The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

Postby Josette » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:42 pm

Demi - so sorry to hear about DH and stroke. Been there with family members too. Dedicated rehab is very beneficial - sending your DH healing wishes for his recovery.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:06 pm

oh no, Demi, so sorry. Thank you for the update. Thinking of you and DH and so glad to hear prognosis is good for the long term.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:09 pm

Many jingles for your DH, Demi! Glad there is a good prognosis, and Besa is in good hands so you don't have to worry about that.

First jumping lesson on A since last year, we are doing so much better cantering to the fences. My headset went out midway through, so I probably missed some instruction. I need to find the point of riding forward to the jumps but not letting her get flat.

Just for fun I popped the jump saddle on T and did a quick ride. I think she was a little confused by the changed balance vs. the dressage saddle, so canter was a mess, but she was generally willing. It will be awhile before I am ready to jump her though!
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 pm

Echoing above: thinking of you and your DH, demi, and sending best wishes and jingles your way. You've got a good barn and a good program, so at least one stress is off you.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:14 pm

I'm sorry Demi. That's a Big Thing. Sending your DH best wishes for a full recovery, and to you, strength and patience.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:23 pm

I did not ride today. I have a couple of big work projects I'm working on that actually pay for the ponies, the barn is apparently an even bigger mess today than it was yesterday, and trainer is out.

I have a lot of sympathy for her--her husband had a major heart attack on Saturday and had to be life-flighted down the canyon. He's doing pretty well and is actually back home already, but it was a bad scare for everyone.

(Takeaway... If you've got terrible ongoing heartburn that seems to be creeping up your neck, don't leave it 14 hours before you go into the clinic. Especially if you have a history of congestive heart disease.)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:59 pm

Lots of jingles to Mr. Demi and to you, Demi! What a week.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:16 pm

Demi jingles for you and your DH!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:46 pm

Oh Demi! Jingles and best health wishes to your DH! Take care of yourself during this stressful time.

The same Mountaineer for your trainer and her DH.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:16 am

oh no~ sending jingles! Keep us posted Demi

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:53 am

demi, take care and tell DH many jingles coming his way (that may need explanation :D ).

Mountaineer, sounds like a good time to concentrate on work. It will work out fine. Rides when so much is going on are kind of iffy and if Potters is like my horse, you are better off not to ride if there is much (negative) tension in the picture.

I have kind of been trying for every-other-day riding. I do not like and don’t tolerate the hot weather very well and the current barn is down in a gully and it can really bake. Of course, I try to get there early but getting Mom set up so she can be alone for a bit and other stuff I putter around with before I go and damned by the time I get there it is already HOT (5-7 degrees warmer at the barn). We actually had a bit of a break yesterday with only a high of 90 and it finally cooled off at night.

I had a very nice ride. I usually boot (hoof boots) Kyra on all 4. However, we are nearing 5 weeks since the last trim and the left front boot just doesn’t want to go on and her trim isn’t until next Monday. Sooo…, I only put the back boots on today as she does drag her hind toes just a bit but enough to wear them excessively without the boots in the dry sand. I wasn’t sure what that would give us as I usually believe in balance…none or all 4. She was fine so no worries there. Actually more than fine. I have been getting some really nice rides and feel like training is finally advancing. I have been working trot/canter/trot transitions in our warmup. SF sent me an article from Jec Ballou on using that to strengthen the hind end. I have been doing 4 - 6 transitions each way. In that article, Jec mentions to not go for perfect form but rather the prompt transitions. Kyra has gotten better carriage so as she is getting stronger, the ‘form’ is taking care of itself. Except today…she was in canter mode so rather than having 5-6 strides of each, I got 2 trot steps then right back to canter. Silly me…she does think for herself and is sure she knows what I want. I asked for some canter lengthening and got it. I finished up working on walk/canter/walk. Walk—>canter was lovely. Canter—>walk is coming but not quite the floating to the ground like a feather feel. We were in one of the little arenas (approx 30m x 30m) and I didn’t try to work CC.
While in canter I asked for some counter bend and getting her to allow me to position her head and neck without changing her body balance. It just depends but if she progresses as nicely as she has been doing, I would like to play with flying changes this fall if it isn’t crazy to try and be teaching a 20yo FC. She definitely needs more fitness but is not struggling with the work at all right now. We finished with our loop up the hill. My trail riding buddy will be back later in the week so hopefully we can give the big hill another go. That will strengthen her hiney up in a hurry.

Susan

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:17 am

Oh no Demi, so sorry to hear that, and adding my jingles. I'm following along here but not riding at the moment. We're preparing for a move from the north end of the South Island to the south... about 1000km. It's a bit of a mission, but we're looking forward to an awesome location with easy access to beach riding only 600m from our new place.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:00 pm

Late reading this; but most definitely sending jingles for a seamless rehab and recovery for you DH and you, demi. I've gone through strokes of different types with both of my parents. My father's was a brain bleed that required surgery. His occupational rehab took a year, but he came out the other side almost completely clear of residual damage, only noticeable by family members. He lived another 10 years before he started having TIAs. I cannot emphasize how critical his PT and occupational training was and those who took part in that were angels. My mother suffered a series of three strokes when my father was in hospice. They have affected mostly her memory and caused slight weakness on her right side which also recovered with PT. That was 4 years ago. Her check ups since then have shown no progression (cognitive deterioration) now that her atrial fibrillation is under control with medication though her cardiologist has us considering surgery for her to address this issue.

Take care of yourself. It's awesome that you have the network to care for your horses and that your DH has a good prognosis. As one who has been a long time 'caregiver' to my parents, such conditions are taxing on all involved. Sometimes the stress catches up on you when you least expect it; but I will also add that having the horses has helped me more than anything else.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:41 pm

Thanks so much everyone for your good wishes. It’s an emotional support for me. Exvet, hearing about your dad was especially encouraging. It gives me an idea that the rehab could be very long, but it’s worth it. The doctors say that DH should regain all his cognitive ability but will have weakness of the right arm and leg. Probably won’t be able to ride anymore, but he’ll be happy just being around the horses. He is having a very hard time talking but it isn’t the typical aphasia. His brain is working well, with the exception of lapses from ICU delerium, but his mouth isnt working because of the weakness on the right side. He is a type AAA! personality and right now, just getting over the hump is so hard on him. I hate to see him like this.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:29 pm

Demi. Jingles to you and Mr Demi. When I taught riders with disabilities I had a stroke patient who did very well, so don't give up hope on the horse.

As with everyone is been hot. Those of you who show in hot comes do you use electrolytes?
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:34 pm

Chisamba - off topic - in this extreme hot weather this is my go to drink that helps me when I get dizzy. Gator aide makes me sick.
Bai Coconut Flavored Water, Molokai Coconut, Antioxidant Infused Drinks, 18 Fluid Ounce Bottles, (Pack of 12)

370mg K+

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:20 pm

For the horses or ourselves? I don’t use electrolytes for the horses. Though I do give salt daily 1-2 tbs. For myself I do use electrolytes regularly. Sometimes Gatorade/power aide more often though one Cedar recommended that you add to water. Has no sugar in it

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:22 am

demi wrote:Thanks so much everyone for your good wishes. It’s an emotional support for me. Exvet, hearing about your dad was especially encouraging. It gives me an idea that the rehab could be very long, but it’s worth it. The doctors say that DH should regain all his cognitive ability but will have weakness of the right arm and leg. Probably won’t be able to ride anymore, but he’ll be happy just being around the horses. He is having a very hard time talking but it isn’t the typical aphasia. His brain is working well, with the exception of lapses from ICU delerium, but his mouth isnt working because of the weakness on the right side. He is a type AAA! personality and right now, just getting over the hump is so hard on him. I hate to see him like this.

The horses were a huge stress-reliever and 'therapy' program given an A+ from my Dad right up until he went into hospice. He rode as a kid but other than one time on a large pony that had run away with me, my father never rode as an adult. Still growing up on a dairy farm with an active sawmill (he hitched horses and took them to field and to the woods usually riding them to and fro) he was a horse lover through and through. To be honest having to deal with loss of cognition with both of my parents, the loss of physical strength was nowhere near as frustrating as not being able to remember things or not being able to effectively communicate. Occupational therapy for both, have/did give them tools that really helped them cope and me reasonable ways to help them with the same. Good luck to you both. Sounds like recovery will be a given, it's just the time it takes might not be so easy to nail down.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:52 am

Sending all the good thoughts to you and your DH, Demi. I hope he continues to improve.

Maia's on a daily electrolyte at the new barn's vet's recommendation. She's not loving it and has gone off her feed — sort of amusing circumstances for the girl who hoovers her cereal — so I'm switching to a different smartpack electrolyte next month. Honestly, I'm not sure she needs the electrolytes — she's a great sweater, drinks a ton of water, and is handling the TX heat like a pro.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:16 am

Sending lots of good wishes your way Demi <3

I am mostly back to functional riding after my thumb injury. It was good for my horse to be ridden by my instructor for a few weeks. She is a lot less lenient than I am, and especially the sideways buttons feel very ... refreshed :D
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:03 pm

Demi, I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you. If good vibes can help, you have a lot from this board

Chisamba, once I hit menopause, I can't tolerate the heat anymore. After having an elevated heartbeart for about ten hours after a show once where it wasn't even that hot and getting a thorough checkup, I just have to be careful. It is cooler than normal here right now, thankfully, and looks like a cooler summer (so the horse's coats tell me) but if it's warm at all and I don't drink lot of basically Gatorade, I get nauseaus and weak. I buy generic gatorade powder. There is also sugar free you can buy or make. Last year's championships was about 95 every day, thankfully not bad with smoke (the northern champs are nearish Lake Tahoe, and this was just after that massive fire there, so we got lucky) and i was riding four FEI rides a day, and I basically chugged G and protein powder all day long. I did OK. If it's warm at all and I am doing any kind of sweaty work, let alone riding, I always have some with me.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:42 pm

Demi, echoing all here with good wishes to the DH and you.

Horse wise- Kora gets an electrolyte powder added to her feed as she is a keen drinker at home and not so much when traveling. I blame the automatic waterer in her turnout as it comes out fresh like a fountain so anything from a bucket is meh to her. I also have paste electrolyte in my travel horse first aid kit.

Human wise- Gatorade if that's your jam but I've been leaning on my runner friends as the technology for electrolyte mixes and snacks is quite good. I have an arsenal of snacks that replenish without making me feeling nauseated during riding/competing. For me it's the mix of hydration and energy replacement that key in keeping the heat stress headache away.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:04 pm

I have never had to use electrolytes…maybe because I don’t stay out any longer than I have to. Boarding and having just one horse helps in that endeavor. I try for sure to stay hydrated with water.

Well, I have been having nice rides but today was a bit of a clinker :P . Not entirely but I lost her attention and never got it back all the way. Warm-up was good. In fact, in my trot warm-up I actually kind of went huh? She was giving me a very nice trot with suspension and schwung. Then the deer wandered into the picture. A doe with 2 fawns were in the bushes about 20 yards from the arena. They would go down in the willows then pop back out. She didn’t do anything but look but for the rest of the session her radar was at about DEFCON 2 . Mama doe came back up and I was able to convince her to go in the other direction and the 2 kids finally followed. I am sure it didn’t help that I was SURE they would too. Then it didn’t help that the 2 horses in the other arena left, leaving her alone with the killer deer (in her head). I did finally get a big sigh from her and was able to get her to reach down and stretch in walk and I called it good. We did do our loop up the hill and managed to hold it together. She had a good workout, exercise wise. She hasn’t even been breaking a sweat on her shoulders…only wet under tack. I think I will skip tomorrow…it is supposed to be windy and she is most definitely not a wind horse. It is supposed to be a bit cooler over the weekend (mid 90’s) then back up to the 100’s next week.
More heat to survive…blech.
Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:06 pm

It's not going to. Be ghastly. Only 92. But there is a significant humidity index. I'm bringing ice boots for Saiph and propel for me and if I feel either of us is in medical danger I can scratch

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:07 pm

Aleuronx do you mind sharing your snacks you go to? Deal with high humidity and heat pretty much daily here in Georgia and yeah you get nauseated eating. Our dew point is consistently staying in the mid 70’s. Hard to get motivated right now. Eagerly waiting on our beach trip in 2 weeks:)

I did sign up for Jec Balou stifle conditioning program she has. Joplin’s right stifle can be sticky. There’s some interesting body work she has you do. It’s a 4 week program. I’m also lunging over caveletti once a week and want to incorporate lunging over jumps. Not only are we extremely humid but t storms and heavy rain have been a regular occurrence making everything more difficult

PPE Monday for my boarder’s new horse. Cross your fingers vet does not find anything! Too cute! Palimino 14.1 hh pony ridden by kids. Wry willing little guy.

Covid is also raising its ugly head. DH had it DS had it. How I’ve missed it I don’t know. 30% positivity rate in Georgia.

Good luck chisamba!! Jingles it stays cool enough to ride your tests. Which 4 th level tests are you entered in?

Stay cool everyone and jingles for those who need it
Last edited by khall on Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:48 pm

I have had really good lessons the past couple of days. We have been focusing on transitions-crisper, straighter, and more prompt, and where that takes us with the quality of the gaits and how it can set us up for the more advanced work. Its been very helpful (and of course had been something we could do using just half the arena!)

Unfortunately I ended yesterday with a bit of a stack. I'd hoped off in the arena and was walking back to the barn when Potters took exception to a skid steer and bolted. I hung on a bit too long and then got popped off my feet, landed hard and ploughed a furrow in the driveway.

Fortunately he was distracted in his gallop into the wild blue yonder by a patch of grass so I was able to catch him before he harmed himself.

I am stiff and sore and road-rashy this morning. My neck and shoulders took quite a beating, and my nose is rather sore as I think it led the charge somewhat. I think I'll probably take a pass on riding today.

Its our wedding anniversary and DH wants to go out to dinner this evening, so I've got to be chirpy and upbeat today!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:50 pm

khall wrote:Aleuronx do you mind sharing your snacks you go to? Deal with high humidity and heat pretty much daily here in Georgia and yeah you get nauseated eating. Our dew point is consistently staying in the mid 70’s. Hard to get motivated right now. Eagerly waiting on our beach trip in 2 weeks:)

Not who you asked, but when I was running more seriously, I liked the gummy electrolytes and Honey Stinger waffles for fueling. I did several half marathons and one 30K with those. I think for riding though, there's no need for the glycogen loading, just the electrolyte replacement for sweating. Regular Gatorade always made me gag when I was several miles into a race, and that sloshy feeling is no fun. Lately I'm partial to Dr. Berg's raspberry lemonade electrolyte powder and have a bottle of water with a scoop of that every morning. When it's hot and I'm really active, I'll either do a second scoop or drink about 16 oz of coconut water.

I had two good rides this morning. Working on getting more of the consistent feeling of Annabelle coming all the way through in the canter. We managed a quite nice if conservative medium down the long side and brought her back off my seat and staying round. I'm getting my entry for the August 20-21 show mailed in this weekend, riding First-3 and Second-1 both days. Toying with the idea of hauling over to Pocatello in September for a schooling show if gas continues to fall (it was under $5 this morning, so maybe). That would give us a chance to muck up the other second level tests in a lower pressure environment.

Tesla was back to full work this morning and charged for bear. I rode her for a full hour before she finally decided to ease off and let me call the shots. I remembered my instructor telling me that horses like her often need more work than one might think. She seemed satisfied and mildly tired when we finished, so we'll do some more hour long rides this weekend and hopefully get her canter back in order as the time off has her doing some wonky things again.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:46 pm

Very much the same!

I like the Honey Stinger waffles (Salted caramel for a 'big' snack or the small vanilla ones for nibbles before test). These for me are great if I have a near lunchtime ride time and can't get a meal in. I can eat them even with an excited tum and not feel gross. I've also tried their energy chews and been pleasantly surprised. I'd pop a few before a later afternoon ride if I'd had a good lunch beforehand and feel great.

There are lots of products on the market in either of these categories so it really comes down to taste. I can handle straight gatorade, especially super cold right after a ride and it's super refreshing. I've also done some electrolyte mix or tabs like Nuun as well but sometimes gatorade is easier to find and chuck in a cooler.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:22 pm

Gosh, I go away for a week...

Demi, lots of jingles for your DH, thanks for the update. And moutaineer, same for your BO's hubby.

This getting older thing is for the birds.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. We were at elevation, 6000 feet in CO Springs and 10,000 in Breckenridge for 3 days and I felt like all I did was drink and pee but it really helped. Nuun tablets in water are my go to in heat, no sugar and a good electrolyte replacement. I sweat a lot. We used them when seriously cycling and I use them to this day when it's hot. I feel better when I'm balanced.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 pm

I stick with water and the original electrolyte — salt. Even when I was running 50+ miles/week, I couldn't do gatorade, tablets, or gummies. They either merely upset the GI tract or make me puke. Neither is the intended effect. My mom has a similar problem with gatorade, but can drink things like Smartwater's plain electrolyte water, and gummies are fine. For long runs, I add a few flakes of Kosher salt to my hand water bottles before freezing.

Tl;dr: Try electrolytes at home on a hot day before venturing out.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:05 am

Oh Mountaineer…seems like I always do that too…should have just let them go. Glad you corralled him before he got himself in bigger trouble. Kyra does not mind the skid steer but she loses it if the tractor goes by with the bucket raised. She started that after boarding at one particular farm. I don’t know what happened but if the tractor is coming her way, I hold on tight. Jingles for healing up.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:54 am

Oh gosh Moutaineer, I hope you heal well!

I'm the show front, first day of the done and dusted. The three ring atmosphere was a lot stressful for poor Saiph who is always a bit guarded and watchful. It seemed like the more I tried to get her to focus the more she bounced around and hopped throwing in multiple flying changes and looking around with wide eyes. First I took off my spurs. She took a breath and said ok. Let try a bit of work. Then I loosened the nose band and gave my friend my whip. So instead is getting her really sharp and in the aid I modified my expectation and tried to just get her in the ring and cooperative. Unfortunately in my new state of mind I also let the reins get to long so I ride the whole test a bit on the forehand. Considering that we were in the ring against some big names prepping the FEI on nice horses, my expectations were moderate.

Honestly I came out of the ring after the test thrilled. I was so happy with her, she spooked a couple of times but came back on the aids and we managed the whole thing. Once I looked at the video I realized my errors and my score expectations dropped way down. The judge told me I had a lovely horses which I know, and to shorten my reins, which I realized after the vid, and we got a 62.9. I almost scratched the second test. I was super exhausted having been up 24 hours straight and worked a 12 hour overnight shift. But still she persevered. 4.2 is more complicated with the canter pirouette and 4 stride tempis. It's still quite a hard test for us. I got a lower score but a higher ribbon lol. 60. My goal for today would be to improve on yesterday's scores scores. My accuracy can certainly improve and Saiph can strap on her big girl attitude and collect uphill like we do at home.

On an emotional level, the last time I ride at this show and this level it was on Kea. Kea gave me so much and in the end I could not give her the comfort of a retirement and a good end. I was chatting to new friends about the tail coat hanging in my closet and told them how I now knew I'd never wear it. Never. It's Kea's coat. If miss Saiph and I make it to FEI, it will be worth a brand new coat. I'm crying as I type this. Saiph and Caliburn and Kimba are my Phoenix. They have dragged me out of the ashes of the fire and I am honestly thankful aporeciat and proud of us no matter how moderate the ribbons might be.
Last edited by Chisamba on Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:09 pm

Chisamba, I realize that you may have originally been shooting for higher scores but those are very impressive accomplishments. We both know that Saiph came away with more confidence because you didn't put the screws to her. She entered. She trusted and you gave her a confidence building ride. More importantly you repeated it. That is training. Congrats on a successful comeback and you have all my respect for putting your horse first (not that I would expect otherwise). Good luck on your rides today.

While my losses cannot be compared to yours, I think so many of us here share in the experience of solace that our equine partners allow us. A high school friend was checking in on me a couple of weeks ago. He wanted to make sure I was doing alright for a few reasons. I thanked him for his kindness but assured him that as long as I have my horses, I'm okay.

And to that end, I'm leaving for a real vacation in Hawaii in one week. I'm afraid Junior who is still sound is showing stress in his hocks after the last few rides focusing on really getting him to use his left hind. He's been a trooper, but he deserves and needs the break he's going to get. The heat hasn't been helping either. He's been put on a diet since his work isn't going to be so extreme. I'm also going to work him light and more in hand over this coming week and then re-assess when I get back. Brandon appears to have been trimmed (yesterday) a bit close in the back so he too is going to be worked in hand and then given a week off. Debating on whether or not I need to put shoes on him the next time the farrier is out (who won't be thrilled if I ask for that) but I also plan to have a colleague come out and give me her unbiased opinion before I go down that road.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:21 pm

The hot dry is hard on hooves in my opinion. It has been unusually dry here and the hooves seem to show it. I love barefoot but I shoe if they need it. Enjoy your break exvet. I suspect you and your horses will be refreshed by it

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:12 pm

Chisamba you I hope you are very proud of your accomplishment with Saiph. You rehabbed Saiph and have brought her to this point now relish your success! I know it’s bitter sweet after your losses of before. The joys and pain of owning and riding horses. We’ve all faced this. I sometimes think we need counseling. Good luck today! Sounds like your dialing it in at 4 th now! Fun to look forward to a new tailcoat

Exvet I’m sorry Junior is struggling with his hocks. Do you use adequan at all? Some horses just have to have shoes. Joplin has worn all 4 for quite awhile now. Even needing pads on the front for thinner soles. Does not help we are so wet right now. Of course if we aren’t soggy then we are rock hard clay. Are you going to the big island? Hawaii is one of our favorite vacations spots. DH lived there for several years as a teenager and we’ve been back as a family several times. Enjoy your vacation!

Our beach vacation is coming up as well next month. We all are ready for it! Just a trip to Florida St George island. A quiet vacation paddling around in the ocean and eating seafood. Dogs and DS are going with us. Rented a house right on the beach. Will give me time to read the 36 hour day on caring for loved ones with dementia. Feeling like I need some guidance with mom now. So difficult to see her inability to understand much of anything these days. She’s very aware of her issues too.

Not getting too much done horse wise. My vet friend thinks Gaila needs her SI injected but I’m going to wait until we get back from Florida. Still have not been able to get a culture yet. Not quite ready go back Monday morning

Stay cool all and happy riding!!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Congrats on the show so far, Chisamba!! What an impressive outing for both of you. And I hear you about horses-as-recovery-- makes those show results even more poignant.

Quick update from the hot and humid gulf coast: I was playing with the canter yesterday and everything felt straight and adjustable-- like the connection was nice and porous instead of poised/brittle. Anywho, decided to take a long diagonal and play with changes, and ended up getting 5 4-tempis. Today, just playing with things to see if I could, got 3 3-tempis.

Queso's just the absolute best, guys.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:11 pm

Congrats Chisamba! I'm glad you went for it and gave fourth a try; those are respectable scores and it sounds like you will be able to scoop up more points when you're more able to get to the horse that you have at home, so the training is there.

Queso is so cute, I'm impressed that he is schooling tempis!

Moutaineer, I missed about your accident before - ouch! - hope you are feeling better and have lots of arnica on hand.

Had a totally lovely ride on A this morning. Really focusing on the softness and bend in the back is making a big difference and we are starting to find some roundness in the counter canter. The trot half passes were coming easily too. I set up cavaletti on the diagonal and she blasted off and reached to go through without getting flat and on the forehand. I think if we can produce that at the show we should get a pretty decent score for lengthenings. Still some to got to call it a medium, but the idea is in her head.

Tesla was a beast needing a lot of riding again today. The BO was schooling her mare and on how much more forward she is now. I joked that her new motto is "Sit down, shut up and hang on!" I'm so glad I started DRT and have been upping my fitness game this year so I can hang with her.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:25 pm

Demi, I had tried to post something earlier but I'm not sure if it went through. Thinking of you and your husband right now. That sounds really tough but I know he has such great support with you by his side. Best wishes for healing.

Chisamba, I loved your post about your show. You always write in a way that feels like we're right there with you. It sounds like a pretty darn successful show mentally for both of you. It will only get better from there!!

Ponichiwa, Queso is just too handsome!! I'm glad things are going so well with him. It sounds like you were just having a blast.

Khall and Exvet- enjoy your vacations that are coming up!! We just got back from San Diego last night. It was so nice to get away but I'm ready to get to riding again too.

We are planning on getting Lynx to his first off farm schooling show next weekend. We will be hauling him so that's a big one for me personally. The trainer will be the one competing him this time, I just wanted him to have one really good experience before I do it next time. Of course I've shown him at our little schooling shows at home but it's not the same as leaving. I'm sure he's going to do great. We haven't yet decided what we will enter him in but the plan is to figure that out tomorrow during our lesson.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:33 pm

Also, I was talking about so many of you here to a barn friend the other day. Not by names or even identified by the thread but she has an offbreed horse with less than ideal conformation and she's trying to get her bronze medal at third level currently. I was just offering some words of encouragement because so many here have done miraculous things with less than perfect horses and are such an inspiration.

She seems super close to getting it although I think she's maybe expecting too much in just one season. It seems to me with the less than ideal conformation you have to be extra patient and very attuned to the details.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:52 am

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:She seems super close to getting it although I think she's maybe expecting too much in just one season. It seems to me with the less than ideal conformation you have to be extra patient and very attuned to the details.

Totally! Annabelle has been 2nd level-ish for a while. Some days I think I'm high to consider showing her 2nd, and other days it's there. There is so much to polish, and some stuff that is or will be easy for Tesla is really tough for her. The one level per year thing is not realistic for her, but she keeps on progressing.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:40 am

Nice inspiration - we stabled next to Lea at a show last year when they were struggling with 4th. TLDR non dressage rider and half Arabian saddle seat trained horse make PSG. https://katrinaleighphotography.com/202 ... kster-lea/
Last edited by StraightForward on Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:04 am

Cool pair SF. Ooh, that Queso hunk…doing tempis! Chisamba…you are a warrior. I tried going to one horse show after working all night back when I was in my late 20’s and said never again. I was more than useless. The fact that you can function and pull out those scores… 8-) .

Well, my with work WITH me Kyra was back today. I had a very nice ride which culminated with a very nice half pass in sitting trot! each way. Nice in that she maintained forward with the sideways and pretty even on both reins. Usually right half pass gets anemic. I thought I would try it. I am never sure how much sitting my sitter can take but it seems pretty darn happy in the Prestige. It is the X-breath that has a cut out for the coccyx. I know you can post the half pass but I always get tangled up as to which diagonal and keeping my legs in the right places. Sitting just gives me more stability with the horse. Canter work was pretty good and I was able to throw in two 3 loop serpentine with simple changes. The downwards are getting more prompt but the balance isn’t quite where it needs to be but getting close. She had lovely light lipstick that was pretty darn even. Given the success of the half pass, I will slowly start adding in some sitting trot and see what happens.

BO said she wasn’t drinking as much as she has been….I don’t like that in this hot weather. The BO did clean her bucket just in case something got in it she didn’t like. She was hungry, had a couple nice big piles of poop and was quite bright. She did drink twice after our ride so hopefully it was just a little blip.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:55 am

Well after a euphoric first day of show I got a slap down on the second day. One of the judges gave me 6.5 for ride position and effectiveness in day one. Apparently between day one and day two I forgot how to ride because I got a higher overall score for her ( miniscule higher, 61.2. From the judge who have me a sixty) with quite a few nice seven and 6.5, but a scathing comment about my sitting trot and a 5.5 for rider score. I was so offended. I lay awake to two in the morning and only fell asleep after I decided to scratch the class with her this morning and only ride one class. In tired and so is Saiph, why the eff should I make her ride two tests on the third day of riding when I know the judge has a poor opinion of me.. I tossed and turned and gnawed at the desire to try and eke a better score versus stressing me and my horse for nada. I won't ever know if I made the right choice will I?

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:21 pm

Congrats Ponichiwa
Good luck at your show next weekend LPS
Thank you Straightforward for such an uplifting story.

Chisamba - BEEN THERE DONE THAT and I can tell you it's just a blip on the map. Every one of those blips I've encountered I've used to fuel my fire ;) Maybe the judge got up on the wrong side of the bed or had a headache...........who knows; but I will say that inconsistencies in judging I find the most maddening and frustrating. I think you were wise to scratch the class not because of the judge or their comments but because if Saiph and you are both tired what is there really to gain (even a higher score comes with risk of becoming too fatigued and/or injury). You still end up with some pretty tremendous successes and you get to go home with a horse you love and enjoy...........what does the judge get to go home with other than a check for who knows how many trite comments made ;)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:16 pm

Well today she was the spooky tense upset stressed horse. Sadly the biggest victory was staying in the ring. I definitely did freight only riding one test. I feel sorry for the judge trying to judge that mess. But. On the up side, a great opportunity to school, and a good learning curve. So there is that

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:27 pm

Straightforward, thank you for sharing that link. I always love hearing about these inspirational pairs. I admit I'm always one to root for the underdogs although I certainly do droll over some purpose bred horseflesh as well.

Watching this barn mate's test, she's getting darn close to 60 percent (maybe she even got one score of 60%) and I believe has only shown 3rd level 3 times. And in watching her there seems like there is plenty room for improvement, which I mean and think of as a really GOOD thing. I get the feeling she thinks it's maybe hopeless because of her horse's breed but I honestly don't think so. I do hope she keeps at it as I get next season they will be more solid in it.

Chisamba, dang! Sorry the show started to get a bit tougher. I know you made the best of it and will learn lots from the experience. Onwards and upwards.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:39 pm

LSP - it took me a solid two years to earn my scores at third level the first time around on my Arabian. I had to work for 2.5 years at second level prior to that. I had this insane goal to earn my bronze by the time I was 40, well at 42 I finally did it. I had Monty at third level for 1.5 seasons dabbling at 4th by the time we were midway through the second season. Resi was a quick learner, so we didn't stick around at third for long, but it did take my daughter a full show season at second and third, each, a couple years after that for her to earn her bronze on him. The stinker pony, honestly, didn't take me all that long either but that was because he became very good at second over a full two long years of hitting it then missing it, hitting it then missing it. Everyone's journey is different and typically it is we that hold the horse back or fail to give them the right guidance to have them hit all the marks. I hope your friend doesn't get too discouraged. IMO a horse's job is to keep us humble and honest ;) If her horse has 3 pure gaits and a good brain, the breeding makes no difference. If she's hitting it out of the park at home, she just needs to find the right mix to keep her horse (and likely herself) supple and relaxed enough at the shows to repeat it there too. For some of us 'THAT' takes a show season or two in and of itself, not a hallmark of capability but a demonstration of keeping one's cool under pressure............................

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:35 am

Major lessons to bring home. Start schooling twice a day when I have time. Make sure I school after the test because I think it's like a trail ride where everyone jiggs going home. I always school after Tail ride and now I school lightly after my test so I can choose the partnership I wish to end on.

And sometimes you can have a lovely ride and get everything very personally satisfying and the judge just does not have to agree.

The huge positives. Saiph and I can manage a three ring show with a shared warm up, and you can still meet lovely outdoor art shows

Sorry that I have been so self absorbed. I spent the evening catching up on your news. Exvet. Thank you so much for your sage words. I came home with four pretty ribbons and the most appreciated one was the sixth place in a class full of seasoned horses. And most scores over sixty. So that's ok

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:46 am

Chisamba you rock on with your bad self! Exvet is right, it is just a blip on the map in an otherwise very successful outing (look at me saying that so confidently while TOTALLY also being the person who lies awake at night rehashing every bad comment :lol: )
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:56 pm

Exvet, thank you for always being so inspirational and giving your advice! I know you more than many know what it can take to get a horse to that level. I definitely think if she sticks with it she can get there.

On that note, I had a walk only lesson on Lynx yesterday. It was storming horribly and we rode inside. The indoor is not being watered very much because of apparently water restrictions in the county where the barn is. The barn is on City water so I'm not sure how it all works. But I do know we were asked to not bathe their horses more than once a week and to try to sponge off rather than do a full hose off if possible. Anyways Lynx seems like he can be prone to allergies or irritation of his throat So I requested a walk only ride inside. But walking only does not mean no work or no learning! He can be spooky in that indoor. It originally was set up to be able to run cows through the outside of the arena. So it's got pipe fencing and like a shoot on one side. No cattle at the place so now that space holds jumps barrels and other various things. Lynx thinks this can be pretty distracting and scary. So we worked on using lateral work to keep him working and focused.

What we worked on was a various pattern of leg yield, to shoulder in to half pass. I'm very familiar with using shoulder in and even a little leg yield to deal with his lookie Lou instances. Half pass was new to me for this (and honestly I'm still learning how to half pass well.) I was skeptical at first if this was going to be the right technique. Because she would have me do shoulder in and then half pass away from the spooky stuff. And absolutely at first there would be a step or two where he would kind of feel us going away and I would really need to put on my inside leg for that bend to keep him from running into it. But wants to be got more into it he did stay focus and never did do any actual spooks. We got some pretty nice steps at half pass where I could really feel the moments he was stepping under. I love the moments when you can really feel when you have it correct versus not.

Good lesson! Editing to add, that with his stifle stuff, I'm never sure if we will be able to do third level or not but we will work the next few years on strengthening and put it on the pieces into place and who knows. I do believe that believing in your horse is such a big step and I do believe mentally he could do it. He has a great canter too so hopefully that could translate into a change. He will always be weak in the extended gaits, I believe.

Regardless watching him with my young daughter is so sweet. She was doing some groundwork with him the other day watching him trot along side her. Once he matures a little bit and she continues on I believe one day she will be taking over the reins. She said one of her goals is to lease a Grand Prix school master one day (as well as jump SIDE saddle lol!) And if that continues to be a goal of hers I know Lynx will at the very least give her a very good start and education in dressage. He will definitely be able to do a lot at second level and like I said hopefully third. Either way it has a lot that he can teach her one day. As well as he's teaching me even being five. He's such a mix of learning how to bring up a young horse, while also being very schoolmaster like at times. Regardless of whatever happens I'm having such a blast with him.

Return to “Dressage Training”