April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
demi
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby demi » Mon May 30, 2022 9:25 pm

I’m thinking about Besa and wanted to clarify a bit what I wrote earlier regarding “ulterior motives”. I have often felt that my trainer works better for more advanced students, and she does tend to push me out of my comfort zone even with Rocky. With Besa, though, i have to wonder if she thinks I’ll give up if she works me as hard as Besa is able. She may not even be doing it consciously, but I think she really wants the best for the WS- which would be her having the most rides on the mare, with me just coming out occasionally to plop around, or cool the horse out after a training session with the WS. I’m getting the idea that this scenario is somewhat common at dressage training stables. The lady that sold Besa didnt ride a lot before the WS started leasing her. And there is another situation where an owner doesn’t ride much but leaves the training and showing (of a very nice younger warmblood) up to my trainer’s assistant. I don’t necessarily think that’s a bad situation, it’s just not what I want for my horse and me.

I want to leave the mare in training, and the program is to pay full training whether the owner rides a lot or a little. Im ok with that. But I want to do most of the riding with trainer just tuning up occasionally . I also think that even 3 days a week with the WS is a lot of extra wear and tear on the horse that she doesn’t need in order to simply be my amateur horse.

I am working this out in my head before I go out to talk to the trainer tomorrow, just so that I wont be “talked into” something that I don’t want.

blob

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby blob » Mon May 30, 2022 9:33 pm

Demi--you had mentioned in one of your early posts about Besa that the WS was hoping to get her silver with Besa. What level is Besa schooling/showing currently?

you absolutely should not be talked into something you don't want to do or that doesn't feel right. I think trainers are programmed to think about potential in a horse. I don't think this is a bad thing--it's waht makes them trainers. But I think it can mean that it is difficult for some trainers to remember that the horse does not have dressage goals of its own and so it is ok if a horse does less than it is capable of.

demi

Postby demi » Mon May 30, 2022 9:56 pm

Blob, Besa just started showing this year. Only two recognized shows and one schooling show so far. She showed 4th at the first recognizes show and 4th/PSG at the second. WS got all the scores needed at 4th.and WS just started riding her in December last year. Up till that time they weren’t actively training her, just keeping her so the owner could ride her occasionally. The mare is capable but they have her on the fast track, in my personal opinion. Maybe taking a little advantage of her talent and good nature. Thanks for reminding me that the horse has no dressage goals of her own! Last week when the WS rode her, she said the mare is happier the harder she work. Trainer said “did you hear that, Robbin(Demi)?” :?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon May 30, 2022 11:12 pm

Oy. Ignore their manipulation!

Yes, some horses do better when occupied. I have two of those mares. But just because they need to be mentally busy doesn't mean they're not prone to burnout too. I give them time off interspersed with regular work, plus frequent excursions. Even just a walk down the driveway after a ride — there's different stuff to gawk at — is a treat for Maia. And off property? Woohoo!!

blob

Postby blob » Mon May 30, 2022 11:14 pm

There is no reason you need to compromise--she is your horse. But if the conversation gets difficult, I wonder if you offer the WS one more show to try to get her PSG scores. I can see the trainer and WS having a 'but we're so close!' mentality. but if she gets one more show and gets her PSG scores then they might feel less eager/anxious about the arrangement.

I do think some horses like the consistency of work, but that doesn't necessarily mean they like harder work or have ambitions that need to be fulfilled. RP would be happiest if he was ridden every day, but he would be fine if those rides were training level rides and walking rides or stretch rides for the rest of his life. Is he willing and capable of doing more? Absolutely and so we do. But the 'happier in work' i think is usually a consistency thing more than a level thing or intensity thing.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue May 31, 2022 1:06 am

Demi - you are the owner now. Please do what YOU want for Besa and pursue your goals. WS can make other arrangements as she has more riding years in her future.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 31, 2022 3:02 am

Sent you a PM, Josette!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue May 31, 2022 1:58 pm

LSP, I hope you pick a better farrier to address those honking heels. Feet have such a multiplicative effect on the entire body, not surprising seeing those pictures. Lucky as it sounds like you have other farrier options to 'date'.

Demi: Ride the %#&@ horse. :D I can't tell you how many ladies at the barn play that game of well trainer wants this or that and end up riding in a lesson once a week. Which is fine if that's what they want but sometimes I wonder...

I trucked over on Saturday for a lesson and ended up going for a double header on Monday as well. Trainer had me really dig into Kora carrying the bit and addressing the left side that's been causing me issues with stolen unaided flying changes. I wanted to have more confidence in that place and get there quicker so, back we went Monday. Some serious shoulder out going right and forward from the leg aids and shazam, lovely even in both reins and everything was easily at my fingertips. Can we get it at the show? Maybe...

signal-2022-05-31-091650_001.jpg
signal-2022-05-31-091650_001.jpg (121.46 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
signal-2022-05-31-091650_002.jpg
signal-2022-05-31-091650_002.jpg (135.72 KiB) Viewed 7036 times
signal-2022-05-31-091650_003.jpg
signal-2022-05-31-091650_003.jpg (125.82 KiB) Viewed 7036 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 31, 2022 4:17 pm

Demi, I'm with everyone who is encouraging you to ride YOUR horse. That is what you bought her for, right? Adjustments can always be made over time, so don't feel like you can't shift the ratio of your rides vs. trainer rides or whatever later on.

Aleuronx, Kora is looking very grown-up!

We got soaked over the weekend, so I rode both girls in the indoor today. Tesla jumped right into canter both directions, which is huge because the indoor is only 60'x120'. She did get a little hectic with it, but there is no way I could have even gotten her to attempt it a month ago. We're supposed to haul over for lessons tomorrow morning, but they only have an outdoor there, so I need to see if their arena is underwater as well.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue May 31, 2022 6:40 pm

Kora looks great!

Demi-- echo SF et al above. Besa is your horse and you get to make training and riding decisions. While it is frustrating to be on the cusp of a big milestone e.g. medal and not make it due to circumstances out of your control, that's just life in horses (and you're certainly not obligated to finance someone else's accreditations!).

I have had a horse that thrived in a) daily and b) upper-level work-- and was absolutely terrible at relaxed days e.g. hacking around the property unless there was an element of work to it (half steps, passage); his brain would just leak out of his head unless he was put together and working over his back. That's the exception more than the rule, though.

Meanwhile, speaking of brains leaking out of heads, I had worked up an end-of-thread recap already only to realize we still have 30 days to go. So I'm really knocking it out of the park today.

Queso is a superstar as per usual.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 31, 2022 8:16 pm

Queso is so darned cute! And Kora looks mighty fine there, too.

We too got drowned over the holiday weekend, so I had to ride inside today. He's much more forward inside, but his antennae are up and he's looking for something to spook at (and successfully finding it.) However, if I can keep the relaxation and not feed into his nonsense and stay out of his face, the forward makes him big and soft and the lateral work is just scrumptious.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 31, 2022 10:51 pm

Yes, to ride the horse you chose to buy, Demi! Also you looked very happy together in your earlier video. E N J O Y. Not your job to finance someone else's ambitions, unless that makes *you* happy to do so (sometimes it does--no judgement from me on that).

Love Queso, the flying change machine! Kora looks wonderful and so do you, A. Inspiring updates.

My work is ? slightly ? more under control but with mare rehab work in progress I don't really have the capacity to take on another. But Emi is happy and getting stronger.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue May 31, 2022 11:41 pm

I have news: our house is SOLD!!! Closing is June 17, but we signed the paperwork today that essentially signs the ownership of the house over to the DH's company's relocation service. They do all the rest of closing. Movers will be here in 13 days, and us, the piggies, and Maia get on the road in 15 days for our 2000 mile trek :shock: ;)

In all, it was 7 offers in 4 days on the market. Supposedly there were two more offers coming, but they didn't show in the promised time frame, so we accepted the all cash offer. This market is just nuts. Every single offer was at least $15k over asking for a 2000 sqft townhouse. The realtor is probably giving us side eye for not listing $10k higher like he wanted, but we just wanted it gone.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:22 am

Well…no training today but she got her hill work :lol: . The old girl (she turned 20 on 5/19) still looks pretty good. She has been stall bound all since Sunday due to all the rain and the arenas have been closed. Hopefully at least one of them will be open tomorrow.
What had her so entranced and buzzed was ET (the extra terrestrial) which in fact is a 2 week old foal in the next pen :!: . I don’t know why she thinks she is so alien. The foal is cute as a button.
https://youtu.be/xnpd-3viOX0

Demi, do what you want to do with YOUR horse. I am not sure I could put a horse in full training. I am too hands on…my hands for good or bad :D .

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:55 pm

Yeah Heddy! Best of luck with the move, I'm sure it will all go fine :)

Demi, I was thinking WRT to the training/riding situation: what would you do if you bought Besa somewhere else and were bringing her in to a place where she didn't have a history? What would you want to do? Just an idea to remove what feel like past obligations from the decision.

I hauled both Annabelle and Tesla over for lessons this morning. Yeah, it was chestnut mare drama city. Not helped by the fact that they haven't had any turnout since Saturday due to the rain. I rode Annabelle first and she was doing pretty well, but then built up tension all over again and started doing her pogo stick spooks at random moments. We settled for a circle each way of trot with her stretching down into the bit and not spooking and called it a day. Put her in the pen next to the arena and she was totally crackers when I took Tesla out. After some lunging and a little tense start, Tesla was actually better behaved than A. We worked on stretchy trot circle and then keeping the stretchy feeling into a nice loose trot SI down the long side. I decided to put cantering on hold for this week because last week she started doing her lead swapping thing with the extra tension, and then brought it back into the canter work at home. Hopefully after another trip or two they'll both calm down and we can get to more serious work.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:13 pm

Demi, was the sale to you facilitated on the understanding that the WS would get the chance to get her silver on her?

My horse is in "full training" but I do nearly all the riding if I'm not injured or otherwise engaged. 4 days a week, I'm under the watchful eye of the trainer--either I ride or she does. Or if it's that kind of day, the WS will take him out for a hack.

I'm still in charge of all feeding, lifestyle and tack choices, however.

I've never had this luxury before, and with a 45-minute trip to the barn it sure takes away the "got to get to the barn" anxiety.

And now I get to go write the check for June...

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:56 pm

Nice pics of Kora! Also Queso! I like his bridle. I really enjoyed the video of Kyra. She is lovely to watch and what a beautiful head she has!

Thanks for all the helpful pep talks on my new horse and the WS issue. Mountaineer, it was not pre-arranged that she would continue to lease the horse. It is totally my option and I’ve decided not to half-lease her. WS had paid for leasing 3 days a week through May and I honored that arrangement. As of today, I am going to ride 5 days a week, 3 rides being lessons and 2 where I’ll just ride on my own, but under trainer’s supervision. Any days that I cant ride, trainer will ride her.

I had a lesson yesterday and I was quite satisfied with it. I got a good workout. My hips are adjusting to riding a wide horse but it’s a WIP. Initially, I had planned to keep working Rocky, but it’s all my hips can take to ride Besa right now. I ride Besa first thing in the morning while it’s still cool outside, and when I get home to ride Rocky, all I am able to do is walk her. My trainer was very happy to give me a lesson every day, but I realized quickly that I needed an easy day after each lesson to let my hips recover. Each day, my hips feel a little better. After the first couple of lessons, I had a hard time dismounting, but today was much easier, almost normal.

I have another lesson tomorrow and I’m looking forward to it. It will take a while to get in sync with a new horse. I’ve only ridden her 6 times so we have a ways to go. She has such a lovely temperament, that my mistakes don’t bother her at all. On the other hand, when I get it right, she rewards me so nicely. I’m smiling as I type this. She is so neat.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Demi - Excellent Update!!!! :D

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:10 am

demi wrote:I have another lesson tomorrow and I’m looking forward to it. It will take a while to get in sync with a new horse. I’ve only ridden her 6 times so we have a ways to go. She has such a lovely temperament, that my mistakes don’t bother her at all. On the other hand, when I get it right, she rewards me so nicely. I’m smiling as I type this. She is so neat.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Enjoy :!: .

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:05 am

Enjoy your lovely new horse, Demi! It surely is a learning experience getting to know a new one.

Heddy! Congrstulations on the house sale. Good luck with the Big Move!

We worked on improving our canter, by cantering. There's a concept.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:03 pm

great update, demi! Some stretches at home before and after you ride or days you don't ride might also help your hips adjust! Also not sure what your saddle situation is but a narrow twist can make a world of difference on a wide horse. I like wide twists on my narrow horses and narrow twists on my wide horses!

this weekend is the Jeremey Steinberg clinic. It's one of those glamour GMO clinics where the expectation is that you and horse look very tidy. Good news is that I have early ride times both days (8:45), so I can beat the heat and beat the crowd. I'm a little unsure about what to expect about the stabling---there was no mention of whether shavings were included, but surely they will be if they didn;t say otherwise? Anyway, we arrive friday afternoon so we cans scope it out. Feeling nervous and excited.

in less great news, humiditty and heat haave suddenly picked up and MM's breathing is struggling. I know adjusting to the summer weather is the hardest part so I am going to give her a week or so before I stress about readjusting her medicine amounts.

The trailer I put deposit on in february, that was supposed to come in April is still not here, so I am also getting a bit frustrated with that.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:03 pm

Demi great update! Can’t wait for more video of your lovely Iberian mare:)

Heddy that’s great on the house selling so quick. It’s a crazy market right now. Good luck on the move!

Blob is the clinic at Shannondale? I hope it goes well! So sorry that MM is not handling the heat and humidity well. It’s definitely been brutal here lately. Grr on the horse trailer! Another commodity that has skyrocketed in price these days!

Mountaineer yep I too am embracing the canter more so we get better at it training. It’s working! Not always pretty when Joplin and I get our wires crossed but we are figuring it out.

On the canter front I had an interesting ride yesterday on Gaila. I’ve written about her getting hot and full of herself US but I don’t think I’ve talked about how she rides differently bareback. Well I’ve ridden Gaila bareback a good bit and she very fun and more relaxed but I did not canter her without the saddle. For a long time she was just too round to feel safe to do so but she’s changed and lost some pudge and I wanted to try it out see how she went. I cantered her bareback for the first time ever yesterday and the canter was so nice! Very up and engaged not strong and trying to take over. Now I’ve ridden her in both my dynamic and my Vinici with similar findings of hot strong once we cantered. Something to do with a saddle because she was nothing like that yesterday bare back. Weird. Looking at a leather tree baroque saddle wondering if that would be better for her. I’ve wanted one for awhile anyway:). Because hey I have an Iberian and like to play with WE:). Good excuse as any lol! Thoughts? Anyone had similar issue? My holistic vet is coming Monday to do chiro and acupuncture so I’ll get her thoughts as well. Just odd

Anyway stay cool and happy riding all!!

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:31 pm

Khall--very interesting about Gaila! when you ride her bareback do you ride with a pad or nothing? Asking because if you ride with nothing i wonder if it could also be girth related. I have a friend who's old horse needed a very cut back girth otherwise his elbow and girth had enough interference that it really bothered him. He was an iberian, but I can't remember now if he was crossed with something or not.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:24 pm

Gulp. I've just said yes to two rides with Mette next weekend...

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:52 pm

Congrats on the house sale, Heddylamar. Good luck on the long journey.I hope you like Texas!

Blob, I’m excited for your clinic! I hope we get some pics. I really like watching vids of JS riding. His position and harmony with the horse remind me of some of the Spanish Riding School riders, like Ernst Hoyos. Very athletic and precise, and very beautiful. JS will like you and RP. I’ve only seen stills of you on him, but with the test scores you get I’ll bet your rides are impressive!

I had another lesson on Besa today. I am getting the feeling that my trainer is really going to bat for us. The lessons are better each time in that I feel like I am REALLY riding, if that makes sense. Today we worked on suppling the mare, and to do so, I had to put her on the outside rein and keep her there. Trainer told me exactly how to do it, and then corrected my the very instant that I started to lose it. Besa felt lovely! I was able to let my legs down long and relaxed, and use my core to keep my seatbones plugged in.

We worked out a lesson schedule which seems more advantageous than 3 lessons a week, (one every other day), with me riding on my own the other 2 days. So going forward, I’m going to take 5 lessons a week and she’s going to warm Besa up before I ride.

I have no idea if Besa’s saddle is a wide or narrow twist. It’s a Hulsebos like Rocky’s and the saddle maker himself comes twice a year to adjust them. I’ll check when he comes again.

Man, Khall, you were absolutely right about Iberian horses be special!!

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:59 am

Wow that is awesome you will be able to do so many lessons a week Demi!! Mark told me when I went Iberian I would never go back to WBs and boy was he right! They are addicting.

Blob I do both ride with a pad with dressage girth and naked. Though I cantered using no pad for a bit of security that’s the way I’m most used to riding without a saddle. Only one time did she get a bit hot just trotting but it was with the pad. I do use an anatomic girth because she has had issues with different girths in the past. I’m going to ride her a few more times no pad in canter then put the pad on see if she has any issues. I’m also going to see about that leather trees saddle. I ride her dam Gallie a year bare back trying to find a saddle. She was always a blast to ride bare back

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:38 am

I had an interesting ride today. Kyra was on turn out when I got there. I hiked up the hill to find her totally lathered on her neck and chest and of course really dirty because she rolled. I do not know why she loses her sh*# when the foal is out. The BO said she was just standing there until she turned out the mare and foal. She has seen the filly several times and each time she just loses it :roll: . Anyway, I was going to hose her down but the wash rack hose was in use so I just took her to her stall and boy was she hot. Her back wasn't sweaty so I brushed the best I could and saddled her up.

The first 15 minutes she was still running on adrenalin. She wasn't horrible just little relaxation and a quick tempo. After about 15 minutes of cool down (she was hot, so yes, I was cooling her down) the adrenalin wore off and she told me "I'm tired". So sorry my dear, that is your problem. We did a bit more work...it wasn't hard. Basic w/t/c. She did finally get to the point that her back was swinging some so I stopped there. I did hose her down post ride and let her roll...She was happy though (foal was back inside). I think most of the dirt will fall off by tomorrow. It is supposed to rain again this weekend. Hopefully we don't get another inch.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:57 am

Susan I had a mare who would jump fences and attempt to steal foals. Does she want it or does she think it's an intruder?

I enjered Caliburn in his first show at second level. I get to try my fancy new colors and my favorite ( dripping sarcasm) level test.

Of course today my hip is so sore I can barely walk so I can only hope to ride his big motion sufficiently.

I am riding against my own student and she should score higher than I do. It will be interesting.

Have a great weekend everyone

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:20 am

Love the photos and updates. And Kyra is beautiful! I don't think Emi has run around that much in turnout in about 9 years :lol:

Look forward to the clinic reports from everyone. Hope you really enjoy your rides with Jeremy, Blob! Remember that he is not a snob at all.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:16 pm

I’ve ridden Maia several days in a row again :D And we have a signed lease in Texas!

Yesterday’s ride was entertaining. After I took case of all her itchy spots, Maia was nearly comatose tacking up. Then we went outside, the head went up, and my sleepy mare suddenly resembled a giraffe on speed :lol: I did a whole lot more groundwork than normal, then told the BO to think good thoughts!

Maia was a bit light on her feet, but we had the best trot work — including shoulder-in and extensions. She was a bit too responsive and eager for decent canter work, and gave me multiple voluntary flying lead changes … I try not to encourage her to play , but I couldn’t help laughing. Goofy mare!

I ordered a new pair of lightweight summer breeches — FitsT4 knee patch riding tights. The fabric seems decent, but not a fan of the waistband or fit. They were described as low/mid rise and come up to my bra strap. Light compression is amusing — the smalls were baggy. And the “wide” is one of those badly designed waist bands with a single narrow band of elastic. The knee patch was exactly what I like — one of those soft fabric patches, with nearly no stick.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:31 pm

Glad you and Maia survived and you have a lease, Heddy! Change is hard, but can be rewarding once we get through a bit of it. Wishing you all the best.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:28 am

Chisamba, I don’t think she wants the foal…she has never been bred not that hormones couldn’t make her do weird things. She just seems to not be able to work out that it is a baby horse aka alien intruder. She isn’t nearly as worked up by the deer in the neighborhood that wander through the arena next to where she is working :roll: .

Heddy, glad things are clicking along. I know what you mean about goofy mares.

Everyone that is clinicing and showing…good luck and enjoy.

I think I am going to haul Kyra to the vet, despite it using a lot of gas :P . I did top off the tank yesterday with it only being 1/4 gone…before gas went up anymore.

The hematoma on her leg seemed stable. Cold, softening up and improving until her two crazy tears around the turn out in response to the foal. The hematoma is back to being very firm and warm. I long reined her today and she looked just a bit off to me at trot. She wasn’t wanting to carry herself, preferring to go on the forehand with her head down.

Add that to the fact that despite a couple nice rides with the Fager bit, she is back to being just horribly busy with the bit. Her tongue is going all the time and the foaming is back. Today I experimented with tightening the noseband (PS of Sweden anatomical) which I hate to do but it seemed to make little difference. Then I completely loosened it…she was about 2x worse (mouth gaping more because she could). I am going to have them re-check her teeth. If they declare them OK, I think she is going back into the bit-less bridle for good. She is too nice a horse to torture her anymore and my credit card card can’t take it (ordering more bits). Physically, I can’t really show past 1st because I can’t sit the trot for long enough so I would guess our showing days are over so not really a big deal. It has been very difficult to fit bits on her and has been a lifetime issue. She has gotten fussier even in the bits she has seemed more comfortable in for years? We will start with this and see what the verdict is.

Susan

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:27 pm

New foals can get even the calmest of horses acting nuts. It’s always interesting seeing their reactions when I would have a new baby on the ground. Even the calmest of geldings can become raging lunatics.

Chisamba good luck on the show!

Blob I hope your clinic went well. Eagerly awaiting your clinic notes.

Heddy glad the trip was good and you are back in the saddle.

Kyra’s mom as you know Karen R rides bitless on several of hers. She does a nice job with her horses. If Kyra is happier bitless don’t blame you for going back to it. Jingles she will be ok with her hematoma.

I’m riding a good bit prepping for upcoming Cedar clinic. Continuing my canter saga and doing more piaffe US with both horses. Joplin is just a joy as usual:).

Biggest news is Juliet’s owner is searching for a second horse. Juliet is going blind in that right eye. Her riding career is over. I’m sure she will play with her on the ground some but it is not easy lunging a horse blind in one eye. In hand she should be fine though. A friend local has a cute rescue gelding that she is going to look at. 15.3 grey seems sweet. Cross your fingers!!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and happpy riding all!!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:15 pm

Blob- Can't wait to hear what you thought of riding with Jeremy.

khall - Fingers crossed that is a better match for her.

Heddy congrats on getting a place!

Lots of boxes checked yesterday! Back in the real deal show ring after a number of years and Kora's first. We managed to stay in the ring, not fall off and do all the things in the test in a recognizable manner. I would consider that a major success but we also nabbed our first qualifying score for Regionals of 63.750%. Woo!!

We just hauled in for the day and this is a new venue for the both of us so her eyes were a bit on stalks when we arrived but she settled because there was grass. 5 show arenas and as many warmups as you can imagine the place was hopping with horses, riders, spectators and all sorts goings on. Warmed up nicely after calling out a few times then settling and my trainer was there to hold my hand. I had forgotten the hilarity of show warmups. There is inevitably the one rider who stakes out a 20/30 meter circle on the track near their trainer, the rider who seems offended when you call inside/outside to be polite and a small lady on an impossibly large moose of a horse galumping around.

Anyways I'll give quick highlights/lowlights of the test itself. Highlights: Rocked both centerlines with square halts, was not afraid of judges booth, was responsive to half halts and rideable enough to respect a touch with whip in leg yield to move over haunches. Lowlights: Lost some trot forward-ness, canter transition got a big mare no (lol, see picture. I did get her forward and cantered from almost walk so only one score blipped by it), and my stock tie unvelcro'd from my neck and was flapping in my face halfway through but we soldiered on!

We'll be doing our homework on the free walk/medium walk/trot to canter @A transition for the next two weeks and ready to improve on a good first effort.

signal-2022-06-05-170420_002.jpg
signal-2022-06-05-170420_002.jpg (135.47 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
signal-2022-06-05-170420_001.jpg
signal-2022-06-05-170420_001.jpg (188.97 KiB) Viewed 6646 times
signal-2022-06-05-170420_003.jpg
signal-2022-06-05-170420_003.jpg (151.02 KiB) Viewed 6646 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:36 pm

I survived Caliburn's first second level test in a show. He was a gem about standing tied to the trailer while I worked with my friends, but I needed ten minutes more warm up. He was not relaxed and it showed. He gave me nice transitions and I am happy with his effort. We scored 63.9 and a second place. My friend beat me so I was happy.
Attachments
Medium canter_Gallery_240x319.jpg
Our medium was OK. Our transition to collection could use improvement
Medium canter_Gallery_240x319.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
Halt_240x332.jpg
We got our only 9
Halt_240x332.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 6640 times

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:19 am

Chisamba he looks so regal in the halt pic!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:00 pm

Congrats Chisamba and Aleuronx! Getting in and out of the ring at the scheduled times is always a victory in itself imo ;) Great pics too.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:33 pm

Congrats Aleuronx and Chisamba--great pictures and some great results.

Here are clinic notes:

JS didn't want anyone to really focus on relaxation--relaxation can go away too easily and isn't tangible

There's a big difference between connection and contact. You can force or take up contact whenever, but connection comes from the whole body and comes from work

He talked a lot about the conformation and resulting challenges for the horses being ridden. This part was interesting, but I also wonder if some people didn't feel leaving discouraged by some of these comments. They were not meant to be that, I'm sure, but some did feel a bit harsh and limiting, which yes, most of us have horses with some physical limitations but I do think some of the comments didn't feel productive.

In general he said with most horses it's better to err on being above the bit than the opposite. There was one young horse who wanted to go with a lower, longer frame. The poll was low, but it was open. He wanted her much much higher and had the rider ride her essentially above the the bit even though she was inverted often, the idea was that the work liek that would eventually come to a correct and better frame.

You don't want the topline to feel too loose and moveable. When the horse is moving correctly over the back, it will feel solid.

Some horses are going to get better connected through transitions, others through continuous work within a gait.

Make sure you're not pushing the front legs away from the back legs and instead are pushing the hind legs under the horse--this came out esp for the iberian horses and a fresian x that had big shoulder movement.

I think in general, I would say that for me he was maybe a better auditing experience than riding experience. He talks and explains things a lot, which is great, esp when you're auditing. But as a result, both my rides were much lighter than normal. At times we had long walk breaks while we talked about theory and at other times I was riding, doing work, but he was talking about theory rather than instructing me in the moment. I think for some this is probably a great style, but I did feel like I did less riding than I do on an average ride.

My first day with RP was not good and I must say i'm a bit disappointed. He watched us go around and was happy with our warm up but felt that RP does not really sit and doesn't really tilt his pelvis under--I agree! So he had me work on trot-halt transitions but without any real half halt coming into the halt and to go for almost a sliding stop feeling. (he did this same exercise with another horse who tended to get heavy). He always wanted me to really sit into RP's back in the trot and use frequent touches of the whip to get him thinking about his hind end. Unfortunately with a sensitive horse like RP, all that whip work paired with abrupt transitions got him really worked up. His back dropped more and more through the work, he got very behind the vertical and was chomping, and lost purity of gait at the trot completely and by the time we got to canter he was so worked up he couldn't hold a lead. I don't mind trying something new in a clinic and I understand that sometimes things must get worse before they get better. But unfortunately we didn't get to the better in this ride and I'm not sure we would have. I understand that the idea was correct, but with a horse as sensitive as he is, I think the approach wasn't the right one and I wish I had said something. But I also wanted to be willing to try something even if it put us outside our comfort zone. This is the type of work that would have been great with MM and worked really well with the horse that had a tendency to get heavy.

The second day was a lot better, we worked on trot and canter, but long sets of trot and shorter sets of canter and then frequent walk breaks and then picking back up. He wanted RP's poll really up in the canter. Like the last clinician, he also wanted me to keep the same mouth feel even if RP changed where he was--so keep the contact steady rather than keep the hand steady. But he had me doing this by lifting the hand. We had some really nice work on day two and RP was a bit anxious but overall it was a much more productive ride and beneficial session. I do sort of wish that day two had been our day one and I do think it could have been, because it didn't build really one day one, it just took a different approach.

the conformation conversation he had for RP was very interesting as well. He talked about how RP has a femur that is really angled in, the way it is in some QHs (what gives them the ability to do those sliding stops so well). So, in the canter, RP's inside hind comes way under his body, almost hits his front leg and takes on a lot of weight, but he doesn't really have the strength for that. If he was in a long frame like a hunter, he would be ok because it would take some of the weight off the inside hind, but if I keep him in more of a dressage frame, he's going to need a lot more hind end strength to really get a quality canter, otherwise he's either going to swap behind or get lateral. He does have space up front with his shoulder (not a low shoulder), so I should be able to get jump in the canter. but that I will always be challenged by how far under he wants to come naturally. With sport-bred warmbloods, he says that typically the hind leg only comes under like that when they're also strong and balanced and pushing with the outside hind correctly and so that's seen as a good thing, whereas with us it's a challenge. He also talked about how despite the inside hind coming way under in the canter, the hind legs do not come as under in the trot and that's because of the pelvis angle and lumbar, so that's another thing I'll have to work on, building up back strength so that he can come under in the trot.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:20 pm

Blob, great clinic notes! Interesting that he has people going more above the bit than below.I’ve been testing both sides of the coin lately as we had to take Tesla deep to get her to let go and move forward, while my new instructor is asking me to bring Annbelle’s poll up quite a bit. The hind leg/canter thing is interesting to me too, since Tesla seems to get lateral and swap leads in back

It also sounds like he gave you some useful insight on how RP uses himself, which wouldn’t have happened if you were auditing. Sorry the first day was frustrating, but maybe it had to happen so Jeremy could see that a different approach was needed the next day?

Chisamba and Aleuronx, great show pics, and well done! Our dressage festival was this weekend and it sounds like it was partly rained out again. That takes away a little from the disappointment of not getting there again this year. Instead, I drove to Billings, MT for work yesterday and will be here all week, so the girls will get several days off. Tesla keeps on improving; Saturday we started cantering over some ground poles (just single poles). I need to see if there’s any way my jumping saddle can fit her wide load as I can’t really spring for another saddle right now. I tried some low jumps with Annabelle on Saturday but she just wasn’t into it; not sure if she’s still sore, or if it was just the day. I have an appt. with a vet for chiro when I get back, so I’ll get her opinion. I haven’t worked with this vet before, but she seems to be one to go deep and look at a lot of different angles on issues, and also does acupuncture.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:57 pm

I have often felt that JS does the clinic more to the value of the auditor than the rider. It's almost a demo rider like feel to watching his work. I have not ridden with him when opportunities arise only for that reason.

I do enjoy the notes and perspective.

The cynical me thinks that they have all the right sound bites.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:19 pm

SF, for sure I definitely got stuff out of it and I'm glad I rode and didn't just audit for the experience. I do think crave a bit more the actual riding and less conversation when I'm riding. So in future, I would definitely audit again, i'm not sure I would ride again.

Yes, Chisamba, it did feel a bit like a symposium discussion with the riders acting as examples more than a lesson. And I think some riders are probably better at leveraging that kind of a session.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:32 pm

blob-- great notes despite a less-than-thrilling experience. The relaxation point is an interesting one to me-- I can see that approach being fairly valuable for the energy-conscious horse, but my experience with my mare at a JS clinic several years ago had me regretting the loss of her hard-won relaxation. Took us many rides to get back to where we had started. Auditors did get a good session but I felt a bit short-changed.

I will say that a clinician that was rather spendy but worth it was Anne Gribbons. I've never seen someone "read" new horses/riders so well so quickly-- she was able to diagnose not just strengths/weaknesses of the work, but also how far to push each pair without burning out horse or rider. I was really impressed and got a lot out of it.

Fabulous show results and pictures, Aleuronx and Chisamba! Congratulations on successful outings. Lots of active hind legs in all of your pictures!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:blob-- great notes despite a less-than-thrilling experience. The relaxation point is an interesting one to me-- I can see that approach being fairly valuable for the energy-conscious horse, but my experience with my mare at a JS clinic several years ago had me regretting the loss of her hard-won relaxation. Took us many rides to get back to where we had started. Auditors did get a good session but I felt a bit short-changed.

this is interesting! and I can definitely see that and relate to that experience. The way he talked about it was that relaxation isn't tangible and is fleeting. You can spend 20 minutes getting a horse relaxed and then in a blink of an eye it can be gone. I understand that idea, but it was a place I didn't totally agree. Because yes, relaxation can go away in a blink, but if you and your horse have a relationship where he/she trusts that you can provide a calm, stress-free space for them and that you know how to get their relaxation then you can get it back. I know a handful of things that can help RP relax and I can use them to quickly get his brain and body back if he gets overworked. And I understand that maybe that isn't the most important thing for his physical development, but I think for his trust in me and the work it goes a long way.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:48 pm

Ponichiwa, Anne Gribbons is here next weekend. $400 a ride...

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:39 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Ponichiwa, Anne Gribbons is here next weekend. $400 a ride...

Ouch. I rode with her (several) years ago on my FEI-almost-GP horse and got a ton out of it... but that's a too-rich-for-my-blood fee for where I am (firmly somewhere between 2nd-3rd) with Queso, for sure.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:29 pm

Aleuronx…good job. I like the “finger” picture. Chisamba…I cannot believe the change in that horse. A testament to proper work.

Blob, thanks for the clinic notes. Very interesting. It sounds like you got some good insight despite the frustrating lesson.

I got Kyra a vet appointment for next Monday so I am in a holding pattern. I will do some tack walking. I don’t want to do much more to aggravate the goose egg. It seems that any concussive exercise makes it bigger so we will just walk for now. I asked to BO to only turn her out in the smaller paddocks and preferably not when the foal is out and about if she can. The BO loaned me her ice boot so it got iced yesterday and I am going to take an ice pack out today. I am avoiding bute as there is no generalized swelling right now and even though her appointment isn’t for a week, I don’t want to mask anything. She is only very slightly off at trot so I don’t think it hurts her that bad. Since the lump first appeared in December and hasn’t gone away and is in fact worse, time to get it checked out. That gives me some time to check the trailer out since I haven’t hauled since she moved last November.

Susan

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:16 pm

Good notes on the clinic, Blob. Sorry the first day was frustrating, and also that the whole thing was more of a demo ride/symposium. I also like a clinic where I feel I’ve done some work, so I would be frustrated with JS, I think. I get so taken by how well a particular clinician rides, that I forget that not all lovely riders are good teachers. You have a good attitude about the whole thing by taking away the good while not letting the bad get to you. I, on the other hand, am POed that JS didnt give you and RP two great rides! Irregardless, Im glad you came away with some helpful info. :)

Nice show reports, Aleuronx and Chisamba. Thanks for sharing your reports and pics! Aleuronx, what test(s) did you ride?

Susan, good luck with the trip to the vet. Hope it has a positive outcome. You had mentioned going back to bitless, and if that works for her, good. I am wondering, though, that she was doing well with a bit, and maybe the other things (foal, leg, etc.) just set her back temporarily. Im not against bitless by any means, but can you do the Century Ride bitless?

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:52 pm

Im starting my second week of 5 lessons a week on Besa. Trainer warmed her up today as last Friday, and then I got on. Trainer had to tend some other business for a few minutes right after I got on and so I let Besa relax a little on a long rein, but not on the buckle. WRONG!! When trainer came back she chastised me for letting her off the contact. She said “when I give you a warmed up horse, it is ready to go to work!! You’re teaching her that she doesn’t have to work when you are on her!” (Not her exact words, but something to that effect.) She made it pretty clear that I need to get with the FEI horse program. This will be an adjustment for me but I am committed to doing it her way. It seems like we are working the horse very hard, but maybe that’s just becusae I am an amateur that has ridden by myself for most of my life. I will monitor Besa carefully so we don’t overwork her. She seemed very content after the lesson today, gently asking me for treats, and thoroughly enjoying her bath and grooming.

We had a great lesson after all. We worked on suppleing her on the inside rein and NOT letting her off the outside rein.Some legyeilding, some renvers to HI on the quarterline, some SI to HI, some T-W transitions , and some W-halt trans, and THEN walk to canter and real collected canter. It was so exciting to do the real collected canter on a trained FEI horse. It took a lot of core strength and I wasn’t use to it, but it still felt wonderful. After the lesson I had jelly legs! But I cant wait till tomorrow.

The weather is heating up, with temps forecast in the 100’s all week. I will have to be on Rocky by 7 am to get her done and make it to my lesson on Besa at 9. Rocky is quite interesting to ride, too, after my experiences with Besa.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:16 am

Interesting report Blob, I hope you can secure some of the good from the experience. I would say it was similar to my lesson with him last fall, lots of talking and analogies but less doing, although the pieces we did do had a positive effect on the horse. But that was just a small private farm type clinic and not one of these big put on affairs. I realize that can change the dynamic somewhat.

I had to put the sass photo in as I do a good mare even if they can be a madame at times. We rode 1st 3 demi. I’ll just be rocking that this season. It’s nice to get back into showing with something she is fully capable of pulling off and excelling at, isn’t that what they say to do, show a level below what you are training? I’ve never had the patience for it but it’s nice to step our toes back in that way.

lol demi, I’ve gotten that as well after a warm-up to not let her wander about. Not all rides have to have a strong purpose but you’re paying for those lessons to improve so it’s nice to hear your trainer is giving your money’s worth.

Sent in entry for 1st show in July and contemplating what day/s to do the other option. Between work and life I don’t see us doing an overnight besides Regionals so trying to be mindful of when and where we are trucking around to.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:01 am

[quote="demi”]

Susan, good luck with the trip to the vet. Hope it has a positive outcome. You had mentioned going back to bitless, and if that works for her, good. I am wondering, though, that she was doing well with a bit, and maybe the other things (foal, leg, etc.) just set her back temporarily. Im not against bitless by any means, but can you do the Century Ride bitless?[/quote]

I can control her just fine in a bitless but I just don’t have the finesse with it. I like the bit for inducing her to pick up her shoulders which allows her hind end to come through. Over the years I have ridden her in the bitless a lot and always returned to the bit if I could. She just likes to hang on the bitless . I don’t like the heaviness and with my older and somewhat arthritic hands, it is hard to maintain. Like I said above, I am not going to torture her if the bit has her that uncomfortable we will just have keep working on “lightness” without the bit. I don’t know about the Century ride but I can probably get away with a ride or two in a bit.

Today, I did walking only to avoid concussion on her goose egg and I worked on picking up the reins and convincing her she can come round without me using a lot of hand with lots of leg support. It wasn’t bad…I was able to do LY, SI, HI and half pass with some semblance of “on the bit” without the bit. She still wanted to go low and lean a bit but we will keep working on getting a bit lighter carriage.

We just have to wait a week and see what the vet says for both the leg and the mouth.

Susan

Return to “Dressage Training”