Top Riders Signing Petition NOT to Wear Helmets

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Top Riders Signing Petition NOT to Wear Helmets

Postby Tanga » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:50 pm

Has anyone see this? I think this is such a bad thing to do and sends such a bad message. I am disappointed it is going around. I hate wearing helmets riding, and for showing loved the top hat, which actually stayed on my giant oblong head and didn't tilt, but I wear the helmet.

And, I was scribing for the judge Sunday that I rode under Saturday. She has been riding all of her life, her mother was a judge, she is, she has brought up many GP horses, rides with Jo Hinneman, and on and on. She told me she was at a show and another horse spooked and basically landed on top of her and horse, and she was airlifted out and had a bad enough head injury that she needed a driver for weeks. (She brought it up saying she loved having a driver. I had heard nothing about this happening.) The helmet saved her life! I know it's a USEF rule, but the FEI needs to stand firm.

Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Top Riders Signing Petition NOT to Wear Helmets

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:54 pm

I was shocked to see some of those names that signed it. I agree, I don't think it's a good thing. I think it's a bit selfish. They are role models.

I wear a helmet not just for my own sake, but so I don't put my family through misery. A helmet doesn't protect from everything but it's the least I can do! So many bad accidents are caused by a trip.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 pm

What?! I can't imagine that shows insurance policies would allow anyone to ride helmet-less. We're required to wear helmets at my facility.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 pm

I haven't seen this. But I'm also disappointed that this is going around. What is the 'reasoning' they give? that it should be personal choice? It feels a bit like drivers not wanting to wear seatbelts, imo. Like, ok, sure it's MORE comfortable not to have it on, but it is even slightly worth the cost? No. not at all. Also if someone wants to risk their own life at their own property, that's on them. But shows are organized by other people and held at grounds that are owned/managed by other people. And so it's also a liability to everyone involved.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Of all the important things one could be petitioning right now... Helmets and top hats? Really?? So silly to me.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:37 pm

the peculiar thing is they seem to forget every single part of riding is controlled, what pants, what boots, what spurs, what coat, and yes, what head covering.

I did have that moment of glee when i had to go out and buy my top hat, but it was because it stood for riding at that level, and had nothing to do with how it looks. for goodness sake, do we really need the fashion for an old fashioned mens club to be the standard for dressage, nope we do not

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:19 pm

I'll be curious if this goes anywhere- its just a petition. It's really not on my radar as something to get up in arms over at this point in 2020. I'm comfortable with the stance FEI and USEF has taken on helmet safety, this doesn't mean much to me. I don't understand why they care, but it's their head to smush.

I also think the "set a good example" idea is fine but then again, I think parents are the teachers of the kids and I fully expect them to be able to enforce good habits and safety. Not some random person they see riding dressage. But then again, when i was starting as a teenager lots of people didn't wear helmets in the early 90s or wore tophats and it never entered my mind to try to emulate them and not wear one. So that argument doesn't really mean much to me personally. I don't think kids are SOOOOO impressionable that this is something to freak out about. I don't idolize people in sport though, and I don't follow them to be some sort of image to uphold.

I don't have much faith in systems like the FEI, they are too political to be effective.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Tanga, do you know where we can see the petition?

editing to add that I found it: https://dressage-news.com/2020/10/24/mo ... petitions/

lots of big names indeed. Disappointing. They say it signals a journey/rite of passage, which is true. But doesn't a shadbelly do the same?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:40 pm

blob wrote:Tanga, do you know where we can see the petition?

editing to add that I found it: https://dressage-news.com/2020/10/24/mo ... petitions/

lots of big names indeed. Disappointing. They say it signals a journey/rite of passage, which is true. But doesn't a shadbelly do the same?

yeah, its the 1% of the 1%. I feel like they don't really speak for me or about me, so why waste my energy. I don't agree but it must be important to them, so whatever..... ;)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Right at the moment this smacks a bit of the privileged classes with too much time on their hands.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:29 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Right at the moment this smacks a bit of the privileged classes with too much time on their hands.

Signing the name probably takes ...what? 30 seconds? That doesn't really mean they are investing a lot of time in this petition. Time will tell, my hunch is it's not going to go anywhere but I'm no-one from nowhere-ville.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:34 pm

I think this just gives us a list of names of people with some questionable thinking. Charlotte and Carl are not on there.

The petition is ridiculous with the traditional outfit. Not, I am a fan of my tails and top hat, but it's really stupid in this sport. What they really need to be doing is demanding a change in the outfit for something more suitable for sport, like the helmet, NOT white breeches, and something on top that is suited to athletics, not a dinner party.

I'm sure this is in "protest" to the FEI adding the helmet rule, where the USEF already has it.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:51 pm

Tanga, Carl Hester is actually on that list, number 79.

But not Charlotte.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Tanga, Carl Hester is actually on that list, number 79.

But not Charlotte.

yeah, weird.
Then again, I was the silly person who wondered if this was legit, and how was this framed to the signers? :roll:

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:00 pm

Ryeissa, true. I had a similar thought.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Well, they missed the deadline! I was sorta right! It's a no-go this time. Much ado about nothing :)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 pm

Whatever I guess. I happen to care about my brain.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:01 pm

Well maybe someone will design a helmet that looks very similar to a top hat :D

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Hayburner wrote:Well maybe someone will design a helmet that looks very similar to a top hat :D

There have been a few styles, not sure why they haven't taken off, but over the years have seen a few styles here and there.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:11 pm

this is officially not happening/dead/shot down. 11.23.2020

Return to “Dressage Training”