Spanish Walk work

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Spanish Walk work

Postby khall » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Spanish walk is not something I historically have worked on but had seen Mark work with a couple and then when I found Cedar she teaches it to all of the horses she works with. So she got me started working with Rip in it then this year I started both Joplin and Gaila with it. They both picked it up quickly though are not confirmed yet. Joplin has way more ability than either Rip or Gaila. She will be more fluid in the movement.

Here is Joplin with it

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... KY4OkaQjyt

I’ll get video of Gaila and Rip to share as well. Gaila I should be able to show how I’m starting to ask her to step out now to extend the leg. She prefers to fold and hold. Rip is just fancy with a very expressive front leg.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Spanish Walk work

Postby Tanga » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:54 pm

That's great! I think it's a great idea.

When the saddle maker who helped me with the saddle suggested stretching them to teach them to get their shoulders up more, and the eventer at the barn had trained her horse for fun, that got me started on it. Quilla is a star at it and I think it really helped her p/p. Quinn needs more work on it, which shows how good it is.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:57 am

Here is Rip with SW. sorry it’s upside down for some reason!

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... xj8GvDjnhl

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:11 am

Very Nice!

I follow Cedar on Facebook, she does a great job.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:15 am

I've taught my 2 SW as well, and because I'm curious about using it for passage I've been working on Ding's. I'll add some vid later too.
I have seen on a Valenca video, how they incorporate a jambette with trot to get to a passage but I haven't really seen it anywhere else.

Cool vids!

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:56 am

Ding's SW - it took a little bit to convince him to walk and wave his front legs. I guess now to keep working on having an engaged SW?

https://youtu.be/bbDIEGi8V0s

khall

Postby khall » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:48 am

Hey Flight. Yeah it’s the fluidity of the movement that is hard to get. Trying to keep the horse stepping and raising the legs is hard. They tend to diagnolize in the SW. it takes so much strength and coordination to get a clean SW.

I saw that video as well that the Valenca’s did on passage which is why I started playing with Rip in the trot asking for expression with the front legs. He’s getting it a bit. Passage can really help them with their trot in general and medium trot especially so I figured it was worth delving into.

I’ll try to get some video of Rip US in SW and Gaila with her beginnings of it. She is very different than Rip and Joplin

Got a bit of explosion with Rip and piaffe in hand today. Sigh he is such a tough customer glad I didn’t get nailed he tried. Right now I’m finding the piaffe is easiest with me driving him with one rein. He’s taking that pressure the best.

Return to “Dressage Training”