What offbreed would most interest you as a dressage horse?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: What offbreed would most interest you as a dressage horse?

Postby khall » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:36 pm

Good information Kelo. I really like that splashy horse that blob posted the dark bay josette is a nice one too but the splashy one ticks my boxes a bit more. As for genetic issues AQHA is doing well ( much better than most registries) at weeding out the bloodlines known for throwing genetic diseases. The 5 panel is found in most stock bred registries.

I know there are ranch bred QHs to be found and I know a trainer who deals with that type of stock so would have a line on one if I want to pursue it at some point.

DH and my future depends on where DS ends up. DS will be here in GA for at least another 4-5 years finishing up with his education (eventually PhD in engineering or some sort of beyond me learning!). Then it depends on where DS ends up. His specialty is robotics and autonomous cars so possibilities are FL/NASA Austin, TX which is another silicone valley or Tesla in CA. I don’t want to be too far away from DS definitely not on the other side of the country and DH will be ready for retirement so we will pick up and move to be closer to DS. We are 2 hours away right now which is fine.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:42 pm

I have a friend who owns one of those big blue QH's purchased out of Montana. Super trainability and power for days, but built like a brick s***house! She uses him for Reining/Working Cowhorse as well as Cowboy Shooting. She bought him as a long yearling, trained him up mostly herself and he will do anything for her (but definitely NOT a dressage horse.) :D

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:57 pm

Ok - maybe I'm wrong but I thought this guy was a rare find especially on the east coast. He also sold within 3-4 days of posting advertisement. I really liked him even if he might have been a wee bit big - wide for me. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYoTpFH ... e=youtu.be

https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2187041.html

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/peppys+nestea+doc

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:33 pm

I'd be all over that horse, Josette, too! He looks like a lovely example of the type of horse I'm talking about.

If you check that pedigree, you'll see he has both Dry Doc and Mr San Peppy which I have mentioned I'd seek in a dressage QH prospect.

He also has Poco Pine way back, which is a classic quality bloodline, but in the 3d generation he has Beckwith Dun. That's where the dun comes from, obviously, but that stallion is a cornerstone sire for the Crago family in SD. That family has been ranching and breeding horses since the late 1800s (Beckwith was a family name). They have some of the prettiest and big-bodied horses I've ever seen. Most of their horses either stay on ranches or are used for roping or barrel racing, but they're just gorgeous animals.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:30 pm

nice! I would ride that one! :)

Return to “Dressage Training”