Downhill Morgan showing in Intermediate 1

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Downhill Morgan showing in Intermediate 1

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:03 pm

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/mo ... -no-limits

I just had to share this. A small Morgan, bred to be a trail horse, super downhill and showing in Intermediate 1. I just love reading these. It gives me hope for my more modest goals/modest budget.

I know many of you have also done similar things! I think it's so inspiring!

StraightForward

Re: Downhill Morgan showing in Intermediate 1

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:16 pm

Haha, I just.posted that in the off breed thread! Nice to read on Friday morning.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:46 pm

That's awesome!

demi

Postby demi » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:13 pm

Great story thanks for posting! That little guy is seriously down hill! And yet got 75% at first level. He had so much trouble with the right lead they had the vet look at him. Very encouraging.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:29 pm

Give me a horse that tries any day over one with all the talent in the world who argues or is so hot not fun to ride.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:36 pm

I like the part where she says he thinks he's already a GP horse, so they treat him as such!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:46 pm

I found a little video of him. How adorable! It's always so cool to see such average horses doing upper level stuff!
https://youtu.be/eQZnzbwsjqo

demi

Postby demi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:38 am

What an awesome pair! Thanks for finding that, Lips. I was wondering what he looked like in action. I am just amazed that he carries himself so well being so downhill. Not only a credit to his temperament, but such a good job the trainer is doing. Love it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:45 am

Thanks for the video link, I'm going to save it to refer back to later. So hard to find videos of "normal" horses doing upper level work.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:48 am

What they are good at is riding an accurate test. He’s not flashy but by jolly they hit the mark every movement with the exception of the R CP where his struggle shows. That is how you get the scores on an average moving horse is with accuracy. Nicely done.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:09 pm

He is a gem. I've seen other video clips of this pair in the past and his work ethic has always shown through demonstrating his heart and head are the most important parts. While I don't advocate breeding for or buying a downhill horse for dressage I can attest to the fact that 'downhill conformation' isn't the end all be all crippling factor so many have been led to believe it is. I've had two who were shorter in front than in back; but, have successfully shown through Prix St. George. Monty still easily (and correctly) handles the two tempis at age 22 and isn't even a wee bit lame/off/needing of maintenance. Work ethic, heart, and a well built hind end can definitely see a pair through FEI.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:49 pm

I agree that they ride a very accurate test. And even though he's not flashy, I think it's pretty harmonious to watch too! To me it was really just pleasant!

Exvet, I totally thought of you and Monty when I saw this!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:12 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:I agree that they ride a very accurate test. And even though he's not flashy, I think it's pretty harmonious to watch too! To me it was really just pleasant!

Exvet, I totally thought of you and Monty when I saw this!

Monty, aka Monster, is still such a ham. He's sure everyone is there just to be his minions. At the end of my lesson last Sunday, I dismounted and was holding on to Junior as I talked to my friend/instructor about the game plan for the show tomorrow. We were discussing where I need to NOT lose points as in accuracy, accuracy, accuracy she then stated that I needed to bring back my 'signature movement' which are the medium gaits, especially the medium trot. She swears that is 'my sweet spot' when it comes to training. Well just as she finished her statement Monty started whinnying, shaking his head and banging on the bars of his stall all the while looking right at us. We both were laughing so hard because it was as if Monty wanted to help me 'show 'em how it's supposed to be done.' I'm so fortunate that the person who bought Monty keeps him there because it gives me the opportunity whenever I am there to give him a big 'ole' hug and thank him for all the good rides he gave me.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:17 pm

Exvet, sounds like Monty and this Morgan in the article are similar personalities ;)

It's good to remember what you have accomplished and how you did it! No doubt that you will get there with Junior too.

This article and your stories with your horses, remind to ride something you enjoy. I'm a sucker for temperament. It's absolutely not the only part, but it's a big part. I think being able to really ride the horse you have is such a huge part. Not the only part. But if you have a horse with gorgeous conformation/movement but don't feel you can really ride or work with it, you probably won't get very far! Especially for an amateur like me.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Exvet, sounds like Monty and this Morgan in the article are similar personalities ;)

It's good to remember what you have accomplished and how you did it! No doubt that you will get there with Junior too.

This article and your stories with your horses, remind to ride something you enjoy. I'm a sucker for temperament. It's absolutely not the only part, but it's a big part. I think being able to really ride the horse you have is such a huge part. Not the only part. But if you have a horse with gorgeous conformation/movement but don't feel you can really ride or work with it, you probably won't get very far! Especially for an amateur like me.

This is so true. We were just talking this morning on how Ace is a horse we could never replace in the sense that you cannot beat his great mind, how he takes care of his riders, or the fact that he is just so sweet. It's hard to believe that he turns 10 this year; but, thankfully he still has many years left in him. My SO, not a horse person, goes trail riding with me 3 times a week because this horse simply puts a smile on his face each and every time he interacts with him. There are times he's got the horses in the barn to tack up before I've even put both boots on because he looks forward to trail riding THIS horse. Junior, of course, is the quintessential example of riding what you love and loving what you ride [for me] that makes the journey of dressage worthwhile. I've owned and ridden some of those 'perfect' dressage horses and honestly I couldn't 'give them away' fast enough.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:37 pm

It really is about having fun! Or for most amateurs anyways. Yes, I have goals, because part of the fun is progressing and becoming the best rider I can be. And to do that, I really most enjoy my horse. Even if it's not other's cup of tea.

I really love hearing and seeing people enjoy the journey with their horses. It just puts a smile on my face! This sport/hobby/passion can be SO fun if we appreciate the journey.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:40 pm

I feel so very blessed with Joplin in that she is such a lovely horse to work with plus she finds the work much easier than my other horses. She also is so comfortable to ride! I’ve definitely had the challenging one with Rip but he’s taught me much during those challenges. I will continue to work with him for as long as I can to learn from the big beast. But Joplin just puts a smile on my face every single day. She’s such a pretty horse too with the kindest of eyes.

This little Morgan is just a gem as I know Monty is as well. When they come to the arena every day ready to put their all in makes it worth the while.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:43 pm

I sent this article to my mum who is a long-time lover of Morgans and had her beloved old-line mare almost 28 years.

I agree that the ride is harmonious and a lot of it is the willingness and partnership exhibit. That is so huge to me. Such a great story, too! It's very cool that there are folks on this board with similar achievements and stories about their horse/breed of choice and deep training and showing adventures. I truly respect that and love seeing many different kinds of horses succeed and show off their training.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:42 pm

Total credit to anyone getting out there and doing I1, It was a very nice test!

Return to “Dressage Training”