Second trot

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Second trot

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:28 am

Tristan Tucker recently added some content on producing second trot. He starts out with sort of an in-hand half-steps approach, then starts to ask for the steps in small increments in the trot (not half steps obviously, but more articulation and cadence with the hinds). There is a 7 day free trial available now where I think it is included in the riding module. I just watched the videos on the hind end part, and there is also a front end part, as he says some horses need more work on freeing the front end vs. engaging the hind (but I imagine they all need both to some degree).

https://www.trtmethod.com/training/sign-up/
Keep calm and canter on.

Boudicea
Novice

Postby Boudicea » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:53 pm

I usually don't like to critique videos but I keep thinking if that before/after video of the chestnut was my lusitano I would be murdered for either trot shown. So much tension in that horse disguised by an active hind leg in my opinion. I didn't like before or after. But maybe horse is green and just needs to get more through with more time

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:09 am

StraightForward wrote:Tristan Tucker recently added some content on producing second trot. He starts out with sort of an in-hand half-steps approach, then starts to ask for the steps in small increments in the trot (not half steps obviously, but more articulation and cadence with the hinds). There is a 7 day free trial available now where I think it is included in the riding module. I just watched the videos on the hind end part, and there is also a front end part, as he says some horses need more work on freeing the front end vs. engaging the hind (but I imagine they all need both to some degree).

https://www.trtmethod.com/training/sign-up/

how can I access the videos? All I get is a log in/sign up page....?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:20 am

You would need to do the free trial if it's still being offered. That's why I tried to describe generally what he was demonstrating.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:32 am

Tanga wrote:
The other one with JJT. Ugh. It might be my aversion to calling CDK a "dressage master" but everything about the way she rode that I did not like. Clamping the thighs to get the horse to sit? Maybe she is a tiny woman on a huge horse, but if I did that, my horses would be like blocks of wood. All that does is interfere with all of their movement, and sitting down hard into the back drives their back down, not up. I think of shifting their weight back to the hind end and lifting their front by more activity and spring behind so the back can come up.

I am very very averse to trampoline in a horses back. I so agree with you.

I remember Ernst Bachinger saying something like you must get the back legs to get the energy forward or else you are like those irritating people who squeeze always the toothpaste in the middle. the tube gets all crumpled and distorted and some of the paste in the bottom you can never retrieve. I am.paraphrasing of course and some people have so much toothpaste they don't care if half of it is left in the tube ( hugely talented horses,) but my lovely grey mare needs all her toothpaste . :D

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:47 am

I can actually feel that squeeze in the middle of the toothpaste tube effect when I get it wrong on my horses! That is just what it's like :lol:

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:36 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Tanga wrote:
The other one with JJT. Ugh. It might be my aversion to calling CDK a "dressage master" but everything about the way she rode that I did not like. Clamping the thighs to get the horse to sit? Maybe she is a tiny woman on a huge horse, but if I did that, my horses would be like blocks of wood. All that does is interfere with all of their movement, and sitting down hard into the back drives their back down, not up. I think of shifting their weight back to the hind end and lifting their front by more activity and spring behind so the back can come up.

I am very very averse to trampoline in a horses back. I so agree with you.

I remember Ernst Bachinger saying something like you must get the back legs to get the energy forward or else you are like those irritating people who squeeze always the toothpaste in the middle. the tube gets all crumpled and distorted and some of the paste in the bottom you can never retrieve. I am.paraphrasing of course and some people have so much toothpaste they don't care if half of it is left in the tube ( hugely talented horses,) but my lovely grey mare needs all her toothpaste . :D

Exactly. I was kind of doing that into one of my forays into improving, and someone noted it looked like I was driving my horses' backs down and they were really stressed by it. As soon as I stopped, they got better.

And, exactly with the toothpaste. Every time I find myself trying to fix it front the front, I have to remind myself I need to push it up from the back. One of the new things I do with my horses is say "up" as I do that and teach them the "trick" of coming up in front as I push it from behind, so we both remember the concept of the push raising the front, not dropping and gaining speed.

Return to “Dressage Training”