Keeping calm and cantering on

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Keeping calm and cantering on

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:44 pm

Oh you certainly have to develop the canter and yes I agree good work in any fair improves the canter. If I can ever get Kimba to improve her canter even more, I will be over the moon, but at this point in her career that is what she needs.

I was trying to say in my long winded obscure way that the skill we truly need is to develop the canter. So taking the patience to bring it on well in the early stages is important

khall

Postby khall » Mon May 02, 2022 3:33 pm

Revisiting the canter thread. One of the milestones I like to hit with my horses is be able to long straight lines trot canter trot new lead canter eventually progressing to simple changes straight line then going to bending lines both. I just think it’s an important training step and I’m lucky to have big hay fields that I can do this work in.

I’ve started the canter trot transitions with Joplin and I find I do have some anticipation with her ( not something I have with the WBs!) so I have to be very mindful of my position and keeping her on the aids. Success!! It’s also doing a really god job of showing how she needs to keep herself organized so she’s ready for the transitions.

Some of the next work I want to try is SI C and ultimately HI canter transitions. Last couple of times I’ve worked her in hand and US though she’s been fussier than normal. Going to have her mouth looked at. She’s been really good since I’ve put her in the mickleman and myler comfort snaffle

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 12, 2022 4:16 pm

I was finally able to get a lesson on Tesla with my regular instructor today. She had me putting her in a deeper frame and over-emphasizing the bend to get her unstuck in her back. Once she loosened up and was really moving forward we got some much better canter to the left, and then even managed somewhat non-hectic cantering to the right. She told me about a couple more DeNiro horses she's been around this winter that are really similar, one that has a huge trot and just doesn't canter, but that once they get past this, they tend to stay sound and get to FEI. I have another lesson tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully we'll be able to build upon what we got today.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Thu May 12, 2022 8:42 pm

Got piaffe to canter today on Joplin!! I used to play with this with Rip. Joplin is really stepping up and then some:)

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:53 pm

Happy with both my girls in their canter journey! Joplin is coming along and Gaila got clean change with Cedar L to R. Did not get it on video unfortunately

https://youtube.com/shorts/jcafca9rgtY?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/bajCUNzTxmE?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/gr_hmdfsutY?feature=share

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:37 pm

Wow, I have loved watching everybody's videos and hearing about their shows and lessons! You all look wonderful!!

I had a good time at the Jenn Holling clinic this weekend. We did a dressage lesson on Saturday and then pole work Sunday. Saturday, I stupidly but my Herm Sprenger bit on wrong( My first time ever making that mistake.) We didn't catch it until the end of the ride but he felt a little heavy and I would assume that was a big part of it lol. He was actually very focused almost the whole ride except for a little bit of a dramatic spook at a cone that we had passed many times. I think he was getting a little tired at that point. It was so hot and I almost was on the edge of heat exhaustion. Thankfully my 10-year-old daughter was there and helped me untack and stuff.

Sunday was much cooler, so physically I was in a better place. Mentally I got pretty nervous but I worked through it and I think we did a really good job. I really liked Jenn as a clinician even though she's an eventer.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:38 pm

Not the best photos but something to share.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220618-181104_copy_305x271.png
Screenshot_20220618-181104_copy_305x271.png (120.9 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
IMG_20220618_162627_791_copy_432x432.jpg
IMG_20220618_162627_791_copy_432x432.jpg (43.91 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

khall

Postby khall » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:09 pm

Thought I would resurrect this thread since the canter work was a huge focus for us this past clinic. Joplin is really starting to develop the collection in her canter now for me to learn to ride this big powerful canter she has!

https://youtu.be/smQOZvAUKJs

https://youtu.be/SOV-ObL8mdU

We have miscommunications at times but Joplin is really stepping up to the plate. This was the 4 th day of a 4 day clinic. So happy with my homebred buttermilk buckskin girl!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:24 pm

My new canter challenge: I'm starting to introduce Tesla to jumping. She clearly things cantering is better than trotting, but she cannot find her distance to a ground pole/crossrail to save her life. I think fall is going to involve cantering over All The Things maybe 2x a week. I have to sit absolutely zen neutral to each "fence" and also thinking very forward and let her figure it out. At least all the two-point is doing great things for my quads. :D
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:26 am

Some canter at the end of our lesson today, along with touching on some SI to renvers. T is getting much more maneuverable in the canter, and the lesson today was about getting her to accept a little more weight on the hind legs and stay under my seat in trot. That is translating well into canter. Come to think of it, she didn't swap leads in back once today. I have to really focus on keeping my right seatbone stuck to the saddle and bringing the shoulders left.
https://youtu.be/4rer0QVgV5A
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:04 pm

It was so interesting to read back through this thread. I am so happy to report how much better it all is now. I still have to be quite emphatic about getting her to bend right at the beginning of each ride, but she is learning to move off my right leg much better in all gaits. Yesterday we were able to use HI on a circle, and then spiral out and canter, and even think a little HI in canter. We just started touching on W/C and C/W transitions, and baby trot HP, and expect all these new tools will give us an upward trajectory with the canter over the winter.

I am still getting used to her now very emphatic canter departs - witness my feet out on the dashboard as we launch :mrgreen: The new challenge is to keep her on my seat with finer control of the steps in all gaits.
Attachments
Canter Depart cropped.jpg
Canter Depart cropped.jpg (32.23 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”