New Year, New Goals - January-February 2022

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: New Year, New Goals - January-February 2022

Postby Flight » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:00 pm

Good show story Goldhorse! Sometimes I find all the effort of getting to a show is enough and then I dont want to ride. You did great by the sounds of it.
I've got some working equitation competitions coming up this month. Summer hasn't been too hot this year, usually I skip Jan/Feb but I"m hoping it stays bearable.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:23 am

I am grumpy about sub zero ( F) temperatures, tired of clearing snow and ice, ( minus 19 C for Flight ) . Cleaning stalls is like picking up rocks and clumps of frozen shavings. I nearly got stuck in snow drift with the tractor and had to use the front end loader to lift my axle and pull my tractor forward a few inches at a time. Tractor bobsledding down the hill is a new and rather nerve ranking sport. Lol.

Even hacking at the walk had my horses " purring" a sound they make when they try to warm the air in their nose before it hits their lungs, so I quit. Two if my water buckets split across the bottom from ice swelling them beyond capacity.

It's that time of the year when I get home sick for Zambia. People who.like winter ate not farmers or animal care takers. IMHO.

Khall, and others, did you get hit by Kenan? Is everyone safe?

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:49 am

Wow Goldhorse! Sounds exhausting but way to pull through it for a good test!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:53 am

I can't really even imagine -19 degrees C. I sook when it's zero!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:48 am

That sounds like quite the show, Goldhorse! And you had a good ride? Awesome!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:42 am

Goldhorse, fantastic result, well done just keeping on keeping on when circumstances were less than ideal. Lovely comments on your test!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:39 am

Well done, Goldhorse. Gosh, I had an anxiety attack just reading all that, so I'm in awe of you sang froid!

I'm starting to ponder this years show season. Not much going to happen til May, I dont think. Everything before that just requires too much traveling. The barn is heading out to 3 shows in California between now and then, but, oof... its a long way for 6 minutes in the ring...

And, my shoulder is still making me miserable. I've finally admitted that I need some professional help with it, so off to the physio I go on Wednesday.

Riding doesn't hurt, its just every other damn thing.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:05 am

Goldhorse...what a (very long) day :o . Congrats on persevering.

Well, winter continues. However, since Kyra is barefoot, we have been able to get some short sessions in on the days it has been a little warmer (read a little above freezing and sunshine), It has all been lunging and ground work. I haven't wanted to chance the iffy footing on her back and noticed she has had a small bruise in her right front hoof (sound though) so haven't wanted to get too carried away. especially if the snow is crusty/icy. She has been working quite well. Today, I set up a couple walk poles that were elevated about 12 inches. Straightforward linked a work out using poles and thought that looked like a good thing to do right now. I only used 2 poles to start (the barn only has 4 :| ) since she is fairly out of shape between her little vacay for her virus and the nasty weather and frozen arena. She had to really work at it as I had them elevated on some traffic cones and the poles were very easily knocked off. From both directions, she only knocked one off. She thought that jumping both was easier than walking over them but she only did that once. Since the ground has been frozen, they have had full access to their runs and with the added movement, especially stepping up into her stall, her stifle that was getting a little sticky seems to have resolved. They will probably be stall bound again for awhile when everything thaws but for now, the movement is welcome.

I feel that although it isn't much, the work I have been doing has some training value. If all I can do is walk her on the driveway, I have been putting her on the long reins. She is much more interested and involved than just leading her up and down. Most people out there are doing nothing with their horses...but most of them are shod and the footing probably wouldn't work for them. She is still on a diet and I have had to bathe her stall door and the threshold board with Chew Stop to keep her from eating the barn down. I am hoping that as soon as I can get back on her, I can increase her hay back up. She was happy on that but getting oh so chubby. I am replacing some of that missing alfalfa with a couple pounds of timothy pellets on the days I go out with some Outlast treats before I work her. It makes her happy to see me :D .

Oh Mountaineer...I hear you.

I have had this painful hip since September? I did one round of very UNhelpful PT. Reported back to my PCP who said they would give me a referral to an orthopedic surgeon...they said they did the referral but the other MD's office never called. The supposed referral from the PCP took like a month. Since I have Medicare...and don't need a referral, I set myself up with another orthopod which took another month to get an appointment (finally last week). He agreed with my internet diagnosis (trochanteric bursitis and gluteal tendonitis). He injected my bursa but alas, that only helped for about 2 days. He did refer me to another PT service which I will be a bit more assertive about giving me some work to do. Of course, what hurts it the most is walking up stairs or uphill. So what did I do in November but move my horse to a hillside in the foothills :lol: . I am just tired of hurting :P .
I know that my diet contributes (to all the inflammation) and I am finally getting my butt in gear and changing it. I haven't cut all the carbs but am probably down 3/4 from what I was eating and very little added sugar and am throwing in intermittent fasting. IF is amazing. I am down 9.6lbs this month. So far, really easy to do. It works good with the times my Mom eats. Am doing 16:8 right now (fast 16hrs: eat window 8hrs). I need to do some planning and throw in a longer fast once and awhile. The fasting decreases insulin levels and gets you into fat burning so the longer the better. I just have to figure out how to work around Mom. She doesn't understand why I am doing such things.

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:58 pm

Congratulations Goldhorse! I would have to say that my constitution isn't what it once was so I'm not sure I would have been as successful at turning lemons into lemonade as you did. I hope your friend got through her procedure and is on the mend. I do hope you have some pictures to share. My hairy Morgan is already shedding out.

Chisamba, I share the same opinion regarding those who look forward to and enjoy such freezing, miserable weather. I do hope the weather improves soon and that your spring is more sunshine than rain. I'm afraid that's the other thing that used to get to me when I was living in Missouri and on the East coast. We'd get through the snow drifts and ice only to be greeted by boot sucking mud. Some years were actually quite nice, but others were, well, as a forever horse owner and former kid on a dairy farm, simply expensive and non-productive when spring was far too wet.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:13 pm

Goldhorse good on you for persevering!

Chisamba I’m in Georgia so while we got the tail end of the storm nothing more than a dusting of snow very cold temps for us and lots of wind. Brr. Horses all stayed in for two nights straight. They usually are out this time of year almost 24/7 unless being worked. Thanks for thinking of me though!

I just don’t know how all who live in the frozen north handle the freezing cold and snow ice. Especially having to care for outside animals. Chisamba I know you have the sheep as well. If I ever move it will be further south to Florida or maybe to the southwest in the dry heat!

I’m actually back in the saddle a bit. Though Joplin has to have a bump on her back injected today so not sure how long I’ll have to be off for that. Had a lovely ride on her in the field yesterday which is on my to do list this session.

I’ve got a clinic scheduled with Cedar in March. We are adding in a new bit of lecture/demo on wih and the postures look for. Cedar is going to do a 2 hour lecture demo on this. Looking forward to it!

Lsp WE is a great addition to your dressage work! I think it’s good for their confidence. Plus it’s fun.

Stay warm all! Happy riding for those who can. Healing thoughts to those who need them.

Right now the guardianship is slowly going through the steps needed to complete it. Not sure if my sister will fight it. She did unfriend me in FB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:43 pm

I am posting this link here to try and get more responses than usually cons to the tack forum

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4408&p=72634#p72634

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:39 pm

Maia saw the vet today. A bit of lameness in the SI joint (1), left hock (1) and right hock (1.5-2). She's far less sore now than she was in May 2018, and there's nothing different in her movement (vet's office archives video), so the vet didn't recommend updating imaging today. She's out on a very hilly, muddy pasture and gallops around like a mad woman pirouetting, rearing, and leaping, so ...

One thing I hadn't considered, until recapping with the barn owner, and thus didn't mention to the vet, is that Maia also spends all night walking in her stall — step step, pirouette on the right hind, step, step, right hind again :roll: Finding her a place with pasture/run-in boarding when we leave here in June is going to be my priority.

In the meantime, we've started her on a 14 day course of previcox, with the option to re-fill. Hopefully that takes the edge off. If not, we'll do injections again before we leave Maryland — the last round worked really well.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:58 am

Thank you everybody. I know that you all are a kind group so I'm going to link to a video of my test. I sure had the parking brake on :lol: I wish there was a coefficient for tail.
https://youtu.be/yMIFAXns574
Here is a picture of him with my trainer doing a pony ride
Piggy_Pony_Ride.JPG
Piggy_Pony_Ride.JPG (165.32 KiB) Viewed 7102 times

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:47 am

goldhorse, your video is private. We want to see!!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:00 am

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:33 am

Go Goldhorse!

That has to be one of the scariest rings on the planet. Well done, you must be really pleased.

It was all very nicely done, but you let the parking brake off for the right lead canter and it was really super!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:28 am

Wow, they're is a lot of traffic next to that arena. I could see the tension, especially in the walk, but what a superb steady contact. Well done
Last edited by Chisamba on Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:00 pm

Overall it was a nice test Goldhorse. You guys are a good pair. Your horse is adorable!!

We got about 8 to 10 in of snow. And temps are 10° right now and not warming much. Needless to say, Lynx gets the day off!

demi

Postby demi » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:10 pm

Nice job, Goldhorse! It looked like an accuarately ridden test with good geometry. I liked your bend in the corners to the left. He’s a neat horse and I look forward to watching you progress with him. And that tail!!! He looks like a gorgeous horse under all that winter hair.

Thanks for posting the test.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:28 pm

To ride such a lovely, accurate test with the parking brake is wonderful! By the end of this season you two will be sailing into first place. Excellent job Goldhorse!!!!!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:48 pm

Warmed up enough to actually work my herd. Yay.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:49 pm

Happy dance. Shoulder surgery is not in my near future. A lot of PT and posture correction is... which will make my dressage trainer very happy.

Back we go to posture again.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:08 am

Great news Mountaineer. When I did in my shoulder years ago from swimming, the most effective remedy was working on my core strength and my posture to get rid of any slouching. I hope your journey is as successful.

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:07 pm

Yay for Golden Morgans! Coast to Coast!

Aflie portrait small.jpg
Aflie portrait small.jpg (27.17 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
Last edited by MsM on Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:38 pm

I’ve been able to work right along on my goals for this period. The weather has been workable with the exception of rain all day for a couple of days and now we’re having an sleet/ice storm. High winds and freezing with low teen temps thru Friday but forecast to be 40 and sunny on Saturday.

Early last week I felt that the canter was improving to the point that I did some counter canter work. It felt so good that I decided to check it out on video the next day. The video showed a definitely better canter, but I also saw that my reins were getting too long again. How can I not notice that without the video?! :? Fortunately, it was just a matter of becoming aware that it was happening and when I videoed the next day, the problem was fixed. I am going to try to video at least once a week for a while to check myself.

Yesterday’s ride was our best ever. Really. (It’s relative!!) I tried some trot lengthening and it felt like a real medium trot. I was surprised by that since I’ve done so little actual lengtheing of the trot because I couldn’t get it without her plowing down on her forehand after 2-3 strides. Instead I had been doing a lot of brisk trot work followed by trot-walk-trot and canter-trot-canter on a 20m circle. Plus canter leg yields. Then, few days ago, I started patterning her (at the walk) on a couple of exercises for trot lengthings. First was legyields from the QL to the wall and when we reached the wall asking for a walk lengthening. She picked up on that quickly. Next, was shoulder-in on the wall, to walk lengthening across a short diagonal. She picked that up quickly, also. Then, yesterday, after our usual 10 minute walk warmup, I went right into the exercises from a very brisk working trot. Each time, she gave what felt like a medium trot when I asked for the lengtheing. The SI to lengtheing was better than the legyeild to lengtheing in that it was easier for me to keep her coming under from behind without getting heavy in the bridle. I will check this on video as soon as the weather permits, hopefully Saturday or Sunday.

A lot of our improvement has been from my getting more fit. Three months ago there is no way I could have done a ride like I did yesterday. True, when I was taking the regular dressage lessons, trainer worked me pretty hard, but in reality, I was just hanging on and not actually riding. I am still thinking that when/if I can do a good second level test, I’ll go back to the trainer and get a lot more out of it!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:20 pm

Hey Ryeissa! Where ya been? I hope you and Riot are hanging in through the bad weather…

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:52 pm

Goldhorse, in case our praise and awe haven't hit you yet, you and your Piggy rock. Awesome survival and performance skills! Will be fun to see your development continue.

I hope your friend is hanging in with healing.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:03 pm

I get to go ride in a lesson today after days below 0 or barely above 0! It's 14 degrees now but it's going to get up to 35 today.

But because of the temps, the horses haven't had turnout in days. Lynx loves in a 31 foot long pen with shelter so at least he has a little room. But I think I'm going to try and go turn him out for 20 or 30 minutes and then lunge as well. Our actual ride might only be 15 minutes or so but it's okay.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:42 pm

demi wrote:Hey Ryeissa! Where ya been? I hope you and Riot are hanging in through the bad weather…

I'm good! thanks :)

blob

Postby blob » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:56 pm

Goldhorse--thanks for sharing the test! Agree it's very solid and nice test. If I'd seen the video with no context my main advice would be to ride a bit more forward in the trot--I think it'll really bring the overall score up. But often we have to make decisions based on what we're dealing with, so I very much understand you riding that day with a bit more parking break! And i agree with Chisamba--contact is really nice and steady throughout.

my frustration with work, weather, finding time to ride continues. But I am plugging along. I have a trip with DH and his family next week, which i'm sure will be fun and relaxing. But I have to admit that i would really just like to spend any time off I have right now at the barn and in the saddle!

with MM i'm feeling that a lack of strength and fitness on my part is holding us back. I just can't seem to keep her uphill, forward, and in the contact all at once. Sometimes she feels uphill and correct in the hand, but she's not really forward so it's a false connection. Other times she's definitely forward and in the hand, but also on the forehand and it just doesn't feel like I have the strength and coordination to lift her without losing something else. If I lunge her before I ride, I have a much easier time getting all three--but I should be strong enough to get all three.

with RP i'm focused on getting him stronger behind so we can get the sit and push we need as we move beyond training level. This was always the plan, but I've also noticed recently that he sometimes drags his toe. I don't always feel it, but the footprints in the arena tell a different story. It might be that he needs a lameness exam done, but I'm going to keep an eye on it for a bit before I panic. Right now, trying to confirm our SI work (this is hard for him), lots of transitions, and trot poles to get him stronger and see if this work improves things.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:52 am

Thanks you everybody for your kind words. I was scared sh!tless and I know I was riding defensively. I can do so much better at home. Don't we all say that? :lol: So next show is in March at the same venue. I will be adding a second test. Probably TL3 because I like serpentines. And now that Piggy (short for Piglet of Winnie-the-Pooh) has seen the venue, I will have a different set of problems. Once he knows a place, the snarky side come out. He forgets that he's all of 15 hands and pins his ears and tries to bite and kick any other horse that comes near him. So I guess a red tail ribbon is in his future.
Friend is home from the hospital. The severity of the accident is sinking in. Basically, the trauma surgeon rebuilt the right side of her ribcage. If she gets back on a horse, she'll be wearing an airvest. And frankly, this accident might have been prevented if she was fitter. So we'll have to work on that too.
And after all that, DD#1's BF's youngest brother was in a bad bicycle accident outside of London and went through a window of a car that cut him off. Got a pretty significant TBI. Was in medically induced coma and on a ventilator. Got off the ventilator and is responsive but has a long long road ahead of him.
I want my life to be boring. I enjoy boring. So please distract me with your riding stories.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:58 pm

Okay Gold horse, I can bore you ;) I took my 'sweet' little Morgan out to a lesson yesterday. I should back up and say first the farrier came out and did everyone's feet. It was cold here, as in waterers frozen. I was prepared for some antics; but all 3 horses were angels for the farrier. He and I were both looking at each other with disbelief at the end. Brandon can be a bit of a putz for the farrier but there were no shenanigans. So, I figured that Brandon would be the one to go to the lesson. Originally, I was going to take both horses; but, due to the wind and cold I decided my body was only up for one battle if there was going to be one. Brandon loaded like a champ (I'm thinking it's only the 8th time he's loaded). He was a little sweaty when I unloaded, evidence that hauling is still stressful and new. He was great to tack up and warmed up very calmly. My instructor's place is very busy as I've mentioned in other posts. The traffic, the neighbors, the critters and her own boarders offer lots of distractions. To add to it, Brandon is one that absolutely must be kept busy. He has a very busy mind; so, if I am not constantly giving him something to do, he can start to ball up and think of things to spook at or simply act out, nothing too dramatic but still. So, my instructor had us doing a lot of what Heather Blitz is known for, riding a lot of 'squiggly line' in other words moving left and moving right by using direct rein and expecting that the horse follow not just with head and neck but the shoulders too. This helped with Junior early on and definitely helps with Brandon. We took this idea through walk and trot. Then I started doing leg yields. Brandon wants to sail over in the leg yield (not too unusual for a horse at his level of training) so we worked on slowing him down and moving over then forward, over then forward, etc. He did very well but that busy mind was a little frustrated. Then my instructor wanted to work on the canter, but she wanted absolutely no running and a 'perfect' timing to the strike off, landing on the correct lead of course. To the left we had no problem. To the right, however, Brandon still wants to motorcycle in and bank, meaning leaning on his right shoulder. I definitely have challenges getting him to respect my right leg. Well, I have one approach to this, and my instructor has another. I followed her directives (she finds it easy to ride through me) and I got the first EVER buck from Brandon. It was more of a wimpy buck; but it's the first time his hind end has ever come off the ground with me in a defiant way while riding (spooks don't count). He was clearly very rattled and frustrated. We went back to work at the walk and trot focusing on getting him to move off my legs and maintain an appropriate tempo. During much of this my riding instructor was getting hay delivered, taking phone calls, etc.....in other words she was very distracted. She was repeatedly 'stopping' my lesson which I think had Brandon's mindset at 'we're done' more than once. This unfortunately I think was part of what rattled Brandon..........so though I had more time left in my lesson and more horse I suggested that we quit, let me go home and work on the canter departs and come back to ride with her another day.

The good - no unscheduled dismounts, a horse who loaded quickly to go home (even faster than when he loaded to leave home), and one who didn't cement into memory any unintended movements if you know what I mean. The 'bad' - I had to point out to my instructor (friend) that there is a huge reason why I am able to start, back and train up from the ground youngstock (repeatedly) and why she has a long list of false starts who never really got past ground manners. Some back history, she earned her bronze on a OTTB years ago and deserves much credit for getting him to fourth level before his age and injuries from the track caught up with him. She earned her silver on my former horse, Monty. She's an L grad with distinction and a very analytical person with a good eye and feel in the saddle but if you know the movie UP with Doug the dog and his squirrel distractions, she's a human form of Doug. Though she and I are both too old to have gone through the labelling that kids now get through school/counselors/therapists, etc., I suspect if she were a kid in school now, she'd be diagnosed with both ADD & ADHD. I explained to her that she was right when she recognized Brandon's frustration and realized we needed to back off but wrong to want to go back to pick 'that' scab when he re-settled while the circumstances (surroundings) were still chaotic. I reminded her that one of the best lessons she's ever given me was to learn not to get too greedy..............she realized that I was/am right. We're still friends and I feel she has one of the best eyes on the ground. She realizes I respect her opinion and her knowledge but that I pick and choose what I feel can be applied and/or when it can be applied to my beasts, safely. She's one of the few who don't get her panties in a wad when I make this clear. I'm going back next week and taking both horses. It's supposed to be warmer so my body should be better up to the challenges if either beast thinks they need to improvise or act off script LOL.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:41 pm

Exvet, thanks for sharing your lesson recap! I'd love to hear more about the squiggly line method. I'm picturing like a mini serpentine type figure? I think that might be good for Lynx based on your description.

Good for you for knowing when to call it a day with your young horse. And even though you think you're instructor wasn't making the correct call at the end, her refreshing that she respects what you say as well.

Yesterday in my lesson we did mostly a lunge lesson. Like I've said before I'm not the best at lunging and Lynx is certainly not easy on the lunge. We used some kind of handmade aid that's supposed to be kind of like a side rein. Not sure how to even describe it. Regardless he did start to work well.

Then I hopped on just for 10- 15 minutes just at the walk. He was really swinging through his back which was awesome. And we had some of the best leg yields yet. We called it a day after that. :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:03 pm

ExVet, my trainer has come to respect that I know when we are being too greedy, and that stopping while we are ahead is where it's at for us, but I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm just being a weenie sometimes (and she may be right, but I'm the one paying for the privilege.)

So yesterday I was presented with two fat hind legs. the right one fat down the inside, the left one down the outside... Sound as a dollar, though. We had a gentle walk/trot ride (inasmuch as any ride is gentle with Potters--he was feeling pretty good) and called it a day. The swelling had gone down some, and he was completely non-reactive to my poking at them. I painted them with green sweat and will go down shortly and see how they are looking today--because my sore shoulder really feels like an hour and a half sitting in the car on a Saturday. (PT is kicking my butt, as expected, but if it works, it beats surgery.)

My suspicion is that he double barreled the stall wall between him and his annoyingly busy neighbor, or got himself cast somehow, but who knows? He also had the farrier earlier in the week, and this was his fifth day in a row of work, 2 of which were trainer days, and he had his hocks injected 10 days ago, so it's been a big week of activity, and bigger movement.

Horses, I tell you. One step forward, two steps back.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:04 pm

LSP, I lunged Brandon today after I rode Junior. Every day I lunge Brandon he gets better and better.........Truthfully when I first got him, I was like, um yeah maybe the lunge isn't going to work for you :roll: but I do notice that not only is he getting more through and over his back while on the lunge he is becoming much more responsive as opposed to reactive to my cues. It's taken quite a while to get to this point but has been worth the wait. He's a horse that one must be really careful with not because he's bad in any overt way - no bolting, rarely bucks and his rears are laughable, but he is able to fake the look and is so good at posing that you really have to pay attention and make sure he's coming all the way through with what you want and expect. He'd rake it in on the breed circuit; but of course, like I've always been with the Welsh Cobs, I expect my Morgan to be more of a performance horse than a Barbie Doll much to his chagrin. I had to laugh out loud (which my neighbors heard and had to come over to investigate) while I was finishing up with Brandon and verbally providing gushing positive reinforcement, I noticed Junior had pulled his head out of the hay manger and was staring, totally focused on what we were doing. I'm hoping he realized what Brandon was getting praised for and learning a lesson through auditing LOL. Hopefully I'm not way off base because after all the big stinker pony has learned all sorts of mischievous things like how to open gates and carabiners by watching us humans. Perhaps he could appreciate Brandon's efforts to come through and over the topline reaching into the bit? One can dream as well as hope. I must say with total sincerely that with all the crap going on in today's world and the trials and tribulations I read about here and elsewhere, I am reminded daily how blessed I am because Annwylid Dare to Dream and HTBF Colonel Brandon certainly fulfil mine.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:00 am

We are, indeed, the most fortunate of people to have the means be able to fulfill our dreams and passions, and to actually have them to fulfill.

Mr fat legs was looking sufficiently better today that trainer told me to stay home. So I did. And cleaned bathrooms. Yipee.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:41 pm

The outdoor arena was thawed enough to lunge yesterday afternoon. It was glorious, working out in the sun. Annabelle made it clear that it was not going to work for riding until it gets dragged though. Hoping the BO will do so this week as I think we are all quite ring sour. Tesla is more of a 4 wheel drive with big feet, so I might ride her out there today. She's had the week off from riding because I thought the kicking at my leg might be related to an early heat or something. I think I've made some good progress on my position and really need to get some new video. I rode with one of the most knowledgeable boarders last night and she said our trot was looking really good. I think the DRT work is already starting to pay off in my sitting trot, so I'm motivated to keep after it.

And yes, it is an immense privilege to be able to devote so much time and resources to pursuing this sport. We are lucky, even when we're schlepping out in the cold, dark and muck. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:51 am

Woot! Woot! Woot! Maia is back to her normal self, finally. And she's feeling great. No lameness, all the Pokey-ness (Gumby's sidekick). Riding this evening was entertaining. "Let's play!!" "No." "But, kitty, in a tree!" "No."

Much to Maia's disappointment, we'll be getting back to work this week.

I tried her in bit #3 of the past month+ too today. I've been riding her for ages in a 5" french link baucher, and all of sudden it was pinching. So I ordered a 5.5" ... which was too big when I tried it on her after Christmas. Then a 5.25" came in during the whole lameness ordeal, and we rode in it today. Still too narrow. So I'm going to ride her in the 5.5" tomorrow and hope it works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does anyone need a french link baucher? I have a few.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:05 am

Yeah...fat legs. Kyra started stocking up when confined to the stall. That swelling quickly resolved each day with exercise. Then they let them out into their runs. She took offense at the gelding next to her just looking at her I think--how dare he? She managed to kick the nice 3 inch steel pipe fence...Both legs have lumps on them. The right quite a goose egg. I suspect she might have broke off the end of the splint bone? She was tender to palpation a couple days after she did it but never lame. Then the next week, she had a capped hock on the left...no doubt more kicking :roll: . Thankfully, the capped hock has resolved quite a bit which I didn't think would happen. Since then, she is warming up to said gelding. A couple days ago, they were grooming each other with no squealing or kicking.

I did manage a couple walk rides this week. The arenas still have some snow and ice in them but more and more is emerging every day with temps in the upper 30's, low 40's. Still,most of it too chunky or icy to do anything other than walk. She got a bit tense Friday but yesterday after 20 minutes, she got revved up and it felt like I was on a little keg of TNT. She was minding but tense and hyper. Despite the tension, I got some really nice turns on the square...both TOF and TOH. I think a lot of the tension is just the coming spring, hormones and ground conditions that haven't allowed her to really tie one on in turn-out and release a bit of her pent up energy. I turned her out today but all she did was roll. Could it be she has some degree of self preservation and knows better than to try her airs on that ground? The ground is improving but we need to get warmer at night to really break up snow and frozen ground. It will come. I will probably soon be complaining about the heat.

Today, I set up some lunge poles in a fan and walked and trotted her. She was still kind of hyper. I set her down once for getting silly...I don't allow silly on the lunge. After that, I would just say no and she would slam on the brakes and flip her head without me touching the line. Just a little much drama for me :P . For my two rides, she was very chompy with her mouth...even on loose reins. I checked her mouth today and didn't see anything sinister in case I needed to move her dental up. I think she is just showing the tension in her mouth. Hopefully we can get it worked out before we start upping the workload. In my old age, I have found it easier to have to add energy. I find it hard to deal with too much :P . Hopefully, this too shall pass.

Susan

MsM
Greenie

Postby MsM » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:21 pm

Age hasnt done much good for me. But it seems it has done some good for my horse.

For the past three years Alfie has suffered from the Winter Sillies. Excessive energy that I couldnt really tap into under saddle, and amnesia about recent training. I still chuckle over people talking about "walk only" rides as he does NOT want to walk in the winter and it would be a discussion the whole ride. Even with the opportunity to blow off some steam in the indoor, he was still a challenge.

Happily, this year he is much better! We have had numerous day when I could ride him normally and he listened to half halts! He still can be fizzy and we have to reinstall brakes every so often, but much more relaxed overall. So nice to have some progress.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:26 pm

Glad Maia is better and you're able to ride again! Bits are annoying- just a tiny bit of difference in sizing seems huge.

Yesterday I rode Tesla outside for the first time in almost two months. She was quite mellow even with another boarder's dog in a car by the arena barking its head off. Her new thing is to be good for our first round of trot work, and then when I pick up the reins after a walk break, she throws a little tantrum. So I guess I have that to look forward to for the next couple weeks. She did get back to work after a couple minutes, and I got probably some of the best trot work she's produced - I could feel her starting to lift through the sternum and come up and out to the bit. It's going to be a blast when we can produce that consistently! We also got our best yet TOF, and some nice contact. I think the Novocontact bit is going to be a winner.

Hoping the arena gets dragged this week so I can ride Annabelle outside too.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:51 pm

Jingles for all the far, stocked up legs! I hope it's nothing. Lynx had a bout of that in fall, vet wasn't concerned and it went away.

Glad to hear that Tesla is going well! I will keep that but on my radar. The happy mouth we are using is working okay for now for Lynx.

I'm having some winter blues. The barn is a busy barn. Which in some ways is good. But when everyone is stuck in one indoor, it's tough.

There is 5 trainer/instructors there. Dressage, Showjump, Eventer and two children instructors. There has been times when there was seriously like five lessons going on at once. Chaos. Yesterday I rode and mostly just worked on some walk-trot transitions because it was crowded. And there is three people that always ride together And they are kind of chaotic to ride with. They will just cut in front of you at the canter without calling their line or anything. They are mostly trail riders.

I'm thankful for the indoor at all so I shouldn't complain. Until one of the outdoor arena is melted, progress might be slow.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:06 pm

Our weather here while not frozen is cold and wet. Not getting much work done. Though the last bit of in hand work I did with Joplin I was able to get piaffe very easily just asking for straightness then energize. Gaila too has had a bit of on line and in hand when I can.

Waiting on court date for guardianship. Social worker was here Friday for the evaluation. And Henry got to meet a male dog Sunday to see how he is with males. He’s definitely a lover not a fighter. My friend’s dog got a bit aggressive with him and Henry did not engage.

Went out this morning to find Juliet had gone through the hot tape into the hay field. Grr I hope this is not going to be an issue with her. I had to move Rip for the same reason. Horses

I have a Cedar clinic scheduled for March. It’s already full and we are trying something different with doing a lecture/demo on wih and the postures we are looking for in that work. Will also use Gaila and possibly Rip for those who want to feel some of the work. They get to draw straws who works with Rip! Lol!!

Hopefully this week will have nice weather and can get some work done. Ready for spring!
Last edited by khall on Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:39 pm

All last week was cold and lots of rain which turned into ice so I only rode twice. This week is much better already. I rode Sunday after several days off and had a nice ride. Still too muddy for trails so I rode in the arena thinking it would just be a walk ride to warm up. We both felt so good that I ended up doing trot lengthenings and shallow loop canters for the first level tests. I was happy.

I was looking forward to my ride yesterday thinking it would be a continuation of Sunday’s ride but that didn’t happen. It was so windy that I was having trouble getting Rocky to relax. At one point I thought we might be getting a tornado! Then, 10 minutes after I got on, our new neighbor started working on his 4 wheeler. Apparently he’s having engine trouble so he was gunning the engine over and over and it kept backfiring. It sounded like gunfire. Hopefully today will be better.

This period is going fast! I want to get First level test 1 videoed but I’ve only been working on trot lengthening and havent even started the canter lengthenings. I think canter will be easier than trot because the momentum helps me keep her off the forehand. And she naturally wants to lengthen out at the canter. The biggest problem i think will be bringing her back to a working canter. Im not sure the 15 m circle after the lengthening will help much! On the positive side, I’ve been working on the canter doing the shallow loop and also doing a lot of t-c-t transitions, trying to get the transitions from my seat and legs alone, without using my hands… so good prep for canter lengthenings.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:57 pm

Had a bit of a colic scare with Queso over the weekend, which turned into a couple miles of handwalking to make sure that everything was back in order. He's perky again now but that's definitely not how I was planning on spending Sunday!

Naturally, saddle fitting was last week Tues; haven't been able to get out and ride in the newly refit saddle since due to combination of weather and colic issues... although in keeping with the bareback vs. saddle thread from last week, I did toodle around saddle-less yesterday evening.

Have decided to just hit reset and try again this week.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:11 am

I too have a clinic at the end of February. It inspires me to focus a bit better. It was quite pleasant today, reached freezing, or should I say thawing point. I was able to ride everyone. Even a light ride on Caliburn who is is beginning to feel more comfortable barefoot.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:44 am

I did not have a good ride yesterday. Odin is a proper dude horse. Relatively nice mover for dressage, keen jumper, can go anywhere and safely handle him myself, great with/without other horses, on outrides etc. But that same laid-back attitude makes dressage very very hard work for me sometimes. Yesterday he was just not feeling it. I felt like the shrew-like mother screaming at her 30-year-old child totally mellowed out on hash and going "wuuuuuuut????".

I ended up with a minor loss of temper, hated myself a bit and just gave up.

We have very few bad rides, 90 percent of the time I end up with a huge smile after both dressage and jumping. So I know I'm lucky. But damn I don't always want to work so hard at it.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:23 pm

The arena got groomed and is 90% rideable save a strip on the long side that gets shaded by the fence in the afternoon. Annabelle seemed very happy to be working outside and we got some nice forward work. Then I rode Tesla under the outdoor lights as it got dark. She wanted to ignore me and stare out into the darkness at first, but eventually got with the program. I felt like the canter was there, but I opted for ending on some nice trot work. Now that we have more space we need to get back to doing more forward back and sitting to posting to sitting in trot and finding the SI again before focusing on canter, I think. I'm sure we'll eventually be forced back indoors when we get some rain and the arena turns to muck, but the chance to get outside was much needed!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:01 pm

Mari, I totally get the feeling. I've been feeling that way too. I even had a tough groundwork session with Lynx the other night that left me feeling defeated (he's 4 1/2.) I hope your next few rides are wonderful. :)

Straightforward- I'm jealous! I really want to ride outside. Our outdoors are still snow/ice covered. It might stay warm enough this week that they might melt but hopefully they also dry. Fingers crossed. Glad you are having such good rides right now :)

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:52 pm

I got another ride on Ms. Distraction. It started out better than Saturday but alas, her new boyfriend came down off the hill and she lost it over him.
Deep breath (by me). I got defensive riding her on Saturday and as we all know, that never works. Apparently Pete (the BF) was not being a good boy either. Kyra focused better while he was in the arena and not walking behind the trees in the parking lot. Pete's owner got him cooled down from his very sweaty state then went back to the barn. Cue more distraction since he left her (they can't see horses or the barn from that arena). Her gaits were very erratic. Her mega walk as I will call it was definitely a flat footed 4 beat walk but was so fast and tense, I felt like I needed to figure out to post to it. Slow, fast and everything in between. She finally came back to me a bit after he had been gone a few minutes. We had a corner of the arena that was snow-less and we could do an about 12 meter circle and threw in a bit of trot. Also did some head to the rail LY at trot as that slowed her a bit without going to her face. She was so tense and I really don't enjoy those rides. However, we finally worked it out. When she sped up, I asked her to do something else...TOH, TOF or back up then asked her forward at walk on a loose rein. If she sped up, rinse, repeat and finally she started doing a relatively purposeful ride-able walk. She walked back to the barn perfectly relaxed. So at least we ended on a good note.

It seems that most of the horses are full of it right now. It must mean Spring is coming?

Susan

Return to “Dressage Training”