May only the leaves fall this Fall. September October training Bimester

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: May only the leaves fall this Fall. September October training Bimester

Postby Tanga » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:47 pm

Cool Chisamba! Love the extended trot picture.

I have been waffling back and forth on the show on the 24th and finally entered. Sigh. I took a Covid test because I was feeling punky and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to infect anyone. I was negative. So, we'll see. I've been using my Pivo to give myself feedback. Man, I wish I could real time get after myself. And Quilla does wonderful two tempis, but now can do 15 ones without ever changing the right hind! I'm playing with different things to see what will help it. If I try to use a whip at all (like even carry it) she just flips out and then will stop and do weird crap. I'm trying pokier spurs, which may be helping a bit. Right now we're going for a GP test with at least a 6 on everything else, and see how low we can go on the ones!

demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby demi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:19 pm

Beautiful extended trot, Chisamba! Congratulations. Please tell Kimba for me that she is a gorgeous grey mare!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:29 pm

So after a lot of work on collection, strength and encouraging more lateral suppleness at the canter in our fire plug build of a welsh cob this past week, we took the last two days off to just trail ride. Junior was very happy to be out in the desert. The big news of the week is that I had another 'pony ride' on Brandon. This time a lot of slack was left in the lead rope so that I pretty much had control for the stop, go, turn right, turn left. He took it all pretty well. If he continues the same way, I will see if my neighbor will let me borrow his round pen in order to go solo in 2-3 weeks. Wished I had a phone/camera handy, he looks so handsome in my western saddle especially now that he's starting to fill out a little.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:17 am

Congratulations Chisamba, well-earned!

Sounds like you are having fun exvet. Yay Brandon!

And StraightForward, that's hilarious. Oh Tesla! There's one in every barn.

We've been working on the sitting trot and SI this past week. We were doing so well then I had a few physical issues and we got new footing in the outdoor arena and wow, it's like walking/trotting on the moon. It's amazing, but hard to sit on my guy at times. I don't know what happened. We ended on a great note last week in my dressage lesson. I think I'm leaning too far back when it all goes to heck, shoulders falling back behind the motion and my knees are then coming up. When we have it together, it's great. And when it's not, it's really not. I rode him without stirrups for the first time last week and that helped. He was happy, I was happy, we trotted, we cantered and it was fun.

We had a poles/jumping lesson yesterday. Pics because I have them. We are both learning so much and it's really helping with the canter and adjustibility. And condition and knowing where his feet are and my trust in him and hopefully his trust in me.
Attachments
1E03BEDC-6182-4A62-82B4-6F76F37E3545.jpeg
1E03BEDC-6182-4A62-82B4-6F76F37E3545.jpeg (106.83 KiB) Viewed 8653 times
_DSC4301.jpeg
_DSC4301.jpeg (97.16 KiB) Viewed 8653 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:55 am

exvet wrote:So after a lot of work on collection, strength and encouraging more lateral suppleness at the canter in our fire plug build of a welsh cob this past week, we took the last two days off to just trail ride. Junior was very happy to be out in the desert. The big news of the week is that I had another 'pony ride' on Brandon. This time a lot of slack was left in the lead rope so that I pretty much had control for the stop, go, turn right, turn left. He took it all pretty well. If he continues the same way, I will see if my neighbor will let me borrow his round pen in order to go solo in 2-3 weeks. Wished I had a phone/camera handy, he looks so handsome in my western saddle especially now that he's starting to fill out a little.
when I have a horse i am starting and no help, I tack up the new horse and my best other horse. I pony the new horse from the good horse until everyone is writhed relaxed and settled, then I swap horses and point the good horse from the new horse. the is nothing like the presence of a calm trained horse to influence a green horse well. it's even better than a human.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 pm

DE74A755-C5BA-4428-8EE7-112281D40868.jpeg
DE74A755-C5BA-4428-8EE7-112281D40868.jpeg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 8607 times

I was lucky to have a good pony horse when Rocky was a baby. Rocky had an alpha mare tendancy even at 3 and Pache enjoyed putting her in her place! I love his expression in this pic! He looks mean in the pic but he was the nicest horse we ever had, he would happily do any job asked of him.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:57 pm

Chisamba wrote:
exvet wrote:So after a lot of work on collection, strength and encouraging more lateral suppleness at the canter in our fire plug build of a welsh cob this past week, we took the last two days off to just trail ride. Junior was very happy to be out in the desert. The big news of the week is that I had another 'pony ride' on Brandon. This time a lot of slack was left in the lead rope so that I pretty much had control for the stop, go, turn right, turn left. He took it all pretty well. If he continues the same way, I will see if my neighbor will let me borrow his round pen in order to go solo in 2-3 weeks. Wished I had a phone/camera handy, he looks so handsome in my western saddle especially now that he's starting to fill out a little.
when I have a horse i am starting and no help, I tack up the new horse and my best other horse. I pony the new horse from the good horse until everyone is writhed relaxed and settled, then I swap horses and point the good horse from the new horse. the is nothing like the presence of a calm trained horse to influence a green horse well. it's even better than a human.

Well my choices are slim to none. Ace, my mustang, is terrorized by Brandon. There is no way he would allow me to pony Brandon off of him. Junior and Brandon fight like there is no tomorrow. The battle scars are unsettling but they're a relatively equal match; but, again, no option to pony one from the other. That leaves me the stinker pony and I think there is no need for explanation on why I can't use him.

I think I'm doing okay with my tried and true method. I'm going to stick to it ;)

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:59 pm

I love 'seeing' everyone, Sue B, Chisamba, Chantal, Heddylamar and Pheonixrising and so many others!!

So we did a thing this past weekend, baby horse learned about clippers.
Clipped.jpg
Clipped.jpg (124.97 KiB) Viewed 8586 times

I started out thinking of doing a small clip, just neck and shoulders as Kora lives out 24/7 with access to shed. Last winter we weren't doing much intense work, just kinda going around as a 4 year old but she was already looking much fuzzier this year and I don't want her to be uncomfortable as we do some real work this winter. This typical New England Fall of cold, breezy 50 degrees F one day to sunny 76 degrees F the next was another push.

Started out thinking no way am I going to get to clip her :shock: I have a pair of battery powered smaller clippers and loud obnoxious and corded Lister Stars that cut hair at an alarmingly great rate. Ended up using clicker training with the small battery ones as the NOISE and then the VIBRATION (even through my arm as I held the clippers in my hand) were a seemingly BIG DEAL. But a couple small training sessions over several days and 2+ boxes of sugar cubes later I was pleasantly surprised she let me get it done with no stress.

So that's my win of the week. Riding wise is a crapshoot, had a couple of stellar rides and now she feels rushy and weirdly tight and then yesterday felt butt high again so I'm chalking it up to another growth spurt.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 pm

congrats Chisamba! looking fab

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:24 pm

chantal- lovely jumping pics- you guys always look so nice!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:31 pm

Congrats, Chisamba! Pictures look fabulous!
Chantal--I always love seeing your jumping pictures. You both have lovely form over fences.
Aleuronx, Kora looks great with her clip. Clip is my least favorite horse chore, so I'm always impressed when someone has the patience to do a nice looking, clean clip.
Great to hear the update on Brandon, Exvet. And I'd love to see him in your western saddle looking handsome!

Work has been very busy lately, so riding has been light. And I've been without lessons for 2 months now(scheduling just hasn't been working out) and I'm definitely paying for it. But hopefully this sunday I'll have one on each of mine. I can't wait!

Ritter course has been interesting so far. I have to say he is definitely devoting a lot of time to it. We've had 2 live Q&As that have lasted 2 hours. And he's responded within 24 hours to every question or video posted on the fb group. Soon we'll be sending in videos (if we want) that will be discussed during a live session. We're still on the preliminary work for changes, but there are lots of good exercises. Last week's module introduced a pirouette renversee (which I'd never heard of before), but that I found quite challenging. It's basically a TOF in motion but with bend in the direction of travel, so almost like a half-pass TOF. His exercise had us go from TOF to pirouette renversee. And MM and I found it quite hard. It's interesting because several of his exercises involving supplying the horse through walk movements. On one hand, I really appreciate having challenging walk exercises that can break up the ride and also that give me time to puzzle through everything. I think on a horse like RP, walk lateral work really makes a difference. But, I'm not sure it does for MM. But I guess I will find out!

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:07 am

Blob yes it’s challenging but very good for mobilizing the hips and really stands them up. We did these rotations in Portugal. Anja Beran goes from renvere pirouette in one direction to renvere pirouette the other direction

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:57 am

Congrats Chisamba!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob

Postby blob » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:34 pm

khall wrote:Blob yes it’s challenging but very good for mobilizing the hips and really stands them up. We did these rotations in Portugal. Anja Beran goes from renvere pirouette in one direction to renvere pirouette the other direction

Oooh, I will try that! But I think I better try to master the TOF in one direction to pirouette renversee the other direction (keeping bend, changing direction) first before I go to changing bend and changing direction.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:09 pm

khall wrote:Blob yes it’s challenging but very good for mobilizing the hips and really stands them up. We did these rotations in Portugal. Anja Beran goes from renvere pirouette in one direction to renvere pirouette the other direction

I like a lot about Anja Beran’s training and have a couple of her books. Do you know offhand of any of her youtube (as in free haha) videos that show this exercise? I have a hard time visualizing complicated lateral work.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:52 pm

Lesson day! I wish I had gotten further with Rocky since my lesson last week, but my own hip/thigh problems are limiting. My trainer is good about not over pushing me so I’m thankful for that.

I’m working on keeping my horse unquestionably maintaining contact with the outside rein from my inside leg. I can’t imagine being able to do any sophisticated lateral work until I can effortlessly and fluidly switch from one outside rein to the other. I can switch them best at walk right now but even with Rocky’s natural forward instinct, I can’t stay at the walk too long or she gets sticky. So I work a little at walk, then trot a little, then back to walk. My transitions are getting better as a nice side effect!

I think a big part of the right lead canter issue we're having is directly related to the outside rein contact. The left outside rein contact is hard to get and easily lost. It’s kind of complicated because keeping the left outside rein contact from my right inside leg/seatbone requires a lot of strength. Not brute strength, but a refined strength so that I can smoothly and elastically keep my leg, seat, and hands PRECISELY where the need to be, EXACTLY when they need to be there. I’m right handed so my left hand and side is less coordinated and I can easily block the sensitive Rocky’s left hind leg. So then, I end up throwing away the left outside rein so I don’t block her....well crap!

I think I’m going to ask my trainer to let me work a lot on my own today and just keep an eye on me...that way I’ll be free to switch gaits as frequently as I feel necessary.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:15 pm

demi wrote:

I like a lot about Anja Beran’s training and have a couple of her books. Do you know offhand of any of her youtube (as in free haha) videos that show this exercise? I have a hard time visualizing complicated lateral work.

here is a video that show Pirouette renversee. The exercise Khall mentioned would be doing it 180 and then changing bend and going back the other way 180.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAa7Z3W04-Q

This shows the exercise Thomas Ritter is having us do--which is TOF in motion to pirouette renversee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTjxh9AxZWo

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:01 pm

Blob, that's the kind of exercises that I find very challenging but very fun. Thanks for sharing.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:53 pm

Blob that is different than how we did the rotations in Portugal so we changed the bend and flexion kept going the same way not keep the bend and change direction. I’ll have to try that one.

I spoke of these rotations in the piaffe thread but bent away from the movement not towards the movement.

Demi I don’t think there is any video of AB doing these movements. I took her online lateral work course is where she spoke of going from one renvere pirouette to the other.

One of her other huge sequences of movements that I like is to go from renvere to HI so you have to change bend change flexion and mobilize first shoulders then hips. I’m a big proponent of being able to change bend and flexion which shows how well the horse is in balance.

I also like being able to stay on a 10 m circle or larger if needed and go right while bending left. And vice versa. Another exercise
We did in Portugal.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:17 pm

khall wrote:
I spoke of these rotations in the piaffe thread but bent away from the movement not towards the movement.

Bent away from the movement would be a TOF in motion, right? At least that's the way Ritter has explained it. And then when you are bent in the direction of the motion, that becomes a pirouette renversee. So similar to the motion of a half pass, except the hind end making a larger concentric circle around the forehand.

Either way--all good exercises for supplying hips no matter which way the bend!

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:23 pm

Blob exactly. We just kept the same direction of the rotation and asked for change of bend and flexion in the rotation.

Gallop years ago spoke of what a good exercise renvere pirouette is. How it gets the horse to stand up in their shoulders.
Last edited by khall on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:56 pm

K, I'm confused.
From the video of the grey it appears to be TOH starting from HI. The only word I understood was travers...... That isn't too unusual, right? I do that quite a bit.
Renvers and travers are all relative to the direction the horse is bent....

I have done TOH from both SI and HI, or variations depending. But I might not understand anything here much.....Bear with me....hahah

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:08 pm

Rye the renvere rotation is where the HQs rotate around the shoulders in renvere

I agree the grey horse was not that clear in what they are doing

I would highly recommend following the Valenca’s on FB. They often share short videos on their work that incorporates much of this discussion.

They do two rotations or as AB calls it stepping over. One where HQs move around the front end first bent away from direction of movement (moving TOF) then bent towards direction of movement (renvere rotation)

Then where shoulders move around the HQs first bent away from direction of movement (counter SI) then in direction of movement (TOH or walk piri)

To mobilize the hips and shoulders

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:52 am

Thanks for posting the vids, Blob. My trainer has shown me the exercise the French rider is doing with the grey horse. She does it on her horse and has me try to imitate it on mine. There are two main points she is trying to teach me and the French rider demonstrates them very clearly.

The first point is that the horse is responding to inside leg to outside rein. The French rider shows this a couple of times by releasing the inside rein. My trainer does this and says “look, you don’t need the inside rein!”. The grey horse example is working into his right rein from the riders left leg/seat, but my trainer usually shows me working into the left rein from my right leg and seat, because that’s more difficult for both Rocky and me, and that’s when I have a tendency to try to bend her around with my right (inside) rein. Thus she says when she’s demonstrating “SEE! You don’t even need the inside rein.

The second point my trainer has shown me with that exercise, she does in the same direction as the French guy/grey horse. And that’s because it gets the horse to use the right hind. It’s real clear in several places how he steps well under and crosses over his left hind with his right. And Rocky doesn’t want to use her right hind as well as her left, so we work on it.

I hope I havent said “right” when i mean “left” which I do sometimes, but it’s so good for me to work through trying to explain this. I’m terrible about knowing my left from my right and still at times have to pretend like I’m holding a pencil so I know which is my right hand :roll:

I haven’t watched the second video carefully enough to comment. I think the first video is really good for me right now so I’ll just let that soak in for a while...

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:04 pm

We have a week and a half before the show. We have not practiced the test at all - I know the test and he knows the test (a little too quickly for my liking lol). So, instead, we have been working on the adjustability and control of the canter. I don't know what will happen in the test - but I'm pleased to report that this laser focus has taken my late changes almost to zero late changes - the only ones that are late are the few that he manages to steal from me. Maybe one a ride now. We have twice done a clean line of 3's, and while we haven't done a clean line of 2s (changes are clean, the count is not yet), we are able to do some very nice 2s before I lose control of the canter (usually he gets too behind me instead of staying up in front of me and me being able to push the 2s out.).

So, whatever will be will be - but the training is there, and the piaffe is coming spectacularly. He'll be a GP horse yet.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:13 pm

My lesson last night was great. Nowhere near as painful as last week, so maybe I'm not quite done.
I do get the feeling I can't do what I was doing, if I start asking for "more" from her, I felt hints of it...but if I just hacked around, I felt ok!
Trainer and I talked about it, and what we might do is have her get on her first on lesson nights and have a short training ride, and then I hack around for 10-15 minutes at the end just for fun.
I am taking the next two weeks off though since I'm taking a long trip to AZ to see my best friend before baby. So I wont be getting on her again until I'm around 30 weeks.
Trainer got a clean change on her both ways again last night, so that's exciting. She's also riding her in a clinic next weekend while I'm gone which I think will be great both for her and for Phoenix. She's going to send me video since I have to miss it, and I cant wait to see how it goes!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:04 pm

khall wrote:Rye the renvere rotation is where the HQs rotate around the shoulders in renvere

Then where shoulders move around the HQs first bent away from direction of movement (counter SI) then in direction of movement (TOH or walk piri)

To mobilize the hips and shoulders

sure, that makes sense. I have done this before. Thanks for the clarification.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:26 am

I had a great lesson today, too. We have been plugging away since our last lesson on staying up under my seat on both sides evenly and it is paying off (and, ahem... I have to say, the JJ Tate advice has proved an invaluable visual, if that's the word...) That and the new emphasis it brings to me about riding every footstep and really thinking about getting him to step through underneath my seat has made a really remarkable difference to the quality and adjustability of the gaits, and equally importantly as we go into winter his focus and concentration and confidence.

Trainer had me working a lot of the trot work today as rising, rather than sitting (to paraphrase somewhat "you know how to do that now--lets work on how you can influence the gait with how you rise and sit") And the canter was all about haunches in on a circle to get better separation and purer rhythm in the hind legs then taking it straight and maintaining the separation. Interesting and effective.

I'm pooped out and starving after 45 minutes of that :) So was Laddie.

I'll see if we can get some video next time.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:25 pm

Wow! Amazing updates and insights. And Moutaineer, I'm glad the words were helpful! I have just started back to riding Emi in a bit post tongue trauma. She is expecting absolute quietness but is willing to go to the hand. I just blew it with the first canter-trot transition when she slammed on the breaks from my overly strong outside rein to a H A L T. Oh right---very sensitive mare here! Riding bitless I was using much stronger body aids plus a solid feel of her head.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:09 am

I've been enjoying reading everyone's updates. Mountaineer - I hope you are able to get some video - it has been too long since we've seen you guys!

Bliss is coming along well. It's been several months now since I've had a lesson beacuse we keep having to postpone due to various reasons... If the universe aligns I will have a lesson this morning and if not then it will have been the 6th time over the past couple months that my lesson just didn't happen.

Dressage can be so humbling.. In the absence of any form of instruction I have been working away on my own, not always staying on the straight and narrow but not straying too far from it. I need to remember that I don't need to accept anything less than good balance from him. Part of my problem is that I'm just too accommodating at times and then I gradually accept less and less without even realizing it and pretty soon we're plonking around with him on the forehand and incapable of doing a nice trot halt transition (for instance). So that was my revelation about two weeks ago and since then I've been much more vigilant about him being responsible for his own balance and as a result I'm quite happy with where he is now.

Last ride we had some powerfully effortless canter halfpass right, and although the left isn't as good it's certainly coming. We also got three flying changes four strides apart on the diagonal. It feels pretty good to be at that point with my own horse. :)

Some pics for fun...
Attachments
Oct11_13.jpg
Oct11_13.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 8251 times
Oct11_11.jpg
Oct11_11.jpg (108.13 KiB) Viewed 8251 times
Oct11_9.jpg
Oct11_9.jpg (104.42 KiB) Viewed 8251 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:19 pm

Everybody is posting such nice pictures. Congratulations on all the progress to each of you, very impressive.

I must confess that I did NOT have a good lesson on Wednesday and as a result I'm heading over to a trainer/riding instructor I used to ride with but due to distance had stopped. I am also going over there again next Friday for a clinic with someone [else] I really, really respect and who I also used to ride with when she came to town or would drive the 2.5 hours one way to see her [USEF S judge]. While the vast majority of my lessons have been good I have been feeling like we were coming to a bit of a brick wall/plateau. I have valued the help and focus on biomechanics that I had been getting but with some saddle fit issues and typical cob attitude when things get tough the directive of "just keep insisting and ride through until he gives" was becoming less and less productive/to the point of becoming counter productive.

My last lesson began with the usual of demanding that Junior accept a specific level of contact. I had also been frequently discouraged of using my seat as a primary aid in terms of making the movements happen (like half halt - use more rein aid instead of all seat, just not backwards pull) well given my weakness on my right side this has always been a huge challenge for me. Naturally Junior has always taken advantage of not committing or stepping fully into the right rein. The more rein aid I was being instructed to use and demand he meet in the collected canter was devolving into a 4-beat gait. I finally got frustrated to the point that I asked to be allowed to just ride from the seat to regain the purity of the gait. I was allowed and spoken to in a way that came off as a huge - 'dare and doubt I could make it happen'. Well not to my surprise I had Junior working in a very nice collected canter, both direction off my seat alone. While I did have feel in the bridle it wasn't the "number 7-8" weight that I was being told I had to achieve to keep him over the back. I asked the instructor to give me some exercises to approach collected canter and lateral work in the canter so that I could build Junior's confidence, make him more supple and work him into the level of contact (tension over the top line/throughness) that she was demanding he do 'now' over a couple of weeks. I wanted to begin work on such during the lesson and then continue at home to hopefully bring back a horse more accepting of the level of work in a week or two. I was told, "I don't know how to do that. I have friends who are trainers that teach that way but I just teach the aids and you ride to those aids until the horse gives."..............I tried to explain that imo for Junior and myself that I didn't feel like 'that approach' would work especially because of his nature to use his under neck and my weakness. Her response was an accusatory exclamation of how dare I argue with her and that I was making excuses for poor biomechanics. I did admit that I could tell that at some moments I was getting in his way (much of that was due to more focus on use of my hands as she asked as opposed to just using my seat). The lesson ended with her being incensed that I would question her. I did try to explain that my responsibility is to first protect my horse and I did not want to teach him to get used to or develop the four beat canter as his go to for resistance which was quickly occurring. So........on the way home I made a few calls and hence another lesson tomorrow with a friend across town.

We'll see if it's just my aging body and 'misplaced' frustration getting the better of me or if a different approach to this level of work achieves the appropriate end, just at a slower rate. Junior has such a huge heart and great work ethic that I really don't think it's all his bad attitude and my failure to 'just ride through it' or more to the point, given my age and weakness the "only my way approach" cannot work and a different approach is needed to meet the same end............(this was much like being told a year ago that I needed to have Junior scoped for airway issues (he sucks his tongue when he gets tense) and really needed to get a pair of draw reins to get him to accept contact which came from the instructor's instructor [international BNT] so I can't say I'm hugely surprised at the turn of events just disappointed)..........Oi vey.............

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:45 pm

Exvet, sounds awful!! I have had instructors that were similar. How dare you question anything they say! It's not productive and honestly if I'm not getting something for whatever reason, the instructor needs to do it in a different way or I go somewhere else too.

I hope riding with other people is fun and productive for you. I've seen videos and you are a lovely rider. No one is perfect of course but hard to imagine that you are the problem here.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Rosie, Bliss looks great! I hope you're able to get a lesson in, but you're doing well on your own as well.

Exvet, that does sound frustrating. Biomechanics are great, but I wonder if there can be too much focus on them, to the exclusion of considering how the different brains function within the biomechanics they have to work with? It sounds to me like the instructor got insecure in a knowledge gap that really she could have been more open and said "can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I'll come up with some ideas for you." I hope the other instructors are able to be more helpful.

Speaking of lessons, I have one this afternoon, and then instructor is back for two days next weekend. Hopefully the technology gods will smile down and I'll be able to get video. Annabelle had her teeth done and bodywork Wednesday/Thursday, and after a rough warmup, she felt fantastic yesterday, and is close to having a clean C/W transition. Tesla continues to be a spoiled brat, so our rides are basically - walk, argue, trot, argue argue, trot, argue, acquiesce, trot trot, consider arguing, trot a bit more, stop and get off on a good note. That's just life until the arguing stops, though I'm getting better at getting her going again or before she starts growing roots.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:27 pm

It doesn't sound like this trainer is a good fit, Exvet. Doing the same thing over and over to the same poor result isn't effective teaching. I've "fired" instructors for that (and clients!) If they're not teaching in a way that works for me AND the horse, it's not worth my time, money, or frustration.

Good luck with the other trainer, I really hope they get you back on track.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:33 pm

oh dear, that is terrible. I think people get that way when they run out of solutions and turn defensive. Instead of saying they don't know they attack and protect the ego.
"just ride though it" isn't productive for most things. That is not a real answer, but what do I know....

khall

Postby khall » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Rosie Bliss looks good!

Exvet I’m glad you have help in another direction. Keep us posted on how it works out.

SF it does get better slowly with the WBs. One of the biggest helps with my WBs was using the whip on top of the HQs. Just tap tap tap annoyingly. Mark got me started with this a long time ago and it really helps. As Rip has gotten stronger he’s more willing to stay forward but he will never have that ticking along like Joplin does.

My biggest update is Rip. The piaffe work is paying off and his engagement is so much better. His collected canter is really quite good. Sitting on my butt like others here have discussed helps me to ride ride him better. He can do the collection on line easily with not even any side reins. All comes from the piaffe work. I’ve not been able to get cedar confirmed yet so I’ve been having a friend come over to help with Joplin and she’s going to be eyes on the ground with Rip a bit too. I don’t see any reason he cannot do changes and my friend can help with that. We still struggle with lateral work at the canter. Rip is built for strength not suppleness he finds sideways difficult. Joplin on the other hand is a noodle!

Hopefully will post some video now that I’ve figured it out.

Enjoying some cooler fall weather though still having 80’s as well.

Stay safe and happy riding all!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 pm

khall it sounds like Rip is really developing well. I agree that the piaffe work can really help them see how they can use and engage their hind end in a way that pays off with overall collection in most aspects of riding.

I should be clear and say that the instructor I've been riding with did say that she didn't know [when it came to answering my question about exercises to help supple the canter (for aid in the lateral work) and to encourage work into the outside rein, particularly the right rein when on left lead.] So, she did admit that she was 'stumped' and was shocked I would even ask. She just refused to even consider trying to find an alternate path. I wouldn't have been taken so far aback if (1) she hadn't given me other exercises in the past (like the turn on the haunches, trot, walk 2 strides and immediately turn on the haunches again to help quicken the hind end); (2) she had not been told and even asked me that day how my 'feel' in my right upper body was doing (No matter how hard I try I am at least 20% weaker on that side with a definite ceiling effect); and (3) she had not admitted to the HUGE difference that resulted when I collected him with just my seat and kept him in a pure 3 beat rhythm almost on the spot at times without ever shortening the reins........and then added the shorter rein without a huge fight (her comments over and over were 'beautiful, that's perfect, etc.........then she stated "You just discovered something about your seat..................um no, I've been doing 'this' with my seat for many years and many horses and always used seat before hand until our tenure together). I knew/know that Junior isn't strong enough to maintain such a degree of collection for long.....yet.

This gal is a decent instructor and has merits that she's earned through hard work; but, I do have issue with someone seeing things ONLY ONE WAY. Just tells me that despite all the accolades, I've still likely started more horses from scratch. I will also give her biomechanics aspect full credit and will even admit that my nemesis has always been getting and maintaining a true connection with the right amount of power and tension (in the right direction over the back) in order to get a horse to the highest rung. Some of what she has been insisting on is true..........there's just more paths to Rome which is where I'm at right now.

Still as I've been discussing with the preparatory work for the flying changes I need to be able to give a clear half halt on the right rein and have him accept and still come through without him breaking the gait or just stopping. All of this comes back to having a solid collected canter, being supple in the collected canter and the medium canter, and accepting the aids all the way around......so I need exercises and those that I can utilize given my handicap (though I hate calling it that, I'm just old and paying the price of allowing my profession to beat up my body).

Having ridden with both that I am scheduled to ride with over the next week, I have confidence that they can at least help sort things out and come up with a realistic plan. Both were integral in helping me earn my silver and getting the stinker to PSG. One even successfully rode the stinker (though she admitted that once was enough and was grateful she lived to tell the tale LOL) and the same individual still has Monty at age 23 in her barn learning the 2's - sound, sane and happy. I figure sucking it up to pay the extra mileage and time to keep Junior sound and happy is more than worth it. :) Besides, they're both older gals like me so perhaps they'll be more 'understanding' of having to think out side the box to compensate for some physical aspects that can't be changed with a simple mind over matter approach. Stay tuned......

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:02 pm

In my experience, which is much less than many of you, the best instructors have learned how people learn. I have had it said that the best way to get across ideas is to present it in the various ways students learn- kinesthetic, visual/demonstrative, illustrative/pictures/imagination, and theory/why.
Basically try to explain the concepts in each of these ways to find out what "sticks" and what is meaningful to the student. This implies however, that they HAVE a solution.
I never realized i was a kinesthetic learner till 2014, then it made so much sense why reading theory books wasn't as impactful.
Just my limited 2 cents.
There can be "one way" of teaching in a sense, but in that way a teacher should not be stumped in solutions. Horses aren't that unusual and one would think they have seen it before.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:34 pm

Exvet,I think it's good that you go looking to find an instructor that suits and I think everyone develops their own riding philosophies and what they want to achieve and need to find someone who can help with that. I've had quite different instruction over the years when I look back on it, my own riding ideas changing as I go.

Rosie, Bliss always looks good but I can totally relate to the difficulties with training by yourself and letting things slide without meaning to. I do this so well :roll: Videoing does help but it is still in hindsight and different to when you have someone right there at the time, telling you what to do.

Speaking of lessons the lady who I last had some lessons with is now going to be coming down every 6 weeks so I can have some regular instruction! She had to go over what she last taught me (arghh as the above paragraph) but I thought I'd share some video. It's far from perfect, but hopefully in time I can look back and see improvement.
The main thing that was pointed out to me, was I get behind in the movement especially on Norsey as he is so big. I asked for help with zigzags and she made it so much more simple for us! I had been fiddling around so much with the change over, it was taking me half the arena. She changed what I was doing by reminding me to sit in the halfpass by leading the horse with your inside hip and allow them to jump under it. Then for the new lead/direction, open your other hip and turn your shoulders and let them jump up under you.
I'll definitely need more practice but it really helped us. He was pretty tired in this vid, you can hear his breathing and see him leaning down. It was the last lesson on the 3rd day and even though I love how this instructor does small amounts of each exercise (she says no need to 'run the legs off them' - this has been great for my little horse especially) it must have been hard work for the big guy.

https://youtu.be/0Tx6fpBvbSE

The other really helpful things was the exercise of walk piri to renvers. Then add canter. My body positioning in piris - she had me point my whip at her head and turn my shoulders more, keep opening my inside hip to allow him to step under and try not to block with my inside leg. You can see in the vid that I was struggling! My brain can't do everything at once yet.

https://youtu.be/nDDABZPfLKw
Last edited by Flight on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:00 am

khall, thanks, I will try the tapping. Tesla was much better today. I decided to use some reverse psychology on her and only "let" her trot a quarter circle. Pretty soon she was asking to trot and only got stuck to the ground once, and briefly. I think also, she wants to go into a little too closed of a frame that she is not strong enough for, and gets a little too over her front legs, then she stops and she is too over her shoulders to easily step forward again. As I told someone at the barn today, she is making me rethink everything I thought I knew about training, but at least she's not doing anything dangerous, so I will just keep plugging away.

Annabelle was great in her lesson today. She had this moment of brilliance where she really came through and brought her shoulders up and out. Of course I'd forgotten to start recording on the SoloShot, but got the last five minutes, though we didn't quite recreate the same moment of brilliance.

Just for fun, I uploaded that five minutes, and a clip from exactly six months ago. Watching them side by side, I'm so pleased with my little horse. My instructor said "You have completely changed her gaits" which felt like high praise indeed. :D

April: https://youtu.be/QHD9ZU5mEmY
Today: https://youtu.be/XJlZr7UE_Ys
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:31 am

StraightForward wrote:
Just for fun, I uploaded that five minutes, and a clip from exactly six months ago. Watching them side by side, I'm so pleased with my little horse. My instructor said "You have completely changed her gaits" which felt like high praise indeed. :D

April: https://youtu.be/QHD9ZU5mEmY
Today: https://youtu.be/XJlZr7UE_Ys

Wow now that's some really nice progress. Pretty, pretty girl. Congrats.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:11 am

Very nice SF!!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:17 pm

SF, Annabelle is looking really good. I love having pics and video, to document progress and to see what I'm actually doing vs. what I think I'm doing.

exvet-sorry you are having a hard time, sending encouragement to work through it. It sounds like you are a great advocate for your horse and yourself.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:26 pm

I so enjoy reading and viewing the pictures and videos posted. So much progress made training and progression in your horses. Today I will ride my guy to see how he goes after his time off and chiro work. Fingers crossed we feel good.

Rosie - as always beautiful pictures. SF - those videos certainly show your progress - good work! I know I missed others but I do enjoy the pics.

exvet - I must comment regarding that trainer - dump her. Imo - you are far more experienced a trainer/rider even if you wanted some eyes on the ground. This is the wrong trainer and although I'm a low level rider - I disagree with her feedback. So kudos to you for recognizing and questioning this situation before it took you down the wrong road - only to waste time and frustration for you and Junior.

Good riding to everyone.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:25 pm

I finally have some pictures! I've been working Brandon back and forth on the lunge line and long lines including ground driving for the last several weeks. I started out with him just on the lunge line working on his 'forward' or 'go' buttons. He did really well. Then my SO offered to come down and give me a pony ride and shoot a picture or two for the breeder. This morning was probably the 7th time I've mounted him and the 5th time I've received a 'pony ride'. I did all of the steering, whoa and go. He's taking a little time to accept the bit and slight contact but not too bad, definitely better than last attempt. I think we'll still be on target to go solo in 2-3 weeks.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... ndon_3.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... ndon_2.jpg

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... ndon_4.jpg

I also took a lesson this morning on Junior. I got to see some familiar faces including my old gelding, Monty. He looked great. Fortunately this riding instructor knows me very well and for a very long time. I explained my concerns and challenges. She watched us start out at a walk and immediately sorted out where the issues were. We worked through all three gaits and she gave me a simple but not so simple exercise to get him to allow me to access and maneuver the shoulders. By doing so I was able to deal with his tendency to bulge through the right shoulder when on the left rein and unload it when going on the right rein. There were some challenging moments trying to keep him true to the right rein but we got some very good straight into the bridle/both reins work and I got exercises that I can use at home to keep up the improvement. So for us it's focusing or thinking renver to the left when I lose the right shoulder and [think] haunches in when I go to the right, making sure I have a true bend around my right leg. We did some work on the square and for the first time Junior started to dive and collapse when I would ask for downward transitions because the work was getting harder; but, since both this instructor and I have flown planes in the past, she knew immediately what imagery to give me that worked to address all of his evasions. Junior did throw in one flying change (but it was clean!) and one hissy fit of really nice piaffe (had to laugh) but that was all. I've got my work cut out for me; but, at least I have a road map again.

I wasn't surprised that this instructor was able to hone in and get right to the point. She wasn't taking any prisoners or hostages either. She was all over my butt, but in a productive way. She did say (having known the other instructor for many years) that she'd seen some things improved with my riding/position to the credit of the other instructor. All in all I was ever so thankful to have taken the step to drive the distance. Now I have a ride next Friday morning with the clinician that this instructor and I have both trained with in the past. I'm sure it will be another tough as nails session but looking forward to what else I can add to the toolbox in order to unlock Junior's and my bad habits. Of course I didn't leave without going and giving Monty a HUGE hug and kiss on the nose. I think even Junior was happy to see his 'uncle'.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Exvet, Brandon is beautiful, it looks like you'll be a perfect fit for him. Glad the other instructor was so much more helpful; it sounds like it's well worth the drive.

Thank you everyone for the compliments on Annabelle. I am just so happy for this turnaround when just 8-10 months ago I wasn't sure if she would ever be sound again. She was lovely again today - we started out with the stretching early in the ride, and then got a nicely balanced CC loop on the left. Right was another story, but she just got past some ride lead difficulties the past few days, so I gave her a pass on that and we'll try again in a few days. We are signed up to ride with Carrie Harnden November 6th & 7th, and then I think I'll back off on her work for a month or so since it's been pretty much full work since spring.

Tesla was a good girl again today too. I thought I was doing her a favor riding in a forward seat saddle, but I think she prefers my weight more back, and is happier going in Annabelle's dressage saddle. She didn't bog down and argue even once today, though she did get stuck in the halt a couple times. I'm getting better at making her think my ideas are her ideas.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:59 pm

Straightforward you are such an inspiration! Improving our horses is such a big reason we are all here. You've done a great job.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:42 pm

I dislike myself when the solution to my problem is something I damned well know and somehow neglected. Horses can be humbling yes.

I have finished show season, I am now planning the winter journey to next year's goals. I will have 3 show horses, along with my six client horses. I think I need to make a hard choice about my focus. but I love riding all three. and I change my mind so often. lol.

I am not sure why I am sharing this, it's not very enlightening or educational.

Rosie, Bliss is lovely as ever.
Straightforward, isn't it so fulfilling to be able to see such progress.
Exvet, finding an instructor I can really trust is exceptionally complicated. I truly understand your questioning.

flight: you just keep progressing. it's fab.

ib didn't mention everyone, but I do appreciate all the contributions. thank you for keeping me inspired

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:39 pm

I've been sitting a bit on the sidelines this thread but love all the updates. Such progress!

Speaking of... I took Queso to a schooling show this weekend to get a sanity check on the health of our work. We rode 1-3 and 2-1, which is a bit of a leap since our first show this year at T-1 back in January. And despite all my hemming and hawing about not being ready, or not looking good enough, we actually got some good scores (66% at 1st, 63% at 2nd) and affirmation that we're on the right track.

Super proud of my guy! I didn't coordinate pictures, so the only snap I got of him was this very pensive grazing photo:

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:55 pm

Congrats, Ponchiwa!

Great to see everyone's progress and pictures and videos!

Exvet--I'm glad you had a good lesson with the trainer you used to work with. I'm also glad that you were able to get something out of the trainer you had been working with. I do find that sometimes we run our course with a trainer. Meaning, they might helpful for some time but then it is time to move on from them.

I had my first lesson in over two months this weekend. Because it had been so long the lessons were not super intense and were more of a catch up. With MM, we are continuing to try to get her to really engage her lumbar and come through in a more honest way. It is a hard thing because I can't simply just leg her forward--more leg gets her more active, but doesn't engage the trouble spot. So I really have to access it gradually over the course of a ride. I'm sure a more capable rider could get it faster/more efficiently, but we have to slowly work for it. It is hard to keep that patience, sometimes. We are also working on getting her a bit more dynamic with changes. For example, MM finds it easier to do 40 strides of HP in one direction than to do 2 strides HP one way and then 2 strides the other. She would much rather lock into a position or movement than constantly change things up. So it's good for both of us to practice that, I also find myself getting sloppy when I need to be more dynamic.

With RP we worked on our forward and back in the trot and on c-w-c. Both of which are coming along nicely. I was hoping to work more on trot lateral work, which is a trouble spot for us, particularly off the right leg, but hopefully next time.

Return to “Dressage Training”