May-June: Don't be afraid to set some goals and make it better

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

May-June: Don't be afraid to set some goals and make it better

Postby StraightForward » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:04 am

Sorry for the song plant; couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

This is the golden time of year when the spring weather starts to calm down, but it's usually not too beastly hot just yet. A great time for some consistent training.

The Ritter's What, Why How course, which I have a lifetime membership in, has just restarted, so I am going to be focused on that with Annabelle. So for her:
*2-3x a week, work on course exercises and journal my observations.
*1x a week, cavaletti or grid work
*Take at least 2 jumping lessons (I want to start doing every other week)
*1 day a week of in-hand/lunging/long reining
*Haul out to ride at least twice.

Tesla:
*Haul out to ride or at least get off property twice.
*Canter - Ride or die! :lol:
*lunge with SRs or double lunge 2x a week

Me:
Run some faster intervals to increase my aerobic capacity
Gym 1x a week
Kettlebells 2x a week
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Re: May-June: Don't be afraid to set some goals and make it better

Postby heddylamar » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 am

Lol. Goals? I'll settle for riding again.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 am

Hey, that is a goal!
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:52 am

Joplin improve the canter work and lateral work. Hope I can find a bit that she is happy with. Get her new sarcoid examined. So much for the $2000 vaccine
Gaila her trot work is really good. Improve the canter work. WC transitions maybe a bit of CC
Get them both off farm to play with obstacles

Rip continue with long reining and piaffe on the spot. Not sure if I will ride him or not but feeling like not. Having too much fun with the mares I ride.

Juliet improve lateral work at the trot. Improve R canter maybe plié? Or a bit of CC.

Cedar clinic mid June. Blob if you are interested I can send you dates. We go S Su M all day.

Me continue with Pilates!! So happy to be back:). Twice a week at the studio at least.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:17 am

I'm kind of with Heddy on this one! I thought I was doing pretty well until I accidentally caught my hand on something earlier and thought I was going to pass out.

I was thinking I might be able to start lunging next week. But Potters got a bit sprightly on the line with my trainer this afternoon, so that, combined with my earlier incident, has shut that thought right down.

Realistically, I think most of May is going to be a bust for me riding, so my trainer gets to do the honors, which will be good for Potters at any rate..

Mette is coming in mid June, so my one goal is to get to ride with her.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:08 am

khall, interesting that the vaccine didn't work (and frustrating). :( I hadn't thought about it not having a gray, but Tesla has a persistent sarcoid in her right ear. We were joking the other day that she would need to get a hole in her ear and she could get a grommet and be punk rock. Hope Joplin's is not too troublesome.

Moutaineer, I hope your hand heals up soon. What a bummer just when you have a great new horse to play with!

Demi, I wanted to chime in that you are doing a great job with Rocky and you have a lot of progress happening. As you know Annabelle has many similarities to Rocky, and I think we even have similar body proportions, so I often feel compelled to offer up the things I've found that have worked for us, but certainly they might not work the same for you. :) I do find that the cavaletti can help to do some of the work for me though. Keeping Annabelle together so she doesn't pull my seat apart is definitely a challenge. After the jumping lesson today, I'm eager to try some canter cavaletti and see if that gets her carrying with more lightness and less help from me.
Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:51 am

:( Stirrups. My goal is riding with stirrups again
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:38 pm

My goals are pretty straight forward. Junior - third level is our focus. Brandon - training level is our focus. Ace - just have fun and enjoy trail riding until it gets too hot. Looking even further forward though, we close on our property up in the higher elevations next week. While the house and barn will take another year to be built, we can at least haul up there to trail ride and get out of the heat. I hope to continue to work out 4-5 times a week, (real) work permitting.

Of course my immediate goal is to haul Brandon out to my lesson this weekend. While my lesson is on Junior, I'm going early so I can ride through the intro tests in a standard dressage arena. This will be Brandon's second time loading and hauling since I bought him. On the way home I'm stopping by my friend's place who is hosting the stinker pony. She sent me pictures and he looks wonderful. There are no palo verde trees within 10 miles of her property which is what he's allergic to so he's not on any meds and still has his full coat :) He and his buddy 'Clyde' are reported to be doing very well.

My next goal will be hauling up to Prescott for a schooling show the following weekend. I've entered second 3 and third 1 with Junior and Intro A & B with Brandon. I reserve the 'right' to scratch if things don't seem to be in place at least enough to get a good experience out of it; but, if everyone's calm, cool and collected (LOL), we'll give it all a try.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:57 pm

Trying to get more towards third level over the summer (sans FC).
Match the inside and outside aids- I forget there are two sides of the horse LOL- it really comes back to bite me in the half pass

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:05 pm

MM:
*work on 3 changes on a diagonal line
*HP, HP, HP
*trailer training
*schooling show in June? (dependent on trailer training...)
*poles or jumping 1x a week
*ground work 1x a week

RP:
*LYs & SI (really need to get more lateral action going)
*More uphill trot lengthening
*poles 1x a week
*Show end of May (hopefully at first level?)

Me:
*try to get in better shape and stick to a workout schedule

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:57 pm

Heddy I’m with you to!! Just hoping to be able to saddle up the darn horse and go around.

Past Goals:
Long line for more influence over the work that we can do while we wait for saddle. All we did really, and it was helpful but dreadfully boring. Although the bareback pottering was nice.
Play with fake 'surefoot' pad Check on this as well. Kora still thinks it’s a circus trick rather than lifechanging.
Wait for saddle :D We succeeded in waiting and managed to get exactly what we ordered! I’m still in love with it!

Section Goals:
Ride. Full stop. (In actuality get Kora back walk/trot/canter in a harmonious way after the rules and regulations reminder)
Get final story on Lyme results and Vit. E levels
At least 5 lessons w/trainer
Enjoy Memorial day trail ride up in Vermont w/bestie

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat May 01, 2021 5:19 am

Well, as I said last session, I don't really have a lot of goals. The main one is getting out and getting some horse time ;) .

I went and hooked up my trailer to make sure everything was in working order and NO lights. Nada. The truck plug is cold and I think (hope) it is just fuses. I have the replacements but haven't had the time to replace and re-check. They worked fine last fall when I hauled her to a private farm for the saddle fitting. I was hoping to get her out a few times before the really hot weather sets in. Fingers crossed it is just the fuses.

I have been very pleased that she is progressing even with the hit and miss work she has gotten.

I am going to continue to work on lateral work in walk if that is all my crappy back allows. I did try some trotting on straight lines last time and my back didn't rebel too much so I am hoping that I am getting the problem healed and can get back to regular work.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 01, 2021 1:08 pm

1. enjoy each horse for who and where they are and not stress over what has and hasn't been achieved.

Potter away at flying changes and just elevating the quality or lateral work.

use my metronome more.

lose a bit more weight

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:14 pm

I hope everyone who's been injured gets all healed and back in the saddle.

My goals for May are to hopefully get my saddle situation sorted out so I can ride Lynx (I might borrow something in the meantime.)

The Silver medalist will hopefully come out at least twice in May for some lessons.

I hope to continue to work on in hand, lunging and exposure. If it ever dries up, I need to start working in the outdoor. There is a chicken coop right next to it, so it can be spooky. But I think Lynx will learn to accept it.

For myself: eat healthier, exercise more. Get a damn lunge lesson!! I'm taking a few more jump lessons and then taking a break for awhile from those. Continuing taking dressage lessons on a schooled horse as well.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon May 03, 2021 1:16 am

My goals are to get ready for champs. by being better. I'm trying to eek out every point. I think the mirrors have really helped me with the leaning forward with Quinn when she pulls and sitting up more and picking her up. I'm focusing on riding both more up and working on that feeling and not worrying about hands too high. I also need to get the freestyles sorted.

So, show today. The judge has not always been a high scoring judge, so feeling REALLY good about it. I think I have figured out the right combination of things to get Quinn where she needs to be with the right curb chain length, spurs, etc. I know ya'll like videos, so here goes.
Quinn PSG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFRMoD-8lfw 67%! High score FEI in a tie with an S judge, and won the class with actually three people in it!
Quinn I-1 freestyle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw6tKdzpOjw 68%, won the class of four FEI freestyles (beat Quilla.)

I think I was a little lazy with Quilla as this was the first time we've done the GP freestyle, so it was not even close to where it can be. (It's also her 13th Bday today, so . . . Quinn turned 11 yesterday.) I know the music is a bit cut and paste, but I was more working on matching it to the ride. It's all Paul Leonard Morgan. I love, love love the music that is at the very beginning and whole end sequence. I would appreciate some feedback on how you feel about it. My husband complained it was too cut up, but he has no clue. The judge gave me a 6 on music and said needs phrasing and "using repetitions" (no clue) which is BS--the whole thing is phrased TO the ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqtNhsZgyY Thrilled with a 65% for the first time ever as it's a qualifying ride for USEF.

And Quilla I-2 was a little lazy on my part as we just sat between rides, so I could have been better, still happy with a 63%. It's in two parts.
It doesn't like so many urls, so they are in the next post.

Four FEI qualifying rides is a pretty good day. I think I overdid it or didn't drink enough, though. I keep feeling like my heart is beating too fast.
Last edited by Tanga on Mon May 03, 2021 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 03, 2021 1:46 am

Well done, Tanga! I shall enjoy watching your videos after dinner.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon May 03, 2021 1:18 pm

Congratulations Tanga nice rides. Thank you for sharing the videos.

I don't know if it's my age, stress or a combination of both but I'm finding this time around trying to ride in a true third level frame being not exactly exhausting; but I'm struggling with finding the inner strength to carry it through on my part............Junior is just really being asked to perform a true collected canter and maintain it; so, I can't say I've been really 'working it' for a length of time to build my own stamina/strength but I just don't remember it being this hard and it really was only 6 years ago I performed Prix St George in recognized competition. Of course that was on the stinker pony who at 13 hands doesn't have the power and muscle that Junior does. Side Note: Stopped in to see the stinker pony yesterday after my lesson. He was fat, sassy and happy. My friend and colleague has given him the perfect retirement in his opinion LOL. Getting back to my strength and stamina. I'm a runner. I also do HIIT work outs regularly. I'm strong for my size and age; so, I'm scratching my head wondering where I'm missing the mark. I just purchased some resistance bands a few weeks ago and am going to give those a try and see if that helps.

Took Junior and Brandon over to my instructor yesterday. My daughter was a huge help (she had a test to take but was more than willing to put it off to help me LOL). Brandon was more nervous than I've seen him. It was very windy with gusts up to 30 miles an hour, dust devils all around and quite a bit going on at all the neighbors. Still we managed to get tacked up and ride our intro tests. I really shouldn't ride him next weekend given his current level of acceptance (OR NOT) of the bit; but, there were no unscheduled dismounts and he managed to keep it together even when he gave a thought or two to bolting. All-in-all he did relatively well hauling out for the second time ever and then being ridden. I'm still going to take him; but, reserve the right to scratch our tests if I think he's not going to find it a positive experience. As always, we shall see.

My daughter and I were laughing because we found it ironic that Junior is now considered to be the senior 'steady eddie'. She still calls him booger boy because she finds him to be quite the snot. Any how, he was the consummate trooper. We're still trying to get the concept of flying changes. I mean he sort of gets it and when he does them they are clean; but, you can tell they're still a figment of my imagination more than reality (though I do have them on Pivo). We did manage to maintain more jump in the canter and are continuing to work on our ability to 'rate' the canter which is no surprise to be the keys to our success. I'm riding both second 3 (which I hope to see improvement with) and third 1, likely a bit of an embarrassment; but, my goals will be to not give away any points on the movements that we really can perform well if I demand that he be through and round (as well as the engagement being there). My instructor (an L grad with distinction) gave us a 9 on our halt and rein back yesterday and 8s on our medium and extended trot.........so some things are getting better.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 03, 2021 1:54 pm

Exvet, I'm wondering if you've ever done any Feldenkrais work? The idea is to get maximum effect with minimum muscular effort, and I have to say, while doing my kettlebell workout yesterday, which I'm just getting the fitness back for, I found that I was having a much easier time with the squats, which are my nemesis. It's also helping me untangle some of my more vexing position issues. Coincidentally, I just finished my third 30 day FeldenFit set. Best of all, they only take about 10 minutes a day and are easy/gentle, so I often do them right before bed. Not to be one of those evangelizing people, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Tanga, great job with those scores! Really impressive!

I did ride Annabelle yesterday morning. First I tried to get the Pivo working for me in the indoor, but the arena was needed for a lesson, so we headed out into the wind. She didn't even flick an ear at the geese on the canal, or the hot tape that starts flapping when it gets windy and tends to spook all the horses. She is showing some hints of self carriage and the C/W transitions are getting cleaner. We rode migrating rectangles in trot and canter, so lots of corners and straight lines that really got her carrying behind. My smartwatch said I'd climbed 33 flights of stairs, so apparently her canter is getting much more uphill feeling!

Tesla managed to set aside her temper tantrum about being worked at turnout time and we had a good double-lunging session. Canter continuing to improve, though it's still wonky to the right. It looks like our weekend of wind is winding down, so I'm looking forward to riding tonight. The last couple rides I've started what I'm calling "Man from Snowy River" style and riding one-handed with the crop in the other hand and using it liberally for spanks on the butt. Hopefully it will be a temporary thing, because it is not conducive to riding with any kind of company at all, but it's getting the message across.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon May 03, 2021 2:27 pm

congrats, Tanga! those are truly fabulous scores at any level, but especially at the highest ones! You should be really proud of all the hard work you've put in! So thrilled for you!

Exvet--I feel the same way. I feel like I am just not fit/strong enough for the work I need to do with MM at this level. Unlike you, I can't look back and say 'well, I could do it before', so a lot of it might just be something i've never been fit enough for. But I also wonder if this period--third level--is in some ways especially hard because we're having to help the horse more and that at some point they will able to self carry more? I don't know if that's really true, I'm just hoping it is. I'm also finding that i am generally low energy these days and I'm not exactly sure why that is. Perhaps I need a vacation/break from work/life where I can just catch up on sleep for a few days.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 pm

exvet wrote:Congratulations Tanga nice rides. Thank you for sharing the videos.

I don't know if it's my age, stress or a combination of both but I'm finding this time around trying to ride in a true third level frame being not exactly exhausting; but I'm struggling with finding the inner strength to carry it through on my part............Junior is just really being asked to perform a true collected canter and maintain it; so, I can't say I've been really 'working it' for a length of time to build my own stamina/strength but I just don't remember it being this hard and it really was only 6 years ago I performed Prix St George in recognized competition.

interesting, I said this same thing to my trainer making the jump to collection. At this point it's a lot of mental and physical energy and I find a nice 30 min session helpful with breaks. It just feels like I need more and is hard, not "sweating efforts" but more mental and physically draining. The harmony is good, so it's not anything bad....

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 03, 2021 3:36 pm

Nice tests, Tanga. Really good scores, too! Thanks for posting. I love your mares and they are a testament to your good training because they try so hard for you. I like your freestyle music. I need to watch it a few more times. My eye isn’t trained so I watch the horse the first time through and don’t pay a lot of attention to the music. I think I’ll enjoy it even more when I watch it again.

I can really relate to those that are feeling they could use some more strength. I don’t think I can do much to improve mine because of my age. I’m just happy trying to “think” my way around the issue. I still feel like I can make good progress, but if I worry about how long it’s taking I just add frustration and that delays things even more.

Speaking of frustration, I’m going outside in a few minutes to try my new pivo for the first time on a horse. We’ve had much needed rain for a week and today is the first time I’ll be using it outside. The self video has made a big difference in my work but the frustration of the SS3 was getting almost counter productive. I think the Pivo is going to be a big improvement!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon May 03, 2021 4:58 pm

So I only rode ONCE this last week, very bad on my part. Otoh, it is what it is i guess. I had intended to ride at least Friday evening but it wound up being 85F and neither I nor the horses were prepared for that sudden heat wave (day before it was raining and 45 I think). Saturday started out blustery and only got worse as the day went on, but it was at least warm, like low 70's, and so I was determined to ride after work and before ds headed out for the Prom. Soon as I got them caught, wind picked up speed, of course, so that by the time I was actually riding, the "gusts" were 40-50mph. When it gets that strong, you can't hear anything but the darn wind, the wheel lines start crawling across the field towards the road and the ponies get crabby. :lol: Nonetheless, I prevailed in my determination to get some work out of each of them AND, once again, stuck with the plan of cantering Tio both directions every ride. The down side was that on Sunday I just didn't wish to deal with the wind (or the cold) at all, so I stayed inside and did other stuff instead. This week family arrives for Mom's funeral and to look through her possessions, so I probably won't get any riding in until Sunday.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 04, 2021 3:05 am

The pivo was a fail today but at least now I know why. Right before I got the pivo my iPhone automatically updated to iOS 14.5 and Pivo is having a problem with that update. Waahhhh. They are working on it and hopefully they’ll get it fixed soon.

The pivo gave me an opportunity to just let go of my frustration and ride. The ride turned out good. And I cleared up in my mind about what I wrote earlier today about “thinking my way around” the lack of strength issue. The thing is, I have enough strength to ride Rocky well, IF I keep her where she needs to be all of the time. She has to be stepping under my seat every single step, and she has to stay very consistently round. As long as she is stepping under and round, I can ask for little improvements and she understands and tries for me. It takes a LOT of concentration to keep her consistently under and round. I can lose either quality in a single stride and not even be aware that I’ve lost it. The problems happen when I don’t realize I’ve lost it and ask anyway. And it’s even more complicated by the fact that I subconsciously deny that I’ve lost her, or am losing her. Then I try to put more physical effort into it and that actually makes it worse. I have this problem during lessons to because I don’t think many trainers are as patient as they could/should be with less talented horses and riders. But that’s another issue...

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue May 04, 2021 1:29 pm

I was impressed by all of you who are able to ride 5 days a week. I used to be such a warrior; so, I was determined last night to fit in some riding after work. I was surprised that even with dealing with a few emergencies I was able to leave on time. Got home and the weather was great and was able to ride both boys. Since I have the schooling show this weekend, I'm going to try to fit in more riding tonight; but, we'll see. Getting off of work at a reasonable hour is such a moving target. I'm hoping that increasing my time in the saddle will benefit both the horses and myself in multiple ways. I also bit the bullet and plan to try the Bomber happy mouth to see if that improves Brandon's acceptance of the bit. He's still clearly very unhappy with the contact and though he will go quietly for many strides when he does decide to express his displeasure it can be quite dramatic.

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 04, 2021 2:53 pm

Exvet I had my holistic vet take a look at Joplin’s mouth to help me decide on a bit for her. She has a thick tongue fleshy lips especially in the corners and not much room. Her recommendation was the D myler comfort snaffle. I’ve also bought the NS tactio and a baucher to try on Joplin. Her resistance was getting worse as I started asking more lateral work. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Maybe we should have a bit swapping group. All my others have been fairly easy to deal with though I do think Rip could go better in something different. At this point I’m not sure I’m going to pursue it though

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue May 04, 2021 3:10 pm

exvet wrote:I was impressed by all of you who are able to ride 5 days a week.

I'm self-employed and WFH full time. Riding mid-day is easy, provided there are no pending deadlines. There are weeks when I only manage 2-3 rides, and weeks where I'm in the saddle 7 days.

Before I went independent, I was only in an office 2-3 days a week, and, even then, I was fairly flexible to work elsewhere too. That flexibility came in handy when Dad's health problems spiked, and I needed to relocate to Memphis for months at a time.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue May 04, 2021 4:07 pm

So I rushed home and got a couple rides in last night after work. Usually I ride Rudy first; 1) because he's "easy" and 2) he's the herd boss and royalty always goes before peasantry, lol. But every once in awhile, just to keep things interesting, I hop on Tio first, like I did last night! He was a little feisty and I didn't want to take the time to lunge, and so we just headed right out down the roads at a brisk trot instead. Trotted a mile or so without shenanigan's (yea) and then went to work. Meanwhile the neighbor had irrigation pump problems across the road from us which Tio wanted to observe/possibly advise on. ;) Nonetheless, I stuck with the plan, did the usual trot work and then stepped into canter right by the "bad" spot. All was well until we hit that spot, where he dropped out of canter, slightly stumbled, got all discombobulated and refused to canter again! I wound up hopping off and putting him on the lunge where I had him canter off of voice command only. When I remounted, I trotted him right back to that area, asked for canter, and........SUCCESS! End of session.

On Rudy, I continue to work on staying more upright (no tilting forward) in the trot, such that switching between rising and sitting causes no change in my upper body. I have to REALLY concentrate to keep from slipping into old habits and at the end of a session, I really feel it in my upper abdominal muscles. Rudy, in response, is developing more cadence in the trot and feels just more "through". I wish I had word to describe, but all I can say is that it feels like I am sitting on a horse that is evenly bowed from nose to tail. also good news, is that he is no longer anticipating discomfort in the canter and is back to happy, forward canter. If I stay upright through all transitions there too, he does not drop down, curl or "stutter step" (as Hilda called it) in the downwards transitions. I had neither the mental no physical energy to stay with the program for more than about 20 minutes, but it was a highly effective session.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 05, 2021 1:56 pm

khall wrote:Exvet I had my holistic vet take a look at Joplin’s mouth to help me decide on a bit for her. She has a thick tongue fleshy lips especially in the corners and not much room. Her recommendation was the D myler comfort snaffle. I’ve also bought the NS tactio and a baucher to try on Joplin. Her resistance was getting worse as I started asking more lateral work. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Maybe we should have a bit swapping group. All my others have been fairly easy to deal with though I do think Rip could go better in something different. At this point I’m not sure I’m going to pursue it though

I have the D myler comfort snaffle. It's the one I'm using on Brandon currently. I have two other styles of the myler snaffle bit (all USDF legal) that I've tried on him as well. The loose ring is what I use on Junior. I have an egg-butt one that I use on Ace. None of them seem to really appeal to Brandon. I've also have a stock pile (though not to the extreme it once was) of KK and herm sprenger bits including a couple of tongue relief styles that really don't seem to please anyone I have now but because they worked in the past on prior horses I hang on to them. My one baucher went with the stallion (who now is ridden maybe once or twice a year; but, it is the one he prefers). It would be nice to have a 'swap' shop opportunity though I do have some access to others to try through the various trainers and instructors I know. Unfortunately, no one accessible had the one I ordered; so, there you go and the tack hoarding continues LOL.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 05, 2021 2:02 pm

I too rushed home last night and managed to get rides in on Brandon and Junior. They both came up to the barn when they saw me so I don't think they're objecting to this new routine, at least not yet. I hope to be able to keep this up at least as long as the weather holds which should be through the first week of June then it'll likely start remaining too hot to ride in the early evening. We closed on our lot in the higher elevation yesterday; so, while it's a close to 2-hour haul I now have access to a covered arena and out door dressage arena this summer if I get really desperate. As for today, after Sunday's lessons/arena rides working on tests and two more evening rides in the arena it's time to hit the trail. We'll likely get 6-8 miles in today. I'll probably end it with some cavaletti work (mostly focusing on the walk) on Junior. I'm hoping the variety will prevent Junior from getting sour on the idea of work.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 05, 2021 2:17 pm

Exvet let us know how Brandon likes the bomber bit. That sweet iron may appeal to him. Yes the bit collection continues here as well! What I’m dealing with as well is that Joplin has a larger mouth than my others so needs a 5 1/4 bit. Most of mine are 5. I did sell a bunch of tack this year that’s just been sitting here so having a few more bits I’m ok with:)

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 05, 2021 2:46 pm

khall wrote:Exvet let us know how Brandon likes the bomber bit. That sweet iron may appeal to him. Yes the bit collection continues here as well! What I’m dealing with as well is that Joplin has a larger mouth than my others so needs a 5 1/4 bit. Most of mine are 5. I did sell a bunch of tack this year that’s just been sitting here so having a few more bits I’m ok with:)

Will do. I just received the shipping notice and it's tentatively to arrive on Saturday. Wish I could try it before the show but I've gone through this so many times I also realize that it may still NOT be the answer. If Brandon settles in at the show and seems okay I'll just take a low mark for the tests due to his 'not accepting the bit'. I figure the mileage is more important than the score. If he's too unsettled we'll just scratch and at least school him there. His tendency is to rear when he's really getting into butt head mode which fortunately I don't find all that scary (nor had it happened that often) but I'd rather avoid it and do think the bit(s) is the main source. He moves off the leg so well and he's beginning to appreciate my attempts to help him and keep him balanced. If I can resolve this one aspect I think I'll have a chance to really get going with him.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 05, 2021 11:58 pm

Well the tactio came in. What an interesting looking bit. I don’t know but I will give it a try hopefully tomorrow.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu May 06, 2021 8:09 am

I rode with stirrups for the first time in nearly 3 months. Rising trot is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 06, 2021 3:47 pm

Yay, mari, glad you are back to full tack!

Khall, I'll be really interested in what you think of the tactio. It looks like they can be ordered from the UK for "only" about $200, which would probably make it possible to recoup most of the cost reselling if it's not an improvement on the current NS bit.

Tesla is at the vet overnight after getting a couple sarcoids removed. The one in her ear kept coming back, so we went for the big guns chemo/electro treatment and hope that third time''s the charm. She'll probably get a few days off from anything requiring pulling a bridle over her ears.

Annabelle is chugging along. We tried cantering some cavaletti last night to rather awkward results. I think she is confused on what is a jump and what is a cavaletti right now. I'm off work today, so I might haul her out to ride at another arena after I go collect Tesla from the horspital.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Thu May 06, 2021 5:13 pm

StraightForward wrote:
Annabelle is chugging along. We tried cantering some cavaletti last night to rather awkward results. I think she is confused on what is a jump and what is a cavaletti right now.

The first time i introduced MM to raised trot poles, she took all 4 in one giant leap :shock:

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu May 06, 2021 7:25 pm

blob wrote:
StraightForward wrote:
Annabelle is chugging along. We tried cantering some cavaletti last night to rather awkward results. I think she is confused on what is a jump and what is a cavaletti right now.

The first time i introduced MM to raised trot poles, she took all 4 in one giant leap :shock:

over-achiever ....LOL

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri May 07, 2021 3:48 am

I once had the great idea of a bit library where you could check out a bit to borrow for 2 weeks and return it or buy it. lol.

I'm chugging along. I think I might have the pixem working. I had one video of feet only which was an interesting perspective on training but not entirely useful. then I had one of the ceiling . I finally managed to actually get some of me riding.

The saddle fitter came to tweak all my saddles. remind me sternly to never buy foam. it's fecking ridiculous to have to shim a saddle to use it when my wool.flocked saddles can.be custom fit and breath better anyway.

Kimba is finally filling in evenly in her.muscling. Caliburn has gained an inch or so of muscle over the back and Saiph is managing her weight fairly well.

as for training Cali beginning to find his suppleness in shoulder in and starting to get his square halts. Kimba is doing her best to develop 3 beat rhythm in her collected canter and lateral work. she has also started to throw in random fc instead of holding her counter canter.

I put a few screenshots and video on my Facebook if anyone wants to see

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 07, 2021 5:35 am

blob wrote:
StraightForward wrote:

LOL, that's always fun. Last summer I tried setting up a pole to trot in to a jump grid and Annabelle decided it was just part of the jump, so we know she can handle spreads at least. Seeing a grid always tends to power her right up.

Good ride on A this afternoon. Worked on keeping her more in a round frame and riding a square in trot alternating between HI and SI for each line. We also rode lots of shallow loops interrupted with voltes. Switching between square and round figures seems to be good for her. Still arguing with my body to stop scrunching up my right shoulder. Yesterday I warmed up riding one handed with my left hand and trying to drop my shoulder; I can see improvement but still a work in progress as my body still seems to find ways to collapse left.

Telsa has a few sutures in her chest from the sarcoid removal, so she'll be off for a few days until I think things look like they're knitting back together. Hopefully she won't be too obnoxious about not being turned out, but she tends to take high offense to that.
Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 am

We joined the jumping lesson early this morning. Cavaletti only, while this stupid ankle knits up properly. It went super, the exercise was 3 poles in a line, 5 working strides each distance. We started with the 5-5 distances to find our rhythm, then we had to gallop it in 4-4, then 5-6. Odin was a rock star.

The only thing that was a fly in the ointment was that I really wanted to show off how consistent the changes had become, and he wasn't having it. After months of me riding with long dangly legs, he was very disconcerted with jumping-length legs...

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 pm

khall wrote:Exvet let us know how Brandon likes the bomber bit. That sweet iron may appeal to him. Yes the bit collection continues here as well! What I’m dealing with as well is that Joplin has a larger mouth than my others so needs a 5 1/4 bit. Most of mine are 5. I did sell a bunch of tack this year that’s just been sitting here so having a few more bits I’m ok with:)

So the bomber bit arrived yesterday and I tried it out on Brandon after work. It was nirvana but he no longer sticks his tongue out the side. He's still nailing me in the hands/shoulders and tries to grab/root the reins; but, there is definite improvement. I rode again this morning but just on a long trail ride. Again, no tongue sticking out or violent reactions to turning and such. The rooting and grabbing I think has more to do with his lack of strength and where he's at in his training right now. I'm going to try it at the show tomorrow. We may just school or I may brave the tests. It's going to be one of those in the moment decisions I'm afraid.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat May 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Exvet, it is interesting the impact of bit types! Good luck with your show adventure. It will be good learning, one way or another.

I appreciate everyone's on-going updates. Ours is pretty simple:

5 months post a front suspensory injury, we are continuing to gradually increase work. I've really taken a slow path here with Emi and the difference in her overall strength and ability to carry in trot work makes me think that was the right pace. She is quite a bit stronger than she was 6 weeks ago. We continue with a lot of hilly hacking plus ring work with large figures (no canter yet). Overall, she has been a total gem about it and I am hopeful for her future. She does get regular turnout, so if she is cantering wildly there, I don't see it :lol: (although the barn reports that she is very chill and just strolls about her day)

Our goal: Keep going. Continue strength development and keep increasing the simple transitions to develop the ability to carry and not pound the front legs. I recall in my old normal rides, I might have 300+ transitions; now we're in the 75-100 range! (Equilab figures)

khall

Postby khall » Sat May 08, 2021 5:19 pm

Good to read all the updates! Piedmont glad the rehab is going smoothly.
Exvet is the mouthpiece of the bomber bit similar to the myler comfort snaffle? Good luck at the show!!

The tactio came this week and I’ve ridden in it twice. I ordered the one with the loose ring. It has a very different mouthpiece than any other bit I’ve used. Joplin seems to go better in it with a more relaxed mouth than the kk I usually ride in. We’re not 100% comfortable yet but much better. I’m going to keep riding in it for a bit and see before trying any other bits.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm

~5 rides in and I love this dang saddle. Thank goodness as it cost enough! With teeth taken care of and another chiro adjustment and new stretches for Kora’s shoulders I thought what the hey just go for a lesson anyway.

It’s raw and ugly but we got a lot of good ‘how to move on from here’. Fair reminder we haven’t ridden truly since the end of November.
This clip is our full 2nd set. My friend had her pixio set up already from her lesson and let me borrow for mine which was so great.

https://youtu.be/5xzXXtrUk8Y

Piedmont I remember those days of 1-2 mins addition of trot each week with a past horse. Congrats on gaining strength and moving through the process.

Exvet can’t wait to hear about the show!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun May 09, 2021 3:51 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Exvet, it is interesting the impact of bit types! Good luck with your show adventure. It will be good learning, one way or another.

Indeed it was :o :oops: :roll: :lol:

So I tried to get to the show grounds before the first ride of the show in order to walk Brandon around the competition arena. Well a low fuel light thwarted that plan. We get there and a friend of mine is already in the arena. We get the boys out and walk them around the warm up arena and the grounds. Both seemed to be doing well. We tied them to the trailer and then checked in, again all good. We had close to two hours for them to let down and settle which they both seemed calm and unaffected by the comings and goings. I decide to get on Brandon about 40 min before his first test just to see how he's going to be and if I would need to scratch. He has never been around so many horses in an arena including lunging horses. He was nervous at first but seemed to listen okay despite this being his first show and only the third time hauling out. His tension spot is definitely his mouth. Bomber bit or no it didn't matter. He was totally determined to get the bit out of his mouth and leave me with it.

Now you have to realize being the old war warrior that I am I backed my trailer in to a spot right next to the warm up arena. Junior could see everything and I mean everything. I've never taken Junior to a show with another horse. THAT thought had literally never crossed my mine before our downward spiral started because he's always been so good. I soon realized (about 10 minutes of riding) that Brandon really isn't calming down in any way only to hear Junior SCREAMING and then saw him doing lavade and capriole tied to the trailer making all around very nervous. My daughter untied him and started walking him around and then Brandon started screaming. This continued for 20 minutes and things were not getting better. In fact Junior was striking at my daughter and just being a huge ASS. Then if that wasn't enough, 3 competitors turned their horses out into turn outs that bordered the warm up and of course they didn't know each other and were a mix of sexes. They were bombing around squealing and striking.....that's when Brandon decided to take to rearing, baby rears fortunately. I decided to scratch my tests since things were getting dangerous and there was nothing to be gained by forcing the issue. I walked Brandon around enough under saddle after his two rears to establish that forward and attention on me was all that was going to be accepted and then left the arena on my terms and dismounted when I wanted to, not by his initiative.

At that point I decided that Junior was going to give me the rides of his life. My tests on him were another two hours away. We walked the dynamic duo all over the grounds, hand grazed them and tied them back to the trailer (I of course had my hands on Junior this time). Everything went well like nothing had ever happened. I realized, however, that my poor daughter was going to have to have Brandon in Junior's sights if I was going to get anything good accomplished. When it came time to mount and warm up Junior he was all piss and vinegar. He was making most bad-acting studs look like kittens. My daughter knew just where to hand graze Brandon so it helped. I did my best to work Junior forward, not running and try to get him to come over his back and achieve some sort of relaxation. It was sort of hit and miss but all of a sudden I noticed a peanut gallery gathering. Most of my work was forward and back within the gaits and honestly Mr. Shithead was tense but still giving me the scope of gaits I've never seen or ridden before yesterday. My first test was tense; but, I did earn a 7 and 7.5 on my medium trots and canters and thus a 7 on gaits despite the tension. We did only get a 64 for the test and the comment that he needed to be more engaged for the level, LOL. I had only 10 minutes before my third 1 test so he didn't get a huge break which was good. I didn't work him much other than walk around and went right back down center line. As the judge said, there were some good moments. There were times when he was right on my seat with nice loft and cadence at the collected trot. Again we earned 7's on the mediums and 7.5 on the extended gaits! Junior's extended trot was actually there all.....the.....way.....across.....the.....diagonal! We earned a 4 on our first flying change attempt...LOL....he was tense and late behind. We earned a 5 on our second one due to the fact that we got a clean change and then one stride out he came down to trot (too much on the brake pedal) but at least the change was good. I earned a 61 and change for our very first and only time we've done an entire third level test.

The peanut gallery all had to know what breed he is. They were very kind giving us tons of compliments. Mr. Power House was loving every minute of the adoration. The judge's main comment was dead on, 'need to establish more consistent collection and engagement for this level' but as stated there were movements where you could feel and see that a FEI horse lurks somewhere underneath the shenanigans LOL. Now my conundrum is what to do going forward. I have decided to up the ante on Brandon and start taking him (alone) to occasional lessons just to get him out and establish that work is expected on his solo voyages. As for showing, I'm not sure how I'm going to juggle it but likely they will be shown one at a time and not trailered together for a show. Perhaps if I can get them through a few clinics together (which will wait due to how green Brandon is) and survive I can reconsider trying to show them at the same show but with just two as opposed to my long time history of taking 3-4 at a time I'm going to have some real work ahead of me to break up the marriage. What surprises me the most is that Junior is the one that is more married than Brandon. The day did end with some good notes and the reaffirmation that horses will make you humble each and every time. I did get video of my tests but because I had to pay a professional to do it since my daughter was too busy babysitting, it is going to take me some time to get to where I can download them and then reload them to photo bucket.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Aleuronx, no ugly there! Looking good, especially after all you've been through. I'm glad the saddle is working out! I have a saddle fitter coming today, send good vibes.

Exvet, I'm exhausted reading your post! Way to preserve and do so well at third! That's pretty exciting. It will only get better.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun May 09, 2021 5:52 pm

Lipsmackerpony88, Thank you and I'm sorry I wore you out lol.........as always, the horse thing, as is dressage, are always an adventure.

khall - the bomber bit (I purchased a D-ring) is like a mullen with a tilted port. I rode Brandon today on the trail in it. I do think he does better in it compared to all the others I've tried. The second in line is the D ring mylar snaffle level 1. He's still not sold on the idea of contact; but, he does seem to at least tolerate this bit better than the others.

Aleuronx - I see no ugly. Glad you love your saddle. I have to admit that I'm loving the prestige I bought back in November. Comes with free re-flocking for the first two years so I'll be sending it to the fitter in July when it begins to get too hot to ride much.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 pm

Oh, no ugly in the 2nd set but ugly here at the start. I'll share this because between 'your leg is touching me hissy fits' Kora does some damn cracking angry trotting that has me excited for the future when she's on the right side of things. I'm silver lining here but also saddle is very secure. :lol:

https://youtu.be/9YOiNwsI_J0

Sending you big good saddle fitting options vibes Lipsmackerpony. I don't want to deal with that mess again anytime soon!

Exvet sorry you had some attached ponies raising some drama. At least that gave Junior some fire for some nice rides/scores. I'm sure you'll get Brandon sorted out with a bit he's happy with. Gosh between saddles and bits horses really can be trial and error.

khall

Postby khall » Sun May 09, 2021 10:21 pm

Aleuronx glad you are back in the saddle and not nearly as dramatic with Kora’s resistance!
Exvet hoo boy glad it worked out with both even if you had to scratch Brandon. Not fun dealing with the trailer buddy issue. Why if I go with mine off to work I just take one though I do trailer with friends occasionally and that too can be an issue. Rip never really was one to worry about other peoples horses but does get that way over my crew. Joplin too can get buddy sour when trailered with Rip. Horses!!

Have you looked at the tactio bits at all? Very different mouthpiece to them and the action in the mouth is different. Not sure how much riding will happen this week with storms forecasted 4 days. Need rain to make our hay field and pastures grow but not most of the week:(

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 am

Quite the show exvet. I have had a couple like that. Totally unknowing that 2 horses can fall in love...or just be horses...in a short haul to a show.
Aleuronx...that looks so familiar. Kyra was a pistol like that in her younger days. She did come out the other side ;) .

Kyra and I have been plugging along. Our outdoor FINALLY got worked yesterday. During the week it was difficult to find a workable area. We got a bunch of rain over 2 weeks ago and the arena got too wet to work. It took about 5 days to dry sufficiently but I don't know why it didn't get worked sooner. It gets to a point after a heavy rain like that where it "sets" up so all the hoof prints become little craters. I can't walk in it with my sorry feet and I sure as heck won't ride her in it either. So, we have had one track session, one long rein session in another arena that was more level but far from ideal and finally, I got a good ride in today.

On the track, she had her alert level at about DefCon 3. There are a ton of geese along the canal that isn't far from the track and they have had constant turf battles for nesting and many goslings of different ages and that day they were horrible. A couple were ON the hay shed stomping around. That happens to be where I mount so that was exciting and started our ride with a bang. She stood fine but was just hyper aware from that point forward. That said, she was pretty good but hard to hold her attention (Oh...look, there is a car going down the road 1/2 mile away :o ). Our long line session was kind of blah. My feet hurt and I suppose I just wasn't that into it but she had some nice moments and was prompt and obedient.

Today, since I have been doing a lot of walk work, I set up a cone at random places in the arena. I had five in all. This is a Karen Rolhf exercise from one of her videos. We would ride to a cone and I would do one of three things at the cone...move her haunches around her forehand, the forehand around the haunches or sideways over the cone. Then change focus to a different cone and head straight to that cone and another exercise. By the time I was done, she was very nicely off the leg and matched with my focus. We did take it up to trot between the cones and after halting, doing the exercise then trotting off to the next cone, she was trotting off wonderfully forward with just a whisper of leg. My back felt pretty good so I am hoping that I am getting healed up whatever I did to it back in February. We finished off with our hill work :lol: (there is a bank behind the indoor and it takes about 5 strides to the top). I have her serpentine down the length of the building and back so she gets about 4 ups and downs each trip. We did a walk around the barn and she didn't even lose it over the quail that were popping out of the bushes. That is pretty amazing for her.

I have managed to row 3 days last week. I am up to 2000m. Yes, I start slow but at least I have started. My feet have just not been interested in walking at all so I have to find something that gets my body moving. I need to add some strength stuff 3 days a week also.

Happy riding all.
Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “Dressage Training”