September - October goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: September - October goals and progress

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:24 pm

Thank you for the update Tanga! I have been anxiously awaiting to hear from you on how it is going!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:08 pm

Ugh, Tanga, so sorry you're having technical difficulties on top of disgusting weather. It sounds like you and your mares are real troopers and making the most out of the situation. Good luck for the rest of your show!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:05 am

So, third clinic with Andrea Velas under the belt. She stopped on her way to a marathon in New Hampshire. She taught ten lessons. I admire her energy. Here is a snippet of Saiph trotting. My son stopped to film a little after his job and got in just in time to video a bit toward the end.

https://youtube.com/shorts/46ckFZ2t79Y?feature=share

it's really inspiring to have a clinic go well and I feel refueled.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:25 am

NICE cadence to Saiph's trot chisamba!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:11 am

Another quick update. I forgot to say Sabine Schutt-Kerry has been at the show coaching her clients. Cool. Nice to have someone who just got 5th in the Olympics here. Tonight she was did sort of a talk, answered questions, which was really nice. She got two standing ovations from us. Couple of cool points. She said the weather here has been worse than Tokyo because they could at least ride at night. She was also talking about how Sanceo is breeding right now and she was worried about him mounting the dummy and hurting himself, so a local breeder (Edward Schutte, Rainbow Equus Meadows) helped her and taught him ho to do it just standing in the stall. Pretty funny.

Here is that GP ride I got a 3rd (almost 2nd on.) It needs work, of course, but getting there.
https://youtu.be/Ybv6VELwshU

Today has been rough with four rides and one judge all day that thinks I am a horrible rider and gives me 4's and 5's for a slight change in tempo. Seriously. Whatever. Scary bad scores you'd think I'd have had disasterous rides, but they were pretty quiet and mistake free. In looking back, she was the one that dropped Quinn's first PSG score on Thursday, and the one ride I have with Quinn tomorrow is under her and a judge that likes Quinn. Sigh, I guess I need a kick in the butt. My one ride tomorrow with Quilla is with Osinski and Wadeborn, so thanks be for that.

Proud of Quinn for coming back and putting in nice rides today after yesterday in that same arena, and a nice relaxed freestyle (maybe too much) and Quilla is happy as a clam and working hard and putting on weight eating nonstop.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 am

Tanga what a busy week . I am sorry about the tough judge. congratulations on your 60. how fun to be rubbing shoulders with Sabine.

I hope tomorrow's ride is your best

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:30 pm

You're doing great under tough circumstances, Tanga! Good luck with your rides today, and don't let the critical judge get under your skin. And go eat a salty breakfast, with a side of electrolytes ;)

I've not seen my girls in over two weeks now. We went on a week+ road trip vacation, ending on the KY bourbon trail. After we got home Monday night, I had two days of insane work, then I got hit by DH's upper respiratory gunk (not COVID per both the rapid and PCR). When I finally went to the doc on Friday after spending a day+ puking, I had a trifecta of sinus, ear, and kidney infections. I came home loaded with antibiotics, ear drops, and zofran ... and a negative rapid test. Waiting on the PCR results (ETA: negative).

This is the first time I've been upright and not dizzy and/or puking since Wednesday morning. And there's no way I can make the 30 minute drive to the barn. Nope. Most awesome barn owner says the mares are fat and sassy, and Maia has the hot pants for our short term boarder (to be fair, BO says he's a gorgeous TB) :lol:
Last edited by heddylamar on Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:21 pm

Loved watching the videos Tanga. Quinn's left piro in the PSG was really lovely. Overall you sit better on Quinn than Quilla, different saddle maybe? Hope you last rides go well today!!

Mountaineer good for you. You got the horse so no better time then now to make a go of it.

Chisamba, wow that trot!! Looking so good.

Straightforward, sorry to hear about Annabelle. Tesla better watch out as I'm sure your focus fire is ready to get her going well.

Rye, the job market is quite hot and certainly lots of remote opportunities as well. That's a lot of upheaval so just be gentle with yourself with pressures as ponies will be there when you are ready.

Our Regionals are going on this weekend and all the posts and pictures are giving me serious regret at not being there. Next year for sure! I channeled the blues into taking Kora on a field trip to a farm with a beautiful indoor with lovely mirrors so I could work on my position and bomb around. The arena makes me feel like I can actually ride.

Starting touching on some more lateral work. Teaching haunches-in using the walk and a bit of reinback steps. The balance in the canter is improving now that I've figured out the weird thing I'm doing with my left seatbone and correcting it. The trot can be quite nice if I can keep the shoulders up and that's a strength building thing for Kora so no worries when it falls flat. Little bits at a time.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:07 pm

Aleuronx wrote:Loved watching the videos Tanga. Quinn's left piro in the PSG was really lovely. Overall you sit better on Quinn than Quilla, different saddle maybe? Hope you last rides go well today!!

Thank you for this. Good information. Same saddle. Quinn is like riding a tight spring that wants to bolt forward and Quilla is very relaxed, so I lean forward to get more forward too much--the difference between having to correct yourself and having someone help you all of the time. I will try to do better for today!! The low judge (not the one that hates me) that has been scoring me higher and higher made a comment that my left leg is not on, which is very useful. I will try to correct my body postion today--if I can stay awake!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:56 pm

Tanga, nice GP test! Congratulations on the score and placing especially give the circumstances.

We're actually getting rain here and it looks to be finally and permanently cooling down, at least until spring. Trying to get prepared for the Lilo Fore clinic.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:28 pm

we did a hunter pace today, 8 miles or so of lovely bridle paths through a somewhat fancy suburbia. I mean gorgeous mansions, lovely gardens and fields. when we had to cross roads the drivers were so respectful. the weather was perfect. we had a birthday breakfast for one.of our crew. I made vegan cupcakes that actually tasted ok. I did chocolate and orange . we finished with a friendly picnic surrounded by out horses munching hay with contentment. Our horses were all super, my team got reserve Champs being only 2.minutes out of ideal time. the.kids were 19 minutes too fast lol. Kimba was a star. Dressage clinic yesterday, hunter pace today. its great having a horse that will do it all.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:06 pm

Sounds divine Chisamba. Hope to get back to those times again with mine, feeling real close to it. Glad you had such a good go. You deserve it.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:13 pm

Congrats, Tanga! I know there were some things you didn't love about your outing and definitely some challenges that made it harder. But I really think you have so much to be proud of with your girls and thanks for showing your tests--there is a LOT to like.

Clinic and hunter pace sound really fun, Chisamba!

SF, so sorry to hear about Annabelle. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Excited to hear about the clinic, Exvet.

Great to hear everyone else's updates too.

I was out of town this weekend, but now ramping into the countdown for regionals which is in two weeks. We had over 370 entries this year, so still waiting to get ride times and details. I must admit i am feeling a bit restless/eager for all of that. But in hte mean time ther eis a lot of work to do with RP to get him ready.

MM and I have been struggling with the left lead canter, meanwhile trot work and right lead canter feel great. I need to some lunge work with her next time I'm out to see if I can better identify the issue and remove myself from the equation.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:55 am

Awesome report Tanga!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:12 pm

Tanga, you look awesome!! I'm sorry everything didn't go exactly as planned with technical difficulties but you certainly made the best of it.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:18 pm

Congrats Tanga! I always appreciate hearing how people overcome show issues/environment and weather challenges- sometimes it's easy to feel we are alone in a struggle with all the rosy ribbon photos on facebook.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:27 am

Wow Tanga, way to hang in there. I have become so heat intolerant...especially mentally, I just feel like I am frying and I no longer want to feel that way :P .

I have had trouble overcoming inertia too. My back/SI issue is traveling into my left hip and so some days, I just haven't felt like booting her up (lots of bending over) then riding. Canter is aggravating to whatever the problem is so what riding I have been doing is mostly walk. Then the weather got hot again (see above) so I haven't ridden much but every day I have gone out, I have at least done something with her on the ground. Some days, lunging, one day just a walk around the farm with exercises incorporated in our walk, a couple days putting her on her SureFoot pads...something. I will say, she has been giving me some great SW work. She is getting the idea of the Spanish walk AND walking forward. Not nearly as much pawing or stomping and last time, she did 3 sets of 5-6 alternating steps without my talking her through it or touching her. Simply lifting the whip by her shoulder :mrgreen: .

I also have been working on her naughty turn-out behavior of taking off before she is fully un-haltered. She doesn't do it all the time but is much worse in the spring and fall when the seasons are changing. I will admit, that I have let her get into the nasty habit but with my various infirmities, I just can't hang on. So if she takes off, I have let her go. Not good. One day I even put 2 halters on her and she still took off on me. So...being I have used treats for her other training, I said screw it and now I treat her when I turn her out. I used treats to teach her to come up (be caught) years ago and now don't use treats at all and she still comes to me. I hope I can get a new habit installed then will back off on the goodies. It is working a treat :lol: so far.

I haven't accomplished much this week and am leaving on vacation next week. I will make it out to the barn another 3 times or so then she has a week off. I am visiting a chiropractor on Friday to see if she can help the SI/hip issue. The hospitals and doctors are way overwhelmed with COVID and on crisis standards of care so I will start with some chiro. I am generally not a fan of that but I like this one. She quit practicing for awhile and now is back at it so we will see.

It seems like my barn time is constantly shrinking...oh well, I do what I can. The horse doesn't seem to mind she isn't showing 3rd or 4th level. We will go with that :D .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:52 am

Kyra's mom, I hope you get some relief when you see the chiropractor. I feel like I have some instability issues in my SI as it pops and cracks way more than I think it should... So far it does not bother me but my lower back sometimes can get fatigued and ache a bit.
I know yours has been bothering for awhile, best wishes!! And enjoy vacation!!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:51 am

Off to England for a couple of weeks tomorrow. Potters will have a lovely time with my trainer--I watched them this morning and it was just lovely, so I'm happy to leave them to play and have fun while we go see our family for the first time in two years, including meeting the two latest grandchildren born during the height of the pandemic...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:14 am

Enjoy your vacations, Susan and Moutaineer!

Hauled Tesla out today and for the first time was able to actually "ride" her in the indoor, rather than just get on and putz around after an hour of histrionics. She even cantered just a little. Yesterday she cantered quite nicely to the left, and even gave two tries to the right (her tough side). Yes, there is stopping and balking still, especially at the beginning of the ride, but it seems like we're going in the right direction. I'm going to keep hauling her out as much as I can for the next month and work towards schooling in both the indoor and outdoor arenas. After October the arena schedule gets pretty tight, so there are fewer chances for open riding. She continues to change and is turning into quite a chunk. Her brand used to be almost invisible, but now it is popping out a little due to the muscle underneath.
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:19 am

Enjoy your holidays Susan & Mountaineer!! How exciting.

We had a lovely ride 'out' the other day, down our long driveway and back, including crossing the big stream at the base of the hill (Connor was a bit spooked about it), and a 'strong' canter back up the hill. Our riding buddies (my partner and his big irish draught) set off first, and Connor cruised alongside, good fun! The big irish git tried to out-pace Connor, but I think we had a few more gears lurking, and we just cruised beside him until he ran out of steam.

Today we played with SI / CSI in trot on a 20m circle, just trying to smoothly change between each, and keep the rhythm. It went pretty well, easier on the right rein circle.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:40 pm

I’m still reading everyone’s reports and am feeling good about your progress, right along with you!

Susan, I so relate to your heat intolerance. I think it must be age related because it’s only bothered me to this degree in the last few years.

Anyway, I made it through the summer and the weather is lovely now. The slow work we did all summer seems to have kept us both in good enough condition that we are able to get right at it now that it’s cooler.

All summer I worked on Rocky’s self carriage which is always a WIP with her downhill conformation. Mostly at walk, but with a little trot and canter carefully added in. It seems to be paying off. Yesterday the carriage felt so good as we were cantering right on a 20m circle, that when we crossed X, I changed direction and continued in CC. I kept it along the wall and didnt ask for trot till right before the corner. I was pretty amazed. Her right lead canter had been so difficult I had just stayed away from even doing it for ages.

The work over the summer consisted of convincing her that she had to keep her hind quarters under me all the time, while at the same time, not leaning on the reins at all. Her rest breaks were done at a standstill instead of letting her walk on a long rein. Also, over summer I worked on canter trot transitions using mostly my seat, and very little rein. Because of the hot weather, we only got a few in for each ride, but it was enough for her to get figure out what I was asking for. Now that it’s cooled down and we’re able to canter more, I’ve been able to ask for transitions on the circle, counting the strides, 8 each. She gets it! I’m happy!

Another unexpected result of the summer’s self-carriage work is that she has stopped diving into the rein contact when I ask for lengthenings. I am not pushing it, especially at canter, but am just asking for two or three strides, counting them for accuracy. I have a feeling it wont be long before she’ll have lengthenings that I love!

One other thought about the slow summer work. I did a lot of squares with TOF in the corners, counting outloud so I could time my aid asking for exactly when the turn would start and finish. Also, we did SI, HI, renvers, LY and a little HP, all on the long sides at walk. Given her downhill conformation, I find it much easier to do all the lateral work on straight lines instead of a circle. It’s easy for me to do a sloppy SI on a circle, for example, but by doing it on a straight line I kept the quality and minimized the sloppiness.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:34 pm

I think the slow work you did is very useful, Demi. I often remember the story of l'Hotte ( I think) who at 80 rode only the green horses and only at the walk for 2 years. Then he would pass them on to his students who were amazed to find them " finished" in all gaits. ( I am going to take a wild guess that didn't include tempi . lol)

I could be wrong I don't read French so I didn't read the original.

today a large wind and storm were expected, so I brought in the picnic furniture. on a whim I erected the picnic umbrella in the corner of the indoor. some horses were more offended than others but we are all still alive.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:56 am

Ha ha Chisamba, the umbrella sounds like a good added challenge, I think it is good for horses and humans to deal with some changes in their regular surroundings, and can (ultimately) help to build the partnership & trust.

Demi, that is a super update! Go You!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:26 am

Congrats Tanga, thanks for sharing the vids and report. It sounded very challenging and you did well to get through all those tests with good scores :) You should definitely be proud of what you do.

Super trot there Chisamba!

Kyra's Mum, hope your back is ok. Nice with the SW though :)

I am reading everyone's updates but I"m not up to much, so haven't got much to contribute. We are still in covid lockdown, no comps on, clinics cancelled etc. It's funny reading Tanga, you had a friend come out from Germany and Mountaineer, you are going to England!
Im still doing an online clinic with my instructor, we do 3 lessons 2 weeks apart and it's pretty good. There's a lot of detail that can be shown with a video (screenshots etc) of how you are sitting, what the horse is doing etc.
We are having a nice coolish Spring this year, I do love this time of year provided it doesn't heat up too fast. Nice still being out of a drought too, the paddocks are very green. I've kept the horses trimmed down over winter and I'll have to be more careful this year to not let Ding get too fat or laminitic.

With no comps on, I've just been pottering around. Thought I'd start Norsey on 1x changes, not much else going on :lol: . I'll share some vid of us working it out. I've been doing them with Ding for a while now, but the timing is sooo quick, I'm often still too slow.
And Norsey's piaffe is sloooowly coming along. I just have to do it at his pace, if I ask too much he cracks it.

https://youtu.be/hC4DcExzSsI

https://youtu.be/s1_5Kk9xAsM

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:15 am

Love your videos Flight! Norsey is so elastically slow-moving it is very deceptive, my first thought was "get more energy" but he's actually got springs :lol:
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:15 pm

Flight, those videos are great! I love the attitude in the ones. I think you have everything there.

I am still exhausted as I'm playing tour guide through Saturday, so just keeping my feet moving and then going to sleep for two days straight. I did finally get a minute to download the last day and look at two videos to try to figure things out, and I'm confused.

Last day Sunday I did a GP on Quilla and had a lot of support and people all over me about my position and literally reminding me to sit still and sit up. I was really tired and messed up the canter half passes because I was losing focus. The other stuff I'm confused on. One of the judges was the same as the Friday ride where we got a 61% and 3rd. I think the pirouettes were about the same here (not nearly as good as i can do them) and they were scored way lower. And the piaffe/passage seemed about the same (not nearly as good as we can do them.) The ones were not there in both. 56%, second to last. https://youtu.be/qPCJGgo5Nzs I need to figure out that right hind and how to feel it.

Last test on Sunday with Quinn was I-1 and she was better and pretty quiet. It didn't he the scribe at A flipped a paper up just as we went by and she changed at the beginning of the ext. canter. But, one of the judges is the one that hates me so I thought it was going to be bottom of the class. Ended up 4th with 62% and an 8% score difference between judges. (Same group of riders and same judge and the other low judge I felt was fair was bottom of the class Saturday.)
https://youtu.be/LzFCU-OfM_4

I'm just confused. I know what I need to work on and get that, but talking to my friend who scribed and helped at the show the whole time and watched classes, it is really confusing what they were looking for. Low scores overall is fine as long as it is consistent. What I saw that confused me was some really incorrect things (GP horse BTV every single test getting top scores, names making major mistakes and missing one's, pirouettes and half passes winning, etc.) The only thing I can sort of suss out is they really like riders who a very still and pretty, except some big name who were ineffective and made me look amazing.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:27 pm

Tanga, It does sound like things were kind of all over the place as far as scores for you. Definitely is a bit perplexing! I can't say that I know enough to comment but I hope others will chime in to see what they think as it is very interesting.

Even with how exhausting as this whole experience was I hope you're proud of yourself and I hope you had fun!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:13 am

Really nice, Flight. Thanks for sharing your videos!
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:24 am

Flight Norsey is looking good! Piaffe is really getting there!

Tanga so sorry it was a difficult show to get through. I know how expensive it is and to not get the results you were hoping for and not understanding the judging. Just ugh. Both of your girls try so hard for you. You should be proud of you and them.

Not too much going on here. It decided to get hot again and I’m not dealing too well with it. Got too hot riding Gaila today. Not fun. While both were so good for the clinic I’m riding a bit of ugly with them both asking for a bit more. Especially canter wise. Good thing is I feel comfortable pushing them both harder rather than tiptoeing around like I did with Rip. I’m confident that they both will handle the pressure ok.

Happy travels to Susan and mountaineer. Good riding for the rest of us:)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:46 am

Tanga congratulations on your fourth place and 62% . "they" say if there is a huge difference in judges scores, look at the quality of the moves that look different front front and side. of course judges have opinions too.

I try not to fall in the " thus judge likes me/ this judge hates me trap. I challenge myself to be so good that every judge us impressed. ( itbdiest work but it gives me a good mindset because without a positive mindset I ride like shit at shows, the higher the level the more challenging.

Flight, I love how collected Norsey is becoming, imho, he sits better in his piaffe than in his canter. In my last clinic, the clinician had me working on canter sit prep for tempi. I only have threes ( fours) not at ones yet, I am not showing Kimba, so she is my " thesis". So I just enjoy puttering along on her.

it ( for me ) fooking cold here. I hadbto pull out sheets overnight and horses are hairing dramatically.

M and S enjoy your vacations.

LS, my friend bought a baby, so I'm also playing around with baby brain, balance, tempo, and lateral suppleness via circles and serpentine. I work on lateral supple before longitudinal supple so I'm trying to teach bending turns.

Khall glad you are enjoying Cedat.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:45 pm

It's lovely weather here, not cold yet but humidity has dropped, perfect for riding. But like Chisamba's horses, mine are also hairing dramatically over the past weekend, so it's getting a bit sweaty for them during the day.

Flight, I love watching the progress with Norsey and to think not too long ago you were trying to nail down that single change. I'm always so impressed with what you're able to do with your boys. I agree with other's that Norsey's piaffe is really coming along very well.

Tanga, trying to understand judging can be a frustrating exercise. I agree with Chisamba about looking at movements that might look better/different from side vs. front. The judge's location can play a big role. As for the same judge scoring lower one day than another that also happens for all kinds of human reasons. But I also have found that judges tend to judge more conservatively in championship classes than they would in others. So perhaps that also played a part?

i also know it can be frustrating to watch horses that are BTV or not really through behind score very highly. But until the judging directives change so that movement scores are not derived from the gait scores, there are always going to be horses that are just going to get high scores more easily. I do strongly believe that those same horses would score EVEN higher if they were not BTV, but if the judge thinks the horse is a 9 mover and go to deduct some points for the horse being BTV or tight in the back, etc it's still only going to knock it to a 7.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:18 pm

Tanga I too will join in on the congratulations because I think you accomplished a lot and you and your horses handled a lot of the kerfuffle well. As for the judging I think Chisamba likely has the key to unlocking the mystery; but, even so, I have been in the same position (lower levels of course). It unfortunately happens more often than we'd like it to.

Flight, thank you for posting your videos. Norsey is looking pretty impressive and you both make it loos so effortless. Nice!

Our weather is also starting to become far more enjoyable. I body clipped Junior last weekend in preparation for the clinic this weekend. My daughter has volunteered to braid for me since my arthritis is really acting up after a killer week in surgery. So for now Junior gets to keep his wild, thick pony mane. I love his hogged/roached look but we still have so many flies that I hate to strip him of his defenses. I will probably roach it for the upcoming November shows once the flies are gone.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks everyone, Norsey does try hard and really lets me know if I'm doing it wrong. Chisamba - yes, he hasn't got the hang of sitting in his canter yet! Especially apparent in his piri work.
Mari - yes I dont think he can make his big body move any faster :D He also can get really discombobulated between his front legs and back legs. It's quite strange.

I'm out of the competition loop and I didn't do particularly well, the horses with better/bigger movement always did better even if they looked stressed and tight. I prefer my horses to look happier and less stressed. Competing is hard! So Tanga, you are doing really well.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:21 am

Well the clinic today with Jessica Wisdom was a success! As you know I took a different horse and ended up riding in a western saddle but I'm so glad I did it. She honed in very quickly about what this horse needed help with and what I needed a little help with to help the horse too. We started off with focusing on some shoulder fore, then serpentines and then she wanted to see the canter, although I did warn her beforehand about that. And then finished up working on some leg yields.

The other day I had had a light bulb moment, that I was trying to sit something that could not yet be sat. Jessica agreed completely although with all the work we did, She said there is just a few strides that I was getting close to being able to sit. I didn't try to sit I'm just saying that she pointed out there was moments of improvement.

She also gave me some other tips that I really think I'll be able to use with Lynx. It was a fast-paced lesson only about 40 to 45 minutes long. But I feel like I actually walked away with a lot. And I almost feel like it was beneficial for me to take this horse because of this specific thing that we were able to work on with him. One thing was to hold him more accountable and also hold myself more accountable not let things slide so much.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:32 pm

Glad your clinic went well, LSP. I definitely got my ass handed to me on a platter yesterday with Lilo; but, not really in a bad way. She like many of her genre was very exacting which is what I need. The depressing thing is after reviewing my tapes I'm afraid my 'puppy paw hand' tendency continues to get worse. So frustrating when your muscle/neurological control is declining due to age and injuries.....you know what is needed but the brain just can't seem to override the physical limitations. Watching the videos do not inspire. I don't have time to post them today but perhaps later in the week. I have another ride today and no one to video for me. I really, really would like to 'SEE' if I make improvement but for much of my riding career, I'm just going to have to feel if we're accomplishing something positive.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Exvet, I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties with the one hand. But truly from everything I've seen you are still a very amazing rider, despite any difficulties. I know how frustrating it can be to not have your body cooperate though.

I look forward to hearing and hopefully seeing more about the clinic. Is there any auditors that you can kindly ask if they could just take some video clips with their phone? I've offered that for people at clinics before.

Enjoy!!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:03 pm

exvet Don't take it personally. Lilo does that to everyone. Just smile and agree and ask clarifying questions. I totally get what you are saying. She is demanding you be where you should after maybe a year of correct work with someone helping you. I try to keep that in mind. She's not going to see you again, so at least wants you to experience where you could get with a lot of time.

Like I said before, my takeaway was not to ride like that, but I got the concept, which is of course nothing new--more engagement and more carriage. But she wanted me to push and pull the horse into it, which literally caused a shut down. Other people in my clinic had a takeaway that they can't ride that way. They (me, too) were not strong enough to hold on to the reins that tight. I hope you can find a way to get something from it.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:39 pm

Tanga wrote:exvet Don't take it personally. Lilo does that to everyone. Just smile and agree and ask clarifying questions. I totally get what you are saying. She is demanding you be where you should after maybe a year of correct work with someone helping you. I try to keep that in mind. She's not going to see you again, so at least wants you to experience where you could get with a lot of time.

Like I said before, my takeaway was not to ride like that, but I got the concept, which is of course nothing new--more engagement and more carriage. But she wanted me to push and pull the horse into it, which literally caused a shut down. Other people in my clinic had a takeaway that they can't ride that way. They (me, too) were not strong enough to hold on to the reins that tight. I hope you can find a way to get something from it.

I'm not discouraged in regards to getting something out of the clinic. Actually, I already have benefitted. I need to be hammered on these flaws or I'll never figure out a way to correct them. I seem to do better with clinicians who are exacting and the German approach seems to be one of the few that get me 'shocked' into not just stepping up to the plate but owning it. I rode Brandon this morning and worked on some of what I was getting from Lilo (within reason for his level of training of course). I need to learn to ride only from my elbows yet make sure I keep checking in on my hand position. My wrists are now at a point that I have one of two feelings - either constant tingling/numbness or severe pain. As a result I've learned, mostly due to my job, to mentally block out any and all feeling of what I can in that area of my body. I need to figure out how to 'check out on the tingling/pain' yet be able to ride in correct position. I realize more than anyone that I must be able to ride the forward into even and correct contact if I'm ever going to be able to succeed training Junior up the levels. This issue feeds right into keeping my horse straight which I also struggle with but Lilo gave me some new ideas that might work in time. I'm determined to figure out how/what I can do in order to accomplish that. Public humiliation isn't anything new or anything I shy away from...........heck, I have always put myself out there as a direct result of the breeds I choose to ride; so, I do have rather thick skin. Even so, what stings most, is nothing in regards to what people say but what I see and knowing that my body despite how fit I've always been is failing me in one sense or another and in that regard I know the clock is ticking. Junior certainly got a lot of 'adorable' comments so for that I'm good :D

blob

Postby blob » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:12 pm

sounds like a useful clinic, Exvet! I too benefit from trainers who make me step up and own it and have a higher bar for myself and my horses. Sorry that the wrist has been a struggle--nerve pain is very difficult to manage. Do you think riding with a wrist brace might help keep the right position? I often sleep in one of those harder plastic braces. I keep it lose so it doesn't cut anything off or irritate me, but it does make it impossible for me to fold at my wrist.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:15 pm

exvet--Good. I'm with you. I can do OK with the exacting German approach because it shocks me into really doing something different.

In regards to your hands/wrists, have you ever thought of carpel tunnel syndrome? Mine wasn't bad and tested as minor, but I had a little numbness and some really weird random bad pain going up my arm. The surgeon said they go less by the testing and more by how you feel and it's usually a very good result, the earlier done the better. I did one hand and loved it so much I did the other right away. I'm so glad I did it. Super easy surgery and recovery. Your pain sounds familiar.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:13 pm

I have been diagnosed with both carpal tunnel syndrome and osteoarthritis in my wrists. I cannot afford the surgery on one or both. When I worked for Arizona Animal Welfare League & SPCA, I had one of our board members, a sports surgeon with the Cardinals. offer to perform the surgery for me for free (in terms of his professional fee) when I tendered my resignation because I could no longer perform 30+ surgeries a day. It was extremely generous of him but the costs for the rest of it (OR room, supplies, anesthesia, etc) and the down time from work simply couldn't be covered. I do not have disability insurance and while many people who have surgery for carpal tunnel are out for just a short time, my arthritis makes it a bit more problematic. I'm financially responsible for my mother so not working or taking any more of a step down (in pay) than I already have is NOT an option.

The clinic was good and helpful. Unfortunately other than my issues with my wrists (which were known just didn't realize how bad it's become) the problems identified are ones I already know and have been working on up until now. What was good is that Lilo helped me realize that while there are a couple of exercises that can help with the issue I have in the right rein, it is also okay to just continue with walk, canter (left lead) and continue to demand with my inside leg that he go into and accept the contact on the right rein. When I demand he still wants to pop the lead. We must of repeated this 10-15 time until he finally gave in a little and held the lead all the way around the arena and maintained an appropriate tempo in the collected canter. I'm going to enter second 3 for the upcoming two shows in November and see if I can raise my scores. Hopefully my plan will pay off in working through these problems because if it does then adding movements and strength to Junior's repertoire will be much easier.

Thank you for the idea of wrist braces. I do have some from when I had a bout of palsy. I'm going to give it a try and I already have the wrist bands (resistance bands) which hurt but I need something to keep my hands level too.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:28 pm

exvet I ride in carpal tunnel wrist guards. it helps. I also have arthritis gloves. they are compression gloves without fingertips . they fit under my riding gloves. to be really really helpful I have to sleep in them too. so I have a clean pair and a barn pair.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:25 am

exvet wrote:Thank you for the idea of wrist braces. I do have some from when I had a bout of palsy. I'm going to give it a try and I already have the wrist bands (resistance bands) which hurt but I need something to keep my hands level too.

My ortho advised wearing the wrist braces overnight v. during the day since I'd get more continuous relief. It's a bit annoying at first, but it really has helped.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:37 am

I do have the compression gloves. I was using them pretty regularly but I wasn't sure that they were really helping. Since my surgery game has been increased again I think it's adding to my slide back; so, I'll dig them out. Thanks for the suggestions y'all.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:56 am

Glad you had a good clinic Exvet, but the hand thing sounds frustrating!

Tesla was quite a turd this week, culminating on Wednesday with her just refusing to go forward, and then when she finally did, going from a trot to planting her feet into the ground and trying to rear (luckily nipped it in the bud and she didn't try that stunt again). So I double-lunged for three days, and then today I did a double-lunge and climbed back on with the running martingale. She stalled on me a couple times, but I went after her a little more firmly from the get-go and she got with the program and we had some nice work. I think I'll keep the double lunging in the rotation and the martingale on for the next few rides and see where things go. The nice thing is that her trot is starting to get pretty adjustable and we are starting to get a little baby SI. I only half-jokingly said to another boarder that we will have all the trot and lateral work for 2nd level by the time her canter is solid (though we did get a few exuberant circles of left lead canter today).

ETA: I only ended up watching about 3.5 rides for the Gary Rockwell clinic. Not my style of instructing, but I might clinic with him if I specifically was looking to improve test scores. He definitely caught people out on funky hand positions and poor geometry, as well as fiddling into W/C transitions. Two of the riders were working on tempis and showed definite improvement, so certainly the instruction was effective, and he was very fair and kind, while pushing the riders. Some notes:
  • Always know what line you're riding. If you're not in the right place in the arena, there is no correct bend or position. Bend and position are relative to the line you are riding; without that, it is meaningless.
  • When a test calls for SI at the corner letter, don't straighten out of the corner. Be in the SI position at the letter.
  • Similarly, prepare the medium and start to release a stride or two before turning on the diagonal, so you are showing medium right away when you go onto the diagonal. Don't waste strides developing it.
  • The best preparation for a transition is to commit to riding the best walk, or the best trot, and then the up transition just happens as a change in the footfall pattern. Don't fuss around preparing because the horse feels everything and it disrupts his gaits.
  • Ride a SF to the ToH, ride SI into the pirouette.
  • Don't accept any trot steps in the W/C transition. If you get a trot stride, immediately walk and ask again. Otherwise you will have flying change problems later.
  • Weight should be on the inside of the stirrup - If you roll over your ankle and weight the outside, you are taking your calf off.
  • "I see you have your own geometry books out here. I haven't read them." (Even the upper level riders were sticking to the wall for 3-7 strides when they were supposed to be on a 20m circle)
  • For the competition ToH - use the turn off the long side to soften in the direction of the ToH. Keep the tempo the same in the ToH as in the walk steps. Move the shoulders like you are riding an extra steep half-pass but smaller steps. Make sure the haunches don't start to lead because then the forehand will drop.
  • Start the canter pirouette small and then go bigger. If it starts out too big, then don't try going smaller because you'll lose the canter quality.
    When in doubt, give a little more.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:59 am

Hi from wet and windy London. 5 days with grandkids and we are both coming down with head colds... (horses don't give you head colds!) So we are having a quiet day on our own rooted to the sofa and I'm catching up with you all!

I'm enjoying the clinic reports. SF, yes, GR is the master of minutiae, I have found, which doesn't make for exciting auditing. But does provide good notes and food for thought. The geometry thing is one of his things, but it really does make perfect sense, and if I add it to my million other things to think about during the course of a ride it makes a substantial difference to getting things going correctly.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 pm

SF, I was there with a friend on Saturday but just through the first afternoon ride. Friend and I hit the road at 5:30 am to be sure we'd catch the first ride at 8, just missed the first 15 minutes or so. Next time I ride Rudy, I want to work on w-c without prep, which I had kinda been doing recently because it produced better departs. Going to up my game on that though. The other thing he said a lot when we were there was to flex to the outside, sometimes even should-out. Apparently most of the horses that morning were flexing and/or bending too much to the inside, especially down the long side and especially in the canter. Gaits really improved when true straightness was achieved, lol. Sorry about tesla's shenanigans, this too shall pass. :P

Jingles for my friend please. While we had a lovely time on Saturday, Sunday her mare decided to commit suicide backing out of the trailer. Whenever she didn't want to cooperate, this mare would stand straight up on her hind legs, no matter where she was or what was asked of her. She'd whip her head around and try to rip the reins or lead rope out of your hands and then take off upon landing. In other words...this was not a pleasant mare to be around on the ground. She could, otoh, be quite good under saddle and had nice form over fences, very athletic girl. Anyway, she decided to rear up just as she was taking her last front foot off the trailer and this time went too far, flipped over and either fractured her basilar bone. This causes irreversible brain damage, which in her case caused her to start seizuring about 45 minutes in. At that point it was obvious she was not going to survive so we made the call and put her down...so sad, so frustrating.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:36 pm

Sue B wrote: Anyway, she decided to rear up just as she was taking her last front foot off the trailer and this time went too far, flipped over and either fractured her basilar bone. This causes irreversible brain damage, which in her case caused her to start seizuring about 45 minutes in. At that point it was obvious she was not going to survive so we made the call and put her down...so sad, so frustrating.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm so sorry. How tragic.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:58 pm

SF, thanks for those clinic notes. A lot of them are really good reminders or tips to try.

Sue B--oh gosh, what a horrible and traumatic accident. Sending jingles for your friend.

This week is countdown for regionals this weekend and it involves sending prayers to the weather gods. We're supposed to have hard rain all this week and each time I look it's pushed a bit further into the weekend. Right now forecast shows thunderstorms Thursday (our schooling day) and Friday (first day of competition). And with all the rain Sun-Wed as well footing might be a mess. But I'm hoping the rain comes fast and hard early and moves through faster than anticipated. The other thing to manage this week is RP. I'm still struggling to get a good ride on him after all his time off. It's just so hard to get him back into the swing of things. Once he's there, he's there. But it can feel like a mountain sometimes. But fingers crossed we'll be able to get things together in time for/at the show. And if not, there's no getting our money back so we'll still go and use the busy atmosphere as a learning experience. I can always scratch my tests if I need to. Sigh.

Had a good lesson with MM yesterday. We worked on getting more engagement from outside hind in halfpass in both trot and canter. And found that this was quite difficult in left lead canter HP, so something to work on. We also worked on half steps and my instructor noticed that while I had made progress on getting her active and more in place, i was not getting real sit--more of a prance. So we worked on getting her to sit more, which resulted in a levade or two before we were able to get some really good steps.

Return to “Dressage Training”