Rein Weight?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Rein Weight?

Postby Hayburner » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Just wondering if the style or weight of the reins make a difference to what a horse is feeling thru your hands or the bit?

I just bought the PS of Sweden softy super grip reins and thy are super light weight compared to my Stubben laced reins.

Wasn't sure if they will feel different/better/worse to my horse.

Thanks

demi

Re: Rein Weight?

Postby demi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:26 pm

I don’t know the answer to your question but the PS of Sweden softy super grip reins sound nice! I may have to get some!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:18 pm

Demi, they were an absolute bit@@ to get!

I won't give you the long drawn out version my rein saga, but DO NOt order from Royal Equestrian Group in CA. Which I have a feeling is owned by PS of Sweden. Horrible communication and ordering issues! I have never had such horrific service or should I say lack of service. Chatted with a girl in Facebook and she too ordered something from them, never got her item, lucky wasn't charged for them, but no communication either. When I finally got thru by finding and using a different email address than what's on their site, I got an answer that I had to reorder as the system automatically cancelled my order ! OMG, I waited over 2 months only to be told my order was cancelled. Ugh

I did end up getting them from Sporthorse Saddlery in MI. Turns out their price was less than PS of Sweden, probably because they had in stock and the old price. They were $65 vrs the new price of $81. Also, had free shipping. I never heard of them but found them on the PS website as a USA dealer. No other dealers in USA had stock. Super quick delivery too. Easy transaction.

They are nice but very thin and light weight, which is fine since I have smallish hands. I haven't tried them on the princes yet. After all the BS I went thru to get them, I sure hope I love them!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:50 pm

yes, absolutely. I have better luck in Equus Eventa thick rubber reins. The contact is much better on my horse who likes to be too light. I have experimented with a variety of types and this gives me the best connection.
I am surprised that rein type isn't a bigger conversation in dressage since I have found it has a huge impact on the quality of connection and horses have definite preferences.

Return to “Dressage Training”