Riding goals for The long night and Freezing moon months

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Aleuronx
Herd Member

Re: Riding goals for The long night and Freezing moon months

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:11 pm

Oh Moutaineer that is nightmare fuel! Sounds worth having a fitter check it over, but ugh what a disaster poor Potter's saddle.

Had a lovely ride in 21F this morning, heck yea. Some canter halfpass steps so easily each way, just giggled the entire time.

Happy Solstice guys!

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby blob » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:49 am

Fingers crossed the saddle is ok, Mountaineer!

I have time off from work, so I've been trying to take advantage of it with horse things, but it's been on and off rain so lots of wet.

Yesterday I took MM out to the xc field and lunged her over some of the smaller fences that were in dry spots just for fun. She seemed to really enjoy herself and I think I might make playing with the xc fields at liberty/on the line as part of the routine. Today we did fitness work. My goal right now is to be, as Chisamba put it, her physical therapist and get her fit fit fit so she can better handle any breathing challenges. We did a long hack with 2 5-minute trot sets and 2 1-minute canter sets in the mix. I think we will stay at this level, perhaps alternating some days with more canter, less trot until it gets a lot easier for her.

RP and I snuck in a lesson before my trainer heads to FL. We really worked on me getting centered through my core and being able to use my core effectively without carrying over tension into my upper body or arms. So a lot of rider focus, but as a result I was able to get a much more effective half halt in our trot work for a stride that felt open, lofty, and forward but also slow with good cadence. But it did take a lot of work. We used that trot to improve the LY and really getting that feeling of picking it up and putting it over. We had some really nice moments and my abs are still burning, ha.

Like much of the country, we have a cold snap coming in late this week/over the weekend. On Friday our high will be in the teens, very unusual for GA!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:19 am

exvet wrote:I've been working on using mostly my seat to ride,...So the real message in all this is that while I've been good with my hands in the past, I can't seem to walk and chew gum at the same time. I mean I started focusing on other aspects of my riding and the rest goes to hell in a hand basket.......only to realize that something else has slipped and on and on and on....

After my two recent clinics and regular rides with my trainer in between I came to the realization that I am now trying to ride at a level where I really need to rely less on my hands. I also would have said I am good with my hands but that mostly meant they are fairly independent and I don't hang on my horse. But I do rely on them or go to them like a safety blanket. As we try to learn the tempis I realized I pull on his mouth because I'm afraid he'll get too strong/forward otherwise. Or I try to use my hands and reins to get him to collect into the pirouette canter. Definitely something I want to work on this winter.

My horse left a week ago for Florida so no more progress for us this month. He's settling in at the trainer and I'll celebrate the holiday with family and then join him on Jan 1. Dropping him off at the airport was an experience! Although next time I'd just hire someone to do it - very early morning, took a long time, a bit hectic and nerve-wracking. Fun to have been there once, but next time I'll just see him off from the barn.
Last edited by zevida on Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:17 am

Ooh snow pics! Usually it's hot as anything here when I start seeing snow pics but we've been quite cool. I'm still wearing jumpers. I think it finally warms up next week.
Demi, great to hear from you! I really like hearing your updates with Besa. As always, massive hugs for your loss of DH. Pretty nice Besa looking after you with her spook! Mine don't care LOL.
Mountaineer - oh your poor saddle!! :shock:

I had a bit of realisation recently with my riding. It was after my instructor rode and I felt my horses afterwards and she mentioned that Norsey drops his back in transitions and felt it was the saddle pinching him in those moments. I had the saddle fitter out and she couldn't see that the rails were pinching and if we changed to a wider or flatter tree type, it would be worse. She did add a pad and widened the gullet slightly to make me happier!

But, I started to analyse my riding and what I've been doing is letting them drop away in those moments of transitions - between gaits, between movements etc. Norsey has been especially difficult with trans in/out of piaffe. I've had instructors say he needs to push more behind but it's that spot under my thigh around the skirt of the saddle through to the base of the neck just in front of the wither. I've been letting that drop away, maybe in an effort to be light and in Norsey's case, not to upset him too much.

Anyway, I've kept a bit of video playing with this in the little transitions between walk/piaffe, trot/walk/halt. Keeping that base of the neck 'full' and yes Norsey does get a bit upset and short in the neck/BTV etc, but i'm hoping in a few months time it will be more normal for us.
It may not make sense or show much to anyone else because I don't have 'before' video, but his muscle is definitely finally building up in those spots.

https://youtu.be/m4Vj_93L0_I

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:40 pm

Moutaineer, I hope your saddle is OK!

Demi, good to hear from you, and it sounds like it will do your heart good to have Besa at home. It sounds like she is just good as gold.

Flight, Norsey has always been a hunk, but wow, he is a thick boi. Nice to see how relaxed he is going in and out of the piaffe work.

Last night I hauled T out to ride and she was a pro too. The arena wasn't as chaotic, but someone was teaching a group lesson to 5-6 people (maybe rent the arena for that size group? I'm thinking, but oh well). So I was kind of stuck riding around on the rail in whatever direction they were going. Another lady who rides there a lot showed up with her hot reiner mare who was out in the tie area rearing and spinning around, so it was a good test for T to stay on task and learn to ignore the shenanigans (I've been around this pair enough to know she can handle the mare's business). Eventually the lesson people cleared out so we got to touch on trot HP and spool up some big canter mediums. I'm pretty excited to show her lengthening/mediums because she can already get going and come back without a problem. She was also very nice in our ride night before last in the little indoor, and is much more able to bend right with less falling in. We are even managing some canter transitions without diving in. I think the two sessions of kinesiotaping are really helping her. Tomorrow she'll get a chiro treatment and then we plan to tape her back and belly again, unless the chiro vet advises something else. She has seemed pretty sore in her abs, and the way she's kicking up at her belly I am tempted to get her scoped, but OTOH, she is working better and better, so maybe it is run of the mill muscle soreness.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:40 pm

You can see him coming up and widening under your seat, Flight.

(Nice to hear birds and summer noises in the background :))

Too darned cold to ride today. Going to go finish my Christmas errands after lunch when the roads have thawed a bit instead.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:33 pm

Temp was 54 at 9 this morning when I rode, and now, 4 hours later, it’s 28. It’s forecast to drop to 12 tonight, which for this part of TX is unusual. Brrr. I just put on my insulated pants to go out and clean the barn.

Norsey looks good, Flight. Thanks for posting that.

Watching the vid made me think of the contact/connection discussion. I personally like the lighter feel. But it seems to be such a personal thing. I have to go back and read the recents posts again as I only skimmed them the first time. Some of what I picked up though, resonated with me. I have some thoughts on how different the connection appears with the different types of rider/trainers.

I have to clean the barn now, and then set up the wood stove in the house in case we lose power later. After that, it will be a good time to stay inside an think about dressage :-)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:45 pm

Demi, I have realized that I DO not like keeping my horse at home. I seem to ride less and worth less focus. I was happy to hear your ' voice ' and hope you and Besa continue to take care of each other.

Moutaineer I remember with horror when my horse went down wearing my new saddle and scratched it. Ugh. I hope yours can be restored to almost pristine.

Exvet, I'm very comfortable bringing horses from green through fourth bit fm I realize I need to sharpen my own ability to refine my aids and the correct response to them to get my scores for PSG.

Flight, so interesting to read how you are experimenting with perhaps a bit stronger contact to get the back through the base of the neck. It sort of goes along either my suggestion to do the opposite.

I am currently not up to enough riding time to manage my beasts and my clients. Days are too short and get too cold too. quickly.

I am happy the solstice has come and gone.

Susan I taught horses all kinds of tricks when I was experimenting with clicker training . I'm sure you will have fun

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:45 am

Another lesson and another 45 minutes or so being chased with the lunge whip. We had a brief discussion on where the issue truly lies and that is Junior is simply behind my leg, not sucked back but simply not the degree of forward needed for better scores and the solidification of the flying changes. While he powers up for me the difference made with having the lunge whip chasing him is absolutely eye opening. What I thought was power was just puff until today. While Molly was riding Junior she was able to get him to sign up to the task of being hot off the leg. With me, we've had one of those long comfy marriages and Junior simply doesn't want to try anything new................so the only incentive it seems is the big scary whip coming from behind. Thoughts on how to remake or remold the ultimate energy conservationist and be as efficient as possible pony are most welcome ;)

khall

Postby khall » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:10 am

Mountaineer oh no! I distinctly remember the feeling I had watching Juliet fall over sideways from a big spook with my brand new expensive saddle on. Thank goodness it was just dirty and not scratched. Hope your saddle is ok. Just horrifying.

Chisamba I’m not getting much done here either. Too much to care for with wet rain and now cold. Though not your cold at least not until tomorrow. We are having a wet winter. Very British like damp cold and light rain. And now super cold with wind chills in the single digits.

Demi it’s good to hear your progress with Besa. I fully understand the feeling of big spook but Besa takes you with her. That is exactly how I’ve described Joplin’s spooks. Big but she never unseats me. They are fairly rare too. The try in these Iberians is just humbling. After so many years riding WBs I still just pinch myself at how Joplin approaches her work. Gaila is good too but still Joplin is at another level of try.

I don’t know what I would do if my horses were not at my farm. Have had my own farm first my parents then DH and I for almost as long as I’ve had horses. What I have trouble with is the amount of work involved in upkeep and care. For example last weekend was fine to ride but DH and I spent it scrubbing barn from top to bottom. It’s an 11 stall barn lots of cleaning was done. Now the weather has shifted which meant preparation has been the theme this week

I was thinking of starting a thread on contact etc. will try to in a few days.

One thing I found interesting last clinic was working on Joplin trying to get her even lifting her front legs playing with passage steps. She initially wanted to lift the R higher now she’s lifting the L higher with the work I’ve played around with. So Cedar was working on her front legs in a small trot. From the focus of targeting the front legs with the whip to get elevation Joplin was giving some very nice piaffe steps. They were a little more forward but especially more lift in the front. Joplin also offers canter in hand with targeting the front at the elbow. Joplin has no problem being active behind but she can get a bit over her front legs not allowing them to come up to level. Asking for the front does encourage that much activity in the front and the hind end remains active because the hind legs are coming with the front. The whole picture changes.

Anyway stay warm and safe! Have a great Christmas

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:15 am

Mountaineer, I hope your saddle is OK.

I had a oh, damned…the saddle episode once. Problem, it wasn’t my saddle. I had a young horse who I had shown locally a couple times. Both shows were low key and she handled them well. We decided to make our first bigger show out of town. Hauled 5 hours. Apparently I didn’t do enough homework to find out that warm-up space was rather limited at this venue. I borrowed my friend’s Kieffer since I was on the search for a new saddle. Our ride times were far enough apart that we could both use the saddle.

I the warm-up, my youngster was really bothered every time a horse passed her going the opposite way. I found a circle off to the side where one woman was warming up a nice calm QH and I asked if we may join her and she said yes. I thought my mare was starting to relax when boom, she stopped dead in her tracks and went straight in the air. Something she had never done before (never even a hint of a light front end) and never did again…I made sure of that. Can you say leg? Anyway, I was afraid she was going over backwards and gave a mighty tug on the right rein and she fell over on her side. She jumped up without me and headed straight back to the trailer except that some well meaning guy, jumped in front of her waving his arms. She was on pavement covered with some loose gravel and down she went again…sliding on her side about 10 feet before jumping up and going straight to the trailer where my friend caught her. I was OK…my thigh was bruised but nothing broken. I got back to the trailer and my friend asked me how I was. I said fine…how is your saddle? Not how is the horse. This was 35 years ago or so but all I could think of was having to replace her (then) $2000 saddle.

Now to the horse…the first fall was in a grassy area. However, the second fall resulted in a bunch of road rash. The show vet wouldn’t come to the show (grrr) so I had to haul her to his clinic. That is fun taking an adrenalin soaked horse to a strange place. She promptly got some happy juice. She has a couple deeper gouges on one hind at the coronet band he was worried about and he ended up fishing about 1/4 cup of gravel and sand out of her chest. It made a weird little pocket between the skin and muscle. The chest got flushed and stitched up and the rest (shoulder, forearm, hip, hock and hoof) were just cleaned well.
Our show was over. When we got back, my friend’s gelding was absolutely psychotic because his girlfriend had left in such a rush. He never calmed down because the way the stalls were, he couldn’t see her. So to cut our losses and still having living horses, we packed up and came home. I was able get her back in the show ring successfully a couple months later at an out-of-town show no less.

The saddle…when she fell and slid, the flap flipped up so the only marks were underneath the flap :!: I couldn’t believe it. Kyra shook off one of my saddles once when a B-52 horse fly went after her while I was walking around her to do up the girth. She dumped it right in the gravel. Yeah, it had a few marks. I worry more about the cosmetic appearance of my saddle that I do my face :lol: .

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:44 pm

It is actually 1 ( -17 C ) and feels about 20 (-28 C ) degrees colder. It's truly crispy. ( walking on broken glass) . My dog decided going outside was not an.option. grrr.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:18 pm

7 degrees here with wind-chill of -10. And sadly we're not equipped for this, so I have a frozen hot water pipe. Was planning to ride today and am instead trying to see if I can thaw this thing myself or if I need to call a plumber. Sigh.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:45 pm

Today is 37! And sunny but the last couple of nights have been 11 and the freeze broke a pipe in the barn. I’ve had to haul water from the house to the barn (about 1000 feet) twice a day for the last two days. I have several 6 gallon carboys and a nice Gorilla cart which is helpful. I really can’t complain because we don’t have any snow or ice.

No riding for a few days. But after the holidays I plan to get back to it, and also to write on this board about it. I’m starting to get excited about riding on my own at home. The plan is to bring Besa home on the 29th and haul her back to lessons 2 or 3 times a month. My trainer mentioned that it will be harder to ride at home because I dont have an indoor arena, but I managed to ride Rocky at home all last winter. I was able to average 4 days a week in spite of the weather.

I havent had Rocky in a regular program since I got Besa in May/June. I have ridden her occasionally but mostly on trail. She seems very content with the situation but Im wondering what she’ll think when she sees me riding Besa 5 days a week. I may start her back. It depends a lot on how energetic I feel. Taking care of a 94 year old mother as many of us know, is quite time and energy consuming. She’ll be with me until March or April and then go back to Michigan. I’ll just have to take things as they come and hope that I can manage to ride two horses.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:07 am

Well, merry christmas all DDBB bods! Sorry to hear of the winter struggles, especially with the big US storm this weekend, keep safe you guys... I'm happy to have gone out for my christmas ride this morning, on a gorgeous mild summer day, and managed to get the 2 horses (didn't take Connor, maybe this afternoon...) into the sea for the first time!! Such fun.

20221225_carlo-sml.jpg
20221225_carlo-sml.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 11765 times

20221225-bram-beach2-sml.jpg
20221225-bram-beach2-sml.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 11765 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:47 am

Ann how lovely. I used to have a beach ride every Christmas when we lived in SA. We had a 5 acre plot at Hamburg ( it may have changed name, the mouth of the Keiskama river. And spent 2 months there every Christmas. You.just brought back the loveliest memory. Happy Christmas, happy holidays to all

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:37 am

Merry Christmas everyone! I feel guilty about having absolutely gorgeous weather here for the last few days. I have spent some of the time alternating trail riding with arena work with all of the boys. My daughter is coming tomorrow to go trail riding. Then it's supposed to turn rainy and cold. Let me tell you I'm not complaining. Seeing the Nation's weather map tonight makes me grateful to be in the desert. Hope the holidays are good to all of you!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:57 am

exvet wrote:Merry Christmas everyone! I feel guilty about having absolutely gorgeous weather here for the last few days.

And you have crazy heat in the summer — there are tradeoffs!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:17 am

Gorgeous pics Anne! How fun!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:00 pm

Anne, that looks like so much fun!

I hope everyone is staying warm and enjoying a nice holiday.

Tomorrow we are going to start to see temps above freezing, and then some rain on Monday, so hopefully all the snow will come off the arena roof in one day. T does not take kindly to the building making noises, but A doesn't care, so I'm trying to plan my rides accordingly.

The chiro saw the girls on Friday and A was pretty much 100%, just a little tightness in the trapezius which released, so the vet thought it had more to do with being a little foot sore from the frozen ground, rather than anything with saddle fit. T had a few more things going on, namely some soreness in the neck and being more tight/hard on the right side of her back as compared to the left. She suggested putting her on a water soluble vitamin E to see if that helps with some of her muscle tightness, so I have that on order. Afterwards she got taped again, right along the bladder meridian to hopefully help release her back. Yesterday she worked really well under saddle and really starting to jump uphill into the canter. She is also continuing to bend better to the right. I'm excited about the progress she'll make in the next six months if some of these tweaks make her happier to go to work each day.

Last night everyone kind of descended on our ride time so I had to make do on my ride with T, but then they cleared out during A's warmup, so I was able to do a productive RideiQ lesson with Jon Holling with some spiraling in/out, SI and CC. I just really enjoy the methodical format of his rides and how he talks through it. He has some pretty useful heuristics for some of the aids, and sprinkles in good reminders on position. The lesson last night he includes "look over your horse's outside ear" as part of the canter aid. So simple and A gave me probably her best T/C transitions with less effort on my part. I've probably heard this before and forgot, but riding through it in real time I was shocked at how much the little tweak made a difference. Hopefully I'll have the arena to myself today and ride T through the same lesson. Today with A I'll try it as we revisit the simple changes on the circle that need more cleanup before we go forward with other FC prep exercises.

But first, off to start the Christmas baking!
Attachments
Mare-Y Christmas.jpg
Mare-Y Christmas.jpg (98.36 KiB) Viewed 11714 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:54 pm

Kyra's mum - :o with those falls, lucky about the saddle.
Demi, be good to hear more of your updates with Besa
Anne, great photos!
SF, interesting with that canter aid, I'm going to try and remember to give it a go.

It's hard to imagine -17ºC. We get down to -5 or so but that's it. We are now up to 30ºC and I spent xmas day before nightshift in the pool, which was lovely. Would have been better with a gin and tonic, but someone has to work, I guess :|

I've seen some pics of snow storms in the US. Hope everyone is ok.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:17 pm

Productive ride this morning, refining lateral work which is giving us a much more active and through trot. It really is lovely to sit once you get some elastic "boing" going, and its so much easier to get the movements from.. And we are starting to get some real jump and expression in the canter. Trainer is making PSG noises. I'm pointing out that I'd really just like to get down centerline at third first, please!

I will be heartily glad when all the construction is done in the indoor.. There is a deadline. Melissa Creswick is coming in to teach a clinic in 3 weeks. Observation deck and mirrors are supposed to be installed and finished by then. We shall see...

Warmer today, but I think its just the warm before the next storm kicks in. I'm taking the week off work so I really want to be able to get to the barn and back in one piece.

Still battling the damn scratches. I'm off to do some research.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:40 pm

Moutaineer, my vet , before he retired, sold an ointment that is really good on scratches and his secret is simply that unless you culture it's difficult to know what you have and if there is a secondary infection, so he uses a combination of antibacterial and antifungal ointments with DMSO which is essentially a carrier that helps the ointment penetrate beyond the scabs. So now I do the same. Triple antibiotic plus ketoconozole plus thuja oil with DMSO.

I also had a productive morning riding. It was cold but I was able to ride four and then Kimba.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:17 am

Mountaineer that cool, well not everything else but that you've got Melissa coming for a clinic. When we went to the Carl Hester clinic in San Diego we got a table and I invited Melissa to sit with us. Thank dog I did because the sound system was total shit for about half the clinic so Melissa filled in and gave us running commentary. She saved the day and I learned a ton!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:50 am

Quelah... oh yes, I remember it well!

Shes coming to give us the low down from a judges perspective on the new tests, amongst other things. It should be useful. I rode with her last year and found her helpful, if a little terrifying. However she was encouraging and liked my horse :)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:32 pm

I wish you all well during the season, through holidays, cold/freezing temps or heat!

It has been quite a period of winter in E Tennessee US. Nothing like elsewhere in the US, of course, but we are grateful to be through several days of very low temps. Yesterday, we got a little snow--which is unusual for us. I happened to be out riding when the snow started, so Emi and I had the fun of cantering in the fields in the snow. She was an angel and now has a new nickname, "snow unicorn." :D Today we just rode in the slushy ring (melting snow), but she was again very good about finding a solid gear and motoring along. Yes, she startles/spooks at everything new and takes a sensitive approach to unlocking her power, but I adore this dear mare.

I am delighted to hear of your learning and plans for Besa, Demi. I think it will bring you joy to have her home. That said, I love my boarding barn more than ever after this week! They did all the things to keep 50 horses happy and well during a deep freeze. Now only ~20 horses are left on site as the rest have gone to Florida for the winter. It is quiet, but also very peaceful. The average age in Emi's barn is now well over 20!

I am still thinking about another horse but am not making moves since Emi is thriving on steady, reasonable work (and I am only 1 person with a job that gets in the way to do more than 1 horse). Maybe later!

Wish you all much joy, progress, insight and learning on your dressage journeys in the year to come.

p.s. I believe the photo shows Emi's POV of my praise!
IMG_3709.jpeg
IMG_3709.jpeg (233.8 KiB) Viewed 11584 times

demi

Postby demi » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:13 am

I am really, really enjoying the recent pictures. Piedmont and Emi, Anne and her beach horses, the chestnut girls in their holiday hats, Kora in the snow. I feel like I know the people and horses on this board as others have said in the BB relevancy thread, and seeing those pics honestly warms my heart.

I will post one of my own and hopefully others will post some more casual pics (hint). My pic is of me, Uno, our old rescue gelding, and my dear friend who took the selfie just about a year ago. She is 40 now and Ive known her since she was 14. She learned to ride on my horses and we had a lot of fun with horses for many years. She and her husband have lived in NY for the last 10 years but they will be moving back to my town in mid February. It will be so nice to have her back. We are looking forward to some nice trail rides with Rocky and Besa.
1F7CD4F1-5434-43D6-8119-4AB94855D4D9.jpeg
1F7CD4F1-5434-43D6-8119-4AB94855D4D9.jpeg (134.82 KiB) Viewed 11563 times

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:13 pm

It is so nice seeing so many people truly enjoying their horses. These threads are my favorites precisely because of that feature: real people really enjoying their time with their horses (through both the ups and the downs). Thanks for sharing, everybody!

We're closing in on the end of another year, somehow-- where did the time go?? -- and here in TX we're finishing the year up with some typically unseasonable warmth. Nearly 80F today after last week that saw lows in the teens and highs in the 30s. Good to get 3/4ths of the seasons' weather knocked out in a 2-week stretch.

I took 2 weeks off work and, mid-way through week 2, am finally decompressed enough to enjoy it. Taking lots of lessons, riding every day, and thinking about goals and aspirations for 2023. The 2022 retrospective feels pretty good:
- Lost 15 lb (regained 4, thanks to a combination of travel, stress, and holidays Oct - Dec)
- Debuted Queso at 2nd level with scores to 65%
- Debuted Queso at western dressage with truly incredible scores to 73+%
- Solidified flying changes -- to the point that I got (on purpose, even) 2 clean 1-tempis
- Learned that I have gotten my canter work at least a level above my trot work (scores of 7-7.5 for canter; 5.5 - 6.5 for trot; difference is almost entirely due to the balance & collection)
- Actually went to a show again

Wishing all a very happy new year-- and see you again in 2023.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:35 pm

Wow, that is an awesome recap Ponichiwa! I so enjoyed your earlier photo of the not so big cheese. He is wonderful.

I also agree that while I love fabulous training and show shots, what is special about this group is the deep affection and commitment folks express to all stages of their horse's lives and development. The casual shots are great for that! (thanks, Demi!)

I'm also glad you, P, are getting real downtime. I'm taking about 15 days "off" (aka just a few hours of online work per day) this time of year, too. Not my holiday but happy to take advantage of folks being more chill. It is very helpful for letting go and preparing for the next thing(s)!

khall

Postby khall » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:26 pm

So I love my Hildago Spanish saddle so much and my Dynamic saddle is just not working well for Joplin now that I decided to try the hildago leather tree dressage saddle. They aren’t a very pretty saddle but pretty inexpensive comparatively and I got it on sale so I went for it. I’ve ridden 3 times in it cantered for first time today ( other rides were very short running out of daylight w/t only) omg it’s the bomb!!! Joplin is offering to canter! I can sit the canter with ease!! So freaking excited! I love the idea of a leather tree. Love love the Spanish saddle and both my mares go well in it. So yeah!!

Now to sell the Dynamic. It’s a beautiful saddle and very well made but not right for Joplin now that she comes up so much in her carriage.

The leather tree dressage saddle
https://hugyourhorse.com/products/phoenix-special

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:10 am

That is awesome Ponichiwa!

We've been actually having 'weather' here too; so, much so that my arena is too wet to ride in at least for yesterday and today. I did get to at least ride Junior in another lesson this morning. I haul him to a place with a covered arena. We worked on basically legs off and if I touched him with the leg at all he was to act like it was an electric spark. So basically very forward trot and very forward canter was the entire lesson and if he didn't give either promptly then we galloped. In between the blast of forward all the way around the arena, the goal was then to ask him to soften to each rein individually and then accept the contact riding into it without powering down at all......if he did then the 'electric' pop with the leg was used and away we went. We also did flying changes with a very forward canter, absolutely no collection or preparation other than asking for some suppleness to what was going to be the new inside rein/leg just before I gave the request for the change of lead. This definitely seemed to prevent the skip a change.

Since putting Junior on a supplement high in omega 3s and the 2 week course of antihistamine I have noticed a huge difference in his stamina and 'lack of noise' when breathing. I stopped the antihistamine once we started getting the winter rains because our pollution index had decreased some. I'm considering getting a nebulizer for the poor air quality days because I do think the mucus production from the pollution has had a lot to do with the louder breathing. I also, as I've known with the others who came before, have a horse [Welsh Cob] who when ridden up and open, accepting the bit and riding into the proper contact has an easier time breathing than when tense and basically 'crunching' down on his airway. Then when you add the sucking his tongue when he gets frustrated, well there just isn't much airway left. There will be no cheating on this horse.

fireantranch
Greenie

Postby fireantranch » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:19 pm

I joined the Equisarte Winter Warm Up Challenge, after having done the No Stirrup November Challenge which did a world of good for my seat.

Goal: to do 25 rides, not just work sessions, and some of them being without stirrups.

Goal: Canter departs solidified on Kaylee.

Goal: Getting Sierra legged up in preparation for more actual riding in preparation for our Century Club ride in 2024.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:20 pm

Last day of the year! I'll probably just lunge the girls tonight because everything is now waterlogged and they won't be seeing turnout for a bit.The cold I had in November really dragged on with fatigue and brain fog to the point that I wonder if I actually had Covid. Then it got cold and stayed cold up through last week. Given all that, this period didn't turn out too badly for the three of us.

Self:
Get over this blasted cold!Ugh; took longer than expected.
Finish DRT 2 - Very close. I finished week 11 of 12, but the yoga has been difficult, so I'm going to repeat and finish it up in January.
Run 1x a weekNo. The illness, and then the weather, prevented that. I'm planning to go out for the first time this morning.
Don't go too off the rails diet-wise. We have my and DH's birthday in the mix as well as the holidays.Not awful, could be better. I just weight myself and I'm only up a pound or two.
Really focus on keeping my seat deep in the saddle, in particular keeping my right thigh down and on consistently.Yes, I think I'm getting better with my leg and overall sitting a little better.

Annabelle:
Someone may be coming to look at her this week, so who knows.
With the idea of selling her in the next 8-10 months, I'm thinking a little more about making her an easier ride with what she knows, rather than pushing the envelope as much. OTOH, if I do keep her through next summer, it would be great to start changes with her, so I'm a little conflicted.I do think A is getting to be an easier ride - lighter in the bridle, and it has been a long time since she's done one of her pogo spooks.
Jump 1x per week while we can ride outdoors. Weather did not allow. I think we got 1 or two jump sessions in November
Take her to the winter jumping show in December and try the 2'.It was too cold, and lack of ability to school
We've also been working on simple changes on a circle and half steps and generally solidifying the 2nd level work.

Tesla:
Start riding in the indoor 1x per weekLOL, no choice there. She is cantering pretty well in the indoor
Jump 1x per weekSame as A. She did get to where she seemed to be enjoying jumping
Keep working on adjustability in the trot and canterYes. Not much canter adjustment we can do in the small indoor, but I've been hauling her out and when I get enough runway in that big indoor, we do some mediums and forward/back.
For me, keep working on sitting the trot part of each ride. Yes, but I need to up my game. I got weak being sick, and I'm just string to feel like I'm getting back to where I was at the end of October. Got a little flocking added to the front of her saddle and I think it's putting me in a better balance.
Keep the reins short and keep her honestly stepping into the contact.We get there a little sooner each ride, but it is still a work in progress. I'm going to try my Fager mullen mouth on her again and see if it's different than when I first tried it six or so months ago.
We also have been playing with trot HP, and she is getting much more consistent in her right bend and canter departs. Someone at my barn has been doing kinesiotaping on her and it seems to be making a world of difference.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:33 pm

2022 is ending with a bit of whimper for me. My mom has been diagnosed with cancer and things are bit, well, sucky. There is a lot going on but trying to keep the barn as sanctuary. I feel very lucky to have such supportive barn family.

Section Goals:
-Rider fitness of some variety (yoga? bike? weights? workouts?) Sigh, adding this to 2023
-As many lessons before trainer leaves for FL Well done to myself, we had some of the most fun lessons ever before she left
-Haunches-in, start to polish aids and incorporate baby half-pass work Check on this progress as well. Canter better than trot but that's a rider gait for me so more work to be done to be clear in the trot.
-Collected canter; build strength, build bounce and stamina Yep, as softly as we can in winter/indoors
-Keep rolling with the Sunday Funday's of either polework or field play We have done much cold winter hacking and some polework.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:07 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Aleuronx. That is indeed sucky. May the barn remain your happy place.

I feel like I've ended 2022 a much better rider than I started. And Potters is in a really good place, too. And thats really all I could ask for.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:02 am

So sorry to hear about your mom, Aleuronx. Hoping she has a good treatment plan.

blob wrote:Me:
Exercise out of the saddle, even if it is just walking
Cook/eat well
Find time to balance riding/barn time with other obligations

RP:
Work on more lateral sensitivity
Get straighter
Improve our lengthenings, get more variation/distinction within gaits
Go to a show in Dec
Try to get 2-3 lessons despite holiday schedule and before trainer goes to FL for winter

MM:
Get/keep breathing under control
Keep riding but also stay flexible to do what she can manage
Try to build as much fitness as possible to make breathing challenges easier

Almost everything I marked green is because I was able to focus on it, but all of it is stuff I need to continue to focus on!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:21 am

So sorry about your Mom Aleuronx. Jingles headed your way.

I got to ride today. Whohoo! I think it has been at least a month. I was on her twice, I think, after my hip injections (first week of December) and even one of those was just a walk about because the footing was yuck. Poor girl has had a lot of stall time due to our crappy weather. She was a bit stiff but had a nice marching walk and was nicely off the leg. I did a lot of walking with some backing, LY and a bit of shoulder in. We did try some trot and it wasn’t bad although self carriage did not seem to be in her vocabulary. I certainly can’t blame her. I ended the trot session with a bunch of walk-trot transitions. See if I can talk to her hind end and get it a little more active. I am hoping that temps stay like they are and I can continue to do more than just hand walk her around. Winter just started but here, it started really early so I am hoping for seasonal weather (highs in the upper 30’s) so we can at least get back to a walking program for the next month.

I am hoping she doesn’t have something going on with her right hind. The last 3 times she has been trimmed, when the trimmer puts her right hind down, she just snatches it up in the air and holds it up. She will finally put it down but when the trimmer moves to the left hind and puts it down, she snatches the right one off the ground again. Next time I am going to bute her before her trim and see if that helps. She felt fine under saddle except for a bit of stifle “looseness” a couple times on the right (nothing new). I am building a laundry list for a vet visit in a month or so. She broke another slab of a molar off a couple weeks ago so teeth and a lameness exam so far. I don’t know if it is her hoof, hock, stifle or none of the above. She has had this trimmer for years and years and she isn’t trimming her any different and said she isn’t wearing anything differently, but she will be 21 in May :!:

Susan
Last edited by Kyras_Mom on Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:32 am

I'm sorry to read about your mother, Aleuronx. I know how tough this can be.

As for seeing out the old and in with the new........

Me: I've started adding to my workout regimen specific exercises to help me straighten up my upper body/shoulders so that I don't look so much like a little curmudgeon plopped on top of my horses. I hope to see a difference if I stick to my commitment.
Still working on this but I think there's been some improvement.

Junior: I was told after my lesson on Friday that after the upcoming show (next weekend) we'll begin to work on second trot and passage, along with piaffe. Molly doesn't think Junior is ever going to have a 'wow' canter (too ground bound she says) so we're going to focus on building on the strengths and go from there. That's the longer-term goal. My immediate goal is to get through the show next weekend and earn at least one qualifying score for regionals. I've already had a couple of roadblocks; but we'll see if I can make it happen. Despite Molly's suspicion I'm going to continue to work on the quality of Junior's canter as well and see if we can show a difference. I'm pretty sure he has a wee bit more in there...............don't ever underestimate a Welsh Cob.

Sooooo, we did get the first of our qualifying scores for the regionals. Hopefully the second and final one needed will come in two weeks. We did work on all that was planned but the main focus and goal has been re-instilling the forward and more importantly forward into the connection. I think Junior is going to show outsiders that there is definitely more in there.

Brandon: I've started to introduce the lengthenings and he already understands leg yield. We'll continue to work on acceptance of connection and see if we can delve more into first level movements. I rode in a lesson with my old coach and Brandon really did well. I am hoping to earn qualifying scores for regionals this coming weekend on him too. His breeder is coming to watch so no pressure LOL.

I think our connection has improved though I think it will always be a conversation that never is done. The lengthenings if today is any example are really coming. We started some SI today too after several weeks of shoulder fore and haunches in. I'm hoping that in two weeks I'll finish Brandon's qualifying scores for regionals as well.

My DIL has been coming to ride Ace more frequently. He's so good with beginners and she's actually got a pretty good natural seat. My goal with him is to just keep him happy and healthy. I'm sure he'll be getting out on the trail quite a bit more and now has two 'regular' riders to cart around the desert.

This was an easy win.

Return to “Dressage Training”