Summer of Seclusion: July and August Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Summer of Seclusion: July and August Goals and Progress

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:48 am

So we did have a show this weekend, everyone wore masks , except when mounted, and we had to pass a temperature check to enter each time we came in. There were some fabulous horses there, so fabulous that it makes me truly understand why judges say my horses gaits are average, lol. anyway, i took clients, so i did not ride myself, since its hard for me to manage my own self and keep my riders calm and happy. Caliburn was ridden my my youth rider who had ridden and schooled him with me from the beginning. He scored a 63 in his first level, with scores ranging from 8 for his leg yield to five for late transitions, and despite some rather significant competition managed to get two red ribbons. I was very proud of my rider, she started with me when she was five, on a pony, and on her own horse, she scored a 69.3 in Second Level test 3 . She is going off to college soon, so it was a bittersweet moment to have this opportunity to show with her

I was pleased with all my lovely riders and their horses, and it was rather nice to see people i only ever see at shows again. There were quite a lot of nice FEI six year olds competing and some of the people chasing scores for qualifying

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 pm

Congrats on a great show, Chisamba!

so sorry to hear the news, Dressuer--what a hard and scary thing.

Great to hear everyone else's progress. And I hope Odin and Tesla are healing.

Things have been hot and gross here as well. My current work schedule makes morning riding impossible, but so often when I get out to the barn, the heat index is through the roof.

RP has energy for days and seems unbothered by heat and only slightly bothered by flies. So, his work has been consistent.

MM does ok in the heat in the sense that she cools down quickly. But she's a big sweater, doesn't do great with the bugs, and with her there's no such thing is an 'easy day'. I can do a short ride, but we have to have high intensity rides to keep her responsiveness up. So even our walk breaks are more like extended walk than free walk. Given the conditions, it's meant that she's gotten lots of days off because of the heat.

The rides we have had have been going well for the most part. I've found that to clean up that tricky left to right change, I really need to stop her shoulder and think of flattening out her canter. She can get so expressing with her shoulder in the canter that it just makes it so easy for the change to be late behind. But if I stop her shoulder from popping up and think of riding more of a hunter canter than a dressage canter, I can get a clean change. Obviously it's not a super expressive change, but I think i need to get it reliably clean before I worry about expression.

RP is going to a show this weekend (same venue and organizers as the last show). He'll hopefully get his permanent pony card. And we'll see how he does with everything else.

In other news, I bit the bullet and ended up buying the not very cheap Dynamic saddle. I ended up doing a 2 week trial and noticed some pretty clear improvements in both horses. Difference is more dramatic in RP, but more remarkable in MM. In the time that I've had her, I've tried several saddles on MM, including the FB that was made for her specifically. And she's always been the same, which is fine. She's a stoic horse and with her saddle fitting has always been about the long term because I figured she was just never really going to complain about a bad fit. So, to see any difference in her because of a saddle was surprising. It's not all magic and roses, though. The saddle puts me in a good position on RP. But on MM I can feel my legs want to come up and over the blocks at times. but because i don't feel insecure, I think/hope it's something I can overcome in time.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:26 pm

As always, I really appreciate everyone's updates.

I'm continuing to enjoy my online learning program. It is dense enough in content yet "short" enough in homework that I actually do the homework every week++! I would say my ability to warm-up horse up properly and thoroughly has already improved from the program (you'd think I'd be good at that, but this has pushed me to be absolutely committed to what is right for my horse, every time). Part of that warm for us is being on the ball about "will Emi wait for me" and not rush and "will Emi yield to me" equally off either leg. If I always take the moments to establish and clarify these points at the start of a ride, everything is just much much easier for both of us as the ride develops.

Like for many in the US, it has brutally hot here the past week+. This is about the first time Emi has had 4 days off in a row in like, forever! On the crazy hot days, I would only ride if I could do it before 9 am. We did an easy ride (basically a warm-up) last night--since we had storms and the heat let go a little. She felt good and not overly-stressed by the heat. I've also started her on Pentosan, so we'll see if that offers any overall support to her.

Blob, happy for you that you found a useful saddle!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Have had a wilting week-- first, brutal heat; second, allergies that I was worried might be COVID (turns out, no, still allergies); third, tweaked my back a bit when trying and failing to pull-start my weedeater. So Queso has had a bit of a light work week and is now approximately balloon-shaped.

I did get a good ride in yesterday despite my twinging back. Almost an easy set of half-passes in the trot. Yes, there are still bobbles in the balance, but they are getting much more fluid.

I've been doing loads of skipping-gaits transitions (canter/walk/canter, trot/halt/trot, walk/reinback/walk) to help him connect the idea of sitting behind and also lifting his forehand. He's got a lot of sit but we're still working on the carrying bit.

Here's hoping the rest of this month is kinder to me than the last week has been.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:53 pm

I just cannot bear this heat and humidity that is continuing day after day here in Georgia. Rough summer this year. My horses are getting a break.

I was supposed to host Cedar next month. I had set the dates in the summer with the expectations that the virus would have a lull period. Yeah not happening and our hospitals are hurting badly. I just don't think it is the smart thing to do to have a clinic in these circumstances. 2020 has been one big FU

Love the updates! Sounds like a wonderful show Chisamba, I am sure you are excited with all the successes your students and horses had. I'm glad the masks were worn no issues. Good grief it has become so polarizing here in the south. I truly believe the meme wearing a mask in public is an IQ test.

Stay cool and stay safe

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:31 pm

So nice to see everyone moving forward (hehe).

I'm so sorry to hear about Cato Dresseur.

Straightforward, my guy wants to meet Annabelle, they could be twins! What's her breeding?

Soooooo, we went to our first schooling show. And as I thought, the letters were big scary horse-eating letters, not the normal kind. He warmed up well, didn't worry when the Cushman came flying by with a trashcan, handled the banners and activity fine. BUT THE LETTERS... We did T1 and T3 and T1 was basically a let's get used to going around the ring with scary letters and T3 was let's try to manage this better. No one freaked and I stayed calm but wow. I forget he's still somewhat of a baby, he handles everything so well. Scores were not terrible (I think generous) and the pics showed it wasn't as bad as it felt. Going to have to work on getting to the edge of the arena.
Attachments
Mikey Waredaca - 11.jpeg
Yup, we got work to do
Mikey Waredaca - 11.jpeg (114.59 KiB) Viewed 16187 times
Mikey Waredaca - 1.jpeg
The first of many halts
Mikey Waredaca - 1.jpeg (98.78 KiB) Viewed 16187 times
Mikey Waredaca - 24 (1).jpeg
Feeling better we are, for the moment
Mikey Waredaca - 24 (1).jpeg (86.69 KiB) Viewed 16187 times

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:35 pm

A few more pics
Attachments
Mikey Waredaca - 14.jpeg
Okay diagonal after a spooky corner, I wondered why I was so crooked but figured it out from the video
Mikey Waredaca - 14.jpeg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 16187 times
Mikey Waredaca - 18.jpeg
Oh my gosh, it's an M, the scariest letter. Except for H and B and F. They are also the scariest letters.
Mikey Waredaca - 18.jpeg (102.58 KiB) Viewed 16187 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:20 pm

Nice pictures Chantal. Based on what I can see of his muscling he developing nicely. I really like how up and open he is as well as what looks to be a forward thinking attitude, albeit side ways too in the one shot LOL. Got to love the thinking ones ;)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:13 am

exvet-2 pics that hopefully shows his muscling a little better. Working on those halts...

And thank you, I love a thinking horse too. And we are working hard on up and open, he would happily curl behind if I let him. I feel like he never really got his withers up in either test. He needed to be more forward, I can see that but I wonder if his reactions would have been bigger or less. He may have been more preoccupied with work. But no blowups and a happy intro to the show ring. Boy did he look at everything. He's not typically that looky. But I'm not the best in a show ring, so we both have lots to work on. I was pleased with both of us, not overjoyed, but pleased.
Attachments
IMG_20200724_104755_2 - Edited.jpg
IMG_20200724_104755_2 - Edited.jpg (49.62 KiB) Viewed 16175 times
Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 4.59.04 PM - Edited.png
Screenshot 2020-07-24 at 4.59.04 PM - Edited.png (177.63 KiB) Viewed 16175 times

demi

Postby demi » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:21 am

Congrats Chantal! Nice pictures. You must be pretty happy right now!

But POOR Mikey!! Doesn’t anyone else see the danger! The first letter he sees has one of those strange muzzled humans behind it, eyes glued on his every move!! Obviously they eat horses and that’s why they’re muzzled! C stands for “come a little closer, horsey, the better to see you!! Mmmm, he’s got some nice meat on him!!” What do the other letters mean?!? :lol:

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:40 am

demi wrote:Congrats Chantal! Nice pictures. You must be pretty happy right now!

But POOR Mikey!! Doesn’t anyone else see the danger! The first letter he sees has one of those strange muzzled humans behind it, eyes glued on his every move!! Obviously they eat horses and that’s why they’re muzzled! C stands for “come a little closer, horsey, the better to see you!! Mmmm, he’s got some nice meat on him!!” What do the other letters mean?!? :lol:

:lol:

Aw thank you, I am pretty happy. We've worked through some stuff the past 2 years. He's a big mover but he's got a great brain. And I've never trained a horse properly from this young. Um, properly as I'm not a professional but I have a great team to support me. We're learning all we can. He's such a good boy and we are looking at the long game. He loads like a dream and does pretty much everything I ask him, and I can see he looks to me for guidance and responds when I say it's okay.

I just heard from a fellow barnmate that an M attacked her horse in our very own arena, so I guess Mikey was the smart one! :lol:

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:26 am

Wow, so I just really read the posts, so awesome!!

exvet, praying you all stay safe and for your instructor. It's a good time to be schooling and working on basics, ask us how we know. We are so fortunate we can ride through all of this.

Demi-awesome, so you know T3 well too, yay! Sounds like a very positive experience for both of you, videoing and getting feedback.

Fight-wow, you look great.

Bliss-great progress, and good video.

Great updates from everyone, and encouraging. Oddly enough, we've been pretty busy (work from home and riding and older kids) so I've been absent from here for a while. I'm exhausted from the heat but getting fitter. I have weight loss goals, or should I say fitness goals too to help my riding. So sending encouragement to everyone doing that, keep posting progress.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Chantal Nice pictures. You've done a good job. He looks very correct. I love the one trotting towards the camera--the balance is lovely. My favorite is the spooking one, though!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:59 pm

Tanga wrote:Chantal Nice pictures. You've done a good job. He looks very correct. I love the one trotting towards the camera--the balance is lovely. My favorite is the spooking one, though!

Mine too, keeping it real! :lol:

And thank you, :D

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:06 pm

Thank you Chantal. I spoke with my coach yesterday and she just tested negative for Covid so she's taking off for a week to recuperate (and I think horse shop) and then hopefully teaching the following week. It will have been two months without a lesson; but, despite that and the gross heat I think we still have some new (progress) stuff to show her. It's AMAZING (caps for complete and total sarcasm) that when I use my torso to balance my horse and keep my shoulder blades back and down steadying through my shoulders and elbows (ie, holding and carrying myself) ......AND.....really work the transitions within the gaits correctly along with demanding exacting simple changes that the flying changes are THERE! LOL, I got out of breath typing all that but fortunately my physical stamina which has always been pretty good is now being met with perhaps a wee bit of improved coordination on my part. Only has taken me to age 57 (in two weeks) when everything starts to fall apart to feel like a 'well oiled machine' in the aiding department; but albeit a fleeting glimmer, it still feels like an awesome accomplishment. We'll see if my coach agrees week after next ;)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Chantal, Annabelle is Appendix quarter horse. Other than the markings, Tesla and Mikey are probably more similar in build. Tesla is by Don Deluxe ( De Niro) on too and Weltmeyer on the dam side.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:56 pm

exvet-good to hear, and horse shopping, yay!! Um yes, the torso has a lot to do with everything. And I have a long way to get to flying changes, we'll see.

StraightForward-so was that a pic of you on Annabelle or Tesla? Mikey's sire, Wild Dance, is out of Wolkenstein II, out of Weltmeyer.

Oddly enough, we have a Vizsla named Tesla, matchy matchy with a chestnut... :lol:

More fun pics just because.
Attachments
IMG_20200621_172932_4 - Edited.jpg
Mikey and his BFF Noah hanging out on the trails
IMG_20200621_172932_4 - Edited.jpg (65.33 KiB) Viewed 16101 times
IMG_20200621_172935_2 - Edited.jpg
Just walking over a jump
IMG_20200621_172935_2 - Edited.jpg (87.51 KiB) Viewed 16101 times

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:43 pm

Just have to say: Hots4Spots, that is quite a good update on all fronts!

I feel like I missed something with Dresseur. Her work with Miro sounds very good, interesting and challenging! I am surprised D. that you are not a musical/rhythm person, given your artistic bent. I agree that without it, it is extra challenging.

I am curious if anyone (beside Sue, others?) has evented seriously. OK, by serious I mean Preliminary and beyond. Would love your perspectives on dressage and the event horse who is Prelim or well beyond. I am taking lessons on event horses now for fun and trying to figure things out from a different perspective. Will say that they are all about forward, but not necessarily about balance, half halts (dressage style) or lightness. I'd appreciate insights!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:47 pm

Also, now that I've caught up a little: Great job, Chantal! Lovely photos and process work (we all do it) and really great experience. Well done.

p.s. I love Vizslak. I've had and loved Weimaraners and now (English/american style) Pointers. Maybe one day a Viszla!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:54 am

A couple of rather more exciting than necessary rides on Mr. Laddie... Spooky fool--lots going on in the barn so I think he's picking up on that, and the ice hockey rink in the other part of the building is back in full swing, with subsequent slamming of pucks and random bangings, crashes, yells and zamboni noises from behind the party wall to the indoor arena. So he's not safe on a loose rein at the moment and has rather impressed my trainer and barn mates with his athleticism (and so have I with mine, apparently--the bright young things are surprised that the older, broader, less glamorous broad can still sit a buck :))

This too shall pass. Pretty damned quickly, I hope...

However, I'm really pleased with the (albeit rather electric) canter work we are achieving, so it's not all bad :)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:16 am

Moutaineer wrote:A couple of rather more exciting than necessary rides on Mr. Laddie... Spooky fool--lots going on in the barn so I think he's picking up on that, and the ice hockey rink in the other part of the building is back in full swing, with subsequent slamming of pucks and random bangings, crashes, yells and zamboni noises from behind the party wall to the indoor arena. So he's not safe on a loose rein at the moment and has rather impressed my trainer and barn mates with his athleticism (and so have I with mine, apparently--the bright young things are surprised that the older, broader, less glamorous broad can still sit a buck :))

This too shall pass. Pretty damned quickly, I hope...

However, I'm really pleased with the (albeit rather electric) canter work we are achieving, so it's not all bad :)

Wait, what did I miss? Ice hockey rink on the other side of your barn?? Kinda makes sense space-wise but holy "subsequent slamming of pucks and random bangings, crashes, yells and zamboni noises"! Laddie will be bombproof eventually. Keep at it! I love an athletic horse, most of the time... :lol: Yay for us old people!! :lol:

And thank you piedmontfields :D Do it, get a Vizsla, so similar to GSPs as far as I have seen with friends. V's are such love bugs, just need their exercise and then total lap dogs, all 60 lbs plus or minus of them. :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:21 pm

chantal wrote:StraightForward-so was that a pic of you on Annabelle or Tesla? Mikey's sire, Wild Dance, is out of Wolkenstein II, out of Weltmeyer.

The riding pics are Annabelle. The plan is to start Tesla under saddle this week. She's a chestnut too, and got her name because my husband said her blaze looks like the Tesla logo. It sounds like they are second cousins twice removed or something. :D

Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:12 pm

StraightForward wrote:
chantal wrote:StraightForward-so was that a pic of you on Annabelle or Tesla? Mikey's sire, Wild Dance, is out of Wolkenstein II, out of Weltmeyer.

The riding pics are Annabelle. The plan is to start Tesla under saddle this week. She's a chestnut too, and got her name because my husband said her blaze looks like the Tesla logo. It sounds like they are second cousins twice removed or something. :D

Telsa is adorable and has similarities to Mikey, cool stripe! Yup cousins!! :lol:

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:12 am

:D Okay, Okay, Okay.......I can't stand it and have to tell someone.....I just bought a horse :D Details to come but I needed another project to fuel my addiction. Not a welsh cob though.......nor a mustang.....but a 3 year old that needs to be backed and started - MY FAVORITE PART! I know I'm a lunatic :roll: :lol:

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:07 am

exvet wrote::D Okay, Okay, Okay.......I can't stand it and have to tell someone.....I just bought a horse :D Details to come but I needed another project to fuel my addiction. Not a welsh cob though.......nor a mustang.....but a 3 year old that needs to be backed and started - MY FAVORITE PART! I know I'm a lunatic :roll: :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! This horse just won the lottery, oh have fun!!

But, did it really happen if we don't have pics?? :D

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:01 pm

Pictures to come once he safely at home.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:03 pm

I wonder if I can blame Exvet? I also have a new project pony...who is half Welsh (plus 1/4 thoroughbred and 1/4 Dutch Warmblood. :D :D :D I swore I wouldn’t buy any more horses when I hit my mid 60s. So I didn’t. She was given to me. She is 8 and has had ground work but not been saddled. Unfortunately she has been sitting in a pasture or corral for several years. (Life went south for owner/breeder). She came home yesterday. She is green with brown splotches, fat and pot bellied, long feet, no top line, teeth need to be done etc etc etc She was bred to be a jumping sport pony. Anyway with my trainer and friends daughter to ride her eventually (not me!), we will turn her into a good citizen. So Exvet you can be forgiven for no Welsh! :D I’m doing the Welsh for you!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm

Yeah! That's great Srhorselady! May I ask what is the breeding on the Welsh side? (You know curiosity won't let it go LOL). How tall is she? Of course like the others, picture are definitely needed!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:52 pm

How exciting, Exvet--starting babies really is my favorite part of riding/training. Can't wait to learn more about him!

Great to see everyone else's updates and pictures as well!

RP and I went to a show this past week. It's the same venue as the show I took MM to in June. And like last time, COVID changes were in place. No spectators were allowed and there could only be 3 people per each horse (including the rider) at the show. We had to wear masks except when riding or if we were in our horse's stall. We had to sign health forms and temps were taken. The horse you were with and the forms were only done the first day anyone came in and after going through that, we were given wristbands for the weekend.

We did training 1 and 2 on Saturday and then training 2 and 3 Sunday. Overall, it was a good show. He was nervous and worried at times, but turned to me for reassurance listened really well. Both rides on Saturday were 66s. In the t-2 he got low in the poll and I wasn't quite confident enough to bring him up mid test and my geometry was not great-- I don't have access to a regular dressage arena and apparently have forgotten how to ride a 20 meter circle accurately! So some clear things to improve on! Our t-1 was a bit hairy only because there was a storm coming in and we could hear thunder and the wind was picking up. So, I had a rather tense pony on my hands. He listened, we survived and I actually think the judge was a bit generous. The visible lightening started within minutes of my final salute.

On Sunday, we had a better day. I was better at keeping his poll up and had more confidence about taking more risks. My t-2 was probably the best ride of the weekend, but had the more conservative judge when it came to numbers. We got a 69%, with some really, really good final comments (making that score sheet the highlight of the weekend). Our t-3 was a 70%, despite once again having wonky geometry for my serpentines. So, that was really encouraging. Was really proud of the little guy for listening so well and for keeping it together even at the times when he was very nervous or worried.

some blurry pictures:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 8.50.19 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 8.50.19 PM.jpg (130.81 KiB) Viewed 15997 times
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 8.47.06 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 8.47.06 PM.jpg (125.96 KiB) Viewed 15997 times
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 8.45.08 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 8.45.08 PM.jpg (59.04 KiB) Viewed 15997 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:29 pm

Blob, RP looks adorable! Glad you had a good outing with him.

SrHorseLady and ExVet - new ponies, how exciting! Can't wait for more pics and details from both of you. :D
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Looking great blob! Stupid question- what color is RP exactly? I probably asked you before....nice job!

Congrats on the new horses! PICTURES!

I scored high 60s at 1:3 and it was fairly easy so I can indeed jump into second. I have been holding back to make sure it's quality vs just doing the movements.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Looking great blob! Stupid question- what color is RP exactly? I probably asked you before....nice job!

I actually don't think you have! He's a strawberry roan with a flaxen mane and tail. From a distance, though, he almost looks pink.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Exvet, I know absolutely nothing about Welsh breeding. I got this pony from the same person as my previous half Welsh pony. She is a close friend of a close friend and the breeder is her daughter in California. Peanut, the first half Welsh/half Arab pony is by a Welsh Hunter stallion Called Rain Beau West. I think he was a small. I’m not sure if this Gray pony is by the same sire or not. I have asked for a pedigree And will, eventually, get one once their family situation is sorted out. I do know that Aesop’s Fable is the warmblood Dam grandsire. Peanut is 13.2. This gray pony is larger, best estimate (by my trainer) 14.1? Barefoot with long feet. Eventually we’ll get her sticked. She’s definitely bigger than Peanut. Pictures when she looks a little better and is clean!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:06 pm

blob wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:Looking great blob! Stupid question- what color is RP exactly? I probably asked you before....nice job!

I actually don't think you have! He's a strawberry roan with a flaxen mane and tail. From a distance, though, he almost looks pink.

heh, that wasn't my guess. I was thinking perlino. beautiful~ Thanks for sharing. I know how hard it is to show a light colored horse (my horse is a pinto). 2-4x as much work :lol:

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Congratulations to every one on their show results! Those are really super! Beautiful color on that pony. WOW!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:02 am

Fun board today!! Exvet! How exciting! I’m dying to know what breed. WB? TB? Morgan? Yes, you just may be a lunatic :lol: I just hope it isn’t contagious. Oh no. Maybe it IS contagious. SRHorselady has it.

Blob, great show! Very nice scores and I loved the pictures. You make an attractive pair. He sure doesn’t look like a pony.

And Mountaineer, I’m impressed. I saw a T-shirt that said something like “Never underestimate an old woman that can ride a horse!” NOT sayin you’re old, though!!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:30 am

The weather broke Saturday and I’ve been able to ride again. I was worried that only riding 2-3 times a week for the last 3 weeks would be a set back, but i videoed today and it wasn’t as bad as I thought. If the weather holds out I plan to do another video to send to my trainer. I just need a few more days to practice the things she told me from the last vid. I started working on 3 loop serpentines (in a short arena) at the canter, with a simple change crossing the centerline. I started at the trot with a walk transition crossing centerline. It was a little rough, but got better after a few times. Then I tried the canter and oh my. Trainer suggested that exercise so I’m determined to get it reasonably good before I send her another vid.

We can do all the first level (and some second) trot work but the canter needs work. She gets strong and fast. Hopefully that canter serpentine exercise will help. Left isn’t bad but we need better balance going to the right. In the last 3 weeks of heat restricted riding I worked on stretching her left side at a walk. I saw a little bit of improvement in the right canter on the video today, so maybe the stretching helped.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:40 am

Srhorselady wrote:Exvet, I know absolutely nothing about Welsh breeding. [] the first half Welsh/half Arab pony is by a Welsh Hunter stallion Called Rain Beau West.

Well I certainly knew of him and his sire was probably one of the most prolific and successful pony hunter sires around.... and yes the line usually produced small to small mediums unless bred to a horse and even then I believe his sire was known to keep the size down.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like your new one could be a real gem.

Blob - Congrats on the successful outing! RP looks great! Pink used to be pretty popular color among the Welsh. I had a couple of pinks in my past. Love the color.

Demi - I am a lunatic which is why I need the therapy - another horse, for my addiction and my mental health LOL.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14 am

Tada.

Tesla was quite the star for her first ride today. She fidgeted a bit and I ended up having my ground person hold her head, but once I was on, we walked around both directions, stopped and changed direction across the roundpen (which is full of goatheads, but hopefully we'll graduate to the indoor arena soon). She was quite relaxed. Hoping to get two more rides in this week and hopefully try a trot. So nice to get that first one out of the way. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:33 am

Wow!! Just want to shout out to everyone for the fabulous progress and exciting updates. I'm loving the photos. I too had a minor victory today, with my first hack out alone on my new horse. Yay!

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:06 pm

Picture taken shortly after our first canter(s) in nearly five years.
Attachments
Mark 7.19.20 (3).jpg
Mark 7.19.20 (3).jpg (48.29 KiB) Viewed 15868 times

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:20 pm

More congratulations to Tesla and SF and Hot4S!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:40 pm

Yay StraightForward!! Great pics!

And well done Blob! RP is gorgeous.

Hot4Spots-congrats, you must be very pleased.

So cool to see what everyone is up to. Chugging along in our great for socially distancing sport. I feel so lucky to be able to ride at this point.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 am

New horses! We need pictures!

Blob, RP is a little worker bee... he looks very earnest!

H4S, Mark looks really buff, even with all the time off he's had. You must be pleased. Fingers crossed for you.

And SF and Tesla! Yippee!

I'm sure I missed someone. Dont be offended, I'm going in 8 directions at once at the moment.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Spotted super pony is doing awesome! Here we are doing some half pass.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 12.23.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 12.23.57 PM.png (165.27 KiB) Viewed 15798 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:38 pm

Nice photo Rye, both your and Riot's posture look fantastic!

H4S, how exciting to be able to canter after all this time. I hope Mark continues to do well with some additional work. The pad and bonnet make me want to get some orange stuff for my redheads. :)

No second ride last night. I got Tesla tacked up, and an unexpected thunderstorm rolled in. Tonight my helper isn't available and the next two days are expected to hit 105f, but hopefully next week will be better. At least the dog days of summer don't last too terribly long around here.

I did have a nice ride on Annabelle this morning. She is able to do a much deeper CC loop than a couple weeks ago. We are mostly living in canter right now. Finished in the indoor with some nice SI, HI and LY. She is such a long/flat build that I'm finding that we will probably need a pretty solid SI and collected trot before the LY is any good.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:57 pm

Everyone is looking so good. I'm also impressed with the progress it seems everyone is making despite the current state of affairs and weather challenges that abound.

It. is. sooooooo. hot. here. At least it got down to 80 in the barn overnight :shock: I did more in hand work with Junior and then hopped in the saddle to do some lateral work at the walk. I decided it was time for Ace to learn some new moves as well. You never know when Spanish walk or around the world, etc may come in handy on the trail...LOL. We mounted from each side, then practiced opening and closing gates while mounted, then worked on the start of some Spanish Walk. I think both guys were intrigued with the funny human and all her 'things' she kept dragging out to work around, over, under etc. The stinker pony even hung out real close to stupervise.

I'm scheduled to pick up and bring home the new guy on Sunday because that's the only day my daughter is off of work to lend an extra hand if I need it. The heat advisory is on until Saturday so I do hope we get a monsoon storm or some break. I'm not sure I want to haul him (he's in Arizona but at higher altitude and lower temps - he loads but has never been hauled) into this sweltering sauna if it continues beyond Saturday. So pictures may be postponed.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Nice updates!

I was really happy to see Hot4spots on Mark!! Thanks for sharing that picture. I may be ever so slightly partial to half Arabs ;) , but I have to say that he is very handsome.

Congrats on Tesla’s first ride, SF. Glad to see you have your protective vest on.

Anne, I had forgotten you got a new horse. Ummmm, pictures?!

And Ryeissa, I love that picture! You’re position looks great and Riot is showing the results of good riding. Half Arabs rock, am Inright?! I’d love some more pictures.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:41 pm

he is 7/8 arab. He is doing excellent, just turned 16 and never been better! As some of you know, I have been studying biomechanics as my main focus since 2014 and I credit that with the most influential change(s). I have been riding even more during COVID, the barn is in an area that reamained open and no active cases. I am working from home so it's so much easier to get out to the barn.

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:48 pm

StraightForward wrote:H4S, how exciting to be able to canter after all this time. I hope Mark continues to do well with some additional work. The pad and bonnet make me want to get some orange stuff for my redheads. :)

That particular earbonnet is only $15 on Amazon. And it has rhinestones! Lots of other colors, too. :lol: It's easy to (ahem) spot on Amazon because there aren't many that fancy that are that inexpensive.

Return to “Dressage Training”