May only the leaves fall this Fall. September October training Bimester

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

May only the leaves fall this Fall. September October training Bimester

Postby Chisamba » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:58 pm

If you have a more clever name, Straightforward, I'll bow to superior humor.

Caliburn, introduce shoulder in, develop lengthening and some collection workout sacrificing the elastic back. my song for him would be " its all about that base. ( of the neck) bout that base, no trouble.

Kimba, the key is not sacrificing balance for " progress". really finishing the flying change.

Saiph, it's still about confidence in each other. also more concertina like longitudinal stretch in all gaits.
Last edited by Chisamba on Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exvet

Re: Don't Fall, its Fall. September October training Bimester

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:12 pm

Well I'll try not to fall especially since my hope for Brandon is to back him some time in the next two months.

For Junior, it's more of the same in terms of working to maintain the quality of gaits we've achieved thus far and perfect or at least become more proficient at the canter half-pass and flying changes.

Poor Ace seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order; so, my goals for him is to just try to figure out how to level out the herd dynamics. Seems that gelding the former herd stallion who had a band of mares and survived out on the Rez (which is pretty inhospitable) really knocked him down in terms of will to defend himself.

While the stinker pony is safe here I would love to find someone who wanted to free lease him for any single babies (or small number) they are planning to have next spring. He is so awesome with putting up with their antics, not beating them up but putting on manners and he's about as healthy as a pasture ornament as they come. We got through a second summer without any major allergy flare ups (and what he is allergic to only grows on the Sonoran desert). Oh well, I'm going to start hitting up some of my welsh contacts and see where we get. He sure could use a job though he's not complaining about being a pasture pet LOL.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:23 am

Thanks for starting a new thread, Chisamba. Don't fall is a good mantra for me getting into Tesla's second 30 days under saddle.

So this two months:

Annabelle - Get the CC and simple changes working. Establish more honest bend in the SI left especially.

Tesla - Get the steering and canter established.

Me: I've been running, doggedly. I think I'm going to try to mix it up with 2x a week running and 2x a week doing some kettlebells and maybe a bit of yoga.
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:24 am

I'm in, although it will be a slow start as Connor has a bruised heel, and is a bit gimpy today.

Goals:
1. Improve the walk : insist on active & 'marching', but I must not nag at him.
2. get confident and prompt trot->canter transitions : we can trot, we can canter, but getting between the two often has some messy moments.... mostly due to me I suspect - I can get tense and lose clarity and over-think the aid....
3. me: continue some daily core exercise, a short plank routine, and a short (4 minute) 'Foundation' routine for back pain improvement.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:14 pm

My goal should be PSG with my horse, interesting. Time to kick it into high gear! So fun
I'm doing a mix of clinics, lessons and shows this fall.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:31 pm

I've got a show this next weekend and one in October which should, hopefully, give me all my scores needed for the championships in 2021 (and I will NOT forget the GP test!) I know my one tempis aren't going to be perfect, but even with one late, Osinksi gave me a 6.5 because they were straight, up, and forward. So I'm going to focus on that and hope the right hind works itself out! Then it's just working on strengthening and relaxation until I start showing sometime between Feb. and April.

A cool thing is I connected to someone on the International Dressage Riders page that wants to start a business creating music for freestyles. He's in England and a music teacher, and his ex girlfriend introduced him to freestyles. He was wondering why everyone just used music that was already made cut and pasted to the ride. I explained basically no one (I showed him Anky and Guenter's freestyles of original music) has original music because people aren't rich. He is thinking of charging about $150 to create music for rides. I told him if he does that, he'll get a lot of business, and just getting people to cut and paste for you is usually $4-500, let alone doing choreography. So, I will be one of his guinea pigs and he is creating music for Quilla! I created a quick beginning of an ideal ride for her and sent it to him so he can get started. (Walk in, canter, pirouette, 9 one tempis, pirouette, half pass corner to B or E, two tempis on half circle and half pass the other way, extended canter to G, double pirouette, walk.) I'm excited to see what it sounds like, and hopefully I'll have an ideal test for us with amazing music to show next year!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Things are changing so much, so fast with both my riding and with Miro that I'm having a hard time coming up with 2 month goals.

What I hope will happen is that we can reliably do 4 and 3 tempis on my count by the end of these next two months... we'll see, last lesson there was hope!

That I can school the entire I1 test with a decent amount of competency - IF all goes well... we may do either PSG or I1 in November at the last show of the season for us - but honestly, I'm in no rush to get into the ring again before next spring. (We've also talked about bringing Gala back for a hail Mary for I1 to get that other score for my gold, but honestly, I want to do it on him.)
- if we can school an I1 decently - we'll start putting a freestyle together for Miro for that.

That the penny starts to drop on the half steps over the next 2 months (most likely this will take much, much longer, but I'd like to see incremental improvement in understanding what we're asking him to do).

That the rein back continues to improve as we chip away at the in hand work.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 pm

trying to give myself goals that are focused on the action and not the outcome this time around:

General (both horses/me):
Work on position by spending time on the lunge, using resistance bands, and getting lots of video to assess progress and challeges
Ride through tests more! Doesn't even matter what test, just practice riding tests!
Do something different which each horse at least once a week (jumping, poles, hills, lunging, etc)
Try to exercise at least once a week off the horse

MM:
Get off property at least once
Focus on keeping short reins
Work on canter LY and half-pass making sure I can keep forward and sideways
Practice our jumping to see if we are ready and able to do a 3-phase in October (it will be my first!)

RP:
Work on LYs
Introduce trot SI
Work on T-C transition
Work on forward and back in t & c

blob

Postby blob » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Tanga wrote:
A cool thing is I connected to someone on the International Dressage Riders page that wants to start a business creating music for freestyles. He's in England and a music teacher, and his ex girlfriend introduced him to freestyles. He was wondering why everyone just used music that was already made cut and pasted to the ride. I explained basically no one (I showed him Anky and Guenter's freestyles of original music) has original music because people aren't rich. He is thinking of charging about $150 to create music for rides. I told him if he does that, he'll get a lot of business, and just getting people to cut and paste for you is usually $4-500, let alone doing choreography. So, I will be one of his guinea pigs and he is creating music for Quilla! I created a quick beginning of an ideal ride for her and sent it to him so he can get started. (Walk in, canter, pirouette, 9 one tempis, pirouette, half pass corner to B or E, two tempis on half circle and half pass the other way, extended canter to G, double pirouette, walk.) I'm excited to see what it sounds like, and hopefully I'll have an ideal test for us with amazing music to show next year!

this sounds awesome! Please keep us posted on the music you get for Quila, would love to see it! And yes, agree that $150 for original music would be really great!

Flight

Re: May only the leaves fall this Fall. September October training Bimester

Postby Flight » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:23 pm

Good old FB memories came up today and reminded me that I did my first PSG a year ago now. The time has gone fast and I feel I've stagnated a bit.
However, when I watch it and look at Ding now, he has improved since then.
I went to a clinic just 10 mins up the road which was awesome! So close. While the lady hasn't ridden much higher than me, and is a student of the same woman I do clinics with, she rides beautifully and has an amazing eye. She helped me with some of my riding position problems, one that was a bit of a revelation was that I was getting a bit behind him in half passes/piris. Another thing was doing less and just waiting a bit longer for him, which is opposite to what I have been doing. I tend to chase him to be more snappy and quicker to react. But, it didn't take long and and he can do everything with the lightest aids. It was very good.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:58 am

Still in the 100’s and not getting below 80 at night. But it shouldn’t last much longer....

So I have some little goals for this round.

1.) Video Training test 3 again with improvements and send it to VirtualHorseSport.com for non-ranked judging and coaching by a USDF judge.

2.) Video the components of First and Second Level. We can do everything in the those tests, some fairly well, and some fairly horrible.

Starting lessons a couple of years ago with an experienced, accomplished FEI trainer has really helped me start to get my act together. However, I think now it is going to be important for me to put things to the actual tests. Even if it’s just online, getting some actual numbers (scores) will help give a reality to my riding instead of just “imagining” how I am doing...

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:58 am

blob wrote:
Tanga wrote:
this sounds awesome! Please keep us posted on the music you get for Quila, would love to see it! And yes, agree that $150 for original music would be really great!

I completely will. I probably won't have one together before the new year, but one of the things I promised, and was going to do anyway, is to spread the word about his services. If he can do this, he's going to have to massive success. It's very exciting to be like Anky and have someone create music for you, even if it's not on of the original members of ABBA!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Apparently we've started working on advanced moves-my blah blah blah Mikey story from yesterday. Walking back up the lane from a short trail walk, we were on the "wrong" side of the road. Meaning, not the usual side, and the side with a bunch of dead trees in a pile. I did briefly think about being on the "wrong" side, but being me, I stayed there. Well somehorse notices them and of course they are killer, dead trees so he sits back on his haunches and does a beautiful, perfectly balanced pivot, basically one step of a canter pirouette to the left to escape them. It was so soft and balanced and all I could think was "oh my gosh his pirouettes are going to be AMAZING", so far from ohmygoshi'mgonnadie of a year or more ago. I don't think my heart rate elevated at all and we proceeded forward to barn without a fuss. This horse!

We did do another schooling show a week and a half ago and improved our scores a bit. No more spooking at letters while showing but still issues with energy and the contact. I think I'm inconsistent on the outside rein. I contributed to some mistakes on T3 (allowed him to come out of canter too early and we went too deep in a corner on a serpentine as he was fussy in the walk trot transition which lowered our score but I was happy overall. He much more ramped up in the warmup, it was different even though it was in the same venue, and he spooked quite a few times.

We also did a poles clinic at our farm last Saturday, first one since Covid hit and it was fun! The instructor was pleased with the changes she sees so there's that. He's so much more consistent and on the contact (hmmm, so it's a nerves showing thing?) in her words.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:14 pm

We are still triple digit heat index with dew points in the mid 70's. I feel like we are living in a jungle the air is so humid. We are getting into the low 70's at night but it is 10 pm or so before it feels better. That is when I am cleaning stalls.

I am getting horses worked, Joplin about 4 times a week and really enjoying her and figuring her out:) Rip 3-4 times a week and Gaila just a couple. We keep having pop up T storms that are quite impressive even if they don't come over top of us.

So here I was trying to get video of working Rip in hand and on line. Collected trot and medium trot, collected canter, piaffe, passage and SW. The video was just too far away to be of much use so just pulled a still of Rip's SW so I could enlarge it. He's got excellent reach in the front but struggles with the smoothness of the SW. He gets so into putting those front feet up he forgets to keep stepping behind.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

That's all the pictures I have to share right now. Happy with all of them, in a bit of saddle hell with Joplin she is a bit too wide for my Vinici and the Adam Ellis is a bit too wide for her:( Having my holistic vet out for her opinion. Contemplating buying the bareback pad the Valenca's recommend just because. I really like the balance of the Ellis on her but it slides forward on my wide load girl

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:29 am

Well, I actually managed to ride for 15 minutes today without feeling like dying. Progress, I guess.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:55 am

I'm with you Mountaineer and glad you are feeling better. And people say riding isn't exercise :roll: .

As usual, life gets in the way. Kyra has been doing very well but she is going to have at least 10 days off while I get the carpal tunnel business fixed in my left hand. I will have stitches for 10 days so I am sure the doc doesn't want me farting around in the dirt and manure.
I have been ruminating for several months on getting my Mother to move in with me. I brought her to my house for dinner and explained how I thought it would be better for her and she agreed! OMG, regular riding will probably take a big hit as we will have to sell her house and disperse most of 65 years of accumulation (hers isn't as bad as a lot but will still be a chore). I do have a sister that will help and it will be so much better to have her here. She has been sitting in her house alone, mostly just vegetating in front of the TV except for a daily visit from either me or my sister since COVID started. She is getting confused on all the bill paying and has been endlessly harassed with phishing calls. We have both told her not to answer the phone if she doesn't recognize the number but her reflex is to answer it. The other day she had her bank statement out and was talking to 'Social Security' :twisted: . So big life change for both of us.

However, when I get to ride, I am going to continue with the current program. Working on the basics (freely forward and straight) and if I can ride enough and keep her in good shape, start working on collection. Her canter work has been very nice. She can do canter-walk-canter, halt-reinback-canter and I have added some canter out of TOH. I feel flying changes aren't that far away but I have to be able to keep her in regular work so we shall see. I will continue with her Spanish walk work.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:11 pm

Moutaineer, glad you are feeling slightly better

Susan, I am in the same place as you except my mother lives next door, I've been paying her bills for 3 years now and I have no siblings near by (or even in the same state) to help me out, I still work full time and I have a son in high school. You have my empathy and I hope the move for your mom goes as smoothly as possible. :D

I have been riding, not as much as I should perhaps, but at least 3/4 times a week I think. Anyways, I don't think I have any real goals yet except to finally get to ride in my new saddle! Of course, it isn't here yet but fitter says few weeks, so fingers crossed.

While I impatiently wait, I have been working on improving gait quality with Rudy. His trot is getting quite nice now right from the get go, although he is struggling to maintain cadence in hp...not sure why. In canter, w-c-w is very good now, no trot steps, no hollowing, straight and forward. I think I can get more jump with the new saddle, however, which will make fc easier. Meantime, our new challenge is to canter over a pole placed between 2 jump standards without changing the stride and without bracing. Rudy is not fond of jumping, so going through the jump standards makes him nervous. I decided it's time he got over it so every other ride or so, cantering over that pole both directions, on a circle, is our challenge. Lol

Tio has his good and awful days still. Good days he is lightly on the aids, forward and kinda fun to ride. Bad days he is balkly, sulky, and just a pain in the rear end. The only positive about his bad days is that he no longer threatens to rear or buck, so I guess that's something. Sunday he was horrid, last night he was wonderful. I guess my goal this 2 months is to have as few horrid days as possible.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:47 pm

Ryeissa wrote:My goal should be PSG with my horse, interesting. Time to kick it into high gear! So fun
I'm doing a mix of clinics, lessons and shows this fall.

Wow Ryeissa!! Can't wait to hear all about this, go on with your bad painted pony self.

We are experiencing some cooler nights and mornings here in the Northeast so I'm keeping the goals easy this section. Or at least maybe pony travel heavy before the bad winter comes. We are still focusing on training but I'd like to trail ride as much as I can as well.

Here's from one of our hacks this week at our home farm. I was super proud of her walking through/pushing a small tree that was chest height out of the way that had fallen across the trail.
hack.jpg
hack.jpg (212.5 KiB) Viewed 9921 times

Goals:
At least 3 lessons with trainer
Increase frequency of transitions within and between gaits aka turn up the heat
Hack, Hack, Hack
Make it out to play day farm

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:14 pm

yeah! I love my pony! he never lets me down!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:23 pm

I overachieved a bit yesterday afternoon and took a lesson. The understanding was that I would warm him up and trainer would take over from there, but somehow the takeover didn't happen. Stupid. I felt decidedly off by the time we finished, and had a very early night.

We did have a good ride though,. I wish I could remember more of it. I'm feeling a bit wobbly today.

90 for a high tomorrow, down to 40s for highs on Tuesday. Ugh. Colic weather.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:14 am

In mid-july I bought a new saddle. It is different from a traditional saddle and has a flexible tree that adjusts to the horse you're riding. I got it mostly with RP in mind, who is so sensitive that he was needing constant saddle adjustments--so having a saddle that meets him where he is seemed worth trying. Another benefit, of course is that I could downsize to one saddle for both horses.

When I decided to buy, the rep suggested I take a picture of my horses' backs and then compare it in 6 months. Well...the other day I was looking at RP and thought his back was looking different. So, I took updated shots of my two to compare to the pictures I took when I bought the saddle just under 6 weeks ago. And I was surprised to see a definite difference in both backs.

'before' pictures were taken July 22nd and 'after' pictures were taken Aug 31st.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 10.09.36 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 10.09.36 PM.jpg (184.06 KiB) Viewed 9867 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (125.76 KiB) Viewed 9867 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:36 am

Wow Blob, they both look like they've really lifted up in the thoracic sling. MM is looking like a tank (in a good way).

It's funny you posted these, because I took Annabelle over to the saddler today (she does a lot more than just fitting) for the first time since she was injured. Her tracings are so much more symmetrical now. She used to be almost an inch smaller behind her wither on the right as compared to the left, and now it's within .5 cm, and she was close enough to symmetrical in back that the saddler felt she no longer needed shims. She also had to remove some flocking that she added to the front to make room for Annabelle's new muscles. I think part of this is she was literally carrying her barrel crooked and now it is closer to straight, plus the muscling is more even.

Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:01 am

Wow blob that is amazing! Can you remind us which saddle you ended up with? I remember it was one I had never heard of.

SF that is great that Anabelle is getting more symmetrical! I know the last video you posted of her she was looking good.

I am in a bit of saddle hell right now. If I could find one saddle that works for all 3 of mine that would be awesome (as long as it works for me too, though I am not too picky seat wise). My Vinici is fine for Rip and Gaila but needs some work. Flocking etc and it is a bit too narrow for Joplin. Having my holistic vet out next week to check and see if it is bothering her, I am afraid it might be. Sending off the Adam Ellis for point billet. It really is a lovely saddle with good leather and nice balance but does not work with Rip and Gaila at all. Sigh I hate saddle shopping!!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Blob, that is a HUGE difference! SF and Blob, I'm always amazed at what good work does to horse's backs.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Dresseur wrote:Blob, that is a HUGE difference! SF and Blob, I'm always amazed at what good work does to horse's backs.

the interesting thing about this, is it is the same work, ( as in the same rider etc) just a different saddle.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:50 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Dresseur wrote:Blob, that is a HUGE difference! SF and Blob, I'm always amazed at what good work does to horse's backs.

the interesting thing about this, is it is the same work, ( as in the same rider etc) just a different saddle.

Yes, exactly. I didn't change the program or have my trainer start riding. There only change has been the saddle. And yes, I can say, esp with RP the quality of work has also changed, but as a result of the saddle. And I have to say, I did NOT expect such a noticeable physical change in just 6 weeks. And both were previously going in saddles that had been fitted for them. MM's was custom ordered for her.

Khall, the saddle I ended up with is called the dynamic saddle. Instead of a wood or metal tree, it uses a tree made from a flexible polymer. You saddle up normally, get on to walk and after about 5-7 minutes of walking, the tree is supposed to flex with the rider's weight to fit the horses back. Then you retighten the girth and get to work. On RP, I can feel the saddle change during that initial time. The saddle is supposed to work on any horse--so they don't have different tree sizes, you just buy your seat size. I have to admit I was pretty skeptical about this and of course haven't tested it on a many different types--though RP is about two tree sizes narrower than MM-- but I think the pictures speak for themselves in terms of it certainly adapting at least enough to work correctly for my two. And RP has been much, much happier in his work.

Let me know if you want more details, Khall, and I can PM you!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:08 pm

WOW!! You can really see the difference in those photos Blob! Do you feel your horses physically move a bit different too in this saddle type? Very impressive.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 10.12.33 AM (1).jpg
Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 10.12.33 AM (1).jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 9824 times

Super pony!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:31 pm

Tesla is finding her forward button. She even offered about two strides of canter this morning, but it was our first time riding with another horse and really moving out around the whole outdoor and navigating around some jumps that were set up. Oh, also first time in this saddle, which the saddler was able to widen through the channel yesterday so it works for both my wide girls now. Planing to ride her in this AP saddle through the winter so I stay in a more forward seat with focus on GO. Good to know she is thinking in that direction though.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:49 pm

Josette wrote:WOW!! You can really see the difference in those photos Blob! Do you feel your horses physically move a bit different too in this saddle type? Very impressive.

in the trot, MM has a tendency to go up and down with her hind legs rather than reaching under. Getting her to connect her lumbar region has been an on-going challenge for us. Since switching saddles, she is a lot more willing (and probably a lot more *able*) to reach under in the trot.

With RP the difference is more noticeable--he has more back movement in general than MM. He used to get tight in the back easily, and now almost never does. And he's connecting into the bit really honestly now. Another interesting thing is that I can feel him a lot better in the saddle too. it's a lot more of a close contact feel and so I can feel even slight crookedness--which is helping me ride him better.

SF--those tracings are very cool to see! I love that your fitter has tracked over the years on the same piece of paper, a really useful thing to see!

khall

Postby khall » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 pm

Blob yes please PM me! I’m in Georgia too. Just south of Macon. Would love to learn more about it. All of mine go in a hoop tree Joplin right now though is wider. So cool how much both of your horses changed. MM is just beautiful. Love her conformation.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:26 pm

Gosh, the pictures and transformations of everyone's horses has been amazing. Thank you to each one who has been generous enough to share.

It's turned disgustingly hot again. Yesterday after I got done working the horses, we threw the dogs in the my car and took off for higher ground. Looked at some more horse property at the higher elevations for perhaps next year if this extreme heat continues for years to come.

So Brandon has now worn dressage clothes, western clothes, been laid over and had a foot placed in one stirrup and introduced to long lines (yesterday). He's really coming along well and with such a great mind. It comes with no surprise to discover that he's a complete clown.

Junior also is really coming along despite the short working sessions due to the heat. This didn't seem appropriate to put in the thread/post on flying changes because I definitely do not have a problem with him running through the FC (nor any of my previous horses). I have found with him that over the last several weeks by setting him up with lots of exercises to focus on purity and quality of the canter, straightness and many correct simple changes that the FCs have been easier to teach this time around (the fourth generation). The preparation seems to really be paying off though I won't be able to confirm it until my next lesson. Asking for one correct FC in each direction and then putting the topic to bed, I really do think has encouraged Junior's efforts to 'master it' so that the next time is even easier and better. I do not work on FC each and every ride. I've really tried hard to make the FC a 'non' event. It's truthfully asking for a canter depart, just the other lead. It seems that Junior is understanding of that concept.

It's interesting now that I have Brandon to compare the two. It's clear that Brandon is very athletic. He's nimble on his feet, bred for jumping and is more cat-hipped like a few of my thoroughbreds back in the day of hunter/jumpers. He's not filled out but you can tell he's going to be more maneuverable (or too much) than Junior. He also has better gaits (all three but especially the walk) than Junior. It's the canter due to his hind end and sheer power that allows Junior to be 'gifted' at the flying change compared to his predecessors (sire, uncle, etc). He's a classic example of one who's 'elasticity' is born out of his ability to collect. It's still tough to get him to really lengthen his whole body coming over his top line. I can get him to come through and work over his back but he still 'holds his tension and power' in his core. I'm hoping that as we do more HP in canter and find more exercises to mobilize the shoulders this will improve. Now that he's really understanding the half-steps and piaffe in hand (did half-steps under saddle and about 4 piaffe steps yesterday) I'm going to bite the bullet and see if spanish walk will help in mobilizing the shoulders. I didn't want to teach him that before the half-steps because he's already such a 'clever clown' that my concern is what he might do with his 'new trick'. I feel, though, watching and comparing the two that it will be the only way to really get Junior to 'let go where I need him to' and really use his body better. As always, only time will tell.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:05 pm

exvet, it's interesting, I think Spanish walk might help Kimba with shoulder mobility but I have never taught it so it's possibly a bad idea for me to start now

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:22 pm

Chisamba, I have only taught it to two other horses, one being the stinker pony. I do think it helps to a point; but, it can also back fire. I find it one of the easier concepts to teach; and I learned basically from video and books. Of course I'm using the end result to measure things against and can only say as to the process that I'm mimicking what I've learned (not always does that translate into the correct way to do things).

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:51 pm

Well, we got hit by literal gale-force winds (gusts to 70mph) last evening with strong winds 30-40mph most of the day so no Labor Day riding. ;) The wind even carried an open hay bale 10-15 and scattered it about!

Up until then I did get quite a few rides in despite the heat and other obligations. Sometime last week, Rudy was going really nicely until I asked for hp to the left in the trot. He would not take the right rein and he would not bend, move sideways and trot! Eventually, I got a decent approximation of one, changed rein, cantered and, because he felt so solid and straight, I asked for hp to the right from canter. It was his best one ever, so free in the shoulder, so forward, so everything. Still a little puzzled about what I might be doing wrong the other direction, I quit working him, took him down the road and got on Tio. Tio was also a little resistant to taking the right rein, but not unusual for him. He straightened up after jumping a few crossrails and all was good. Still, I was worried...maybe I'm getting crooked? Next morning, Rudy comes in from the south pasture minus his left shoe, and while he still needs a new shoe, he has been totally fine with hp left since. Shoe must've been tweaking him!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:41 pm

exvet wrote:Chisamba, I have only taught it to two other horses, one being the stinker pony. I do think it helps to a point; but, it can also back fire. I find it one of the easier concepts to teach; and I learned basically from video and books. Of course I'm using the end result to measure things against and can only say as to the process that I'm mimicking what I've learned (not always does that translate into the correct way to do things).

so I YouTubed a few videos and they went from touching the leg to get it to barely lift to gigantic high shoulder lifts with no in-between lol . i f did a bit of shoulder touching today

khall

Postby khall » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:52 pm

Chisamba I find that the SW is fairly easy to train. I have all 3 of my playing with it and Rip has it pretty well established. I’ve watched Mark Cedar and Karen Rohlf train it. I have used something from them all. KR teaches one keg then the other only to lift and fold and hold that position to change the horse’s balance. She will work one side ask for the fold and hold them walk forward 4 steps repeat same side then switch

To get the step out as the horse comes up to almost highest fold and hold ask them to step forward with the rein. So you get the up and out. Again work one side then the other until established before putting it together. Rip put it together himself. While he shows strength and ROM he lacks fluidity. Joplin has both but I’m doing more one side then the other still with her. Gaila still wants to fold and does not show as much elevation as Rip does.

I do sometimes get SW when asking for piaffe with Rip. Joplin loves SW and I have to be careful with her but it’s no big deal to me if she offers when I don’t ask I just ignore it. She’s very fancy up front

I’ll get video to share. It’s fun for the horses and I’m using it to help with Rip in passage.

If you saw the pic I shared of Rip that is how he has to be up and way open to do SW. Cedar said as he gains suppleness he will come more together. Joplin does not have to be up like that. She’s got incredible ROM in her shoulders. Gaila is lower than Rip

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:20 am

It's been nuts here in Utah today. We went from upper 80s yesterday evening to ice cold, snow and hurricane force winds this morning. Roof ripped off part of the barn, downed trees, just chaos. So, after a very nice ride yesterday, no riding today! We will see what tomorrow brings, but it's not looking a whole lot better, and a hard freeze both tonight and tomorrow, so even if the bangy bits of roof have been battened down, it all sounds a bit more excitement-making than I feel the need to deal with.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:40 am

Wow, good luck with the stormy weather there in Idaho and Utah, sudden changes like that are hard for horses and humans to deal with! For us (other hemisphere) it is coming into spring and we had (for us) a chilly windy day today for my first ride in over a week. Connor's sound again - must have been an abscess, he got worse and worse, then overnight was good again.

Will add one more goal : introduce shoulder-in and haunches-in (in walk). We played with this today. I despair sometimes at my abilities to give a clear/correct aid. Happily my SO was watching and told me off for 'pulling on the inside rein' in my attempt to get the bend (doh, I know this is not how to proceed!), and once I focussed more on my seat/hips we got a much better result. To the left is easier than to the right...

Finished the ride with a walk around our place outside the arena, complete with a few spooks due to wind in the trees, but generally a nice ride out.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:23 am

Good to hear you are still here Mountaineer. My sister took all day to get to Kalispell, MT via SLC. She didn't get far ending up in Twin Falls for a while while the hurricane force winds went through SLC. Finally made it to SLC only to miss her connection. Then had to sit in SLC until almost 6PM. She finally made it to Kalispell at 8:30pm. That is a long day.

I went out last night to check this old spindly, elm tree that is not on the BO's property but right behind Kyra's pen. It has regularly shed branches in other wind storms and the wind was out of the dead North...not the usual direction. Amazlingly, it held together through this go-round. Kyra has been dry lotted all summer and I did not want her eating (gorging) on leaves off a downed tree, not to mention that if it came down, it would be on the fence. This morning after our lunge session, Kyra and I wandered over toward the BO's house to see what the damage was over there (I heard the chain saw going) and it wasn't bad. They have a lot of the elm trees and they do not do well in the wind. They had limbs down on the track and driveway but no whole trees. There was one gust while I was out checking for tree damage that I swear was a solid 50 mph. I had to get to the barn and walked upwind of all the trees in case something came down. Yikes. I came home to no power. It was only a big breaker that flipped but I live in a 55 plus community...we are all 421 S. Curtis then a unit number. Well the power company took it as one single dwelling address and put it way down the list :evil: . It finally came back on at almost 11pm (went out at 7:11).

I had my carpal tunnel release surgery last Thursday. The stitches are annoying and of course it is sore so I haven't tried riding although today, I felt I could hold the reins OK. I put a Tegaderm over the stitches and a glove over that and can keep things nice and clean. Where there is a will, there is a way ;) . Today, I did a lunge session instead and had her working rapid fire trot-canter transitions. I can be pretty handy with the line and the whip in one hand :lol: . The other day, I put her in the round pen so I didn't have to hold on to her. I will probably try to ride Thursday as we are visiting a saddle fitter on Sunday so I probably should try to ride at least once before then. Kyra isn't the problem in saddle fitting...it is me and my tender butt :P .
I am going to try the Prestige X-breath that has a hole in the seat where the tailbone is. I tried one 4 years ago before my tailbone surgery and besides her demo being only a 17 (I fit in it but boy it was tight), it wasn't comfortable back there despite the hole but at that size, the hole was not in the right spot. I was working remotely with that fitter and just decided to give up...I did find out why my TB was so sore and decided to wait on a saddle in case I wouldn't be able to ride again. I would like to try that one again since the nasty bone spur causing all those problems is gone and this lady has an 18 for her demo. She might have something else too.
Stitches in the hand come out next Monday so I hope to get back to regular riding. This week is crazy anyway. My sister is OOT and I have to go over to her house to feed her cats daily, help Mom daily and I have to work Friday. Work is getting less attractive all the time (especially since the shifts changed from 8hr to 10hrs...boo. I actually "retired" last year but am working PRN...as needed. I am finding I don't need it as much as I think I did ;) .

Exvet...I have noticed better shoulder mobility with Kyra since starting training the SW. She can be pretty limited in the shoulder and I spoke to someone that had a half sister that she had trained to FEI levels and she said she was limited also until she got to piaffe and passage then she got looser. Kyra is very handy with her right front and not so much with the left front. She is starting to get height now if I could get her to hold it up for a couple seconds. We are still getting some stomping and pawing. We have been at it (maybe 3 days/week) since April.

Everyone's pictures look great. That is really pretty dramatic change in muscling in both your horses, blob.

Happy riding all.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:58 pm

Finally had a lesson today. It was an interesting one because my instructor had me up the ante on the contact requirement and not only was Junior able to answer he got a bit jazzy. So....as many of you can probably guess, the more collection and steady contact/through into the bridle that was required, the more piaffe Junior tried to throw in here and there......LOL. I was starting to get a little worried before today because Junior seemed to be getting the idea of piaffe and yet he wasn't anticipating or giving it to me when I didn't want it. I usually have had horses do this in the past; so, in a way it was a relief to know that Junior is following in the steps of others but boy I have to admit I was impressed at what I saw in the mirror. Now, of course, the mission became getting him to realize that we must go between collection and forward easily, without drama and it's perfectly normal. Much of the lesson was about going back and forth with him not coming out of the bridle at any time. We also did our flying changes. Fortunately we did get the thumbs up on our work and that they were clean; so, at least to this point we seem to be progressing forward and not making too many mistakes. What I also confirmed were my suspicions that our issues still are - keeping true connection through the right rein at all times and not getting an overreaction when I take it at any time. So I still have my work cut out for me but it's nice to know that what work we did on our own got the seal of approval.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Kyra's mom I didn't have bad carpal tunnel, but had the surgery on one hand, and it was the best thing I've ever done. I did the other right away. My surgeon said there is nothing you can do to hurt it, so the more you use it and rub on it, the better. Be super aggressive with rubbing out those hard scars on your palm.

Man. I am in a weird place. It's orange here at noon, like on Mars. The smoke is so bad from the fires. Sunday I had "the" show that was finally not cancelled (after that happening twice) and I was going to get me GP score for freestyles and all of my first qualifying scores for next years' champs. It was supposed to be 110 degrees, but I was done at 11:20. I left the barn at 6:45 and got a mile before the drive train fell out of my truck, on a super narrow, windy road with traffic. I was super lucky to be able to coast to the other side of the road and get off. I was super lucky the BO picked up his phone and came right out with some help to pick up the trailer and horses even before AAA showed up for the truck, and super lucky my husband was around so I could get a ride. If the BO wasn't there, I would have had to walk the horses down that super narrow, windy road which people use as a freeway. Or I could have been on the freeway. Or I could have been on the freeway in 113 degree heat . . . I was super lucky.

Of course that is a lot of money down the drain. There is one more show option this year with a pretty hard scoring judge. I guess I should do that because if I'm doing a good job I should be able to get scores over 60, right? I think we could have done really well on Sunday because both girls are much better to ride when they are tired or super hot, so the weather would have played to their strengths, if not mine. I just want to get some rides and scores in before next year (no shows until Jan.) so I have a start and know I can ride the GP freestyle whenever I want.

I always ride two FEI rides because the horses are always better the second ride and it's SO expensive to show, it's only slightly more for two rides than one. If I have my qualifying scores for freestyles, instead of just two FEI regular classes, I can do one regular and one freestyle, which makes the whole problem of me going off course much less of a problem, because the freestyles are super easy to remember. Sigh.

I hope everyone is well. Besides all of this and the orange sky, just everything in the world and this corrupt leadership is making me SO anxious.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:02 pm

looks like many of us are dealing with weather complications--heat, fire/smoke, storms. Hoping everyone and their horses are staying safe.

Tanga--the pictures from out west look so eerie and I can only imagine how strange it must feel to be in that orange, ashy haze.

MM has been doing well. She's starting to carry herseful a lot more up and out. I need to remember not to soften her down. Sometimes when I ask for flexion, I also end up bringng her lower and so I need to find the place to ask for flexion while also asking for the upward/outward hh.

Work is picking up for me, which is not ideal for RP. I don't know if I've discussed it here before, but he's a horse that really struggles with time off--even one day! He is at his best when he gets some kind of work (even jsut walking) every day. And a day off can really derail him. With working picking up, I can't sustain riding him every day. And I"m not sure what the solve is, especially since it seems mental, rather than physical, though hard to tell for sure.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:00 pm

Well, not orange sky today, which is something. The bizzarro world of being in that is just going along with everything else. Ash is everywhere, though, and I'm not particularly close to fires. You have to wear an N95 mask outside or you get sick right away. They're saying through Saturday. I hope it's gone by then. Good thing is it's not hot. It's like a nuclear winter now. Sigh.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:34 pm

Bizarro world is a good description. We aren’t having fires or natural disasters here right now, but the weather is weird. 98 one day and 56 the next. And then all the covid weirdness...I had a dream the other night and it was “in zoom”. Everyone was framed. :shock: I kinda feel like I’m in a movie.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Tanga and I live in the same general area. I am a native Californian. 62 yo and I've never experienced anything like this. We're sheltered inside with our air purifier running non-stop. I'm starting to search for a second one since my eyes are burning inside but they are difficult to find. Riding seems so long ago. I have to live vicariously through everyone else's posts. But we are the lucky ones. Pray for Oregon. Pray for Washington. Pray for California.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:11 pm

Wild fires are one of the worst natural disasters imo. I hope and pray that all are contained soon. My thoughts are with all who are dealing with this issue right now.

On a lighter note, I mounted and dismounted Brandon today about 1/2 a dozen times and he was more focused on the treats in my daughter's hand than he was on anything I was doing. I just kept mounting and dismounting as my daughter said, "Well Mom, the quarters ran out about 5 minutes ago but he doesn't seem to care. His ears were on you the whole time; so, it's not like the treats fooled him." LOL......I still love the food motivated ones ;)

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:29 pm

goldhorse wrote:Tanga and I live in the same general area. I am a native Californian. 62 yo and I've never experienced anything like this. We're sheltered inside with our air purifier running non-stop. I'm starting to search for a second one since my eyes are burning inside but they are difficult to find. Riding seems so long ago. I have to live vicariously through everyone else's posts. But we are the lucky ones. Pray for Oregon. Pray for Washington. Pray for California.

Me, too. 56. NEVER been like this I don't go outside without an N95 mask on, and I still feel like crap. Both me and SO have red eyes just from the air. I do not have an air purifier. I need to get one after this. It's not getting better. It's worse. I stopped riding. I'm just checking on the horses, but I can only do so much with a mask on. Doing some shovel work in it wasn't the best idea. Now they're saying through the weekend. And, yes, we are the lucky ones. It's so much worse everywhere else.

If this isn't Mother Gaia screaming from the mountains, I don't know what is.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:09 am

The fires sound awful, and hard to imagine from this side of the world... but the pictures I see on the news are just terrifying. Good luck to you guys who are dealing with it.

exvet, Brandon sounds like a total dude!

I realised today the value of a good groundperson : we were struggling with SI right (in walk, just trying to get the idea across), setting up with a 10m volte, but quickly ending up with too much neck bend, not enough 'forward', just generally ugly and far from correct. So my SO who'd finished his ride came over. We halted next to the wall in roughly the correct angle, then he helped encourage the step forward/under while I tried to give a nice quiet correct aid. Wow, heaps better! Repeated 3 times, then called it a day.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:45 pm

I sm really missing the warm weather.

Kimba is progressing mostly in that she had become such a pleasure to ride. we are still working on fitting changes and improving bend and stride length in half pass. doing a little canter pirouette

Cali is improving his simple changes and shoulder in

Saiph, I am working on adjusting and flexibility and confidence in each other.

Ii twisted my knee at the mounting block just not parking attention so I'm gimpy

Return to “Dressage Training”