May only the leaves fall this Fall. September October training Bimester

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: May only the leaves fall this Fall. September October training Bimester

Postby blob » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Sounds like lots of great and exciting things happening! Shows, clinics, puss (haha)! And great to see videos and pictures of great work.

With some encouragement from SF, I signed up for the Ritter online course on flying changes. Even though MM has already been introduced, going back to basics to try to get clean changes confirmed seems like a smart idea. This is my first time doing an online riding course, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out and how useful I find it. If nothing else it will give me some structure over the next few months. This is especially valuable right now because i'm going on a month since my last lesson and it doesn't look like I will be able to have one for the next several weeks either.

RP is also doing well. I have been trying to introduce SI at the trot for him. He can do it well in the walk, but in the trot he has a hard time with it. Of course, only asking for shoulder-fore at this stage, but going right he kind of loses that inside right hind. So, still work in progress. And I'm actually thinking of adding in more pole work to help strengthen that right hind. some pictures for fun:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 7.45.14 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 7.45.14 PM.jpg (30.89 KiB) Viewed 9184 times
Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 11.42.20 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 11.42.20 AM.jpg (54.6 KiB) Viewed 9184 times

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:36 pm

I took last week completely off and went fishing up in the mountains with my dh. No cell service, scant radio access, it was heavenly to be without contact from home/work and to not hear the news. :P My ds is 18 now and a senior in hs, so wasn't too worried about him and my sis came up from Ca to take care of mom while I was gone. Got some great vid of an otter (there were actually 6 of them cavorting in the water!) that I'll post sometime in the OL.

Got home late Saturday afternoon, wind was howling and I had the camper to unpack and mom to check on, and so I didn't ride, just checked to see that ponies were still alive. Sunday, the saddle fitter came with my new saddle :D :D :D It fit Rudy "perfectly" and I could finally ride him with my legs hanging straight down under me. Omgosh, it was so great. Both horses were crazy high, but even when Rudy fully inverted to see what my friend's horses were up to, I did not get tossed around in the trot and he quickly came back to me. I am sooo happy (and relieved) that the saddle I ordered fit the way we had hoped. Now I just have to break it in a bit--not a problem at all!

Tio, who stood quietly and calmly waiting for his turn to be ridden, was completely insane on the lunge. So much so, that I didn't dare get on him. he can be such a twit sometimes. :roll:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:43 pm

I have been setting up pole gymnastics. I try a new one each week. my current set up is a pole to an x ( not crossrail, the poles set up in an x shape on the ground) to a pole. it can be used at all gaits in various configurations. ill sketch it out if anyone is interested

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:28 pm

RP is looking really good!

Chisamba, I would be interested in your pole exercise. Something I can use with both horses would be good.

After my clinic, I'm revising my goals to buckle down on the trot work for Annabelle. We really got her swinging over the back on Sunday, and I need to do more of that to build up her strength and impulsion, I think. My regular instructor pushes us on trot too, then I neglect it when I'm riding on my own because it's a lot of work to really get her trot where it needs to be. So. 5 weeks of trot boot camp!

Tesla grew roots last night, so we went back to "when I squeeze, you walk off." Babies.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:59 pm

I feel on the tree root babies Straightforward. I keep telling myself Kora is my last one, from now on only 6+ of age. I said that after my last young one too...

Thankfully the abscess burst and we are sound with a tight cold leg again. The heal bulb on the other hand looks like hell but I'm just cleaning it and waiting for it to repair I guess. I will not shock you all with photos, needless to say it's a bit ugly. Anyways I decided since she was sound that there is no reason to rest for the weary. Took a nice long hack out last night to celebrate the last day of summer. Kora oscillated between high alert and settled happy hacker so indeed Fall is here in New England.
summerday.jpg
summerday.jpg (114.44 KiB) Viewed 9113 times

I just had a panic thought that my trainer might not be able to come back for winter clinics once she goes down to Florida for the season. So even though we haven't had much time to work on homework I might try and swing a lesson on Saturday. I'll ask her what her thoughts are for winter I guess as much as anyone can plan for times like these.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:59 pm

Blob I almost signed up for that course! I should have but just slipped my mind this weekend. You’ll have to let us know how it’s goes

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:08 am

Kirbys keeper, after today's antics, I think I'm going to talk to the vet about Walker and Cushings when he comes out on Thursday. He was a borderline dangerous lunatic on the lead this afternoon, and there are some other indications... and he's 24...

Other than nearly getting my head kicked off this afternoon, we are just cruising along here, enjoying the stunning weather even though we desperately need rain.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:22 pm

its a rough sketch but hopefully you can make sense of it.

depending on degree of schooling I do it at all 3 gaits.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200923-081510_Samsung Notes_600x1029-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20200923-081510_Samsung Notes_600x1029-01.jpeg (73.9 KiB) Viewed 9073 times
Last edited by Chisamba on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:57 pm

khall wrote:Blob I almost signed up for that course! I should have but just slipped my mind this weekend. You’ll have to let us know how it’s goes

that would have been so fun! I will keep you posted. Just finishing up module 1 right now, which was a lot of basics. Nothing mindblowing, but still I thought rather useful because it was very, very specific and detailed.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:04 pm

Pictures of my brand new Trilogy. I have only ridden in it twice so far and have loved it both times. Rudy is still happy, so we'll see after a few more rides. Not sure about the pad, I have never ridden him in just a plain pad with no sheepskin...maybe tonight I'll try it with the beautiful pad Chisamba gave me and see how it fits that way too! Btw, you can see how smokey it is right now, we had a fire start in the hills south of our town about 10 days ago. AQ was 133 yesterday, so orange or unhealthy for sensitive groups.
20200922_185726 small saddle.jpg
I love how the tooling came out
20200922_185726 small saddle.jpg (35.49 KiB) Viewed 9030 times
20200922_185656 small Rudy and saddle.jpg
It definitely sits back off his shoulders now
20200922_185656 small Rudy and saddle.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 9030 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Lovely saddle Sue B.............boy do I hate the saddle search. Unfortunately Junior's really short back is making finding a used saddle that fits both of us darn near impossible. I decided to buy the Roosli because it comes closer to a decent fit for him (it's a 16.5 with the upswept panels) but the twist is really too wide for me. Fortunately, I suppose, I'm able to ride it in without being forced into a chair seat position. We worked on maintaining the counter canter yesterday and doing flying changes .....only....on.....request.....LOL. For the most part if I focused on keeping Junior in the outside rein and driving him forward I was able to prevent him from popping a FC and when I did ask we got a bit more jump in the change (in the right way LOL).

Here is a picture after our 4 mile trail ride just to make sure I can walk after getting out of the saddle. You can see neither of us are thrilled but it will do as I continue to search for something that is ideal, that I can afford too ;)

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:51 pm

Lots of great updates!

Dresseur - best of luck with the preparations for your FEI debut with Miro!

Sue B - beautiful saddle! Love the tooling. I am jealous lol.

Blob - Rip is looking very grown up. <3 <3 <3

Rye - that's a very nice canter shot of you and Riot. And congrats on the 2nd level scores! That's a big milestone. :)

Exvet - sounds like Junior is doing great and that he took to FCs like a fish to water! That's super.

Chisamba - I have enjoyed every single pic you've posted over the past few months.. you do such a great job developing and improving the horses you have.

Bliss and I are keeping on keeping on. He's become more rideable than ever once I realized that I don't need to tolerate him plonking around on the forehand and that if I just sit up, he will shift his balance accordingly. So we are having great rides. The flying changes are so much more organized now... Although we're not ready for tempis yet, I don't think it'll be much longer until we can start working on those. We are mostly consistently getting changes when I aid both ways along the rail, so that's very exciting.

I haven't video'd in a long time, but should be getting some soon and will share some pics at least. :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:57 am

Sue B, very pretty saddle! And nice scenery too. Exvet, lol at both your expressions but still a nice pic. I hate saddle searches. I just had Norsey's readjusted for him, but it's still a bit wide and feels like a stock saddle with it's knee rolls for me. But I'm not going to try and change it.

Blob, RP is looking good. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the course, I'm doing an online one too and while not everything applies, there are little snippets of info which have been helpful.

We've had some beautiful spring days here, I've been taking the horses out on my walks.. we are all a bit fat! I get a few comments from other people around (semi-residential type area) but I don't care, it makes it more fun.
We are back in winter this week though, with some snow around the higher areas.

IMG_5219.jpg
IMG_5219.jpg (92.16 KiB) Viewed 8956 times

Ding's dog lame right now, maybe an abscess?? Poor thing he is very sore with nothing obvious. I've poulticed and will wait a couple of days and see how he goes.

Norsey is going well, but improvements are slow. I've finally accepted that it is slow and not to stress about it anymore. He hasn't been easy but he seems pretty happy and relaxed now even when I ask him to do stuff that's hard for him. A while ago I put up some vid on FB with him doing some changes and it was probably coincidence but very soon after (like within hours) a few people started talking about making expressive changes and not settling for flat ones. I know Norsey's are flat, but holy sh#t, they were so hard to make!! For a good while there, I pretty much gave up on the idea of teaching him flying changes. Anyway, I got over myself and now have been playing with making them less flat. His underlying canter isn't great, so I think I can only try and make them more obvious. I am very happy with him in the respect that we can do flying changes wherever in the arena now, and they are clean and he isn't getting upset about them anymore.

What he really can't do is pirouettes. He gets this 4 beat weird canter happening and or leans over like a motorbike, so that's my next main thing to try and figure out how to get them to happen.

https://youtu.be/IWCfb2-mQy4

blob

Postby blob » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:43 am

Flight, so sorry to hear Ding is out. Hopefully it is an abscess that ruptures soon. They can be so painful! And 2020 seems to be the year of the abscess. I know so many horses that have gotten ones this year!

I am also so sorry that you got such a ridiculous reaction via facebook. I think you've done a great job teaching Norsey his changes. I remember when he used to be late behind and IF i remember correctly, when he was late behind he would show more expression up front? (MM is like this). And I think in order to get them clean and correct (which is a hell of a lot more important than SUPER EXPRESSIVE), it probably had to be flatter for awhile. My trainer has told me over and over again that if you look at most horses as they move up through the levels, their changes transform quite a bit as they move up the levels and the harder work, the more experience, the increased strength and balance from other work over time also naturally makes the changes more expressive as you continue to train up. HIs advice is focus on correct and clean, don't worry about the expression too much, it will come. That doesn't mean you shouldn't play with asking for more expression! But I wanted to pass his thinking along because I have found it reassuring not to worry about all the things at once.

I love Norsey's expression at the end of that video when you give him a long rein. He looks quite pleased with himself and happy in the work.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 pm

Thanks blob, that is good to hear. I think horses have to get the hang of something first and then you can try and make it look fancy, for all new movements they are learning. But I did think this was only because I'm a hobby rider and not really sure of what I'm doing, and this is the easiest way not to fall off :D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:32 am

Flight, my opinion is not going to give you fabulous scores, but obedient and relaxed should be the first goal. I remember your buck photos when you were training him changes and it's his to see that expressiveness gone. lol. what i see from a training perspective is that he really shortens his stride preparing for the charge so once you are really happy with his relaxation you can simply ask for a little more stride into the change. I am working on 1/4 pirouette at canter too. to help maintain canter rhythm i do a little shoulder in in canter then bring the shoulder around for an b extra stride to make the 1/4 turn. but only if the shoulder in is relaxed and regular.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:46 pm

Flight, fwiw, I think you're on the right track and screw those FB comments.

Exvet, I'm in change hell too right now. Andrea can get on and do lines of 3's and 2's easy - but she can control every stride of the canter. With me, the lack of control has come home to roost. We can do our warmup changes just fine, but once we get into it, he takes over. Interestingly, the tempis are mostly ok, because he's not quick enough to jump ahead of me for ones. Yet. lol. Once he figures out ones, if I don't have the set up controlled, I'll be up s#$@ creek. So, my homework is that I need to be able to adjust every aspect of the stride and he needs to wait for me, and I have to go all the way down to piri canter - not kind of sort of set up the change. Because what he's doing is stealing changes from me after piris and after extensions. I was gobsmacked when I was able to collect the counter canter in our regular work, but once we got into changes, no way in hell was he allowing me to collect the counter canter. BUT! The piaffe is coming, so there's that lol.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:09 pm

Chisamba and Dresseur I think you're both dead on because yesterday that was my focus, controlling every step of the canter, stride per stride and it worked. Not without a few bobbles of course because I am so weak on my right side and he's figured that out. Getting used to a 'new to me' saddle and managing the freight train is giving me some challenges but where Junior listened and waited for my aids the change was clean with a nice jump to the stride without being too expressive. It's a true juggling/balancing act right now because we're at that stage that Junior anticipates. I have to really control my frustration because I don't want to punish him for (and especially) a clean change, just at the wrong time. We're working on the forward and back in the canter and counter canter along with simple changes to help solidify my ability to adjust and control each phase of the canter stride. Yesterday we had clean changes after a few unwanted breaks in the counter canter (either fc or down to trot) so today we're going for a long trail ride and then I'm going to school tomorrow with NO flying changes.....we'll see if the approach works. I'm so pleased that to this point his brain isn't fried and his anticipation is a normal 'welsh cob' thing not an anxiety over the changes.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:23 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that the change happy horse is a part of the process when they start to get the idea of changes, so don't get too discouraged! Just quietly bring him back and restrike the lead if he jumpa ahead of you or breaks.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:12 pm

gosh, I would GLADLY trade any of you with change happy horses. I'm in the other kind of change hell where changes are prompt and obedient, but late behind. Not every time. but it's probably 75% late behind, 25% clean. And I just can't/haven't figured out waht makes the clean ones clean. if i knew what I was doing differently or what set up I was getting, or something I would work trying to get more of that. But almost seems random. Even my trainer does not know why some are clean and others are not. He also cannot get consistently clean ones--but he also is not riding her regularly, so it's not to say that he wouldn't be able to solve the problem over time. I'm starting to feel very, very discouraged. For awhile I thought we were making some progress or at least some greater understanding with the flatter canter approach. But now I can't seem to recreate that either. SIGH.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:19 pm

Blob, don’t despair. With me, Miro is still occasionally late. We’ve pinpointed it to the setup. I don’t get him to build volume in the canter stride and he stays that ever so slightly down in the shoulder, which enables him to push the shoulder over. So even though I have the right canter- meaning it’s straight and active, I don’t have that last 10% control that Andrea gets. I can’t feel it all the time, which is super frustrating.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:53 pm

chisamba - so push forward for a bigger change? I did have a clinician say hold for the actual change but maybe thats when you have more impulsion before the change?

Blob I had late changes for ages and I know you've had them for a bit too. It is really discouraging, but if my big boof head got the hang of it, yours certainly can. Can you video them and watch? I really had to not let the shoulder jump through first, and I had to work on a circle and think about getting him to only change behind. Renvers on a circle etc. Yes that made them crooked etc but the only way I fixed it was to make a really obvious difference in the way he was going.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:56 pm

Interested in Chisamba’s response, but from what I know, have been taught, yes- once the horse understands the mechanic, you push into a bigger (more volume) canter, which makes the changes more expressive.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:46 pm

yes, flight once the change is obedient simply ask for a slightly bigger canter. not ready with Kimba, but once Kea and Kaira had changes, I would do medium, collect, medium collect slightly less than medium , fchange, collect. I collect after the changes to avoid developing a passion for running away from the change.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:05 am

Blob, I've been feeling equally discouraged. For us, in one direction, the changes were clean most of the time, as long as I got the set up right. The other direction, not so much. So we've left them alone and are working on strengthening the hind end and improving symmetry and straightness.

I'm getting anxious to give them another go, but I think I'm going to put my trainer up and let her help him figure it out, rather than bumbling through it myself and making things worse.

He's got nice newly lubed hocks, and I can get back on him and back to work on Monday. Trainer is at Regionals next week, so maybe we'll have a bash at it the week after if I can get some consistent quality rides in between now and then. The canter is lovely and controlled and collected now with his hind end under him and our walk/canter transitions are prompt and clean in both directions, so I think it should be possible...

Sabine Shut-Kery clinic was very interesting, by the way. From her comments, she obviously has enviable body awareness and control, and I'm beginning to understand how that makes a difference between a reasonably competent rider and a really top-level rider.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:49 pm

Blob, I've certainly been where you are now and can definitely identify with the frustration. I'm very lucky that Junior has the canter that I bred for, simply for the hope and goal of an 'easier' time this go 'round. He is reasonably adjustable at the canter and though we still need work on it, the pieces have always been there. It will be interesting to see if Brandon has the same 'ease' with the changes when the time comes. He does them so effortlessly in turnout and is actually far more athletic than Junior; but, I also think he won't be as tuned into me.

Junior is all power and if I want more jump in the canter it's not hard to develop or get when I ask........sustaining that jump, well that's a fitness issue we'll have to work on but I saw long before the little turd kicked me in the face a few years back that his engine would take me places (and obviously send me places too......ran into the ER doc from that night not that long ago who recognized my name, not me, and he said as much).

Your determination will get you there eventually. I still have to work on myself and my ability to control each phase of the canter stride; and I'm hoping that Junior is the beast who will allow me to develop that skill. If he does then there is more hope for Brandon. The sad bit that I realize and face is that I didn't have it when I brought along Desert Moon Champignon (Monty) and it's most definitely a situation of 'if only I knew then what I know now' whenever I see him.......what we could have been (which is all on me)............ but despite that I will never forget or lose sight of how far we came and what we did accomplish when he was mine.

Each journey I've been gifted with my many beasts over the years has added skills to my bag of tricks............and I'm far from done learning or developing with my beasts. I know Junior and I will hit our own plateau to over come and it's that reflection of how far we've come that keeps us sustained. As I said, you'll get through this even if it's currently a mystery as to the 'how to'. Video taping your attempts and getting others (qualified trainers) to review those clips might give you some additional ideas and/or exercises that might help....just a thought.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:24 pm

More poles work for us, and baby fences. We are working on ridability and adjustability in the canter. We didn't quite hit this one right but he went when I asked (we had been getting in too close). I laughed when I saw this, he's so ridiculous. Overjumping just a smidge. :lol: He loves this stuff. And our canter work is getting better and better.
Attachments
616A16B3-D9DC-42CD-BC29-336829DD27AC - Edited.jpg
A little much, ya think?
616A16B3-D9DC-42CD-BC29-336829DD27AC - Edited.jpg (138.01 KiB) Viewed 8754 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:38 pm

That's funny Chantal. I saw the top of the photo and thought you had stepped up to oxers or something, then I scrolled down...

I jumped Annabelle on Saturday with the same goal of getting her more adjustable and handy with her feet. I put a placing pole about 7' out from the first little crossrail, then 10' to a bigger crossrail with the intent of trotting in and cantering out. She decided to canter in and cleared the placing pole and the first crossrail in one leap. The BO got a good laugh out of it, then we moved the placing pole out so she could just canter in.

Had an excellent lesson with my regular instructor this morning and she said there was a lot of improvement from when she saw us last month. Annabelle's SI has really improved in both directions, so she had me working on throughness by thinking of stretching her neck a bit down/out from the shoulder in the LY and SI. We also got our best canter work today. I need to go give the poor girl a bit of bodywork tonight because we are doing it all again tomorrow.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:21 am

We have jumped higher, but we are working on me, foot work, him thinking, and adjusting his stride. It's so big, I had a hard time doing anything with it until this past spring. He's fine with the bigger fences, but needs to respect the little ones too. Not quite this much though... :lol:

It's great to hear about you and Annabelle. Sounds familiar. Ground poles, whoa, not supposed to leap over those either?? :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:02 am

A few video grabs from today's lesson. Just after doing a leg yield my instructor proclaimed "perfect" I realized I hadn't hit the record button on the SoloShot tag. I guess I will just have to take her word for it. It's interesting watching just how unsteady Annabelle is in the connection, which actually feels fairly good, with the occasional bobble. More to work on, and I can see I'm giving my upper body away. There are moments where my position looks good, but then I let my shoulders roll forward or give my torso away. As is fit enough now that I need to stay engaged and not tip into a light seat at the drop of a hat, or throw away the connection as a peace offering for the canter transition.

Shoulder-in:

Suddenly she's getting a neck and more carrying muscles in the butt:

A little too much neck bend here, but getting better about bringing the shoulders around, and staying through.
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:06 am

Flight, your (lovely) photo doesn't look very residential to me! I do the same thing sometimes, take the horse for a walk, it's good exercise for me, and good 'bonding' time away from the rest of the herd.

SF - you and Annabelle are looking super!

And loving everyone else's updates, even though I have no experience of flying changes, I love the discussion.

Not much progress for the last couple of weeks, it's been raining, then I was away for a week (visiting Mum, hi Mum, I'm sure you are reading :-) ), and last night it snowed. The most snow we've had in about 5 years (about 10cm / 4 inches), and very late in spring for us. Hoping to get some rides in later this week...

This is Connor, eating his breakfast this morning:

connor-breakfast.jpg
connor-breakfast.jpg (101.46 KiB) Viewed 8727 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:23 am

Thanks Chisamba, I will play around with that for Norsey's changes.
Chantal, he looks like he's loving that!
SF, Annabelle is muscling up well. She looks great.

I love the snow Anne, those trees look so pretty. We had the same spring cold snap, it snowed around the general area on the hills. Doesn't last long and it's not a huge amount, but it's very nice to see.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Wow! Some great looking red heads! Love the pictures and the muscle development (on all). Thank you for sharing.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:03 pm

I'm newer around here. I lost my 4 year old TB to Wobblers recently. I'm slowly starting to horse shop. To get back into shape some family and friends have offered their horses to ride.

I have Elher danlos Syndrome which translates to parts of me being too loose and weak (shoulders and ankles) and other parts stiff and incredibly tight (back, neck, hips, hamstrings.) I'm fairly used to adapting but I'm definitely working hard on my fitness and position.

Two horses I'm riding are both hard to get actually through and connected. I'm firstly trying to check that I'm not adding to their struggles with my own position issues. But both have a large under neck muscle so I know this isn't new to them. One is an Arabian. He has an old stifle issue so can be a bit uneven. He really likes to counterbend. I'm mostly just trying to get him even in his rhythm and more supple! Using lots of figure eights, leg yields and spirals. Suggestions are so welcome! He's tough for me!

The other one is a QH who has had back issues but owner is finally managing that fairly well. He also has that large underside of his neck. He tends to want to lean down on the contact so I have to watch that. Lots of transitions with him! And as with the other horse, leg yields, figure eights and such are a big focus.

Any time in the saddle will help me so I'm grateful for the rides even if they are a bit of a challenge. The Arabian is more of an endurance horse and the QH is a jumper/low level eventer.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:05 pm

You all inspire me! You guys are so dedicated and detailed with your training, I really enjoy reading. And the photos and videos are just lovely.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Anne, nothing like a lovely springtime snow, eh? :lol:

SF, Annabelle looks amazing! To think that last year we were all jingling for her to be rideable again!

Flight, love your Norsey video and, of course, your pictures. Great job on cleaning up those fc's

Chantal, lovely picture jumping.

Got the ponies new shoes yesterday but didn't have time to ride...oh well. Sunday each horse got to go for a nice long ride out after working in the arena so that was fun. Both of them were very good in and out of the arena and I am still over the moon about my new saddle. I simply cannot express how much easier it is to ride Rudy when I'm not constantly fighting for position. Also, it seems, Rudy finds it way easier to carry and listen to me when I'm not fighting for position. :P Now all I have to do is just sit up and ride! I am looking forward to re-addressing fc's now that hp's in the canter are freely flowing both directions. I'm just trying to be patient while I break this saddle in so that I don't ask for too much too soon. T Blob and Moutaineer, I share your frustration, but I have every confidence these struggles are just a bump in the road.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:41 pm

So, my last ride was incredibly eye opening. I went into it thinking about the setup and making sure that I could collect him to any degree I wanted to and as long or as little as I wanted to. At first, he was game, and then I started asking for single changes, and he blew me off big time. At first, he tried to jump ahead of me, so I would stop and re-strike the original lead and ask again for the collection. When he realized what was going on, then he started dropping out from under me and cantering in a tea-cup. Great party trick, but not in front of my leg. When I called him on that, you could see a tornado form above his ears lol. But, ALL of my changes that I ASKED FOR were clean. So, this I can fix... and this pleases me.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:34 am

Sue B wrote:SF, Annabelle looks amazing! To think that last year we were all jingling for her to be rideable again!

Right? It has been a rollercoaster year. Last September is when I started tack-walking her. We had another good lesson today. I need to review the video tonight, but

And after, I rode Tesla in the outdoor while the horses were turned out for the first time. I get a little insecure riding her in the outdoor because it's large and there are jumps and things stored around in the corners, so I'm proud of myself for riding her boldly out there today, and we even got our first real canter steps. I took the 4-5 strides up the long side and decided to call it good for the day. She already looks so nice and balanced when she's going easily forward, just need to work on getting there without the little arguments at the beginning of the ride.

https://youtu.be/7BTLXevQG2k
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Here are pictures of me riding. I had ds snap a few while warming up.
Attachments
20200929_182643 (2).jpg
20200929_182643 (2).jpg (59.24 KiB) Viewed 8616 times
20200929_182635.jpg
20200929_182635.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 8616 times

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:02 pm

looking good everyone!

Hot4Spots
Herd Member

Postby Hot4Spots » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:02 am

Well, had the vet out today (she was already coming for another boarder) and it appears that the reason Mark has been mouth/bend fussy turning to the left is that he is sore in the TMJ. She said that it could be injected, but she recommended using Surpass first, so I've ordered some and should have it in 3-5 days. In the meantime, HUS type contact. She also said he might have a little arthritis low in his neck, but that was probably less of a factor. it's a "whatever" sort of thing: I will do whatever is necessary to.keep him comfortable. It's not as if he were ever going to truly show again, so if we have to play HUS from now on, that's fine. He's really been enjoying being able to canter a bit. We're up to twice around the arena in each direction.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:39 am

I hope Mark feels better, Sandy.

OK, folks. I can't make up my mind. There's one more show on the 24th/25th. I WAS planning on just getting my first qualifying scores for the champs next year a couple of weeks ago when it was 110 degrees, but my drive train fell out of the truck. So. Truck (Suburban--3 speed with a granny low)is repaired and everyone says KEEP it and FIX it, because at 42 years old it's a classic, and it can haul four horses.

So, assuming the air doesn't become unbreathable again, which IS a possibility (the show now has a plan on what do for this now it's been such a mess this year) I'm back on forth on showing. The judge is definitely on lower scoring judge, but, having seen the scores of the other people I'm competing with, I think I can easily get over 60%. I'm riding both girls doing all of the work in a snaffle, so am really confident in Quinn doing much better in the PSG and I-1. I am not worried about Quilla being able to do I-2 and GP, just me remember both tests. I was going to ask to ride the GP first, so at least I can remember it and can scratch the I-2 if need be.

Otherwise, really, the next show is Jan. which could be rain (or hot!) but definitely not as fun to show with the shorter days. I want to get Quilla's GP score so I can start riding the freestyle with one of the tests, which is much easier on me and both horses. (I'm still awaiting the first results on my made just for me music. He did post one he did for a guy in Spain where the horse looked almost exactly like Quilla, and interestingly, his whole canter segment was pretty much exactly what I sent the guy to put music to. The music fit, but I don't know if I loved it.)

Should I show in three weeks, or just wait until Jan?

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Tanga, it kind of sounds like you've already talked yourself into the upcoming show. If It were me and I still was on campaign mode (meaning horse showing for specific goals like yours) I'd go.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Hot4Spots wrote:Well, had the vet out today (she was already coming for another boarder) and it appears that the reason Mark has been mouth/bend fussy turning to the left is that he is sore in the TMJ. She said that it could be injected, but she recommended using Surpass first, so I've ordered some and should have it in 3-5 days. In the meantime, HUS type contact. She also said he might have a little arthritis low in his neck, but that was probably less of a factor. it's a "whatever" sort of thing: I will do whatever is necessary to.keep him comfortable. It's not as if he were ever going to truly show again, so if we have to play HUS from now on, that's fine. He's really been enjoying being able to canter a bit. We're up to twice around the arena in each direction.

massage and accupuncture are quite helpful for TMJ issues. Is he sore due to muscle tension or is there damage to the actual joint?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm

I'd do the show, Tanga, you never know. I thought I would do crappy and I ended up doing awesome :) but it sounds like a lot of complications due to travel and fires.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:00 pm

I'd do it Tanga... that's why we're trying for the I1 even though the tempis with me are still hit or miss (but steadily improving now that I have this set up thing on my radar.)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Tanga, I'd encourage you to just do the show. Life is uncertain! If you have a healthy horse, you're fairly ready and the air quality its okay, go for it! Plus the Suburban has recovered :-)

I'm appreciating the wide range of updates and the great photos. Sue, is that your new saddle? Looking good.

Emi had an ER moment last week when she fractured a molar and sliced her tongue. I happened to show up at the barn when she was dripping blood out of her mouth :-0 Post dentist exam and X-rays, it looks like she can keep that molar with xtra management. In the mean time, I've switched to a bitless bridle to give her tongue healing time. I've got to say that she loves it and it is easier for me to get her neck appropriately long at all gaits with this tool than a normal bridle...It is not the same as riding with a bit, but with a trained horse you can do a lot I'm realizing.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Thanks, guys. It helps me some. I need some motivation. It's just been such a year of EVERYTHING getting cancelled.

It doesn't help me I woke up to an orange sun from the bad air quality. Sigh. But, I have three weeks. OK, it's going to be ALL your faults! :)

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:47 pm

Well, Miro had his flu/rhino on Wednesday, and today he presented with a slight fever, and moderate pitting edema from fetlock down in both hinds, a bit of weird swelling at front of right hock, and mild edema in both fronts from fetlock down. I'm praying it's just a reaction to the shot.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:17 am

Dresseur I’ve had several horses react horribly to the rhino vaccine. Rip and Gaila ran high fevers December 2018 for 3-4 days. I’ve had them run just fevers I had one no fever but stocked up all 4 legs and was ataxic.

I hope Miro bounces back quickly.

SF Tesla looks fabulous! I hate to say it I’m not sure that testing will ever completely go away. That is one of the biggest reasons I went to the Iberians. Joplin just does not do that testing.

Return to “Dressage Training”