Keep Calm and Canter On: May and June Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Keep Calm and Canter On: May and June Goals and Progress

Postby Flight » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Khall, yep still doing some WE. Our club is on hold due to covid, but we should be starting up again next month. I might enter one of the online comps, I've had a couple of run through the WE united Advanced test. It's one handed so there's a couple of spots I'm not quite coordinated enough to bother sending an entry in.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:29 am

SF I ride 3 horses and was just using the Vinici for all 3. I was concerned it was not the right saddle for them all so I had a fitter out. She reps for Adam Ellis saddles that are made in England, lovely saddles and not as pricey as Black Country are now. So brought this one for me to try. We thought it was good for all 3 of mine and she looked at the BC on Rip and it fit him well. She prefers the Adam Ellis because the channel on it is wider that on the BC. Nice wide panels on it too. It turned out though during the trial period the Adam Ellis was just not right for Rip or Gaila, my two WBs. Too wide on Rip and just shifted too much on Gaila but fits Joplin to a T. I really did not want to put much work on her in a saddle that was not quite wide enough (the Vinici) so am glad I tried the AL out.

It rides just a bit wider than the Vinici does but not uncomfortably so. It also is a bit shorter in the panels than the Vinic which is best for my short back Lusitano girl yet fits me just fine. I'm pretty happy with it for sure and did not break the bank to buy it.

I have found it hard to find these open head or hoop tree saddles that work on my horses. Duetts which are low end hoop tree just did not fit my guys. I've had one for Joplin's dam who is long gone now and it did not fit anyone else so sold it long ago.

Here's a picture on Joplin
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 9053031070

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:16 am

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure I'll need to go the hoop tree route with Tesla, but she sure has some big honkin' spinal processes, so a wide channel will be a must. My majickal Vinici almost fits her, but I have it flocked for Annabelle right now (I had it made for my Appy, Maya, and it fit Rosette to a T, and then Annabelle grew into it as she filled out, which is why I call it majickal ;) ). I absolutely need a forward flap for my ridiculous femurs, so I'll likely have to spring for something custom regardless.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Well, I went to my first show of the season this past weekend and it was a real mess. The work is there at home and MM was obedient at the show. But I really struggled. I have never been a great show rider, but at 3rd level I am also feeling a lot of imposter syndrome and I just choked in both my tests.

I let the first thing going wrong become a domino and everything just unraveled. So, there were lots of stupid mistakes. Not only that, but it's so frustrating to see video of my rides and compare it to videos at home--my position for whatever reason totally goes to shit. Even more maddening is that videos of the warm-up show my normal riding position, then suddenly i go into the arena and god knows what I'm doing all of a sudden or why. MM is no different from home to show or from warm up to arena. But I am so much. I'm not totally sure how to combat it. For whatever reason, I don't have this problem at schooling shows, only recognized ones. So, getting practice in a lower stakes/lower cost/easier to do way is also not so easy.

For the time being, I think I need to take a step back from showing MM and figure out a way to combat my imposter syndrome anxiety. So much of my riding/horse life has been with young/green horses. I feel very confident and capable in many aspects of riding and training, but all of them involve the early stages. I don't feel think that I am capable of being a third level+ rider. I just don't have the finesse, precision, or strength for it.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:56 pm

Yeah, third is a real achievement Blob- good for you getting out there to do such a hard level.
I liked the book Inside Your Ride, might want to take a look.
Can you do another show again soon? Would it help to do a few shows in a row? Sometimes if I know I won't have another "chance" soon it puts too much pressure on a single ride for me.
Can you get a coach for the shows? I have a couple of coaches who I trust who also work with my mindset and goals. Not just "go do the test" but how to think about showing. I used to show on my own and that was ok, but the harder it gets the more I want the moral support.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Yeah, third is a real achievement Blob- good for you getting out there to do such a hard level.
I liked the book Inside Your Ride, might want to take a look.
Can you do another show again soon? Would it help to do a few shows in a row? Sometimes if I know I won't have another "chance" soon it puts too much pressure on a single ride for me.
Can you get a coach for the shows? I have a couple of coaches who I trust who also work with my mindset and goals. Not just "go do the test" but how to think about showing. I used to show on my own and that was ok, but the harder it gets the more I want the moral support.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, Rye. I will look into "Inside Your Ride". My trainer was at the show. He is wonderful, but once I'm in that arena I am on my own, ha. I will talk to him more about all of this and see if we can't come up with a better game plan for my mindset or if he has suggestions of resources/people who can help.

We do have at least one show in the area each month through october, so opportunities are there when I feel ready. though i do think I need some time to sort my brain out.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Inside Your Ride: Mental Skills for Being Happy and Successful with Your Horse
Book by Tonya Johnston
^^^ this one.
Sorry I missed you had a trainer with- that is a huge help!
For me I just need to do things a few times, my problem comes in with NOT doing stuff to make it a bigger deal than it actually is. I tend to want to wait till things are perfect, which is actually a bad thing as we are actually "ready' and I don't give myself the credit.
Can you do some shows at second level? is it specifically when you get to third? for me my wall has been second as the sitting has been hard on my current horse (Do not ask me why, but we are finally getting it sorted)

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:47 pm

Blob, I want to change your screen name to “accomplished rider” or “looks great on a horse!”. As Ryeissa pointed out, third level is a real achievement. You’ve posted enough pictures that I can tell you’re a good rider and definitely not an imposter (or a blob!) I haven’t shown much, but I know from reading lots that even top competitors have shows where things just go from bad to worse. Don’t forget that you are just coming back from an injury, and also, you probably are still worrying about MM’s loading issue. Those things will get better.

I’ve been taking lessons for 2 1/2 years now and I recently told my trainer that I ride so much better at home but when I get in a lesson I feel like I am falling apart. She said the same thing happens to her!!! And she’s an accomplished GP rider and trainer.

I am looking forward to more nice pics of you and your mounts.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:36 pm

I wondered why your username is Blob, blob! You are an accomplished rider.
The same thing happens to me a bit at shows and I find it's a bit depressing! So much effort and $ to show and then I can't get it anywhere near as good as at home. When I did PSG for the first time, and wore the tails, even going into the warmup I had that imposter syndrome. In fact I'm pretty sure I warmed up where no one else was.
I've videoed a few run through tests at home, to think about submitting for some of these online 'comps' and it brings up the similar issues of maybe trying too hard? I'd suggest doing that for practice. I"m going to do more of it at home and try to get through it.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks everyone, for words of encouragement and suggestions. Blob is a playful nickname among friends and not because I think I am a useless blob, i promise!

Rye, I'm definitely not a great show rider at any level. But the imposter syndrome wall is definitely hitting me hard at third. I think it's because it's a level where many of the aspects introduced at this level (HP & changes) are things I actually have very little experience riding in any capacity. So, it's not just that there are aspects of the work that are challenging for me and MM as a pair because of our strengths/weaknesses, but also because I don't really have experiences with prior horses to give me some experience and feel (and the confidence that comes from experience and feel).

Demi, thanks for the reminder that showing is hard and challenging for anyone.

Flight, that's a great suggestion about videoing more tests at home. I think even if I don't send them to online competitions, even just the work of riding tests more and more often and looking at them with an eye for what to improve will be helpful.

I also think I need to up the level of work so we have more room for buffer and mistakes and so that I am more excited about the strong parts of our test, instead of just relieved.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:39 pm

Blob-- Show riding is a whole skillset of its own and it just takes time to develop. There's a good book by Kyra Kyrklund that talks about her path to GP. She said you've got to go through 1000 GP tests in order to feel comfortable at GP... but there's no rule that says you've got to physically ride them. When I read that as a teenager (and a very literal-minded, no-fluffy-stuff, STEM-sort of one at that) I wrote it off as a load of hooey. But to this day before every show I "ride" my test in the aisle on foot, and I visualize where real transitions are, where my half-halts need to be, where the shoulders are likely to stray or the haunches are likely to fall out. And I'll be darned if it doesn't actually work.

All that aside, I really only feel competent at a level when I'm comfortably schooling at least a level above. And even then, impostor syndrome is a real and debilitating thing. But you belong out there, you're good enough, and you have done a wonderful job with your horse.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:Blob-- Show riding is a whole skillset of its own and it just takes time to develop. There's a good book by Kyra Kyrklund that talks about her path to GP. She said you've got to go through 1000 GP tests in order to feel comfortable at GP... but there's no rule that says you've got to physically ride them. When I read that as a teenager (and a very literal-minded, no-fluffy-stuff, STEM-sort of one at that) I wrote it off as a load of hooey. But to this day before every show I "ride" my test in the aisle on foot, and I visualize where real transitions are, where my half-halts need to be, where the shoulders are likely to stray or the haunches are likely to fall out. And I'll be darned if it doesn't actually work.

All that aside, I really only feel competent at a level when I'm comfortably schooling at least a level above. And even then, impostor syndrome is a real and debilitating thing. But you belong out there, you're good enough, and you have done a wonderful job with your horse.

Blob, et al - big, big ditto!

Imposter syndrome - if you and your coach/trainer/instructor believe the horse (and thus the pair) is capable then there is no such thing. I am mesmerized by the very concept in the fact that, based on your posts, pictures and videos over the years, you would ever conjure up such.

I am fortunate in that I never had test anxiety as a kid - that means for academic tests or showing. I was lucky, really lucky, in that my parents always made me feel like if I put in the effort then I had a right to 'test' myself in front of those who pass judgment. Now, from the get go I failed from time to time but the few accomplishments I did achieve fueled my fire. I never have nor will I ever fear failing. I fear never having tried and not living for the chance to try. I'm not advocating it though I will say having shown at schooling shows so often on horses that were 'barely there' and in tests I have quite literally never ridden before that day (I had ridden the level just not the test) that I suppose I actually 'live' the imposter syndrome LOL.......and continue to ride/show/hold my own. Of course I see SCHOOLING shows as just that - for schooling and learning. Recognized shows I do understand are a different ball of wax but other than making sure the horse is competent at that level, I don't 'feel' that they are any different. My attitude and approach to the recognized shows is relatively nonchalant almost as nonchalant as my approach to schooling shows except I do at least bathe and braid my horse (and try to make myself presentable in appearance). I also am so very guilty of not caring what other's think. I am the proverbial loner which comes with its pluses and minuses; but, being one so dedicated it does give me liberty to do what I want without the handicap of needing to 'belong, feel worthy of being there' or fear of being an imposter.

I have no doubt you'll put in 'better' tests as time goes on and reap the rewards. Your post does give me some vindication, though, of being one who has always marched to the beat of a different drum and not worried about it..... :roll: You might try it and find it as liberating as I do ;)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Like Ponichiwa I train a level above what I am showing. It takes a lot of the stress away.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:31 pm

I have found for me, it helps to have friends help/show up, etc as then I don't get "in my own head" as much and go down that road. I also regularly have my trainer ride my horse through tests a level above what I want to show to get pointers. It helps me to see my horse do the test with a better rider so know what I can ask for at a show/the quality I can expect, or where we need to change and do a lower level.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:33 pm

There are some good mindset books out there, Chop Wood Carry Water is really good. But there are lots others, sometimes it's helpful to get a different perspective on how your thinking process is going.

Mixed bag the last few days. Sunday I got stung by a hornet on two fingers on my left hand while doing some gardening by our front porch. While it hurt at the moment and I ran away screaming (a little bit) they seemed fine the rest of the day. Not so the next day, GIANT SAUSAGE FINGERS and SUPER ITCHY. I'm at work trying to not fall asleep after taking a benedryl to combat the reaction and it got progressively worse, starting to swell into the hand. Well f*#&.

Used an online doctor visit to get script called in for steroids and they are slowly improving. I got on for a walk hack yesterday, just in the arena. Didn't feel wise to do more than that as fingers could only close about 90% and my hand didn't feel strong.

I'm hoping that I'll be good to go tomorrow and get some good rides in as... we are going to my trainers for a lesson on Saturday! I'm excited and in desperate need of direction. 4 year olds are hard, 5 year olds are worse. Kora is now 5. :lol:

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Sorry to read about the hand Aleuronx and boy do I know about the 5 year old - you can't make me.....or.....temper tantrum stage though fortunately Junior's 'tweenage' defiant 'year' was actually very short-lived and relatively mild.

Well I just learned after returning from vacation that my coach has covid; so, hoping she recovers quickly and uneventfully. I got back this past weekend and got on Junior finding that he pretty much was willing to pick up where we left off. I'm really working on quickening his hind legs and closing up the 'box or base' so-to-speak and of course perfecting all the transitions. I've been randomly asking for a flying lead change here and there, no drilling of any kind, and he's been good to offer it and manage to be clean just not expressive which is A-okay with me for now. Our 'show season' appears to be starting back in August but with all the restrictions and priority given to those 'needing' qualifying scores (limited number of rides due to the restrictions) I'm going to sit the season out, at least until fall. In fact I'm leaning towards not showing again until Junior can turn in a solid third level test. I really don't have any good reason to show any sooner than that at this point. I put a stick on him because he just looked taller to me when I got back. With the development of more muscling over his wither and back he's measuring 14.3 now with shoes.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:38 pm

Blob, I hear you on the imposter syndrome. I still dry heave before tests, no matter what level. This last outing is the first time in the ring that I was able to actually think, despite the nerves. I think what helped me was going out and doing a lot of shows and a lot of tests - basically just practicing dealing with the nerves, and using my warmups as checklists. I also don't really vary my warm up from my normal schooling, which gives me the opportunity to feel what kind of horse I have under me. We'll see... my guess is when we step back up the levels, I'll be a mess again. I'll also admit that after EVERY test, I can't even say thank you to the judge because I'm always choked up with stress tears. Totally embarrassing. Which makes it worse.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:48 am

I was saying to my trainer in my last lesson that I was really enjoying a low-pressure, no showing summer--everything around here got cancelled. and none of us are up for traveling out of state (and we really aren't welcome anywhere else, anyway with our dismal COVID stats.) It's nice to be able to dig in and train detail without distractions. In a small dressage community like this, in a normal year one feels obligated to rock up at a few shows to support the people who put the effort into putting them on and to help keep the sport active, but I do find them disruptive of the training process at this point.

We started playing with canter pirouettes the other day. Apparently we have a bit of a gift for them (anyone who has seen one of his 180 degree spooks could probably tell that :)), he thinks they are fun, and they really get him on his hind end.

I rode this afternoon with a wild thunderstorm and heavy rain hammering on the arena--an electric, "up" ride! It's going to be a cold, wet couple of days, so there will probably be more of them.

Best wishes to your coach, exvet. I hope she has a mild case and makes a swift and complete recovery.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:20 pm

Thank you Mountaineer, you and me, both.

We were in the high 90s yesterday with high winds. We're in for a repeat today. The horses were running around playing and racing like they were in it for their lives this morning when I went out to feed. Nice break from what it's been. I too am enjoying just riding. Took Junior out on a peaceful trail ride yesterday and then came home and worked in hand. Have to work today so I'm hoping it doesn't heat up too much before I have another chance to ride.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Well....I did it! The Cowpony and I showed Grand Prix at a recognized show :mrgreen:

As we all know, being able to perform at a recognized show is harder than performing at a schooling show which is harder than performing a test at home which is harder than performing movements at home. So there was some learning-through-experience going on. This is the first time we've shown at a recognized dressage show in almost 3 years.

Saturday we made some mistakes -- mubbled several of the maneuvers, and the ol' not-quite-straight-on-centerline details, letting him travel in the piaffe, you know the deal. Sunday was MUCH better, cleaner, etc and I was so proud of that.

We missed our qualifying score by a couple percentage points, but the judge was quite tough in her scores (fair, just tough!). For perspective there was a handful of people in our class and I won it. Her comments were nothing but kind, with a sort of a "you're getting it, keep going, it's a work in progress" theme.

I am very excited to finally get back into the showing routine. I'm excited to get experience showing the GP. I'm excited I was able to improve my riding from one ride to another, and that my horse was there and did everything he could do for me. I'm excited we were just barely short, even with a tough judge.

To paraphrase something my hero exvet has said in the past, that kind of score at GP for an amateur on her self-trained QH for their first-ever GP and first dressage show in years is nothing to be ashamed of.

So back to practicing....I'll get it next time :mrgreen:

PS....the show was quite small. They had extensive safety measures in place, all the paperwork and money was done virtually before the show, temperature checks when you came in the gate, rigorous cleaning, everyone wore masks except when they were riding, people seemed to be socially distancing. I thought it was handled extremely well!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:56 pm

Great to hear everyone's update. And thanks to everyone for their thoughts and experiences re: imposter syndrome and the struggles of showing.

CONGRATS, KELO!! What a big accomplishment to ride your horse in your first recognized GP. What an exciting moment. So glad you got good feedback and had an overall great experience even if you'd have loved scores to be a bit higher.

MM and I are in bootcamp. Well, I am in bootcamp. I had a long talk with my instructor and he and I are working on really pushing our work. Which is less about MM and more about me holding a higher standard for the movements I do and for keeping my body and position better. I've gone back to the snaffle for a bit so I can focus on short reins more easily (MM is really uncomplicated in the mouth and goes well in both double and snaffle). In my lesson on sunday, my reins felt crazy short, though my instructor showed me via video that they were not absurdly short like they felt. But, it was hard keeping my reins short, my leg at the girth, my hips open, and more horse moving at the same time. Took a lot of thinking and core strength.

RP has had a bit of a weird week. After doing well for a couple of weeks, including some really nice canter work. He's started stopping and going backwards. At first I thought it was happening at times when he was asked for something that was challenging. but he does it on free walk with long rein. When he does this, it feels like his lumbar area of one side will suddenly gets very tight and then he just slams on the breaks. And no amount of anything gets him forward going on the track I was one. So, I have to turn onto a circle and then it takes usually a few awkward strides before I feel that lumbar area release and then he'll happily go forward and fine until it happens again. By the end of the ride it stops happening at all. My instructor is worried he might be showing signs of Wobblers. I'm treating him for ulcers again and giving him a week or two off and going from there. I don't think it's wobblers, but I do need to parse out how much is mental v. physical and if it's physical what KIND of physical. So hoping the time off will give me more intel to work with when he's back in work--is he better, worse? the same or different? I've been reading an interesting thread on COTH about pain memory and horses (in this case also a pony who had many previous owners) often anticipate there will be pain after they've experienced it for a long time.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 pm

Congrats Kelo! that is quite an accomplishment!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:21 pm

Congratulations Kelo! You and Matt have done amazing things, and I'm looking forward to seeing your continued progression at GP!

Blob, I hope you get RP's newest issue sorted out. He sounds like quite a puzzle.

I've made a couple changes with Annabelle in the past week or two.

1. Started riding with small spurs. She is being much more obedient to my leg now, and I can ride better as a result of not having to pedal every stride.

2. Switched from an eggbutt to loose ring snaffle. She was tending to lock up her jaw on the left side, and so far, it seems easier to get her a little more supple with the loose ring. I got her a cheaper bit in a 5", but it seems borderline too small, so I have an HS Dynamic in a 5.25" on the way, and fingers crossed that it will be a good investment. I'm also riding her in a PS Sweden Nirak, which has the bit hangers connected to the noseband much like a Micklem. This was all good before, getting her comfortable with contact after being started western, but I'm thinking it might soon be time for her to graduate to a bridle that doesn't have the combined nose/bit action within the next few months.

3. Got her a pair of Scoot Boots for her front feet. She lost a chunk of frog over the winter, and it hasn't grown back very well. She was tolerating the outdoor arena, which has a few rocks and some shredded bark, up until recently. However, lately she's gotten a little footy, and we've been riding in the softer sand of the indoor and avoiding jumping.

So with those changes, we had an excellent lesson this afternoon. No video since it was raining, but I'm hoping I can recreate the same feel on video later this week. Almost all the stickiness in the transitions was gone, and we got some nice canter and really great feeling in the trot work, as well as some pretty passable LY and SI. My instructor will be back next weekend, and I'm hoping to get two rides in while she's here. There is a little schooling show July 25th, so I'm thinking of signing up to ride a couple TL tests there, just to get out and about again.
Last edited by StraightForward on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:35 am

That’s great, Kelo!! Congratulations! Did you get any pictures!!!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:15 am

Woo Hoo Kelo! That is fantastic. Congratulations and hell who of us ever make it to GP, not to say that you completed the test, received good feedback and were encouraged to keep working at it because the ability is there. OMG that is a cloud 9 achievement if there ever was one! Congrats!

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:23 am

That's so good Kelo! Congrats!!! So excited for you!! I can't imagine being able to get through a GP test. It's a huge accomplishment.
Blob, I hope you get RP sorted, it can be so tricky deciphering what is wrong.

I've got a face to face clinic on thurs/fri which I'm looking forward to. I had to sell my soul to get a nighthsift off for it though. I've been working on Ding's piaffe, he is much more upright in his front legs and less dropped through his chest but need to help him bend more through his hind quarters. We've been doing canter zig zags, it's really cool how much ding has got the hang of them, but I'm not entirely sure what I"m doing so again, will look for some help with that.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm

demi wrote: Did you get any pictures!!!!

No, not really -- everything was socially distanced with the absolute bare minimum of people, no spectators allowed. Here's a cell phone snap I took of Matt, though, with his first GP ribbon. :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_2335.jpg
IMG_2335.jpg (173.3 KiB) Viewed 14799 times

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Kelo, wow!! You are my hero. What an incredible accomplishment and one to build on! I just hope to get to PSG one day, that's my 'GP'.

First lesson back with my trainer since February(?) went as to be expected. I'm cheating and not working the trot, but at least I was honest about it upfront!! First worked on straightening the neck to the left, keep the neck coming out straight from between the shoulders. Then the real work. Leg yields from centerline to wall then FULL DIAGONALS. Have I mentioned that I've only done like quarterline, 2 baby steps of leg yield?!? It's time to go to work in the trot and address the tightness behind that is affecting the connection to the hand.

We did the whole lesson in trot. Once she did an acceptable leg yield, walk and pat. Then repeat. And again. Kora was running through the answer options; full pass sideways, canter, counter canter, kick out at the leg, stop, run sideways but always got to a passable leg yield. It's so fun to watch them learn. :lol:

We ended with our homework, no canter for 10 rides. 10 rides!! Just focus on the trot and do exactly this leg yield work, short sets if she gets it right then a walk/mental break. (we are allowed a canter hoon in the fields on a play day but that's it...)

In the lesson the leg yield off the left was harder, then Sunday it swapped to the right and then yesterday swapped back to the left being more difficult. So I think that means we are on the right track! It's gritty work but will be worth it in the long run. At least to get back to cantering... :D

ironbessflint
Greenie

Postby ironbessflint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm

Wow Kelo, congrats!! Gosh that's a huge accomplishment! And love the encouraging comments from the judge.

Moutaineer/exvet, I too am thoroughly enjoying this "training summer" without the shows getting in the way.

So, on the last day of this month I thought I'd look back at the beginning of the thread. Enzo had a colicky weekend that earned him some time off, and then we brought a new filly home, and then we put up hay, and all of a sudden it's been a month since he's done anything. Major fail on my part there! My goal of riding around the ring hasn't even been attempted :P

Anna however, has made SO much progress. The canter/walk transition (which was my primary goal for these two months) is REALLY getting better and quite solidly there. She's getting stronger, but I think our biggest improvement came when my mom mentioned that I sit back so nicely for the up transitions, but maybe I should try sitting back for the downwards ones too :lol: :roll: Sigh...yes, the pony does much better when I keep my a$$ in the saddle. We've been working the string of pearls exercise from one end of the arena to the other, and in four weeks it went from feeling like I'd be doing each circle a dozen times to get either the canter or the walk good enough for the next transition, to now we can pretty much now do each circle once, solid transition, next circle, down and back. So then last week I started playing with canter/walk/counter canter/walk/canter on the long side (which was my "stretch goal"), and she's really GETTING it. A couple of months ago asking for counter canter really blew her mind. I left it alone for a while and now it's just THERE. Interestingly enough, the canter to counter canter is fine, I keep blowing the transition back to true canter at the end. I'm guessing that's ME and not her though!

Trainer is coming for lessons this weekend on Friday AND Sunday, so will definitely have new homework (I mean goals :lol: ) for the July thread!
(last lesson she told me with no shows this summer I should start wrapping my head around starting changes, so... :shock:)

Pics from last weekend...

Working that string of pearls, her canter is really getting lovely

Counter canter is making everything stronger and straighter too. But gee, look who's going to biff the next transition because she's tipping forward again....

And I'm LOVING the cool passage-y trot she offers on her own after all this canter work

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 pm

Yeehaw, Kelo!!! Many congrats!

Darn, I love that little horse, Ironbessflint :)

I ran round this morning getting things done so I could go ride this afternoon, but it was not to be as I got home to find two guys finishing the cabinetry in my master bedroom, and, having sat here at my desk listening to assorted crashes and swearing coming therefrom, I think I need to be here when they think they've finished so I can assess the damage...

We finish the month on a very cold and rainy note here. We haven't cracked 60 for several days. July will come roaring in with a return of heat, no doubt. We've got more done than I thought we might over the last two months, so I'm not displeased with our progress.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:46 pm

Kelo, thanks for the pic of Matt with his blue ribbon!! He looks so cool. I think he should have diamonds on his browband ! Did you show GP in a snaffle? That’s very impressive!

Ironbessflint, beautiful pics. Thanks for posting. So enjoyable to see. I am also glad you posted about leaning forward in the down transitions because I think it may be part of my own problem. I will watch my vid from today yet again and keep it in mind as I watch.

I videoed training level test 3 today. She got so strong (or at least it felt like it) after the first canter that I took a time out to do some trot/canter/ trot/walk transitions. Then I went back to the test and after the second canter (left lead which is her good one) she was even stronger! So instead of doing the stretchy trot circle, I did a walk on a long rein, and didn’t even finish.

But, after watching the vid several times and going through all sorts of self criticism, I suddenly realized it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it was. It even had some good moments. The problems that I was feeling weren’t all that visible. There were certainly some crap moments, but in retrospect I think i should have finished the test. I’ll do it again tomorrow.

I went through the process of posting to YouTube again. We have slow internet, but man, it takes for-EVER to download. I would like to send tomorrow’s test to my trainer and have her judge it. I think just going through the whole process is something I need to do to progress. I can imagine a sequence here. If I can get to the point of sending my trainer tests, I might gain enough confidence to try the virtual showing that KathyK did.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:00 pm

Oh, and Covid is increasing significantly in Texas after the reopening attempts. DH does reports for Red Cross and from his perspective he thinks I should suspend my lessons again :( So I’m glad I’m getting used to self video and all the computer stuff involved in virtual dressage. I know for some of the virtual shows all you need is a cell phone, but I like having the soloshot for zooming and tracking. I can see that a cell phone with no zoom or tracking capability would level the playing field for shows, but for lessons I think zoom and track is better.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:23 am

Good to hear and see everyone's progress. Kelo...we know your cow pony is a ROCKSTAR! Congrats on the first GP.

My riding is kind of hit and miss. We have had a monsoon June...very odd for the high desert and there have been stretches of time that the outdoor arena was not rideable. When we can't get out there, I set up trot poles and lunge in the indoor so she gets some kind of exercise. I have been pleased with her work. I have been shortening the distance a bit and asking her to close up her frame. It can be a challenge to get her to go through them in a relaxed, elastic manner. I swear she feels that the object of the poles is to see how fast she can get through them. Most days, she will listen to me though.

I have started adding in a bit of counter canter if her true canter is 'up' and straight. One clinician I used to ride with had a basic exercise to introduce CC and I like it. Start out in CC on the long side and canter the short side (in CC) and take the diagonal which puts you back on the true lead. She did it quite well although on left lead CC she got crooked so lost her balance on the diagonal and sped up. So, we tried it again and got a much better effort on the straightness part and therefore didn't tip on her nose and rush off on the diagonal.
I also finally felt controlled enough in my body to ask for some lengthened trot. She has a pretty nice one if you get her set up just right. Yes...it was there..yeah. I haven't really tried since I started riding again. I wanted her a bit more fit and with the weight gain, I just didn't feel very in control of my body and hated to subject her to my flailing around. However, we gave it the old college try the other day and she was very eager to try. I was trying for just 3-4 steps then back to working trot. Baby steps, grasshopper.

This week is kind of crazy again...I liked it better when I had no appointments and no place to be.

Happy riding all.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:10 am

I havev new horse to ride at the barn, so I think for my age and time, I am full. I really have to talk myself into to ride my own third horse each day. Perhaps I'm finally old enough to need ti get fit to ride, instead of riding to stay fit.

Caliburn is entered in his first show. I have too many clients riding so I have my working student entered to ride him. Depending on rider times I may try to get on him for one class. Its really not easy to ride my own horse at a show where I am also shepherding others.

Kimba is collecting much better but also over reacting . I have to be very tactful and yet uncompromising. She is a boss mare so she kind of likes to take over. So quiet aids but insistent is my goal..

Saiph is progressing , she is more off the leg into contact. She is funny if she genuinely spooks she gets over it quickly but if she decides she doesn't like a spot on the wall any time I do not truly have her in the outside rein she will counter bend and look at it. So four horses in full training, three of my own, 3 in partial training and more lessons because NJ is actually doing OK with Covid19 reopening, and a full time overnight job. No wonder I haven't cut my sheep fields yet. I look out and the grass is nearly as high as the sheep are. Grrr.

On a personal note my grey streak is a wide as a skunks and I am just living with it. I haven't gained weight back. Yay. And I have learned to live with short short nails.

I am actually living my best life. I hope everyone is as happy as I am

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:20 pm

Closeout time. Basically hit all my goals with Annabelle, but none of the others.

Somehow I don't feel like I have more time with working from home. But I've also been doing lots of yard work and transitioning to a new job, which has meant balancing my new and old jobs for a while. I'm theoretically 98% done with the old job, so I might have the headspace to start Tesla and work out more regularly.

Annabelle took a big jump forward with some recent bit, boot and spur changes, so I'm looking forward to the next two months. Keeping calm and cantering on has definitely paid off.

StraightForward wrote:Seemed like an appropriate title for this time.

Annabelle:

We are having our first lesson in over 18 months tomorrow! My instructor will be back two more times this month, and I'm hoping more frequently afterwards since she won't be busy showing for a while.
Keep the sessions more short and focused so she can build her back without getting too sore.
Focus on throughness and straightness.
Reintroduce trot lateral work in a more real way.

Tesla:

Ride that beast and stay on the top side! :lol:

Me:

Run 10 miles a week.
Complete all the Feldenkrais videos that are waiting for me.
Ride my house horse a few hours each work day.
Gym 1x per week if it re-opens. Otherwise kettlebells once the heavy yard work is finished up.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:46 pm

so goals:
fc, fc, fc
develop more power in mediums
play with piaffe/half steps at least once a week
go somewhere, anywhere
restart canter work for Tio
hop over low jumps and small gymnastics

So in terms of stated goals: no fc lately, play with piaffe/half steps once weekly, haven't gone anywhere, started canter, hopping over low jumps.

Weather has definitely been a factor in getting to ride. For instance, it started raining Sunday early morning and pretty much did not stop until Tuesday night, which meant my arena was not rideable until last night and even the roads were a little iffy. Temps range from high 80's to high 40's for daytime highs and we almost had snow a couple of times. Can be a little difficult for humans and horses to adapt. Anyway, Ii did get a ride in last night and Saturday before the rains hit. Saturday was very muggy with little breeze, in the upper 80's, so one would think that horses would be subdued but no...! Rudy was a complete snot, even challenging me when I hopped off and worked him from the ground instead. He was in full "stallion" mode, daring me to "make" him do what I wanted. Those rare times, it is very tempting to physically go after him (hit him with the whip or jerk on the reins) but all he really respects is assertive body language and (possibly) raised voice. (Don't know about the yelling, but I have to let off steam in some fashion that doesn't negatively impact the work.) I can always tell when he's in one of those "moods" because he'll be a twit about being caught, fussy about being led and tied, and just pushy in general. He was great walking down the road but as soon as I headed into the arena he sucked back behind my leg so I knew I was in trouble. From the saddle, he later threatened to rear, from the ground he threatened to bite and strike, but eventually he settled down and did some beautiful work. Last night he was a sweet as peach pie. Lol

Tio was also a little wound up Saturday, but that's when he does his best work. His canter both directions is so much more balanced than 2 years ago and he's really starting to lift and swing in the trot (rising and sitting). He can now step into trot from halt about 50% of the time, but still requires quite a few walk steps going trot to halt. I am overall quite pleased with how he's coming along...finally! I hope to take him out in the trailer soon.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:13 pm

demi wrote:
1.) Rocky is still working on keeping an uphill balanced canter, combined with shorter reins.

2.) The right lead canter balance is improving, too, but of course, not as fast as I’d like.

3.)From watching her videos, I think she still isn’t comfortable stretching her left side enough to get the canter carriage that I’m trying for to the right. I am able to get nice moments but she can’t sustain it.

4.)In the meantime, I am working on myself as I ride. I am improving on recognizing where and when I am making mistakes.

I pulled these thoughts from my “goals” post from this thread. At the time I wrote them I was in “just enjoy my horse” mode and didnt actually number them. I still worked on them and have improved in all but #3.

1.) Short reins has been challenging but overall it’s much better than it was two months ago. We got better for a while, then regressed, then got better again.

2.) The right lead is better than two months ago but still a WIP.

3.) I forgot about the stiff left side and didnt specifically work on it. I think it’s getting better though, because in order to ride with short reins, I have to keep her stepping up from behind and in that frame (the f word :shock: ) it’s easier to bend her around my leg in both directions. Because of being able to bend her around my leg she stretches her outside around every corner.

4.) I am riding better than 2 months ago because I video a lot of my rides and then watch the vids several times. I make the corrections in my head as I watch, and then when I ride the next day, I “hear” my corrections. “Get your shoulders back!” , “relax your leg down”, “tuck your seat”, “don’t draw your heels up when you use your leg”, “don’t let her hind quarters drift in before you ride corners on the right rein” and “don’t let your reins get long!!”.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:19 pm

Kelo-- Congratulations! That's such an accomplishment. Matt looks pretty nonplussed in his ribbon photo-- it's hard being that good all the time.

Ironbessflint-- lovely photos. I'm such a sucker for the blonde horses.

End-of-session wrap up (as always, just a little bit late):

Ponichiwa wrote:Here's where we're headed over the next ~8 weeks:

Queso:
- Continue working on halfpass in trot and canter. He's got the mechanics, but has bobbles in the balance (as to be expected). Plan to touch on half pass 2-3x/week and focus on maintaining or improving the gait quality within it.
- Continue working on canter/walk/canter. As above, understanding is there but he's not quite strong enough to keep the balance and throughness all the time. Introduce alternating leads (left canter to walk to right canter etc.).
- Counter canter-- I've introduced cantering on bended lines but we've not yet gone full counter-canter. This may dovetail with the above.
- Flying changes? We'll see

I've managed to do all of these. Counter canter is going to be really easy for The Melty Cheese-- we did the serpentine excerpt from 2-3 yesterday like he's been counter cantering his whole life.

Bigger fish to fry: building the strength to carry his brisket up in all the work. He's got plenty of sit but needs to develop more muscle and balance to consistently pick up off his forehand.

Ponichiwa wrote:Me:
- Walk or stationary bike 5x/week
- Journal progress with the Quesonator
- Mind the alcohol intake... (damn you, quarantine)

1) Check. I've been taking the dogs for 2-3 mi walks every day during this work-from-home period. It's a heady cocktail of benefits: I get to clear my head between meetings, the dogs get to go out and about, and I get to reap the benefits of additional exercise.

2) Almost complete fail here. Not sure why it's so difficult to pick up a journaling habit again, but going to try once more.

3) Check. As a result (+ some dietary changes, like not baking multiple loaves of bread per week and eating them all), I'm down 11 lb since June 1. Only OH GOD TOO MANY to go.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Another wrap up of sorts (really just the ongoing work in progress ;) ); so, the "give him a target as to where to land his hind feet in my hands" has continued to work and result in having a horse that is reaching over this back and all ...the....way....into...the...bridle. I was just admiring Junior's muscling over his top line last night while I was filling up the water troughs.......after all I think he's the real judge and his muscling and conditioning will continue to be the 'proof'.

Breaking down each piece of the simple change and thus the flying change (work on simple to the point of no walk steps in between) has helped a lot. My preparation for the canter has become more exacting and prompt so his transitions have become quicker as well and we have achieved a few seamless flying changes to date.

My goals were:

1. Introduce the flying changes - check
2. Improve the walk pirouettes - they're correct but we need to make them smaller - check to the left, still working on the right
3. Continue to work on the lateral movements including half pass at all three gaits so that he's consistently coming through and maintaining the forward power for each stride - check - definitely helping to mobilize his shoulders, also started cantering on the square to help with all of this.
4. This will get us into the really disgusting hot weather to a point where doing more work in hand, especially piaffe will be coming at the perfect time - check, check and check - very muggy now.

5. As for Ace - just keep trail riding and enjoying the beauty of the desert - he is so much fun, another huge check

6. As for Stinker pony - well he's starting to get itchy but no hair loss yet. Only time will tell if we are able to get through another allergy season without becoming bald. Stinker has kept all his hair and is for the second year looking like a normal pony - I love platinum performance.

Return to “Dressage Training”