Double bridles

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Double bridles

Postby khall » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:54 am

I’ve had Rip in and out of a double for awhile. I quit when he started with his upper airway issues way back in 2015 then would put him back in when he seemed good but backed way off these last couple of years. Last late summer he had more issues with upper airway and he can be silly about the double. It cranks him up for some reason. I decided to pull it out again and just play with it. I cannot just leave the curb hanging he hates the curb moving around. The problem I have is he wants to curl. That’s what he would do long ago in a snaffle but not a problem for awhile. But the double today brought it back out again. I just would lift him up and out with the snaffle only not engaging the curb over and over and he got better during the ride

What issues have those if you familiar with the double had and what have you done to help them adjust. I’ve ridden in doubles with other horses both mine and those ice lessoned on. Rip has been the most bothered

Flight

Re: Double bridles

Postby Flight » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:45 am

I love riding in curbs now. I've been taught that you don't hang onto them and its a roll and release type action, so I love the lightness and finesse with this action - when I get it right!

My 2 are quite different. Norsey will release well but tends to curl so the curb is quite loose and I need the snaffle to lift him up and out, but in just a snaffle he tends to brace on it. So the curb is great for getting that release when I need it.

Ding tends to hold and brace against the contact - probably due to my old riding style. I've just borrowed quite a long curb and attached the snaffle reins to the top of the curb and it works really well. With the reins here you can lift the bit up so it hangs neutral in the mouth and the longer curb on him gets a much better release.

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 8.33.08 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 8.33.08 pm.png (156.04 KiB) Viewed 2964 times

blob

Postby blob » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:06 pm

Khall--have you experimented with different types of curbs?

A friend/trainer of mine had a horse in training that would also get very cranked up with the double, finally they found that a curb with rotating/sliding shanks made a huge different. Not sure if that would work with Rip since he doesnt' like curb movement. But I actually wonder if with the sliding/rotating shanks actually result in less movement in the actual bit in the mouth since the mobility of the shanks absorbs the motion?

I've also seen some horses that are much better with a longer shank, which is supposed to allow for my subtly of movement in the curb.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:34 pm

How long is your curb? I went to the shortest shank I could find on both of mine, and found out the lighter I go, the lighter both go, even my Mack truck horse. Sometimes the longer they are, the worse they can get. (Flight's is along shank.) I also have a little fatter snaffle on both.

Quilla, the older one doing GP (WHEN I can remember the test!) can get curled in the double. I ride her a lot in the snaffle, but she can get away from me and get above it, so I go back and forth. I really tried to change what I do when she curls. It's too easy to lift her up, and it doesn't correct the problem. Instead of doing that, I ALWAYS ask for more from behind to push her up under herself and bring the front up. Have you tried that?

khall

Postby khall » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:12 am

I’ve tried two different curbs on him but never a sliding shank. I’ll have to look at one. He’s in a pretty short simple curb with a fatter bradoon that is double jointed line his regular snaffle. He hated the first curb I tried which was longer shank and angled.

Tanga I found the combination of sending him forward and up with the snaffle helped. He was much better by the end of the ride but definitely goes differently in double than snaffle.

Flight that is an interesting curb. Almost reminds me of a saddle horse curb. I think a longer curb would not be good for him. I do need to ride him in it more so we are both more comfortable with it

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:03 am

I dont understand the angled curbs, wouldn't that put the port continually into their palete? When a normal/straight curb is left to hang vertical it will be fairly neutral until you pull the rein to torque the mouthpiece.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:57 pm

It’s designed so that the port when the bit is engaged does not hit the palate and gives toung relief.

https://www.dressageextensions.com/ns-d ... -0BR10078/

This is similar though more extreme to what I have but don’t use. Rip hated it. So I went back to a simple low port curb with shorter shanks.
Last edited by khall on Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:00 pm

I agreevwith flight, when left vertical the port should not engage the palate

Return to “Dressage Training”