"on the bit"

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

"on the bit"

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm

so there are times i will ask my students to keep the horse in the bit, but ahead of the vertical.

I had a new student come in and when I asked for her to put the horse on the bit but keep the poll high and nose slightly ahead of the vertical she told me it was impossible. on the bit means on the vertical.

I didn't argue, I said ok, keep the horse connected through the back but ahead of the vertical. This too is apparently not possible.

so, is it impossible to be " on the bit" and ahead of the vertical. or connected through the back and ahead of the vertical.

I have a feeling that was a one and done lesson lol.

exvet

Re: "on the bit"

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:30 pm

No it's not impossible and what I seek to achieve in all gaits with perhaps being closer to being 'on the vertical' in the rein back but still with an essence of in front of and poll high.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:48 pm

We discussed previously on UDBB the difference in anatomical points (ie where the nose is- on the vertical/behind the vertical) vs the contact/aids/bit (horse is pushing into the hand). I think people can confuse the two but they are not the same.

A horse can be behind the vertical but on the bit (not always, sometimes they are just false/ducking behind).
A horse should have the nose slightly out and be on the bit- the push over the topline.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:29 am

Is there a difference between a horse that is connected or through and a horse that is on the bit? My understanding is no. A horse can be on the bit and be on, in front, or behind the vertical. He cannot be behind the bit (ducking from contact) or above the bit (fighting contact). His poll can be lowered or raised, just like his frame can be lengthened or shortened.

Imho, a horse doing a correct stretch trot (stretching into contact, not on a loose rein) is also on the bit--his frame has simply been adjusted.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:36 pm

blob wrote:I

Imho, a horse doing a correct stretch trot (stretching into contact, not on a loose rein) is also on the bit--his frame has simply been adjusted.

yes. This is independent of posture.

Look at the rest of the horse- how does the sternum look? the croup? the back?

Some horses also have an easier time going with the poll the highest point, though it should always be the aim and goal.

Return to “Dressage Training”