Hard to sit trots

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Hard to sit trots

Postby khall » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:27 pm

Demi you and Rocky are such a great pair! She’s such an active worker bee you can see how much she tries for you.

I’ve thought a good bit about hard to sit trots. Out of all the horses I’ve owned and ridden Rip is up there in difficulty. His is a combination of wanting to not be engaged not wanting to stay active and yes he has a bit short pasterns. I think the biggest though is the not wanting to stay engaged. I’ve been playing with a shorter more engaged and active trot and that is fairly easy to sit.

I’ll have to get video of Gaila. Her trot is so smooth to sit that it is easier than posting. She’s full sister to Rip. But she has a much better neck placement and she finds engagement easier in the trot. She still would rather not be active but that does not affect her sitting trot.

Joplin has that wave in her back stays active and engaged and has longer pasterns. So while she is pretty powerful to sit on it is not difficult at all. I think there are lots of elements that go into whether a trot is easy to sit or not and the more negative elements there are the harder to sit. Rip has most of them. One thing he does not do though is get tight in his back.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:46 am

It’s been almost a month now and the sitting trot is getting reliable. I’ve had several horses where sitting trot was never an issue. Rocky is so different! But being able to have her carry me in a good sitting trot now, without losing energy or connection and also not getting tight has made a big difference in the lateral work. In the new and improved sitting trot I’ve tried leg yields, SI, HI and renvers, even SI to renvers. Now I am just concentrating on one lateral movement at a time till it feels good. It took 3 or 4 sessions to work out our communication on leg yields, but today they felt great. In the short arena I was able to turn down the quarterline, go straight for 2-3 strides and then distinctly start the LY to B or E, and then continue straight for the rest of the long side. Either direction. The thing I was most worried about was not being able to keep her straight and regular, but that turned out to be a non issue.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:51 pm

Glad the sitting trot is going well demi! I’m taking a break from riding Rip not sure if I will go back or not. Rode Gaila last night and she stepped up to do the work with no fuss. Some of the best HP ever at the trot. Such a difference than riding Rip. Plus her trot is just easy to sit.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:05 pm

Great job, Demi! I know I keep saying this, but it has been soooo much fun "watching" you progress with Rocky. :D :mrgreen: 8-)

demi

Postby demi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:58 pm

Aww thanks, Sue! Your encouragement means a lot to me because I respect your riding and training. Rocky and Rudy are similar, not just in color, and I know you understand what its like working with a somewhat difficult conformation. Even a horse with a good temperament can be difficult when trying to get them to carry themselves in a way that doesn’t come naturally for them. Its a journey in trial and error and takes lots of patience and love.

Khall, I understand your position with Rip. Even though my mare Emma is very easy to sit the trot on, her quirkiness makes it not worth the risk of continuing with her. She is as happy as a lark being a pet. In fact, she has relaxed so much since she doesn’t have to work anymore that I wonder if I should try again...but then I remember my age and that if I got hurt, I’d miss the riding time on Rocky.

Return to “Dressage Training”