Horse shopping, how did you know what you want?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Horse shopping, how did you know what you want?

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Ryeissa, yep, not normal. Not even in a "he's forward type way" which I wouldn't say he was. He was a ball of nerves.

Interestingly I wasn't that nervous. I used to ride some pretty hot horses for people and I think it desensitized me a bit. But they didn't do the blind panic bolt. I could see dealing with it regularly shaking my confidence though.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:42 pm

Funny is part is she at first described him as a push ride. Now he was behind the leg for sure! But not what I consider a push ride at all. I think the two sellers got their descriptions mixed up.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:45 pm

Wow, it sounds like they shouldn't even be putting prospective riders on the second horse, and need to get him with a pro that can sort out his anxiety. :( There are lots of buyers out there who overestimate their skills, and getting on a horse like that would be a recipe for disaster.

I hope your next shopping trip gets you closer to finding the right one!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:51 pm

Straightforward, I know. I usually send sellers a little video of me riding so they can kind of see where I'm at in my ability or fitness or whatever. Because of stuff like that! But yes someone could really get hurt.

The first bolt I was pretty sure I wasn't buying him (I feel like the red flags were adding up and painting the picture) but I was like clearly I did use too much leg. I really did like how off the seat he was for the canter depart. But then when he bolted again in the canter because I very lightly asked for a little bend? Yeah I was over it. She told me when I cantering that he also gets really nervous in the downward transition to trot. So. Much. Baggage.

I will find the one! I'm definitely really getting a very solid idea about what I want and don't want in a horse.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:20 pm

That poor guy. He sounds like he needs a really confident, unflappable, kind rider. Or no one, and retire him now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:35 pm

Heddylamar yeah. He was only 4 years old. It felt like he needed be restarted completely.

Or makes me wonder about something physical like kissing spines or something.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:47 pm

Wait! How did I not see this? So was this the TB or another horse? That TB didn't look like the bolty kind, which I agree sounds like a terrible idea. Did you ever go and do a second ride on the Andalusion?

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:51 pm

I ended up with one that could pass as a double for the last one. Very funny. She is her own horse in her own right but I get 'glimpses' of my last mare constantly.
I thought I was getting a diamond in the rough, and I did, she's a real gem who just needs some undoing. I managed to contact the previous owner who originally started her, so have a bunch of history, and they did a LOT more than I thought.
Teeth have been done and she was instantly better. Saddle fitter this weekend, I remember why I hate that task so much now that I have a horse of a totally different shape to anything I've ever had before.

I set my good-horse-buying vibes free to the next deserving rider, and merely ask for good saddle fitting vibes in return, haha!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Tanga, not the TB! He turned out to be out of this world a push ride. I know some can work with that but honestly he just unfortunately wasn't my type of ride. I'm sure with rides he'd sharpen up but I just felt temperament wise he'd never be the type for me. Darn it.

My vet told me to pass on the Andalusian due to too many conformation issues.

The bolter was a little appendix, coming five. He looked a little nervous in the videos and I guess that proved to be accurate!! So the search is still on!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Silk, I definitely will trade you good saddle fitting vibes for good horse shopping vibes. We need all the positive thoughts we can get!

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 pm

I did a quick Dreamhorse search of horses in CO just to give you a little food for thought on some horses I spotted -- I'm only going to look at QHs since that's my area, just to provide a little insight, and I gotta post this in 2 parts since apparently the board limits URLs.

Sorrel filly - https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2181292.html

This one is turning 3 so might be too young for you and super green, but I REALLY like her pedigree. Smart Little Lena, Freckles Playboy and Playgun (who is himself a son of Freckles Playboy) are all huge plusses in my book. I am a HUGE fan of Freckles Playboy, he was pretty talented but more important gave his foals a super kind temperament, so they crossed them on the hotter super performing horses to produce a nice mix. This little horse has two doses of that, and also has a strong dam line - her third dam produced one of the nicest most versatile performance horses I've known in the past decade. And these bloodlines would likely give you adequate dressage movement. Like I'd go look at this one myself if I were in the market/in the area.

Palomino mare - https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2186180.html

I'd look at this one because it's within range of your budget if they would negotiate. I've noticed the Rowdy Yankees as particularly good dressage movers (as far as that goes in the QH world), although I'm not familiar with their long term soundness. Her sire is also a grandson of Hollywood Dun It, who was not only a legendary performer and sire, but also remarkably kind and people oriented, as are his progeny. Her dam has Grays Starlight -- another really talented line along with Lenas Wright On, who is a little tougher but also very sound. So this might be a perfect combination of enough of the movement you want plus kind plus sound.

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:08 pm

OK here's the other 2 -

Bay mare - https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2182700.html

If you wanted something sound, this pedigree is probably it, but solely based on bloodlines, I doubt this horse would be a great dressage mover and would probably be limited to pretty low level dressage. But the Paddys Irish Whiskey is all bone and sensibility, and the bottom side, Mr Sun O Lena and Continental Fly and Happy Hancock is all classic ranch/rope blood. Those horses will move out when you ask, but they're gonna be practical about it and they're going to last forever.

Sorrel mare - https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2180480.html

Here's one that I think is interesting. When I first looked at this horse, I said yes please, you can see she's pretty balanced and might be worth looking at. But her pedigree is a 100% no for me, personally. Her sire is a racehorse - I'm OK with that. The racing QHs can sometimes be downhill, but they typically they are a combination of kind + hot if that is what appeals to you and can have really powerful canters if you're willing to put the time into them to teach them to move more dressage like. But this mare's dam is from halter horse lines (sire is Kid Clu), and that's an auto stop for me. I did that once myself (a cow horse/halter horse cross) and won't make the mistake again and would recommend against it. Not only is she likely not going to have the movement, but my personal experience with halter lines is they don't hold up soundness wise.

Anyway, wishing you good luck shopping!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:27 am

In all fairness, I haven’t followed this thread in its entirety to know exactly what you’ve tried and didn’t like and what you want.
But I’m all about the Friesian crosses and someone needs this girl. :lol:

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2183710.html

She’s super young but appears to have a good mind. She’s clearly been started with natural horsemanship, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I do wish they weren’t riding her yet, BUT I understand much of the world still starts 2 year olds and there was a time I didn’t know any better either.
I wish they’d done some free lunging with the video, as I feel like the rider in the video got in her way quite a bit.
But all in all, to me she looks ready to be taken in whatever direction someone wanted. Great manners and basics to build on. Plus since she’s young she isn’t done growing and I’m convinced will come into her own, especially once someone starts to being her round and build her back and topline.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:54 am

PhoenixRising wrote:In all fairness, I haven’t followed this thread in its entirety to know exactly what you’ve tried and didn’t like and what you want.
But I’m all about the Friesian crosses and someone needs this girl. :lol:

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2183710.html

She’s super young but appears to have a good mind. She’s clearly been started with natural horsemanship, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I do wish they weren’t riding her yet, BUT I understand much of the world still starts 2 year olds and there was a time I didn’t know any better either.
I wish they’d done some free lunging with the video, as I feel like the rider in the video got in her way quite a bit.
But all in all, to me she looks ready to be taken in whatever direction someone wanted. Great manners and basics to build on. Plus since she’s young she isn’t done growing and I’m convinced will come into her own, especially once someone starts to being her round and build her back and topline.

She is cute but definitely looks like a puusshhhh ride.

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:55 pm

At this stage it is hard to know how much of a push ride she will be. I thought my horse was going to be a push ride. In fact another buyer passed on him because she couldn't get him forward! Once I got him home and allowed him to go forward, he was quite, um, enthusiastic. (Actually I suspect the trainer wasn't cantering him under saddle because that got him amped up. All the slow trotting and big circles she did made him quiet and slow) Especially in winter I sometimes long for "a push ride"! :lol:

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:43 pm

MsM wrote:At this stage it is hard to know how much of a push ride she will be.

I agree. That's part of what I meant about the rider getting in her way and wishing there was some free lunging video... A lot of times the horses started this way are encouraged to go slow and lazy, because that means they aren't being reactive. I think if someone could keep their hands still (stop bumping her mouth and instead take a little contact) and then push her forward more, she might appear differently.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:01 pm

The Fresian cross is very cute. I'm really hoping to find something that's at least 4 years old though. Maybe I'll go check her out to see though. I agree she looks like a push ride but I find it hard to judge off of videos. Sometimes I've had horses go very differently than what the video showed!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Stay away from Dash For Cash bred quarter horses, they tend to be uh...unpredictable. They were all the rage in the barrel racing until folks realized their mental stability was not the best. ;)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:37 pm

Kelo and Sue B, thanks for the QH tips!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:22 pm

fresian x is very attractive, but looks super green. Way overpriced at 8k.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:46 pm

Ryeissa wrote:fresian x is very attractive, but looks super green. Way overpriced at 8k.

Agreed she is way over priced. Green and I don't LOVE her gaits.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:22 pm

over your budget? too young? https://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.p ... id=2175200

oops never mind
Last edited by Chisamba on Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 pm

blob wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:fresian x is very attractive, but looks super green. Way overpriced at 8k.

Agreed she is way over priced. Green and I don't LOVE her gaits.

same..... she is more like a 3k horse, but what do I know :roll:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:36 pm

I wish you were not so far away, but of course you may not share my taste anyway, but there are a few stunning DHH in PA, and i love my DHH

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:29 am

Chisamba, not familiar with them but willing to try anything out as a potential. But yes my location is not helping me out.

Ryeissa, I feel like everything is overpriced right now, at least on this side of the country! It's a real bummer lol.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Chisamba, not familiar with them but willing to try anything out as a potential. But yes my location is not helping me out.

Ryeissa, I feel like everything is overpriced right now, at least on this side of the country! It's a real bummer lol.

Yeah, I realize now I way way way underpaid for my lovely horse.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:22 pm

I'm hoping the market goes back to "normal" eventually. Last year was a totally different market.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:30 pm

I am absolutely shocked at how the horse market has responded to the COVID economy. Would have expected the low-end side of the horse market to be more or less on sale to reduce boarding cost exposure; instead, what used to be a $5k horse is now selling at $10 - 15k and the higher brackets are even more so!

I saw a post with a ~$70k teenaged 4th level horse that had a disclosed breathing issue-- and it sold in days. Blows my mind.

On the other hand, if you can turn a very green horse into a solid citizen, you may have an opportunity for a quick (ish) flip... so long as the market remains ridiculous.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:01 pm

Ponichiwa, yep!! In shocked because I also expected lower prices. There is a lot of "here's a decent (but not spectacular) quality OTTB, 3 years old, had 4 rides, has some issues, $10k" and yes everything is selling quickly. Like in days or at most, a few weeks.

I wish I could flip a horse but not my personality unfortunately!
Last edited by Lipsmackerpony88 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:05 pm

One breed I'm interested in, oddly, is Arabians or crosses. I've always not been keen on them but I've ridden a few and gotten along with them. Maybe I'm just had access to great minded ones but I've felt fine with them.

I know their croups can sometimes not be great for Dressage but looking at a few that are supposedly bred with Dressage in mind. They are mostly reasonably priced too.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:19 pm

There are some nice Arabian crosses out there, and you might well find an arabian/WB cross within your budget. Especially with the full Arabians, the thing to watch is the canter, which is often rather lateral. My retired horse has lived at an Arabian sporthorse place most of his life (very small family place) and I will say the horses tend to be pretty sound and healthy. Arabian SH nationals is held right down the road every other year, so it's always been tempting to get a registered half Arabian to take advantage of that.

This is an Arabian I would consider if I was in the market. I don't like how he is being ridden in trot, so I think his trot could improve with more stretching over the back, but he has a naturally good canter without any of the lateral tendency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI59E8f ... e=youtu.be
https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2179694/t ... ngton.html
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Straightforward, I agree, his canter is nice!

I've definitely seen some that I wouldn't consider at all but definitely a few that are possibility.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Oooh. I didn't realize the TB and the running QH were two different horses.

I would not touch any of those QH's, esp. with the videos of them with large men on them at 2! I have a massive problem with people starting horses before 4, and the working them way too hard. If you're going to buy a horse, you might as well get your money's worth and have them sound for a lifetime. Way too much stress on bones too early.

The Fresian actually looks like a decent horse, and is doing a super job with that really unbalanced rider. I don't like that she's only 3, but she has been barely ridden. I think she's worth a look. With a smaller, balanced rider, you, and some time, she might be really nice.

That Hannovarian has something funky going on in the hind end. Not even behind in the trot.

I agree with straightforward on the grey Arab. He's actually a really nice horse despite the way he's ridden and the funky draw reins. Nice use of the hind leg and good neck set.

My go to on any horse is the separation of the hind legs in the canter--if they do that and the legs come under the body, that's a really good indication of soundness and the ability to correct. I see that in the Friesian and grey Arab.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:51 pm

I've owned a few Arabians over the years. I definitely am a fan of the breed. I prefer Polish, Spanish and crabbet lines. I earned my bronze on a Polish bred gelding. There are definitely worthy individuals out there. I had a friend her earned all her medals on her (primarily) Spanish bred gelding. The pricing can be all over the map for them and not necessarily a reflection of their abilities either. I find going straight to the breeder has often provided me with the best opportunities; but, that being said my guy who earned my bronze was a 'if you can channel his energy, you should be okay' purchase from his former owner. He had been trained and shown through training level but the owner would have to lunge him for hours at the show before she felt it was safe to get on him. The only time I lunged him was to take lunge lessons on him LOL. He was an absolute gem and the rest of the family adored him too. I really like the grey Arab.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:57 pm

yup, mine is super. But you all know that....

the one posted above is nice! good canter.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:27 pm

I believe someone previously mentioned this trainer/seller in Idaho. Here is her link. https://ccsporthorses.com/

You can view some of her previously sold horses to get a view of what she typically trains and sells. I really like that she had some smaller horses.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:28 pm

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2186330.html here is an interesting in cross. Cute guy though.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:29 pm

Josette, yes I don't believe she has any right now. But maybe I should reach out still.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:36 pm

Yes - I only mentioned as a FYI site. I really like this description of the little gray you just posted. I especially like this trainer and how he is riding and training this youngster. Very cute and sounds like lots of potential. I admit traveling with all these covid problems is stressful imo.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Josette yes thank you. I should reach out to her, maybe she has something not yet on the market.

Travelling right now will definitely be a pain. Ugh. That's why I'm shocked that horse's are flying off the shelves. But I think slowly more and more are buying sight unseen too. I wish I could do that but it's absolutely not for me for a bunch of reasons.

Good thing I'm in no rush! Although I am pretty eager to buy but it all has to kind of line up.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:22 am

exvet wrote:I've owned a few Arabians over the years. I definitely am a fan of the breed. I prefer Polish, Spanish and crabbet lines.

Totally agree! I've got two Polish Arab crosses, and they are absolutely fabulous. Anz gets constant compliments on the quality of her movement and confirmation, even now as a creaky old lady.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:51 am

Yup. Polish here too

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 am

3 strikes against, mare. temperament 6, needs experienced rider,
for:
firt Collins and my new favorite breed

. https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2181570.html

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Chisamba, the problem with ads is what is someone's 6 could be my 9 temperament ha ha! I bet she is a fabulous mover!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:05 pm

I'm calling a local about 3 Arabians today. I'll let you guys know about the breeding.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:I'm calling a local about 3 Arabians today. I'll let you guys know about the breeding.

If there is one you are particularly interested in, I can ask my Arabian sporthorse connection. :)

The DHH mare is beautiful, but that ad makes me think "put owner in hospital."
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:05 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2186330.html here is an interesting in cross. Cute guy though.

OMG. This is a NICE pony! By FAR the nicest, quality mover! VERY interesting cross, too. Looks like he was started well and has pretty easy gaits to sit on while moving so well. Go look at him if he's not too small for you!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:11 pm

StraightForward wrote:
Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:I'm calling a local about 3 Arabians today. I'll let you guys know about the breeding.

The DHH mare is beautiful, but that ad makes me think "put owner in hospital."

I thought the same thing!

Horse shopping is nerve wracking!! I’m nervous reading this thread and I’m not even looking for a horse!

I like the arab, too, but I’m a little bias toward Arabs.

The 2 (3?) yr old Fresian mare looks interesting. As others have pointed out, she may just appear to be a push ride because of her age and the type of training she’s getting. She does look safe, though.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:24 pm

MsM wrote:At this stage it is hard to know how much of a push ride she will be. I thought my horse was going to be a push ride. In fact another buyer passed on him because she couldn't get him forward! Once I got him home and allowed him to go forward, he was quite, um, enthusiastic. (Actually I suspect the trainer wasn't cantering him under saddle because that got him amped up. All the slow trotting and big circles she did made him quiet and slow) Especially in winter I sometimes long for "a push ride"! :lol:

Yes, you can always change/improve the push ride aspect. And it's not always a definite. But since OP said she actually preferred the bolter to the push ride from the two she tried last weekend, I think she probably wants/will do best with something on the hotter side. I will say also that I know 3 fresian crosses and 2 full fresians well and all 5 of them are definitely on the lazier side. One is both tense/nervous and a push ride, which makes him quite complicated, but he's also a very nice mover.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:05 pm

I want Dexter the grey arab x. Reminds me of my horse!

Return to “Dressage Training”