A bit of a brag

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

A bit of a brag

Postby KathyK » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:50 pm

My trainer has been encouraging me to send a video to Virtual Horse Sport, an online competitions, coaching, and training website. You can pick from any of the participating judges. These are the current choices:

Judges.png
Judges.png (32.46 KiB) Viewed 6327 times

So, last week we taped my second ever attempt at Third 1, and I sent it to be judged by Natalie Lamping. I was so nervous, and really didn't know what to expect. I got my test and scores today: 65.54 (!), with great on-the-mark comments.

If you're jonesing for some feedback from a highly credentialed, well-respected judge, this is a great way to do it. It's very reasonable, too, just $45.00 per test. No hauling, no stabling, no braiding, no muss, no fuss!

Ryeissa

Re: A bit of a brag

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:15 pm

SUPER! that is awesome. I have done online shows as well but I didn't know of this one- will check it out! That is a super score from a tough judge!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Cool

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:33 am

Congratulations KathyK!! And thanks for posting the info on the program. It sounds interesting. I want to try something similar using my trainer as my judge. I went through the motions today just recording a test and uploading it to youtube. I actually only uploaded 57 seconds of the ride because it was a crappy ride and I just wanted to see if I could handle actually getting it on youtube.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 am

If anyone signs up for a test entry on Virtual Horse Sport, let them know in the comments that you heard about in on the DDBB. They are interested in knowing how people are finding out about it.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:49 am

I’ve tried twice now to go to an actual show with Phoenix and neither time has worked out. Maybe I should just try this!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 pm

If the thrill and excitement of competition (and I mean this sincerely because I get it) is important, then this might not be satisfying. But if a person wants feedback from a respected and learned source, this is a great opportunity.

I plan to submit again to Natalie Lamping in a few months, after working on her suggestions for a better ride.

ironbessflint
Greenie

Postby ironbessflint » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Wow, this sounds great!! I haven't been super keen on a lot of the online shows, but I think I'll sign up for a few tests with this!

(Ridiculously hot and humid this week...should be just like a real show :lol: :lol: :roll: )

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:25 am

Congrats,
Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:47 pm

That's a very validating score! Well done.

And this is with your "newish" partner, too, right? Would love to hear more about what you're learning/developing in your journey.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 pm

Thank you! Yes, we're "newish" to each other, just a little over a year now, and a year with our trainer. B (horse) is a terrific schoolmaster, and I cannot overstate the benefits of riding a schoolmaster. He's not very generous but if I'm correct, he gives me what I ask for. He has a big, strong neck and big, strong shoulders, and knows how to use them to brace against me. I have to talk him into giving, and that's been a real education. Once he's there, I have to keep the conversation going. No zoning out for Kathy!

This is the first horse I've owned that isn't a "kick ride," so that's been quite a learning curve for me. His tendency is to get "amped" at the trot and want to power around. We've fixed that, for the most part, by simply slowly spiraling in and leg yielding out on the 20m circle. He understood that right away, and now needs only the occasional reminder. He does accept the leg well now that I'm learning to use it properly.

I had struggled to ride 2nd level on my previous horse, a game-for-anything but very short-backed guy. We were learning together. I wouldn't call it green on green, but more like the blind leading the blind with very good help of my (then) trainer. We did get from "I don't know how to canter and even if I do I don't want to and I never will" to just starting to learn the flying change, but his very short back made lateral work a struggle.

The most important thing I'm learning is to feel what's happening under me. Is his right shoulder dropping (probably :roll: ), is his hind end following his front, are his footfalls even, is the tempo staying constant?

In addition to the dressage work, once a week we are working with a super H/J trainer who understands dressage. B has taken to it like a duck to water. We are having a lot of fun, but also learning a ton. We haven't actually jumped yet, but we have progressed to cantering little courses of poles on the ground. I would say the most important takeaways so far are 1) I can let go and he will maintain a lovely canter and not fall on his face, and 2) riding straight lines without long legs and a firm bum in the saddle is HARD. :lol:

All in all, I am so very happy with this horse. In addition to being a fun, challenging ride, he has a great personality and is a happy guy.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:38 am

Not to mention really, really, really good looking. ;-)

Congratulations. It sounds like you guys were meant for each other.

Return to “Dressage Training”