Horse shopping, how did you know what you want?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Horse shopping, how did you know what you want?

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:14 pm

Ryeissa lol!! Same, I had good luck with my husband just popping into my life so hopefully the same can happen with a horse!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:45 pm

Might be too far (OH?) but this is a cute 6yo Hann mare. I love Akzent II horses-- the ones I've known have had really fun brains. Listed at $15k.

https://warmblood-sales.com/horse/wroyal-kate-0

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:12 pm

On the topic of cute mares, here's a 7yo RPSI mare for $6.5k in SD:
https://warmblood-sales.com/horse/sf-lady-luck

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:25 am

Ponichiwa, that chestnut is seriously cute! Unfortunately, with Covid, traveling to ohio would be tough :( it's seriously not helping my horse search right now!

I think Blob sent me the one in SD. I think I emailed about her with no response but maybe I should try again.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:32 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ8v6OYnusm ... nl117g66xz you will have to click the link but might look at this guy. He's just been started by a trainer I have worked with (I love how she starts her young horses)

He looks cute! he doesn't like a really flashy but I don't necessarily want or need that. Good height (15 hands and growing) Obviously very green. He's an Andalusian cross. Barefoot. Close enough for a look anyways.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Lipsmacker he’s cute! Green as grass but a WB Andalusian cross is a nice cross.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:20 pm

I like him! And I think he looks like he’s being started very well.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:08 pm

Yes he's only 3 so very green. But I know this trainer, she started my last horse and does such a great job with the young ones. Worth a look anyways! I'd keep him in training too for more time.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:53 pm

Yeah! Keep us posted. I definitely put a lot of value personally on knowing who started the horse.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:07 pm

Very nice youngster and looks like he will be a solid citizen with more training. Definitely like him.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:15 am

He's not officially on the market yet but I'm hopefully looking at him very soon. We just got snow so hopefully the weather turns decent again!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:25 am

He looks like a solid citizen and a fast learner--definitely worth a look, especially if he's close to home.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:10 am

I just peeked at him in the pasture today, so so sweet. Seemed very calm, level headed and friendly. I'm excited to officially try him, hopefully this coming week.

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:50 am

He’s sure cute, but are you wanting one that green? He’s clearly just backed in that video, so there’s quite a ways to go to get to solid citizen, even with a gentle horse?

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:09 am

Kelo1, this trainer started another youngster of mine and she does SUCH a good job starting them. Every horse I've ridden if hers is just so well started on the basics that I've found them very enjoyable. She sells most to amateurs.

Honestly it just depends! I would keep him in training for a bit like I did with my last youngster. It really comes down to temperament IMO. My last few horses have all been bought with 60 to 120 days under saddle, I've had no issues but it comes down to temperament IMO.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:30 am

I'd rather have anything that's been well started. I do have a soft spot for the babies, even with how much work they are lol. But I wouldn't turn down a quality, well started more seasoned horse either! The problem is my budget is under $15k in a region with little stock around at high prices...

We will see when I see him actually go in person/ride him. I believe the video clip is from the beginning, the trainer said he's w/t/c going over poles and beginning lateral (TOF, steps of leg yield.)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:07 am

Sounds like a good option. If you can keep him with the trainer for another 90 days he should be good to go.
Very cute guy!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:03 am

Worth a look anyways :)

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:19 am

Can you get a conformation shot from behind? He looks like he might be quite close behind or sickle hocked.

In the videos I don't love his hind end in general, but he is young and green. Definitely a strength issue, which isn't a problem in itself, but I'd worry he has trouble building strength there as he's proportionally much more developed in the neck and shoulder

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:19 pm

Blob that is pretty typical of some Andalusians to have large shoulder and neck compared to the HQs. It is also not unusual for some of them to be sickle hocked. Not my favorite conformation for sure. I still like this youngster

Lipsmacker what is he crossed with?

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:35 pm

Gotcha, if you’re comfortable with and have a plan for the super greenie thing then definitely worth meeting him to see if you all click!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:27 pm

I definitely think he's built with a pretty hefty shoulder compared to his hind! Although like Khall said, from what I've seen that's not super unusual for this type... He's turned out right now and trainer is going out of town. So no conformation photos until she's back and I go try him.

Supposedly he's crossed with WB but need to confirm that with the trainer to see if there is indeed any papers or solid idea of breed.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm

May not be unusual for the type, but would still worry me about long term soundness and performance

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:26 pm

Blob, I will keep that in mind as I usually do. Honestly he's close enough and with someone I have a good relationship, so I see no harm in checking him for one trial ride. He seems like a good fellow and I have absolutely no other prospects near by right now. Maybe I'll pass, I have no idea yet.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:49 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKJg8abnPrH ... 2pnfyyb346

Here is a different video of him, I hadn't seen this one. His trot is very cute, he looks like a good minded baby. Not sure that I love his canter but these clips are sale videos. So hard to tell from 15 seconds imo! And that's his first canter under saddle. I'll wait to judge him more in person, on the lunge/under saddle.

I think she has a few others to try too but not sure. Everything is selling fast!

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 pm

Maybe for window shopping but check out the QH pony listed under the poster name Jessica Turner. There are some lovely pics posted but you would have to contact seller for video and price.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/119042001761362/

Facebook - Dressage Ponies in USA and Canada - Public forum

Trainable, flashy, and kind 5yo 14hh large pony gelding available. This is the ultimate prospect with talent and brains to excel in any discipline. Brave and willing with lovely form over fences and super gaits - Mini warmblood look. Ready to finish your way!
Nicely going w/t/c leg yield under saddle and started over fences. Will develop quickly in a program with consistent riding as he currently does well with just 1-2 day/week riding due to winter weather and no indoor. No lunging required prior to ride. No buck, rear, bolt.
Ties, clips (fresh clip on 2/1), bathes, stands for farrier, and loads/hauls. No vices. Sound with no prior injuries. Barefoot with good feet. Easy keeper. Easy to handle. Can live out 24/7 or be stalled. New free jump, free movement & under saddle video available. Pm for details.
2016 | 14hh | QH Pony | Gelding | Chestnut | Harrah, OK

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:14 pm

Josette thanks! I actually messaged her last night!

I wasn't super impressed with the video but I also wonder if it's partly how he's ridden (busy hands.) He's in Oklahoma though, so potentially not to bad to see. I wonder if a lunge video would show better gaits. He's definitely very cute and a great size.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:38 am

$15k but says obo, and maybe your budget can stretch a bit as time goes on? Apologies if not, but thought I'd throw it out there.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1245618021
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:21 am

SF very cute! Certainly could be in the budget! And AZ isn't a bad place to travel this time of year. I saw a cute quarter horse in Arizona too... Not sure what part though! Thanks

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:37 am

Yup, I'm with you. A shopping trip to AZ from our frozen climes seems like a not bad idea right at the moment... (Keep your fingers crossed my trip comes off!) And its a short, cheap plane ride.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 am

Mountaineer, better then shopping in Minnesota or New England!! Fingers crossed for your trip! I hope it all works out.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:08 am

Hah, yes, I found a nice looking prospect in Minnesota today... Ugh!

I guess I'll know tomorrow or Thursday what's happening with Mr Arizona, and make any further plans based on that...

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:39 pm

I would travel to Minnesota if it was a great horse but ugh would be hard to do this time of year! Although it's so cold here right now, I guess what's the difference.

Keep us posted about the AZ horse. I think I'm more excited about your horse shopping than mine ;)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:30 am

I tried the Andalusian cross today. He is SUCH a good minded little baby. He's only had 60 days of training total, with the trainer that I have worked with before. She's very conservative and slow with her training so he's only actually been under saddle a few weeks. She goes very slow but every horse seems to come out of her program more calm and confident for it.

He had 2 1/2 weeks off out in a pasture while trainer was out of town (and to give him a mental break.) So she pulled him Thursday for a ride then today. No lunging needed before, even though a little snow storm was rolling in with the wind.

He definitely is not hot off the leg but I personally think it's just the stage of training. He wasn't the most behind the leg horse I've tried though! :lol:

She said he had some stranger danger around new people but he was perfectly happy around me. He even had a leg cocked while I was mounting. Lol It wasn't my best ride, the trainer is near my size but a touch taller. Everyone always wants to shorten my stirrups but my femur is really long for my size. So everytime I see video I look like a jockey. But he was trying, despite me riding like a monkey.

Going to see him again. He's SO green, especially for the price. But I love this trainer and could keep him in training for a bit. He has a sweet eye and cute movement. Easy keeper type. A little insecure/unsure type but level headed. :) We will see. I will try to post video later although I rode SO embarrassingly badly. But oh well lol

khall

Postby khall » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:58 am

Lipsmacker did you find out what the other half is? I think he is a nice prospect.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:23 am

Khall, they claim WB but there are no papers :/ so really hard to say. But I think he's definitely worth another ride. He's got the mind for sure.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:36 am

A bonus is that they said I could come see him as many times as I want in the next 3 weeks.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 am

https://youtu.be/PLfbeRPlaTo

Soundness wise, I don't know. I always see something with every horse, especially if they are young (even more if they are behind the leg imo) it kind of comes down to if I'm feeling it enough for a PPE. I tend to find plenty with the mind, it's the body that has to pass!

I really want to see him on the lunge next time. I would like to see him move out without a rider (especially me) on his back. Either way, what an enjoyable ride on a baby.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 am

"Enjoyable" says a lot, you know.

How old is he? He's obviously very green, but he's mostly rythmic with the odd baby bobble, tracking up evenly and looks basically sound. Worth pursuing, I would say!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:08 am

Moutaineer wrote:"Enjoyable" says a lot, you know.

How old is he? He's obviously very green, but he's mostly rythmic with the odd baby bobble, tracking up evenly and looks basically sound. Worth pursuing, I would say!

He's 3, coming 4. Trainer is double checking with owner when he's coming 4 to be sure. He's looks like he will be filling out quite a bit more, I'm sure he will grow a bit too.

He is so so sweet. Sweetest eye. Trainer said forward will be the mission now but she likes to really install the brakes at first and he definitely has them. But I think he can get a forward button installed. He was a bit more forward with the trainer, but wasn't as sure having a new rider in his back. But I think he was a good boy still. Hoping to go back next week.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:43 am

You look nice on him!

I will say, having started many babies that the ones that are lazy at the start tend to stay that way. Most youngsters start out responsive and then can dull out --with those it's easier to get them back to responsive. But if they start out lazy, it's rare for them to become forward minded horses. The doesn't mean training can't and won't help, but it'll likely require a rider who remains very strict about forward

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:15 pm

Blob, interesting! I've always heard the opposite! My last gelding that this gal started felt similar and after another 30 days under saddle was not behind the leg at all. I wouldn't say he was hot, but very respectful of the leg.

This guy was more very attentive and aware of my balance in the saddle. So he felt me tip at all, he would assume I wanted to stop.

I will keep it in mind though as I go back and ride him. I'm not sure that I felt a true lazy horse in there though. Just a bit reserved and unsure still but maybe who knows if that would change or not.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:28 pm

I like your comment that he appears level headed which is great for a green training project. I would prefer that over reactive or unpredictable behavior (been there). It sounds like you would enjoy working with this trainer to make him into a fun horse. He is cute and you fit him well too.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:48 pm

As for the baby bobble issues (yes i see the occasional hike higher the one hind leg) it is very hard to tell if it's really the hind end or more his teeth/mouth. I agree that watching him without a rider is key and for a prepurchase exam I would make darn sure he has his teeth looked at so that you can get any issues there addressed simply for his sake and to maximize his training. Brandon has certainly gone through some 'funky' stages as he sheds his teeth - sound horse but definitely not happy with any contact or pressure at times. The big key for me (other than the obvious cap or recently shed tooth) is he will often back off on his feed though not his hay when his mouth is bothering him.

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:48 pm

Sounds like you have a good feeling with this one! That means a lot. He looks level-headed with all the stuff in the arena and a new rider. I appreciate that more and more as I get older.

My guy was six when I got him but super green. (Had barely cantered under saddle) While he travelled with a lower head, he didn't accept contact and had those bobbly baby moments. The trainer had concentrated on slow and relaxed when training and that is how he went. The person who tried him before me turned him down because he "wasn't forward enough for dressage!"

Then I got him home and started asking for more forward. Yippee! We got forward! I suspect they kept him slow both as part of their training scheme and to keep him from getting excited and tense when asked for more energy while he was for sale. We worked through that and he is a fun, responsive ride. I more often have to reinforce brakes than gas.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:59 pm

Sounds like you’re getting some good advice from experienced people. I like him and think you look good on him, not just the “look” but the way you handle him, and the way he handles you. One of the best things I like about the situation is the trainer. You like her, you have excellent experience with her, and you can stay with her for a while. That’s a good deal!

Fingers crossed.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:04 pm

Exvet, good tip about the mouth. Luckily he's about 5 minutes from the local vet clinic (CSU) which is who I hope to use for any PPE. And a pretty thorough one at that. The vet I'm hoping to use takes a really through look. Kind of slow but worth it IMO.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:12 pm

MsM wrote:Sounds like you have a good feeling with this one! That means a lot. He looks level-headed with all the stuff in the arena and a new rider. I appreciate that more and more as I get older.

My guy was six when I got him but super green. (Had barely cantered under saddle) While he travelled with a lower head, he didn't accept contact and had those bobbly baby moments. The trainer had concentrated on slow and relaxed when training and that is how he went. The person who tried him before me turned him down because he "wasn't forward enough for dressage!"

Then I got him home and started asking for more forward. Yippee! We got forward! I suspect they kept him slow both as part of their training scheme and to keep him from getting excited and tense when asked for more energy while he was for sale. We worked through that and he is a fun, responsive ride. I more often have to reinforce brakes than gas.

This trainer definitely focuses on amateur friendly mounts so I could see it being similar. She's an Eventer so knows the importance of forward but also does a lot of mustangs and other young horses that go to adult ammys or young teens.

She goes very slowly which I think is great for the horses confidence. She waits a bit for the canter, which I think for some is a great idea. I wonder if for some it's better to do a little canter earlier. He's also a reserved type and she said can be nervous about things like ropes near him. Not overreactive but she said he definitely needs his hand held occasionally. that makes me think he's not truly lazy at heart but really just unsure still. I do well the unsure types types though.

Luckily he's not on the market yet so I can go see him more and get more of a feel. I'm always hopeful but never get my heart set on anything until it's a done deal!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks Demi. The trainer is one of the more appealing things to me as well. I've always thought if I bought a greenie from someone else, I would not hesitate to send them to her for a bit. She's not perfect but I really like to see how happy the horses in her program are.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:41 pm

He looks like a fun ride. I agree about seeing him go without a rider. Realizing that he is a baby without any muscle development, I would still like to see him a little more active behind, but if he can step under more without a rider, then I'm sure it will come under saddle as well. The good mind is priceless as long as it's in a sound body. It's great that you can come back and try him for a good stretch before he goes on the market!
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”