Horse shopping, how did you know what you want?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Horse shopping, how did you know what you want?

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:05 pm

I reached out about the little grey.

I agree that the ad for the DHH does make you wonder. They definitely aren't talking her up much as a wonderful riding horse.

I really do want that find middle! Not terribly behind the leg or hot.

I rode another today (the mustang, some might know what I'm talking about.) He was very cool but not the one either. He was more on the go than whoa but good. Definitely pony size and probably the smallest I've ridden. I'd prefer a little bigger.

I rode him okay but I felt like I didn't ride him spectacular. I came home feeling a little bit ashamed and a little frustrated. Although that's partly because I just lost a horse in September. To be horse shopping again so soon gets a little heavy.

I'm going to keep looking but in the meantime I really am going to try and take some lunge lessons and work on my seat. I'm trying not to get upset at myself when I make mistakes so the only other thing I know to do is create a plan to make things better. I feel like I'm being very very picky in the horse shopping journey but cuz of what has happened I don't have another choice. It will take as long as it takes. One day all the stars will align. I just hope it's sometime this year lol...

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:08 pm

The Arabians are Polish bloodlines although I didn't get any pedigree names. She said they are mostly walk/trot right now and canter occasionally on the trail.

We will see. Hard to know much yet, haven't seen videos either but she's sending some.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:29 pm

Maybe try some searches for Arabian Sport Horse for more contacts and links.

https://arabiansporthorsealliance.org/member-ads/

khall

Postby khall » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:53 am

Just be sure to check for PSSM 1 with any draft cross that has Belgium or Percheron in it.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:54 pm

Interesting about the mark-up folks are noticing on more modest horses. At my barn, the $50k horses are selling well; the $5-10k horses aren't.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Piedmont Fields, interesting. Where are you located again? The South? Here they are selling so quickly. Some without a PPE (even at 10k.) But I feel like it's a supply and demand issue. I do hope it's starting to cool down. This is the toughest market I've ever shopped in.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:39 am

I don't know if this ad will link but there's a nice looking young buckskin Morgan for sale in Oklahoma
https://www.facebook.com/brianna.willia ... 4099670114

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 am

Oh I like the buckskin Morgan!!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:09 pm

Goldhorse, I actually had messaged about him. The videos they sent me he looks pretty hot and nervous.

While I don't want a dead head, I don't want something very hot or extremely nervous/mentally tense. He looks SO cute though and definitely looked appealing to me at first.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:34 pm

Interesting. I sent the ad to a friend who's looking. I would describe most Morgans that I have known as "hot" but not in a dangerous way. They're smart, they want a job and they want to go. After 30 minutes of trot work, my 17 yo hits a new gear and becomes a little locomotive. It's never dangerous but it can be intimidating to this chicken rider when he ignores half halts. He's a looky loo at new stuff but his spooks are pretty tame and he comes around very quickly.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:41 pm

I looked back at the message, she said he definitely has a bit of a spook and has crow hopped and reacted a bit. Sounds like nothing major but I just don't want as much of a project at this time. I've had a few babies but I definitely make sure they are straight forward types. This guy sounds like he just needs a lot more time and experience under saddle, more confidence. He will be cool for someone. I'm just exhausted after losing a really good minded and straight forward 4 year old to Wobblers. I am cool with green but really want a straight forward again.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:42 pm

I've only ridden one Morgan, a 6 year old though. He was a forward ride but very fun. Would look around but not overly spooky. A little pocket rocket type for sure!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 pm

I'm aware that I'm being ultra picky. It's just hard after losing a horse that you really enjoyed and clicked with. It's hard not to want a similar type.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 pm

That morgan is super cute but do not feel like you're being ultra picky, you're trying to find the right match for yourself and that's important.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Imperini, yeah I guess I feel that I really want to make sure that I get something that I click with and that's sound and healthy.

I do think you have to be careful not to look for a carbon copy of a horse after you've lost one. But the fact is there are certain traits that I enjoy.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Imperini wrote:That morgan is super cute but do not feel like you're being ultra picky, you're trying to find the right match for yourself and that's important.

Ditto. I looked at a morgan a couple years back that is the same age as Junior. He was from the same breeder where I got Brandon. The breeder, who is honest and knows her horses well, indicated that the horse (at the time a 4 year old) would need an experienced rider and lacked confidence though was otherwise a good soul. I simply didn't need 'that' though he is lovely and very well put together. Obviously I could handle something like that and actually do well with those that need or seek confidence from their rider but I wanted one who I could eventually put anyone on and not worry, like my mustang Ace and butt head Junior (who is actually very safe). When I went to look at Brandon I had already told her I wanted bold and cheeky. She promised that Brandon fit that description....well I did get exactly that. I saw the horse I had inquired about as she still had him for sale. As a 6 year old he was really coming into his own and a nice guy. He was just purchased by a youth rider and looks like it's going to be the perfect fit. I am not at all sorry I didn't buy him and waited it out until I found 'the one'. The breeder too, wasn't upset, concerned or miffed that I passed on the one and was interested instead in Brandon. We as breeders, also want the perfect fit for our stock. What you're looking for will come a long and it's worth the wait.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Exvet, yes I feel that way about some. Like I could handle them but right now, do not want to handle certain things. I don't think I can ever regret getting the right fit.

Sometimes I see horses I pass on and while they are doing great, I usually think I did the right thing. I think it's so important to buy something that you really look forward to riding. It helps when it starts getting cold or when they are injured. That love and enjoyment really carries you through sometimes!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Josette wrote:I believe someone previously mentioned this trainer/seller in Idaho. Here is her link. https://ccsporthorses.com/

You can view some of her previously sold horses to get a view of what she typically trains and sells. I really like that she had some smaller horses.

She just posted a cute 6 yo 7/8 Andy mare not on her website yet: https://www.facebook.com/1347018093/vid ... 3282313670
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm

StraightForward wrote:
Josette wrote:I believe someone previously mentioned this trainer/seller in Idaho. Here is her link. https://ccsporthorses.com/

You can view some of her previously sold horses to get a view of what she typically trains and sells. I really like that she had some smaller horses.

She just posted a cute 6 yo 7/8 Andy mare not on her website yet: https://www.facebook.com/1347018093/vid ... 3282313670

What a neat, neat mare!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:56 pm

nice mare! I would ride that one

khall

Postby khall » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:50 pm

https://ccsporthorses.com/luna-2009/

I like this mare from them too.

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:21 am

Because I have one horse at a time and it is as much pet as it is athletic partner, I found that I just have to look until I find one I "click" with. I pretty much knew the one I wanted, though I twice fought against buying that horse because he didnt check all the boxes (wrong size, or too green, or too expensive etc). At this point I kind of know my type (which tends to be Morgan or similar) though I try to stretch a bit when looking (last time I looked at some TB and TB crosses since I had been part leasing one)

When I can picture myself riding that horse and comparing other horses to that one, I eventually realize that is the one I gotta get!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:36 pm

I like both the Andalusian mares! I thought I saw that the grey sold on dream horse, but maybe not. I'll reach out.

MsM, yes clickability is high on my list, next to soundness. I actually rode two that I clicked with but had to pass for other reasons, sadly. But it's a good reminder that some horses you just instantly enjoy (and they enjoy you too.)

blob

Postby blob » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:16 pm

LS, did you ever reach out about that gray pony?

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:32 pm

Blob, yes I emailed and texted them but haven't gotten a response.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:14 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Blob, yes I emailed and texted them but haven't gotten a response.

that's a bummer. I wonder if she sold. she sure was cute!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:16 pm

She was adorable!!! And on my side of the country. Maybe I'll call them for one last try.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:00 am

Well I tried a Ranch bred QH today. Green as grass but a good boy. Didn't love the double twisted wire snaffle the lady had in his mouth. Unfortunately he was pretty toed in and to the extent that I think a Life as a Dressage horse would not be good for him. More a trail type.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:39 am

Yeah, its tough when the brain is there but not the confo. I tried a buckskin qh mare a few years back who had such an amazing brain. She was very sensitive and forward,and really eager to please. But overmuscled for the amount of bone she had, so I passed on her.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:53 pm

Straightforward, yeah it's a bummer. I've passed on two others who I also liked. Good minds, fun rides but one was making wonder about his feet (and he was shod) and the other the conformation wasn't there for his five figure price tag!

Unfortunately all the pieces have to be there. So the search continues.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:10 pm

I keep joking that we need the ability to conduct horse brain transplants. If I could have had that mare's brain in Tesla's body, we would be unstoppable! :D
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:38 pm

I am procrastinating cleaning house so what better way then to look at horses! Anyway, I saw a horse on the CTDS public facebook group this morning that looks very interesting and checks a lot of your boxes. She’s 14, Fresian, looks very nicely trained, 15 hh, quite decent movement, and the seller sounds like someone I would trust. Located in east Texas. She doesn’t give the price because she says FB doesn’t like listing prices. She says pm her for the price. I don’t actually do FB so I don’t even know how to pm her. I couldn’t find a website for her either. But you can go to the CTDS page if you’re interested. I really, really liked her.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:59 pm

Thank you Demi! She does look very nice. She's a bit older than I'm looking for, but it kinda depends on the level of training too. She does look pretty wide though, which with my size and tight hips (thanks Elher Danlos Syndrome) might be an issue.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:06 pm

I'm curious what people think of the situation. I think it's kind of odd and not really a good situation for me and I understand I can just say no. I'm just curious if I'm looking at it at a bad angle.

There is a western trainer at the barn I was boarding who gave me a number for a lady with an Andy cross in another state. It's a 7-year-old horse and the lady started him herself. She said she took him to a parade and he was very green and it wasn't a good situation for him. It sounds like she thinks he needs a restart. She did send me some videos of her riding on with a cross country vest on. But he doesn't look scary. Just lazy and maybe unhappy. His tail is going a mile a minute. Could be flies. She definitely is a pretty loud rider, I think trying to coax him along.

She keeps contacting me and the trainer who gave me her number. she proposed that she could trailer him down and I would split gas money and she would leave him here for a month and I would pay for his board and Care. She would pay for one session with the trainer. And if I felt he needed more I would be responsible for any other sessions or lessons that he needed.

To me, it sounds like a bad deal. It's a bit hard to tell in the video and not being able to see him in person but I'm not sure he sounds like my type. And it sounds like I would be paying for the horse to have 30 days of training. But I think she sees it as she's doing me a favor to let me have the horse for a month to try out.

I'm going to tell her but unless I can see the horse beforehand and ride him that I have to pass. And it doesn't sound like she's comfortable having him ridden until a trainer has worked with him again. just overall doesn't sound like what I'm looking for but this lady is very persistent. I think she's kind of lonely and just really wants him to have a good home but it just sounds like a big project.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:18 pm

no, sounds pressure filled. you could get left with a horse you don't want.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:23 pm

Ryeissa, that's what I'm thinking. Complicated scenario for sure. I really think she means well but I don't see it working out.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:26 pm

I agree with Ryeissa. To iffy. Wait till you find something you’re much more sure about.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:32 pm

I agree with you. I would not have the horse come down for a month trial unless you have ridden him and have some connection.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:51 pm

I did tell her that she should find a trainer to see if they would take him on for training and consignment. But I don't want or need to be involved in that.

She's a bit odd, so even more of a reason not to get into a commitment with a horse I have not even tried!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Nah. If you really thought he might be a super prospect for you, I might try to negotiate her paying the board in the case that you ended up sending him back, but you're already less than lukewarm about the horse, so it doesn't seem worth it.
Keep calm and canter on.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:13 pm

Almost sounds like she's desperate to be rid of the horse. I'd take that as a big red flag myself
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Not your job to retrain her horse. Hard pass.

People do come up with some creative stuff when they are trying to offload something, don't they? Years ago, I looked at quite a nice horse, rode him, quite liked him, but he needed a lot of work, got off and took his enormous bellboots off... club feet and the most upright pasterns I have ever seen on a horse. So, no, thank you, I wasn't in a risk taking position at the time. That woman hounded me for weeks with creative offers until I had to get quite blunt with her.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Mountaineer, that does sound similar. This lady is really hounding me and now the trainer is too. Of course he wants that deal, he gets paid to train a horse for a month at my cost. I just don't see it being beneficial or working out for me in anyway. I see more of a potential diaster than opportunity.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:39 pm

yeah, they are trying way too hard to get the horse moved. That is not normal behavior..... good for you to move on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:50 pm

They live in a really rural area and are older, alone and caring for an elderly parent. But I definitely got a sense of nervousness with how they spoke about the horse.

I talked to the owner of the grey Percheron/Arab cross that someone shared up thread. He sounds like a really cool dude although the guy did stress that he needed a good balanced and soft rider. Not that he would freak out though but needed rider support (not surprising at 4!)

Of course, right now being not in "full work" riding wise, I'm unsure whether I would be a good fit or not. I'm unsure if I want to travel right away because of covid but if things quiet down and there are other horses to see in the area might be worth checking out. But I guess someone did come out today and really liked him so he might not be available. We will see.

I have a few more possible prospects in Colorado to check out. If they don't sell before I can get to them honestly a lot of things are selling within days before I can even get a seller to call me back!

In the meantime I'm going to really try to get some lessons. I need to work on myself and bring out the best in my riding to really confidently horse shop.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:35 am

Well tried a 3 year old Chestnut OTTB mare tonight. How's that for stereotypes? Ha ha. She was a fool on the ground. But the owner wasn't helping and clearly ground work was lacking... But under saddle she was pretty straightforward. A little push ride but you could get her moving and more forward. Pretty mover.

But SO skinny. IMO too skinny for under saddle work. She needs ulcer meds, extra hay, fat, protein, winter off from under saddle work and just ground work. She was nice enough to ride, well priced (for a high market.) But I'd worry that she would be a different horse in a 100 lbs or so. She definitely seemed like she could be marish. She kicked at a gelding (not her fault, he was pushy but she gave him a pretty loud warning shot.) In the arena the first few times near the mirrors she shook and pinned her ears at her reflection.

I will probably pass. Mostly because of the weight issue honestly.

I'm just updating in case anyone is interested in the painful/fun journey of horse shopping ha ha!!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:38 am

Imo, the Chestnut mare was more of a bit of push ride that could turn into not a push ride. I could work with that type. but like I mentioned above some are just extremely push rides and I think it would be hard to reform them for me. This one would be easy to get her in front of the leg I think.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 am

Lipsmacker I hear you on the mare changing with added weight. We went looking in 2016 for a horse for a friend and found a very nice OTTB g. 7 yr old. He was a perfect ride with questionable ground manners. I was very concerned how he would be after putting on weight but really that was never an issue. She had some major manner training to put on him and it’s been a bit of a journey but he is safe safe to ride. Still very remedial but not because of him

I like a good OTTB when you can find a sound one.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:45 am

Khall yeah I've never personally had an issue with a huge personality change with weight gain but I've seen it happen with others- especially with just how thin this girl is. She's thin enough that I think she really needs more weight and muscle before really being ridden. It would be a pretty dramatic change so I could see it affecting her personality and energy!

I might be seeing a QH/Arab cross tomorrow..owner was odd so we will see if it happens lol. Dealing with the different characters (owners) is the toughest part of horse shopping.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:00 am

Hmm, I had two windows open and my post disappeared!

One of the best horses I ever rode was a Quarab mare when I was 13-14. She was a total doll and a really nice jumper; would love to have that horse now and see what I could do with her.

I think the right horse will find you, maybe through word of mouth or the internet hive, if you keep putting out feelers and putting a fine point on your requirements. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”