"More punch!"

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
capstone
Herd Member

"More punch!"

Postby capstone » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:27 am

This is my Swiss instructor's comment for me about my conservative riding. Punch as in energy, impulsion, oomph. "If you have more punch, your horse will have more punch." "Needs more punch!"

English is not her first language but I find the imagery very helpful. For both the Swiss lesson horse and for my own Cartier here at home.

Today, my TX trainer was trying to get more out of me in my lesson. At one point, she asked how the canter felt. (I know that is almost never a good sign). My response was "safe". It felt safe. She said "Safe will get you a 6. If you want an 8, you have to be bold."

For context, this is following a particularly humbling recent showing where we barely broke 60 and placed last due to my uncommitted riding. I previously would not have believed Cartier could score that low, but I failed to appropriately account for the impact of my bad riding. Stupid, I know. That won't be happening again if I can help it. If my travel/work schedule doesn't lend itself any better than that, I guess I won't be showing anytime soon.

I'm hoping this will bring a breakthrough and lead to better things.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: "More punch!"

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:06 am

I like that safe, rocking horse canter, too. And yeah, I get the "More! Bigger!" comment. I can see how the "more punch!" visual would work.

However, there's knowing it and doing it... sigh...

I'm fully expecting to get marmelized for excessive caution at this coming weekend's clinic. But I'm feeling old and sore and utterly not bold at the moment.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:11 am

Moutaineer wrote:I'm fully expecting to get marmelized for excessive caution at this coming weekend's clinic. But I'm feeling old and sore and utterly not bold at the moment.

Natalie Lamping is coming in for a clinic this weekend. I am going to pass. :oops:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:18 am

I've just looked down the rider list for mine this weekend and realized I'm probably 30-35 years older than the rest of them. If anyone calls me "an inspiration" I might hit them.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:23 am

Moutaineer wrote:I've just looked down the rider list for mine this weekend and realized I'm probably 30-35 years older than the rest of them. If anyone calls me "an inspiration" I might hit them.

Lol. Who is your clinician? I might opt in if it were someone kindler and gentler. But Natalie is no nonsense.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:28 am

Never ridden with this lady before... Verena Mahin from California. I signed up in a moment of staleness and needing an outing. I'm sure I will learn stuff and it's at a lovely facility, so it should be entertaining.

Yes, I'd have to be feeling full of intestinal fortitude to ride for Natalie. She's judged me a few times and she's quite (correctly) forthright :)

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:42 am

I like the "punch" phrase too. My instructor says, "Don't let him feel like a rocking horse, BOUNCE him underneath you!"

So many shows where I've ridden the lengthened canter, thought I was really going for it and flying. And then I watch the video afterwards, and it's like we're ambling up the long side. So embarrassing :D
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:53 am

mari wrote:I like the "punch" phrase too. My instructor says, "Don't let him feel like a rocking horse, BOUNCE him underneath you!"

So many shows where I've ridden the lengthened canter, thought I was really going for it and flying. And then I watch the video afterwards, and it's like we're ambling up the long side. So embarrassing :D

Video, yes I think we need video - as hard as it would be to watch.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Never ridden with this lady before... Verena Mahin from California. I signed up in a moment of staleness and needing an outing. I'm sure I will learn stuff and it's at a lovely facility, so it should be entertaining.

Yes, I'd have to be feeling full of intestinal fortitude to ride for Natalie. She's judged me a few times and she's quite (correctly) forthright :)

She's done some clinics up here I have heard very good reports, would go to audit next time.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:01 pm

Thank you! I'm getting good feedback, which always helps.

Now, it needs to not snow any more for a few days.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:30 pm

I wish you all boldness and punch-y rides!

As the rider of a wiggly, not huge mover, my task is always to align the planets (aka the mare) for optimum throughness and then *punch it out* with my sit bones. This is the only way we can get close to a medium trot. It is interesting to me that she doesn't find this annoying, but rather clarifying ("she really means trot my heart out! her sit bones are speaking to me!!").

Last night I was exploring punching it out in canter by riding with the reins in one hand and really leaning back. We were starting to get some very nice reactions forward and back.

In sum, I remind you all that it is a lot easier to be "bold" with my little Lusitano x as the movement is just plain smaller. I have to ride boldly to get into the 7 range. So hats off to you and I wish you boldness and wonderful rides on your lovely horses.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:20 pm

mari wrote:I like the "punch" phrase too. My instructor says, "Don't let him feel like a rocking horse, BOUNCE him underneath you!"

We tend to get too much bounce, up and down with not enough forward progress. My trainer loves to remind me that collected gaits are not called for at training level. I can often more easily get pirouette canter than even true working canter. Embarrassing. And when we start passageing - just kill me.
Last edited by capstone on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:29 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I wish you all boldness and punch-y rides!

As the rider of a wiggly, not huge mover, my task is always to align the planets (aka the mare) for optimum throughness and then *punch it out* with my sit bones. This is the only way we can get close to a medium trot. It is interesting to me that she doesn't find this annoying, but rather clarifying ("she really means trot my heart out! her sit bones are speaking to me!!").

Last night I was exploring punching it out in canter by riding with the reins in one hand and really leaning back. We were starting to get some very nice reactions forward and back.

In sum, I remind you all that it is a lot easier to be "bold" with my little Lusitano x as the movement is just plain smaller. I have to ride boldly to get into the 7 range. So hats off to you and I wish you boldness and wonderful rides on your lovely horses.

Leaning back...yes, I need to do that. Or just sit straight upright. That does help when I think I'm boldly asking but I'm actually blocking.

And smaller v. bigger movers...I did originally intend to get something smaller. I wouldn't trade him for the world but he is challenging for me to ride well. In a good, productive way though. Which is what I needed.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:31 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I wish you all boldness and punch-y rides!

Oh, and thank you!

MaryC
Novice

Postby MaryC » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Love MORE PUNCH! Rode in a monthly clinic in which the clinician (whom I adore) said, "This is a nice trot. We don't want nice. Nice is boring. We want BOOM!". So now our mantra is "BOOM BOOM trot"! BOOM is powerful, forward, connected, and NOT BORING!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:17 pm

I ride a TB, so there is a fine line between more "punch" and running. The only way I really know if I've asked for too much is when he flattens his trot or canter, then I know to take it back just a touch and re-engage those hind quarters. My goal these past few years is to never see "not enough forward" or "too conservative" in the comment section of his dressage tests. So far so good, although we still get "running" on our mediums or "not enough change", but it's 2nd level--there's a lot going on there. :P

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:52 am

Sue B wrote:My goal these past few years is to never see "not enough forward" or "too conservative" in the comment section of his dressage tests.

This would be a good goal for me as well.

According to my trainer, I had a breakthrough today. And she has been very clear that it is all me - she could take him out and put in a respectable PSG test now, so she says.

The breakthrough required short reins, stable hands, and lots of decisive "GO" in the form of effective as opposed to nagging leg aids.

It was exhausting. And also seems to have caused a relapse on the bronchitis that I really should be trying harder to get over. We'll see if the breakthrough holds next time.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:17 am

MaryC wrote:Love MORE PUNCH! Rode in a monthly clinic in which the clinician (whom I adore) said, "This is a nice trot. We don't want nice. Nice is boring. We want BOOM!". So now our mantra is "BOOM BOOM trot"! BOOM is powerful, forward, connected, and NOT BORING!

This would do the trick too! Good idea!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:29 am

We had "more tempo!!!" in all the trot work--particularly shoulder in to renvers, where he happily dies as I'm trying to organize all my limbs and keep him forward ... And yes, it was exhausting, but enlightening. Especially watching it on video.

Return to “Dressage Training”