Sweat equity: July-August goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Sweat equity: July-August goals and progress

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:50 am

Awoke to clear blue skies on Saturday for the first time in ages. Went to watch Jeremy Steinberg teach a clinic in the morning, which was interesting and held some very helpful nuggets.

On the way to the barn after, we saw an ominous pillar of black smoke just to the west of us... a very fast moving wildfire that had some 6000 people hurriedly evacuating, and refilled the entirety of the Wasatch Back with thick, acrid smoke, one more time.

Praying for rain this week. Those people are out of their homes until at least Tuesday.

On a more positive note, I've had excellent rides on Potters, and I think I finally cracked the code for right lead canter today (vs.either passage or Spanish walk, which were the options I've been getting up to now, and whilst entertaining, a little frustrating...) Got to sit distinctively but not too heavily on that right seat bone, thighs off,, and just move the lower legs, whilst staying out of his face, or it just isn't happening. And have to keep a steady gentle pulse with the inside calf, or it isn't sustaining.

Lesson tomorrow evening. Certainly hoping the smoke has cleared up some by then.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:59 pm

hoping everyone out west gets rain soon. Such a scary/terrible situation.

Mountaineer--sounds like great progress with Potters. It's been fun to read about your journey getting to know him. J.Steinberg was just here last weekend, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to audit. He usually comes to the area 1-2 times a year, so hopefully next time.

I'm getting ready for a trip to WY and SD with a friend--we leave on Friday. So there seems to be an endless list of things to do in order to get ready for that trip. So, I'm not sure how much riding I'll actually get done this week and then of course ponies will both get 13 days off while i'm away.

RP is looking sound now trotting down the barn isle, but I haven't done anything more. I figure with my trip, he may as well get a little more time off to heal and then I can get him legged back up when i'm back in town. Regionals is the second weekend of October. I'm not sure if he'll be ok by then. I guess that depends on whether he's truly 100% when i'm back or not. We shall see.

MM has been doing well and the break is good timing for her. She does well with time off and she has earned a good break.

On an interesting note...I have been working with a nutritionist to try to get to the root of RP's gassiness problems. She offered to look at any nutritional needs/questions I had related to MM as well for the same price. So, of course I said yes. I've always kept MM on a low NCS diet because it seemed like the right thing to do. And although she is not IR, she is the type more prone to it, so it seemed like the right thing to do. Well, the nutritionist suggested that I might not be providing MM with enough easily useable/fast burning energy and that she probably actually needs more starch. So, we swapped out 1lbs of her current feed with 1lbs of what is basically sweet feed. The two are comparable in kcal (though the sweet feed is a bit more as to be expected), but one is high fat, low NCS and the other is low fat, higher NCS. Of course, I was afraid she was instantly turn into a hippo. But interestingly she's actually lost weight with this change. I don't know if that's because the calories are easier to use and so she's actually burning more efficiently or what. But it's very interesting.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Yeah, the smoke has been gross, so I didn't ride all weekend.

This morning the air quality was OK-ish enough for some light rides.

Tesla reared with me for the first time since last fall. :shock: So I guess it's back to safety vest and martingale for a bit. I think she is just having some mental "don't wanna'" related to being pushed more with canter and some bigger girl trot. My plan is to just let things settle at this new level until her attitude improves. Other than just a bit of normal muscle soreness, I don't think it's anything physical because she is happy as a clam once she gets past the objections. After getting through the sticky she actually gave me some lovely work and we devised a new exercise of riding 3/4 of a 20 m circle, and then at the middle of the arena, peeling off in a sweepy LY back to the long side, then keeping that feeling rejoining the 20 m circle down at the other short end. We are also starting a bit of SF/baby SI, and a touch of HI in walk. Lateral work is easy for her, but she gets a little excited, so I'm keeping things in a low dosage.

Annabelle, I'm working on getting more on-demand stretchy trot, more accurate canter transitions, lengthenings and square halts. I read a good article on teach half steps this weekend, so I'm going to get back at that. Really haven't done it since bringing her back into work last year. We are showing next weekend, so not rocking the boat too much until then.

Started cantering the Shire this week. That pretty much covers my core workouts :lol: We don't have right lead yet, but I'm starting to introduce a bit of HI at the walk. He is getting better with his attention span, and staying a bit more connected in his transitions.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Mountaineer yeah you and potters!!

Blob that is very interesting. I’m constantly battling weight issues with my horses. Just so much grass here.

SF ugh I hear you on the push back. Gaila will too just does not put that much energy into it. I have to keep her a bit rounder or stretched to help with the I don’t wanna. She just stiffens and stops. Had a nice ride on her yesterday after dealing with the I don’t wannas initially. Joplin is so opposite. Just swings along happily and never says no. Had a lovely lovely ride on her yesterday playing with some stretching and just allowing that forward sweepy trot she has. I do want to work on the stretching and then shortening the rein with her. Make that a bit smoother. Having success in the canter as well thanks to watching exvet’s video with Brandon in the young horse thread. She does such a lovely job with the youngsters!

It is brutally humid here. Temps are in the 80’s but man you are wringing wet with any outside activities. I was soaked after riding two yesterday. Now a week of rain and more rain. Impact from the tropical system and then just unsettled. Like we need any more rain!

Stay cool and happy riding all!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:30 pm

Lots of sweating here, too, khall! Just in time for that brutal reminder that there are still 45-60 more days of >90F temperatures and >60% humidity left in the summer.

(Why do people even live here??)

Keeping on keepin' on with Queso. I had accessed a magical phase of really adjustable trot with lots of airtime and cadence, but that appears to have melted in the unrelenting heat (along with my work ethic). Or, less facetiously, I'm asking for a more uphill balance and having to put back together things we thought were already locked in. But I'm still blaming the unrelenting heat.

Because I need something to look forward to, I bought him a double (despite not being at all ready for it) and think he just looks too dapper. Basically the cutest boy. Now we just have to, you know, get actually trained up to 3rdish so we don't look like poseurs trotting around in the double.

SF-- good luck at the show! I touch on baby half-steps pretty frequently with Queso because it helps connect the dots between loading the hind end and carrying the front end but without having to also worry about covering ground. Curious what exercises you'll be using on Annabelle if you care to share. I think we may have very similar training journeys here.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:SF-- good luck at the show! I touch on baby half-steps pretty frequently with Queso because it helps connect the dots between loading the hind end and carrying the front end but without having to also worry about covering ground. Curious what exercises you'll be using on Annabelle if you care to share. I think we may have very similar training journeys here.

This is the article I read this weekend. Previously I was following Joseph Newcomb's method more or less, but I liked some of the additional detail and more emphasis on developing from the forward steps that's described here. Now to do it before each ride instead of being lazy and plopping my arse in the saddle.
https://dressagetoday.com/instruction/s ... ess-piaffe
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:18 pm

StraightForward wrote:
Ponichiwa wrote:SF-- good luck at the show! I touch on baby half-steps pretty frequently with Queso because it helps connect the dots between loading the hind end and carrying the front end but without having to also worry about covering ground. Curious what exercises you'll be using on Annabelle if you care to share. I think we may have very similar training journeys here.

This is the article I read this weekend. Previously I was following Joseph Newcomb's method more or less, but I liked some of the additional detail and more emphasis on developing from the forward steps that's described here. Now to do it before each ride instead of being lazy and plopping my arse in the saddle.
https://dressagetoday.com/instruction/s ... ess-piaffe

I think the transition from this kind of work to actual piaffe is very difficult--at least it is for me. I can teach a horse to lift its hind legs when cued--to lift them high, to hold them up, to alternate. To lift higher as walking forward, etc. But getting them to actually speed up the lifting of legs and sit seems to be a transition i can't make from this method.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:38 pm

Interesting to hear that, Blob. I could see that being an issue for Annabelle. What I was doing before was keeping her stationary and tapping the hind legs so she would pick them up fairly quickly, then eventually we did a bit of rein back, trot off to get her energized, then quickly halt and ask again for the hinds to lift. I doubt that I'll ever get her piaffing (never say never I guess), but I do want her a little quicker about stepping under behind. She tends to leave her RH way out behind when we halt, and can be really sticky about picking it back up. That issue was better when I was doing the half steps prep work and just being more consistent about expecting both legs to be under for every halt, standing for grooming, etc.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:46 pm

Blob and SF Cedar does a good bit of diagnolized work to get the posture of piaffe. She spends a good bit of time with this then can energize them for piaffe. It’s interesting watching the diagnolized walk and how the piaffe posture is there. That is what we’ve been doing especially with Joplin and some with Gaila

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:15 pm

Interesting with the piaffe stuff. I never learned the tap the hindlegs way, and I think it leads to a hopping croup and walking front legs, but diagonalising the walk is something I've finally got with Norsey. I had a lesson with a different instructor, who teaches piaffe this way (collected walk, then get the diagonalised half steps) and that's helped a lot. Norsey tends to be quick to put his forelegs down and slower with his hinds. Learning it more in place to start with helped get him aligned, he was really twisty to avoid it. And now it's developing more quickly.

While I'm here - Tanga, thanks or sharing your vids again too! I really enjoy watching them. Same with everyone's photos :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Kimba is improving in her counter canter although she still thinks changes are way too exciting and should be run through lol

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:09 pm

I touched on changes for the first time in quite a while over the weekend and all of the carry-your-brisket, learn-how-to-canter-like-a-more-upper-level-horse work is making changes both more accessible and also chaotic. Legs are everywhere. Good news: he's now changing on cue in front every time. Bad news: the hind end could be anywhere at any time.

The joys of 2nd-maybe-3rd, am I right?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:21 pm

So, overnight, we've gone from droughty, dusty and brutally hot to torrential rain, thunderstorms, hail and quite chilly. Not a riding day today, but at least it helps put out the fires and fills the creeks.

Apparently, now I've supposedly learned how to achieve a canter on Potters, next week we get to work on flying changes, so I will have something intelligent to say about them then. I got Laddie to the point where he was clean and calm in one direction, but still late behind in the other. Potters appears to approach them with a degree of "ho hum", so the longer term goal is to get a bit more jump in to them, but yes, I'm kinda glad I haven't got to start all over again with them!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:41 pm

Mountaineer, so good you are getting Potters figured out. He sounds like a good egg (and he is 1/2 arab isn't he?)

I worked Kyra yesterday and she seems to have lost her little resistance/bracing going right so I am pretty sure that me sitting on a snap that is stuck under the saddle was the cause. She worked quite well. I seem to have some of my mojo back and am not yanking the poor girl off balance because I can't stay in the middle. Yesterday we did some nice working trot and she had very nice even shoulder-in both directions. We went back to the baby trot and I must say, it felt really nice. She her carriage was better and it had better cadence and actually had some nice elasticity to it...not something that is usually linked to her gaits. To help on the baby trot to canter transitions, I asked for 3-4 steps of leg yield toward the rail, then canter and her transitions were much better. On the left rein she just stayed sucked onto my seat and we got zero bracing in the transition. She is weaker in the right hind and she usually tries incorporating her lower neck in the canter transitions. It felt wonderful (and I was quite surprised). So I know what we need to keep working on.

Today was her spa day. She got some body work and massage. I think she quite enjoyed it and when she walked off in turnout, she had a beautifully slinky supple walk. She will have tomorrow off and will go back to work on Saturday.

The weather finally broke. Yeah. Now, I just have to deal with my Mother freezing...in the house...at 75 degrees :? . At least she can put more clothes on.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:The weather finally broke. Yeah. Now, I just have to deal with my Mother freezing...in the house...at 75 degrees :? . At least she can put more clothes on.

Have you looked into getting her a heated vest or something? :shock:

I was going to swing by this morning but couldn't even figure out how to get to your barn with all the road closures. Lunged Tesla this morning and she was a little wonky, so it will be interesting to see if there's a difference tonight after getting her Katrina time this morning.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:37 pm

We are finally drying out after what seems like record breaking rain in our small area of the desert; so, I had the opportunity to work in my arena again. I'm getting better canter half-passes from Junior though I still have a lot to work on in terms of keeping the canter quality throughout the movement. He is also becoming a bit more reliable in keeping the counter canter when I want it and changing when I ask for it. Just a few weeks to go until I have a more forward thinking pony again.

As for Colonel Brandon, I've tried the Passier (my daughter's saddle) once and it did appear to fit him the best of all the saddles I've tried so far (not counting my western saddle which has fit him all along). I also lost the flash after lots of pressure from the virtual classical dressage mob - I'm willing to go that route for a while. I focused a lot on just seeing if I could get him to carry himself better at the walk and that didn't seem too hard when that was the sole focus. We also worked on inside leg to outside hand in the vein of trying to get him better balanced. His rooting was lessened about 40-50%.

The boys are getting their pedicure this morning and then it'll likely just be trail riding for today. Can't wait for fall.......but then the guy at the nursery yesterday told me that if we get just one good rain fall this winter we're guaranteed a super-bloom late February - April :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:49 pm

We are all in covid lockdown so I've missed out on a couple of clinics and I do slide backwards without a bit of help. I'm trying to see if my internet will hold up to some online live lessons but not sure that it will. Need to work something out though! On the upside the weather is starting to feel more spring like and I love this time of year.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:27 pm

It's been a week or so of bits n' bobs. Good friend of mine invited me up to join in a trail ride with a bunch of ladies having a ladies weekend at a farm she teaches at. I figured why not!

Trail.jpg
Trail.jpg (151.44 KiB) Viewed 20257 times

It was good group of 9 horses and well we ended up being the bonkers one :oops: Once we started off the trail with everyone (walking mind you) Kora thoroughly lost the plot. There was much airs above the ground, cantering in place and just in general working herself into a lather. She did settle after an embarrassing amount of time and I chastised the ladies for not getting video of the impressive parts other than shouting 'good seat!' to me as I tried to calm the beast. So we can check that off as a never again thanks!

Otherwise we had been plugging away at the right hind homework from our previous lesson/s and feeling stagnant about it and frankly the canter up and left the building. It felt stuck up and down behind and at the same time rushy/scrambled legs. Trainer was out to the farm this week and I lamented to her what I had been feeling and she cocked her head and said "she looks high behind". Spent the lesson in hand gallop light seat for canter and big going trot with the neck down to open the shoulders.

Looked at her on the level ground of the crossties and well...
Growth.jpg
Growth.jpg (159.91 KiB) Viewed 20257 times

Again... Say a good word for us that she pops up in front growth wise and is done soon. Goodness, she's 6!

Had a there and back trip out to a business meeting so she's had a couple days off which is just as well. We will try to manage some rides of our bombing around homework but with a hurricane set to hit New England for the next couple days not sure whether it's worth doing in the indoor. Saddle fitter comes back by on Tuesday to sort us out as well.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:08 am

Aleuronx, you are scaring me with Kora continuing to change so much and being a year older than Tesla.

Showed Annabelle T3 today. She was as good as I could have hoped, but she had a bit of tension and rode conservatively for a 63.5%. Tomorrow I'm sure we'll both feel more confident to go forward. Riding T3 and First 1 tomorrow.

Also discovered Tesla's doppleganger at the show. She just needs to put on about 100# of muscle. Same gaits and everything, it was interesting to watch.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:41 am

Congrats StraightForward, nothing wrong with that score. Good luck tomorrow.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:36 am

SF...good show result. I am going to try and get out to watch your Sunday rides.

Aleuronx, sounds like an exciting trail ride. It is pretty overwhelming for them sometimes. I know my last two I have turned into real arena flowers.
The trail is way out of their comfort zone. And I'm old enough and decrepit enough now that I don't think I want to work Kyra through it. I finally did with my little WB mare but damned, Kyra is so quick and reactive. She teleports :!: .

I actually had other people to ride with today...that is a rarity. Kyra had a bit more tension than usual too. The other people were just walking and trotting but it was more activity than she is used to (I guess). She worked fairly well. Most of the tension was at canter and after I asked her for some C-W-C transitions on a serpentine. She was obedient as could be but got a little jazzed. Did some more baby trot and I got some nice SI and half-pass.
In HP, right was better than left which is also not a surprise. She is still a little puny for much collected work but she is trying. It took a lot to find that gear in her younger years. I don't do very many reps as long as her alignment is fair and she tries...which she usually does...good egg that she is. I tried one lengthened trot and she fired off really nicely. She got 7-8 really nice, even big strides until I kind of lost it (my ability to go with her). I haven't been doing a lot of that but test it from time to time to make sure it is still there.

I wish I could get her softer in the mouth/connection. I knew after finally discovering what her mouth issue was that I may not be a good enough rider to fix that tension and bracing built up in the 2 years until I discovered the pinching issue (including the time to find a bit that didn't). We will just continue working on it. I try really hard to ride back to front but I know that doesn't always happen. Today, part of my issues was reins too long then my hands end up in my lap :P .

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:46 pm

StraightForward, prepare yourself as it's not over yet! I've been mentally keeping myself ignorant and then constantly surprised when the wheels start falling off the bus that duh, it's because her hind legs are too darn tall again. My trainer says just need to get to 8 :?

Congrats on the good test and I hope today's rides are confident and kick on!

Kyra's Mom - I totally get you! I don't think I would have managed with teleports, even still I was thanking my lucky stars that this saddle keeps me so darn secure and it's easy to stay in the middle of whatever is happening underneath. It's funny Kora is happy to trail ride on her own or with one other horse but apparently more than +1 is a no go. Which is honestly fine, now I know type deal. Was laughing in my head on the way back that her sale ad would read 'hacks out alone or with a friend but no groups'. :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:12 pm

Shes still got some way to go to grow into those ears Aleuronx!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:04 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Shes still got some way to go to grow into those ears Aleuronx!

I hope she never does!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:00 pm

Aleuronx wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:Shes still got some way to go to grow into those ears Aleuronx!

I hope she never does!

I agree I love the big ears! Lynx has some big ones too, love it!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:04 pm

Aleuronx wrote:StraightForward, prepare yourself as it's not over yet! I've been mentally keeping myself ignorant and then constantly surprised when the wheels start falling off the bus that duh, it's because her hind legs are too darn tall again. My trainer says just need to get to 8 :?

Yeah. Looking at Tesla's more mature doppelganger at the show the past few days, I can see how much more she has to go with the maturity. I will hope I can make it until she's seven before dropping the money for a custom saddle.

Annabelle was a star today. She was totally rideable, and I didn't have any huge brain farts in my tests. We got 67.069 for T3 today, and 64.286 For First-1. I think we lost some submission points for the 1st level test because flies were irritating her and she shook her head a few times, but still quite happy as it was a first level debut for both of us, and we haven't shown in almost three years. Somehow we got a better score for impulsion yesterday than for the TL test today (and same judge). Just 6.5 vs. 6, but I really would have given us like a 5.5 yesterday as I was just letting her putz along at whatever energy level was comfortable. So we have some things to work on, and I'm planning to haul over to Pocatello in three weeks to show again as that might be our last chance for the year. I'll definitely give First-3 a try, and might give 2-1 a shot as well just to get over that mental hurdle before next show season.

EDIT 2: Here is our first level test. Thanks Susan! (Kyra's Mom) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw0-oiDDcBk

Edited to add pics:
Last edited by StraightForward on Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:27 am

Straightforward, good job! Those photos are lovely. My favorite is the first photo, although I really like the halt one too.

The first trot photo shows a lovely moment of balance and your position is lovely as well. You should frame it!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:49 am

Lovely, SF!

Exhausting afternoon of ridiculous barn drama. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

Very nice ride on Mr. P however, despite all the nonsense.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:57 pm

Nice pictures and good scores SF. I waited until Junior was late 6/coming 7 before buying his semi-custom saddle. He has changed a wee bit more but that is one reason I bought the saddle that I did. It comes with 2 years of free re-sizing/re-flocking. So far, I don't think what has changed has affected the fit of the saddle at all though, thankfully.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:53 pm

Annabelle looks lovely, SF!

My riding has bit a bit less exciting. I think I may have posted about this — or just thought about sharing — when I figured out the cause of my slight crookedness, it led to the realization that sometime in the past 4 years, I started tipping my pelvis forward. Probably in relation to the formerly painful hip? So, I've been making a concerted effort to sit back on my pockets, and drive up ... at first Maia was like "WTF? Why are you making me work so hard?" Then about 10 minutes later it became a "yee-haw, hang on to your hats" style ride /sigh

Now I've got a *very* happy mare who's moving great :) AND I'm sitting square so every single canter transition is effortlessly correct. If we ever get the tree (and then the weeds that sprouted up over the past week) out of the arena, I'll take some more video ... and set up some jumps.

Right now we're just working on riding with all the distractions — the BO has been out with dogs and chainsaw clearing trees the last 4 times I rode, and the new litter of kittens have been playing around the arena. None of that is a distraction ... but keeping Maia's attention on me, and her nose not in the chainsaw is the real challenge. She has a serious case of FOMO.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:42 am

Great update Heddylamar! I look forward to video, I love seeing everyone and their progress. It sounds like you guys are in a great place right now riding wise. Figuring out our physical part in it is hard but sounds like it's clicking!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:48 pm

heddylamar wrote:
Right now we're just working on riding with all the distractions — the BO has been out with dogs and chainsaw clearing trees the last 4 times I rode, and the new litter of kittens have been playing around the arena. None of that is a distraction ... but keeping Maia's attention on me, and her nose not in the chainsaw is the real challenge. She has a serious case of FOMO.

Oh I know this well. Some of these mares...it is really hard to convince them that you will keep them safe. Yes, FOMO is a good description. Good on you for figuring out your mechanics.
I have a horrible anterior tilt to my pelvis...I will have to try this for canter departs as they can get sticky at times, especially from walk.

I had giggly ride one day when the a pair of robins and a pair of killdeer were at war. Robin fledgeling had fallen from the nest so the robin parents were defending the baby and the killdeer were trying to protect their 3 inch high youngun. OMG, Kyra thought they were all velociraptors and were trying to eat her. The next day the robins were gone but that teeny tiny killdeer chick was cruising around the arena. Just had to laugh at what was causing all the ruckus and on day #2 not step on said teeny tiny bird. I am sure the parents were pooped.

Kyra has had an extra day off as I went out and watched SF ride then Mom had an appt yesterday. Heading out to ride this morning. At least our weather has moderated. Much more likely to actually do some work.

Susan

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:54 pm

Not unexpected fitting experience. Darn these young horses. Kora has fitted up (down?) almost a full size. The black marking is measurements from May and red is from yesterday.

Fitting.jpg
Fitting.jpg (151.98 KiB) Viewed 19942 times

I'm not completely freaking out. Yet... From the topline measurement you can see she's fairly drastically sloping up to that hind end. We discussed and for now we've flocked the saddle best we can without making it rock hard and will wait for her to match the height growth she's sporting behind in front. Fitter thinks once she levels out she might bulk/spring outwards again so was loathe to mess with tree at this point.

Saddle can be adjusted a up/down a width so we have something to work with if needed in the end. Luckily the overall shape is still happy for her and help of a half-pad prior to the flocking was fine for her as well so I'm not too crazed about it. Yet...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:46 pm

Oh jeeze! Yeah, Annabelle outgrew her wide tree last winter, I bought her and XW and now she is more fit and shrank a bit (but also got more symmetrical). Have been using a Thinline pocket pad with shims in front. With any luck Annabelle will stay slim enough for the wide and Tesla will grow into the XW Patrick because it will be a while before I can afford any more saddles!
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:53 am

Yikes aleuronx...she changed a lot. About a month ago, I changed Kyra back to her treeless saddle and she seems to be happy thus far. She was fine with the Prestige but I was having a hell of a time finding a balance spot in it. I am waffling between selling it now or keeping it another 6 months and trying to get the lard off so I fit in the saddle better and give it another try. I think I screwed up by ordering the "forward" flaps. Forward for them is just moving the whole flap forward 2 cm. My idea of forward flaps is angled forward. I don't ride with a very long leg. A shorter stirrup allows my thighs to support a bit more of my weight which relieves the tailbone area a bit. Decisions, decisions.

My two rides this week were just lovely. Cooler weather and a cooperative horse = :mrgreen: . She is giving me a better connection and coming better from behind. Her warm-up trot on Thursday, I kept looking to see that I was on the same horse. It was loose and ground covering. With her, warmup is often a conversation on energy (like surely you have more than this :?: ) and you kind of have to wind her up. So that nice ground cover was so pleasant to have from the get-go. Today, my back was grumbling so I did a kind of physical therapy lunging session. In trot, I asked for lots of stretching. Did some in hand work and some stretching...for her. We just worked in the turnout...I do that maybe 4 times a year. Although it isn't super even there, there is no dust and I love to see a horse springing along on turf. The dust, heat and rocks gets really old in the sand arenas.

I don't have really long sessions(20-30 minutes)...my butt can't take much more so I have been doing tons of transitions and Thursday did transitions within the gaits. The only deficiency that was marked was canter leg yield from left to right (left lead)...that is just to her weaker hind leg and is going to need some time and strengthening.

I think I am going to can barn hunting until Spring and try again. Out of 5 barns, I only got ANY response from one and I am on a wait list for that barn but it is long so not holding my breath. Hopefully, we get good snow over the winter and the hay situation won't be so dire. I don't want to wait until the barn I am at decides to close though so I will keep my eyes and ears open for possibilities.

When you are ready Mountaineer...the rest of the story ;) .

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:42 pm

So we had a bit of a pause in Brandon's training. Two weeks ago he got kicked in turnout. Nothing too serious but enough that he had to be on stall rest so that he didn't make it worse. He instigated it so you know how it goes when you have two very dominant horses out together. That healed well enough that I went on a trail ride last Sunday which allowed me to trial my old passier that I sold to Srhorselday years ago. It seemed to work (so I bought it back :)) and then he came down with a nasty case of equine flu. He's been coughing and spewing snot ever since Monday. I feel really bad for the guy but he's been eating all along through it (Morgans thankfully like welsh cobs have a hell of a constitution). It's so very frustrating because the barn next door was subleased out to three new trainers. The guy who still leases and oversees it (lives down the road with his now smaller establishment - scaled back due to age) was always very careful quarantining new horses and very good at giving me a head up on issues. These people whether due to ignorance or negligence just don't seem to care. I heard two of theirs coughing right after they moved in and braced for it. Junior and Ace have been vaccinated multiple times and being older clearly have a much stronger immune system and seem fine. Brandon coming from a breeder who does not believe in vaccinations had only been vaccinated once by me and was coming due (next week actually). So even though I don't board and have a closed farm on my side of the fence, let me tell you that flu with this fly season knows no boundaries.

I've been able to continue to work Junior and I think, keeping fingers crossed, that we're gliding over the hump regarding maneuverability and acceptance of contact and moving into the right rein at the canter. I have a lesson next Friday to see if I'm correct and to get pointers for the upcoming schooling show mid-September. I've, probably foolishly, entered third 1 and 2. If Brandon is over his ailment I'll be taking him too but just for schooling. I've also found that Junior being a true welsh cob will do just about anything for whole still in the shell peanuts.......I just have to start to take them out of my pocket and he starts to piaffe on the spot when in hand......not sure it's a new 'trick' that will pay off in the end but I'm certainly not going to punish him.

I also applied to participate in an upcoming Lilo Fore clinic being hosted by our GMO. I don't know if we'll get in but if we do I'll be very much looking forward to it. We had to supply video of our work.............hopefully the powers-that-be will allow me to get a new perspective on how to direct the little engine that could (He really is turning out to be very much like Monty who is still going strong at 23, just love that welsh cob).

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:18 pm

SF-- you two looked great!

Aleuronx-- young horses make me despair of ever getting a saddle that fits longer than 3 months. My sister has a 'miracle saddle' with very short points that somehow manages to fit (or fit well enough, which is honestly the same thing for growth-spurty horses) a surprising variety of horse shapes. That saddle is never leaving the barn. Will have to pry it out of her cold dead hands. Anyway, all that to say-- I feel your pain.

Exvet-- sorry to hear about the vet issues (injuries/flu). Demotivating!

Thought I saw a post from someone about dressage malaise/taking a break but either I misread or it's been deleted. Either way, this has been a hard year after an exceptionally tough year and it's ok to take a step back and reassess. Hang in there and I hope things get better soon.

And, on theme, I've had a couple weeks of slogging away and feeling like we're not making any progress aside from sweating. Well, just when I needed it, I had a string of truly great rides after I was reminded of the usefulness of turn-on-the-forehand for fixing bracing. Ipso presto, fabulous rides. One of these years I'm not going to need to relearn things I've learned years ago, but it doesn't look like those days are coming soon.

Anyway, with that breakthrough sorted, I've had a string of really consistent up-in-the-brisket-and-still-soft-in-the-bridle rides. It's got me looking at the closing date of a show (tomorrow) with a bit more interest than I typically have. Hmmmmmm...

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:31 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
Thought I saw a post from someone about dressage malaise/taking a break but either I misread or it's been deleted. Either way, this has been a hard year after an exceptionally tough year and it's ok to take a step back and reassess. Hang in there and I hope things get better soon.

yeah, that was me. I've seen my horse twice in 6 weeks. Its been a lot of things at once, not really reflective of my horse specifically. (Health, job, Covid, dog dying, fibro, low iron, anxiety). I didn't want to be a debbie downer. The sad thing is I didn't miss it at all. I think its starting to come back, but having owned horses since 2005 straight till now that was a bit un-nerving. I was that burn out on my job, health, etc. My horse is going really well and my friend is riding him. In a way it was nice to get a break and mentally hand off care to someone else. I'm at a nice barn now ( for 2 yrs) that I finally trust to take care of him properly. I didn't have COVID, but its been so stressful. Its taking a toll at this point.

I need to hear what I can do well and positive things. I can't do that for myself right now. My boss told me lots of bad things and its really affected me. I am planning to quit but I can't find a new job yet. I might not have a job for awhile.

I also live in minneapolis so there is a lot of problem still with the George Floyd/police/BLM stuff. It was really bad last year but I don't think I got over it yet. Violence is up. All of this adds up.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:03 pm

Well, I'm not going to cheer anyone up, I'm afraid.

I had the vet out to look at Walker yesterday. He's not been doing well over the summer and has taken a major nosedive in condition in the past few weeks, despite eating and drinking well, getting great, if psychotic, care, and appearing pretty bright.

The upshot of the visit was that he recommends that I put him down before the winter sets in. It's not really a huge shock, but on top of all the other barn turmoil, it's all a bit much at the moment.

Walker is very happy where he is, so I will be staying until the deed is done rather than stressing him by a move to a new and different environment. I'll just have to suck up the craziness for a couple more weeks and get my ducks in a row and get it done before we go to England at the end of September.

I have no idea when I will be able to move Potters. Trainer said she could find a place for him and now seems to be backtracking somewhat, but won't give me a definitive answer one way or the other and is being difficult to communicate with. I have an option 2, but its not where I want to be really.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:18 pm

Thank you Ponichiwa! Looking forward to photos as well if you decide to show.

Exvet, Will Piaffe for Peanuts - I like it! Hope you are able to get into Lilo's clinic!

Rye, I hope you get your desire to ride back soon, but just being around horses can be really healing. Maybe you are doing that already with your massage work though.

Susan, I wonder if Adrienne could hook you up with something customized? Last time I was there she said she was working on a saddle for a para rider. Maybe she could build a different seat onto the L&R endurance saddle? That would give you the more forward flap. Just an idea.

Moutaineer, sorry to hear that Walker is going downhill. It sounds like he's been going strong into his old age though, and won't have to suffer through a long decline.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:52 pm

Thank you Ponichiwa and StraightForward, Brandon is doing better today and we're keeping fingers and toes crossed for the clinic.

So sorry to hear about Walker, Moutaineer that's always so tough. I sincerely hope your barn situation straightens out for Potter's and your sake as well.

Ryeissa I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through and I understand about the issues in Minneapolis. We have two very good friends who live close to where the incident occurred. They are in different neighborhoods but what they share isn't very good news. When I went to Minnesota this summer, we steered clear of downtown Minneapolis which is sad because it was always a really fun place to visit. My family/friends who have horses close to there are in Stillwater and Hugo, a bit further away from things but nothing has returned to normal if it ever will. Hang in there.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:28 am

I think I'm ready to call it and start thinking about fall. :)

Tesla:
Stop babying her so much. Yeah, umm, mostly. We have unlocked a Big Girl trot that is pretty great.
Haul out to ride at least 2x Yes.
Start jumpingLOL, nope!
Solidify right bend and forward response every ride.Getting there. It is much better and we can usually access a LY feeling going right. When she is in front of the leg the trot is pretty adjustable.
Canter!See #1. We have cantered, but it's certainly not confirmed. One step forward, two steps back...

Annabelle:
Jump once a week.Sorta. We took a break due to smoke and not risking an injury leading up to our show. I am getting less spastic about cantering to jumps. :lol:
Keep developing the HP.Mostly just the past couple weeks, but yes, it is developing. Not an easy movement for her.
More adjustability in the trot and canter.Yep, work in progress, but better than two months ago I'm pretty sure.
Haul out to ride at least 2x.Yep. And bonus, we went to a show, didn't cause a scene and earned some pretty decent scores!

Self:
Some type of workout 3x a week. Eh. I probably averaged more like 2x per week. Air quality and heat didn't help.
Feldenkrais sessions at least 5x a week.Started well, have slacked off.
Keep working on my vertical balance, timing of aids, use of my pelvis.Yes. I've made some improvements. Aid timing getting better.
Eat healthy 90% of the time.Probably hit 80%. Not bad, but could be a little better with the veggies.
Last edited by StraightForward on Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:38 am

blob wrote:MM
Also jump once a week
continue working on fitness building things--walking poles, hillwork, trot poles, etc
work on getting a more from behind, fluid, controllable collected canter (work towards cantering that box)
Forward and back in trot and canter
continue trailer work
Go to a show?

RP
continue trot lengthening work
get more suppleness in left lead canter
lunge 1x a week
work on trot shoulder in

Me
also try to work out 3x a week
find time to ride even though we're going back into the office
try not to go insane now that work is going back to the office

Gosh, looking back at this it feels like a million years ago I made these goals :lol:

MM: trailer work and show were a success! fitness building, collected canter, and jumping all need to roll over...

RP: spent nearly all of August out of work because of lameness...so this bimester was mostly a wash

Me: definitely didn't work out 3x a week. We went back to the office in July and then the office closed again in August, which is better for me.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:15 pm

Im sorry about walker. Its a tough deal. I hate when they get old.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:17 pm

Thanks everyone. I think its getting better. I rode yesterday and it was good. I think my riding is just being affected by general stress. A lot of us are really feeling the effects of two years of crisis, aren't we? The natural disasters are also really scary/stressful.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:36 pm

SO sorry about Walker, Moutaineer. DHs horse lost condition over one winter, and when he didn't bounce back on lush pasture and Senior feed over the summer, I had to make the call for dh and euthanize him before winter set in. It was so very hard on DH to say good-bye to his friend of 34 years, but it was easier than watching him slowly waste away. The day I put him down he was just as cheeky and lively as he'd always been, so I'm sure he galloped over that Rainbow Bridge! Hugs

Jingles for Brandon, exvet

Glad you managed to get out and ride, Rye. My horses are at home and yet, sometimes weeks slip by without me riding. Somehow, though, I always feel better (at least mentally) when I do. Like this weekend. Tio lost another shoe and Rudy was off in the trot, but I took each of them out for a lovely stroll in the country side anyways and worked Tio in the ring. Sunday, Tio was still missing a shoe (lol) but Rudy was all better and did a little work. I definitely feel better, more "up." Hang in there...this too shall pass. ;)

To all of you who board your horses...you remind me how happy I am to have my ponies at home. I'll have to remember that when winter comes and I'm wishing for an indoor. :lol:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:58 pm

I'm so sorry, Moutaineer. It's so hard saying goodbye.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:01 pm

Section Goals:
Continue to build fitness under saddle and the positive reaction to the half halt fitness for sure check, we're on full training rides with no issues. Reaction to the half half I'd also say was successful prior to growth spurt (again, ugh)
Work on straightness of left shoulder Yep, and many good exercises to help this. We moved onto the right hind management.
Sitting trot fitness for me All we did was sitting trot!! This actually improved the trot and the connection
At least 4 lessons w/trainer Yep, 5 lessons I think. With even a set of back to back lessons which was great.
At least 3 field trips (new places or repeats) Yes on this. Slowed down a bit but we did hit up another Obstacle clinic and arena hires as well as the less than great group trail ride (lol, never again)

I'll have to ponder next sections goals. Kora will likely come out of the growth spurt just fine but I don't want to over face ourselves either. Interested how she feels this week, if things start to improve.

Jingles to you Mountaineer, the hard choice is still always hard. Jingles to Ryeissa, stress can take such a toll on your life in general it can be hard to move forward.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:39 pm

exvet Oooh. Lilo. I have known her for a long time, but when I did that clinic with her a few years ago she almost broke Quinn. She has changed. It was all hold the reins as hard as you can and go forward as much as you can. Yes, that gets horses active and forward, but it doesn't address the main issue as to how to get them strong and supple enough to do it without pushing and pulling. If you do get it, just say yes and agree to what she says.

So sorry Mountaineer. But, I am glad you can do it in a way that is the best for both of you.

On the front here, I don't see how they can have the CDS/region 7 championships at Murietta. The fire near Tahoe was so bad over the weekend the RAAC had most people scratch the air quality being so bad. It is about 40 miles from Murietta. Now the fire is getting much worse and closing in on south Lake Tahoe. I can't see how any of that will be safe in three weeks. I emailed the president and asked if they were planning on moving it like they had to do last year. Woodside doesn't have any events that week, and though some people don't like it, it has the room, and is the only place in N. CA that is most likely to have cooler weather and the best air quality that can do it. Right now the air quality south of Tahoe is the worst in the world. I look at Purple Air a lot.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:46 pm

Well looking back yes the canter on Joplin has definitely improved. What has also improved is her lateral work. Her HI and HP are quite good. Very very happy with her! Gaila has not had quite as much work as Joplin but what we’ve done has been good.

I’ve been able to host another WE clinic and have both a WE and Cedar clinic coming up next month.

Still having mega heat and humidity. Was just doing some de spidering of the barn and almost got too hot. Sitting here contemplating heading to the house to cool off. Still very wet. Have lost one hay cut to rain. Rounded it and will sell for cow hay. Can’t get the other field cut because it’s too wet and have battled army worms this last month and a half. Hay is going to be hard to find this year here in middle Georgia. At least good hay.

Mountaineer so sorry to hear about Walker. I hope his last days are good and his passing peaceful.

Exvet jingles for Brandon! Glad your other two were ok.

Rye hugs. 2020 and 2021 have definitely been challenging for us all. I struggle to not go around mad as hell at our situation now. I am thankful that I live on a farm and can do my farm stuff even if I don’t ride every day.

Let’s hope September brings cooler drier weather!! Happy riding all!

Return to “Dressage Training”