May-June: Don't be afraid to set some goals and make it better

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: May-June: Don't be afraid to set some goals and make it better

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 23, 2021 4:45 am

I had a really nice ride on Annabelle this afternoon. We finally got some rain so the outdoor isn't a dust pit. We set up a 20x40 redneck dressage arena (poles on the ground and the corners propped up on cavaletti blocks and I've put out cones for 20m circles, which is helping with accuracy and riding better corners.

Here are a couple simple changes from today. Our C/W isn't quite as clean as it could be since I was chided in my last lesson for closing up the canter too much. Trying to stay more through and let the collection come from straightness. Overall pleased as for a while she was not catching the left lead as I started asking for more straightness in the transition.
https://youtu.be/1M4sfTPhOp0

Tesla is relegated to lunging for a few days. Took her to the vet yesterday and he took out the rest of the sutures in her chest, but she still has an open wound and swelling, which was apparently reaction to the chemo treatment. Yesterday she was looking stiff and making uncharacteristically awkward down transitions on the lunge to the point of almost looking lame. Today I popped her some Previcox when I got to the barn, and she seemed more comfortable when I took her out for a quick lunge two hours later. Hopefully by the time the current storm system moves out of here, she will be ready to get back to work. Just one of those things that needs to run its course, I suppose.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun May 23, 2021 2:11 pm

Straightforward, I hope Tesla heals quickly. It's not too surprising the way you describe the wound that she would be sore and stiff. Honestly I would continue the previcox until the swelling is gone. The more comfortable she is to move around the quicker she will be able to dissipate all of the inflammation/inflammatory cascade 'crap' that is circulating through her system.

Nice video of Annabelle. She looks like a budding power house.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 23, 2021 2:58 pm

Thanks Exvet, that is what I was thinking. As much as I like the vet I'm using, and appreciate that he's a certified surgeon (he did her OCD surgery), I'm realizing that I have to ask him a lot of questions, otherwise he is pretty vague about aftercare.

ETA: I've been putting her on SureFoot pads and during a session the other day, she walked up and licked me for about a full minute, which is something she's never done before. Then did some big release yawns. I put her back on the pads and she did the same thing two more times. Given that the hyoid is connected right to the sternum, my conclusion was that she was getting some releases there, so I've been putting her on the pads every day as well since they encourage small movements in the sternum and thoracic sling.

I'm not sure I would have even had this sarcoid removed if I'd known it was going to be so invasive, and the thing hadn't changed since it appeared last summer. It was pencil eraser size on the surface, but apparently had some deeper roots.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun May 23, 2021 4:12 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this question but it does have to do with training and a goal for this 'cycle'. Maybe not to those of you who've seen my video clips of Junior but it was a little bit of a surprise to me.....as to where the clinician (and pointed out on Friday) believes Junior is locking up or blocking his own forward energy in terms of coming completely through his back. She pointed to the area of his top line/neck just in front of his withers. Now, one thing I've been noticing is that this is where he's the thickest and heavily muscled, at least in the neck. She stated that his loin is really developing nicely. He is NOT using his under neck at all (yes!) but this is area of the neck I've noticed in some ways becoming almost too thick (like metabolic syndrome type of thick, hence the initiation of chromium and mag). I also have been noticing that despite this athletic little buggar's abilities he simply crashes through small jumps, raised cavalletis until I really force him to pick up his feet......it's not with his back feet, it's with his front.

He lifts well in front when he piaffes in hand or does half steps under saddle. He is now lifting through his withers when doing medium and extended trot as well as canter. Yet, I've noticed in the walk that this is where it seems all the energy/gas and telescoping seems to fizzle out/end. I've started really pushing him faster through the 'jumps' so that he 'has to' jump. I've used more of the gymnastic aspect of trotting through raised cavalletis by adding to the number - up to 8 total. Both of these things seem to help him 'release' his back, or more importantly stretch down and through the top line/nuchal ligament of his neck. I strongly believe that this is what's limiting our walk too. I am hesitant to go back to training the spanish walk because he's a smart little stinker and already has taken to striking (though just enough to let you know he's stressed or pissed, not hard enough to injure a human, yet). He bangs on the metal bars/pipe rails with his front feet when he's hungry or believes I'm not moving fast enough. So the point is that he CAN LIFT HIS FRONT legs from the elbow, he has good stretch and freedom of the shoulder, and he's lifting through his withers..... so what other exercises can I incorporate to get him to 'release' through this part of his neck? He'll do carrot stretches all day long and I've gone back to doing them daily after riding so maybe we'll see some difference in another month of diligent focus.........

All of my welsh cobs have become 'muscle or tension bound' somewhere and this is somewhat new for me in the fact that this seems to be the ONLY place where he is 'stuck'........with some of my others it was more than just 'the neck'.

khall

Postby khall » Sun May 23, 2021 5:05 pm

Exvet have you seen any of the TRT training? He has a “wall” that he uses for the horses to stretch the front legs. Or teach reverence or the bow.

I also like counter SI on the smaller circle which really can open the chest and front legs up

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Thanks for posting the latest vids, SF. Both you and Annabelle are looking good! Are you still using the soloshot or was that vid from the pivo?

Exvet, I love your riding, your training, your horses, the whole package. I’ve never commented on this but, one thing Ive wondered about is that your upper arms dont swing with Jr.’s head and neck movement at the walk. Your upper arms look like you’re riding collected walk even in the free walk, and in your warm up walks. Your hips go with the movement really well so I figured you are feeling something that I’m not seeing and that you purposely are holding your arms that way. I only mention it now because you asked about his blocking his own forward energy. I just wondered if that might have something to do with it. Possibly a feeling at the walk that is carrying over to the other gaits?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun May 23, 2021 6:41 pm

demi wrote:
Exvet, I love your riding, your training, your horses, the whole package. I’ve never commented on this but, one thing Ive wondered about is that your upper arms dont swing with Jr.’s head and neck movement at the walk. Your upper arms look like you’re riding collected walk even in the free walk, and in your warm up walks. Your hips go with the movement really well so I figured you are feeling something that I’m not seeing and that you purposely are holding your arms that way. I only mention it now because you asked about his blocking his own forward energy. I just wondered if that might have something to do with it. Possibly a feeling at the walk that is carrying over to the other gaits?

I've thought the same thing....I have a short necked little guy too and it's something I really work hard on.....there were times that my trainer told me to spend 50% of my time in "stretching trot" (ie- longer neck but still very much lifting) to counteract what I call the "turtle neck". This would be the total % of the ride, not that i live in stretching then a collected posture.

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 23, 2021 7:51 pm

That’s not exactly what I was thinking about, Rye. I wasn’t thinking of stretching trot. I was thinking about the allowing of the rider’s arms in walk (other than collected walk). The upper arm swings forward and the elbow opens and closes, following the movement of the head and neck. Many years ago, I took a three day clinic with Erik Herbermann and he NAILED me on this. I had an Arab gelding with a great walk and didnt even notice that my arms habitually weren’t following in the walk. Erik would correct me and then I would lapse right back into still upper arms. Finally he made me exaggerate the movement for about 20 minutes. My arms were sore the next day, but he got the point across. For anyone who might think that Erik’s lesson was harmful to the horse, it wasn’t. He went beautifully the next two days in all three gaits. Erik even said it was too bad we didnt get it on video because it would have made a good demonstration video.

khall

Postby khall » Sun May 23, 2021 8:28 pm

Demi it may be because Junior does not have much telescoping of the neck in the walk so that exvet does not have anything to follow. But you wonder if you did it anyway would encourage Junior to telescope more. He’s so free in the shoulder in the trot the walk is always surprising

Exvet one thing Cedar has helped me with is to target the leg you want to encourage forward. I’ve done this mostly on the ground but I’m sure you could transfer it to US as well. She has me target their elbow just before the foot lifts off to encourage a longer step with that leg.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun May 23, 2021 8:37 pm

demi wrote:That’s not exactly what I was thinking about, Rye. I wasn’t thinking of stretching trot. I was thinking about the allowing of the rider’s arms in walk (other than collected walk). The upper arm swings forward and the elbow opens and closes, following the movement of the head and neck. Many years ago, I took a three day clinic with Erik Herbermann and he NAILED me on this. I had an Arab gelding with a great walk and didnt even notice that my arms habitually weren’t following in the walk. Erik would correct me and then I would lapse right back into still upper arms. Finally he made me exaggerate the movement for about 20 minutes. My arms were sore the next day, but he got the point across. For anyone who might think that Erik’s lesson was harmful to the horse, it wasn’t. He went beautifully the next two days in all three gaits. Erik even said it was too bad we didnt get it on video because it would have made a good demonstration video.

Right- let me clarify- I see the same problem (arms not moving).

I also notice both EXVet and I have a very smilar shaped/build horse....

My other solution was to ride more in stretching w/t/c as the horse is very short in the neck. It all works together. This also helps me personally have the swinging arms you are talking about here....^^^^

blob

Postby blob » Sun May 23, 2021 11:26 pm

Exvet, lately I've been doing a lot of raised poles at the walk with my two. I started doing this after reading about a lot of the core benefits of walking over raised poles AND because MM does not always lift her front end though she is very capable of doing it. and I have to say that I have found the raised walking poles to be a challenge. Both horses struggle with them in different ways. Finding the coordination and lift without speed has proven tricky. With RP, keep relaxation through it is also proving tricky.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 24, 2021 1:48 am

demi wrote:Thanks for posting the latest vids, SF. Both you and Annabelle are looking good! Are you still using the soloshot or was that vid from the pivo?

Still using the SoloShot. I got some OKish video with the Pivo the other day (apparently I didn't have it set to zoom) of the wrong part of my ride, and then it blew out the memory on my phone and the file I did get was too big to transfer. The time before that it videod me for about 10 seconds, switched to another horse and then turned and took a video of the arena door for the rest of my ride. So... Pivo has me a little peeved, though I know it is operator error and I'm sure I could work it out if forced.

Had another delightful ride on Annabelle this morning. I'm in the Ritter What, Why How course and trying to make the most of it this time, so I made a video for feedback riding shallow loops with voltes at the trot, and then shallower loops in canter. Having the cones set out to ride honest figures really helped, and I could see A really starting to come together after the CC loops in particular. I think she is right on the cusp of being a lot more comfortable to ride, which will make it easier for me to focus a bit more on some of my position issues. Overall I'm sitting straighter, but then yesterday I rode some cringe-worthy leg yields where I turned into a pretzel again and was totally unaware. :roll: Tomorrow the girls have bodywork, so she'll get a couple days off, and then I think it will be time for a jump day if the footing isn't too wet.

ETA: uploaded the video for the course, so I will share it here as well just in case anyone is interested. https://youtu.be/GKf8-qFY1Sc
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 24, 2021 3:19 am

Annabelle would like to inform me that I can stop referring to her as "my downhill little quarter horse."
Attachments
Liftoff 52321.jpg
Liftoff 52321.jpg (71.17 KiB) Viewed 7259 times
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon May 24, 2021 5:52 am

I'm taking all comments into consideration. I feel like and know I consciously think of following him with the hand at the walk and canter. I worked today on the trail trying to encourage Junior to telescope his neck out with a following hand. Most clinicians give positive feedback in terms of this but I will be diligent in working on your observations. I come from a hunter background where my strength was following the head and neck for the forward and down specifically over fences; but, time change and perhaps I lost some of my skills from my youth. Khall I will work more in hand to see if I can isolate the base (over the top line) of his neck where we're thinking he's getting stuck. Today I definitely felt more schwung and liberty in his spine just walking along the trail . I'll keep working on it.....

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 24, 2021 1:34 pm

Exvet, I definitely see your whole arm following down into the stretching motion. Like when you let him go from a normal working frame to a stretch down frame. But what I wasn’t seeing, were the little forward and back motions for each individual step at walk. I’ve heard that motion described as vacuum sweeping. And maybe like Khall said, Jr. just doesn’t have much of that motion so there is nothing for you to follow.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 24, 2021 1:41 pm

So many interesting updates! Great photo of Annabelle! I also love Chiasamba's photos from a bit ago (and you look super fit, Chiasamba!).

I am not an expert. I do ride a very light to connect/easy to be fake round horse, though. After a dental incident, I needed to ride her in a bitless bridle for awhile. It was like an instant lesson in how to get a connected, telescoping neck at a working or extended walk--something that was always challenging for us. I was able to take that feeling when we returned to the bit. I think I needed the bitless nudge so that I could believe she could do it! :lol:

In Emi matters, she cruised around fields for 5.5 miles yesterday, getting her hack and hills on. She is getting stronger! And it's HOT so that makes her happy.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon May 24, 2021 3:18 pm

Lots of great updates!

I've been in a bit of a funk, which appears to be a cyclical pattern for me. Broke out of it long enough to ride in a "Ranch Horse show", which is basically breed-show classes where the horses move out a bit more than the western pleasure stereotype. While I had (completely unrealistic) dreams of being crowned champion of everything that were somewhat dashed by the reality of competing in a discipline I've never done before and haven't actually trained for, Queso was a superstar. Dragged a log in a trail class without losing his mind (good boy), nailed all his pattern classes (good boy), stood tacked for hours because these shows apparently don't do ride times (greatest boy).

It was fun to get out of our sandbox for a bit. I know dressage has a rep for snootiness and nit-pickery, but man oh man did I miss having scheduled ride times.

Aside from yesterday's shenanigans, we've just been keeping on keeping on. Working on throughness and bending, which is not very interesting to talk about but which I'm hoping pays dividends by the fall.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 24, 2021 3:32 pm

Ranch Horse classes are no joke! I mean, I'd love to take a lot of those horses home. Lots of very solid training required, plus the mind to put up with the long day/different actiities. Sounds like Queso was worthy of a tiara for sure!

You are so good at training your horses and I know you know that there are periods where we "just" work on strength, suppleness, consistency, connection. I think the overall demands of my life/work these days have made me a little more appreciative of the "daily grindstone" that is good training/rehab. Sometimes little drama is good!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:12 am

Ponichiwa, I'm glad you got out to do something different! I have a friend that really likes the ranch horse classes. Sounds like Queso was a rockstar.

I'm in a bit of slump too. We had to move my grandmother who I've been helping take care for the last 6 years to a skilled nursing facility. That was pretty emotional and there's still a lot of work to do be done as far as with her house and stuff.

Then my older dog got sick. The vet thinks it's lung cancer. Crushed and figuring out the next steps and trying to keep her comfortable.

Still figuring out the saddle fit stuff which is frustrating but is what it is. Lynx goes to the eventing trainer in June. Hoping the trainer has a saddle that will work until the other saddle fitter comes July 1st.

In training they're mostly going to work on confirming his hard tying holes, trailer him off property and trail ride mostly. Just more miles. I will still see him and be riding. But my schedule will be more limited as he will be further away. He will be in great hands though.
Attachments
PXL_20210512_030001674.MP_copy_756x1008.jpg
PXL_20210512_030001674.MP_copy_756x1008.jpg (231.38 KiB) Viewed 7188 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue May 25, 2021 4:30 am

demi wrote:Exvet, I definitely see your whole arm following down into the stretching motion. Like when you let him go from a normal working frame to a stretch down frame. But what I wasn’t seeing, were the little forward and back motions for each individual step at walk. I’ve heard that motion described as vacuum sweeping. And maybe like Khall said, Jr. just doesn’t have much of that motion so there is nothing for you to follow.

He really doesn't have much telescoping movement. He just holds his neck. I've been told from the get go in lessons to try to exaggerate it BUT not give up on the contact. In other words if he's not moving after I offer/encourage it, maintain the contact above all else. We're not abandoning the effort. I think what improvement we'll get won't be seen until PSG......not too surprising with this breed.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 25, 2021 2:14 pm

exvet wrote:
demi wrote:Exvet, I definitely see your whole arm following down into the stretching motion. Like when you let him go from a normal working frame to a stretch down frame. But what I wasn’t seeing, were the little forward and back motions for each individual step at walk. I’ve heard that motion described as vacuum sweeping. And maybe like Khall said, Jr. just doesn’t have much of that motion so there is nothing for you to follow.

He really doesn't have much telescoping movement. He just holds his neck. I've been told from the get go in lessons to try to exaggerate it BUT not give up on the contact. In other words if he's not moving after I offer/encourage it, maintain the contact above all else. We're not abandoning the effort. I think what improvement we'll get won't be seen until PSG......not too surprising with this breed.

Does he move it at all in the walk extensions? there should definitely be the forward and back in the extended walk though on contact. He should have his neck lowered too for this to be getting a good score. I know I had to unstick my horse a bit to dot his well in a clinic with a GP clinician recently. it really opened my eyes to the need for mobility in the neck.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 25, 2021 11:21 pm

Lynx looks good. He actually looks a little uphill! He’ll be fun to watch as he matures.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed May 26, 2021 5:07 am

So, I'm back in the saddle again, sort of, but I seem to have lost track of my mojo...

I got on Potters at the end of my trainer's ride yesterday. Bad move to be honest, as he was feeling pretty sassy after a big forward session with her. No one died, but I didn't have fun and had adrenalin pretty much dripping out my ears when I got off.

So, today, I got on dear old Walker, and had a very nice, safe, predictable ride. I will do the same for the next several days until I get my riding legs and brain back, rather than inflict that process on Mr. Sensitive.

Interesting though. Walker sussed out in about 2 minutes flat that my left hand wasn't all there. We had to have a little conversation about steering, but he was super-forward, easy and kind. I'm lucky to have him.

I'll get it together, but I'm a bit shocked by how much this has messed with my head.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:07 pm

Demi, thanks! I always thought I saw some uphillness or at least levelness that I hope will be there when he's done growing!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:07 pm

Mountaineer, you will get it back!! I totally understand the feeling. Riding breaks for any reason are hard on me.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed May 26, 2021 5:01 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Ranch Horse classes are no joke! I mean, I'd love to take a lot of those horses home. Lots of very solid training required, plus the mind to put up with the long day/different actiities. Sounds like Queso was worthy of a tiara for sure!

You are so good at training your horses and I know you know that there are periods where we "just" work on strength, suppleness, consistency, connection. I think the overall demands of my life/work these days have made me a little more appreciative of the "daily grindstone" that is good training/rehab. Sometimes little drama is good!

Thanks for the kind words! Again, am biased, but I'm pretty sure Queso is just the best boy.

Haven't had much of a chance for riding this week: we've gotten some 10+" of rain in the last 2 weeks so things are very, very wet. Another reason to be grateful for a show at a fairgrounds-- finally got to ride under a roof out of the rain!

Yes, so much of the dressage work is really just chipping away with the basics. How's the reaction off the leg? How's the relaxation even with lateral aids or forward aids or half-halts? How easy are the transitions upwards and downwards? Rinse, repeat.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu May 27, 2021 2:03 pm

We took a whirlwind trip to Santa Barbara to be witnesses for a niece's wedding/elopement; so, I didn't get to ride Monday night or Tuesday. Got back Wednesday about 5 pm. I decided to ride Junior later last night and set up 6 raised cavalettis. He trotted through them perfectly several times. I was very happy with his 'sudden' improvement. Of course we'll keep introducing more gymnastic exercises to help him with his stretch and strength.

blob

Postby blob » Thu May 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Mountaineer--it can be really tough to lose time in the saddle any time. But especially difficult when you are also in the process of building a new partnership and learning a new horse. I'm glad you have Walker to build some confidence on. And maybe you and Potters can also do some easy rides--walking/stretching only rides to help build confidence and relationship back up.

Last couple weeks have been a bit up and down in terms of riding time consistency. And then next week I am out of town for a few days. So, they'll both get time off.

I'm feeling like i'm in a bit of a rut with MM. A lot of the work has improved so much in quality, but lately the forward/willingness has seemed to not be where it was. I know this is partly me--I am getting sloppy and nagging. And partly the weather transitioning into true summer. But also I keep wondering if there is something that is not quite right in her fitness/strength. I've been trying to do less traditional arena work and more creative ways to build strength. But I'm not always good at sticking to the plan. I would like to get her jumping more. So for the next few weeks, I would like to make sure I am building in time to get her over fences and build my own confidence back up to take her over some higher stuff eventually.

RP is doing alright as long as his stomach is fine. He's still getting gassy at days/times and it can be difficult to deal with. At this point, I'm very fairly sure he has an intolerance to some vitamin/mineral that is included in 'complete nutrition' for a horse. When he gets a normal serving of grain--gassy. So I cut the grain and added a forger balancer. I've tried 3 different kinds and all make him gassy. i've made an appointment with an equine nutritionist to see if we can help me formulate a diet for him that keeps his tummy happy. I'm curious to see what the consultation process looks like!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 27, 2021 3:30 pm

blob wrote:I would like to get her jumping more. So for the next few weeks, I would like to make sure I am building in time to get her over fences and build my own confidence back up to take her over some higher stuff eventually.

I agree, I do this when I can. It really helps get a fitter horse- there is something that helps them in dressage when they have to canter in the forward seat and use the back in a different way. I took a short detour to more of this in 2018 and I thought it would cause more "dressage backsliding" but in fact its been the ticket to getting more towards real collection....whoduathough? And it was fun.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 27, 2021 8:38 pm

Blob, on Kea I got stuck at 3rd level. Part of it is simply experience. I have ridden a lot more horses First through Third, and a couple or three third through upper levels. Anyway, I did a few jumping clinics that really challenged me. I mean 4 foot solid Xc jumps. then suddenly Kea was schooling PSG . I don't know if it was fitness or the actual jump but it seemed to have a dynamic efficacy.

Ok, currently I am still adding pole exercises once a week. this week was a 3 pole fan at the arc of each loop of the 3 loop serpentine. people found it surprisingly difficult to ride accurately. I felt it really encouraged rear leg length of stride along with all the benefits of balance, supple connection and changes of direction that the serpentine is so useful for.

I am still at least once a week schooling in one arena and then going to ride a test in the other. this week I was able to use friends to sit in chairs and rustle papers at C. the fact that they chose to yell or scores was just a bonus.

in all the decades I have competed, I can't believe I didn't do this before. I am so a bad a test rider, I really need this. of course my horses are so clever they anticipate often. I am using a bit of advice I received right here. teach them to anticipate the right thing, the aids, not the activity.

Here is a pic where I hate my position but I love how it shows the elongation of the baseball of the neck that is one goals in SI
Attachments
reflectedshoulderinSaiph.jpg
reflectedshoulderinSaiph.jpg (85.02 KiB) Viewed 6962 times

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu May 27, 2021 10:32 pm

Nice picture Chisamba. Cool idea to include the mirror.

Everyone is really rolling along.

Mountaineer, I know what you mean about mojo. I am still trying to get used to the saddle I bought last fall. Kyra is working quite well in it but I am still not in love as I seem to have issues with my balance and being out of the saddle for the better part of 6 years :P . Part of it is lack of fitness but I prefer a saddle that is quite wide in the seat...that has always worked the best with my tailbone issues and this saddle (Prestige X-breath) is not. It isn't bad and I don't think it is necessarily the twist. Oh well. Right now, truth be told, my butt is too big...add to that the seat saver I use and it could be roomier. Since they only make up to 18 inch, I guess that means I have to shrink my butt :P . She is working quite well in it. Much more willing to fill out the right rein and is straighter than when I was riding in my treeless saddle. I am not up to buying, trying and returning umpteen saddles so I will keep working on me.

I have had some really nice rides and the last two...I added some canter back in and my back isn't screaming at me like it was a month ago :mrgreen: .
Kyra has been most enjoyable and we continue to work on fitness and basics. Until I get more core strength, we aren't going to concern ourselves with anything too fancy. Today, I did work on a bit of baby trot (sitting no less) back to working trot (rising) and baby trot to halt to rein back and right back to trot. She did that well and is staying quite straight. We also worked on some SI.

She had started out kind of weird today. I had to abandon my usual warm up. Right before I tacked her up, I clipped her bridle path, jawline and zipped the outside of her ears. Well as I went to bridle her, I must of flipped some hair into her right ear.
OMG, shake her head vigorously then she pinned that ear and gave me the evil eye. She did not want to soften her neck or jaw at first. She wasn't shaking her head much but she was bothered nevertheless. Then she got kind of boggy and sluggish. We had done some walk and some trot and I said OK...GO...and we cantered on on a fairly loose rein. That did the trick. All of a sudden we had forward and she was willing to work nicely into the hand. My balance issues show up the most in right lead canter as I want to slide to the left. I was able to correct some of it by just literally standing in the stirrups momentarily and moving my butt back to the right. Her canter was better today. Quite pleasant, in fact. Finger's crossed that my back stays happier. I like to canter ;) .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri May 28, 2021 12:38 am

Blob, Walker can't tolerate soy--it makes him very gassy and miserable.

He eats Renew Gold and grass hay now and does well on it. In the past we have done a combination of oats, alfalfa pellets and rice bran, which worked quite well for him when he was at home, but with boarding is too much trouble to screw around with, apparently.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 28, 2021 12:56 am

That's a great ride report, Susan. For my tight little mare, canter makes everything better about response and connection :-) Alas, canter is still not on the table for us in rehab (though she suggests it regularly, which gives me hope).

blob

Postby blob » Fri May 28, 2021 1:47 am

Moutaineer wrote:Blob, Walker can't tolerate soy--it makes him very gassy and miserable.

We've ruled out soy and some of the other more common allergens and unfortunately not one of them, which means whatever I'm dealing with might be more complicated to avoid.

Chisamba and Rye, that's encouraging to hear. Last week and this week I've done some smaller stuff to build us both up to the bigger stuff. But I think that pull to a bigger fence will be good for both of us

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 28, 2021 3:30 am

Speaking of jumping, Annabelle and I went for a little jump tonight. When I got there the BO happened to be setting up for a jumping lesson with another boarder, so when they finished, I lowered the jumps to baby size and we toodled around over mostly crossrails. I did manage to canter over the one <2' vertical without throwing Annabelle off her stride, and called it a day. I'm going to make it a point to canter over jumps once a week until I get comfortable with it. I was comfortable with cantering jumps on Maya, but I always had to ride her to the fences because she was willing, but didn't lock on to the jumps. With A, I have to let her find her spot and go without my interference, and I always want to interject when we're 2 strides out. Need to arrange a lesson for next week as it helps me to be less of a big chicken.

Tesla is just lunging. The sarcoid removal and chemo treatment on her chest has been more invasive and complicated than I anticipated, so we started doing some laser treatment yesterday. It is already looking better, but it will probably take another week for the hole to close up, and we're fighting against some scar tissue formation that seems to be impinging on her range of motion in the right shoulder. Very frustrating when she was just on the cusp of becoming a decent riding horse, but that's why I keep the wine cooler well stocked.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri May 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Lot’s been going on that I kept thinking I’d update after the next thing and well it’s just been piling up!

Chiro vet saw Kora a second time, about 2 weeks from last and really got the final bit in her neck. Ever since he adjusted her she’s been doing very long/low stretchy trot for the first ~5 minutes of our rides just reaching down and out to figure out that new feeling in her neck and back.

Saddle fitter came to evaluate and adjust new saddle. She was very happy with the fit, we rode a bit in it and then made a small adjustment to flocking in the front and that was it. As Kora loses weight (lol) and fits up she’ll come back and check again probably nearer to the fall.

Tried the Total Saddle Fit StretchTec girth as friends have been raving about it for their geldings. That was a solid no! Ended up getting off and swapping back to solid leather girth mid-ride on my last attempt with it. It’s going back.

Took Kora for a lesson with another trainer to get her off the farm to a new venue. She was a bit more wide-eyed about the experience than I was expecting but she tried hard and was not naughty just a bit more looky and hesitant. So that’s made up my mind and it’s weekly excursions to new places for the summer. I have the next 5 weeks set up, lol.

Lyme Titer results are way down so the antibiotic regime we did seems to have kicked that, very happy to hear. Vitamin E levels are finally in range now that we’ve switched to the liquid vitamin E versus the powder.

Busy weekend kicking off tomorrow with travel to a trail ride in the beautiful Vermont countryside with a good friend and a lesson with my trainer on Monday. Happy riding all!!

demi

Postby demi » Fri May 28, 2021 1:19 pm

Good updates (mostly!).

Nice SI, Chisamba. Thanks for sharing that great visual. That will stick in my head every time I do SI for a while.

SF, your vids of A doing the cones for the Ritter course were really inspiring for me. I am no where near doing shallow canter loops through cones but seeing how well you do it with Annabelle gives me hope.

Mountaineer, I’m not sure I should even say this, but... Does your trainer think that Potters really needs “big forward sessions” that end with a sassy horse? I have the impression you’re a good rider, but you’re injured and Potters is new to you. Seems like the trainer would be giving him quiet, steady, confidence building work. He already knows how to do the upper levels... although, maybe you enjoy having “adrenaline dripping out of your ears”? I know some people really do like a good adrenaline rush. I prefer the slightly depressant effect of wine to an adrenaline rush anymore LOL.

demi

Postby demi » Fri May 28, 2021 1:41 pm

I think about you all that are doing poles, cavaletti, and jumping and wish I was there with Rocky. I just don’t think it’s the right approach for me with her. It has take a looooong time to get her to go nicely uphill at walk and trot, and I’m still working on canter. I just imagine her crashing through ground poles because I dont have the core strength to keep her up. I think it would set us back.

I have just gotten her to be able to trot on the bit out on trails without her taking over and running in a quarter horse frame. I am starting to trot up hills as part of our regular trail work. The gentle incline that I do keeps her naturally uphill and keeps her from running. I think (hope) this will transfer to the arena. As it is right now, I still don’t often attempt a trot lengthening because she starts to run after just a few strides.

I am really happy with her canter lately. I can keep her uphill and slow for a good bit now. The right lead, which was a mess for a long time is now exciting! She feels even more uphill in the right canter than the left. I still lose her on the right shoulder during the canter but can get it back from my seat without having to go back down to trot. I am looking forward to seeing it on video but we’ve had rain for weeks now and havent been able to get the Pivo out .

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri May 28, 2021 2:00 pm

Straightforward, I hope Tesla heals up quickly!! I understand how frustrating that is! But maybe the time off will actually be good for her and she'll come back better than ever. Fingers crossed.

Aleuronx,I'm so glad that Kora is doing so well. She really sounds like she's bouncing back so well!

Demi, I think you do a great job with Rocky. Definitely improvement to be very excited and proud of!

Lynx moves 45 minutes north to the training barn today. Then tomorrow, at the barn, we are doing a groundwork clinic. It's for a fundraiser and figure it can't hurt. Sunday there is a ride a test clinic there. They wanted me to join and I REALLY wanted to join. But schedule wise it wouldn't work and there is no way we can pull off riding a test on Sunday at a new barn, and the only hoping that one of the trainers saddles fit. So maybe we can join another time.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 28, 2021 2:01 pm

demi wrote:I think about you all that are doing poles, cavaletti, and jumping and wish I was there with Rocky. I just don’t think it’s the right approach for me with her. It has take a looooong time to get her to go nicely uphill at walk and trot, and I’m still working on canter. I just imagine her crashing through ground poles because I dont have the core strength to keep her up. I think it would set us back.

most horses tend to sit on the haunches naturally doing poles that is why they can be so helpful. But every horse is different, some just don't seem to like them.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 28, 2021 2:21 pm

demi wrote:G
SF, your vids of A doing the cones for the Ritter course were really inspiring for me. I am no where near doing shallow canter loops through cones but seeing how well you do it with Annabelle gives me hope.

That was the first time I'd ridden her through a marked pattern in counter canter, and it really made the CC more effective in getting her more up in her shoulders when we got back to the rail. You can always make the loops super shallow, like a meter or two off the rail to start out with, but the accuracy is key. FWIW, with the loops and voltes video, Thomas Ritter said mostly that A is needing to swing more through the ribcage to get a better bend in the voltes, thinking more of enlarging onto the circle line and grounding the weight more to the outside legs (this esp. to the right), and that I should be setting up for the change of direction though the loops a little earlier. He also noted that she started a little out behind in the canter portion, but got better with the CC (and that I canter too long in one go).

Contemplating getting better swing and bend, on Wednesday night I sat down and really accurately sketched out the geometry for 3-loop serpentines, and then set that up and rode it the next morning, making sure we were doing 13m half circles straight across the centerline to another accurate 13m half circle. At a few points we just stayed on the 13m circle a round or two to get the bend really happening. A got really nice and soft in the bridle and if anything it was much easier to keep her up and together. So I am going to order a more powerful laser measure to set the exercises up more quickly and accurately, and really try to let that accuracy do the work for me of getting her bending and carrying better.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri May 28, 2021 5:57 pm

regarding Ritter, like with GM I will never give my money to an abuser of minors nor even watch a video of exercises given by one so because of my own experience with abusive men in power and never wanting a minutia of my time or money to contribute.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 28, 2021 6:12 pm

Chisamba, I haven't heard anything about this. Feel free to PM me??
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri May 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Chisamba wrote:regarding Ritter, like with GM I will never give my money to an abuser of minors nor even watch a video of exercises given by one so because of my own experience with abusive men in power and never wanting a minutia of my time or money to contribute.

???
This? Never met the guy or anything, just did a quick search.... I don't need to purchase any content for training this year so this doesn't impact me personally. Just more of a Hmmmmmmm gross type reaction

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/themanu ... t8584.html
This appeared in the local northwest horse rag "Flying Changes", and I really felt you all should know:
"Dressage Trainer Sentenced.
Well known dressage trainer and clinician, Thomas Ritter, recently pled guilty to assault with sexual intent and two charges of harrassment. Judge Brain Altman, East Dictrict Court Klickitat County, Washington, sentenced Ritter to two years of bench probation and 365 days of jail time per charge, to be served concurrently, with 330 days suspended. The jail time was served beginning on January 22, 2010. In addition, Ritter was fined $5,000 for each offense with all be $1,000 suspended, and required to pay restitution to the victim of $4,572. These crimes were committed against one of his working students, who was 19 years old at the time. Further information in the case of Washington State vs. Thomas Ritter can be obtained from the East District Court of Klickitat County, Goldendale, Washingtn, case number is 2009-0016."

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 28, 2021 6:27 pm

:shock: Yikes, had no idea!

Well, I paid for the course three years ago, so they have my money now. That definitely skeeves me out, and is super disappointing as well.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat May 29, 2021 5:38 am

Demi, I will be having that discussion with her on Monday :) In her mind, she's doing me a favor working out where the holes are so I don't have to be surprised, which would be a really good thing for her to do under normal circumstances, but I think she hadn't worked out how much the last few weeks have messed with my head--neither had I, to be frank, and the woman's a horse trainer not a psychotherapist, so I'm not blaming her.

However, my aged appaloosa mental health specialist has been doing a pretty darned good job with me this week--walk, trot, canter, lateral work, all getting dialed back in, forward, bright and cheerful, even though it's a bit like cantering a cement mixer, bless his spotted heart.

I did manage to lunge Potters myself today, too, so I'm making pretty good progress and getting a lot more motion back in my finger and hand--still quite sore, though.

He, poor guy, has terrible hives--not itchy, apparently, but he's covered in lumps. Vet tomorrow. He (Potters, not the vet) is just such a gentleman to handle and work with, we can get the rest of it sorted out, I'm sure.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat May 29, 2021 2:15 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Demi, I will be having that discussion with her on Monday :) In her mind, she's doing me a favor working out where the holes are so I don't have to be surprised, which would be a really good thing for her to do under normal circumstances, but I think she hadn't worked out how much the last few weeks have messed with my head--neither had I, to be frank, and the woman's a horse trainer not a psychotherapist, so I'm not blaming her.

However, my aged appaloosa mental health specialist has been doing a pretty darned good job with me this week--walk, trot, canter, lateral work, all getting dialed back in, forward, bright and cheerful, even though it's a bit like cantering a cement mixer, bless his spotted heart.

I did manage to lunge Potters myself today, too, so I'm making pretty good progress and getting a lot more motion back in my finger and hand--still quite sore, though.

He, poor guy, has terrible hives--not itchy, apparently, but he's covered in lumps. Vet tomorrow. He (Potters, not the vet) is just such a gentleman to handle and work with, we can get the rest of it sorted out, I'm sure.

Mountaineer I'm sure you will get this going in the 'correct' positive direction (no pun intended) especially because this horse is still so new to you and the situation. However, I too have a very similar discussion planned with my instructor tomorrow. I let her get on Junior for the first time a few weeks ago. She's offered 'to take him off my hands' many times. After riding him she was very complementary in my training and agreed with my assessment of his 'one hole' which is truly accepting and working into the right rein, now just at canter. This is a hole I must fill before really getting dependable flying changes. Her solution is to just ride him at a hand gallop and insist that he move forward into that right rein no matter what happens. His go to is to back off and swap leads (very impressive FCs I will say). During 'this' type of come to Jesus exercise, Junior, of course, tries to do anything to get the rider out of position (no bucking or rearing, just good ole welsh cob throw you out of the saddle or to one side, etc) which requires a considerable amount of core strength to not let him succeed. My instructor and I are built similarly and she's 8 years older than I; but, I have my right arm paresis issue. So in the end this specific tactic to get Junior over this issue isn't working for me. I've got the core strength but I'm never going to be able to muscle him through using my right upper body................just isn't going to happen. My instructor is frustrated because she knows this is THE one little piece preventing the bigger picture and bigger scores. She wants to ride/train him to help me get Junior over this. I've never put a horse into training for such things; but, I have given it some thought and I'm still not going to go there. I've managed to get him consistently through and honest into the right hand at walk and trot. I'm going to stick with a more methodical, albeit slower, approach at the canter. I am already seeing some improvement. My instructor means well and if I were younger (and not handicapped in such a way) I'd be all over it and on the same path (and wouldn't need the instructor as a trainer). I just don't feel deep down in my gut that letting her 'train this through' is going to help me in the long run should Junior decide to 'revolt' at some point when the work gets even harder. I don't think this is pride getting in the way. Junior is only 7; so, I don't think I'm wasting time or the future which I realize is likely limited due to my physical issues/injuries. I just feel based on my experience that my horse needs to be trained in a way that I can ride him and thanks to the clinician I ride with, have been given an alternative to my instructor's plan. The alternative is what I think has helped most recently though definitely in baby steps. My instructor's approach would likely have this solved in a month, mine will take quite a few more. I guess the point is that there's always multiple approaches and you have to choose the one that is best for you and the horse....................this isn't going to be an easy pill for my instructor to swallow but fortunately we've known each other for enough years that I now she'll accept it (just be gnashing her teeth the whole time we're doing it 'my' way). She means well and at least I know she loves my horse ;)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat May 29, 2021 5:09 pm

Moutaineer, I love exvet's example of trainer vs owner/rider views. They are both "correct", it's merely a matter of individual timelines and goals. For myself, I mentally do much better once the pain/discomfort has subsided. Perhaps your painful hand is affecting you more than you know; it's a reminder of your vulnerability. Jingles for Potter to get over his hives and jingles for you.

I have nothing to report because ds and weather and working on Mom's estate have taken all my ride time. Suffice it to say, ds is now an actual high school graduate (party is tomorrow if you want to come :lol: ), I am finally declared Personal Rep for Mom's estate, and the weather is improving, and so I hope to be able to start riding again today!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun May 30, 2021 4:59 am

Exvet, that's exactly it.

Whilst there is a lot of value in my trainer knowing what the holes are and how she can ride through them, she's not me (hahahhahahha... gold medalist, highly educated and respected in the national dressage community, has usually ridden the only 9 FEI horses in the state before she gets to me on any given day, yeah... SO, so not me :) and I'm enormously grateful and lucky to have her as a mentor,)

But, I'm eventually going to have to fumble my own way through the holes anyway, so on the whole, I'd rather she held my hand through my learning and fixing process... at my own pace and taking into account my age and infirmities and lack of brilliance.

I don't know if that makes any sense at all--it's been a long day!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 30, 2021 11:58 am

StraightForward wrote:Chisamba, I haven't heard anything about this. Feel free to PM me??

I sent a pm

Return to “Dressage Training”