Riding Friesians, any tips?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Riding Friesians, any tips?

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:18 am

So I'm currently riding an adorable Fresian cross. I've never ridden one before, very different from riding Thoroughbreds and lighter type WB's!

Does anyone have experience with this type? He's got a huge, cresty neck and back like a couch. It's my understanding that with the Fresian conformation, you have to watch to not get them too short in the neck. Any tips for this with special consideration with this conformation?

Moutaineer

Re: Riding Friesians, any tips?

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:45 am

I board in a barn full of them and have ridden a few. Very generous, kind, sweet horses, tend to be comedians and energy conservationists. They tend to be low on stamina, particularly as young horses, and do better with frequent short rides. Watch them in the summer as they can overheat easily in our desert climate.

They tend to be very adept at cheating in the connection so they look cute but there's nothing there, which is disconcerting after a warmblood, so you do have to push them out to your hand. I've noticed that they start the youngsters fairly long and low and round and bring them up over time--lots of stretching and gymnastic work, but short rides as I said before (I don't mean being drilled in rollkur, but stretching over the back and round at the trot and forward canter particularly to develop the bridge of back muscles.)

I like them. I don't particularly want to own all that hair, but they are pleasant to be around.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:46 am

Moutaineer wrote:I board in a barn full of them and have ridden a few. Very generous, kind, sweet horses, tend to be comedians and energy conservationists. They tend to be low on stamina, particularly as young horses, and do better with frequent short rides. Watch them in the summer as they can overheat easily in our desert climate.

They tend to be very adept at cheating in the connection so they look cute but there's nothing there, which is disconcerting after a warmblood, so you do have to push them out to your hand. I've noticed that they start the youngsters fairly long and low and round and bring them up over time--lots of stretching and gymnastic work, but short rides as I said before (I don't mean being drilled in rollkur, but stretching over the back and round at the trot and forward canter particularly to develop the bridge of back muscles.)

I like them. I don't particularly want to own all that hair, but they are pleasant to be around.

Seems like a fair assessment! I wouldn't own one- just too wide for me and too laid back! But I'm still enjoying the chance to ride one for the time being :)

I did notice that people do like to warm them up long and lower or even a bit deep.

I really like my horse's a tad longer in the neck and slightly in front of the vertical. So this type is different for me. Seems like they might be tricker to get correct in the connection.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:54 am

To generalize, there are two types of fresians: the heavier draftier type and the lighter type that often has a longer, neck. The latter is a difficult neck to ride because it is both upright and long. The former can also be a difficult neck because it is cresty.

Riding them long and low is common to get them to stretch and open through the throat latch. But as for getting the correct connection, the correct connection will be about feeling the thoroughness and having ability to move the neck laterally and longitudinally ad that might feel and look different than you're used to.

I know one that although on the lazy side, can also get anxious and worry. Which is also an interesting dynamic. I don't know if this is a breed tendency. But with this gelding it's important to get him forward, but also to get him relaxed so you can't ride him like a traditionally lazy horse.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:24 pm

This guy is a cross so he's a very long, cresty but with a higher set neck. He's definitely on the lazy side. No tension so far but I'm told he gets tense with a whip, so it's suggested I use spurs (not my first choice but it's okay.)

khall

Postby khall » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:25 pm

This mare is a Friesian cross. I liked her when I watched this kur and Cedar said they had her in training for a bit and she really liked her. Cool mare

https://fb.watch/3qETEuGsj3/

I like some of the crosses like the Georgia Grandes or crosses onto PREs/Lusitanos. I’ve seen one full blood that I would have taken home. I’m not a fan of the feathers and living in the south would be difficult for a full friesian. They are similar to the Iberians in that they can fake the look without truly being connected.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 pm

Khall that mare is cool! I know I see a lot praise and also critical remarks of that pair. She looks like she has a lot of heart! And he looks like a great rider. I've heard good things about him as a trainer too.

It's always a good experience to ride something different :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:33 am

I've got 2 friesian crosses and I've ridden/known about 6 or so now. They do like to raise their heads and necks and contract/curl the neck short and then push through the shoulders/sternum. You do need to ask them to reach to the contact, but I don't think riding them deep and round helps them lift through the base of the neck, so more a forward down and out (not round) if they are lifting too high.

I've found with mine that short bursts of activity is better rather than endless trotting or cantering around. Mine were the lazier types though. I tend to do a movement once or twice, then have a little break. Then try it again etc. They seem to stay more motivated.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:22 am

Flight, that makes sense to me about riding FDO than deep (which I prefer not to do.)

I'll have to get some video sometime of me on him to see how I'm doing with it.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:02 am

I was supposed to have a lesson on the Fresian cross today but things were chaotic on the barn/trainer's end. So she let me just ride him for exercise today. He was pretty spooky, we've had nasty weather so I think he was pent up with energy.

My biggest struggle is having him behind the leg and BTV. I wish I had video (hopefully next week) but I just check us out in the mirror when I can. Today was perhaps not the best day to judge since he was a bit tense and stiff. But I ride him in spurs, which is another struggle. I'm used to riding TB's and WB's, no spurs, make be a whip if needed. So using spurs is harder for me, mentally. I really prefer a whip but I'm told he gets very tense with whips.

I'm linking a video of a different horse and rider (NOT me.) This is similar to what I feel he wants to do. The trainer tells me it's mostly a conformation thing but I still would like to try and get him IVF and longer in the neck. Obviously getting him on the aids is the first step. I usually have no issues with horses going BTV, this is newer territory.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:02 am

https://youtu.be/r8qZDbRF4x0 here's the video (not me or the horse, just similar)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:44 am

Really, I do believe it is largely conformational, and if you are getting this out of a horse you are riding once a week, I'd feel pretty happy about it if I were you. Be nice to see it a bit longer, but the horse seems happy and comfortable and certainly not behind the leg.

If you don't feel comfortable with this way of going, a Friesian is probably not the horse for you--which is fine!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 am

Moutaineer wrote:Really, I do believe it is largely conformational, and if you are getting this out of a horse you are riding once a week, I'd feel pretty happy about it if I were you. Be nice to see it a bit longer, but the horse seems happy and comfortable and certainly not behind the leg.

If you don't feel comfortable with this way of going, a Friesian is probably not the horse for you--which is fine!

Just to be clear- video isn't me, but a horse that I feel is going similarly. I'm hoping to get a little video next week to see how we are doing.

It's definitely SUCH a different type for me to ride!! Not something I'd like to own I do not think. But I think there is value in riding different types. And maybe I need to adjust my expectations as well...

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:56 am

The one I'm riding definitely doesn't start out in front of the leg LOL

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:19 am

Pretty much every ride I have on mine I have to remind him to go. But I keep it short and sweet. I don't expect him to charge around for 45mins, it's hard work for them. But it is a regular reminder, and I gee him up to make him feel 'hot'. Yes, sometimes he gets tense and I have to wait for that to pass and be a bit more gentle next time.

You have to be really committed to keeping them in front of your leg. Be really conscious of not nagging at all with your legs. To teach them be sooo clear. Follow the movement with your hips but legs off. Let them slow down, then touch with your legs and if they don't respond to that i use a whip and go tap tap tap or I woosh it around until they run off and then as soon as they do leave them alone. You might have to give him a scratch with your spurs. If you kick with spurs or your leg (like a thump) I find they just brace their guts (so would I!!) to protect themselves and then go but resisting. I swoosh with the whip, and I've used the barrel racing slap over the neck with the end of the reins, makes an impact and causes them to go. And then big reward and pat. A couple of those and they get it, but you have to be really consistent and don't let yourself nag.

The outline/frame, again it takes time and consistency to get them to go where you want them. Try giving more rein and see what happens, try a little upwards lift to lift the nose out, you do have to play with that a bit to see what works.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:35 pm

Flight, thanks!! He does sound a bit familiar in his mentality. I think I'll have the trainer check with me/break down how I'm using spurs. I'm not much of a kicker but honestly I'm not super familiar with riding with a spur!! And I'm short and this guy of course has a large barrel. Just makes where my leg hangs a bit tricky sometimes. Maybe I can try a whip. Even if he's tense, see if we can work through it or something.

He's a little out of shape too, he was just rehabbed from a foot issue so perhaps we both just need time. I do think yesterday seemed worse, but he was just a goofball spooking and a bit stiff from a week off from frigid temps. I'm going to really try to get video in next week's lesson.

I just wanted to say, Flight, that you ride your horse's so well! You are an inspiration.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:03 pm

I've also had mine since he was 9months old, he is now 12 and I've done all the training - so I know him very well!!
I've also found friesian x (have only ridden one pure) do have a spooky side. People think they are slow and dull, but every single one that i've known will have a spooky element in them.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 am

Flight wrote:I've also had mine since he was 9months old, he is now 12 and I've done all the training - so I know him very well!!
I've also found friesian x (have only ridden one pure) do have a spooky side. People think they are slow and dull, but every single one that i've known will have a spooky element in them.

I can see that. This guy I think is more of that carriage type horse build. So he tends to want to be hollow in his back. I would assume that adds to occasionally tenseness and spooks!

Return to “Dressage Training”