In hand/groundwork ideas

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

In hand/groundwork ideas

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:35 pm

Since I am slowly bringing Lynx back into work (riding only once or twice a week w/t), I was hoping to get some more ideas for groundwork and in handwork.

He's not a horse that seems to love groundwork although that might be coming from our communication or something. I'm kind of looking at something that can engage his mind as well as his body. I just ordered a nice looking lunge Cavesson as I don't think the halter or bridle was doing it.

We need to stay away from small circles but I would think most things are okay at the walk in small bits.

Today I did some hand walking, backing and turn on the haunches in hand. Afterwards I gave him a massage, did his stretches, then let him play with the giant ball in the indoor. He has always been terrified of that ball but had not investigated it up close. He absolutely loved it and pushed it around quite a bit. So stuff like that might be fun for him to do.

heddylamar

Re: In hand/groundwork ideas

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:43 pm

I treat Maia and Anz like big dogs, and take them along for my runs. It’s never a very productive run for me, but they get out on the trail, see frightening things, and pick up their feet over logs, rocks, uneven footing, etc. And they have to be on their best behavior.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:02 am

Yes I definitely plan on taking him into the field a lot more! Such a nice way to get out and about.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:35 pm

Set up a tiny obstacle course -- I don't mean things he necessarily has to go over, but things he has to go through and between and work on sending him. Meaning--don't lead him through, but send him through via a line.

I also teach all my horses to stop when I stop, no pressure on the lead and back up when I back up, again no pressure. Teaching them to move with you shoulder is both easy and useful and a good foundation for other ground work

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:27 pm

blob wrote:Set up a tiny obstacle course -- I don't mean things he necessarily has to go over, but things he has to go through and between and work on sending him. Meaning--don't lead him through, but send him through via a line.

I also teach all my horses to stop when I stop, no pressure on the lead and back up when I back up, again no pressure. Teaching them to move with you shoulder is both easy and useful and a good foundation for other ground work

Great idea Blob. He seemed to really enjoy the working equation clinic we did so I certainly should try setting up different obstacles.

We are working on the backing with no pressure. He's not great at it so there is plenty to do there. He doesn't give to pressure as well as I wish. I think that's kind of a hole from his early training. He was started by a rough cowboy type and I think it was more intimidation than actual learning going on as far as giving to pressure or anything like that! I think that might be part why he hates groundwork. There's a disconnect there for him. I just need to figure out fun ways to teach him without drilling or nagging.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:48 pm

I've been trying to be conscious and how I ask and what I ask during our groundwork. Lynx obviously finds some of it either hard or boring. So I'm asking for less at a time and giving breaks and lots of scratches. He's so badly wants my attention and I've noticed I don't play with him as much as I have with other horses. As in I'm working him and going towards some type of goal or obedience. I'm trying to incorporate more time just being with him at least once a week. Either just letting him roam in the arena following me or simple grooming with nothing else.

I've also been following the Facebook group NoBackNoHorse which is basically all about in hand exercises. To me they seem very classical and honestly fairly basic. But good to do. Have not started as I do feel I need a lunge Cavesson to properly do it. I ordered one but it will not be here until almost Christmas! I might just get one of the cheap nylon ones in the meantime and see if that can work for small things.

airliner2009
Greenie

Postby airliner2009 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:55 am

In-hand work is fantastic! It seems very minute but it is an art form. The connection that you have with your horse during this work is incredible. This is a great article that I reference all the time. I recommend working through these exercises and keeping exercises one and two as a foundation. In-hand work does not have to last long and remember to keep it fun for the horse by being patient and rewarding often.

I started to do in-hand work consistently with my guy in the winter when it was too cold to do anything but he needed some mental stimulation. He also enjoys being turned loose in the indoor before and after we do the in-hand work ;)

As far as gear goes, I use a leather cavesson and a bridle headstall for the bit. I don't have a proper in-hand line so I use one rein instead because I prefer the connection and feel that I get through a rein as opposed to a nylon lunge line with a snap connector piece. I was taught to use leather or leather with rubber donuts side-reins for in-hand work and to connect them to outer rings of the cavesson; but if the side-reins are not long enough to reach the cavesson without compressing the neck, then connect to the bit. I have a short lunge line that I use because a lunge whip is too long and a dressage whip is too short.

Good luck and have fun!

khall

Postby khall » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:24 pm

Lsp this is who I learned in hand work from. There is so much work you can do with the horse in just the bridle.

https://www.naturaldressage.com/product-category/dvd/

I rarely use a caveson unless I am working with a very green horse or lunging.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:54 pm

Thank you guys! We are definitely learning and exploring!

Return to “Dressage Training”