Riding goals for The long night and Freezing moon months

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Riding goals for The long night and Freezing moon months

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:26 pm

I usually think of these two mounts as strengthening roots but of course for those in the south it can be the beginning of the most active showing season.

My goals. Self. Commit to the therapy and exercises designed to bring me to fill activity.

Start riding again.

Work on the basics.

blob

Re: Riding goals for The long night and Freezing moon months

Postby blob » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:38 pm

Me:
Exercise out of the saddle, even if it is just walking
Cook/eat well
Find time to balance riding/barn time with other obligations

RP:
Work on more lateral sensitivity
Get straighter
Improve our lengthenings, get more variation/distinction within gaits
Go to a show in Dec
Try to get 2-3 lessons despite holiday schedule and before trainer goes to FL for winter

MM:
Get/keep breathing under control
Keep riding but also stay flexible to do what she can manage
Try to build as much fitness as possible to make breathing challenges easier

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:26 pm

The beat thing ever. My physiotherapist is a horsewoman with 5 decades of experience who knows I want to get back in the saddle asap

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:07 pm

Goal #1 is to get myself healthy and back in the saddle again.

The last period was a bit of a bust for me. We did have a very good clinic with Mette, but followed up with a fight with a wheelbarrow, 3 weeks out of town and the last two weeks utterly down and out with walking pneumonia.

I'm starting to feel a lot more human and went to the barn today with the intent of hopping on for a few minutes at the end of his ride. Didn't happen. The contractor decided on this morning to do some cleaning up which involved flinging lumps of metal into a dump truck with a backhoe. Potters was already on edge, so discretion was the better part of valor.

I'm pooped out from just driving and grooming and cleaning tack...

It turns out that Potters managed to spook off our wonderful working student a couple of weeks ago while I was out of town. No harm done, but not good. Turns out they'd had a hay change and had been feeding him high octane alfalfa for a few days. Well, we know that doesn't work!

I also think he's due for coffin injections. He hasn't been done since mid-January, and I was just reading back through the January goals thread and comparing what I was seeing then with what I'm seeing now, and it looks similar to me. Vet is coming to the barn on Saturday so I think I'll try to add him to the list.

I've signed up for a clinic with Mette at the beginning of December, but I might drop out if I don't start to feel a whole lot better fairly soon, and especially if I've got to cough up for joint injections!

The indoor arena footing has not been done, and frankly I think it's unlikely it will get done before the winter, which is a disappointment. The original contractor has bailed on the project so the barn folks are talking to another excavator on Wednesday, and I guess we'll find out from there. The footing in there is desperately in need of replacement, and the base is in fairly bad shape, too.

So i think my goal is going to be to ride when I can and just plug away at improving the basics and keeping a straight and forward horse under me!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:21 am

Well, I still have to ride my two tonight; so, I still haven't closed out this last 2 months. Despite that, my goals for the next two months are pretty straight forward.

Me: I've started adding to my workout regimen specific exercises to help me straighten up my upper body/shoulders so that I don't look so much like a little curmudgeon plopped on top of my horses. I hope to see a difference if I stick to my commitment.

Junior: I was told after my lesson on Friday that after the upcoming show (next weekend) we'll begin to work on second trot and passage, along with piaffe. Molly doesn't think Junior is ever going to have a 'wow' canter (too ground bound she says) so we're going to focus on building on the strengths and go from there. That's the longer-term goal. My immediate goal is to get through the show next weekend and earn at least one qualifying score for regionals. I've already had a couple of roadblocks; but we'll see if I can make it happen. Despite Molly's suspicion I'm going to continue to work on the quality of Junior's canter as well and see if we can show a difference. I'm pretty sure he has a wee bit more in there...............don't ever underestimate a Welsh Cob.

Brandon: I've started to introduce the lengthenings and he already understands leg yield. We'll continue to work on acceptance of connection and see if we can delve more into first level movements. I rode in a lesson with my old coach and Brandon really did well. I am hoping to earn qualifying scores for regionals this coming weekend on him too. His breeder is coming to watch so no pressure LOL.

My DIL has been coming to ride Ace more frequently. He's so good with beginners and she's actually got a pretty good natural seat. My goal with him is to just keep him happy and healthy. I'm sure he'll be getting out on the trail quite a bit more and now has two 'regular' riders to cart around the desert.

We will be taking a cruise in two weeks so all 3 boys will be getting a bit of a break the week before Thanksgiving. I think they will have each earned a nice break to contemplate future adventures ;)

khall

Postby khall » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:41 am

That’s awesome chisamba!! Hopefully you will be back in the saddle soon

My goals this next two months is keep sorting out the R lead on Joplin get back into more in hand piaffe passage work had set it aside a bit because of the show. Hopefully schooling show in November weather permitting. Here in the south you just never know! Right now we are having gorgeous fall weather if dry
Cedar clinic first of December
I think I’m really sorting things for the better with Joplin. Going to that next level of collection trot and canter.

Gaila just play a bit. Culture in November cross your fingers!

Eat a bit better oh who am I kidding it’s the holidays!

Keep up with Pilates add in some working out at home now during the darker months.

Watch Cedar streaming at the Nationals. Friends who also ride with us we are getting together to watch.

Celebrate 30 years of marriage in December. We do have a short mountain cabin trip planned. Was originally supposed to go to Sanibel but Ian had other ideas. Helen Ga is much closer at least and good time to visit during Christmas season.

Trying not to think about next year holidays. DS is looking at U Penn for grad school or Austin. Glad DH is a private pilot. Who knows how often we would see him.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:56 am

Isn’t that great Chisamba…someone who gets “it”. I picked the surgeon for my total hip because his wife is a very accomplished dressage rider. He understood ;) and did a good job.

I got in a ride today. It was 70 degrees so I also washed her tail one more time and got it bagged up. For our ride I just worked on transitions, transitions, transitions. She was cooperative and prompt in her reactions so I can’t complain. Treating her for ulcers and switching her feeds to slow feed hay nets has really made her a mellow pleasant mare.

Riding goals for the next two months…I am not really sure. I am still waiting on getting my hip treated and if that gets done, I am sure I will be grounded for a couple weeks? Also, no indoor so we will be at the mercy of the weather. I will keep her going somehow even if it is walk only work.

Me…get my hip treated and follow PT to a tee. I have been walking more. We bought an electric scooter for my Mom and on most days, I have been walking while she drives her scooter. After Christmas, I will try loading it up in the car and we an go to the local mall to walk and scoot respectively.
I was so tired of going places or walking and leaving her at home. Especially after already being gone to the barn for 3 hours. She seems to really be enjoying it. Oh and I will be raking leaves (and more leaves and more leaves). That counts for physical activity doesn’t it?

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:11 pm

Well, I came home from my trip with the worst cold I've had in quite a while, so I did indeed not get any more rides in in October, except a quick one on A last night. So I might add to my goals after a few days back in the saddle. Tesla will probably be a turkey for a first few rides back, so I want to make sure I'm feeling well enough to pass her tests before I try.

Self:
Get over this blasted cold!
Finish DRT 2
Run 1x a week
Don't go too off the rails diet-wise. We have my and DH's birthday in the mix as well as the holidays.
Really focus on keeping my seat deep in the saddle, in particular keeping my right thigh down and on consistently.

Annabelle:
Someone may be coming to look at her this week, so who knows.
With the idea of selling her in the next 8-10 months, I'm thinking a little more about making her an easier ride with what she knows, rather than pushing the envelope as much. OTOH, if I do keep her through next summer, it would be great to start changes with her, so I'm a little conflicted.
Jump 1x per week while we can ride outdoors.
Take her to the winter jumping show in December and try the 2'.

Tesla:
Start riding in the indoor 1x per week
Jump 1x per week
Keep working on adjustability in the trot and canter
For me, keep working on sitting the trot part of each ride.
Keep the reins short and keep her honestly stepping into the contact.
Last edited by StraightForward on Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:48 pm

Moutaineer wrote:
It turns out that Potters managed to spook off our wonderful working student a couple of weeks ago while I was out of town. No harm done, but not good. Turns out they'd had a hay change and had been feeding him high octane alfalfa for a few days. Well, we know that doesn't work!

tell me more about this- what do you suspect is the reason alf bothers him?
Did they introduce the hay slowly over a few days? that can upset the gut microflora and cause some personality changes.
Alfalfa shouldn't make a horse hot.....its lower in starch than grass hay and about the same calories as grass hay. Think about the loads of people who use alfalfa pellets and cubes and that doesn't affect the horse negatively-its all the same hay type..... not saying this isn't your experience just wondering why. All horses are unique!

I'm a professional nutrition advisor for horses so I do this for my job. It would be great to hear more about your experiences here! Always learning

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:13 pm

Rye, I'm by no means anti-alfalfa and fed it almost exclusively to my horses at home for many years. However, Potters seems to have a level of tolerance of protein that once he surpasses it, he turns from being a sensitive sportscar ride into a twitchy, spooky monster. (I had the same experience with alfalfa pellets, as well- switched to timothy and things settled down considerably.)

He's just a much nicer horse to ride and handle when we manage his feed to be largely grass forage (he does get some alfalfa in a mixed hay,) and fat based, lowish protein. He's one of those horses who tests with a laundry list of sensitivities and allergies, so I wonder if that's got some relation to it as well, just not feeling comfortable in his own skin.

Also, he really doesn't get worked that hard--quite deliberately, he knows what he's doing, doesn't need drilling, his job is to teach me, and we are trying to preserve his precious delicate feet--so stuffing him full of protein is unnecessary.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:32 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Rye, I'm by no means anti-alfalfa and fed it almost exclusively to my horses at home for many years. However, Potters seems to have a level of tolerance of protein that once he surpasses it, he turns from being a sensitive sportscar ride into a twitchy, spooky monster. (I had the same experience with alfalfa pellets, as well- switched to timothy and things settled down considerably.)

He's just a much nicer horse to ride and handle when we manage his feed to be largely grass forage (he does get some alfalfa in a mixed hay,) and fat based, lowish protein. He's one of those horses who tests with a laundry list of sensitivities and allergies, so I wonder if that's got some relation to it as well, just not feeling comfortable in his own skin.

Also, he really doesn't get worked that hard--quite deliberately, he knows what he's doing, doesn't need drilling, his job is to teach me, and we are trying to preserve his precious delicate feet--so stuffing him full of protein is unnecessary.

Interesting. Thanks for the update. I have not heard of crude protein giving these effects but I learn something new everyday....
He doesn't have PSSM or any muscle disorders, right?

PS blood serum tests are very suspect- do the skin testing for allergies. Horses don't really have food allergies but I do believe soy *can** be an issue

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:24 pm

Well. He was covered in hives, treated on repeated occasions with dex and antihistamines to clear them up and back they came within days of finishing the treatment, tested off the charts high for flaxseed via the blood test. removed flaxseed from his diet and the hives went away, so I'm fairly convinced, myself.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:28 pm

Back to our normally scheduled programming... or not as the case may be... pouring with snow, very cold and miserable today, so I decided I dont need to be driving over a mountain pass in that nonsense to go ride, especially with my lungs still acting up a bit.

Maybe tomorrow. But I'm trying to be careful and sensible about my health. Behaving like a nature adult is a bore.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:51 am

It's coming into summer down-under, but I'm away for most of this period, so Connor is getting some (more) time off..... however, I do have one goal, which is to do our 'traditional' ride on Christmas day. Somewhere, anywhere, just get on a horse on Christmas day!

This was us a few weeks ago, so despite lack of work, I'm overall happy with how he is doing (of course, photos don't tell the full story, and this fuzzy screenshot from video is a nicer moment between some unsteadiness and resistance, but still...) :

connor3-sml.jpg
connor3-sml.jpg (37.85 KiB) Viewed 24460 times

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:24 am

Well I'm glad I waited a bit to post goals as I am away for a client onsite work all next week which means Kora gets a mini-vacation. It just popped up so I'm hoping to still get a lesson in before I have to leave, it's short options before she leaves!!

Section Goals:
-Rider fitness of some variety (yoga? bike? weights? workouts?)
-As many lessons before trainer leaves for FL
-Haunches-in, start to polish aids and incorporate baby half-pass work
-Collected canter; build strength, build bounce and stamina
-Keep rolling with the Sunday Funday's of either polework or field play

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:42 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Well. He was covered in hives, treated on repeated occasions with dex and antihistamines to clear them up and back they came within days of finishing the treatment, tested off the charts high for flaxseed via the blood test. removed flaxseed from his diet and the hives went away, so I'm fairly convinced, myself.

wow- that is interesting! But this is flax, not alfalfa/excess protein which I was asking about?
I thought you said he was allergic to excess protein in alfalfa?

Both?

Yes, flax can be a real allergy but we also see a lot of false + on the blood tests. As you saw, the #s are key. A score of 100 wouldn't bother me

I took my own horse off soy to see if that helps FWS.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:29 pm

I have visited my horses twice now. They are well. I taught a few lessons and returned home to muscle cramps. Need to ask the Dr when I get my staples out tomorriw about cramps.

Horses are well and have and give no evidence of missing being ridden by me. Lol

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:29 pm

Rye, yep, no Soy here either. Dear old Walker couldn't tolerate soy, it made his gassy and colicky, so I got into the habit of avoiding it.

Potters just gets timothy pellets and ricebran (plus some appropriate supplements that are carefully screened for flaxseed.) and a grass/alfalfa mix hay. That seems to keep him on a mentally even keel quite nicely and his body condition is excellent at the moment, too.

I didn't mean to imply that he was "allergic" to alfalfa. I believe there is a difference between "sensitive to" and "allergic to," and also, I think I said that it wasn't the alfalfa per se, it was the overall protein content.

I'm glad you are out and about so quickly Chisamba! DH had the epidural anesthetic for his 2nd hip vs the full intubation knockout deal for his first, and we noticed how much more quickly he felt like a human being after the second. It's all uphill from here!

I actually rode today for the first time in I think 6 weeks? It wasn't pretty, I felt like I'd been stuffed with cotton wool, but it got better as time went on. And Potters held it together remarkably well bearing in mind that there was a guy up a ladder taking the old mirrors down at one end of the arena...

Now I'm just shattered and need a nap, though! This thing has really knocked the stuffing out of me. It's been a bit scary. I'm hoping now I've finished the antibiotics that I'll start to feel better as the unpleasant feelings of nausea and floatiness should go away, at least.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:39 pm

Healthy healing vibes, Chisamba and Moutaineer!

Anne, great to see you on your bay boy with that beautiful backdrop. He has quite the hind leg engagement there!

I finally felt well enough to climb aboard Tesla last night. She was a little balky at first, but worked out of it and we had a nice ride, which gives me some ideas to go back and edit my goals for this session. I've been thinking recently that she looks like she's come up a little in front; we have had some struggles with the left lead, which used to be the easier lead, and she was a little balky about cantering when I showed her two weeks ago, but I chalked it up to the weather and footing. However, last night her canter looked rounder and loftier on the lunge, and the left lead was back and feeling more round and balanced, so maybe she was adjusting to a growth spurt and change in balance. I'd sort of lost hope that she would come up more in front at age 6.5, but maybe it is happening after all. I'll have to get a stick on her and see if she's hit 17H now. By the time I got her untacked, I realized I was too gassed to ride A, but hopefully today I'll get to both of them. The winter weather has arrived suddenly, so we might be making friends with the indoor arena. At least I'm off work next week, and some of the more active riders have left the barn, so there won't be as much competition for the small space.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:11 am

Oh happy day! I managed to ride for about 35 minutes today, WTC. Quite a few walk breaks to find my lungs, but I did it!

(And Mr P was a good boy with a bunch of stuff going on including snow coming off the roof--way to early for that nonsense.)

Potters had a going over from the vet after I rode. He flexed perfectly everywhere except the coffin/fetlock, and I knew they needed some attention, so I was pretty happy with that.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:19 am

Well after a daunting week, long, long story, day one of the show was a success. Monday- had to take a day off work to go pick out colors, stone, and roofing for our house up north after finding out on Saturday all of that had to be ordered ASAP and the HOA had lost our original, approved choices, ugh! It was an exhausting day, but we managed to get it done despite finding out our original choices were a year or more behind due to backorders - so on the fly, new picks were had (and accepted by the HOA, jeez). Tuesday and Wednesday were a blur of emergencies (work-related) then on Thursday we found out that my SO has cancer and as we were leaving the doctor's office, we were T-boned by an individual who didn't speak English (we live in a border state), leaving our car totaled. As the police reports were being completed and insurance company called a hailstorm broke out causing all sorts of havoc. Needless to say, I didn't get to prepare for our show as I had hoped but there were more important burning matters.

So, skip a day to today and I'm so happy to report that Brandon and Junior each won their respective "Test 3's" in Training and Third level earning at least one qualifying score (each). There were definitely some blips and areas in sore need of improvement but overall, both boys delivered. Brandon's breeder seemed very pleased and let me know that she wants me showing at Morgan Nationals..................'we'll see' is all I could and can say.

I don't know when I'll have the videos downloaded from today but here are a couple of pictures.

Here is Junior at high alert and my numero uno groom, helper, moral supporter, aka daughter.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... Lauren.jpg

and one of Brandon that the breeder sent me.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... circle.jpg

I'm hoping to give both boys better rides tomorrow but at least the 'pressure' is over for now.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:44 am

oh exvet, that is an awesome comeback to a stressful week. I wish you and your SO the best in dealing with all the stuff.
Glad that SF and M are getting over illness, and back to (horsey) work :-) ongoing healing jingles for Chisamba.
As always, appreciating everyone's updates.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:39 pm

Jingles for your SO, exvet! I hope in the realm of cancers, it is one of the easier/very treatable ones. Congratulations on the show for both of your boys, at least that is a good way to end an awful week!

Moutaineer, glad you are back in the saddle. Yeah, WTF with this weather the first week in November? T does not do well with snow sliding off roofs, so that could put a damper on our training if we're going to have a severe winter.

I rode them both in the very wet outdoor yesterday, and T was balky again, so it seems she does indeed not like the sloppy footing, although it didn't stop her from galloping around when I turned them out for a few minutes before riding. A was a perfect girl after basically two weeks off. The footing should be better today, but then more precipitation is on the way and nights will be diving down to 20F, so the whole thing may very well freeze. At this rate it is going to be a hella' long winter!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:02 pm

Oh Exvet... That all sounds incredibly rough!! Best wishes to your SO. Lovely photos of your boys.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:03 pm

Mountaineer glad you are feeling better!
Chisamba continued jingles for a quick recovery. A friend’s 90 yr old father just had his hip replaced. Just wow I can’t imagine
Exvet jingles for your SO and what a week you had! Glad your ponies stepped up for you. Great pics. Especially love the one of Brandon. Hope today goes well!

While some here are having an early winter we are having a last summer hurrah here:(. Hot humid and buggy. Bleh but I will be able to totally bath Gaila in prep for a clip job this winter. Hate body clipping. Just hate it.

Still just playing with Gaila lightly. But the work has been very good. Trying piedmont’s circle of death with both girls. I like it!

Interesting rides on Joplin. Feel like we are going to the next step in canter. It’s not always pretty but she’s stepping up and we are both learning. Definitely some experimentation going on. All about the asymmetries and throughness. Got to love my buckskin girl though! She can handle the pressure of training and not think about putting me in the dirt like Rip would.

Happy riding all! Glad to see some other posters sharing Anne Flight etc good to hear from you all!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:25 pm

Exvet that's not good, really hope your SO is ok.
Nice pic Anne! Pretty good moment in time :) We are coming into summer too. All the grass is growing so Ding has a grazing muzzle on - poor thing is not a fan. Took him a little while to figure it out, all the clover patches were smooshed flat where he was trying to eat them!

I've just had a clinic with my instructor, it was great! I always try and watch all the lessons, lots of little details. Both my horses are going well, I just have to keep working on my position and our straightness.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:21 pm

Exvet many jingles for your SO's health. Brandon looks very pro. Junior looks like a chunk. I hope you vehicle is fully replaced.

Moutaineer hope your health keeps improving.

I am doing very well. To 5 percentile for e healing according to my surgeon. I am grooming my horses but I am not allowed to bend yet or twist so just body brushing.
Attachments
46795-02_240x320.jpeg
46795-02_240x320.jpeg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 24209 times

blob

Postby blob » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:42 am

Oh, ExVet, I am so sorry to hear you have had such a challenging couple of days. I hope there is good news for your SO's treatment and prognosis and the car stuff is taken care of quickly.

Chisamba, great to see you out and about. i'm sure it feels nice to be able to spend time even brushing the horses. I don't doubt that your riding and farm fitness will help the healing process.

Work has been quite busy, so right now priority is just trying to find time to ride

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:20 am

StraightForward wrote:At this rate it is going to be a hella' long winter!
No kidding :P .

Kyra had 3 days of hand walking or long reining due to rain and or arenas under water.. Yesterday, My arthritic foot was sore and decided that she had to carry me. We did some walking around the perimeter road and I finally took her to see what the only open arena was like. It was very wet with standing water but it was firm and we weren’t sinking so I did some more walking and was able to get in a few trot sets on the uphill side (drains better).
Today, I got in a regular ride. She was pleasant and responsive. We worked transitions again. We can always do that and shoot for quality. We ended with our walk around the property. It was interesting. We herded roosters, promptly passed the goat in a poop bucket and meandered by the 5 head of deer that were noshing on the hay in the hay hut. She is getting pretty darned chill to all the critters and going ons. I figure this is as valuable as all the arena work.
But yes…it is only the first week of November. We will do what we can do which might not be much.

So sorry for all the issues Exvet. Jingles for your SO. The boys look great.

Chisamba…love the smile. You are doing fantastic.

I finally have the PRP treatment set up for my hip. Hopefully this early blast of winter cools it before next Monday. I have a 4 hr drive to the facility. The city I am going to has snow forecast for the next 2-3 days.
I am anxious to get it done and get it rehabbed and ideally pain free.

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 am

Exvet, sending good vibes for your SO. It's a challenging time, for sure. And I hope all the other stuff gets sorted out without too much hassle.

Nice pic, Chisamba! You'll be back at it in no time!

It was just grey and raw and miserable here today, which is preferable to snow this early in the winter. Ugh. I drove down to see Laddie, who was pleased to see my carrots. He's getting a very grey face, and a saggy back, but is otherwise well and happy, if not entirely sound.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:32 pm

Thank you. I appreciate the moral support. As everyone does, we're taking it one step at a time.

Yesterday was another decent day at the show. I came in 5th place out of 13 with Brandon at training level test 3, score 63. The judge who loved us the day before decided that I couldn't ride and was not giving the poor horse the connection, he needed. In the end she was right; so, we'll keep plugging away at it. I felt he was actually moving better and was steadier in the tempo. My daughter agreed. I am very relieved that he was so well behaved at his first 2-day recognized show and that we've earned at least one qualifying score for the 2023 regionals - plenty of time to get it all sorted out.

Junior, as I feared, was one pooped pony on Sunday. I think he burned his candle out on Saturday getting all jazzed up over Brandon staying in the barn. Sunday, I had enough time between my two ride times that I actually hauled each separately to the venue to prevent the 'marriage' from occurring on the trailer. Junior did try to give me what I wanted, and, in the end, I came in 2nd out of 6 amateurs with a 61 and change and actually third out of 9 rides. No skip a change on Saturday but he threw one in on Sunday, and I clobbered him for it...........ironically the judge approved the correction. He also gave Junior a 7 for gaits despite my mistakes and Junior's lack luster mediums which was rewarding in many ways. I do have some ideas and a plan for Junior's changes which don't go against what I'm being taught in my lessons but does have a different angle to it.

I have another show in January and we'll see if I can make improvements with both boys. They will be getting a vacation next week as we're booked on a cruise just to get away and hide for a while. Then it will be back to the grindstone.

Chisamba I love the picture, your smile says it all. I have to admit my horses are my one link to sanity (my kids help too but even they tend to add to the 'excitement' though they've been pretty good about sparing my grey hairs of late). Well wishes to all. I think we each could use some positive stuff in our lives especially right now.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:51 pm

Here are some of the videos from Saturday. The one of Brandon is from his second class which we didn't do as well as our first, fussier and not over the topline like he was in his first class. He really rocked it in the stretchy circle in the first class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUI5chRy7Ac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI67KFevTCg

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:58 am

Exvet…both guys look very nice. Hopefully next show won’t involve so many distractions for you.

I got a ride in today and it may be the last for a couple weeks. It is supposed to get cold. Low 20’s to high teens at night which means the very wet arena will be frozen. Couple that with my hip injections…I need to ask the doctor how long she says no riding. I neglected to ask that during my evaluation. Just to follow the post procedure process says no lifting for 3 days and minimal for the first week so we may just be doing hand walking.

Kyra moved stalls yet again. She is now in an end stall so only has one neighbor to deal with and that horse is a long time boarder so she shouldn’t have a revolving door of new neighbors every so often. I think in the year she has been there, there was 4. With the new neighbor there was a bunch of squealing but no teeth bared lunging or kicking the fence so maybe this one will stick. The pen for this stall drains better so she will spend less time stall bound which is a huge plus. I figured I may not be riding today depending on how squirrelly she was but she was her normal mellow so I saddled her up. She didn’t get worked yesterday so we did a lot of walking and again worked on tons of transitions. She worked well and was nicely in front of the leg. We ended with our walk around the property and a bit of deer herding. My goodness, they have descended on the barn and think they have a pretty cush place for the winter.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:16 pm

Thanks for sharing the videos Exvet. It's great to follow the progress with both of your boys!

It was relatively nice yesterday and there was a little jump course set up, so I jumped both girls. A is getting much easier to jump - that is, she doesn't haul me out of the tack like she used to. It's a surprisingly difficult mental game for me to keep my leg on her all the way to the jump like she needs. T suddenly "got it" with the jumping unlike in our lesson a couple weeks ago when every jump was a new surprise (Overjump? Stop and bunny hop over? Plow through?). We even cantered to a tiny vertical a couple times - she did a little dodge left-right both times, but then jumped over. She seemed quite proud of herself, and like she was having fun. Hopefully this weather system will pass so we can play with the jumps some more this fall/winter. I got some new Acavallo Alupro safety stirrups for my jumping saddle and I'm amazed at how much better of a ride they give with the wider cheese grater type tread and the lighter weight. It somehow feels easier to stay up in a 2-point, and I feel better knowing they'll open in case of a fall.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:33 pm

I have a saddle on a barrel that I use to teach balance. So many riders tend to sit unbalanced on their horses and the easiest way to show it is to put them on a barrel that can roll or lean. Anyway. I have an old passier that fits no horse that resides on the barrel . I have been sitting in it ( on it?) And it's already more comfortable than before the surgery.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:37 pm

Good news Chisamba!

I had another lesson today on Junior. Of course, we worked on getting him over his back and then moved on to the FC. It was time to reprimand Junior each and every time he gave me the wrong answer in terms of mechanics - in other words if he tried to give me or go to the skip a change. It took about 6-7 attempts before the light bulb REALLY went off and he rolled back, loaded his hind legs and changed with a big jump in the air very clear and definitely clean. So, we quit. Unfortunately, during one of my "that's NOT what I want or what I'm asking" moments Junior responded in kind with one of the largest bucks I've ever felt and that extra pony-like snap in the back. I most definitely suffered whip lash like I've never experienced before. Geesh I'm getting old, the pain made me nauseous, but I stayed on, never really lost my balance or risked coming off. I had already decided that I was going to leave Junior with Molly while we're gone. I don't want him to sit. He needs to lose more weight and it's the perfect opportunity for her to see and feel what I'm dealing with from the saddle. She claims she can put FCs on a pig, so we'll see. I know where my specialties are (medium gaits, lateral work) and the FC, unless we're talking hunter/jumpers, isn't one of them. Junior's changes from left to right have become pretty consistently clean (the one I earn a couple of 6-6.5s on in the shows) but the right to left...............of course it's likely my whole upper right body thing that affects this so it's time to turn this over to a professional, at least for one week. Not expecting miracles but am hoping she gains perspective to help me work through this.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:04 pm

Glad to hear you are continuing to heal so well, Chisamba.

Ouch, Exvet, hope you are not too sore today.

We are getting some much needed rain carrying over from the hurricane. So, today is probably a washout. I'm hoping it will help with MM's breathing, which has still not been great. We've added clenbuterol into the rotation as an option for flare-ups. I think it will work well for stopping things at first sign. But let's see.

RP has been doing well. Trying to work on getting more sit in the trot, so have been trying to do hills and poles just to build the strength in the back and hind end. I'm aiming to do 1 day of a recognized show in early Dec. Still at first level as I don't think we have the carriage and impulsion/collection needed for second yet. It'll be the first time with the new tests, so I need to make sure I learn the new 1-3. Weather could be a toss up that time of year, but as long as nothing is falling from the sky, it should be fine.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:25 pm

I had a lovely ride yesterday, between gasps for air. Injecting the coffins made him a really happy boy. I dont know whether this is good news or bad news, but I guess I'll just go with the flow for now.

I continue to be astounded by how incredibly blase all the horses are being about working in the indoor with a guy putting up the new mirror frames hammering and sawing and waving lumps of wood and metal around and running up and down ladders. He was sawing metal in there the other day and sparks were literally flying. And everyone just ignored him, including the flighty 4 year olds. I guess they are used to the farrier and just think he's a super-sized version of that. I do wonder what he thinks of us, however!

Today, they start on the indoor arena footing. Its bitterly cold here and we've had unseasonably large amounts of rain and snow, so the outdoor is not rideable. We are hoping that by Monday it may have dried up a bit and be thawed enough to be rideable at least in the afternoons, but if not, i predict a week off as the trails are a half frozen bog that we could do a lot of damage to.

Still, no pain, no gain. It will be so much better for Potters' feet with a flat base and nice fluffy new footing rather than the undulating hard and slick thats in there at the moment. And great big flat mirrors rather that the assortment of cloudy and fun house that we've been trying to ride with! Then the next project is new windows that don't rattle in the wind...

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:44 pm

Glad you are back in the saddle Mountaineer. Also glad that Potter’s is so indifferent about all the extracurricular activities.

Well, our weather has gone to hell in a hand basket. The sun is shining but it is also cold at night…in the low 20’s and mid teens after 2 inches of rain in the first 10 days of the month. I am not sure those few hours of 35 degrees will thaw things enough to ride. I am not sure how long the doctor will want me off the horse either….I forgot to ask during the evaluation but will certainly run that by her Tuesday. I want to be done with the hip pain.

I did manage a ride of walk only. Despite me saying we were done with ‘snaffles’, I have been riding her in my Baucher mullen mouth Fager bit. It really isn’t much different from her Fager curb…just minus the shanks. She has been very happy and quiet in the mouth. We worked on TOH and some half pass. She even did a mild teleport due to the snow falling off the trees next to the arena. I lost a stirrup but managed to stay on…actually quite easily. This saddle seems to provide a lot of security. SF, I have those stirrups and love them. I was concerned with doing trail riding and knowing all the resident critters that may pop out of the bushes and I don’t want a foot hung up.

I am suspecting that maybe she has had at least minor ulcers for a long time which showed up partly with the gnashing and gnawing on the bit. Definitely, some of it was pinching but I am beginning to think not all of it. The old barn only fed twice a day. I would add lunch on the days I was there and the current barn was only feeding twice a day when I moved in. The BO did add lunch last spring but by late July, Kyra was just being very angry at her neighbors. Something was all their fault :evil: . They were feeding alfalfa and I think she was snarfing each meal down in about 30 minutes. I decided to treat her for ulcers and the BO decided to try using the slow feed nets. What a difference. They have also changed from alfalfa to a G/A mix and right now, Kyra has food in front of her most of the day and a good portion of the night. She just seems much better centered and not always distracted by hunger or a sour stomach.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:55 am

Susan, how funny we got the same stirrups. I wanted the Jin safety stirrups, but couldn't justify the extra cost. Of course now I'm hunting the interwebz for an XW jumping saddle for T, so I might need another pair. Not that there is any jumping in the near future if the weather doesn't shape up!

Yeah this November would be a lovely January. :roll: I can see that I am going to be keeping some odd hours again to compete for space in the tiny indoor. I was signed up by myself today but a teen rider came in and set up a jump and jumped back and forth, back and forth. She was very polite and all, but still... then when I changed horses the neighbor's trainer came over and randomly did some NH style lunging back and forth and around. Again, she was very polite, but it's nearly impossible to ride any sort of patterns and whatnot. Meh, I'm not totally over this cold after two weeks and it's making me cranky. :lol:

Annabelle was totally lovely today. I think the down time the last few weeks did her good. Suddenly she has a clean C/W transition, and we were able to manage CC both directions in the small arena. She was light in the bridle, and we played with half steps again a bit and had some nice trot HP. If we can find more convincing mediums we are ready for the rest of second level. Of course I just put an ad for her in a couple FB groups yesterday, and now I'm thinking she could be ready to start changes soon and I should see if I can eke out my bronze with her.

Tesla has been doing her stop and kick at my leg thing again at the beginning of each ride. However, they haven't been turned out due to the wet ground, so once we got going I think she was glad for the exercise. I'm feeling like a blob after missing my DRT workouts for two weeks. Hopefully I can get back at it this week.

Tomorrow is the symposium on the new tests. Hopefully I'll be riding many of them with Tesla over the next four years, so I'll be taking lots of notes!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:33 pm

Chisamba, thinking of you and your continued healing. It sounds like you're going in a good direction though!
. Exvet, It will be exciting to see how Junior is when you get back to him.

Blob, I hope the change the weather helps MM. I know this has to be a frustrating journey but you're being a great mom monitoring her so closely and making any changes needed. Glad to hear RP is well.

Susan, I'm glad Kyra is still doing well. It does sound like you are on the right path with the ulcers.

Mountaineer, new footing is always super exciting!! Fingers crossed for decent weather in the meantime. It's pretty darn chilly in Colorado. Eek.

SF, I saw your ad the other day. She's such a nice girl. I know it's got to be a real tough decision.

Well unfortunately I was not able to go to the L program. I actually think I came down with COVID although by the time I started thinking maybe it was COVID I was pretty much out of the woods. But I was very sick during the weekend. I'm hoping I can go to the second session in February. Pretty bummed as I have been waiting years to do that. Such is life I guess.

Lynx is being pretty unruly being out of work. He had his two weeks of stall rest and then I opted to go ahead and turn him back out. I know people tend to have strong feelings about this but I'm very pro turnout in a lot of situations. He was quiet for a while but towards the last few days he was getting pretty out of control and hard for the staff to handle. Lol. If he's not going to be quiet then I would rather him have space to move as I've had plenty of vet bills from horses on stall rest hurting themselves.

Anyway I lunged him last night. He definitely looks better although I still see something shorter on that left hind. The massage therapist that looked at him during his stall rest was thinking it was SI. I texted my vet to see if she just wants to come out and look him over or if she wants me to do some light groundwork this week and see if it gets better or worse. He was happy to canter last night and had no problem getting both leads.

He did get a nice beautiful new lunge Cavesson so I feel ready to do some good groundwork! I was feeling pretty worried over the last two weeks but seeing him last night I feel a lot more hopeful.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:39 pm

Oh LSP that sucks. My husband and son both got it and so I couldn't get my physiotherapy.

I sold Caliburn which I am very sad about even though he has a great new owner and will remain in my barn and in training.

I'm spent some time looking for a new resale project but of course I'm not ready to throw my leg over anything risky. Sometimes there are good buys going into winter.
Meanwhile don't tell anyone but I hacked Kimba gently around the indoor. It's not 3 weeks since my surgery so I really need to take it slower so I have sworn to follow my physios advice for one more week.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:31 pm

Jingles for all who need them and gratitude for the continued updates from all!

My goals are pretty simple: Keep building Emi's strength without breaking her :-) In good footing, we can now do a few minutes of canter. Her trot is feeling more normal and she is able to do small amounts of trot lateral work (that was necessary IMO before we could start a little canter). Her butt muscles are still different from one side to the other, but much less different than they were a few months ago.

To those engaged in rehab, I'm with you and I feel the zen and tedium of it all. But I have a lot more hope than I did earlier this year. And I'm glad that I made the decision to focus on getting Emi stronger rather than getting a new horse and leaving her to heal without deliberate rehab. Given the demands of my new job, that was also more realistic!

Finally, to those with 20+ year olds, I will say that the sudden entry of winter temps has been a bit of a wild ride! The old mare still has quite a lot in her, thank you very much :lol: :lol:

StraightForward

Q

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:27 pm

Chisamba, please be careful with your new hip. I know it's not easy to wait! Glad Cali is going to stay with you with a new rider. What you did with him is so amazing.

LSP, it is a hard decision but it's nice to know that I have plenty of time. Of course in my "market research" I've seen a few more gorgeous chestnut mares I'd like to add to my barn. I guess I have a type. :lol: but I also keep thinking about how much more flexibility I will have in my time and budget with one less horse. I can entertain a second riding horse at some point when my old guy is gone and we've handled a few other big ticket items like a new roof.

Piedmont, great to hear from you, and that Emi is continuing to rehab. I've been surprised at how chill my girls have been with the colder weather this year, but I'll take it.

The test symposium was great and educational. I don't have my notes in front of me, but she did say that there is now more emphasis on geometry at training level, and more expectation of being on the bit. I was surprised that she said one of the TL demo horses should demonstrate a little more cadence in the trot (not that it had a rhythm or impulsion issue), so basically, a lot is expected of the TL horses. I think T-3 will be a great test for Tesla with the shallow loops to get her loosened up in her body and changing the bed. 1st-2 looks like a good test for her as well with the introduction of lengthened trot and LY.

Our weather is right on the cusp as far as warming up enough for the outdoor to thaw in the afternoons. I was able to ride outside on Sunday night, but last night I walked T around there right at dusk and realized it was all actively freezing, so we went inside. I am trying out the Ride iQ app and really like it so far. Yesterday I did a green horse warmup lesson, and then added on a sitting trot lesson with Lauren Spreiser. It added a new degree of putting T between my leg and rein, and she objected at first, but then softened in her back and let me sit. It's $30 a month, but I think it will be worthwhile, at least for the winter.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:16 pm

SF, yes, its brilliantly sunny out there, so one might think the footing was thawing, but its also well below freezing. It wasn't safe in the outdoor yesterday, so Mr P got handwalked and long lined on the trails in the big bowl out the back of the barn. Hoping for more thawing today...

If we hadn't had all that rain just before the temps dropped, we would probably have been OK.

There is a large digger in the indoor, digging out the old base. No wonder it felt hard and slick in there.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:56 pm

Chisamba be careful!! Horse people are the worst at following doctors orders:). For ourselves at least for our horses usually to the T! Congratulations on selling Caliburn glad you still get to work with him. Hopefully you can find another fun project. I have to say I’m tempted to contact the folks where Chex came from to tell them if they come across another one like him give me a ring. This pony is the bomb!! So safe and quite talented. His owner is really getting the hang of him and they are looking great together.

Lsp glad Lynx is looking better. Jingles he continues to. A little in hand work is always a good thing in my experience!

Piedmont glad Emi is coming back to more work.

I spent part of the weekend watching Nationals. Cedar’s two struggled with the Alltech arena. The young buckskin stallion especially. Thought he was going to go better during the FS but when the music started he lost it. That is an intimidating arena. More than one struggled in there. Ah well she was still looking at the good stuff. They warmed up well each time and handled the other challenges there. Hacking in nasty sleet snow! It was just the arena that got to them both.

Weather here has been wet and chilly. Supposed to hard freeze later this week. Still going to the show Saturday. Doing 1 st 2&3 again. A bit of stepping up the work with Joplin still. She’s getting more and more settled in it. Super ride yesterday where the canter lengthening and back L was spectacular. I’ve never owned or ridden one with her ability. Pretty exciting and I hope we can show this work at the show. Then Cedar clinic after thanksgiving and then a short vacation

Gaila was cultured yesterday. Still playing with her a lightly and jingling like mad she is clean. If so put her under lights mid December for breeding in February. Have semen need to use it!!

Stay warm all and happy riding to those who are able to

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:56 pm

Does anyone feed Purina Super Sport? How does it compare to rice bran? I've researched the details of each, I'm just interested in any results you've seen.

Maia needs some extra fuel. My fire-breathing dragon mare has turned into Ms. "I don't want to go forward" since moving to Texas and shifting from timothy/lush pastures to orchard/sparse pastures. I can't see a single rib, but I don't think she's getting enough usable calories. Kinda like me trying to run a half marathon after a carb-only meal ... I need protein, or I'm going to crash and burn.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:07 pm

HL: I have not fed Purina Super Sport, but several folks in my barn have and found it useful. It was also palatable to the horses. In these cases, it was chosen for horses that had lost condition during time off or rehab, so I'm not sure it matches your mare's needs.

I wonder if a higher fat addition might be useful? It tends to be "usable" energy. Another thought if she looks good and you're confident about vit/min intake is to try something like Red Cell. Some horses really perk up with that. Another angle is to get her on a good high protein ration balancer (plus some other feed or not) and see how that goes. I apologize for this highly unscientific commentary--but sometimes trial and error is worthwhile! Hope the rest of the move has been good and you are enjoying TX.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:23 am

I managed to get a few rides in last week. They weren’t long but I feel they have been quality. My last ride most of the arena was too soggy and parts were lumpy due to freeze/thaw so we sent most of our ride time on a 20 m circle on the upper part of the arena with better footing. I had her spiral in to 10m then back out at walk, trot and canter and on each rein.
We made a nice donut in the footing :D .

I am off of her for 2 weeks. I had my PRP hip injections done today. She did one each in the tendon for the gluteus minimus (high grade tear) and gluteus medius (lesser tear) then did the hip joint proper for the mild arthritis I have there. I had to drive 283 miles. Left yesterday to be there for a blood draw at 8am today then back to the clinic for the injections at 12:30 then back in the car and 283 miles home. Kind of a long 2 days and I am sore. That will pass. I hope it works but I need to keep my end of the bargain. I can lunge her once I am not so sore so I will keep her going weather and footing permitted. Two weeks will fly by.

Chisamba…please be careful. You do not want that new hip dislocating.

Jingles for all that need them…human and horse.

Susan

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:27 pm

piedmontfields wrote:HL: I have not fed Purina Super Sport, but several folks in my barn have and found it useful. It was also palatable to the horses. In these cases, it was chosen for horses that had lost condition during time off or rehab, so I'm not sure it matches your mare's needs.

I wonder if a higher fat addition might be useful? It tends to be "usable" energy. Another thought if she looks good and you're confident about vit/min intake is to try something like Red Cell. Some horses really perk up with that. Another angle is to get her on a good high protein ration balancer (plus some other feed or not) and see how that goes. I apologize for this highly unscientific commentary--but sometimes trial and error is worthwhile! Hope the rest of the move has been good and you are enjoying TX.

That's a blast from the past! I haven't used Red Cell since the 90s :lol:

She's getting two quarts of Strategy (or, something comparable at the new barn — I need to check that label :oops: ), electrolytes, and probiotics, plus I've had her on SmartCalm pellets for years now. And, prior to moving here, 2-3 cups of rice bran pellet too. I'm reluctant to add a ration balancer on top of a complete feed AND the SmartCalm pellets. The barn owner wanted me to consider Super Sport, but I was leaning more towards a fat additive ... but she isn't getting any iron. So I'm going to pick up a small bottle of Red Cell and see what that adds.

God knows she needs the energy. I do not have the body memory or muscles required to ride a horse with no go! I'm more used to peeling her off the ceiling. This low energy is so out of sorts. If I can't fix it easily, I'm going to call the vet for a full workup.

Return to “Dressage Training”