Summer of Seclusion: July and August Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Summer of Seclusion: July and August Goals and Progress

Postby blob » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:51 am

Great to hear everyone's progress and updates.

Flight, the hard thing about getting used to sitting a bouncy horse's trot is the only thing that really improves it, is sitting that horse's trot! Is it easier to sit in stretch trot? That's what has helped me build the abs for RP's trot. He's easier to sit in stretch and so I do a lot of sitting trot when he is long and low and on the slower side and when I find my groove, I can pick him back up and ask for more trot.

I am at a strange spot with changes with MM. I've found that if I lope around on a long rein in two point like a hunter, i get clean changes. If i pick up in contact, they're late behind. I'm totally willing to say this is rider error and i'm getting in her way. And I think that's part of it for sure. But when my trainer got on her, he also got nearly every change late behind when she was up in contact in her 'big girl' canter. I honestly think she gets so up in her shoulder that she doesn't quite have the strength or power for her hind end to keep up. When I let her flatten out, however, the shoulder is not jumping up so high and she can make a clean change. So, I think I actually need to learn to flatten out her canter/slow her shoulder in contact in order to get the clean change, which goes against what every trainer has told me about getting clean changes on a horse who wants to be late behind--get a bigger canter, get more jump, get more expression.

RP has been doing well. I am trying to build more strength and confidence in a more up and open frame, which is a work in progress. Some days it is easier than others, other days he really just wants to be low. I try to balance this by letting him stretch for breaks. He seems to be really happy in the new saddle and I can feel a LOT more in terms of what's going on with him. He has a tendency to get a bit stuck in the shoulders sometimes. I've been doing some stretches and releases on the ground as well to help with the shoulders, but I think it is likely going to be a bit of a trouble spot for some time. One of the releases the bodyworker showed me involves running my hand along the shoulder blade and trying to get 'behind it'. It's so interesting to compare this release with MM and RP. With RP this is a tight spot and I can't really get behind the shoulder. With MM, my entire hand will just slip down and disappear behind her shoulder, which is a cool and strange feeling. And then she will give big yawns and go back to eating her hay.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:10 am

Under saddle has seemed amazing, but I have no lessons, video, photo, or even Mom observation (she's 1,000 miles away) to attest to the improvement ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OTOH, I do have real, tangible results from our "get your butt in the trailer" exercises! Maia's now back to loading without real hesitation (just the "aww, do I have to?!") on her own ... with me in front of her ....... we're making steady strides toward self loading, and finding a treat (bucket o' treats). Next up: "get yo' ass in the trailer; hey treats!"

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Flight - I used to have a similar problem riding one of my 'beer keg' shaped welsh cobs in terms of the bouncy trot. It turned out that the twist of the saddle was just too wide for me and I couldn't really get close enough to the horse with my legs to be able to ride with the horse/match her gait. Once I found another saddle that fit her (took a long time) the problem was solved. In the interim one thing that helped was imagining that I was trying to bounce that basketball underneath me with my "whole seat" so that I was going with the arc of flight of the hind legs. It was a work out for sure; but, pictures revealed much less light/air underneath my seat when she was really going for it across the diagonal. That and the pilates is what gave me my six pack abs.

Blob - How is MM's work in hand? I think you've nailed the issues with the flying changes and it's sounds very familiar with challenges I had from the stinker pony. I had to use in hand exercises of piaffe and passage to get him stronger (along with jumping in hand) and to help him understand how to speed up the hind end so he could be quicker behind, change quicker behind, and remain up and open in front. It was a real challenge because I had to figure out that I needed two whips - one to help the hind end become quicker and remain coming underneath and one in front to keep reminding him not to drop or dive his chest/base of his neck. I'm not the most coordinated person so it really took some mental gymnastics for me to get it done let alone the stinker pony but it seemed to work.

As for weather, it cooled down to the mid 70s overnight - hallelujah! It's still going to remain in the low to mid 100s (higher in Phoenix) but just having that breaks makes everyone happier - ponies have been very grumpy with each other lately. Just wish I didn't have to work today.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Flight - I used to have a similar problem riding one of my 'beer keg' shaped welsh cobs in terms of the bouncy trot. It turned out that the twist of the saddle was just too wide for me and I couldn't really get close enough to the horse with my legs to be able to ride with the horse/match her gait. Once I found another saddle that fit her (took a long time) the problem was solved. In the interim one thing that helped was imagining that I was trying to bounce that basketball underneath me with my "whole seat" so that I was going with the arc of flight of the hind legs. It was a work out for sure; but, pictures revealed much less light/air underneath my seat when she was really going for it across the diagonal. That and the pilates is what gave me my six pack abs.

Blob - How is MM's work in hand? I think you've nailed the issues with the flying changes and it's sounds very familiar with challenges I had from the stinker pony. I had to use in hand exercises of piaffe and passage to get him stronger (along with jumping in hand) and to help him understand how to speed up the hind end so he could be quicker behind, change quicker behind, and remain up and open in front. It was a real challenge because I had to figure out that I needed two whips - one to help the hind end become quicker and remain coming underneath and one in front to keep reminding him not to drop or dive his chest/base of his neck. I'm not the most coordinated person so it really took some mental gymnastics for me to get it done let alone the stinker pony but it seemed to work.

As for weather, it cooled down to the mid 70s overnight - hallelujah! It's still going to remain in the low to mid 100s (higher in Phoenix) but just having that breaks makes everyone happier - ponies have been very grumpy with each other lately. Just wish I didn't have to work today.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:16 pm

exvet wrote:

Trainer and I have done some half-step and passage work with me in the tack and him on the ground. I've tried some half step work on the ground and I just haven't figured out how to do it right. MM lunges and long-lines well, so she is no stranger to a work without a rider. But when I have tried piaffe work in hand, she always wants to come in front of me and go around me as if i were lunging her on a the tiniest circle. I might also need two whips--one to keep her parallel and one for the hind end. Or I might just need a few sessions with a second person. She is smart enough that once she knows what I want, I'm fairly confident she won't try to come across and in front. Granted, I might still need two whips to keep her from diving like stinker pony. But at least I won't be trying to keep her from lunging around me also.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:49 am

Blob, I think you are right in that I just have to keep working on it. It's already a bit better after me solidly having a go. We've got rain here now for a couple of days, so I can give his back a rest at least!
I have tried him in a lower frame but it's actually worse. So far, slowing him down and putting him in shoulder in makes it a lot better. I might share some vid and see what suggestions you all might have.

Changes - I had the trouble with late changes and still can get them if I'm not careful. Definitely about the shoulders for me, Dresseur really tried to tell me that was what I needed to control and it took me a while to figure out just how. Norsey has such a big shoulder compared to his hindquarter.

Exvet - I really don't want it to be the saddle's fault. I paid a small fortune for the one I've got and Norsey has such huge wide vertebra and needed gusseted panels, it was hard to find something to fit. I suspect it's not helping my cause.

I kept forgetting to reply to a comment from Chisamba about jumping - yes I think I'll keep going with some jumps for Ding to see if it will help strengthen him for piaffe, it was good to hear you say that about doing it with one of yours. And also Khall, you mentioned the canter piri stuff from the Valenca's. I have gone back to how Goncalo was teaching us - walk piri, then canter (then when it falls apart) walk again and reset, then canter. It's helping heaps.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Blob, I wonder if when MM is in the big girl canter, if she's not actually slowing and dwelling behind, or coming into the hand so much that she's getting the hind end blocked. I agree, it doesn't make sense that you would need to flatten the canter to get clean changes, and the only thing I can think of is that she's got more impulsion and that the canter quality is actually a bit quicker behind vs when its collected up, but would have to see vid to make a guess. In any case, food for thought.

Flight, when I had Willie, he was incredibly hard to sit to - very rough and bouncy, one of those that rearranged your back every ride. He got better over time by us being absolutely relentless about marching his hind end up to the bridle and doing circles, leg yield and lateral work to get him to understand that when a leg goes on, you do NOT tighten against it. When he stopped tightening against the leg and going honestly forward, we got a sittable trot. Again, food for thought...

In my world, Vera, the first horse that I started from scratch was sold and will be leaving today for her new home. I learned SO much starting a young horse, hoping I can do it again. And Miro is in earnest schooling I1 and bits of the GP, and I'm back in hell relearning how to control my hip after my injury for the changes and making sure that his "Green" changes remain straight so that I can count tempis. It's familiar territory, I solved it once on Gala, I can do it again!

blob

Postby blob » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:48 pm

Dresseur wrote:Blob, I wonder if when MM is in the big girl canter, if she's not actually slowing and dwelling behind, or coming into the hand so much that she's getting the hind end blocked. I agree, it doesn't make sense that you would need to flatten the canter to get clean changes, and the only thing I can think of is that she's got more impulsion and that the canter quality is actually a bit quicker behind vs when its collected up, but would have to see vid to make a guess. In any case, food for thought.

It's interesting because when I say 'big girl' canter, I don't just mean her collected canter. Even out of a medium or very forward canter, she ends up leaping up through the air to change (like she's jumping an invisible obstacle), make it inevitably late behind. if i flatten her it's clean even when she's slow or behind the leg. It's even clean when it's truly a bad quality canter--very sluggish-- as long as she can stay flat.

But I agree--I very much thought that I was unable to get her quick enough behind to match her front end. But my trainer gets her very active behind in the canter. She also has a lot of natural sit. We haven't taught her a pirouette, but with him, if he collects and asks for a turn, she pirouettes. But even with him collected canter, medium canter, whatever he tried, it was late behind because she'd leap. It's definitely possible that with him she's coming into the hand so much that she's getting blocked.

Everyone always says, improve the canter to get the clean change. And here I feel like I actually need to make the canter worse to get them clean. I don't think this will always be the case, but it's definitely the case right now. Now I just need to learn to ride in and out of the shitty flat canter so I can have just 2-3 strides of it for the change. ha.

I will try to get video and then i will try to be brave enough to post it!

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:46 pm

Yep share vid, can't remember if I shared my vid where I put together my attempts at teaching norsey. It's pretty funny to look back on.
The other thing that helped was renvers on a circle and thinking of getting them to change only behind, so you are literally holding back the shoulders and getting them to disunite. As soon as Norsey leaped, he would change in front, then change behind.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:59 am

It's pretty basic compared to what many of you are doing, but here is some of our work from tonight: https://youtu.be/YyttxbR17FU

Annabelle couldn't even do a ~3m loop off the wall in cc a month ago, and cantering a 20m circle was a struggle 2 months ago, so I'm really pleased with her, and this is the first time I've felt like a video share was worthwhile. The W/C transitions are coming along, and I'm asking her to do fewer trot strides and come down from canter to walk more quickly now. She is also getting pretty reliable about making the T/C and C/T transitions at a letter, so who knows, maybe we'll show first if there is a late season show.

Tesla did ride #3 last night, and we had an actual trot both directions. Her trot was like riding a cloud, the few strides I thought to enjoy it between worrying about all the things. The horses hadn't had turnout for a couple days due to irrigation, and she was a little up due to that plus some weather blowing in, so she got a little sparky, but I was really happy with how she handled it and came back when asked. She learned the trot transitions after one repetition. She is such a smarty pants. Should have ridden her tonight, but I was tired, and volunteered to help clean stalls and turnout horses tomorrow since the BO is short-staffed, so I need my energy.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:24 am

Flight wrote:Yep share vid, can't remember if I shared my vid where I put together my attempts at teaching norsey. It's pretty funny to look back on.
The other thing that helped was renvers on a circle and thinking of getting them to change only behind, so you are literally holding back the shoulders and getting them to disunite. As soon as Norsey leaped, he would change in front, then change behind.

It's been a long struggle and we've tried literally every exercise in the book, including that one. No dice. Except apparently just letting it all go

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:32 pm

StraightForward wrote:It's pretty basic compared to what many of you are doing, but here is some of our work from tonight: https://youtu.be/YyttxbR17FU

Annabelle couldn't even do a ~3m loop off the wall in cc a month ago, and cantering a 20m circle was a struggle 2 months ago, so I'm really pleased with her, and this is the first time I've felt like a video share was worthwhile. The W/C transitions are coming along, and I'm asking her to do fewer trot strides and come down from canter to walk more quickly now. She is also getting pretty reliable about making the T/C and C/T transitions at a letter, so who knows, maybe we'll show first if there is a late season show.

Tesla did ride #3 last night, and we had an actual trot both directions. Her trot was like riding a cloud, the few strides I thought to enjoy it between worrying about all the things. The horses hadn't had turnout for a couple days due to irrigation, and she was a little up due to that plus some weather blowing in, so she got a little sparky, but I was really happy with how she handled it and came back when asked. She learned the trot transitions after one repetition. She is such a smarty pants. Should have ridden her tonight, but I was tired, and volunteered to help clean stalls and turnout horses tomorrow since the BO is short-staffed, so I need my energy.

Congrats! Annabelle looks to be handling herself well. Hats off to ride #3 on Tesla and your decision not to do #4. I realized that I do my horses a much better service and get far more progress when I ride - (a) when I'm in a good mood or at least clear minded and (b) not fatigued or exhausted mentally or physically to the point that it can affect my riding. Riding is cathartic for me and a needed stress relief but there are just times when I know my coordination will be off or I won't be able to respond quick enough or strong enough to address certain situations that it's better I don't ride at certain times. In the long run while I may not have made progress that time I didn't ride I also didn't set myself back or frustrate the horse. I have to remind myself that every interaction with a horse is a training moment. Avoiding or preventing myself from teaching them the wrong thing is also a huge win.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:09 pm

exvet wrote:
Congrats! Annabelle looks to be handling herself well. Hats off to ride #3 on Tesla and your decision not to do #4. I realized that I do my horses a much better service and get far more progress when I ride - (a) when I'm in a good mood or at least clear minded and (b) not fatigued or exhausted mentally or physically to the point that it can affect my riding. Riding is cathartic for me and a needed stress relief but there are just times when I know my coordination will be off or I won't be able to respond quick enough or strong enough to address certain situations that it's better I don't ride at certain times. In the long run while I may not have made progress that time I didn't ride I also didn't set myself back or frustrate the horse. I have to remind myself that every interaction with a horse is a training moment. Avoiding or preventing myself from teaching them the wrong thing is also a huge win.

I find this so important too.

The other day I didn't make it out to the barn very early so it was hot. At least I decided to do a track walk session instead of a arena work session but I was kind of grumpy...mostly at myself for not getting my butt out the door earlier. We got over to the track. I had been hurrying before it got any hotter and of course forgot to put fly spray on poor pony. Kyra was walking briskly and all of a sudden slammed on the brakes and dove her head down to get something on her leg. I was sure I was going on over her neck...at least where it had been. I didn't but it startled me and I cussed at her and yanked her head up. Something I really didn't need to do since she was just doing what horses do :roll: :( . That was a day I probably should have stayed on the ground. Oh then I dropped my whip...I decided tough...use your legs like they should be used and see how it goes. I have to have a block to comfortably dismount as well as mount due to my funky feet so that factored in too of having to go find one (over the river..canal...and through the woods), go back and pick up the whip then back to the block to get on again. I get so mad at myself for reactions like that. I have worked hard on it but occasionally I could take the whip and beat myself :x .

Anyway, I did a quick attitude adjustment and we finished our 3 miles with some nice work. I worked in all the lateral work and we even did some counted rein-back 5 steps, forward 10 steps, rein-back 5 steps, forward 10 for about 6 reps. All very nice with her just flowing from one to the other.

Yesterday, we did some CC work and it went very well. We warmed up the CC with the 'beginner' exercise start canter on counter lead on the long side and do a half circle and across the diagonal returning to true lead. Then we did a 3 loop serpentine with no change of leads. Our big arena is probably about 20 feet longer than a standard court so they weren't quite 20 m half circles but she handled it very well both direction.

She has continued to gain weight on the new hay which is quite worrisome. It isn't so much just the weight but where she is putting it (crest and butt). Her hay just got cut again because until this week, she was still girthing up the same as she was over the winter. This week I had to let things out a hole. I pulled out her Nose It toy and am going to load that with some hay cubes and that will at least keep her busy. She normally has to push it quite a ways for it to feed out 'a' hay cube so I loaded 1.5 lbs into that for her entertainment. I have canned her ration balancer and went to a vitamin supp, her vitamin E, Remission and raspberry leaves in a whole cup of Outlast. I figure that might help her empty(er) belly to boot. I will continue to look for a slow feed option but at this barn, the owners...who do all the work and feeding...won't do a lot of things as they don't want to take 2 or more hours twice a day to feed. I can't blame them. If I can find an anchor point, I may invest in a bunch of slow feed nets and go load them up myself so all they have to do is clip them into the anchor. With elder care duties, I just can't make it out every day. Hopefully, we can get a handle on her pudgy-ness soon and she can have a bit more to eat.

Happy riding all. Everyone looks fantastic.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:16 pm

So no riding today, too busy picking up my new guy. It's also way too hot to ride (97 by the time it was 10 am). I hope to get more pictures once I can turn this guy out and let him move around, away from me.

https://s122.photobucket.com/user/ldarl ... m.jpg.html

Here is HTBF Colonel Brandon settling into his new home (I believe the setting is for public viewing, I hope). He's a 3 year old Morgan gelding who was just gelded one month ago. I'm looking forward to starting this guy. He's had a lot of handling but no formal training to speak of, at least not yet. He loaded like a champ. Hauled 2.5 hours quietly with the proverbial uncle, the stinker pony, and unloaded politely. This was the first time he's ever hauled. He drank and turned around and started eating despite Junior racing around, bucking, squalling and raising all holy hell. I think I'm really going to enjoy this guy ;)

blob

Postby blob » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:27 am

Congrats, exvet! What a handsome and sensible new boy! Is he buckskin or a lighter bay? Can't wait to hear updates on him--this stage is so, so fun. Will he go by Colonel or Brandon or something else?

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:44 am

Well, two things to report, one that is scary in retrospect, but just "happened" at the time: after 15 minutes of walk, 10 on a long rein, five on the bit, doing some simple lateral work; started trotting and had been going about 3-4 minutes, and in the middle of the short end of the arena, Mark went down, rear end first flat on his left side. My right foot was out of the stirrup, but my left was still in the stirrup and in the slight depression between hip and belly. I quickly grabbed the left rein, prepared to.pull his head down if he started to get up, but I think he was startled and still trying to.figure out what happened, as was i. I got my foot out of the stirrup, pulled my leg from under him, and got up. He looked at me like WTF? He was totally calm and not panicked. I asked him to get up and he walked sound. He had a big scrape on the inside of his right pastern ( maybe he clipped himself and that's why he tripped?) And scraped his hock on the left side. I got back on, and while he felt fine to the left, he felt more noticeably uneven to the right. Got to say, my heart just sank. He's being doing so well.

I put him away, fed, gave him 1g of bute, gave him Monday and Tuesday off, 1 g bute each day, rode at the walk Wednesday, no bute, then on Thursday, crossed my fingers and trotted. He felt the same as he did before his fall, so there seems to be no new damage. I'm guessing from the skinned area of the right leg, that he stung himself sufficiently that that is why he felt more off right after the fall, and he's back to his "new normal"now.

The other thing is a request for advice. Quite suddenly, he's gotten very fussy in his mouth when asked to turn/bend to the left at the trot. I only do big figures, nothing less than a 20m+ circle. He is fine at the walk, but overreacts, opening his mouth and turning his head more than I am asking for. He goes solidly into the left rein going to the right and is steady and light in the bridle. I figured it must be me and checked my position and hands. I did a lot of work at the walk, tried to stay very light on the left rein, using more inside leg. There were no issues and when I eased into the trot, he was good and not so.fussy when I circled,but he felt very touchy about it, and I had to keep releasing the inside rein and asking him to stretch down. I have checked his mouth and teeth and there don't seem to be any issues. He did have dental work done a few months back, so I don't think that's it, so it must be something I'm doing/ not doing. Any thoughts, suggestions? This behavior predates his recent fall.
Last edited by Hot4Spots on Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:01 am

exvet wrote:So no riding today, too busy picking up my new guy. It's also way too hot to ride (97 by the time it was 10 am). I hope to get more pictures once I can turn this guy out and let him move around, away from me.

https://s122.photobucket.com/user/ldarl ... m.jpg.html

Here is HTBF Colonel Brandon settling into his new home (I believe the setting is for public viewing, I hope). He's a 3 year old Morgan gelding who was just gelded one month ago. I'm looking forward to starting this guy. He's had a lot of handling but no formal training to speak of, at least not yet. He loaded like a champ. Hauled 2.5 hours quietly with the proverbial uncle, the stinker pony, and unloaded politely. This was the first time he's ever hauled. He drank and turned around and started eating despite Junior racing around, bucking, squalling and raising all holy hell. I think I'm really going to enjoy this guy ;)

You bought him?! I saw that he had sold on one of the Morgan FB pages. He is a looker for sure. I'm green with jealousy :mrgreen:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 am

I gave up on riding this afternoon. Maia led the herd on an outing lat night, the stinker! After visiting the neighbors, they ended up in an alley between their original field and BO's donkey. Then, today, while BO was repairing the fenceline, the neighbors were shooting clay pigeons /facepalm

I didn't even bother with trailer work. Maia was a lost cause.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 am

Thanks y'all. He's a light bay. He looks a lot like Pro A Resolute or Resi, the welsh cob stallion my daughter now owns and has in Florida. He also looks like a more refined version of my mustang, Ace.

Glad you are alright Hot4Spots. That is scary. Hoping that all is well with Mark.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:45 am

Thanks Exvet. Glad I waited until tonight because she started questioning if she really had to do all this work. I was expecting this piggishness from her and we did end on my terms with trotting both ways and me deciding when to stop. The BO got hurt last week, so my plan to have her ride a lead horse is out the window for now unless I can talk another boarder into helping me. I was hoping Tesla would be more happy to go if she is following a friend.

Congrats on your new guy and glad you got him home safely! Can't wait to see more of him and read about your adventures with him!

H4S, scary, glad no one was seriously hurt, and hope Mark is OK. My friend's gelding went down similarly last fall, and they linked it to a suspensory thing. I don't know the details, except that the horse wasn't out of commission too long and is fine now.
Last edited by StraightForward on Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:51 am

Hot4spots, with just the info there - sudden fussiness with the left, and falling I'd be inclined for a vet visit to make sure there's nothing pain/neuro related??

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:18 pm

Yikes Hot4Spots! That's sounds scary. I'd be inclined to investigate teeth. Sudden change in behavior could be sudden change in status, maybe a cracked/infected tooth? Hope you get him sorted well soon.

Exvet love the look of the new guy! Sounds like a good character and will be fun to watch him develop under your care.

The last week or so has been a blast with miss Kora. She's been pretty darn stellar all around! Working in the ring with good attitude, having a ride in the field while mostly keeping to speed requests, hacking out on the trails and popping over a little crossrail left in the arena from kiddos lessons. It's just been summertime fun over here.

So I figured I would torture us with another lesson! :lol: Luckily she was still in grand form and worked super. We worked on introducing 1/8 shoulder-in right to continue to address the left shoulder and get it more upright underneath us. Get about 2-3 strides of good connected trot at a time before it all goes to pot. So we will work on stringing more of those strides together. Position wise I need to focus on keeping my right shoulder back and that is how I tend crooked. Really pleased with the lesson as I was proactive of catching things and correcting her (correctly) even before prompting from my trainer. Sure did make me feel good as a rider that I'm not just flopping around up there but being effective to improve the horse.

No media of lesson as we are solo trippers but here she is all ready for our lesson. A summer of tacking up at the trailer instead of the barn has her fully trained for trips, a Covid-19 silver lining. Next weekend we are off to an Obstacle clinic which should be interesting and fun to work through. They do a ground portion over the obstacles stuff like ribbon curtains, bridges, teeter totters and the like then do it ridden as well. The exposure will be good since we are not competing this year and it's an outdoor no contact thing with small groups so I feel comfortable with it.
school day.jpg
school day.jpg (252.01 KiB) Viewed 14853 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:46 pm

My horse fell (weridly- not like a trip or stumble) due to neuro problems. It was very strange but at the time I had no idea that was the cause. Knowing what I know now I would advise to not ride Mark to stay safe esp with his history of being so hot/sensitive.
Best of luck getting to the bottom of it

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:17 pm

So I found a schooling show that was actually going on this year, and entered Kimba and Caliburn. It was a nice facility, and despite both horses going with some stress in a new environment, i was happy with the rides, I did like the judge, new to us, and she gave helpful comments. There were some nice horses there too, which i always enjoy watching. I took Kimba in Second level three, because her flying changes are not show ready yet, and I took Caliburn in training level, as its my own first show with him. It was good to get out, albeit in face masks

and just for fun, mask riding

the most complicated part of show prep was finding clothing that fit, and then in a totally airhead moment i left my show clothing at home, i had to ride my first test in jogging tights, and then rushed home to get my clothing. aaargh

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:26 pm

Ryeissa wrote:My horse fell (weridly- not like a trip or stumble) due to neuro problems. It was very strange but at the time I had no idea that was the cause. Knowing what I know now I would advise to not ride Mark to stay safe esp with his history of being so hot/sensitive.

Since he has an existing suspensory issue, plus it looks like he whacked the injured leg, plus we were going in the direction where the Injured leg was on the inside, going thru a turn.... I think that's more likely than a neurologic issue. I've ridden him the last four days without any problems, but I am being conservative in what I am asking. Just relieved at this point that he does not appear to have reinjured the leg. He was strong and energetic both yesterday and today.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:41 pm

Congrats Chisamba. Great accomplishment on each of them and looking good mask or no mask.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:49 am

H4S, honestly, darned horses already! And I'd get his mouth checked out. If he's busy and non focused because of a tooth issue, he could easily have lost his footing and whacked himself.

The rest of you have been busy! I need to watch ex vets new boy on my computer, not my tiny phone, but congrats :) And to Chisamba, nicely done! Oops on the show clothes!

Aeluronix, she looks such a good girl. Glad you are getting out and having fun.

It's been very hot here. I've been focusing on short, productive rides, working on solving a particular problem. I realize that he's really very tight through his right side, and finds it hard to bend around my left leg, so when we half pass, he shunts me off to my right seat bone so I'm collapsed on the left side with my left leg sticking out sideways, kind of like Straightforward's mare picture:)

So, that's what we are working on, lots of lateral and stretching exercises to loosen up that right side, and get that right hind swinging under and through, and me being very aware of my position and sitting square in the saddle. We have had a few pissy moments, but it seems to be getting better, though we have a way to go to catch up with the other direction.

We ended today with a very respectable canter HP to to the left, which made me a very happy camper!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:43 pm

Hot4Spots wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:My horse fell (weridly- not like a trip or stumble) due to neuro problems. It was very strange but at the time I had no idea that was the cause. Knowing what I know now I would advise to not ride Mark to stay safe esp with his history of being so hot/sensitive.

Since he has an existing suspensory issue, plus it looks like he whacked the injured leg, plus we were going in the direction where the Injured leg was on the inside, going thru a turn.... I think that's more likely than a neurologic issue. I've ridden him the last four days without any problems, but I am being conservative in what I am asking. Just relieved at this point that he does not appear to have reinjured the leg. He was strong and energetic both yesterday and today.

good to hear!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:21 pm

Lots of good updates!

We're really in the thick of exhausting summer heat here. I think even my sweat is sweating. And just when I'd gotten back on track after my pull-start-weedeater-related back injury (not proud of that...), Queso somehow bit the heck out of his tongue. So we're taking it easy and doing some stress-free halter rides to avoid irritating his tongue any more but still keep him in some semblance of riding shape. Much to my surprise, he's really good on the halter. Straight, balanced, prompt in all the transitions, and pleasant to ride. Evidently we've been training for this moment for some time now.

Stay safe and sound, everyone!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:51 pm

I haven't really been contributing to this thread lately, but I wanted to pop in and share our good news progress.
Trainer has been working hard with Phoenix, and last week got her first clean flying change. I'm SO excited. She's tried a few times before and managed to get her to change in front and not it back, so its very exciting to see her get it right and know that means her canter has improved that much more. I've never owned a horse that had been trained for changes before, so this is a super big deal to me!

I've been plucking along with lessons 1-2x per week and then riding on the weekends when I can. I've been making lots of progress too. Learning more and more what truly being "off the leg" means and how to get her lower and rounder, especially in the transitions. Transitions are difficult for her, as the Friesian in her really wants to raise the head up into transitions.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:16 pm

Huh, I guess I forgot to actually submit my post yesterday, lol

Congratulations Chisamba, great job getting out there!
Fingers crossed for Marc, HFS, and that you have no more weird stuff happen
Ponichiwa, I often thought about riding Rudy in his halter, maybe some day I'll actually remember to do it!

After almost 2 weeks of not riding, I'm finally back at it, and the boys are being wonderful. Now that Tio has fully recovered from his stifle injury, I'm doing long steep hill work with him, not just gradual hills or the shorter steepish hills on the road. We only walk, but focus on straightness both up and down. Going straight down is definitely a challenge for the kid, as he worries about stumbling and falling, but each time he gets a little more confident in his abilities. Going up, he's discovering that his leg no longer hurts, and that when he uses it, he can generate a great deal of power. Fingers crossed that doesn't convert into bucking at the top of hill when he's strong enough to trot it! Just for grins, I took Rudy there to see how he'd do on that hill. The difference is staggering. He has zero trouble going up or down and can easily carry me in a sitting trot all the way up the hill, no crookedness at all. I suppose that's why his trot quality in the arena has improved so much too--the kid is just that strong and confident now. Anyways, fun times.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Wow, so much going on.

StraightForward, nice work with Annabelle. I too am at a very different level than many here and just read and store away for the future. And yes, 2 months ago 20m canter circles were not in our vocabulary, ha! I would love to see some trot video of Tesla, sounds so much like Mikey's trot. A cloud, I just love it. You sound like you two are progressing really well, and no stress. It's so much fun!

exvet-your guy is handsome, I can't wait to see riding pics, congratulations!! Silly horse people doing all this stuff during Covid :lol:

Yay moutaineer!

What a great show Chisamba, I can't believe how much your bay guy has changed, what a handsome lad.

Aleuronx, Kora looks like fun, and such a good girl. I need to add tying to a trailer to our repetoire. It's one of the things I have not done yet. Cross tying is finally good and consistent so there's that.

I hope it was just a bad step H4S and that Mark feels better. How scary.

Flight and Dresseur, welp, I'm just going to keep reading and learning and looking at your pics. I enjoy them and the ensuing discussion. I have much to learn. :D

I'm sure I missed some of you, hi! I love this topic!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Tesla ride #6 last night (just my cell phone propped up in a corner since I forgot to put the memory card back in my SoloShot): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr9-SgPhxgM&t=1s

I hauled Annabelle out to ride on Wednesday night and she was rocket-fueled. It was pretty fun, and she was able to do a full CC loop across their big arena. They have a large wall of mirrors, so it was also helpful for me to figure out how she feels when she gets nicely round. I've noticed her underneck developing a little bit, so although I don't think she's above the bit too much, she is probably using the lower part of her neck to heave herself around a little bit and that needs to be addressed. Really looking forward to riding with my instructor this weekend (though we're headed into a heatwave), and I'm thinking about showing a in a couple opportunity classes Labor Day weekend, but haven't completed my entry yet.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:31 pm

Straightforward - that's so nice to see! I have a similar video from when Bliss was just being backed (probably almost exactly 6 rides in) if you go back far enough on my youtube channel you could probably find it. :)

Bliss and I are keeping on... working away at the basics mostly - straightness and connection, impulsion etc. I am pretty happy with how he's going now. He is straighter and stronger and feels more honestly connected than he ever has before so that makes everything else better.

Some pics for fun. :)
(Edited to make pics lighter and easier to see)
Attachments
95003CEE-C7AF-4B32-A2A3-BC7B46EA523A.jpeg
95003CEE-C7AF-4B32-A2A3-BC7B46EA523A.jpeg (83.18 KiB) Viewed 14421 times
A97798AA-9043-4C4E-B82C-EE9C944C9B9F.jpeg
A97798AA-9043-4C4E-B82C-EE9C944C9B9F.jpeg (61.97 KiB) Viewed 14421 times
1E3F9293-F94F-4F97-957E-96359800FF7B.jpeg
1E3F9293-F94F-4F97-957E-96359800FF7B.jpeg (68.58 KiB) Viewed 14421 times
Last edited by Rosie B on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:01 pm

I had a lesson on Wednesday where we worked mostly on lateral work at the canter. I explained to my instructor how I felt like I was getting in Junior's way and the canter half pass, even at his young and green stage, was more difficult than it should be. Trot half-passes are a piece of cake and he's developing good cross over with better self-carriage but not so in the canter, yet the canter shoulder in not too bad. Well we worked on my biomechanics (shocker) and low and behold once I was carrying my torso, shoulders, elbows and upper arm in a way that I was NOT going to give it up or sacrifice my position no matter what Junior tried to talk me into because I was using all that to keep the energy forward and coming over the back.....voila the canter half pass was there easy peasy - just opened my hip like in the trot and looked in direction of my line of travel and bam.

Now it's too darn hot to do anything other than in hand work and still very brief work at that. Worked on refreshing the trot-halt-trot-rein back-trot, etc in hand. It was amazing what it did for Junior in terms of lifting his chest and withers so that our half steps are coming. He's starting to click (a glimmer at least) on maintaining a quicker tempo with the hind.......he'll lift and snap his hocks but now we're working on putting it altogether. I guess the disgusting heat is at least good for forcing me to focus on certain things that I often am too busy to spend time on and improve.

Also took the opportunity with this awful heat to put a saddle pad, surcingle and bridle/bit on Brandon. It was the second time and like the first he was a good boy. I basically just lead him around and let him get used to the idea of wearing tack. Tomorrow we'll graduate to the saddle and see how well he tolerates it. He's so funny because he' a hugger. Since arriving he's learned to cross-tie, accept a bit in his mouth and wear a surcingle and each time I get done, he hugs me by wrapping his long neck around me, not wanting me to leave him. Junior has always been a pest and horse in my pocket type demanding attention but I can't say he's ever shown this type of affection and 'in need' of attention like Brandon. King of cool really.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:47 pm

So exciting everyone! Shows, new horses, first rides! So much going on!! I'm very impressed and a bit envious, missing my peeps that come to the clinics. I usually host at least 4 clinics a year, this year nothing.

I just have to brag on Cedar Potts-Warner who I've been working with now for several years after losing Mark in 2016. She is the assistant trainer to JP Giamcomini and has been showing some of his horses now for the last few years. One she trained from ground zero to GP, one JP trained to GP and another a bit tougher horse at PSG/I1. Cedar went to a show last weekend got highest score ever I2 with Zorro the one she trained a 69% and got a 79% on her GP freestyle with Orion the one JP trained and a 74% at I1 with the more difficult gelding. These are all Iberians that JP has bred and raised (he has both Lusitanos and PREs) Cedar has just been showing a few short years and jump to showing FEI pretty quickly. Of course she has been with JP for over 10 years now, but she is young in her early 30's. I'm so happy for her! Who knows where she will end up! I do so enjoy working with Cedar, she is down to earth, very humble, for the horse and has a great eye. I hate that because of the pandemic I have not been able to host her this year. She has great knowledge of starting young horses and has been a big help with Joplin (who is back in work and doing well)

Here is Cedar doing one rein driving with Zorro (the one she trained and rides bridle less!) https://www.facebook.com/Cedarequinedev ... 276585748/

Zoro and the one tempis https://www.facebook.com/Cedarequinedev ... 858947783/

and her RRP OTTB Magic in piaffe in the "pillars" https://www.facebook.com/Cedarequinedev ... 807427268/ Magic is such a cool horse! I feel very blessed to have found Cedar to work with and I love that she is finding such success in the show arena and on Iberians!

As for what I've been doing, playing with one rein driving and piaffe with Rip, surprised he took to it just fine:) No dirt skiing, no kicking out though earlier in the workout he had attempted an unasked for capriole. Getting back on Joplin, so much fun!! Her trot is smooth as silk to ride and her movement makes me so excited.

Keep up all the updates!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 pm

so nice you are enjoying Brandon, exvet. i kind of feel like that about Caliburn, who I got to sell on once he was g going better, but I am getting such enjoyment working him.

Kimba is also back to being a pleasure to train. once I decided to just take my time and enjoy her, she reciprocated.

Bliss looks, well... may I say it... Blissful.

Tesla is trotting, yay.

I too like reading all of the contributions to this thread. horses and horse friends make bad days better.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:45 pm

khall - I enjoyed watching the video of Cedar, thank you!

Sounds like you're having fun with your herd Chisamba! The horses are a blessing in these crazy times.

Yesterday got to 110 degrees in my barn which is a mare motel configuration (pipe rail, all open). With the breeze it felt like a convection oven. Outside it was obviously a lot higher. This summer has just been disgusting. It was more work in hand and then on the lunge this morning since the low was 84. Junior really did well despite it being in the mid 90s by 7:30 this morning (which is when we ended). Brandon sported a bridle with bit, saddle and girth for the first time......and we walked and trotted on the lunge line with our (new to him) duds. He was so unfazed. I'm not talented enough to be able to shoot video of either horse while they're on the lunge but here are a couple of Brandon in his tack. He was 'so worried' that as soon as I snapped the first shot he plunged his nose into the dog food bowl that was near him LOL - morgans and welsh cobs, true food whores. You can probably appreciate that at 3 he's a little butt high and if I took one dead on from the front you'd also appreciate that he's still growing ;)

https://s122.photobucket.com/user/ldarl ... y.jpg.html

https://s122.photobucket.com/user/ldarl ... p.jpg.html

blob

Postby blob » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:56 am

Congrats, Chisamba--sounds like a great outing for both your horses.

And congrats, Phoenixrising! Clean changes ARE a big deal!!

It's great to see Tesla and Bliss coming along. Both are beautiful.

I also enjoyed the video of Cedar, hopefully soon you'll be able to have her back out.

Brandon sounds like he's doing really well, Exvet--love seeing more pictures of him. He sure is handsome.

After a few weeks of no lessons, had good lessons with both of mine today.

With MM, we worked on controlling the shoulder more--being able to get the shoulder a bit flatter and being able to lift it back up, while getting the hind end going--lots of transitions, lots of changes of flexion within small zig-zag leg yields at trot and canter. And then we played with a slightly different exercise for changes. On the shortside (our arena is bigger than a standard dressage arena, so the shortside is closer to 35-40meters) I did a few forward, active canter-trot-canter transitions making sure they were super forward and prompt, then came down the diagonal line in the canter towards a jump at the end of the diagonal (18 inchers), asking for the change 4-5 strides before the jump. Using the jump helped keep us straight in our change (to make sure we went over the jump and not a standard), it also kept us both focused on something beyond just the change (I tend to over focus and panic, but I had to keep riding), and I was able to keep MM in a forward but slightly flatter canter. It was not a perfect, miracle exercise. but it was a good one for us and we even got a few changes that were early behind--which right now I will take as a good sign.

With RP we worked on developing the trot lengthening and building strength in more self carriage. He was a good boy and seemed to have fun with the idea of a lengthening. I'm excited to see how they go as they get stronger and more confirmed, I think they have the potential of being a strong suit of his. His left lead chanter is getting a lot stronger and I can rock him back with my seat and feel him really sit nicely for a few strides. The right lead is a bit trickier--he has a harder time standing up through his right shoulder so I'm still tryiing to find the right balance of giving him the support he needs to stay upright while still encouraging him to find his own balance and not just carrying him.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:43 am

Everybody is so busy...in a good way. If only we weren't 2 steps from hades as far as the temperature goes. I can't imagine exvet. You have had a brutal summer. We are due our own 100's for the next several days. Blech is all I can say.

Kyra is doing well. I have her dieted down a bit. At least she is back to girthing up at her usual holes. If she continues to slim down, I will at least get her hay back up a bit. I took her off her ration balancer because I am sure the hay she is eating now has plenty of protein being off a newly seeded field. I think that has helped too. I pulled out her Nose It toys and have been loading those with between 1-2 lbs of hay cubes and having the BO throw her one when they feed in the evening. She will even leave her hay to to work on the toy and get those pesky hay cubes out. At least that makes her meager hay portion last a little longer and gets her moving a bit.

I haven't ridden much but have at least done some lunging, in-hand work and we did a liberty day in the round pen for kicks and giggles. I think she enjoys that as she can give me the finger if she wants to being she is at liberty. The last lunge session I had, she was quite good. Trot was very loose and her canter transitions were very uphill. She was a bit sluggish until this big noisy truck went down the road and that lit her fire and all I had to do was give her commands and she said yes ma'am. The Spanish walk work is progressing. I have been having her target the top of a cone to get her leg UP and OUT. Today, she was very good with the right leg...not pawing or stomping. Simply touching it and putting her foot down. Left leg, she was a little stompy but I have started being a bit more particular with what I will reward so I think she is getting the idea.I did a few steps of polka...first one side, then the other and again, she was very handy and got the idea of lifting the leg while walking. She still isn't giving me much that looks like a real jambette but she is fairly tight in the shoulders and thus far I am quite happy with the effort she is giving me.

Today the barn was busy! Not usually a word associated with this barn but the neighbor was digging up a ditch with a backhoe 3 feet outside the outdoor arena so we headed over to the track and the hay wagon was making regular trips (with sold hay) to the hay shed right next to the track and the BO was moving hay, the neighbor was mowing...all very exciting. We did make it to the track and for the first time in a long, long time, I got some nice relaxed working trot out of her. Canter...not so much. The first one wasn't too bad but something caught her attention and she tensed up and was like riding a board on a pogo stick so we ditched the canter pretty quickly. With temps headed over 100, I seriously doubt she gets much intensive work this week. I just don't tolerate it well. Her tail is a mess so maybe we will have a my pretty pony day and do some washing. I hate to bathe her. It seems like such a waste of time and water when she immediately throws herself down and rolls in the dirt as soon as I let her go but I may wash her tail.

Happy riding all and I guess we can think cool...maybe it will happen some time?

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:01 pm

I want to share the photo my student took of Caliburn, ( she groomed for me and rode him in his first show) I just like the moment that was caught in the photo.

Ilia ( my dh) and I were mildly disagreeing about if he is airborne, or not, so i posted it on FB and most people think he is all 4 off the ground. Still i just like his shape and power. He is such a fun horse to ride

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:20 pm

That is a great shot, Chisamba. What a huge change from the first photos you shared when his training started!
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:22 pm

It's hard to tell with the quality of the photo — the right front/ left inside *might* be on the ground, but they may also be hovering. Either way, Caliburn looks great!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:45 pm

Congratulations to everyone on all the progress they are making! I’ve really enjoyed reading it all and seeing the pictures. I hope to post pictures in the future. Thanks to Flight I now can reduce their size, BUT I upgraded my phone to an iPhone 11 and no longer know how to transfer them here. Ah well more technology to monkey around with. Not my best area.

I’ve had Gwen for 3 weeks now, but it seems like much longer. She’s made sooo much progress. Gwen is an eight year old half Welsh, quarter thoroughbred, quarter warmblood pony. Her previous owner did ground work with her, but then she ended up turned out with little handling for about four years. So we are starting from scratch. She is fleabitten gray and about 14.1 (we haven’t measured yet). She has had her shots. She has had the worst edges taken off her feet. Her feet were so hard and so bad my farrier is coming back in 2 weeks to do some more work after we hose her hoofs daily We are also picking up feet regularly, a work in progress. We used dormigel for the first Farrier visit and probably will for the second. Her teeth have been done. They were not horrible, although we suspect they’ve never been done. She is now out of quarantine and has been introduced across a fence to my other pony mare, Peanut. They will hopefully be turned out together in the future. Gwen is now comfortable with daily haltering and fly masks. She’s not so crazy about fly spray and hosing. She’s had a bath and her mane roached. She had a real bad bout pooping LOTS of sand and small gravel for three days. We’ll be on the psyllium regimen, on and off every two weeks for at least six months maybe a year. We’ve been leading her around in her turnout and desensitizing her to touch and she’s done real well. Yesterday she graduated to leading in the arena. She even walked over poles. A lot of her early ground work seems to be coming back, but we will continue to take it slow. She is a very sweet mare and seems to have a lot of common sense. New things are not fazing her too much. However she needs to get used to exercise so she can start to get a top line, right now there is nothing there but a pot belly. Our current goal is to get her used to being led around the property so we can start ponying her at the walk.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:17 pm

I downloaded a free app called "resize photos". its very easy to use.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:38 pm

We survived and had fun! The obstacle clinic was a bit as expected, aka a free for all after minor instructions. Along with the last entrant getting loose and galloping around the indoor with all of us inside, just for added effect I guess. Anyways... We opted to just do all the obstacles in hand as the relative close quarters and everyone doing obstacles at once and making all sorts of noises was a bit much at first.

I wanted it to be a positive, confidence building event and asking her to do it again under saddle would have been a bridge too far. I'm really proud of her trying to keep her focus and we managed to do all the obstacles even if we had to come back to them. Walking through the green plastic pool was extra impressive to me as well as being circus pony standing on the pedestal.

Here's a little look at part of it empty.
Obtacles.jpg
Obtacles.jpg (220.36 KiB) Viewed 14284 times

Then added in with all ponies and people.
All the things.jpg
All the things.jpg (232.48 KiB) Viewed 14284 times

We started off with cardboard squares while the instructor was explaining things. This was before Kora promptly walked all over it, pawed it, then ripped it into shreds like a dog biting and tearing it to pieces. :lol: This is my horse while all the others were quietly standing around.
Shred it.jpg
Shred it.jpg (217.34 KiB) Viewed 14284 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:56 pm

Bliss looks so fancy! Caliburn too - he has changed a lot and looks so good.

Srhorselady, you'll have to figure out the technology so you can share pics! Pooing sand and gravel, wow.
Aleuronx, that looks fun and good to do something different.

I've decided to not do any comps this year, at least until I lose this damn weight - no way will I fit into my competition clothes. This is the latest thing I've decided to try. You actually have quite a bit of control, i was surprised.
ding.jpg
ding.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 14277 times

ding2.jpg
ding2.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 14277 times

demi

Postby demi » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:22 pm

I am giving Rocky a break. It’s been too hot for too long. I know horses can work in quite high temps/humidity, but when it goes on for a couple of months I feel that it greatly affects their willingness to cooperate. I get to go in the air conditioned house at night, but they have to stay in the heat 24/7. We’ve had triple digit temps every day this month and it stays in the mid 90’s until 2-3 am, then shoots back up by 8:00.

In June and July I was riding in the early morning hours, but I haven’t ridden at all in the last two weeks. So right now my “progress “ consists of reading all y’all’s posts!

love all the reports and pictures!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:42 pm

demi wrote:I am giving Rocky a break. It’s been too hot for too long. I know horses can work in quite high temps/humidity, but when it goes on for a couple of months I feel that it greatly affects their willingness to cooperate. I get to go in the air conditioned house at night, but they have to stay in the heat 24/7. We’ve had triple digit temps every day this month and it stays in the mid 90’s until 2-3 am, then shoots back up by 8:00.

In June and July I was riding in the early morning hours, but I haven’t ridden at all in the last two weeks. So right now my “progress “ consists of reading all y’all’s posts!

love all the reports and pictures!

Pretty much the same here, demi. My neighbors are on their horses at 4 am; but, that's because they pay others to muck stalls and feed. I'm out there too but feeding and cleaning come first. I'm done by 6 but the horses are usually still eating. I can be on by 7 but it's already too hot because it is no longer cooling down at night. I know that when I'm lunging Junior he's huffing and puffing in about 15 minutes and that's not because he's out of shape. Between doing in hand work and then the lunging I usually have him hosed off and done by 7:30.

We have a dressage show this coming weekend. The big 'draw' is that it's indoors in a covered and air conditioned arena; but, the stalls are not air conditioned. The temps are still supposed to be around 110-112 during the show. I was speaking to my colleagues about this (the ones who are going to be on call). We are expecting the colics, tying up episodes and muscle strain injuries to be at an all time high for this one. I can't see how many of those horses are really going to be in shape for the competition if they live locally and dragging them in and out of the air conditioning between both extremes.........total foolishness imo. We'll see how many scratches there ends up being. I don't think the situation is the best in the interest of the health of the riders or barn help either. If it were at least cooling down at night it would be different but the lows are still supposed to be in the 90s. Not good, not good at all.

https://s122.photobucket.com/user/ldarl ... y.jpg.html

https://s122.photobucket.com/user/ldarl ... s.jpg.html

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Super hot east breeze (100 degrees) yesterday and really bad migraine caused me to cancel my riding plans for the afternoon but I did at least walk the dogs when it cooled down to the low 90's. Saturday, I did ride but only a short time of work in deference to the heat, and both boys were very willing and cooperative. Heat seems to be a recurring theme here and here on the board so let us hope for cooler weather coming sooner rather than later. :P

I love all the pictures, keep sharing!

Return to “Dressage Training”