Transition to fall: September-October Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Transition to fall: September-October Goals and Progress

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:11 pm

I wish I could say that it's cooling off here, but September is starting out HOT.

Next two months:

Self:
Starting DRT 2 on the 5th
Train for a half marathon the day before my 45th birthday? It's a race I've done a couple times before. They just announced they'll be holding it for the first time since Covid-world. I haven't run more than 5 miles since my ankle got bunged up when Rosette bucked me off August 2016, so this is a stretch goal!

Annabelle
Jump 1x per week
Keep working on suppleness over the back
Square halts and getting the legs under

Tesla
Keep working on canter quality
Lateral work to develop the suppleness
Survive the show I signed up for September 24th.

Other
I'm moving Obie over to my main barn this weekend. He's been at the old barn for over 13 years, so hopefully it's not a hard adjustment for him.
In addition to getting his feet in order, I am going to throw all the feeding programs on the table and try to do some rethinking to try to keep all three on as much as the same things as I can while adjusting for their individual needs and hopefully not breaking the bank in the process.
Last edited by StraightForward on Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Re: Transition to fall: September-October Goals and Progress

Postby chantal » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:59 pm

Wow, I wish I had the energy (and $) for 3 horses SF. I love how Tesla's canter is coming along.

We are working on really getting the hind leg to come under, in everything. And keeping him in the outside rein, and filling it up. And responding immediately when I ask, for everything. The canter is getting so much better, we thing shoulder fore to the right (he's straighter to the left) and do 15m circles at 4 points in a large arena. We do this at the trot as well but are working on 10m circles and do those from a large circle. And we are doing gradually smaller circles then LY out the canter both directions. It results in a really nice canter. Working on SI and HI and large TOH.

I am a sore kiddo after my lessons, so much canter. It didn't help that we split 2+ cords of wood from a tree we took down last Sunday.

Me-I need to keep up with my yoga for flexibility and just a little bit of strength and biking 2x a week to keep my knees happy and add to my cardio.

I'm planning to do a fix-a-test on Sep 8 and another schooling show on Sep 25.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:36 am

chantal wrote:Wow, I wish I had the energy (and $) for 3 horses SF.

So do I :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:12 am

Me. I really have to emphasize healthy eating because my go troubles have interfered with my exercise....and we've ate heading into winter so no fattening up for hibernation!!

Kimba is hitting her stride. So...polish up third level with a goal to >65 at third in 2023

Saiph polish up fourth with a goal of > 65 at fourth

Caliburn. I'm introducing a bit of piaffe and passage work in hand to develop his unfortunate back conformation. I think I'd like to show second with a goal of >65 at rated shows for 2023.

This is the time of year I work on roots and basics so I can blossom into next spring. I still have a couple of shows to finish put 2022 but if I'm going to show I need to enterr more and practice show riding again. So my goals are written, and cannot be erased. I'm committed.

I also have to decide if I'm going to get the stupid hip replaced and if I do over winter seems like the appropriate time to do it.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:02 pm

Still trying to get to a quality third level here.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:38 pm

Me: continue to work on my position. I'm going to sign up for a equestrian focus fitness program. I am going to try and get a massage for my back pain. I am pretty sure my SI is too mobile right now and watching my father and his back issues, isn't very comforting. I need to figure out what I can do now to help myself out.

Lynx: Coming off of his Prostride injections and a minor kick on his forearm, I'm obviously going to be taking it slow. I've always had the nag in feeling that we were going just a bit too fast. But it's hard when you are not the professional and you have nothing to back up that feeling. Now I have evidence and I feel a little more in control of his future. I'm going to get a lunging Cavesson that actually fits and do a lot more in handwork.

He will only be worked three days a week for probably the rest of the year. . And one of those might just be groundwork only. I'm going to commit to ride him out in the field while I can with the weather. My vet said we could add in light canter work but I'm going to wait at least a month or two. I want to do at least an online dressage schooling show. I hope to get him off property sometime as well but right now it's just not a good time. He has been off property just not lately.

I also want to take him to an obstacle course clinic as I think he would really enjoy that.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:24 pm

Me:
Exercise outside of riding, even if just walking
Eat healthy/cook more
Keep trailer practicing!

RP:
Go to regionals in Oct(?): I haven't shown since Nov, so this might be a mess, but also we've qualified and it's fairly local, so may as well?
Continue strength training with hill work and poles
Continue lateral work, including at canter
Try to add a bit more weight without going too far

MM:
Ramp up work if/when weather cools down
start some focused fitness training work
practice more xc jumps and baby courses

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:19 pm

Me - Continue working out as much as possible though I will be working more.

Junior - just got back from my lesson and we've made progress. His canter departs are more powerful and on spot. So, with that:
- continue to work on keeping Junior straight with the foot falls, loading all 4 legs equally (true balance) at all three gaits on both reins
- Junior has learned pretty solidly new canter aids; so, now the goal is to develop a distinct flying aid button
- use the next two months to get consistently correct mechanics in the flying changes on both reins
- correct bend, correct bend, correct bend, correct bend
- schooling show this month

Brandon - get hind shoes on in 3 weeks
- fix the canter on the right lead so that he tracks properly, we're already making some progress on this
- develop more consistent and honest connection to the outside rein in both directions - our bit/bridle issues have almost disappeared
- start to develop our lengthening as we build our strength in our hind end
- do more jumping
- schooling show this month

Ace, Brandon and Junior - get back to putting more miles on the trail once this heat breaks

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:58 pm

Ryeissa sending you good Third vibes. I think that's my project for the winter.

LSP slow is fast always and definitely hit up the obstacle course clinic! I thoroughly enjoyed the one I did with Kora even though we had no interest in the competitions going forward.

I'm repeating a few goals, ahem fitness. Played in spurs for the first time this week and Kora was grand about it. I'm using smooth disc rowels because, mares. Anyways the first day I just super praised for her correct responses after a warm-up then went hacking out in the field. Worked in them yesterday in a more serious reaction way and she was on point and fair. Box checked. Navy spur straps ordered for show kit.

Section Goals:
-Rider fitness of some variety (yoga? bike? weights?)
-One last chance to pip the 70% barrier at 1st 3 at Regionals then we kiss 1st level goodbye
-Score in the top half of the class for the AA 1st Level Championship, this class generally has enough entrants to ride from dawn until dusk so I feel like top half is a fair goal.
-Post-Regionals lesson bonanza aka as much as possible (time and $$$)
-Keep rolling with the Sunday Funday's of either polework or field play

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:39 pm

I'm repeating my "not meeting my maker due to construction" goal! Apparently, they are going to start on the indoor arena next week. (So, for anyone out West who is wondering when this hideous dry heatwave is going to break, mid-next week would be a good bet.)

I know you can't make an omelet without cracking eggs, but man, the farm looks like a complete disaster area at the moment. Autowaterers are going in all paddocks this week, so yet more trenching and dust and flies and loud machinery, but it will be nice when it's done. (I keep telling myself!) The problem is no-one seems to be able to actually finish one project before they move on to the next.

I have a clinic in a couple of weeks, which will probably help clarify my other goals, but at the moment they seem to be the following:

1.Tidy up the lateral work in trot and canter (which really means continue to emphasize the forward and straight!)

2. Learn how to sit this boy's extended trot across an entire long diagonal without ending up like a ragdoll.

3. Continue on our path of tempi changes--which will probably eternally screw us up for third level.

4. lose the rest of the 5lbs. Unlikely to happen as we will be off on a 3-week-long eating extravaganza in Europe in October.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:59 am

Yeah, Mountaineer…construction :P . They were supposed to do electrical work at my barn Tuesday so they closed the barn. Tuesday went into Wednesday and continued on today. Kyra has not been impressed with the work. She doesn’t like the guys on ladders above her and isn’t thrilled with their noisy tools. Oh well, she has been getting her exercise. She comes into to eat then goes jetting outside when something offends her. I think they were going to be done today and although I was expecting a challenging ride, I think she was happy to escape the hubbub and she worked nicely.

Goals…
Me…get my a** moving. Anything. It has got to cool down one of these days? Forecast for 100 or more all the way through the weekend. My rowing machine is in my garage which has been running about 94 degrees. We will see.

Horse…continue to work on softness in the connection which means attention to straightness and relaxation. Attention to transitions within the gaits and staying in front of the leg. Get a few trips up the hill on the trails before winter sets in.

Susan

khall

Postby khall » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:09 pm

I’m lucky that even with commotion going on I can usually find a place to ride. Our farm is spread out over 40+ acres and gives me options. We are looking to take down a dead tree and do a bit of clearing/cutting brush that should not take that long though.

This go around I have Cedar scheduled end of the month. So trying to keep both my girls working well. Joplin definitely is stepping up. Want to get some video of the new canter we have if I can recreate it. She is springing off the ground. Friend was watching saying she was getting even loftier in her canter as she engages and collects more.

Schooling at show venue 9-18 to run through some tests hoping to show schooling show October.

Gaila keep on with the double. Need to take her possibly get her SI injected. Got to find the time. Riding her still but not pushing her too hard. Though did play with canter HP she had no trouble with it.

Me try to lose these 20 lbs that are so very stubborn. I’m eating better usually and dang I’m walking 15-20,000 steps a day wth?? On top of Pilates twice weekly and all the other stuff I do. Pfft

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:59 pm

anyone know when the new tests will be released?

blob

Postby blob » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:17 pm

Ryeissa wrote:anyone know when the new tests will be released?

I believe last time they were released in December. But it poses an interesting question because regional championships usually have open shows alongside that are qualifiers for the following years regionals.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:56 pm

blob wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:anyone know when the new tests will be released?

I believe last time they were released in December. But it poses an interesting question because regional championships usually have open shows alongside that are qualifiers for the following years regionals.

yes! its kind of weird, isn't it?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:57 pm

There is a symposium or something here to go over the new tests around November 13th, so I'd imagine slightly before that?

Tesla had five days off due to the bug bite on her girth line. I rigged up her girth with some thick sheepskin pieces and put her back to work yesterday. She was a little crabby at first, but nothing that seemed like it had to do with the bite. This morning was much less crabbiness to work through, and we ended up having a nice ride. Horses, including her BFF, were getting turned out during our ride, and she wanted to stare at them, but didn't have a tantrum like she used to. Once I got her attention and a nice SI both ways I called it quits and put her out.

Then Annabelle got loaded up and we went to school at the haul-in arena. I was planning to use the mirrors in the indoor to check up on our progress with the HP, but the owner had her mules turned out in there, so we had to school outside. That was not a bad thing though. A was being very good, so I tacked and mounted at the trailer, opened/closed the arena gate from horseback, and she went right to work. We took advantage of the huge space to do some forward and back and big CC loops. She is getting better at staying on my seat and coming back, though she was dropping out of canter a bit today. It was only at the end when I was walking her along the treed side of the arena trying to stay in the shade that she started thinking there might be bogeymen hiding.

After that we headed over to my old barn to pick up Obie. Bringing Annabelle was the right plan, because he hopped right in the trailer and traveled pretty well. He seemed a little astonished when he got to the new place, but settled right in and was happy to see hay when I brought it. Tonight I think I'll go back and give him a little spa day. He rolled in the mud this morning and needs his feet done and sheath cleaned. Otherwise he is looking pretty good.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:39 pm

Well Lynx has his first ride back in about 2 weeks? It was a semi private lesson (instructor very understanding that he's rehabbing.) We did some light walk /trot and then walk poles then trot poles (just 6 times through.) Lynx got really excited about the poles. The second time through he felt like he was doing passage he was lifting so high. Unfortunately the 3 third time through, he got very excited and was rushing towards them. I attempted to have half halt him but as we entered the polls he decided to start cantering them and then jump them like an oxer. I wasn't as on board with this but felt I sufficiently went with him. He landed bucking, at first I think it was a "wee that was fun buck" But then he was not very happy about me discouraging his whole celebration. So he was planting and bucking probably about 5 bucks. Luckily, I don't think he has figured out that you can buck and move at the same time. Anyways I got him back to me and stayed on. My trainer hopped on and rode him through the poles once and then we did something else.

My instructor and the other girl in my lesson said they thought it looked a lot more like excitement and joy than any pain. He has done this before, and it was actually through single poles set up as a course. Basically it seems that he does not like me to interfere with his ideas before doing this type of stuff. Which I do try and be very conscious but of course I cannot just let him be out of control either! There's a fine line for both of us that we need to learn to walk together.

We're going to proceed really cautiously the next week or two and then I will decide if work is what he needs or if we take a month off and just do in handwork. Stifles are tough because it is such a balance in that they do need work and movement but we certainly can't push it either. Depending on the next two weeks ago I might send off the ultrasounds to CSU to get another opinion. I mean we already injected with ProStide which is what CSU said they would recommend regardless last time I emailed them quickly. But I just want to make sure we have the right plan for the next few months.

I do think maybe I expected too much from him being a 5-year-old and having two weeks off of work besides some gentle handwalking. Of course I can't lunge him but he is usually so laid back that I wasn't worried about it. Young horses!!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:51 pm

I think I had a bit of a breakthrough today WRT my right hip/seatbone. I let the seatbone float a little, and that leg has historically been the one to rotate more outwards. It is not easy, but I have to think about pushing that knee down and the hip forwards. I could see the improvement in the right bend on both horses, even though they were also a little like "WTF" we had an agreement!

Also, a FB memory of Tesla's 18th ride popped up today, and I happened to get video so could still shot a comparison. Yeah, she's matured a bit. :shock:
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-09-05 163726.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-05 163726.jpg (131.05 KiB) Viewed 16045 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:01 pm

It was a Monday.

Apparently the letter pylons on one side of the arena have developed a life of their own again... we have a new mnemonic as a memory aid:

K is for killer

V is for vicious

E is for exciting

S is for spooky

H is for horrifying

(And C is for "cut this crap out and focus, you little sod..."

But we did get some quite nice spook to medium trot transitions and several nice flying changes. Some I even asked for!

SF, it will be so much easier having all the horses in the same barn! I wish I could do that. I have no issues with Laddie's care, but it is a trek down to check on him. But the main place is not set up for retirees and is too expensive anyway.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 pm

Mountaineer… :lol: . I never thought to name the letters.

Kyra has been working well but I am holding my breath she doesn’t get kicked out of the stable. She is just not getting along with anybody (equine wise) and it has escalated in the last couple weeks. The barn owners live overhead so I am sure it doesn’t take much to make life very annoyingly noisy. She is working great under saddle and hasn’t thrown me any attitude on the ground so I am at a loss. I think I will throw her some Nexium just in case of ulcers. Despite it still being 100 degrees each day, she might be going into her fall sillies. Liz (BO) said she isn’t being mare-ish…she just acts pissed. Also, 2 new horses have come in in the last month and both went next to her (1st one got moved after a couple weeks) so that has kept things stirred up. Liz is willing to work with her we are just trying to figure out what will work. She has never particularly played well with others except for my friend’s big draft cross mare. Terrible just having one friend. I think she is going to have to go in an end stall where she only has one neighbor if we can find one she will mostly get along with.

As far as training, we are just putzing along with basic stuff. Last week I had a sick cat (RIP Oscar) and the 100 degree days just keep rolling on so my rides remain pretty short if I could work them in. I did throw in a day in long reins and she was very resistant on the right…trying to swallow her tongue. I finally got her to have a quiet mouth for about 6 strides of canter and called it good. Today I made sure she was soft and not bracing in the jaw…a bunch of treading water…but she did finally stretch forward and lose the brace in her neck and mouth. We were in the little arena so I just worked on connection and getting and keeping it soft. Her canter was pretty nice. Softer in the back and nice bounding strides so I just tried to keep her reaching for the bit softly and not grinding on it while we did laps. We did have a nice trot up the hill…first time I have tried trot. It went well.

The temps are supposed to go down into the low 90’s, upper 80’s by the end of the week. I think that will feel great.

Susan

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:05 pm

StraightForward what a chunk of muscle Tesla has become! In a good way, that is one solid mare.

Susan, sorry about your loss. Even the little ones steal our hearts. Keep surviving that triple digit heat, I don't know how you guys do it but you probably can't imagine the same at 10 degrees either.

Today was saddle fitter visit and I only just managed to avoid panic last evening ahead of time thinking about saddle being too wide/not suitable and the implications. We were a bit over due for a visit, she was last out in December, and I just love this saddle but it was sitting really low on her back with very little space in front and behind. I hadn't bothered with a half-pad yet as she was still comfortable but obviously concerned. My main worry was that she had narrowed again and the tree would be no longer a fit, reminder that I had the tree adjusted narrow-er back in December. And yes, holy cow what a change from the black pen line from her first measurement.

saddle fit.jpg
saddle fit.jpg (196.49 KiB) Viewed 15958 times

Big relief when traced she is just about identical to the December measurement (blue lines) for back shape to today (purple lines). Some narrowing in her width of heartgirth that could either be fitness related or still recovering some weight loss from our starvation show. Slight atrophy of the left side trap but saddle was more squished on that side as well, so makes sense. Saddle has been restuffed to the gills and is sitting and riding much better.

We have a lesson on Sunday so will be interesting to see what trainer thinks. I could already feel the reach of her front leg/shoulders be better in the canter in just a short go around to show fitter active fit. PSA, keep on top of your saddles people!!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:53 pm

Thanks Aleuronx...I thought he was pretty healthy but a lot of those damned old age issues come on so insidiously. Even knowing he was pretty sick, he looked so good :cry: . I am going to go look for a new companion next week ;) . I don't do pet-less very well. I am glad you didn’t need a new saddle. Saddle shopping is such a headache.

Well, Liz gave Kyra her hay in a slow feed net and she seemed more settled with her world today. She was still working on breakfast a little after 9AM! I wouldn't doubt she may have ulcers. I loaded all her supplement baggies up with Nexium...going to try the cheap route first and Liz is willing to put her hay in nets. I hope that helps the situation. This is not the time of the year to be looking for a new barn. I will if we can't get her settled.

It was steaming hot again today (100 +). It never cooled off much last night so I had about 0 energy to do much. So...I put on her curb bit that I want to use for trail riding and we had a 'lazy' day. I have been riding her in it about once a week to get her used to it so that when my riding buddy gets back from vacation, we can hit the trails again. She seems to kind of like it (if that is possible). It was pretty damned nice not to have to fuss and plead with her to soften in the jaw. To get her exercise in we did some trotting warm up then canter...we just cantered laps. Lovely flowing, forward and relaxed. I have never done a lot of just riding forward. Dressage induces us to always be doing something and with her history of tension...always trying to do some kind of exercise to try and induce relaxation or at least slow her down (brain and body) some way. Kind of fun :D .

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:06 am

Susan if I have a tense horse I find simple forward lsps of canter as you described can be a way to work out when they are ready to stop being distracted and ready to partner better. I was teaching a really good rider today who was getting into an argument with her horse at the evil letter C for cut and run. He took of cantering and I told her to just sit with a light contact and canter a few laps. No arguing just forward. Once he did a few Laos he settled into a super supple connection and was ready to focus. Does not always work but this time it did and it sounds like it did for you too.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:27 pm

Good to hear the plans and updates!

I am continuing very simple versions of both: Keep doing gentle rehab (for groin muscle tear on mare) and take our time! Emi had a set back in healing in July (after about a month of adding trot work). So August was walk only in the arena and we are now transitioning to walking outside the arena when footing is decent and a small amount of trot. Fingers crossed!

The first walk outside the arena was kind of exciting because the mare had apparently become feral with all that arena walking....but she has now remembered her manners! :D

When Emi was healthy, rounds and laps of canter was a great way in the arena and in the field to really get her feeling forward to the bit, supple and good in the SI (her trouble area). Also good cardio fitness!

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:21 pm

I just got done with another lesson with Molly. I took Junior again and we worked more on his suppleness. She had me work at all three gaits asking for bend at varying degrees. The whole lesson went like this: you go a specific direction at walk, trot and canter. In each gait you ask first for bend (think 20 meter circle and if it's even a little bit sticky or slow to come you release once you get it for a stride or two and then ask again but this time you ask for more bend as in 15 meter circle amount whether on the circle (which is where we started) or on the straight away. If you get it easily and quickly you release and go back to the 20 meter circle amount of bend but if you don't get it easily and quickly you ask again and once you get it you release and ask for more so that asking for the appropriate amount of bend for the exercise and level is EASY and met with a yes ma'am and no resistance. Once we got this established and I had a supple welsh cob we then went to asking for varying degrees of engagement and power forward into bigger and bigger gaits with the expectation and focus on keeping a supple and even contact into both reins. Any resistance was ridden through then rewarded with taking it down a notch and going right back at it and then asking for more. The last part of the lesson was simply working on setting up for the flying change by riding the full arena in each direction and asking for Junior to take his shoulders to the outside and inside, rinse and repeat with getting a response of being soft and even in both reins no matter where the shoulders were AND WITHOUT CHANGING. By the end of the lesson I had a horse that was truly supple and even in both reins without sucking back. I'm told if I can get 5 rides like that in the arena I can then start asking for the FC. So now I have my homework and a goal.......................... oh and I'm supposed to be introducing Brandon to the 'baby' version of the same :o

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:13 pm

Sounds similar to my lesson on A this morning. Stretchy forward round in the trot, then keeping her over the back and really bending into the SI or HI, then another deep stretchy circle thinking lengthen. Doing this in both trot and canter, and keeping deep in T/C, C/T and even W/C transitions. She got super bouncy and felt delightful. A fellow boarder has just started up a massage business and is renting a Bemer set for the month before deciding whether to buy one to add to her practice. We used it on A last night, and I think it really helped with her suppleness. She is going to get a couple more treatments and then chiro next Friday, so I'm looking forward to the cumulative results.

We had a sudden cool down last night and Tesla was pretty fresh today, but we had a good lesson. It was all about getting her to bend right and yield off my right leg. We did have some moments of brilliance and I can see where i need to bring my strength to the next level. I was pretty tired by the end. We'll do it all again on Monday.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:32 am

Exvet sounds similar to an exercise we call bending without turning and use for suppling and getting into equal contact.

I have finished my show season on my horses so focusing on basics. Basic suppleness in all three gaits. I am working on getting the bend by placing the hind quarters. So lots of renver/Travers

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:09 pm

Chisamba wrote:Exvet sounds similar to an exercise we call bending without turning and use for suppling and getting into equal contact.

I have finished my show season on my horses so focusing on basics. Basic suppleness in all three gaits. I am working on getting the bend by placing the hind quarters. So lots of renver/Travers

I'm sure you won't get 'sucked' into it like I did; but I had been working Junior using the lateral work, especially renver/travers to supple him. Not incorrect or a bad idea but with the card carrying, willing to whip it out at any moment if you even think to question, WELSH COB figured out how to move his hindquarters and 'bend' elusively still failing to supple and come into the right rein. I thought I was on the right path but fine tuned a grand way to another evasion. In other words, as most here know I can get dam good scores on SI, Renvers and travers but still not have Junior bend in a way that I have total control of the shoulders and a horse equal into both reins consistently. Now that I'm more aware AND have better tools to work through this aspect, we will get there but it will take me longer to develop and encourage/help Junior develop new 'habits'. What's truly encouraging is that the pony is so athetic and stinking smart that once I started 'punishing him' :shock: for the skip a change he's far less likely to whip one out. I had been told by so many NEVER punish for a flying change offered.......well......now I can't unlearn the pony but I've been able to CORRECT him quick enough in the moment that the last time he threw one in, and got CORRECTED swiftly and a little dramatically though no pain/blood/spur involved, he quickly threw in a clean change to get back to the lead we were on all the while, saying, I'm sorry, I'm sorry I didn't mean it.....................

Darn stinking smarty pants....................LOL

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:11 pm

I might well get sucked in. I usually try to get the horse equal in both reins before starting laterals as part of my warm up. I appreciate the advice

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:04 pm

Whew, Tesla's first show is on the books! I found out just a few days ago about a Pony Club schooling show and took her in the ground poles. It took about an hour of walking her around and a bit of lunging before I felt like getting on was a wise choice, but after that she was really quite good. I was really impressed with how she basically ignored all the kids and ponies in the warmup, and didn't get annoyed when they passed close by. She does not do well with standing around for more than a few minutes at a time. I got a lot of valuable information about how to prep her at shows, and feel better about the little schooling show at the end of the month, which is in a less familiar to me venue.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:04 am

Congratulations Straightforward. It's always nice to get the first one under the belt and live to tell the tale ;) I also love the pictures further up the thread. Tesla looks to be quite the powerhouse.

We had a significant monsoon storm last night which thankfully brought our temps down to below 100. Though it was still pretty muggy I felt Junior could handle upping his distance for his conditioning ride today. We trotted and/or cantered the full 5.5 miles and what did we work on? Can we move the shoulders to the left of center, to the right of center in any gait ad nauseum. We also worked on our medium and extended trot, including up hills (small ones). I'm lucky my pony likes me and that he stayed a pony because he's getting pretty darn stout.

I've been doing more in hand work with Brandon before getting on and it does seem to produce better connection and less resistance. I've also started to do some counter canter work with him just to see if it will help me straighten the canter. I'll just say it's has become an eye opener for me and him. If I can get his crookedness resolved or at least improved, he'll start putting more muscle on over the top line. Then it will be time for a new saddle. Guess I had better pick up even more shifts at work.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:39 pm

SF, congratulations on the first schooling show outing with Tesla. That's huge!!

Exvet, I'd love to hear more about what you do in hand with Brandon. That's an area I struggle with myself but especially with Lynx. I definitely feel it could be a benefit for us as well.

I had a super ride today. I had it rode since last Sunday. Trainer rode Thursday But then I did groundwork on Friday and Saturday because the weather was awful and there is an emergency at the barn. It was just bad vibes and I didn't think it's the smartest thing to ride through. But we kind of lesson today and he just felt fantastic. Really through his back and wanted to stretch down nicely. It was a short and sweet lesson which I think is perfect right now. Afterwards we played with a working equitation course that the barn owner had set up. Lynx enjoys it and it boosts his confidence a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the next few weeks go.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:10 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:
Exvet, I'd love to hear more about what you do in hand with Brandon. That's an area I struggle with myself but especially with Lynx. I definitely feel it could be a benefit for us as well.

Well, I had already been working with bit acceptance and teaching Brandon to halt-walk-halt to teach him to halt square from the ground along with straddling the pole exercise. I will also confess to starting him with learning to pick up his hind feet to whip pressure. We've also been doing other pole and jumping work in hand. After my last lesson with Molly Martin (on Junior), I decided to join the Amelia Newcomb 30-day challenge to round. Molly and I learned our in-hand work from the 'same school' and she decided to join the challenge after her rides at the National Dressage Festival. She commented to me that while it's similar to what she does, there were some variety in nuances that she was getting from Amelia's approach. Much of it goes along with what I've been taught and practice mostly in the saddle- you break things down into very tiny learning topics and as you get a right answer to each 'question or lesson' you then ask for more. The point is if you ask for more and they give the right response it makes less (what you really want in every-day work) easy and automatic. Of course, if you get stuck, you take things back down to the very earliest increment and go back to building from there. I think what I really like is that you don't reward for the wrong thing and timing in your reward is critical. I'm not going to get into a discussion as to whether or not Amelia Newcomb is the goddess of amateur dressage, but I have watched many of her videos and been able to learn from them. I don't take everything and use it but I do feel she offers an approach that works well for many horses.

I'm at a point with Junior that I'm determined to 'fix' the issue of supple. Both Molly and I think that this approach is helpful and won't hurt in that regard. Where I'm at with Brandon is that I don't want to have to work 'against' him like I've had to do with Junior and simply wish to train him to accept the bit and learn that it's more comfortable to be supple from the get go. Brandon is much more reactive and likely to rear or do naughty things than Junior; so, muscling Brandon through things until he gets it has a higher chance of ending poorly. I'm afraid that Junior is so bonded to me that I am able to get away with a lot and he simply just keeps trying. I will also add that in my defense, Junior's fire plug build makes getting him to accept that supple is easier and more comfortable a very difficult mountain to climb but we're getting there and I think the in hand exercises can only help.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:39 pm

I had this all written out yesterday and fell asleep with the chromebook in my lap :roll: . When I woke up, I hit submit and poof, it had signed me out due to the pause. Since I canceled the trip to Yellowstone (sick cat and Hades like temperatures), I decided to take part in the community yard sale. A lot of work for not much $$ but I freed up some space in my garage. The temperatures finally moderated before the yard sale (Friday & Saturday) so that was good. I had an MRI on my ailing hip yesterday…at 6:30am…no wonder I fell asleep in the evening. It is to check soft tissues. The joint is fine but a year of hobbling around and not being able to lay on my side (either side :P ) is enough :!: .

So Kyra had a mini vacation (3 days). I asked the BO if she was doing any better behavior wise and she said a little. She really doesn’t like her new neighbor so she has been spending a LOT of time on turnout which is fine. Movement is better. She does like feeding her in the hay nets and that keeps her busy for quite a bit longer so I ordered 3 so she can load all 3 (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at once. She has had 4 days of Nexium. I have her bags set up to complete 14 days of it. If there is no improvement in behavior, I will taper her off and consider plopping down the money to have her scoped. If she turns the corner, I will do the 28 days then taper.

Our air quality has been bad…really bad for several days now. Idaho is burning along with every neighboring state. I wanted to give Kyra a short easy work which I did. But as soon as we started trot and canter she started coughing. It isn’t abnormal for her to cough with the first trot work to clear her throat but that is usually a one and done thing. She was perky and energetic enough and I checked her temperature which was normal. It could be something the new horse brought in or it could be the smoke. So, she will be on walk only until the air clears up. Yes, should engage with the ground work theme. I have actually been riding this summer and it would be good to get back to some ground work. The smoke looks higher up today and we are supposed to maybe get some rain so I hope that helps it soon. The smoky air started a little later this year (last year was mid-July!) but it has been as bad over the last week as I can remember.

Going to look at cats tomorrow at one of the rescues. I guess I can’t stand a pet-less house. I’m looking for a chill adult that will get along with Mom. They have several prospects. Of course they are overrun with kittens but that is just a no with my circumstances.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:57 pm

Susan, apparently there is a vet up in Emmett that is good with ulcers and charges less for scoping. Maybe you know her, but if not, I can get the info from someone at my barn who used her.

Yeah, the weekend's air was Not Great. Yesterday I had a non-riding day and still spend about four hours at the barn getting Obie's feet soaked with Clean Trax, roaching his mane, cleaning his sheath etc. and then going through my tack trunks and sorting/cleaning.

Very glad the air was better this morning. Took the morning off work for lessons, and am still buzzing from that. Tesla is starting to sort out how to use her hind legs in the C/T transitions. We did a lot of trot LY then canter, CC loop, back to trot and repeat. Eventually she started to get it sorted out, and her canter is feeling better and better. My instructor said she is turning into a border collie with the work ethic, and she won't be surprised if we're schooling fourth by this time next year. Not that I am in a rush to get there, but she didn't say "This HORSE could be doing 4th by next year if you put her with a pro" so I felt like it was about my ability to get her there too.

With Annabelle we were trying to build the trot in SI, and suddenly A just POPPED her back up in a way she's never done before. Then she POPPED her back up again going into the canter. I couldn't quite get the same thing going to the right, but now I know the feeling, I'll be trying to create it more and more, for sure. We worked medium trot through the cavaletti, and more medium canter straight and on the circle. Our homework is to think of galloping while staying round, and leaving the collected canter alone for a while. We finished up with a few trot HP's, which keep getting better, but interestingly get a little disconnected to the left.

All very exciting and it's motivating me to keep working harder than ever.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:33 pm

SF…no I do not know that vet but will have you schuss out the info if I go that way. My animals have been quite a drain on the pocket book in the last 8 months :shock: so less $$ is a good thing. I am still not sure about ulcers. She really isn’t showing any fussiness with tacking up or riding but I know that doesn’t always mean anything. Liz said she got ‘angrier’ about 2 weeks ago which was before the new horse got here. The flies have been horrible (I have tried 3 different fly sprays…even Ecovet has done nothing) and it has been hotter than Hades so she has reason to be pissed anyway.

That is so good about your lessons. It is good that Ms T has figured out the work thing and exciting as you know the ability is there. I know that feeling of the back coming up and it is awesome. It is hard for these smaller, less elastic horses to get that quality. Who are you taking lessons from?

I did ground work this morning. We did elevated walk poles and I did do some trot and canter to see if the coughing was still there and nada…nothing.
I am thinking that yesterday she got something stuck and was having problems clearing it. The small hay net Liz was using hung the hay kind of high and I let her munch while I was grooming. Next time…no food pre-ride. I also ordered larger nets so the hay won’t be so high. We tried Jec Ballou’s pole straddle exercise. We did it twice and boy, did that take a lot of mental effort. She did it fairly readily with the fronts but the back feet were challenging. We finally got it. We will do it again soon and see if anything soaked in.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:10 pm

I'm still taking lessons with Danielle. She has moved over to Johann Hinnemann's now and is coming up once a month or so.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:52 am

Not much to report here. Chipping away at some basic stuff that needs addressing with my position and how I use my body--specifically, I'm way too tight in my hips and tend to clutch with my inner thigh, particularly on the right, and I'm blocking him. Made blindingly obvious today when trainer and I swapped back and forth during the ride. Sticky for me, effortless for her, better for me if I let go, which is really hard for me to do, both physically and mentally.

Sigh. You think you are making progress and some giant new subtlety comes and slaps you in the face...

This week will be pretty low key, so a good week to work on such things, as I have a clinic next weekend, which I am looking forward to.

Bivalent booster tomorrow afternoon, woohoo!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:02 am

I am also chipping away at things big and basic.

I've had a lot of work and travel interruptions to normal riding since mid-august.

MM has had a lot of inconsistent work, enough just to keep her from forgetting everything, but I'd really like to get our work back to normal, esp as we head into fall and hopefully her allergies get better.

RP has gotten a bit more riding attention, but not a lot. We've been struggling with our right lead canter, which used to be the better lead. He is getting tight and when I add leg he wants to get hoppy instead of moving through. If I stay on a straight line I can push him forward with my seat, but as soon as we get on a bending line we get hoppy again. Today i ran through 1-3 for the first time in ages and there is a LOT to clean up before regionals. I don't have high expectations going in, given my whole year was a showing bust, but I would still like to improve/clean up my movements as much as I can beforehand. I'm going to try to get RP on the lunge one day this week so I can watch what's going on with the right lead canter and either address it from the ground or at least better understand what needs addressing. Or, maybe I'll put him on the lunge and realize that I'm the one with the right lead canter problem!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:56 pm

exvet-that sounds like a wonderful exercise, I will try that with Mikey, maybe somewhere between Brandon and Junior. Supple with even contact in both reins, striving for all the good stuff. We are asking much more of him now. Getting the hind legs under, inside and outside, not slowing, smaller circles, transitions within the gaits, and he is really responding. I have to be really intentional in my rides that aren't lessons to keep up with the program. We have swapped sides, he is happier going to the right now and bends better in that direction and now doesn't want to bend through his ribcage going to the left if I'm not paying attention.

The fix-a-test was full so I didn't get to do that last week but did register for a schooling show on the 25th. And we have a mini-clinic with my instructor's trainer next Tues, Weds, Thurs at her place. I had an incredible lesson with her a few weeks ago and am really looking forward to it.

Mikey is building lots of muscle. We already had a saddle refitting and it hasn't even been 2 months. The saddle fitter was very surprised and thinks he's going to grow out of this saddle at some point. An actual new saddle (not a third 30 yo KN Symphonie) is on the radar fairly soon. I would also like a saddle where I have a solid place to sit, the Symphonie has a fairly flat seat that I can move around in a little too much. I rode in a Voltaire last winter on my substitute horse and loved it so it's a possibility. It worked on Mikey as well, gave him lots of freedom in the shoulder. I showed the saddle fitter and as much as she doesn't like foam panels, she agreed that he went well in it. And he's very hard to fit.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:32 am

From having no flying changes for most of Odin's 17 years, they've suddenly developed in fits and starts and spurts over the last year and a half. Yesterday in our jumping lesson we had changes every 2-3 strides on the circle, the more I tried to sit quietly and insist on true canter the more exuberant they became :roll: We have reached the point of ALL-the-changes-ALL-the-time (I'm pretty sure he would try and throw them in in walk and trot work if only he could figure out a way), or no-changes-at-all.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:28 am

It's taken me a bit to wrap my brain around my lesson from this weekend. We briefly discussed where I feel we are at prior to Regionals and what sort of struggle point we can dig into. I highlighted the right lead canter and it went an interesting place. We are to the point where I have a fair amount of poll/shoulder control and have the right hind leg but the left hind leg is moving up and down and does not move out to the left. Shown in the leg yield left as well. It certainly caused an interesting brain cramp as the right hind is almost over active to a point and the left hind is sort of out in no man's land.

So! Our homework to chip away at this:
Trot- shoulder-in right down the long side then walk at the corner and turn on the forehand off the right rein and right leg then repeat. If we get some good left hind stepping left steps then do center line to wall leg yield off the right leg and then land in shoulder-in right at the wall.
Canter- Oof, this is hard. Ride a square but the turns aren't piro steps instead use the right leg and right rein to tick the hind end over to the left. Sweeping that hind end left and repeat.

Just being mindful how hard this work is for her as we only have ~4 more rides before we leave for Regionals next week! Trying to schedule another lesson for this weekend but we shall see.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:09 pm

I totally get what you mean Aleuronx. My lesson this morning started out with opening the door to encourage Junior to abduct his right fore and use/place it properly. This is more of an issue for him at the walk/trot than the canter and not quite so dramatic as it is for Brandon. Then we were working on moving his shoulders in and out of the 20 meter circle at the canter riding true canter, counter canter switching between basically on a figure eight ie working on suppleness and not asking for or allowing a flying change, skip a change or anything else. Once we were done with that then it was working on Junior's second trot and keeping it through the lateral work. I was instructed to get 'the trot' then ask for a lateral move - SI, Traver, haunches out or half pass, counter SI, didn't matter - but to do so for only 3 strides and then get out of it with the goal of keeping the second trot for those three strides - lots of quick riding - by the time I was completing the third stride Junior would tire and scrunch up in the trot (regular working trot) so I would get the second trot back - rinse and repeat. All of this is my homework including counter canter right on the long wall getting his shoulders as close to the wall as possible so that I can work on his straightness at the canter too.................................lots and lots to not just wrap my mind around but challenging to both Junior's fitness and mine LOL> In other words, Junior's '8' second trot is the one where I WANT to post because it's so damn big; but, of course those core muscles have to just hold and allow my hips to absorb it.......yowza.....but at the same time so much fun!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:48 pm

Aleuronix, that canter exercise is one that has been burned into my brain over the last month or so--but also at a walk and a trot--making that sweeping turn but, crucially, keeping the forward at the same time. It has been very useful, both as an exercise to mobilize that right hind that would prefer to not, and also as a collecting without slowing exercise.

Exvet, we've been working on that "second trot" in the lateral work, too. Much to Potters' disgust. (His lack of desire to go forward and sideways is somewhat compounded by the fact that he's twigged that I've had to take my spurs off for a bit. When he did one of his "elevator going down and sideways" spooks the other day, I caught him with my spur and peeled some fur off. His own damn fault, and this time of year, he loses patches of delicate chestnut skin and hair when you look at him, but it still made me feel bad.)

I thought I had enough in the collected trot today until I started showboating and pushed for what I felt was a very acceptable medium across the diagonal to change direction, and my trainer said drily "Oh, good--there's your collected trot!"

To be fair, I think he's finding the new footing quite hard work. It's settling in, and a day of torrential rain yesterday helped hugely, but he's been working on fairly thin footing for the past 18 months or so at least. This is finally starting to develop spring and compact down so one is riding on top of it rather than wading through it, but it's a slow process.

However, the canter work is going really well and I seem to finally have worked out my forward and timing on my FCs so I am getting them at the stride I want them, not at some arbitrary point that he thinks he might respond. And less of the using them as an evasion for avoiding straightness.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:02 am

I had a lovely ride Wednesday. Just for kicks and giggles, I rode her in the titanium Fager bit again. I had thought I had taken it home but there it was on her PS of Sweden bridle. She was very quiet with her mouth. No tongue swallowing or wanting to spit the bit out. No matter what bit, it seems I can get one or two good works then she is done with the bit. I just don't know....I guess I will take the good work when we get it. We worked on trot and canter. I threw in some shallow serpentines to work in CC and did 2 serpentines with simple changes across X...especially working on straightness when she changes from right to left. It is getting better but still a bit wobbly. Then we did SI --> 10m circle -->HI then on the next short side we turned early and did half pass back to the rail. Both sides flowed fairly nicely. Then I would freshen the trot with posting trot on the short side and across the diagonal to repeat on the other rein. She did cough...unusually at the end of the ride. The smoke has been terrible and I think she definitely has some irritation going on. We are supposed to get some storms in the next few days so hopefully they are wet enough to scrub some of the air.

Today, I got there kind of late and it was partly a my pretty pony day with a good tail wash and bang then I put her on the lunge and we did a bunch of walking and trotting. I don't just do circles...in fact I try to avoid them...but I can't move fast enough. I use about 15ft of line and have her walk on the rail. When her shoulder gets past my shoulder, I step toward her tail and have her circle then back down the rail after the circle. I had her stand on her SureFoot pads while I groomed and brushed out her tail. We also repeated the straddle the pole exercise and it went better today. She still wants to cross her hinds over the pole but her missteps were smaller and easily corrected. That exercise demands a lot of patience and concentration.

I am beginning to think that Ms Kyra does have ulcers. She has been on the Nexium for a little over a week and for the last 3 days, she has been mellow with a capital 'M'. By the time I get her tacked up, I wonder if I have to pick her up and carry her to the arena :lol: . I have had to do a bit more work during warm up to get her humming along and that is usually how she was at the old barn. The BO wasn't around today for me to ask if she was being any less of a bitch to her neighbors. If she confirms that she is less aggressive, I will continue the Nexium for 28 days then taper.

I finally got an MRI on my left hip and according to the report I have a high grade tear of the gluteus minimus tendon. Boo, hiss. I need to make an appointment to talk to the doctor to see what getting that fixed entails. I guess that winter is coming and that might be the time to get it fixed or rehabbed now that we know exactly what the problem is. I don't recall ever having any acute issue with it. My tendons just seem to be sh**. I also have my trip to Iceland booked and being able to walk would be a good thing. We'll see...It is odd that riding does not bother it at all but I am glad. I would be very cranky if I couldn't at least ride.

Susan

blob

Postby blob » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:03 am

Kyras_mom-- nexium has been really effective for RP and so easy to feed. It cleared up his ulcers and it's what I still give as preventative when when going to shows. Hopefully it's helpful for Kyra as well. I hope your hip heals quickly!

Exvet, Aleu, and Mountaineer-- sounds like a lot of good and hard work. Thank you for sharing exercises, I'll be making use of many of them!
Last edited by blob on Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:10 pm

Brandon got his hind shoes today. He was a perfect gentleman which pleased my farrier. I schooled both tests on both horses getting ready for the schooling show tomorrow. It would seem that Brandon is handling being shod all the way around well - no interfering or forging (phew). Now it's time to pack the trailer after I clean my tack then spiff up the horses (though I think due to the horrendous flies I'm going to let Junior keep his mane for this one.....he'll look like a punk rocker but that's okay...........or Thelwell LOL). Hopefully I'm able to remember all my tests tomorrow. Today was the first time ever I've ridden this version of Third 3. Of course, this will be the one they likely change the most for next test cycle, right? LOL

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:37 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I thought I had enough in the collected trot today until I started showboating and pushed for what I felt was a very acceptable medium across the diagonal to change direction, and my trainer said drily "Oh, good--there's your collected trot!"

:lol: I had almost the same moment on A in my last lesson. Building and building the trot in SI, then straighten and keep pushing and Danielle says "there's your medium..." and I had a split second of mental celebration before she corrected and said "I mean your collected trot!" Darn.

Aleuronx, those sound like good exercises for A. Similar to what we've been doing, but I like the specifics you've got built in. Best of luck at regionals, I can't wait to hear all about it!

Yesterday the girls had chiro treatments. Bonus that the chiro is a vet, so she did a quick lameness check on Tesla, who has had a puffy spot on her LF for a couple weeks. She said keep working, but keep a close eye on it. Tesla has also sprouted quite a few skin tags over the summer, so she checked those out and thought they were more wart-adjacent than sarcoid adjacent and said I could try some frankincense oil on them as a can't hurt, might help procedure. The sarcoid in her ear is coming back again, so I'll have my regular vet check things out when she goes in to get the ear addressed. I'm just hoping to put it off until the flies die off. Chiro wise, she was good all through the saddle region, and just tight in a few ribs and the rear lumbar area. Annabelle was better overall than last time, which was good to hear as I've been increasing the intensity of work on her.

Training-wise, I jumped Tesla over some cross rails last night, and she didn't refuse anything, and seemed to enjoy it. I'm scheduling jumping lessons with the BO next week, as I will need her help to figure out stride distances for T, which will be huge compared to what I'm used to using for A. She is turning into quite a workaholic and seemed to like having me up in 2-point giving her a good gallop. My quads were talking about it this morning. :lol: It would be amazing to have a track to work her on.

After that had a really good ride on A using the work from our most recent lessons and really pushing for roundness and gallop in the canter, and building the trot in the SI and HI. We finished with using that building trot feeling in the HP and kept it more active than what I've gotten before. Last we did the same in canter and got a little more convincing HP. Hopefully we're on a good path towards having the jump needed to start thinking about flying changes in the not too distant future.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:26 pm

sigh, RP and I are on a bit of a struggle bus and I'm sure i'm to blame. Our right lead canter is a real mess right now. He feels so tight and stuck through the neck and the back and is getting super lateral, if I try to supple him, he swaps (either fully or just behind). So right now the canter to the right feels truly like chaos. I had planned to take him to a clinc (with the clincian who has been coming regularly) on oct 1-2 and then to regionals the following weekend. But now I'm wondering if it might be too much. Maybe I'll split my clinic rides and do MM one day to give RP a bit of a break. Or maybe he just needs to get this week off.

In other news, the barn has 2 yearling fillies who they just separated because they were starting to get a bit too attached to each other. So, they put one in with MM and RP, thinking MM would be a good boss mare for her. RP apparently made a big stink the first day to insist he was going to be number 2 in that pasture, while MM, confident in her boss status, ignored the running around. Now RP and the baby are best of friends. I think the filly is still learning social cues because MM has to give her frequent ear pinned 'no, we don't do that' looks when she tries to get too in her space. But she is learning quickly.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:06 am

Day 1 with Mette. Just sitting watching the video. If that poor woman has to say "let go of the left rein" "he's too bent" or "keep him straight" one more time, I may just have to take up knitting. There were quite a few "don't make it so complicated" as well.

Other than that, a pretty good session. The goal tomorrow will be to minimize these particular comments...

Return to “Dressage Training”