Not peeing when she has to

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Not peeing when she has to

Postby Tanga » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:11 am

OK, this isn't exactly a training question, but it sort of is. My older daughter, Quilla, has never liked to pee when I'm on her. We went through a phase where I would ride and wonder what the hell bee was in her bonnet, and then I'd get off (mind you, she was in a nice fluffy area before knowing she was going to be ridden) and she'd pee all over a splashy area. The progressed to we'd have a real not fun time, and then at the end she stopped and peed with me on her, for what seemed like 5 minutes. I could not believe she could move with that much in her bladder, let alone do tempi changes and p/p. Then we sort of hit a point where she realized if we stopped in the middle of a ride she could pee. That's sort of where we are now.

The weather has been going back and forth between pleasant to pretty warm week after week. But I think they spend a lot of time at the trough hanging out and drinking. I was informed by the barn owner that they (i'm sure it was Quinn) had just proceeded to rip off the what I thought was a fool/horse proof cover for the float for the third time and destroyed another float. I have videos. So, I do think they are drinking a lot because of socializing, boredom, heat, and just plain fun.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get her to pee before I ride. I do praise her and whistle when she pees. I've been riding Quinn first and leaving her tied in the arena with lots of cushy, great peeing in sand, but she can't seem to make the leap.

Any ideas? This could be a problem at shows where she REALLY doesn't like to pee, and holding your bladder through an I-2 and GP test could be an issue. I keep thinking I'm going to have one of those stories where right in the middle of a test she will step and pee (because I have encouraged that.)

The younger one, Quinn, always goes off for a poop, and sometimes a pee, when I go and get them in the "pasture."

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Not peeing when she has to

Postby blob » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:43 pm

Following because lately RP has often been peeing immediately when I get off him. He goes fine during the ride, but the fact that he pees IMMEDIATELY after I'm off, tells me he's probably been holding it for a bit.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:28 pm

I had a gelding that did this. Best practice with him (which may or may not be practical depending on your barn setup) was to pull him in from the pasture and stick him in a stall for 10-15 min. I'd busy myself cleaning tack or wrapping polo wraps, and he'd use the time to pee. Fresh shavings appear to be an excellent pee trigger.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 pm

I don't have my horses in stalls, so that's not an option. And I think if I put her in one, she'd probably be more worried about why she was there and pee even less. Arena sand is a great place to pee for mares, so I have switched to riding the younger one first and leaving her tied, but she has yet to pee BEFORE I ride. She waits until I get on her. SIgh.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:17 pm

Tricky, Tanga! I do think mares are extra particular about the situation that they desire.

My mare *never* pees in the arena (or in cross ties---"gross!" she says) and only twice in about 4+ years has pee'd under saddle (on an extra long trail ride). She also never poops in the arena (imagine her rolling her eyes at horses who do--she will hold it for the stall or trail). If I think she needs to go before riding in an arena, I use the pop her in her stall approach. It's a shame that she seems to be litter-box trained, but it is super nice for the barn that keeps her (everything is in a neat pile in her stall and in her paddock).

I would think about warm-up and in-hand strategies for showing and relieving. My mare is much more willing to go in-hand in various "graze" areas which could be like show grounds

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:18 pm

My mare has been pretty good about peeing before we ride. There is a chain that I attach her to in her stall, I put her halter , attach her to the wall then I go and get my saddle, etc. I also take a pee break before I saddle her. 99% of the time she will pee before I put the saddle on. She likes her privacy :D

Maybe give your horse time to pee before you saddle up, my mare knows when she gets the halter on and is tied she will be getting ridden.

Return to “Dressage Training”