Putting 2020 in Hindsight: November-December Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Putting 2020 in Hindsight: November-December Goals and Progress

Postby demi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Just for the
khall wrote:I just do not think you can train a horse only on a circle to do the more advanced work. Lateral work is one of the cornerstones of the training we do.....

blob wrote:In high level theory I agree that maybe all you need is to ride a good straight line and a good circle....

All situations are different and I think there is very little in in dressage that is either (ONLY/ ALL) one way or the other. I’m not saying “you can train a horse ONLY on the circle to do the more advance work.” Nor am I saying that “ALL you need is to ride a good straight line and a good circle”.

Lateral work helped me a lot in the beginning of my lessons and of course it will continue to be am important part of my training. Until I started the lessons, I didn’t realize how little body English was required to move a horse’s haunches or shoulders. Lateral work was, and is still very much a work in progress for me and my horse.

Also, just as riding a straight line, or good circle is not usually easier for the average amateur, neither is doing correct lateral work. I struggle with lateral work and have to concentrate very hard to do it right, and in that regard, balancing lateral work periods with straight work, I get a clearer picture (feeling) and then both ways get better.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:27 pm

I fully recognize that the onus was, is and always will be on me to ride correctly and with ease and harmony (or at least the perception of the same). Had I always ridden Junior correctly from the get go, I probably wouldn't have these problems but I do 100% remember his reluctance to step into the right rein from the time he was three and we were riding the trails as well as his reluctance to step up and under with his left hind leg. I do believe he was born with a 'sided-ness' to him. Now it's not an excuse but it is simply an acknowledgment that my own physical issues have forced me to try to come up with a means to better address my balance and straightness making it equal on both sides so that I can better catch/aid/guide my horse to carry himself in a straight and true manner CONSISTENTLY. This has been somewhat elusive for me at least the consistently and dependably part throughout the progression of work - because my fire plug of a horse still would prefer to carry himself with his left hind stepping out and his right shoulder sucked in and melded to his left shoulder as if they are one. Heck I've been complaining about the same issue since I've been posting about him here. Riding around and around and around trying to achieve the perfect circle only serves to frustrate both the horse and myself and while I know what feels right establishing it does require that I use lateral work to achieve it even if it's working haunches in (very slight) going to the right on a circle and a hint of renver going to the left on a circle; so, even on that halo of a circle I must, with Junior, at least, utilize lateral work to achieve straightness. This was and is the greatest reason I left the last instructor and went to ride with the person who's helping me now. I am not a weak rider and I do have decent feel but the timing of my reflexes are sometimes slower than what they should be or what I would like; so, she is helping me with that. Exercises, done properly, help me develop my own muscle memory as well as that of my horse. I personally need that and don't insist that it's what's required of all riders. I come off the surgery room floor body sore and physically and mentally exhausted. I hurt the next morning when I get up and riding is my only stress outlet (well other than mucking out stalls). I have to find a way to leave the muscle tension behind and ride with just feel and not a lot of thinking. That may not make sense to others but to have the ability to ride without having to think about it really makes a difference in my QOL. Being given exercises to achieve the balance and harmony that I want with my horse even for glimmers of a moment as opposed to drilling a circle over and over and over again hoping that with the right aid or guiding energy will cosmically make Junior straight, well, it's the difference of me drinking myself into stupor or finding some success and achievement in the microcosm of my daily life. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 pm

khall wrote:I just do not think you can train a horse only on a circle to do the more advanced work. Lateral work is one of the cornerstones of the training we do.

since I ride in first position/shoulder fore, it doesn't really matter if I am on a straight line or curved line- the horse is positioned.

I might add in a bit of this or that on curved or straight lines.
My horse is anything but linear, and taught me to not have rules. I have foundations that include
-shape with my seat/spiral seat
-diag energy at all times- fill outside withers and space in front of wither
-maintain flexion - even with straight lines there is a hint of flexion
-Long neck- reach to bit at all times

To fix these things I have a handy dandy box of things including
Rein back to walk, halt, rein back- lift sternum of horse
LY staircase/LY with circles
HP with SI or HI or circles
halt and rein back on a curve- fix weighting issues
SI HI SI HI toggle back and forth with no interruption (no pause)
walk trot canter trans on SECOND track- straight - see were the horse looses straightness

khall

Postby khall » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Demi I was not responding to your thoughts on circles vs lateral work but what chisamba quoted re circles and when SI came into use.

One of the examples I go back to is with Rip. His R hind is his difficult hind leg and he struggled with both stepping to COM and stepping out with that hind leg as he would need to for HP right. So the exercise I’ve gone to in order to help him with it is the stepping over or moving TOF that we’ve discussed before. Now I’ve added even more difficulty in this stepping over by changing bend and flexion so he’s stepping into the bend ie renvere TOF. I can also ask for the trot in the moving TOF which he finds pretty difficult from the left side.

Going on a circle would not challenge that ability to step sideways with the hind leg. Regardless of how good that circle was ridden. At least that is my understanding of the work that I do.

Good post exvet. I’m just sharing my experiences with the horses I work with and the trainer I’ve chosen to learn from. Cedar has a remarkable eye to be so young ( mid 30’s) and the experience training quite a few horses up the levels now from the greenest of green to GP. She now will be stepping into the CDI arena with the one horse Orion. I’m very appreciative of her humble demeanor yet ability to push us a bit more each time a d not over face anyone.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:48 pm

I still don't know if I'll meet my goal this period about sending a Tr level test 3 video into VirtualHorseSport.com for non-ranked judging. The right lead canter is finally there on a shorter rein, but I'm not happy enough with it to show.

Here's what they look like as of Monday:

https://youtu.be/22oGM02NkRM

demi

Postby demi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:51 pm

and now for the horrible right lead :oops: :lol:

https://youtu.be/eeHtnNh_-rs

I'm going to try the square corners that Ponichiwa described in the other thread, and also more shoulder-in right, and maybe counter shoulder-in if I can figure out what rein to do it on...

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:07 pm

demi wrote:I still don't know if I'll meet my goal this period about sending a Tr level test 3 video into VirtualHorseSport.com for non-ranked judging. The right lead canter is finally there on a shorter rein, but I'm not happy enough with it to show.

do you want comments? put your inside seatbone closer to the middle of saddle and have more tone in your outside hip/abs. You are falling in which we all do, this might help your horse lighten the inside shoulder.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
demi wrote:I still don't know if I'll meet my goal this period about sending a Tr level test 3 video into VirtualHorseSport.com for non-ranked judging. The right lead canter is finally there on a shorter rein, but I'm not happy enough with it to show.

do you want comments? put your inside seatbone closer to the middle of saddle and have more tone in your outside hip/abs. You are falling in which we all do, this might help your horse lighten the inside shoulder.

Yes, I’m interested in comments,thanks Rye. I’ll think about more tone in outside hip/abs. As far as putting my inside seatbone closer to the middle of the saddle, it’s really hard because she tightens her back it’s hard to find a consistent connection with my seatbones. It’s a catch-22 for me because if I post to get her to soften her back, I don’t seem to have enough time in the saddle to be able to control where I put my seat bones.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:03 pm

demi wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:

Yes, I’m interested in comments,thanks Rye. I’ll think about more tone in outside hip/abs. As far as putting my inside seatbone closer to the middle of the saddle, it’s really hard because she tightens her back it’s hard to find a consistent connection with my seatbones. It’s a catch-22 for me because if I post to get her to soften her back, I don’t seem to have enough time in the saddle to be able to control where I put my seat bones.

I think if you bring the entire pelvis more to the right it will help.

you can do this posting- just bring the inside hip closer to the midline of the saddle when you are in the up phase. Think of dotting the middle with your seatbone.

Its also not pushing IN to the horse, just moving it over to be more level/symmetrical

Can you tell me more about why it's hard?

Think of pushing your ribs to the right- sometimes the lower pelvis gets more stable when we use the upper core to help stabalize/facilliate the new symmetry.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing well.

Bliss is leaving for trainer's barn at the end of the month, which is exciting. He's going very well these days... lots of work to do but things just keep getting better. Changes are more reliable and are more on the aids now, and we're starting to have some working pirouettes that actually look like working pirouettes. lol. I know this is not nearly as polished as you would see with a pro horse, but I am not a pro so we have some warts.

Evidence, warts and all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s73yMe8NV0

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Rye, I imagine it's hard for Demi because when Rocky tightens her back, it bounces her seat out of the saddle. Ask me how I know :oops: :lol: Anyways, yes, I agree that working from the rising trot to "get" her back would possibly be more effective. I spend a ton of time in rising trot on Rudy on those days when he's feeling particularly spicy.

Demi, what I noticed is that her hind quarters were to the inside of the circle before you ever asked for canter. Have you considered trying renvers on the circle prior to your t-c transition? I find that helps me some days. I gotta say, though, that Rocky is looking very good and I'm impressed how well you are riding her.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Sue B wrote:Rye, I imagine it's hard for Demi because when Rocky tightens her back, it bounces her seat out of the saddle. Ask me how I know :oops: :lol: Anyways, yes, I agree that working from the rising trot to "get" her back would possibly be more effective. I spend a ton of time in rising trot on Rudy on those days when he's feeling particularly spicy.

Demi, what I noticed is that her hind quarters were to the inside of the circle before you ever asked for canter. Have you considered trying renvers on the circle prior to your t-c transition? I find that helps me some days. I gotta say, though, that Rocky is looking very good and I'm impressed how well you are riding her.

yeah, I have a short backed tense horse. I get it. This is more about placing yourself and helping your horse. it takes a lot of experimentation.
This will help the quarters straighten out too, at least I suspect it might!
Nice work as always.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:05 pm

HI Everyone! SO READY to be done with 2020!!
Bravo and I are trying to find our two tempis. Right now I get some to the easy side, an occasional one to the "harder" direction, and today got a string of 4 YAY! HOWEVER, they are often late or together behind.... since I know this could become ingrained, I want to address it.....

ANy suggestions welcome!!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 pm

lorilu wrote:HI Everyone! SO READY to be done with 2020!!
Bravo and I are trying to find our two tempis. Right now I get some to the easy side, an occasional one to the "harder" direction, and today got a string of 4 YAY! HOWEVER, they are often late or together behind.... since I know this could become ingrained, I want to address it.....

Could be a straightness issue (gets together behind because the changes are getting crooked), but my money is on tension. Try opening up the canter into a medium-feeling and popping out a couple 2s from there. If the canter gets tighter/smaller/more on the spot, it's easy to get the legs jumping together behind.

If it's crookedness, putting them on a circle or along the wall may help.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 pm

Sue B wrote:Rye, I imagine it's hard for Demi because when Rocky tightens her back, it bounces her seat out of the saddle. Ask me how I know :oops: :lol: Anyways, yes, I agree that working from the rising trot to "get" her back would possibly be more effective. I spend a ton of time in rising trot on Rudy on those days when he's feeling particularly spicy.

Yes! SueB, that’s exactlly it. She tightens and I get bounced. And thanks for saying she’s looking good, etc!. I got a lot of encouragement from your opinion, especially since you know what it’s like to work with a conformationally challenged horse!

My trainer has had me do a lot of renvers going to the left, and shoulder-in going to the right, but not on a circle, just down the long side. I fries my brain thinking about posting and doing renvers on a circle all at the same time.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:10 pm

Ryeissa wrote:

yeah, I have a short backed tense horse. I get it. This is more about placing yourself and helping your horse. it takes a lot of experimentation.
This will help the quarters straighten out too, at least I suspect it might!
Nice work as always.

I haven’t seen a lot of pictures of Riot, back but I guessed he had a short back because he’s Arab. Anyway, you know what I’m dealing with! I’ve been doing some experimenting lately and did more today. I felt some success and it was an enjoyable ride. I did the rubber band trot, keeping the tempo very steady and then a few stride of lengthening, posting, and then a few strides shortening, sitting. She gives me good feed back when we get together so that helps.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:01 am

Demi and Rosie B, I just want to say what lovely riding in the videos you guys posted. Inspirational. I enjoy seeing what people are working on and like to see good riders working with their horses.

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 am

Ponichiwa wrote:

Could be a straightness issue (gets together behind because the changes are getting crooked), but my money is on tension. Try opening up the canter into a medium-feeling and popping out a couple 2s from there. If the canter gets tighter/smaller/more on the spot, it's easy to get the legs jumping together behind.

Thanks! It just might be tension.....

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:01 am

lorilu wrote:
Ponichiwa wrote:

Thanks! It just might be tension.....

And it may be that you're actually trying a bit too hard. Some horses are really sensitive to your breathing (among other things)-- if this sounds like your guy, you may want to consider trying things like counting out loud (and in a sing-songy way) to make sure you're not holding your breath as you go through the changes. You can practice this outside of 2s to keep the changes nice and big before coming back to the 2s.

Typically the tighter tempi changes (3s, 2s, 1s) highlight baseline canter issues that may not replicable outside of the tempis. However, you can work on whatever the baseline issue is (straightness, impulsion, balance) outside of the tempis and try again.

Good luck! This is fun stuff.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:19 am

Demi, it's looking pretty good! Only little things that you will keep fixing because you can see them if you keep videoing yourself.
One thing that my new instructor has helped me for straightness and not pulling inside reins is holding your reins in one hand (outside hand) and the other hand, touch your sternum. That light touch on your sternum helps to remind you to sit up and sit in the middle.
Send your test in anyway, because there will be things that you know need improving, but there could be extra little stuff that might be helpful, you never know.

Rosie B, the progress with Bliss has been awesome to watch! And as always you both look so elegant.

Lorilu, my guy goes a bit short with his hinds on the 2x changes. I think it gets better with time and practice and I can get greedy and want more than he can give at the time. Also asking for them straight out of a piri helps mine be straight and cleaner.

Here's some vid of our piris. Ding does struggle with them, but holding the reins in one hand stops me fiddling, holding the whip up in front to help me be straight and then directing it over my shoulder to flicker it at him to keep some energy and try and help my body turn with him, has been really helpful.

https://youtu.be/-E3W6pR2gl4

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:18 pm

I'm also impressed with everyone's videos.

I had a better ride on Junior yesterday morning. I think the new saddle is helping us both in terms of me achieving a more correct position and maintaining it and thus giving my horse a better guide for the balance I want. Exercised Ace and he was the usual rocking chair ride. He just cruises along enjoying the attention. I also hopped on Brandon quickly for a 'spin' actually a lollygag around the arena a few times. He was so much better accepting the bit and didn't care when the blowers and hedge trimmers were fired up all at the same time :shock: Fortunately what started out as a beautiful productive morning stayed that way despite all the excitement going on in the neighborhood and yard ;)

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:34 pm

Flight wrote:Demi, it's looking pretty good! Only little things that you will keep fixing because you can see them if you keep videoing yourself.
One thing that my new instructor has helped me for straightness and not pulling inside reins is holding your reins in one hand (outside hand) and the other hand, touch your sternum. That light touch on your sternum helps to remind you to sit up and sit in the middle.
Send your test in anyway, because there will be things that you know need improving, but there could be extra little stuff that might be helpful, you never know.

Rosie B, the progress with Bliss has been awesome to watch! And as always you both look so elegant.

Lorilu, my guy goes a bit short with his hinds on the 2x changes. I think it gets better with time and practice and I can get greedy and want more than he can give at the time. Also asking for them straight out of a piri helps mine be straight and cleaner.

Here's some vid of our piris. Ding does struggle with them, but holding the reins in one hand stops me fiddling, holding the whip up in front to help me be straight and then directing it over my shoulder to flicker it at him to keep some energy and try and help my body turn with him, has been really helpful.

https://youtu.be/-E3W6pR2gl4

wow looks great! Love the one hand and whip idea I will try that.... and doing them out of a piro.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:56 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Demi and Rosie B, I just want to say what lovely riding in the videos you guys posted. Inspirational. I enjoy seeing what people are working on and like to see good riders working with their horses.

Thanks for the kind words, Lipsmacker :) I too, enjoy seeing what people are working on and this board is so good about posting pics and vids. I think we are somewhat unique in that way. We’ve been able to “see” progress over a period of time, and not just all the good stuff, but the various trials everyone goes through. I find inspiration in that.

RosieB, it’s nice to see how you and Bliss are advancing. Thanks for sharing your journey. I cant remember the name of the former Olympic rider you clinic with sometimes, but I remember those videos you shared. I enjoyed the way you, she, and Bliss all worked together.

Flight, of course I liked your piris on Ding. And thanks for the suggestions. I sometimes ride with one hand so I can hold the whip behind me to tap Rocky’s hind legs under. I noticed when I do that, I sit up straighter. I cant remember if I hold the reins with my inside hand or not, but I have it on vid so I’ll look to see. At any rate, I will try holding them in the outside hand and touching my sternum with the other.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:58 pm

It's great seeing (and reading) everyone's progress!

Demi, I really liked the little stretch into the bridle Rocky gives you at about :23 when you pet her. I would try to get a couple little stretches like that in the trot to test the connection and swing in her back before asking for the canter. Short reins without short in the neck is such a tricky thing! If you don't feel up to lateral work on the circle, another thing you can try is riding SI towards the long side, and then ride a corner to the other direction and do your canter depart. So it would be SI right, straighten, ride a corner left onto the long side and canter. My instructor (not the one in the video) has me thinking of stretching within the SI, which helps maintain the throughness (even though we are not actually stretching in a visible way) and keep her going out to the bit.

It's been a rough week or so with Tesla, but I am cautiously optimistic that we turned a corner this morning on the growing roots thing. Hopefully we can get past it at least enough to start thinking about other elements of training.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:15 pm

Managed to get over for a lesson last Saturday and thankfully we were able to actually do stuff. Trainer was suitably impressed with Kora's growth turnaround and said yep typically young horses overnight declines and overnight improvements. We played around the suspension in the trot as the contact was good. We chatted about how to handle the canter and answer was yes if the hind legs run out of quarters then go back to trot and give a break. I was concerned with how and what to push etc so good to get eyes and ideas on that.

I am taking off work tomorrow to be able to do a double-header worth of lessons before she leaves off to Florida next week. With the world as it as *waves wildly in the air* I don't expect that she'll be able to return for periodic winter clinics. I'll at least get some good homework for Kora for that next bit.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:33 am

just chiming in to say i'm really enjoying everyone's posts and videos. We have some lovely horse and rider pairs on this thread!

I always loving seeing updates of Bliss, Rosie. The two of you make such a lovely pair. Any specific plans for Bliss's time with your trainer?

Flight--looks like the piris are really coming along! I'm always so impressed with the clear progress you and your horses make.

Demi--if there's still time to enter the show i think you should! It'll be a good experience to get feedback. And the "horrible right lead" is far from horrible!

khall

Postby khall » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:55 am

Flight those pirouettes are coming great! One handed too!!
Demi your little mare is coming along. She’s just a bit tighter going right I’m wondering if some counter bending would help her right?

Well the trip to the vet today means Rip gets the next month off hard work. Only WIH or walking US. His cicatrix is worse which is impacting his breathing. Back on pred and increasing his throat spray. If that does not work will explore trach:(. Dammit

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:42 pm

Thanks all for the advice, encouragement on my progress with Rocky! VirtualHorseSport.com has virtual shows, but it also lets you ride a test for judging and coaching but not competing against other riders. You can pick the judge. I will aim to record T-3 and get it sent in (for judging and coaching) before the end of next week. Thanks again for the encouragement!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:15 pm

Sorry about Rip, Khall. It's always something, isn't it?

I'm feeling somewhat envious watching all the videos. Everyone is making such good progress. Still, Laddie is healing and should get re-shod next week, so then we can start back to work, I hope.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:49 pm

Sorry about Rip, too. I was so involved in my own riding stuff that I didn't mention it in my last post. Sorry. And yeah, it's a bummer. Hopefully it will be like last time where he got better for quite a spell.

And cheering you on, too, Mountaineer. It's about time for things to settle down for you!

Sooo, today's ride I spent some time riding one handed with my inside hand on my sternum. I got the dreaded right lead from a leg yeild to the wall. :shock: :shock: :shock: Thank you for that bit of advice Flight! I'll post the vid.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 pm

https://youtu.be/YViULxnY0NI

I learned a lot from this. She needs a certain amount of inside rein, but the way I was using it was giving her a crutch to lean on. When I put the reins in the outside hand, it took away her crutch and she had to compensate by straightening out and bringing her inside hind leg more under. My trainer was trying to teach me this concept, but she had me completely letting go of the inside rein, and that through me off balance too much. With both reins in the outside hand, I don't completely lose that inside rein connection, and at the same time I can't over use the inside connectionl.

I plan to ride this way off and on (and video) for a while and see if it allows her to develop more strength, and helps me learn how to use my inside rein better....

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:15 pm

for the first time in a long long time I never ride any of my horses this week. a cumulative of broken fence to repair, vet visit, and really being committed to riding the paying horses first. kimba seemed mightily offended but S and C were fine so long as I have attention. I am curious to see if the week off results in any body stiffness or attitude. lol

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Demi, thank you for sharing video. That's an interesting idea. I might have to try that one out.

Chisamba, hopefully a week off just brings out refreshed horses! I feel like time off can go either way for a horse.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:57 pm

I am on winter strengthening focus. Chelsey (Sibley) came out last month and will be out next week to give me some ideas on how to improve things. One of the big things Im working on is getting Quilla a lot stronger in the p/p so she goes slower and articulates her joints more. The Pivo has helped me so much in seeing that going much less forward in the passage, which is far easier, looks much better.

I also tried some long lining with both of them (Quinn works on p/p all of the time, too) to see if I could get them more to understand to articulate the joints more. Both got it pretty quickly, so I can now basically kind of do it with just the reins. I thought you might like to see how that worked. The Pivo wanted to go and look at the cows in the middle of this, but you can see it got much better by the end, and this was a couple of weeks ago, so I think Quilla as improved a lot since then.

https://youtu.be/PyI-WCCd1ek

And I always do a lot of trail, but we actually had RAIN this week, so the arenas were closed, so I do a lot of strengthening on the trail. We have some super steep hills which are great for walking straight down to strengthen the hind end. I also always ride one and let the other loose, and they are used to races at certain parts, so I work on p/p there with all of that energy before racing off. I've been asking Quilla to work on piaffe o the downhill to see if I can really force the articulation, which I think is working really well. This wasn't the best place to video because of the angle of the sun, but I think it's really helped. And this is kind of a cool video with the long shadow legs.

https://youtu.be/Kmp-FK41hzI

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:57 pm

Demi - nice work! I really like the reins in one hand thing, it helps with straightness. Next step to help is whip held upright. Not sure if you use one though and do it cautiously at first, to see how the horse reacts. But practicing keeping it and you centred and straight upwards, has been helpful for me also.

Not sure if you can see whip....
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 10.43.24 am.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 10.43.24 am.png (98.66 KiB) Viewed 10076 times

Chisamba, I'd be interested to hear how they are after a week off too. I did find when Ding had time off due to abscess, he came back even better, like he'd processed stuff. I have heard this happens, if you put the work in and then leave them for a bit, it can help.

Tanga, that's interesting watching you work with Quilla. I can't imagine letting one of mine loose on the trails though- although mine would just stop and eat and I have to drag them along I think! I do like using the extra energy they have when they are out on a trail ride to play with p/p and for ding he can do his tempi changes better (although sometimes with squeals!)

blob

Postby blob » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:19 am

always interesting how different horses do with time off. MM does really well with it--she might be a tid stiff the first ride back but in general she's fresh and ready to work. RP is a mess with time off--even giving him one day off results in a very crooked, unfocused, and tense tense tense pony.

Speaking of time off, my two are still mostly out of work related to my injury + work + life things. Hopefully I can get them back in work next week.

Khall, hate hearing that news about Rip. Hope you have fast improvement.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:39 am

Well on the topic of how horses handle time off, I experienced that while I was out to work a family member's horse. The owner is pregnant and just leased him out to a young teen. The teen is a good rider but the lease is very new (like two weeks in ) and unfortunately the girl leasing had to quarantine. The horse then had his hocks injected.

He had a week off and the owner lunged him on Wednesday or Thursday and asked if I could ride him once before the teen comes back to start riding again. I've known this horse for years. I planned on lunging for a few minutes and a little ride after.

This horse has always been very opinionated and pushy. It's not been addressed very well over the years. Him nipping, walking past or into people with his shoulder is a regular thing. Today he was full of himself and obnoxious. I I couldn't even get him into the barn to even begin to tack up because he was rearing, spinning around, striking and trying to bite. The barn was full of lesson kids so we just turned around and I lunged him in another area, away from all the kids. I didn't ride like planned!

This horse just needs to be in work to maintain some manners although to be honest I always feel like he's borderline! I think a week off and a move in horses (he's alone in a pasture now) just made him like a bomb going off.

I think she might need a trainer to help with the manners if a teen will be leasing him. It was not safe behavior! And a little rediculous for a 12 year old horse. But there was multiple reasons I guess. He needs to not be pastured alone because I think that was a trigger, looking for his former buddy.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 am

Flight, your whip is so vertical it blends into the corrugated-iron (?) background!! Lovely photo :-)

6 weeks on from my back injury, I'm fit enough to have done a couple of rides, but Connor has a swollen knee, so am riding the 'spare' horse (my partner's 2nd one), and mostly at walk. Trot (rising) is OK, but haven't tried a canter yet. Trying to keep motivated to do my physio exercises, and doing fairly well so far.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's updates!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Great to read everyone's progress and quick recovery vibes to all those two-legged and four-legged who are healing. I was going to have a lesson today and had been working hard on being able to show some improvement; but, I found out that my trailer brakes are toasting my tires. Not only do I have to have the brakes repaired but I have to replace all 4 tires that are only 6 months old. Bummer. Not sure when we'll be road ready again. I don't think Junior's complaining though because it means more trail riding and it's a beautiful day for doing just that. Hope to get Brandon doing trot under saddle soon. He's been walking under saddle and accepting contact and seat aids pretty well for his age. We rode yesterday with other horses under saddle going around him too which didn't phase him one bit. I'm really pleased with his overall progress. Now that we're back down to three boys it will be interesting to see how well Brandon handles being left alone while we trail ride the other two. He's a bit more of a nervous nelly in those types of situation just based on watching his reactions when there's 'action' involving other horses over at my neighbor's. Still he seems to exude more than enough confidence when he's with 'his people'.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:55 pm

So, I am all moved into the farm. Miro had a solid week off, not that he minded lol. He's starting to make some movement towards understanding the half steps.

Blurry passage (really low light because I refused to turn on the lights)
IMG_5540.jpg
IMG_5540.jpg (111.15 KiB) Viewed 9972 times

Bit less blurry half steps)
IMG_5538.jpg
IMG_5538.jpg (122.51 KiB) Viewed 9972 times

Ollie approves of the view
Ollie.jpg
Ollie.jpg (92.49 KiB) Viewed 9972 times

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Dresseur Nice. Looks like he's doing a good job! You start with passage? I always found my horses understand the concept of piaffe first better, so that's interesting. Or maybe Miro is just way more talented!

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Tanga, there's a post somewhere where I talk about that, but I can't find it lol. So, this was definitely unorthodox, we did start with passage with him. The reason being that he couldn't figure out how to just trot small. So, we were missing all of those gears - and, because I've done a majority of the training on him, I didn't realize that it was a hole, we just assumed that he'd find it easy. So, the passage started as just, trot small, and he started offering it. He shows a huge aptitude for it, so we pulled all passage until we sort out the piaffe - which he just. doesn't. get. He's starting to diagonalize, but it will take a long time for the piaffe to make sense to him.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:30 am

I wish the duck I could stay upright in my pirouette. aaaaaaargj

khall

Postby khall » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:03 am

Just a stunning ride on Joplin today. She’s still green but we are figuring out each other and to be honest she rides like a horse with way more training. That Iberian maneuverability yet she also has power and scope. Cedar is wanting me to move between the two so she doesn’t just stay in that power mode all the time. So excited and my friend who is helping was giggling because of Joplin’s movement.

Dresseur M looks awesome. Glad you’ve made the move ok.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:28 pm

You and me both, Chisamba lol! Particularly the right piri. Although, I've found that every time I'm not staying upright, it's because Miro or whoever else has gone a bit behind my leg.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:18 pm

Queso sustained an injury to his girth area about a week ago, so saddling up for riding has been out of the picture. But I have been toodling around the trails bareback and yesterday even got some decent work in. I'm so glad Queso's such a good-hearted little guy: he's game for whatever even if the rules change. Sure, let's go for a stroll around the property bareback (or in a halter if I'm feeling very lazy). Sure, let's try to do some real work without a saddle. Happy to give it a shot. Really refreshing attitude.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:41 am

So awesome work from the spotted wonder. Told I should think about baby baby half steps and canter piris (very "schooling" just a few steps). He is trucking along and all good news from those who have seen us recently. I knew I had a nice horse, but he is even nicer than I realized.... :)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:32 am

So much going on.

Ponichiwa...Queso sounds like such a cool dude.
Everyone seems to be making such good progress.

Kyra has been getting a little work and the new saddle is feeling better all the time. She works very well in it as far as I can tell. Although, today, right lead canter was a hot mess...I feel you Demi ;) . I have not cantered her under saddle in about 3 weeks as my back wasn't liking that motion much. I think that was part of the problem today. She just got really tense and just wanted to lean on the bit and go and yes..in more of a pogo stick fashion. Not to the "deer on crack" canter that my former instructor used to call her canter back in the early days, but definitely tense. In watching her shadow, it didn't look bad but it felt :P and that really didn't humor my back. I finally got her to the drier end of the arena and put her on about a 12 m circle and found if I literally stood up a bit and moved my butt over to the right, she relaxed a bit. My back/SI is being tight on the left side and I suspect it is pulling me off to the left which is not nice to her balance. I also was riding the rail...the middle of the arena was too wet and gummy so I suspect she also had a little exuberance going on too. Other than that, it was a very nice ride. Trot work was lovely and soft and we worked on SI and HI. Left lead canter was nice because it was straight.

I usually do her Spanish walk work after our ride and today, I was talking to another boarder and wasn't paying attention to my positioning and yep...she nailed me on the thigh. Absolutely not her fault and I treated her as such. I didn't reward her for that lift but certainly didn't punish her for it. After a few seconds to say OWWW and that is going to leave a mark, I regrouped and got 4 consecutive steps with alternating legs. I think by Spring, if I can get some help, I think I can start asking under saddle. I do have a lovely goose egg on my thigh but as my father used to tell me all the time...it will feel better when it quits hurting :mrgreen: .

I have been trying to get her on her Surefoot pads a couple times a week. I feel like they have really made a difference in her feet. She has dinky feet that are narrow and with a skinny frog that we have trouble in the winter keeping the central sulcus open in the wetter and muddy conditions. She never has had thrush but I would prefer she not get it either and no air gets in there when it is just a little itty bitty crack. Since I started using the pads, it has opened the sulcus by a good 1/4inch and this weird curl in her heel laterally on the fronts (she toes out a bit) has disappeared. They really provide a really different consistency than the ground. She will only stand on them for a couple minutes but they seem to do big things.

I have been varying her work as much as I can. Winter is usually quite a bit of down time for us despite having an indoor arena. Our indoor is just not great. Usually very dusty. If you water it when it is cold it freezes as the building isn't insulated. I have tried for years to get the B.O. to treat it with MgCl including paying for a good portion of the material but to no avail. It isn't super deep but deeper than Kyra likes. She seems to struggle with under saddle work in there so I don't ride her a lot in there. I am sure outside will become unrideable with the next good rain or snow storm so my goal will be to give her some sort of exercise over the winter (liberty, free lunging, lunging, in-hand, etc). I have recently done a couple liberty sessions in the indoor and she has been pretty good and actually listened to me so we goof around with some of that and give her brain a break from dressage work. Then, when the weather breaks in the spring, she will be ready to do some fitness work and maybe we can actually do something next summer?

I really enjoy reading of everyone's trials, tribulations and progress. Happy riding all.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

demi

Postby demi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:..... Although, today, right lead canter was a hot mess...I feel you Demi ;) . I have not cantered her under saddle in about 3 weeks as my back wasn't liking that motion much. I think that was part of the problem today. She just got really tense and just wanted to lean on the bit and go and yes..in more of a pogo stick fashion. Not to the "deer on crack" canter that my former instructor used to call her canter back in the early days, but definitely tense.

...Left lead canter was nice because it was straight....

Susan

Thanks for the commiseration!! I am always encouraged by your journey because you’ve had so much physical stuff to deal with. I like that other “older ones” are still keeping at it. In one of these threads, someone mentioned that not giving up is one of the keys to dressage...or something like that. Anyway, sometimes it’s so hard to keep going on, but I find this particular group of dressage enthusiasts very encouraging.

Oh, and about the straightness!!! I realized after playing around with Flight’s one-handed, whip balancing exercise, that my own lack of straightness is my main problem. I am working on it. And I’m blessed and thankful that I am still able to work on it!

Happy holidays everyone!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:23 pm

It’s funny, but I’ve had my own straightness under really good control at several times during my long riding life. But for one reason or another, I forget about it. There are so many things involved in training, and for lack of talent (or brains or coordination, or what ever!!)I have to put a lot of focus on one. thing. At. A. Time. And by the time I “get” one thing, I’ve lost another. I am realizing though, that once I’ve learned something, it’s much easier to get it back after I lose it. And especially if I’ve had to get something back more than once. One day I hope everything will come together at the same time.

Return to “Dressage Training”