Riding goals for The long night and Freezing moon months

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Riding goals for The long night and Freezing moon months

Postby blob » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:25 pm

HL: have you thought about adding back the rice bran or removing the SmartCalm? You could also add in protein via tri-amino if you think that's what she's missing.

Be careful with the Red Cell, most equine nutritionists and vets will say that most horses have too much iron in their diets, not the opposite.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:25 am

Ryeissa may have some good idea for energy and nutrition.

I found a Dutch registered broodmare who didn't catch this year and so came up for sale reasonably inexpensive. She has nice bone and substance . I have her at my barn in quarantine so she is still a big question mark but hopefully I can build some back muscle and a reasonable dressage grounding for her and flip her next summer.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:00 am

Welp, Oct didn't go as planned, sore foot, no clinic, no show, blah blah blah. But I think we're back on track in between life busy-ness and business so there's that. My instructors are finishing up their seasons so the last 2 weeks have been lesson free and I feel like I'm messing up the canter to the right big time, though we are at a different level at this point so my expectations are much higher. I have a lesson tomorrow and the next day as well with both my instructor and then her trainer on Friday. So looking forward to it.

And I never posted about my 3 days at the trainers, but it was a lot of straightness work and energy, forward and honesty and keeping him straight. He's so sneaky. It's so much easier to be crooked and not go forward in his mind. But we've had years of reinforcing this. When I get stuck I go back to forward, straight, and then getting the inside hind under and we do much better.

I'm a little drained from life at the moment so not much energy to post. Jingles to all (exvet, chisamba, moutaineer, demi, and those I've forgotten to mention). I pop in to read, keep on riding and posting.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:29 am

I may need @Ryeissa! The Red Cell didn't look very promising based on the label details. Too many added nutrients on top of what she's already getting elsewhere. And I finally figured out that the BO switched Maia to Purina Enrich. We discussed it, but without having the details in front of me, it all went *whoosh* ... which renders the Super Sport useless since it's a similar ration balancer. And rice bran is facing a nationwide shortage right now, so that's a no-go.

Complicating matters, anything Maia gets needs to be delivered to the barn bagged AND quickly soaked because she chokes :roll:

Oils — rice bran, flax, corn, etc — are an option. Or I may ask if I can add alfalfa pellets — BO buys them for two other horses. I'm concerned that alfalfa will make her too crazy to ride safely. Alfalfa hay has that effect on both her dam (Anz) and grandma. But a smaller portion may give her enough extra energy she's more herself.

As for the SmartCalm, I'm not terribly concerned about the effect of that supplement. In MD it didn't suppress her natural energy, it just took the top off the over-the-top-reactiveness.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:18 am

Hi! I’d like to join the threads.

This past weekend was our last show of the year. We have a few clinics coming up the next few weeks in between some travel I’ve got. We’ve been showing 3-3 this year and my trainer thinks we are ready for 4-1 but I’m less convinced! So the goals for the winter are continuing to work on straight and on the aids changes and introducing canter pirouette work. We’ve played with that a few times in lessons and clinics (1/4 pirouettes) so that will probably be a theme of the upcoming clinics too.

My guy had Mon/Tue off after the show and since I leave Sat for Thanksgiving I figured this would be a light, easy week. So I show up at the barn tonight when it is dark and chilly after 2 days off and I just want to walk on a loose rein for 20 minutes and he had other ideas lol! He behaved himself but was definitely more on edge than usual, he’s typically a mellow guy. I had to keep him busy with walk lateral work and then after I got off I took him in the round pen to work off some steam. I couldn’t change plans and do a real ride because I hadn’t worn a sports bra :oops: and so anything other than walk u/s was out of the question. :lol: I know better for my next ride on Friday - I will longe him first and be ready for a real work. I was trying to be nice and let him relax but he wanted to go!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:58 pm

blob wrote:Be careful with the Red Cell, most equine nutritionists and vets will say that most horses have too much iron in their diets, not the opposite.

Blob, that is a good point. To be honest, I've only used it after blood work indicating lower iron (and just for a limited period of time).

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:26 pm

heddylamar wrote:That's a blast from the past! I haven't used Red Cell since the 90s :lol:

She's getting two quarts of Strategy (or, something comparable at the new barn — I need to check that label :oops: ), electrolytes, and probiotics, plus I've had her on SmartCalm pellets for years now. And, prior to moving here, 2-3 cups of rice bran pellet too. I'm reluctant to add a ration balancer on top of a complete feed AND the SmartCalm pellets. The barn owner wanted me to consider Super Sport, but I was leaning more towards a fat additive ... but she isn't getting any iron. So I'm going to pick up a small bottle of Red Cell and see what that adds.

God knows she needs the energy. I do not have the body memory or muscles required to ride a horse with no go! I'm more used to peeling her off the ceiling. This low energy is so out of sorts. If I can't fix it easily, I'm going to call the vet for a full workup.

Horses are generally not low in iron, often they are getting too much iron depending on the soil the hay is grown in. And the only way to get accurate iron blood test results is to collect after working the horse.

How many pounds of Strategy? Unless you know how much by weight and what the minimum feed rate on the Strategy feed bag is, you won't know if she's getting the full amount of vitamins, minerals, and protein. If she's not getting the minimum amount of Strategy, adding on a ration balancer is a good way to meet the horse's minimum requirements without adding calories. Is she still getting the SmartCalm? You could try taking her off that. Then unless you have concerns about sugar tolerance, you could see what the NSC is of the current and recommended feed and see if a higher NSC helps her energy. Also you could try a pound or so of alfalfa pellets.

I also think though that if the horse's minimum diet requirements are being met and they are in good weight and getting ~20lbs of forage per day, their energy level is appropriate for their metabolism, etc. If she's low energy, you might need to find better ways to motivate her in the work and more efficient ways to school her. Also consider adding some fitness work to her week.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:45 pm

zevida wrote:I couldn’t change plans and do a real ride because I hadn’t worn a sports bra :oops: and so anything other than walk u/s was out of the question. :lol:

Haha yes, I know that feeling!!
Thats cool going up to the next level :) Go for it!

My coach stayed down a few extra days after the clinic, so I scored a couple of extra lessons. I asked her to have a ride on both my horses and it was great to watch, and have her work with very specific issues I was having.
What I noticed when I compare our riding, is that I tend to be too static. Not enough releasing of aids and that includes my legs/hands/seat. She talks about being more playful with my aids and in the way of working a horse and I never really got it until I was able to watch her in action. When I had a clinic a few years ago with Anna Blake she told me to stop trying to make it so perfect. I didn't really understand how to try to ride thinking less perfect! Not that I am perfect mind you. I think especially from competing, I can get too locked into trying to get every step right and I end up shutting it all down and holding on too much with everything.

When I got on afterwards, my horses felt so much wider through my seat/withers/base of neck. Especially Ding (little black friesian x). I was like oh wow. And then it slowly deflated as I rode :roll:
But I've ridden since and just worked on it myself and have been able to get it back - not all the times but definitely here and there :)

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:34 pm

Flight wrote:I didn't really understand how to try to ride thinking less perfect! Not that I am perfect mind you. I think especially from competing, I can get too locked into trying to get every step right and I end up shutting it all down and holding on too much with everything.

This is very relatable! I also am a perfectionist and run into the same challenges where I think trying to make it perfect causes more issues. On the other hand yeah in training I can throw in a circle to fix the bend and it's no big deal I can't do that in the test and so I do need the training to sometimes be under more "test conditions" so I get used to trying to make those small adjustments while we're in the movement.
Last edited by zevida on Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:56 am

tlkidding wrote:I also think though that if the horse's minimum diet requirements are being met and they are in good weight and getting ~20lbs of forage per day, their energy level is appropriate for their metabolism, etc. If she's low energy, you might need to find better ways to motivate her in the work and more efficient ways to school her. Also consider adding some fitness work to her week.

So I misspoke in the post you quoted (see the following one) — we'd discussed switching to a ration balancer since she doesn't get much grain, and the BO did that. So, yes, she's now getting a full allotment of minerals, etc from Purina Enrich.

This horse has never required motivation to move in her entire 9 years — we had a hell of a time keeping her calm when she was ill as a 3-month-old. And we do fitness work twice a week. This isn't a fitness problem on either her part or mine. Something changed in the move from MD to TX — even before we switched her grain last month — and I have a completely different low-energy horse.

Since some of her groceries changed — lush pasture, rice bran, and timothy, to very sparse pasture and orchard hay — I presume that's the culprit.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:57 pm

Flight, your lessons and insights sound awesome! I think it really is a big deal to learn how to train with that "openness" and then also eventually bring it to the competition ring. I think it is easy to forget that training is not just practicing for competition (not saying that you were doing this---just that it is easy to do).

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:47 pm

zevida wrote:
Flight wrote:I didn't really understand how to try to ride thinking less perfect! Not that I am perfect mind you. I think especially from competing, I can get too locked into trying to get every step right and I end up shutting it all down and holding on too much with everything.

This is very relatable! I also am a perfectionist and run into the same challenges where I think trying to make it perfect causes more issues. On the other hand yeah in training I can throw in a circle to fix the bend and it's no big deal I can't do that in the test and so I do need the training to sometimes be under more "test conditions" so I get used to trying to make those small adjustments while we're in the movement.

I have a suggestion for this. Have you ever enjoyed lying on your back on a lovely day and looked at images in the clouds. Oh look. That cloud looks like a dragon, there is it's head and there is it's tail. And it's fun and you don't expect it to look perfect. Learn to applaud yourself and your horse for thinking you saw a dragon.

I know I sound foolish but I ruined so many days trying too hard to perfect at everything at shows. It's okay to present a dragon in the cloud and be happy because you could point out the dragon to the judge too.

Be whimsical. Pretend it doesn't matter. Some how that let's you remove the stress and ride with joy and clarity for the horse.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:59 am

I love that, Chisamba! I can get a bit "teeth gritted" in a test riding situation, rather than going with the flow, and that just leads to the horse gritting his teeth, too.

Don't you overdo it with that new hip, now!

The indoor arena as predicted has been closed all week. And the outdoor arena is frozen ruts, so Potters has been learning to go forward out on the trails with nerveless ex eventer working student aboard. He thought it was so much fun yesterday. I'm not sure he's ever had the opportunity to open up and gallop under saddle before.

However, today, after bouncing along like he was heading to the start of the Belmont, he discovered that this was indeed actual work. It was an interesting mirror of how he is in the arena, the same spook evasions when asked to step it up and put forth more effort mentally and physically than he is entirely at home with.

For one reason or another, some horses are more emotionally open to trying harder, newer challenges than others.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:28 am

Chisamba wrote:Be whimsical. Pretend it doesn't matter. Some how that let's you remove the stress and ride with joy and clarity for the horse.

I love this! I was a bit demoralized after a lower than I wanted score at the show on Saturday to the point I thought about scratching Sun. In my warmup on Sun at one point my trainer was pushing me and I was thinking to myself “I don’t really care”. I think I went into the show ring feeling like it doesn’t matter. And I got my best score ever at that level. I don’t know how much it was related but probably somewhat!

Tonight I was prepared for the horse I had Wednesday - boots, spurs, whip, double bridle, sports bra :lol: , and I got the horse I wanted on Wed - mellow and would have been happy to walk around on a loose rein. We did a pretty easy ride, we did a bit of l/y away from and towards the rail in counter canter and that went well so we did a few changes down the long side. Not exactly tempis as I’m not aiming for an exact count but trying for 3-4 changes down the long side 5-6 strides apart. He did well and the third long side they were nicely on my aids so then a stretch and done.

Now I get a week off and he’ll get some training rides from the assistant trainer while I’m out of town. We’ll have two rides when I’m back before my clinic.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:10 pm

Welcome zevida! I think we all know what it's like to get the ride you want but not on the days you want them.

Chisamba, remember just like in horses slow is fast. You went through the effort to get that hip now do the full rehab to make it perfect.

Sorry for the silence but I have been reading along! I had a week long work trip pop up so things have been here and there. So Kora had a pre-winter vacation. I did fit in a lesson before I left that was canter centric and then had our final lesson yesterday before they leave for Florida that was trot work focused.

Overall, Kora has just been so fun in the training. Canter work was building the collected canter; 10m circle lifting her together, together then walk transition, settle the walk then back to canter. Right lead especially diagonal to counter canter, holding the right shoulder on the wall and flexing the neck straight. Whoa does the shoulders change when we get this! Last piece was alternating riding down straight center line versus making a good turn (hard, lol) leg yield 2-3 steps, half-pass 2-3 steps then leg yield again 2-3 steps. Mind blown at this but so cool when you feel the hind end load and push.

Trot work is simple; ride the second track, straight ears in the middle and GO. Riding toward the mirrors it was painfully obvious that she likes to wobble about, one step out with right hind, under then one step out with left etc. Once the entire body is straight? boy do those shoulders lift up and out instead of just stabbing up and down. Trainer actually gasped in a good way at one point as we unlocked that trot.

Just minor homework for winter. :lol: I do feel good about it and know what feeling I'm aiming towards in all gaits.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:03 pm

Chisamba congratulations on your new prospect! Looking forward to seeing the changes you make with beauty!!

Zevida good to have you! This is a great supportive group with some awesome insights into training our horses.
Aleuronx ah I’m jealous you have mirrors! How helpful that is I’m sure. Glad Kora is going well for you.
Mountaineer yes!! Well put re horses and their try. I struggled with Rip because of how much of a challenge he was. He hit the ground a challenge where Joplin just tries so hard to do as you ask.

Show went well with a few hiccups in the test. Right lead not as good as at home. Sigh isn’t that always the case! But big take aways is Joplin is loading beautifully now and she is remarkably composed about horse shows. Almost too composed:). I kind of would like a bit more ooomph to help in the tests. But I’ll take safe for sure!! I tried gearing her up in the warm up with trot canter trot canter transitions which usually works well at home but unfortunately riding in a crowded warmup is way different than riding by oneself at home:/. A couple of times especially I had to put the brakes on hard when I had riders cross my canter line as I was doing trot canter trot transitions. Sigh it’s been a long time since I’ve had to negotiate other riders in this manner.

How do you all deal with crowded warmups? At least I did not have the FEI riders with the two whips sticking straight out that I’ve ridden with before :)

Joplin just continues to be such a joy to ride. The Thursday before the show I rode in my arena pretty windy with a leaf whirlwind at one point during our ride. Joplin was unfazed!! Bless her.

Busy week this week hosting some family for Thanksgiving then Cedar first weekend of December.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving all who celebrate! Happy riding all!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=qC1gEa

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=qC1gEa

blob

Postby blob » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:40 pm

Happy thanksgiving to those that celebrate it!

We've had some very cold temperatures here, unusually cold for November. My two are the only two at my barn that don't get blankets. They get a clothed when it's cold and wet, but when it is just cold, they stay naked. They are also unclipped (many at my barn are clipped) and they get proper winter coats. There is something nice about going out on a chilly morning and riding your very poofy horse who has all its fur fluffed out.

Yesterday, MM, who is normally very obedient and well behaved, decided to play a game of 'catch me if you can'. She would let me get close and then gallop away. The shenanigans went on from about 15 minutes. And while I was irritated at her 'bad behavior', I was also happy to see her clearly feeling good. She's had such an unexpectedly rough fall with her asthma that it was a great surprise to see her suddenly want to run around wildly and that when I did finally catch her and bring her in, her breathing was totally normal despite all the self inflicted cardio. So, I got on her and did a hack with some trot and canter thrown in ended with her breathing rate totally normal with no nostril flare, no wheezing, no coughing. Hopefully whatever fall allergen was getting her is moving on/dying. I've also been trying various respiratory supplements (why not). And the last few days had been giving her the air power liquid. It's basically a liquid cough drop meant to open up airways--it smells very much like vick's vapor rub. So maybe that is also helping? Who knows.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:08 pm

Ah, the crowded warmup. It's a skill unto itself!

I did my fair share of showing this season and feel like I have a better plan. I start by sorting out the players during our walk warmup. Which is the person riding a 20m circle near their trainer standing at the edge of the warmup? Who are the non-competes wearing their matchy-matchy and riding some rank thing for experience? (I mean this with love, we've all been there!) Who are the pro's that are reasonable to ride near/around? Who are the Ammy's with a remote coach in their ear and not a clue of what's going on around them?

Once you have the landscape set I find it a bit easier to know where and when I can do what's needed for our own warm-up. I'm not afraid to call a line but if you're doing it into the 20m circle that person is not leaving under any circumstances or crossing a rider with a headset that hasn't looked up the entire time then it's bound for failure.

Would love others thoughts!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:07 pm

Blob, it's so great to hear that MM is feeling better;I hope the trend continues!

It is dang cold here too, but at least it should be warming enough of the next few days for the arena to soften up again. Lucky, as it will probably be the last time my instructor can come up for winter since many of her clients don't have indoor arenas. Yesterday I started in the outdoor and quickly realized it was too hard and headed inside which did not help with T wanting to suck back. I'm using the Ride iQ app and enjoying it quite a bit. Yesterday I did a 35 minute ride with Jon Holling, though realized that maybe eventers on super-fit horses don't take as many walk breaks as dressage divas!
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:27 pm

Kyra is pretty much on vacation since I am grounded for another week. I have been really sore since my PRP injections so I haven’t even ventured to the barn much. The soreness is slowly abating and I will be starting PT next week I think. I did pull her out and was able to lunge her some on Saturday. The small arena got salted and it is supposed to warm up into the 40’s by the middle of the week. So until the next storm, we should have good footing. Whohoo. It has already felt like winter ❄️ for the last 3 weeks so it will be interesting to see what winter will actually be. I will lunge her this week and be ready to hop ( :lol: ) back on next week.

Mountaineer, I am glad Potter’s has had a chance to venture out of the arena. Kyra has seemed to really enjoy the change of scenery and I have some sane pairs to venture out with so it has been fun. Due to circumstances (work schedule and an ever breaking body), I pretty much made the last 2 horses into arena flowers. Kyra is less bothered by stuff overall now which is nice.

It looks like everyone is making the best of their circumstances be it weather or health issue. Continue on!

Susan
Last edited by Kyras_Mom on Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:01 pm

Hi friends- yes, I can help with nutrition. I have a ton of ideas- lets talk offline.

revolution.equine@gmail.com
https://revolutionequinenutrition.org/

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:01 am

I had a nice little ride in the sunshine this afternoon. Still rather hard underfoot, but fine for a walk and trot. Indoor is moving along, but I was right, it'll be next week before it's rideable. So we will just pootle around outside until then.

I had my flu and pneumonia shots yesterday afternoon. 24 hours later I started to feel like I'd been hit by a truck. Ugh. My arm is really sore--actually everything is really sore. It's the pneumonia shot rather than the flu shot I think. Really angry looking and just owie. Early night with ibuprofin.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:21 pm

First real ride post hip replacement. I shall have to work on my balance which has definitely changed with the more hip freedom. It was really good to be able to post in the trot and canter without pain.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221123_150745_Gallery_320x291.jpg
Screenshot_20221123_150745_Gallery_320x291.jpg (76.94 KiB) Viewed 29707 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:09 pm

So good Chisamba!!!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:28 am

Congratulations! Super picture to see! Happy Thanksgiving!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:13 pm

Chisamba this makes me so happy to hear!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:54 pm

Chisamba :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:42 pm

Good to see, Chisamba. That convalescence went by quick!

For those of us with less dramatic aches and pains, I've just discovered that Back on Track make breeches. I've just ordered a pair and will report back on whether they help with my achy SI joint, sciatica, etc. Has anyone else tried them?

khall

Postby khall » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:53 pm

Yeah Chisamba!!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:49 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I just got home from my holiday trip and I stopped by the barn to ride on the way home from the airport. This was my first ride in a week but my guy had been ridden by the assistant trainer while I was away so he hadn’t had a vacation. He felt so good I decided to play with some 4 tempis but they were almost always a stride behind my aid making them 5 tempis. I think I am pulling on him too much. As a former h/j rider that’s how we did changes and it’s a hard habit to break. I think I am afraid of him getting too forward/fast so I start hanging and pulling and that always results in a change that is clean but late to my aids. Oof. Well, more to practice!

I stopped for gas on the way home, rolled my ankle on an uneven crack in the pavement, and fell onto my hands and knees. On the one hand thank goodness I was wearing my breeches because I only have a slight abrasion on my knee. On the other hand the breeches got torn up and are now see-thru on the knee with several small holes and are probably a lost cause now. Rats.

Oh I also went secondhand “shopping” at my mom’s farm and brought home two blankets, 3 saddle pads, and 3 pairs of sport boots. I needed the blankets but not the saddle pads or boots so much. I have too many already!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:49 pm

Wonderful picture Chisamba and absolutely not surprised you're already back at it. So glad to hear/read that many are having a great holiday season.

Our cruise was very relaxing and then I went back to work................full on fall-out sh!t show..........but very productive, financially, for the clinic. Not that this is something at the top of my 'goals' list. I found out eons ago that if I focused on matter-of-fact quality medicine and surgery, the rest always took care of itself. However, I work for a corporate practice now and am constantly reminded that I'm one of their cash cows. So after working 7 am- 8 pm Tuesday focusing on my patients and then taking care of catch up and clean up for our 'regular' relief vets, I turned around to leave and was faced by three managers. None of the 3 are based at my clinic but our manager is out on maternity leave and these 3 having been 'sharing' coverage for our clinic. The purpose and the 'pleasure' of their visit was to pressure me into working days I'm normally off because of their challenges to keep the clinic manned. One of the 'suggestions' was for me to give my PTO to other individuals who had used theirs up for reasons of covid and the like. Another one pointed out that I was gone all last week and this past Monday (took it off to take care of details on the build we're doing up North - all approved and requested well within policy guidelines) and really should pick up 'extra' days. Now I did pick up extra days over the summer. Honestly, it's so hot in the summer that waiting to ride late at night worked for me and the extra days were extremely lucrative, not just for me as it turns out. I have been very OPEN in letting all staff and management know that I'm working for this particular clinic ONLY because they were willing to accommodate my needs while my father was dying AND had the benefits that I would need going forward since I needed time and availability to take care of my mother. I also have told them from day one that once we had a 'summer' place settled I would be shifting to 'relief' status. Well, I've worked 4.5 years for this practice (only one sick day and had to leave early on the day my dad died, other than that I like most vets have only used up a portion of my allotted PTO each year) diligently on the days I've committed to working but the switch to relief status is coming as soon as our house up North is finished. Currently it's 1/3 of the way there. So, when these demands, requests, suggestions were being hurled at me as I was closing up shop at 8 PM, I had to make it very, very clear to ALL that I have suffered permanent physical damage, missed out on milestones with my kids, worked 60 hour weeks routinely up until I joined this practice all as a result of 'doing what I owed' to my profession (especially to pay for having the audacity to be a female - I was the first large animal vet in Eastern Ohio way, way back in the day and cannot count the number of times I had to 'make up for that').................and THEY want me to give up legitimate and approved PTO time in the face of my SO having cancer, the holidays, my mother's care, new house construction AND equine issues hitting the fan................um NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. OK sorry and thank you for letting me vent.

I too have made a decision that has been nagging at me for a while. I've made an appointment to have respiratory endoscopy performed on Junior. I told Molly when I dropped Junior off that she would be telling me that I needed to have it done when I came back. she'd been on him only two days and texted me agreeing that it needed to be done; otherwise, he did well for her, and the focus was quickening the hind leg. Good news, it worked. Back to the concern at hand, he's always had a lot of stertor when his head has been dropped all the way to the ground while eating but at no other time. His dam had the same thing though not quite as consistent. She never ever ever ever had any exercise intolerance. She was always our energizer bunny of the Welsh Cobs. If she hadn't been such a good broodmare, I would have probably used her for competitive trail. Also, I've often commented on his habit of sucking his tongue back when tense or frustrated under saddle, never does it without the bit. This has always been sporadic and easily remedied once he's warmed up and understanding of the requests though Heather Blitz one time demanded that he was a roarer after demonstrating it during a lesson with her and insisted I get him scoped. At the time it was very easy to pinpoint the trigger and resolve so again I felt it wasn't something to go over aboard chasing wild herrings. While I've had the tired pony occasionally at shows, I've managed to trail ride him for 14-15 miles without issue and a lot of it trotting, cantering along the way, at least up until this summer. I failed in letting Junior become overweight this summer and he struggled with stamina. I also noticed that his breathing during the canter was becoming consistently noticeable, still not what I would call a classic roarer but something anatomic, nonetheless. I had an appointment for him to be scoped on Wednesday, but it was cancelled due to the entire staff at the clinic being sick and re-scheduled for the coming Thursday. I am dreading the outcome. I've continued to ride Junior since getting back and he's quite capable of doing all the third level work. He's on a well-managed weight loss program (and has been but the focus is gradual weight loss). His breathing at the canter is better when I ride without a noseband. At best I hope whatever his issue is, it's something that can be helped with surgery because I'll pay for it without question but if it's not, and I can't find a way to manage his exercise to build strength and stamina it's unlikely he'll be able to be taken any further up the levels without causing significant risk of heat stroke or something similar. I swear my kids never caused me so many grey hair moments like my parents, dogs and horses have.

Brandon is coming along pretty well. He's actually starting to sprout a hind end to match his chest. Lots and lots of transitions are helping. He also has made it clear that I have to ride him with silk ribbons for reins if I want his mouth to be quiet. I used to compete a welara as a kid who was very much the same way. I have found myself channeling my decades ago rides on Sheinken (for those familiar with the eventing world she used to be Marcia Kulak's pony before I got the ride on her) on the bigger brown wrapper. It's taxing on my aging frame but seems to be THE answer.

This Thanksgiving has been an interesting one though still so much to be grateful for at the end of the day. Happy riding to those who can and peaceful holidays to all.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:58 pm

Exvet many of our small animal clinics locally have been sold to corporations. I’m not sure it’s a good thing for many reasons. My small animal vet is a mobile vet and sticking it out. I love having her be able to drive up and care for my pets. There are some drawbacks in that she does not have some capabilities that larger clinics do and I’ve had some emergencies when she was out of town had to go to another practice but that’s rare thankfully. I feel for you and what you are having to manage. Huge cyber hugs.

Yes the upper airway scopes. All too familiar with them. Rip of course was retired last year due to his cicatrix advancing something we’ve dealt with since 2015. He sounds like a roarer at this time. While I’ve cared for a horse who had double tie back surgery it’s not something I’ve dealt with in my own horses. Surgery won’t fix Rip’s issue and is contraindicated actually. Jingles you get some helpful answers. On the weight loss front I put Joplin on insulin wise recommended by my vet after her metabolic panel came back good. She lost weight easily on it. Of course I also soak hay and forage based diet etc etc for my fat ponies.

Thanksgiving was a good day. My mom turned 86 the day before so we celebrated her birthday on thanksgiving. Still some family strife with all of this particularly with my sister but DH bless him bends over backwards to help me out. As well as dealing with a busy law practice he’s a partner in. His profession allowed me to be a sahm for our son. It took us 4 years and a miscarriage to have our son I was determined to be there to support him knowing my DHs schedule rarely allowed for such flexibility during the school day. So I went on the field trips or band comps or dentist and doctor visits. We made that decision when we struggled with infertility or I did for some reason. I know many mom’s don’t have that flexibility. My own mother worked as well. Anyway hope all had a restful peaceful Thanksgiving for all those who celebrate

Happy riding all!

Looking forward to Cedar clinic next weekend!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:37 pm

Wow Exvet, lots going on. You are so right to put your foot down when they keep demanding more, more, more. I hope you can get things figured out with Junior and continue on towards your goals.

I just came in my from my second day of lessons. Yesterday Tesla was just horrid. She stopped and grew roots worse than she has in several months, and the entire ride was just getting her to stretch over the back and go forward. Then I brough Annabelle out and she took an off step in the warmup and we determined that she was just NQR enough not to do the lesson. This morning it was mixed rain and snow, but we were able to reschedule for later morning and ended up with pretty nice weather and footing outside. Tesla did a complete 180 and was forward and wonderful. We got some really nice work out of her and are starting to play with HP and some forward and back in the canter. She and my instructor were both game to keep going around the 50 minute mark, but I felt like my legs were about toast and I still needed to ride another horse.

Annabelle had recovered overnight as well after packing her feet with Magic cushion. We worked on picking up the canter over a cavaletti, first through the trot, and then from walk. Then we were given our first flying changes assignment! Canter on a circle, simple change to CC, then canter to the fence, walk, and pick up the true lead as we turn back onto the circle. It took me a bit to get my mind around this, but A patiently tried to do what I asked. Once we are bouncing proficiently through those transitions, we can try for getting the FC instead of the simple change back to the true lead. We also reviewed the half steps we introduced last month and go the thumbs up that they are going in the right direction.

With any luck we'll get another check-in at Christmas, but otherwise might not have much instruction for the next few months, but I feel like I have a good path forward and plenty to work on. I do wish I knew what was bugging T so much yesterday, but might just have to chalk it up to her moods.
Keep calm and canter on.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:04 pm

@exvet: Good for you for standing up for your boundaries. You don’t owe them anything.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:22 am

Thanks y'all.

khall, Junior is on insulinwise and has been for a few months now. He's also on just bermuda and wellsolve, nothing else except vit. E supplement.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:22 pm

Oh frabjous day! The indoor arena footing is done and I've ridden 2 days in a row! All 3 gaits! Unsupervised! I might even remember how to do this if I work hard at it :)

I know it doesn't sound like much, but I've been having real trouble shaking off the remnants of the pneumonia and so I am not at my fittest and most confident, so it was a thing for me. Potters was a very good boy and we even did a bit of real work today.

I'm hoping that the weather forecast will prove wrong for tomorrow and I can get to the barn and do it again. I need some repetition to prove to myself that I am capable of this and am not just wasting a very good horse and an awful lot of money just dinking around.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:10 pm

Glad you're on the mend moutaineer but I do understand, currently fighting off some sort of respiratory illness myself. Yesterday was a beautiful day and perfect for trail riding. This is why we live here.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:54 pm

Exvet, I hope your PTO battle is resolved quickly and you don't have to fight for what you have earned. When is Jr's scope scheduled? The trail riding pictures are beautiful!

Mountaineer--great news! sounds like there is a lot of productive winter riding ahead!

Chisamba--great to see you riding and in much less pain than before! Hope you are continuing to heal.

This year I'll be entering my first winter in several years without a covered arena. So, I'm curious to see how much weather gets in the way. In the summer, even if we have a lot of rain, the heat and sun are so aggressive that things dry out quickly. We also had an uncharacteristically dry summer and fall. In winter, it's trickier--a few days of rain can leave everything muddy. We had rain on Friday and then again Saturday night. So the arena wasn't rideable yesterday, but I was able to take advantage of the fields/hills. We're scheduled for more rain this week and next.

Still debating whether to enter the recognized show in a couple weeks. Entries are due Wednesday. Would be taking RP back out at 1-3. But would be new tests and likely cold and wet.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:16 pm

Exvet I need to visit your state! Such a beautiful place to ride! I’m envious. Are there many covered arenas for the summer heat? Something we deal with here too. It’s always such a shock to me to go west after living in humid green south. Depending on where DS ends up at some point DH and I may look to move.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:43 am

I hate to tempt fate, but Potters seems to have a very different vibe about the indoor arena so far this winter even though it's still a bit chaotic in there and full of things that would have sent him over the top last year.

I had a nice ride this morning but we do seem to have completely lost our left lead walk/canter depart. We will get a lesson on Wednesday and will no doubt find where it is hiding. In the walk, I suspect.

I hit the approaching snowstorm about halfway home. The first white knuckle ride over the pass and through the canyon of the year, but I beat the worst of it, from the look of the road chaos on the local news. Glad I got my snow tires on last week! I think tomorrow is going to be a very good day to work from home.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:45 am

My doctor said I know you have been riding so I just put my head in the sand like an ostrich, but you are cleared to do whatever you like just don't fall. Lol. I'm still to do physio because my balance and strength are not up to par yet, and still two weeks at least off work ( I work solo overnight and have to do transfers and one of my client has drop seizures and requires support) I cannot run yet. I tried. And I walked on uneven ground teaching a cross country lesson and was definitely off balance so I understand the precautions.

I suspect riding Beauty should be postponed a bit ( don't fall lol ) but kimba and Saiph and my safe client horses are all perfect.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:38 am

Everyone has been so busy and productive. I have continued to be quite sore post PRP but finally starting week 3, the soreness is starting to abate. I start PT this week and I started rowing this morning. The protocol said bike riding but I don’t have a gym membership and no bike but I do have a rowing machine. Doctor said I could row to my hearts content. I am going to work that into my routine.

Exvet…the desert looks devine and that sky…so blue.

Kyra has had some work. Initially just lunging as I couldn’t walk very fast. I got brave and last Saturday put her in long reins. That went pretty well until she decided there was something down in the creek that was going to get her and her nice correct C bend inverted on that side of the arena EVERY time. I finally took her into that corner and she went …what is the problem?

Today I got back on. I wasn’t sure the footing would be thawed out as there was a 1/2 inch of snow on it but it was nice and soft. We did a walk only ride. I like not hurting so much so I wasn’t going to push it. She was a bit saucy. First she was sure all the weird shadows from the bushes and snow were sinister but she got over that and we just walked and walked. I did incorporate LY, rein-back, figure 8’s and 1/4 TOF and 1/4 TOH on a square so I tried to keep her brain engaged. Then 2 deer jetted down the driveway and up the hill across the road. That distracted her and then she decided or realized she was all alone and totally focused on all her peeps back at the barn. Once I refocused her attention briefly, I got off. I was in no shape to get into any kind of fight with her. Ahh winter. I know I didn’t wear enough clothes to the barn and she had her lighter blanket on so I wouldn’t be surprised she was cold and a bit antsy.

The weather is supposed to be bad for the rest of the week so riding will be a crap shoot. We will see. I am going to use this time to focus on the hip and get sound. I will have PT a couple times a week so that may cut into the horse time but it is a commitment I have to make.

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:00 am

The good news is that we have our canter departs back now I have him in front of my leg and with some semblance of collection. Funny how that happens.

The bad news is that the spooky corner has become spooky again now it seems like it might be a way to divert attention from actual working. But no, my little orange friend... I'm not falling for that this year!

Briskly cold and windy today and for the next few days, with a snowstorm overnight on Thursday. Horses are all feeling a bit sharp!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:43 pm

I was surprised to find it was 41 degrees when I headed out to the barn this morning. I rode Tesla in the indoor at first, doing some trot, then walk over cavaletti and trot off again. I think this was a great way to loosen her back up in the smaller space. After that we spent some time working on keeping her from falling on the right shoulder in the T/W transitions, and started to introduce proper ToH to start getting better control of that rogue right shoulder. As it got light, the drizzle abated and I realized the outdoor was thawed and not too waterlogged, so we went and did some more work out there, finishing with big stretchy walk with bend to try to loosen that left side. She is kind of having one of her regressive periods where she is wanting to stop and push back against the leg, so I am just trying to be zen and know she'll work out of it. I also noticed recently that the saddle was a little low in front and roughing up her hair at the back, so I consulted with my fitter and will be going over there next week to get a little flocking up front. When she saw her photos she said "oh she's toned up and has withers, the saddle will be perfect now!" So hopefully getting the saddle addressed will help her adjust to her current new balance and we can start getting past this most recent rut.

With A this morning, I did a Ride iQ rider position lesson, so it was very basic stuff for her, but highlighted that we need to spend more time simply walking forward and straight on the bit. The left lead canter depart also started out as a big mess, and per the lesson had to repeat the transition a few times without letting myself turn into a pretzel, but rather sit straight and get her jumping forward with a solid tap from the whip. I think we could both stand to do this lesson at least once a week for a while to improve all the other stuff.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:32 am

Good News! Junior doesn't have any serious anatomical issues or upper/lower respiratory disease! He does have some delay in response to closing his arytenoids which my colleague thinks is full explanation for his 'noises' but nothing that isn't manageable. She also commented on the amount of mucous we saw in his tract. To me, living with him every day I didn't think there was an abnormal amount, but she was explaining that since she's lived in Arizona, she's noticed more coughing, more lower airway disease, and more air pollution (poor air quality) which she think is all related. I would have to agree with her, but I always have chocked it up to living next to one of Taylor Sheridan's depots of reining horse prospects. Either way she gave me some suggestions of things to try and the green light to continue the dressage training.........so on we went today with working both boys. Now I have to get off my but and fill out entries for the January show.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:03 pm

Great news, Exvet!

Do you mind sharing her suggestions on how to address mucus?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:23 pm

That is great to hear, ExVet!

We have air quality issues here too. It was strange that this summer, A didn't cough at all at the beginning of our rides, like she did in past summers. But since fall, she has needed to cough a few times when she starts working. The first one is usually accompanied by a fart that sounds like a gunshot, and really grabs everyone's attention.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:02 pm

Blob,

Nothing earth shattering. She told me to put him on high Omega 3 and do a trial of hydroxyzine. So, since I have the chunky pony and have used Platinum Performance Skin & Allergy before with success on Morgan, I ordered that for Junior and compounded hydroxyzine. Like I tell my small animal clients, I'm going to start both and keep a journal for a minimum of 2 weeks to see if symptoms decrease/improve by 50%. I think it's important to note that Junior doesn't cough when being ridden and never has except for when he clearly has had a URI which has been twice in his life. He does have his loud respiratory noises (again intermittent) and this past year the stamina issues have been more pronounced. He has and does occasionally cough in turnout, mostly associated with eating as do the other two he's turned out with so the air quality issue I tend to think has some component to it. I have to laugh because this is the FIRST OTHER VET who made a very distinct comment that Junior is a FIT fat and really didn't think his weight could be blamed for what's going on..................either we're both crazy and barn blind or some vindication at last ;) He's staying on the calorie restricted diet at least for now but I think if we are able to progress up the levels THAT is going to have to change just based on my experience with Monty, Morgan, Resi (though with stallions their calorie burn is always different).

The other thing I've been experimenting with is his head position and contact. During the exam we were talking about dressage and 'those' issues. We are both on the same page regarding that the Welsh Cob breed and those with similar conformation are likely more sensitive and have far less forgiveness in compressing and closing down their airways (so things like sucking the tongue back have a greater magnitude of effect (neg) on the airways) especially when greater demand for air passage (when working harder) is needed. I've been riding Junior in his western bridle - same bit as my 2 dressage bridles that I use on him (Passier snaffle with flash and the micklem) and comparing. He makes far less noise in the western bridle. So my next step is pulling out his sire's double bridle and taking off the curb.........and riding in just a snaffle, no flash obviously and see if I ride in a totally up and open way, even taking the risk of being a tad above the bit (trying to keep him through the back though) if I get a less tired pony........I think you know what my suspicions and expectations are ;)
Last edited by exvet on Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:19 am

Interesting Exvet. Thanks for sharing the results of Junior’s exam. Hopefully all your documenting will get you to having a perky pony with stamina.
Kyra had a real problem with the smoke here this summer for a couple weeks. I hadn’t seen the air that bad here before but Idaho was burning so most of it was “local”. It took her a couple weeks after the air cleared to quit coughing (occasionally) during work.

Well…I think winter is really here :P . I asked a couple fellow boarders if they had been to the arena and if it was workable. Sue said it was thawed to about 1/2 inch…ok to walk and trot. Um no. We tried a couple laps at walk and she kept tripping on the lumps. I probably should have gotten the hint to bag the riding thing when I got a very obvious stink eye when I came out of the tack room with her saddle pad (instead of treats :lol:). Nevertheless, I was on her so we just did a short ride of the roads on the property…maybe 3/4 of a mile. At least it was something.

Unless we get enough snow to cover the frozen arena, I guess it will just be hand walking. Out ‘winter’ started about a month early this year. Hoping for an early spring I guess.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:34 pm

Yeah, it is snowing right now. At least the skiers will be happy. I'm glad my two extra pairs of winter breeches arrived from Poland a few days ago. They are going to get some use this year.

I hauled Tesla out Friday afternoon and it's nice to see that she is now pretty much at the "tack up and ride" stage, though she does kind of suck back at new places. I only managed to get her into the canter once, and wasn't about to go nuclear on her with a bunch of strangers in the arena. We did get some pretty decent trot work though. A family arrived towards the end of our ride with a 4-5 year old boy riding a mule. There are mules on the property that T has seen from a distance before, but I wasn't sure how this was going to play out. She just did. not. care. The kid cut directly in front of us so that I had to pull her up to not run them over and she never batted an eyelash. Last night we had the little indoor to ourselves, so I was able to get after her and put the CAN back in canter.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”