Leaving the pro rides for lessons

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Leaving the pro rides for lessons

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:52 pm

So Lynx is finishing up his 4th month of professional rides. Now most of this has been partial. I've been taking a minimum of two lessons a week, although sometimes more than that too. It's going well especially for Lynx! My goal as far as having him in training have definitely been accomplished.

I tend to get hyper focused on progress and I've noticed sometimes if I only ride in lessons like I am now, I start to really get down on myself. Even start to lose some of the joy. It just seems I need at least one or two rides a week that are just low-key and at my own pace. But with his age I can't really do that with training rides and lessons.

So, I'm thinking of for October doing one professional ride a week and two lessons a week. Then for November pull him out of professional training completely and only doing lessons and then riding on my own. Obviously if we hit a roadblock I am happy to have someone hop on and do some rides again.

So far he has done a lot in training, especially given the injury. He has:
Went in trail rides, to a busy show, hauled into arenas. He's done pole work. He understands the contact. He's learning very quickly about getting in front of the leg. He understands the concept of leg yielding and is starting to understand turn on the forehand too.

We are doing spirals, squares and serpentines in our lessons. Nothing very intense It's more mental than physical at this point.

I feel like for 4 years old he's in a really good place and I'm not a great riderr by any means but I think I'm confident enough to take over with lessons for a while.

I know we have a lot of people that do it on their own so just wanted to gather thoughts. This is the first time I've ever had a horse in professional training like this. There is nice aspects but I just think I want to take a more relaxed approach for a little but I can't decide if that's not the right path for Lynx. I mean obviously a professional is going to ride how much better than I will.
Last edited by Lipsmackerpony88 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Re: Leaving the pro rides for lessons

Postby StraightForward » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:44 pm

As someone who's never had a horse in professional training, I see no problem with dropping the pro rides. Honestly, I think any more than 1 lesson a week would feel like too much for me because I like to take the feedback and then sort things out on my own. When almost every ride is a lesson or a pro ride, I think the risk is that you get really good at doing what someone else says, rather than becoming an independent trainer of your own horse. Without the pro rides you get more time in the saddle to work on yourself and develop a relationship with your horse. He is coming along well for his age, and if you feel like you're hitting a roadblock or there's a problem you're not able to address on your own, you can always put him back with the pro. However, with 1-2 lessons a week and his good attitude, I really doubt that will happen.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:59 pm

I do feel that sometimes my best progress is made in between lessons. Like they plant the seed and then I kind of nourish it in between. Sometimes I have not been able to actually understand something until I've played with it on my own after lesson ha ha.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:28 pm

I fully agree with SF. I’ve never had a horse in pro training except for a first 39 days on Rip years ago and 20 rides on Gaila before I took over the reins. For the most part I train with just clinics. I was a working student for a year in my early 20’s and got to ride all sorts of horses including FEI and for the past year I’ve had a friend come out for moral support and to have eyes on the ground biweekly for Joplin getting her going more consistently under saddle. It helps to have eyes on the ground but it also helps to ride and explore on your own most definitely. Why my next big purchase may be arena mirrors next year. Expensive saddle this year!

So play with your guy on your own. Get to know him but keep up with lessons. I do wish I could have weekly lessons with Cedar. Ga to KY just a bit too far of a commute

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:09 pm

I think you and Lynx are in a great place to part from the training rides! What does the trainer think?

I had zero choice when I pulled Maia out of training — my pro was just south of Collierville, TN, and I'm in Maryland. So when the pro thought it was time to send her back, I drove down to mom's with the trailer for another two weeks daily training with her (I'd already done 3 weeks a month earlier). It was good, and we were 90% ready — I had the pro's training down-pat, but hadn't completely overcome my pre-Maia trauma.

I did spend the first few weeks doing the curled up in fear thing, because Maia was excited by every little new thing :roll: BUT, I had the tools to work through that ... and a barn owner who pointed out that I do have a safety vest <3 Once I donned that, my self confidence bloomed.

Amusingly, the arena on top of a hill part (literally flattened the very apex of a hill, and the arena is at barn roof level) didn't phase her one bit. And the neighbor's alpaca herd were more cause for head (and body) on a swivel, than pure terror. Both made her unlike every other older horse we've introduced to that arena over the years ;)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:24 pm

Heddylamar, I also think we are in a great place to get going a little more together. So he was in training for 3 months 45 minutes away. Then we moved barns so both trainers (eventer for pole work who rides him twice a week and dressage trainer that so far only has done lessons) are new to me. The dressage trainer thinks we absolutely can get on with lessons now. I haven't talked to the eventer yet. I'm worried that she won't think it's a good idea, But she's a new trainer at the barn and building up her clientele. I hope she will be honest with me but I could also see her suggesting for training for longer because that's her career...

Lynx has been fantastic so far, I've been really impressed. Maybe that will change if I drop pro rides lol but hopefully not.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:49 pm

I had a pro ride in part time training for the first 4 months but I also rode a lot. In my case, the trainer knew the horse really well and we rode fairly similarly. The one thing to watch out for is if the horse is getting different experiences between you and the trainer- some can work between two riders better than others. I have a professional get on my horse once every few months at this point, but to be honest it's better for me to do the riding now as I need to sort it out myself. I use professionals more as a diagnostic and evaluation type thing. Unless I will have them ride 2-3x a week it's more of a check in and I understand there is limited value in that as far as real improvement.

Things change, if you need more help then you are resourceful and can get help. I would definitely try it and leave your options open.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:02 pm

Ryeissa, so far Lynx in my opinion is pretty ammy friendly. For a beginner, no of course not because he's four. But he's a good guy and tries REALLY hard and has had a great attitude.

I feel like a lot has been accomplished and I'm happy. But I think from here on it it's more conditioning and just continuing to make the basics better. Mentally he is catching on quickly but we do have to remember that he is rehabbing that stifle. I do feel that I'm the watchful eye for that. I don't feel like he's being pushed too much physically but I think we are at where we are at for now as far as asking for a lot more from him. So to me I am the one that needs more work and more ride time now.

But yes I definitely think it's not a situation where I'll never have a pro on him again It's just time to take a bit of a break as I don't think it's truly needed at this moment.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:11 pm

One thing though too. Is the two trainers. The only reason I put him with the eventer for the pro rides was because I couldn't really get a hold of the dressage trainer at the moment. I had no idea if she even had any openings or anything and I just wanted to support from when I first moved into the barn. It's a big barn and a very different atmosphere than he was used to and I didn't know how he would be nor how I would be to support him.

Anyways the eventer is a beautiful rider, very kind and considerate to the horses. A little more strict or tough as an instructor but I like her. I also love the dressage trainer. The dressage trainer seems also very sweet and kind to the young horses. And it's really warm and friendly as a instructor.

I usually don't find anything too radically different in any good instruction. But there has been one thing and I'm kind of thinking it might be a problem. The eventer wants me to always be in a half seat or light seat (closed hip) in the canter to help free his back. I understand why she wants me to do this and I especially understand if we are going to be doing lots of pole work. The Dressage trainer wants me to sit the canter. Not sit heavy or drive by any means but sit and relax and go with the motion.

I have a tendency to get tight and nervous sometimes in the canter so I do feel overall it's better for me to sit. Especially if I'm in a dressage saddle. I think would be different if I was in a jumping saddle for my lessons with the Eventer is it's so much easier and more clear to my body.

Not saying that I can't work with the eventer ever but for now I might need to just work with the dressage trainer or one of the other. I think once I'm back in shape for riding this will be no problem at all but for now my body is still kind of figuring it all out...

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:50 pm

If Lynx still has no real top line, I wouldn't necessary sit the canter or only do it for some of the time. As his back develops sitting can be done more and more. That is how I prefer to do it. I'm able to sit very lightly in a dressage saddle to the point that the uneducated eye can't really tell. This keeps me from pitching forward too much but at the same time stay a wee bit 'off the back' when needed.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:21 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:
I usually don't find anything too radically different in any good instruction. But there has been one thing and I'm kind of thinking it might be a problem. The eventer wants me to always be in a half seat or light seat (closed hip) in the canter to help free his back. I understand why she wants me to do this and I especially understand if we are going to be doing lots of pole work.

I do the pole work in a dressage saddle and full seat, but for now you are probably right to let his back develop over time.
Its good to have the skill to do either the half or full seat. I have used each of them depending on what the horse needs. A half seat won't really change the horses' topline if taught correctly (ie- it supports dressage basics).

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:18 pm

I understand it I just don't want to encourage me getting tight in the canter either. I totally know that we can do both in a dressage seat but for me I prefer and feel better and in a jumping saddle for certain things.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:17 pm

It's very possible to work with more than one trainer successfully. But there are times when it can be more confusing than helpful even if both trainers are great and giving you the right advice. I think having one trainer ride him and another one give you lessons might not be ideal for a horse as green as he is or for you as you're getting back into the swing of more regular riding. I think you will be fine with either fewer lessons or fewer training rides. But I do think having one person who is primarily coaching you at this stage would be helpful.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:40 am

I'm getting lessons from both trainers but I hear what you are saying.

So far nobody has said anything conflicting as far as theory or what I should be doing with him. Just that one thing about the canter seat.

But today was fabulous! He really is such a good boy. We went into the back arena which is in a bit of a spookier area. There are horses turned out literally next to the arena and right behind that there is basically a neighborhood. Well the trainer's dog was running around the outside of the ring and spooked the horses that were in the turnout area. The horses took off galloping basically right next to us as we were writing by and all Lynx did was stop for one second and then continued on when I told him it was okay. Then everybody decided they were going to ride in that arena apparently so it was quite busy! But he was so well behaved. Really enjoying him and he feels good.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:19 pm

I'm so happy for you

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:44 pm

Seriously loving him!! He's smart and game.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:05 am

I have never had a horse in full training or even lesson rides. I do not like to have every footfall directed. I do much better figuring it out by myself. I certainly need eyes on the ground but like to do homework and see what makes things tick. My last instructor was so good at selecting exercises to accomplish the goal and I really enjoyed taking those home and working on them.

I am happy for you too...you are due some equine related happiness.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:50 am

Kyra's mom yeah I think being able to practice and feel things out on our own can actually be a great advantage. I try way too hard in lessons sometimes and I don't think it's helpful ha ha!

Thank you. I'm having a blast right now.

Return to “Dressage Training”