Riding goals for The long night and Freezing moon months

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Riding goals for The long night and Freezing moon months

Postby exvet » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:52 pm

On Saturday I got both Brandon and Junior ridden before the deluge hit. I had saddled up Ace and was heading to the mounting block when the bottom fell out of the sky. Too bad too because I had some very productive rides on the other two and was looking forward to having some obstacle fun with Ace. The other two boys got their work out on cavalletis and jumps. The focus on Brandon was using and lifting the forehand whereas with Junior it was quickening the hind leg. The poles, then 6 inch cavalletis then to small jumps set up in a chevron fashion worked really well for both objectives. Sunday was a complete wash, pun intended. Even this morning though the rain finally stopped midday yesterday my arena is still soaked. Today through Wednesday will be a blur of surgeries and then I hope to pick up where I left off.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:01 pm

Thanks for sharing the suggestions and findings, Exvet. Although the source of the issue is different than Jr's, with MM's asthma I'm definitely interested to hear what others are trying and doing. I pulled the flash off her bridle awhile back and am debating removing the cavesson too. These days I am mostly riding her long and low or more up and out (more of a jumper frame).

I also have with her, I think, made the decision that unless something major changes I've put aside any goals or plans to progress her up the levels. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot she can continue to teach me and she is certainly good for my soul. She is a keeper for me, so even though it makes me sad it doesn't change things too much as I still need to get her and keep her fit for her own health and she is still the perfect horse to try new things on or to get on after a bad day, just to clear the mind. She is also such a safe and reliable confidence booster that I think I would also consider and be open to doing leases or partial leases (with people I trust with her health care) who need something reliable.

after a dry summer and fall, we have had a very wet december so far, with forecast for rain all day today, tomorrow, and again later in the week. I did sign up for the show this coming weekend with RP (we're just going on Sunday), but I'm not sure we'll get much/any riding done this week with all the rain. I can probably hack him around, but I have a feeling the arena will be a soup for most of the week. Of course there is currently also forecast for rain on Sunday, so that might also be less than ideal. Let's see.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:45 am

Wonderful clinic with Cedar! Both my girls are stepping up and progressing each clinic. Cedar has such fantastic insight into the details of this work. While Joplin and Gaila are at a similar place in their work. The approach is a bit different for each. Joplin is about straightness we worked on minute bend changes as we went around the school to straight and piaffe. Her answer has been to deviate one way or the other with her haunches but now she’s accepting the straightness and using her power. Actually asking for piaffe under saddle more now. Not to the extent we get it in hand but to develop her understanding of it US. The straightness is especially important at the base of the neck. Incredibly fun work. It translates into canter work too!

https://youtu.be/X5aBmKTyisY

https://youtu.be/ZfJUjC8yXSY

With Gaila it’s about mobilization. I had the best ride on her ever today in the rain. Cedar has such good insights into improving the way of going Gaila felt awesome. No video because of the rain.

My horses will have a few days off while DH and I are out of town.

Hope those of you dealing with winter weather warm up and good luck blob at the show this weekend

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:01 am

Chilly and snowy here. Spent a couple of hours both days over the weekend freezing my tush off watching Mette teach a clinic, and picked up some useful gems in the process. (I'm glad I didn't do it, though. Far too cold for me! I'm grateful to be boarding at a barn with heat!)

With her voice in my head commenting about amateurs who walk their horses forever before they get to work, I had a good ride this afternoon. It was a cold Monday so we lunged first (well, trainer lunged him for me. Waving my right arm around is still quite painful.) I got on and went straight to work. No time allowed for examining the entertainment possibilities if he got bored. He really seems happy with it, so fine... all business it is.

We had some really lovely trot and canter work and it has set us up for a good week, I hope.

We are dealing with a rampant outbreak of scratches in the barn. A couple of horses have quite bad cases that are proving hard to clear up. Potters even has a patch. Such a pain.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:57 pm

Khall… :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Joplin is really progressing.

I am just looking at my fat horse. Ground is frozen with not enough snow to cushion it so right now we are just hand walking. This week is insane for appointments for me with the added physical therapy for my hip. So, she is having a vacation.

Susan

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:27 pm

We are settling to the reality of 3rd or 4th mud season? Ah, the winters in New England.

Figuring out how to manage Kora in our indoor and we've (knock on wood) actually had workable, trainable rides. I am hopeful it continues this winter! Gosh I about cried when I came around the corner in canter and just politely asked, can you halfpass off this leg? Darn well we made it to centerline, I was so pleasantly shocked. There is hope for us yet!

I have still been out and about to the arena rental that is heated. It feels like a luxury but honestly eats up most of a weekend day between travel and trailer etc. I will share their management of the spooky spot which made me think of you Moutaineer. Once they artfully sprayed the spooky door not one horse has spooked at it since. :lol:
signal-2022-12-06-170143.jpg
signal-2022-12-06-170143.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 41136 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:33 am

I am chipping away at the quality of canter on Kimba, and the quality of connection and lo and behold they seem to be connected.

Beauty is sweet but needs a lot of handling. She had an amazing ability to extend her neck up so that at least half her body seems to be vertical.

Saiph seems to be a pit unimpressed that I allowed others to hack her while I was out of the saddle. I had to she was on a rehab schedule. But she is well enough to start real eirk. I am also beginning to bring my client horses back into work.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:27 am

Khall, Joplin is looking great!
How did the show go, Blob? I actually like riding with no noseband just because its quicker/easier when tacking up and I think less stuff on their face should feel better. But I have to admit, mine look better in nosebands.
Mountaineer - interesting about the walk thing! I've heard stuff from you should only walk for 20 mins to 'they are born warmed up'!
Aleuronx - yay for good rides and love the solution for the spooky spot!

I did a dressage comp, we only did advanced and PSG. Still haven't done the inter 1. But we are out of practice and I felt it. I did 2 EOC in the Advanced. Just merrily doing the wrong movements :roll:
I ride too open in the frame so all my comment were 'not round enough', 'not into bridle'. Oh well, will keep working on it.

I'm hoping to go to Portugal next year to ride with the Valencas! Making the bookings so it might actually happen. I've ridden twice in clinics when they've come here. Khall, I know you've ridden there. Any advice what to take etc?

Pic from comp:
ACTDA CANBERRA CLASSIC SATURDAY RING 3-110_3876x2579_5349696.jpg-1.jpeg
ACTDA CANBERRA CLASSIC SATURDAY RING 3-110_3876x2579_5349696.jpg-1.jpeg (66.24 KiB) Viewed 41127 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:31 am

LOL, Aleuronx. My poor trainer would have an aneurism if I went anywhere near her precious indoor arena with a can of paint!

Chisamba, glad to see you back at it! Khall, lots of good progress. Kyra's Mom, at least the foul weather is forcing you to focus on yourself!

Blob, it's just impossible to imagine the concept of showing as I'm wading through the snow to go get my horse. Good luck, I hope it stops raining for you!

Potters has been wearing hand-me-downs since I've owned him. I decided it was time to buy him a new bridle of his very own, so he didn't have to feel like some kind of poor relation. It arrived this morning. A Keiffer Rachel. It's really nice. Potters seems to think it's the biz, too. I don't think he's ever felt so soft and willing in my hand and forward over his back. Could be a coincidence, could be that this anatomical bridle thing actually works! I'm just about to go leather balsam the heck out of it :) I love new tack. It makes me feel about 11 years old again.

On the subject of new things... I went shopping for some new overreach boots the other day--mine are all beat to heck and the velcro is falling apart--the new footing is really making a mess of anything with velcro. I started off thinking I'd like a matchy set of bellboots and other legwear, maybe from PsoS or Eskadron or somewhere.

After I came round from sticker shock--people really spend that much on horse boots? (Yes, they do--especially in my barn it would seem!) I decided that maybe some plain black ballistic nylon overreach boots would do the trick. I bought the Smartpak own-brand no turn ones for around $11 a pair. I put them on for the first time today and my trainer was crawling around on the floor looking at them saying how nice they looked. (Potters is in a large--they aren't very big, but they work well for him.) We will see how well they hold up, but they seem very well made, and you sure can't beat the price!

khall

Postby khall » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:37 am

Flight thanks! Love my buckskin girl!!

Yes we went 2019 before covid. Hard to believe there was a time before Covid now! Breeches boots helmet. Clothes for dinner. They have spurs to use. We want to go back! A friend just got back from Golega and riding at Valenca’s. Very jealous! There is a grocery next to the hotel great for snacks and when the restaurant is closed for lunch. Great fun!!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:24 am

Enjoying everyone's updates as always. Love the 'spooky spot' photo, and Flight's canter pic - wowza. 'Only' advanced and PSG, hah hah. I love the fact your horses are 'open', Ding is looking keen and can see where he is going!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:08 am

I’ve traveled a lot the last few weeks so riding has been intermittent. My clinic two weekends ago was great, we worked on 4 tempis and while we averaged 4 I think we were often getting 3 and then 5 or 5 and then 3. The L to R change is often a stride behind my aids which throws off the count so we need to keep working on that. We also got our best 1/4 canter pirouette yet with 2 strides that kind of resemble canter pirouette with some sitting. And even better our trot work at the end was fantastic all the canter pirouette work got him rounder and more engaged. The videographer was right at C and we did some shoulder-in on c-line and it was nice to see how well that was on 3 tracks. I don’t know why I find centerline shoulder in easier sometimes than doing it on the rail. I think it feels like I have more room or space to adjust so I ride it differently.

I have another clinic this weekend with a clinician I haven’t ridden with before but everyone loves so excited to see how that goes.

After that we will have a bit of a break as…my horse will head off to Florida for the winter and I’ll follow after the holidays. I’m taking advantage of my work’s flexible policy to take a “working vacation” and fulfill a lifelong dream of doing a horsey winter in Florida. No specific goals for it other than keep progressing in our training and probably go to at least one show just to say I did. I may be too intimidated to try to debut at 4th in Wellington but we’ll see! Getting me, the horse, and the cat ready to relocate across the country has been a logistical nightmare and I’m so stressed about it but all the plans are starting to fall into place so hopefully soon I’ll transition from anxious to excited.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:14 am

Moutaineer wrote:We are dealing with a rampant outbreak of scratches in the barn. A couple of horses have quite bad cases that are proving hard to clear up. Potters even has a patch. Such a pain.

Oof, I went on a year long journey with scratches and finally went to Davis for a dermatologist consult and now we seem to have a treatment plan that works, if they come back I’m able to clear it up quick. But it’s so different for every horse because it can be a bunch of different things that present with similar symptoms.

I started a thread on the COTH forum and it had a lot of activity and a lot of suggestions if you want to go take a look.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:56 pm

Zevida, how exciting to go to FLA for the winter. We expect full reports!

I'll go look at the CoTH scratches thread. We do have the vet involved in a couple of cases, but ours isn't that bad, yet. Apparently, my small animal vet riding buddy is supposedly the purveyor of Magic Ointment--I just haven't seen her in a few days to see what she's got!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:23 am

I appreciate the updates and photos! Ding looks great. Joplin is such a lovely mare. Go go Chiasamba! I laughed at the spray paint door. I have a horse who doesn't react to a specific place, she reacts to everything that is different from the last time she saw it (which can be a lot at an eventing barn, given our arena set ups).

My good news is that Emi and I are up to about 5 minutes of canter/20 minutes of trot plus walking when conditions are decent. She has been a bit wild of late---which to me is a sign that she feels good and I am not quite working her hard enough (because I am trying not to break her :D ).

Blob, MM is in good hands with you and a lease might be perfect for all in the right situation. Even when I've been very busy and Emi was younger, she was never quite the confidence booster, despite her overall obedience. Too much spin/teleport and spook in her! :lol: I've never really minded, as she is pretty fair about it, but it is easy for her to deceive with docility + cow horse moves :shock:

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:45 am

Moutaineer wrote:I'll go look at the CoTH scratches thread. We do have the vet involved in a couple of cases, but ours isn't that bad, yet. Apparently, my small animal vet riding buddy is supposedly the purveyor of Magic Ointment--I just haven't seen her in a few days to see what she's got!

My boy’s scratches were never that bad (some pictures you see of other cases are scary) but they just would not clear up and were so persistent. I got a little frustrated with my vet whose line was “scratches are a chronic issue” and I was like yes but that means they recur over and over not that they don’t respond to treatment. I had to do a minor bit of fussing to get the referral to Davis but I was so glad that I did as the dx and tx was very different. Hopefully your case will stay minor and clear right up with the magic goop!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:25 pm

The barn Obie was at for years is down in the valley bottom and I think it sits on a clay later given how long the arena takes to drain. Horses there were frequently getting scratches, but Obie never had a problem until he had a cut on his leg. He is bay with almost zero white, so it was surprising and we could not get the scratches under control with even the heavy duty topical treatment, so he had to do a course of antibiotics. He still had funky cannon crud like scar tissue for years after that, and it never seemed fully healed. When I moved him this fall it diminished within weeks, so I wrapped his legs with some Equiderma paste for a few days and almost all the crud came right off and it finally looked healed. So I think sometimes it's the soil they're on when scratches become chronic.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:34 pm

Gosh everyone looks great. I just had a lesson on Junior. He was quite entertaining, first grabbing Molly's hand (the velcro wrist attachment) when we got into the arena. Something he's never done before as he's been taught not to put his mouth on people (or dogs for that matter). It was clear though that he wanted something from her, attention, treats, something. We then went to work after discussing the endoscopy findings and things we're trying to see if there's a difference in his stamina and wind. Molly had me start with trot in shoulder in down the long side switching to renvers at (E/B) really working on his bending, more at and in front of my leg than behind because he's really good at putting his rear end wherever I want it. Then she had me leg yield to half pass to leg yield across the arena going both directions. Once we knew he was supple and even into the contact she had me working on canter departs - from the trot and walk. The goal was to have Junior hot off my leg and exploding into the canter........well........the typical Welsh Cob pony said, um no we're supposed to have nice, polite and QUIET canter departs; so, out came the lunge whip. We went directly to explosive canter departs including flying changes. Junior decided he didn't like Molly anymore (pinning his ears and then not even wanting to be near her) though he never tried to kick her (which she was warned about as being one of his past talents). It was quite amazing how well he could change in the air once the lunge whip was introduced. Then she had me canter working pirouettes around her with use of the lunge whip and I had quite an expressive pony with a beautiful, collected canter and then we went to trot and passage...........Molly then thanked me and said, "That was fun! It's rare that I have anyone brave enough to let me do that." I laughed and said, well, I have always enjoyed riding pure power and just 'cause I'm a hair this side of 60 doesn't mean I'm ready for the Kmart pony. It was clear that I most definitely was NOT on the Kmart pony but the nice thing about Junior is he calms down quickly.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:50 pm

Wow, everyone looks great! Lots of hard work paying off. Joplin is really looking good and I love the pic Flight, so good. And congrats on being back on Chisamba, well done you, though I wouldn't expect any different. Loving your reports exvet, you inspire me and I'm quiet but I read and read. Thank you for your thoughtful educational posts.

It's been an interesting fall, crazy busy with life and riding and everything. Veered a little off track, going back to a few basics and trying to really keep my horse over his back and not going through the shoulders. I'm not getting him truly over his back consistently and I'm holding him together too much. I do more in my lessons but sometimes get stuck at home. I'm a little burned out right now, until I get in the saddle. I think just tired. So pushing forward. I need patience.

He did a long-lining clinic last weekend, pic for reference. We want to go from the first pic to the second and stay at the second consistently. I'm frustrated with myself.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-02 8.54.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-02 8.54.59 PM.png (227.62 KiB) Viewed 40943 times
Screenshot 2022-12-03 7.11.09 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-03 7.11.09 PM.png (181.34 KiB) Viewed 40943 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:49 pm

Chantal, good to hear from you and see pics of the handsome Mikey!

I am going to sit down this weekend and figure out how to manage my schedule since we are having a true winter this year and the arena is already frozen solid. The poor little indoor is being beat to death, so I need to figure out how to haul out a couple times a week. Challenging since the haul-in place is booked every evening and weekend in the winter, but luckily I have quite a bit of work flexibility and banked PTO, so I'll just have to take advantage of that and try not to feel guilty about being away from my desk when my schedule allows.

Yesterday I took Tesla to get her saddle adjusted. We agreed that she is still growing and has lost some fat pads. I'm looking forward to trying out the new balance with the flocking added up front. Someone at my barn recently got certified in equine massage and is now finishing her cert for kinesiotaping, so she is using T as one of her case studies. We did the first taping on her back, belly and right stifle on Tuesday. I lunged her after and it was interesting to see her play with stretching more over the back. Wednesday morning I did a light ride and she seemed quite happy and one of the more knowledgeable boarders commented that it was the best stretch she's seen and that she looked really nice and soft. I pulled the stifle tape on Wednesday morning because her stifle was clicking a lot, and I didn't want to overdo anything, but it did seem to highlight that there is a connection between the tightness she gets in her low back and the soreness she sometimes has in her stifles. I'll probably pull the rest of the tape after I ride today, and then she'll get taped again early next week. I'm thinking I'll ask to do her neck next time to see if it helps any with releasing the left side and making it easier for her to bend right.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:00 pm

Wow Chantal, I think Mikey looks great and I too am trying so hard to get 'those' moments more consistent with Brandon.

So, I entered a show for January, actually two. Due to the distance of travel (still a local show in many respects but 1.5 hours one way from me), I have decided that on Friday, which is the first of two shows, I'm taking Junior and just riding the one test, third 3. The test hasn't changed any (except I think one of the coefficients moved) and Junior is so attached to Brandon upon trailering that I just want an 'easy' day since I won't have any help. For Saturday and Sunday, second show, I'm taking Brandon to ride Training Test 3 (huge changes, not sure if it's for the better as I liked the old test) and First test 1. Junior will be staying at home which will give my daughter a break from her uber goober 'brother'. My goas for Junior are to improve on our canter scores of course and hopefully pull-out clean changes with the end goal being our second and final qualifying score for regionals 2023. With Brandon I obviously want a more consistent contact and working over the back to raise our scores and also qualify for regionals 2023.

I've also changed some things around, trying to experiment more and see what works. I dug out Resi's double bridle and his old plain snaffle sans flash. I do not plan to ride Junior in a double until we have this canter/flying changes issue resolved but I did find a way to switch some pieces and parts around between the two in order to get a plain snaffle for Junior. I've ridden a couple of times in it and his respiratory pattern is definitely quieter. I decided to then use my Passier snaffle which does have a flash (Junior's show bridle) on Brandon and go back to the Myler bit. He seems to prefer it and/but I'm keeping the flash really loose. The headstall/cavesson seems to fit him much better. I also am riding both boys with 'silk ribbon' reins and focusing a lot on Junior's engagement more with my seat and uber correct alignment of ear, shoulder, heel and properly timed half-halts. The exercises include cantering the square, working pirouettes and cantering on the spot. When and if I need Junior to 'fill up the reins' it's easy to get because of his past training, in other words, his trademark mediums are still there. Next month will be the 'test', no pun intended.

Brandon is a bit tougher of a nut to crack because he's so very picky in what he likes. He will root and nail my hands if I put any real pressure on his mouth; so, our compromise (and he's not always a fan of this either) is focusing on inside leg to outside hand and me having almost no weight on the inside hand (I still have feel). He's starting to ride a bit more into the connection with this approach. What's funny is while I know I still don't have the desired over the back into the reins consistent connection with him I can ride the stretchy circles and free walk for scores of 9 easily in between all of his twitdom at the trot and canter. So like I've done in the past with mine, I've decided to up the ante. We're working on leg yields, lengthenings, halt-trot-halt and baby shoulder in to develop more engagement of the inside hind/hind end. I'm hoping by developing better strength in the hind end I can potentially develop more throughness over the back and acceptance of connection. It's pretty clear that like Junior, Brandon is going to see the mediums as 'fun'. I think my only hesitation to this is that I've been criticized in the past for having horses too much on my seat and not enough in my hands which Brandon is all too willing to sign up for so in hand work will also continue to see if I can hopefully not repeat mistakes of the past.

The only real hitch in the getalong now is my trailer, a 2016 model, needs some major repairs. After my lesson on Thursday, my tack room door broke and now can't close. I'm going to try to get it in for repairs and as all things getting parts I guess is going to be a bit of a wait. I'm already working on back up plans to get my beasts to the show in case this turns into more of an ordeal than it should....................

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:28 pm

I've been quiet this time around out of good ol' sports superstition: that talking about what you want makes it absolutely guaranteed to fail.

But Queso and I just wrapped up at our local show series' championships and I am blissful. Look at this very good boy sporting his good-boy swag and bask in the glory that is Queso:

Just so proud of the Melty Cheese taking on a whole new level this year (2nd) and a whole new quasi discipline (western dressage) and doing just the best at both.

Also I'm pretty sure I met my (younger) self at this show-- saw a woman in her late 20s riding the cutest round little black pony and had to point out how cute he was. She broke out into the world's biggest grin and replied, "Thanks, I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!"

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:49 am

Ponichiwa...swoon. Queso is da' bomb.

Well...our weather has just sucked with a capital "S". It has been raining all day and is supposed to switch to snow tonight then temps with highs in the mid-20's and lows in the teens and single digits. That will mean rock hard frozen ground with little snow on top (ground is too warm for anything tonight to stick). The last two days have been the first days with "normal" temps as it has been below normal for the last month.

So, Kyra is getting really bored walking on the lunge line. I have been walking her about 30 minutes...as marching a walk as we have been able to get on the mostly frozen footing. Today, after 2 warmer days, she did some trot and canter. I may be able to get away by putting her boots on when it freezes hard and continue the walking. I am doing some in hand stuff but I am still kind of guarding my sore hip which is finally starting to feel better. So, I guess we will do what we can. She looks pretty fluffy right now...weight wise, not hair wise :roll: . I am seriously hoping for a January thaw. We do often get one so fingers crossed. Us chubby girls need some work :lol: .

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:40 pm

Yeah for Queso!

Yep, the rain turned to snow and we got about 5" overnight. Tomorrow looks to be the last time we'll see anything above freezing for awhile. So glad I bit the bullet on three pairs of winter breeches this year.

On the up side, Tesla is learning to really canter forward in the small indoor. I'll still need to haul her out once a week if at all possible to work in a bigger space. But we are getting quite a bit straighter and I'm really working to keep us both together in the T/C/T transitions. She's also just about got the HP figured out in both directions, and if anything starts making them a little steeper than they need to be at this point. Like my instructor said in our last lesson "Sideways is not going to be a problem for her." My core is definitely getting a workout, and needs more strength and endurance. She is quite a work beast once she gets going, and about 45 minutes in is when she's really rolling and ready to work, so it's a solid hour every ride now. I'm looking forward to getting her left shoulder and neck taped this week and seeing if that frees her up some more, then we'll probably do the back next week.

I've been bringing the more serious core tone over to riding Annabelle and getting better canter transitions from her as well. She is so cute learning her half steps. A month ago she was like "WTF, how do I move my feet and not go forward?!" but now she is really getting it, and figuring out how to do a couple steps of passagey trot through 3' raised cavaletti. She is also having a WTF moment now that we are doing simple changes to CC and back on a circle, but she's getting that too. I'm focusing on getting that more solid and snappy before working on the FC exercises.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:22 pm

Congrats, Ponchiwa, Queso is so lovely!

Great to see everyone's progress. Flight, I love the picture of you and Ding--PSG is a big accomplishment!

RP and I had our show on Sunday. This was my first time doing a trailer in for the day show with him rather than stabling overnight and letting him have a stall. So, I wasn't sure if he would be anxious/unable to settle, especially since I think he's still a tad nervous while a trailer is in motion. But once we were at location he did a good job eating his hay and hanging out both on the trailer and tied outside it. It helped that he had buddies with him. He didn't drink while we were there. But the show was small and we were back at the barn by 1pm.

We did 1-3 twice--64.7 and a 67.4. I thought the quality of movements in the 64 was better, but I did not ride think through the test and accuracy wasn't great. We also had one wrong lead pick up that I fixed up very quickly, but still got me a 2. One thing that is interesting is that once again I got comments about him being too quick. I never got these comments at training level and when I compare videos, the tempo looks the same. I need to figure out if I actually need a slower tempo or if they're looking for more collection (though technically there's no collected trot until 2nd) or if they just want to see more variation. Next show I will plan to do both days, so 4 rides, which will give me more opportunity to experiment and play around.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:59 pm

Yay Ponichiwa, congrats!! Nice blob, interesting stuff to figure out and I'll be watching as I'm there with you.

We've worked very hard on adjustability, slowing and shortening Mikey's canter stride this year. Still lots of work to do, and then there's the issue of the quality difference between shows and home but I think we are doing better with that too.

SF-sounds like lots of great work for both your girls.

I just cancelled a lesson with the trainer today, still reeling from my bivalent booster. Better but not feeling like trailering and getting my butt kicked. So we'll ride at home instead. I have a lesson with my instructor on Thursday anyway so that helps. I'm fighting with him dragging his left hind at times, the toe gets squared off a little and I can't figure it out. I need video and eyes on the ground. I'm missing something. Some days we get it, some days we don't. He used to do it when he really needed bodywork, which he had yesterday so I will see if that makes a difference as well. And then there's always the weak link, me.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:35 pm

Congratulations Ponichiwa and Queso!! He looks so handsome.

Blob, that sounds like a pretty good show! It will be interesting to see what you figure out about the tempo.

Chantal, good to hear from you. Any toe dragging is always interesting, I'm sure you will figure it out!

Lynx has been hanging out. He's gotten a ton of bodywork lol. I had my vet out a week ago. We are again going to tweak angles on his front feet. He's kind of tricky to get exactly what he needs. What it looks like on the outside of the foot versus inside is a little bit different. Other than that, she saw evidence that he has some locking of his patella on the left right now. Nothing on x-ray though and no effusion. We are doing equioxx for a few days and then she wants me to slowly bring him back to work. Straight lines, easy walk and trot for a while. I'm also going to purchase Jec Ballou's stifle rehab and conditioning plan. It's probably nothing mind blowing but it's nice to have some very laid out and clear to follow. Apparently the stifle is a special interest of hers.

We will see.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:34 am

Hi, time for a quick update.

Flight. I have found you really have to get good sit if you ride the horse ahead of the vertical to persuade judges you have collection.

Blob and Queso. Nice results! Queso looks stunning. Saiph just looks like dirt wearing a ribbon. Lol.

Exvet my current hallelujah moment is that Kimba's canter and fc is so unrecognizably better when I do not let her bully me in the connection.

Honey Brook Beauty is superb in movement but I step better than feral in hand. Lots to build on.

My new horse in training Lexyl, has some brothers doing very well in dressage so he came to me to be sold. He may be quite nice. I have only ridden him once, he arrived yesterday, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Attachments
Lexyl.jpg
First ride
Lexyl.jpg (59.62 KiB) Viewed 40674 times
Saiph4thlevelchamp.jpg
Looking like dirt wearing a ribbon
Saiph4thlevelchamp.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 40674 times
Honey2.jpg
Honey being ponies by Kimba
Honey2.jpg (41.99 KiB) Viewed 40674 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:48 am

Nice updates! And Saiph does not look like dirt--she looks very lovely.

Hoping to get back on Potters tomorrow. He's had a few days off as the scratches that I thought I had a handle on really blew up over the weekend and he had a fat leg on Monday and was miserable. I've never dealt with scratches quite like this. He's not standing in mud at all, so while I'm sure it's lurking in the dirt, I'm not entirely convinced that's the whole story.

Animax, courtesy of my small animal vet buddy, seems to be doing the trick, along with some fancy antiseptic wipes to clean up first. He was completely sound and full of the joys of winter on the lunge line today, I'm told.

Monday was not a fun day. Laddie colicked rather badly and gave everyone a scare. He snapped out of it and is doing fine now, but I feel like he's getting more fragile. Having said that he was robustly perky if a little elderly looking when I went to see him at the weekend.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:39 am

Could Potters have cellulitis?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:02 am

I dont think so Chisamba. I did think about it but I believe we caught it in time before it got really ugly. It wasn't that nasty pitting type swelling and you could still make out the structures, and it went down quite a bit with exercise. He was happy to hand walk and trot about a bit on the lunge, he just wasn't pushing off on that leg to the extent I would want, (but neither would I if I had what ammounted to a cross between a giant cold sore and a heel split in the crease of my pastern, if I had one...) Sound, but not "sound," if you know what I mean.

I am keeping an eye on it, though, as I dread that.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:08 pm

Well…the crappy weather continues although it looks like we will get some relief temperature wise sooner than later.

Unfortunately, my BO is having major back surgery the end of the month. She and her husband do all the work so that will put a bit of a kink in things around the barn. Husband says he will be doing the work but yikes…27 horses to do that for. We will see. At least it is winter and with the weather right now, the arena is not very useable. Hopefully they will find some help.

I found another big slab of tooth in Kyra’s feeder yesterday. She did that on an upper molar several years ago. The remaining part of that molar has broken off sometime after the initial slab came off but so far has been stable and the vet said not to bother it. I couldn’t tell which tooth the newest slab came from. Besides not having a speculum and she just ate some treats, her molars were not very visible. She isn’t quidding any hay thus far so I am just going to keep an eye on it and we will do her ‘annual’ dental early in the spring. I am beginning to think that 17years of power floats have weakened her teeth? I don’t even know anyone anymore that does manual floats.

So actually riding is not in the cards for a while. I am going to order a book on clicker training and fiddle around with that this winter. I have trouble going out and just hanging out with her. I have to do SOMETHING with her when I go out. Especially now when footing is frozen.

I did get an itinerary from my travel agent for my Iceland trip…so excited. Only 5 more months.

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:33 am

I kind of feel like I've gone full circle, again and again......hopefully not circling the drain LOL. I've been working on using mostly my seat to ride, really trying hard to keep my horses moving from my inside leg to outside hand. I've also decided to ride with a really light connection, mostly because it's what Brandon will accept but also because I decided that these mouth issues now that I have saddle fit and the like worked out must be due to my hands. I've had more than a couple BNTs claim I have good hands, but I guess I'm a believer that our horses are our best teachers. After committing myself to this for the last two weeks and having moved my horses to 'regular snaffle bridles' - no flash, no micklem etc I have to say my horses are much quieter in the mouth, coming to better connection in my much lighter hand. Junior is trained well enough that I can power him up and get more weight in the hand and I know I'll get Brandon there too. So the real message in all this is that while I've been good with my hands in the past, I can't seem to walk and chew gum at the same time. I mean I started focusing on other aspects of my riding and the rest goes to hell in a hand basket.......only to realize that something else has slipped and on and on and on. Frustrating though it is, I was so happy with all three of my horses today that I'll continue to be the hamster on the wheel, stiving to go somewhere, LOL. I think Junior is my best advocate since we went an entire ride working on pretty high end demands at the canter and his response was to work to my requests and not gap his mouth once.............really, really happy with this.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:26 pm

Interesting experimentation and food for thought, ExVet! I have been focusing on getting A lighter in the bridle. I've ridden her with a pretty significant amount of strength in the last year or so, but that won't work if I am going to pass her on to someone who doesn't have the strength and balance for that. Of course her self-carriage is much better than it was, so as long as I'm very careful with my balance point and don't let her talk me into putting us both on the forehand, she can stay much lighter most of the time. I've had her in one of the anatomic nosebands that has a strap below the bit, but I could pop the double bridle cavesson on and see if anything changes. When I've occasionally ridden her without a noseband when she had a scrape on her face, it didn't seem to make a big difference, but that was just a few days at a time. The trainer I took a few lessons with over the summer is coming with a client tomorrow to give her a try and possibly talk about a lease. It will be interesting since no one else has sat on Annabelle since I bought her as a green bean 4 year old. The only reason I'm considering it is because I know the stable is really lovely, and they would be in full training, so little to no unsupervised work + A getting some training from an FEI rider. She was also witness to Annabelle's worst ever behavior the first time I did a clinic ride with her mentor, so she's well-informed about any potential for silly to scary behavior!

Yesterday I hauled Tesla out to ride - first ride with the neck and shoulder kinesiotape, although it was already in various stages of falling off (the better brand is currently backordered). Once she got used to the herky-jerky action of the reining horses and the sand they were tossing on the arena walls, she settled in and we had a really good work. She really powered up her medium trot, and is also almost managing not to fall in picking up the right lead. Contact comes and goes with her, but gets some good quality once she is really forward. The horses haven't gotten much turnout recently between weather and issues with barn staff, so I think it felt good to her to have a good canter and burn off some energy. I have her in a Micklem and also ought to try putting together a regular snaffle (not as easy as with A's setup, but hey, I've got this whole morning free).
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:26 pm

Potters is much happier with his anatomical bridle. Don't know if its the set back cheeks, the poll relief crown piece, the higher-set noseband, or the lack of flash, not that I ever tightened the flash, or the noseband for that matter.

Wicked cold here today but bright sunshine. It got down to -9F last night/early this morning. It was the same yesterday, and the sun shining through the windows of the indoor was not only causing sun spots on the footing and dust sunbeams but also raising some steam where it hit the damp footing. Cue equine head explosion... However, we worked through it, no one died, and we got some very big trot (most of it going in a forward direction ;),) some really nice shoulder in and some very clean and sharp canter departs.

The scratches appear to be diminishing somewhat and aren't as sore as they were and the leg is back to a normal size.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 am

I think with Junior, the nose band of the Micklem, though claiming the opposite, must have closed or limited the opening of his nasal passages even when fitted properly. As for the flash, well I decided that his opening and gapping of the mouth of course is telling; so, against previous instructor's advice I ditched the flash. I was told I shouldn't train him to think that opening the mouth is acceptable or possible.................well, I guess I've always believed that the hand should be educated enough to prevent a horse from wanting or needing to go there. I finally decided I'm brave enough to put my theory to test, put my money where my mouth is. My goal is to have a happy horse. I'm grateful that he's so black and white..........I hope to have better hands as a result. I know Brandon would appreciate it too. I could be full of crap, wouldn't be the first time; but I know I've ridden better and done better by past horses when I used mostly my seat. My hands were always just 'kind'..........now it's time to work on my coordination and have better trained hands that can work as independently as my seat/leg aids do.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:50 am

Rightly or wrongly, a few years ago I stopped riding in gloves and decided if my hands got sore or red, well I'm using far too much pressure. Took nosebands off and if my horse opens its mouth then it clearly needs to. Now that's on my horses who don't have any real contact issues etc. Re-educating horses with issues - I'm not experienced with that, except what I've done for my two.
I'm just not a believer that you need to ride with a lot of weight in your hands. I have still had instructors tell me that contact shouldn't be light, and yes I get that a horse shouldn't be behind the contact and be false light, but i got to ride a well trained horse that you literally rode with your finger tips and it was so nice, and that's what I want to do. Sometimes I make the mistake of my reins being too slack, but I really hate that look of a bit pulled back in a horses mouth, where you can see parts of the mouthpiece, with a noseband keeping its mouth closed.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:01 am

I’ve always liked my horses light to my hand.

It was interesting with Gaila’s first ride during the Cedar clinic she was very strong in her contact and a bit chargey. So Cedar had me do some halt rein backs a bit to lighten her up said she was pushing with her hind leg rather than flexing and carrying. We went from first day strong in the hand to second day lots of quick lateral work to third day felt the best connected and working through her body I’ve ever felt. All was focusing on more flexion of the hind leg especially her right. Gaila never goes in a caveson but just in a snaffle plain bridle. Joplin go in a mickleman but she is more active in her mouth though getting better.

So what I’ve found with my two is better contact and throughness comes from them working better from behind. More flexion and carrying not pushing. I don’t focus on forward but balance and straightness.

Right now our weather just stinks. Wet and cold. Supposed to be really cold (for us southern winter wimps!) this week and rain possibly snow. Sheesh I live in Georgia so I don’t have to deal with winter weather!! Bleh

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you all! Stay warm!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:49 pm

To be clear, Junior has never been heavy in my hands or leaning. I just have always known (even if it was in the back of my mind) that his gapping and opening of his mouth had to do with me not giving enough in my hand despite not pulling back. I rode with a student of Heather Blitz (and Heather in clinics 3 times) who strongly feel that you have to create that tension and weight in the hand at times to have the better gaits. Of course this energy or tension is meant to be recycled and going somewhere, not out the front or on the forehand. I do agree that there are times when there needs to be more power and that will momentarily create more weight/feel in the hand; but I've decided that the onus is on me to direct it, recycle it and keep the forehand by developing more 'foregiveness' as in the receipt and reward in the hand with better TIMING while using my full seat to keep him round. This does seem to be creating an even happier pony and one who is capable and willing to 'power up' when asked. Junior never demands but Brandon does.........just feel like Junior certainly deserves and unquestionably has earned a better rider too.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:37 pm

I feel that riders are not open enough to doing the opposite. They may follow that manta in training the horse but are not inclined to challenge themselves. First off my personal.opinion is that feel is now important than the eye. I also think to be open minded and able to learn you might need to learn to take more weight if you ride long with a slack rein. Work out how to be effective lightly if you tend to ride with a lot of weight.

Try doing the opposite for a while and see what you learn

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:12 pm

There's a difference between "weight from force" and "weight from connection," I feel.

I'm always striving for that high that I get when the horse accepts my hand and gives me a two-way conversation, with a soft jaw and neck. Some of that is in my hand, some of it is in the horse's reaction to my hand, and a whole lot of it is coming from behind the saddle.

But there is some weight in the hand in that connection. It's not forced, though. It's weight taken and given willingly and elastically on both sides to enable a conversation.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:52 am

Exvet, sorry no I didn't mean it to sound like I though you/Junior was heavy, just a discussion about contact. I did get taught for many years to push them into a contact and that they should take it and it should be a definite weight. But I've learned some different ways since, and I prefer a lightness that many others would say is wrong.
Chisamba, I meant to reply to a comment you said earlier about if the horses are more open in the frame, you need more sit for the judges to see collection. Yep good point!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:21 am

Exvet, I had the same issue with the gaping mouth with my older mare when I got her (and a lot more.) I went through every iteration of trying to ke her mouth shout. I finally took off the flash and made the noseband really loose. Now all of my nosebands are like that.

I have gone back and forth and all around, but for her, if she opens her mouth, it was about not being strong enough and balanced. For the other two, I figure if I needed to try to close their mouths or get a stronger bit, I need to go back and make them stronger so I don't need that.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:32 am

Chisamba wrote:I feel that riders are not open enough to doing the opposite. They may follow that manta in training the horse but are not inclined to challenge themselves. First off my personal.opinion is that feel is now important than the eye. I also think to be open minded and able to learn you might need to learn to take more weight if you ride long with a slack rein. Work out how to be effective lightly if you tend to ride with a lot of weight.

Try doing the opposite for a while and see what you learn

i've always ridden with light/soft contact, not slack reins before, but working for light soft light soft. This year I rode a 3x with a clinician who has been challenging me to get a much more direct contact feel with RP. Getting him to seek the contact when he has questions or uncertainties rather than back away from it. It is changing the way we are doing things and I think it is the right push for us. The clinician has warned me that at some point this work might get me to the point where he starts feeling heavy or on the forehand and when that happens, I will be ready to start thinking more about collection.

Noseband discussion is interesting. I mentioned earlier that I was planning to take the noseband off of MM's bridle to help with breathing or at least not risk anything getting in the way. However, the way my rolled bridle is set up with everything buckling up top, when I went to remove the noseband it made is that the crow piece could kind of slide around all over the place. So, I went to look for a new bridle with a gift certificate I had. I actually ended up being an anatomical one, that sounds like a similar noseband to what you're describing, Mountaineer. I hope it does create the freedom it's supposed to rather than the opposite like it did for Junior. Of course I should be able to pull it off the bridle entirely since it's not rolled. but let's see...it arrives tuesday or wednesday.

Not sure how much riding will get done this week despite the fact that I'm off work. We're out of town for two days to do christmas things with my in laws. And it's just so happening that the days i am here might be rainy and/or icey.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:44 pm

Interesting conversation, I think it comes down to the development and level of self-carriage. I know my trainer is always asking "Is she taking you along?" Meaning is the horse forward-thinking and using their hind legs to propel themselves forward with no begging from the rider. The other thing she says is "Is that a half-haltable <gait>?" Without some activity from the hind end then asking the horse to fold and compress is not as useful.

For us in our current training plateau that means the contact can be 5 lbs but not with a braced underneck, if those hind legs are really engaged and motoring. It feels soft to me when she's in the good spot as we can change flexion or direction easily when cruising with that amount of self-carriage.

We've had our first real snow event, more at my house than at the barn but enough to cover the fields. Nothing really dramatic to report other than we are surviving, some good rides and some less than good rides, a very cold day wild lunge session, a quiet field hack in the snow. I will be pleased to soon check off December from our 'Just get to April' mantra.

Snow hack.jpg
Snow hack.jpg (119.22 KiB) Viewed 40385 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:08 am

Annabelle must really be growing up as she approaches age 10! I hauled her to the big indoor today, and she was perfect in the chaos. I tacked her up at the trailer, and just as we were coming in, someone else was bringing in a big fractious chestnut with a chain over his nose, and a helper, both of whom the horse was shoving around. They went in the arena and prepared to lunge this beast, so I hand walked A around for several minutes waiting to see what was about to play out. She was cool as a cucumber, so I mounted her from the fence since the block was over near the lunging dragon. Then more horses showed up, another lunging and frequently turning to kick his handler :eek:, and she just didn't care. At one point two rather feisty horses were lunging and the orange dragon was being led around while he pranced and ran over his handler, and A just went along with her business. Once the lunging finally concluded, we got some cute little medium canter and HP, and she was pretty nicely up in self-carriage.

Now I'm making dinner and will go back to the barn after to ride Miss T. We've got several more days of cold, but there is a thaw on the horizon next week. Fingers crossed!
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:00 am

I feel like I am making progress with Besa. Still a long way to go but the other night I was feeling very blue, and it occurred to me that I would like to have Besa here at home with me. So she’s coming home next week. It will be bittersweet because DH would have been excited to get her home. He would have prepared her stall with extra shavings, and had her hay out, etc. He would have gone with me to bring her home and we would have gone out for a nice dinner to celebrate afterwards…Anyway, I will still love having her home. I will haul for lessons every week.

Trainer has asked me to do occasional FC’s for a while now, but we started concentrating on them about a week ago. Although Besa does them for me, I havent felt really in control of it and it felt kinda herky jerky. Each time trainer would tell me to change, I’d say “oh no, please no” but do it anyway. (For what it’s worth, Betsy S had us doing a lovely canter in the clinic last month and said when we can consistently get that canter, changes will be no problem.) I havent been able to think clearly since DH. Trainer and I know this, but she recently said that I need to articulate what I am feeling so that she can guide me appropriately. So we talked about what I’m feeling in the canter and FC’s. That was last Thursday. I rode on my own on Friday (with trainer riding another horse at the same time) and got some lovely canter work. Then on Monday for my lesson, she had me go back to simple changes. They felt good. We worked on simple changes again today and she said we will stay with them till I can do them well without thinking about it. I love that. I loved my lesson today. I felt like the three of us have moved up a level of communication. Yesterday and today we had unusually cold weather with some pouring rain beating down on the tin arena roof. At one point Besa did a huge spook but carefully took me with her. It was as if she was saying “danger, danger Robbin! I’ll do what ever you tell me, but you need to be AWARE of the danger!!) Her spooks were big but she stayed right under me and took me with her. Trainer agreed with my assessment. So yeah, the three of us are getting on the same page. It’s not unlike a good marriage. It takes time.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:44 am

So good to hear from you demi. I am glad you are figuring out your new path. Sorry that you have to but glad that Besa has kept you grounded and given you a purpose.

Well, we are (and have been since mid-November) in the winter doldrums…and since winter doesn’t start until tomorrow…winter sucks. It is supposed to warm up in about a week but then we have to go through the thaw to get a useful arena. It would be nice if we could get “normal” temps. We have had very little of that all year. Either too hot or too cold. Never just right (yes, I am Goldilocks).

I have been going out and walking her for 30 minutes every time. That is about all I can take. Both of use are bored out of our minds but too bad. She has to move her butt some. Today a crew was working on the road that is above the arena and that provided some excitement. She didn’t do much but snort and a few steps of passage but it perked her up a bit. Today, I did find one corner of the arena that wasn’t too chopped up with frozen lumps and had her trot for a few minutes. It was a cautious trot but she looked comfortable and was not slipping or sliding. She is one of the few barefoot horses at this barn and I am sure glad she is or we wouldn’t be able to do anything. I got a book on clicker training and may start fiddling with a bit of that just so we can do something training-wise over the winter. I don’t know what kind of monster I will create :lol: .

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:32 am

How good to hear from you, Demi. I'm so glad you have Besa there for you.

Just chugging along here. This week is a bit of a bust as the weather is going to be ugly for the next couple of days and the indoor is full of men at work busily building the new observation deck and installing mirrors. Its all eventually good, but challenging to work around.

And today, while I was untacking, someone else's horse got spooked, and ran through the rack I'd just put my saddle on. It's more than a little sick-making watching your immaculate, carefully fitted saddle being kicked and trampled down the concrete aisleway. The tree looks sound, but there are some deep scratches and scuffs on the seat, and I suspect its going to need the flocking looked at. No one's fault, just the joys of boarding i guess.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:14 pm

Ugh, Moutaineer. I know that feeling. I had a horse go down with my saddle on, and just about cried. The marks aren't as vivid now, but at the time it was still fairly new.

I've been following the noseband discussion with great interest. I grew up riding western, so no noseband. Then switched to eventing and slapped on a figure 8 because that was the thing. Then with Anz, I removed the noseband because none really fit and she went great without ... then she started flipping her tongue over the bit occasionally, so I found a drop that fit okay. And then there's Maia with a mixed reaction. She's soft 50/50 with or without a noseband. She does not like pressure on her crown. Now both of our bridles have padded integrated crowns, so I've stuck with the noseband as loose as possible rather than having extra leather bits flopping free.

Return to “Dressage Training”