Freestyles?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Freestyles?

Postby blob » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:40 am

I'm debating putting together a first level freestyle for RP next year. I've never done one before, so I thought it might be a nice challenge to play around with one now at the lower levels so that I can gain some experience while at a level I still have some confidence with generally speaking.

So, I was hoping to get any advice or tips from those of you have done them before. I feel ok about trying to choreograph something that shows off our strengths and flows nicely, but I'm at a loss for the music part. For those who have done it--did you pick your own music or have someone help? Are there copyright restrictions on what music you can use and can't use?

Chisamba

Re: Freestyles?

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:56 pm

I put two different colored polos on Keas front legs. T did quite a lot of video and then I counted her beats in all three gaits.

Once I had a fairly good idea of her bpm I searched not copyrighted music in the same meter. Listened and tried to find inspiration for the required moves in the music.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:14 pm

I've been doing my own for 35 years. There are no restrictions on music. They settled the copyright a long time ago.

I listen to music I like and then start going through it, looking at a video of the horse. Sometimes I get it right away, and sometimes it takes days and days. I never do bpm. Sometimes a little slower or faster enhances the gaits better. You'd be surprised how even the same bpm makes the horse look very different. I have always listened to music where I feel the moves and created the ride to the music. I think it flows better than way. Quilla's present freestyle I did it the way most people do and created the choreography and then cut and paste the music to the choreography just to see. Eh.

I used to use Audacity to put it together, but now I use Garageband since it's on my Mac. It can be frustrating not to know h to do it all easily, but you can pretty much search and get videos on ho to do everything.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:54 pm

Thanks, Tanga. Part of the reason I want to do the first level freestyle is I figure this is a good way for me to learn how to do it, when it's a bit less overwhelming--fewer movements, etc. I hope some day I am doing upper level freestyles and if I get there, it'll be nice to have some freestyle experience already in the bag.

I also think given that RP is a pony, I can probably get away with some really fun music that.

That's good advice to think about picking the music and then doing the choreography, esp at this level. It will be easy, I think, to try to time some LYs and 10-meter circles when and where there are some variations.

I also need to talk to my trainer, who has been out of town since I've had this wild idea, ha. I know he has done freestyles in the past, but not sure if he has done them himself or had someone help him, either way he might have some thoughts on next steps. He'll also def have some thoughts on how to show off our strengths and hide our weaknesses!

Return to “Dressage Training”