Holiday Euro Style

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
HafDressage
Herd Member

Holiday Euro Style

Postby HafDressage » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:57 am

I've always been told that at some point the Euros go on holiday for a month and the horses take about a month off and that this occurs at most barns. I have always been at barns where we ride and train all year round with no more than a week off most of the time. So, my big question is, should horses take large chunks of time off? When it comes to human athletes, a month off would not be uncommon, but equine athletes are trained in a more consistent less intense manner for the most part. So, how does everyone feel about this?

I usually go visit my fam for 2 weeks over the Christmas break and I'm always totally conflicted about whether to give my boy the time off or to have someone work him. The trade off seems to be that without work, he turns wild and breaks the fence or gets into some other sort of mischief and then when I get back he acts like he's never been ridden before. Donkey haflinger. On the other hand, I wonder if it is just a good idea to give his body some rest and build back up after the break.

What are you thoughts either philosophically or in particular to my situation?

AmityBee
Herd Member

Re: Holiday Euro Style

Postby AmityBee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:53 am

First of all. "Euros"?! Right now, the EU just by itself consists of 28 member states, and there are 47 countries on the euopean continent. Every single country has it's own cultural traditions, habits and practices. So, no, the "euros" do not go on two months of holiday, and I seriously doubt that there is a single country out there where people get a two months holiday break during the winter.

What I can say is, that I have never heard of anything like that here in germany. Of course some people ride less in the winter, just like anywhere else when it's dark and cold, because they do not feel like it. And yes, the "grüne Saison" is over, meaning there are only a very few indoor events during the winter months, so people might tend to hack more or train a little less, giving their horses a bit of a mental and physical break.

On the other hand, many riding clubs host x-mas parties or shows where the kids (and somtimes the adults too) show their riding skills to parents and family (quadrille, mounted games, stuff like that) and they train for those.

But over all in my +30 years of riding, I have never heard of anything like a "euro winter riding break".

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:51 am

Interesting question! I was struck by a comment from Arthur Kottas, to the effect that horses do not learn anything when standing in their stalls. That was the gist of it, but perhaps not the exact words. Breaking up the training week with lots of variety makes more sense to me than a period of layoff in the depths of winter. This assumes that an indoor arena or a ring with good footing and lighting is available. We did not have those amenities years ago, and there were many rides across snowy or icy fields and lanes, in the dark, after school. Shiver!

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:13 pm

If you know your horse does not do well without work (breaks fences, acts "untrained" etc.), keep him in work.

My mare is much happier and more physically comfortable with regular work throughout the year.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:05 pm

AmityBee wrote:First of all. "Euros"?! Right now, the EU just by itself consists of 28 member states, and there are 47 countries on the euopean continent. Every single country has it's own cultural traditions, habits and practices. So, no, the "euros" do not go on two months of holiday, and I seriously doubt that there is a single country out there where people get a two months holiday break during the winter.

What I can say is, that I have never heard of anything like that here in germany. Of course some people ride less in the winter, just like anywhere else when it's dark and cold, because they do not feel like it. And yes, the "grüne Saison" is over, meaning there are only a very few indoor events during the winter months, so people might tend to hack more or train a little less, giving their horses a bit of a mental and physical break.

On the other hand, many riding clubs host x-mas parties or shows where the kids (and somtimes the adults too) show their riding skills to parents and family (quadrille, mounted games, stuff like that) and they train for those.

But over all in my +30 years of riding, I have never heard of anything like a "euro winter riding break".

LOL. Read over my post a little more carefully next time. First, "euros" is said tongue-in-cheek. I am generalizing of course to more common European practices, but lets not act like this is some sort of massive offense or that generalizing to "Europe" is somehow an insane suggestion. Second, I never said anything about 2 months. I was under the impression that going on holiday was 3 or 4 weeks. Third, I was generally told that it could occur anytime in summer or winter, but I thought it was common in summertime.

My larger point was about giving horses large chunks of time off and whether that is a good thing or not. Now, if I'm wrong about that practice in Europe, then that is totally cool. I've had several people say this to me and I thought I'd come across many articles on Eurodressage that support that statement, but if I'm wrong I'm wrong. No big deal and certainly we can still discuss whether this is a good thing or not.

piedmontfields wrote:If you know your horse does not do well without work (breaks fences, acts "untrained" etc.), keep him in work.

Yes, I'm leaning this way. Maybe at least a ride or two to keep his brain occupied.

ElaPe
Novice

Postby ElaPe » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:59 pm

In Europe, even in the colder countries such as Scandinavian countries, they have competitions all year round, except maybe from eventing in the winter, but still the eventers might just go to a dressage and jumping shows. So the horses do not really get months off with doing nothing.

In the old days, when there were not so many covered arenas and shows organised in them, it was a natural thing to give horses a break during winter, with no real training but maybe some walks now and and some trail ride if the sno allowed for that.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:25 pm

This topic has come up many times on forums, and I am always shocked at the views some people have.

Excerpt: "It is not recommended that horses be let down completely—except during recuperation from injury—because large oscillations in fitness are detrimental to long-term soundness."
Source: http://www.aaep.org/info/horse-health?publication=878

LTison
Greenie

Postby LTison » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:21 am

Lol!! I knew what you meant hafdressage!!!

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:01 am

Great post and thanks for the article too. I have to wonder about the horse's mind when they have a longer break too. Example, my horse had about 6 weeks off due to an acute injury and then my two week vacation. He was ridden 2 X week during vacation, but nothing like his 4-5 day/week routine.

Now that I am bringing him back into work, I feel like he's mentally 'still on vacation'. I'm working really hard to reinstall responsiveness to my aides and it's not easy work! I've had the vet out to evaluate his joints, and a vet/chiro to see him and no real physical barriers. We just can't seem to find our inner forward & work ethic.
Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:17 am

HafDressage wrote:LOL. Read over my post a little more carefully next time. First, "euros" is said tongue-in-cheek. I am generalizing of course to more common European practices, but lets not act like this is some sort of massive offense or that generalizing to "Europe" is somehow an insane suggestion. Second, I never said anything about 2 months. I was under the impression that going on holiday was 3 or 4 weeks. Third, I was generally told that it could occur anytime in summer or winter, but I thought it was common in summertime.

I certainly don'd feel offended being called a "euro". ;) BUT, especially on boards like this "europe" usually equals five or six countries and that just isn't Europe (or even the EU). Plus, generalizations are always a bad idea. I'f you can't do it for the US you can't do it for the EU. I mean, do people ride the same all year through in the US? No, some live in Fl some go to Fl, some live in the heat some in the cold, some in very horsey areas, some in the middle of nowhere. Some show a lot some not at all.

And, yes, there are people in Europe who get larger chunks off (mostly during summer) because some companies still do vacation close-downs. But it is not that common anymore.

HafDressage wrote:My larger point was about giving horses large chunks of time off and whether that is a good thing or not. Now, if I'm wrong about that practice in Europe, then that is totally cool. I've had several people say this to me and I thought I'd come across many articles on Eurodressage that support that statement, but if I'm wrong I'm wrong. No big deal and certainly we can still discuss whether this is a good thing or not.

All I can say is that I have never heard or seen anything like that in the area in germany where I live. I know people give their sport horses "active" breaks but it certainly isn't considered good practice or horsemanship to put a highly trained athlete in his box stall for two month with a couple of hours turnout (at the most).

Indoors are not that hard to come by. Around here, if you are serious about riding you need one all year round anyways. Turn out all through the winter months is a different story. It is much more common now than it was 20 years ago but many barns still don't offer more that a hour or two of turnout. What I have seen though, is people too lazy to ride in the dark/cold, to bored to ride in the indoor all the time, affraid to ride because their horses are getting too "fresh". But those are the same people who don't ride when it's too hot or if there are too many insects or if it's too windy... and you can find those everywhere. ;) :D

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:54 am

I've had the opposite experience. My horse gets 3 weeks or so off in the summer (my 10 day vac and the time leading up to it, as going out of town takes a lot of prep on my part), and invariably 3-4 weeks in the winter (in Jan-Feb we can count on a really bad period of cold and/ or freezing rain, and I have no indoor and ride after dark). It's never done her anything but good. She never forgets a thing, and she always seems refreshed and more ready for work after a break. Sometimes it even seems as if she has thought about stuff and does it better!

My horses are out 24/7, though, which means that Des doesn't lose condition--or not much--since she never stops moving. I'm sure it would be very different for horses stalled 10+ hours a day. But I feel that everyone deserves and benefits from some time off, so even if a horse does lose some condition, it's worth doing for the mental benefit. If you need a break sometimes, why doesn't your horse?

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:39 pm

I have done both. When i was young i was the trainer of all the young horses that my family bred. I also went to boarding school, so the horses were trained over four periods over the year. Ten days, four weeks, ten days, eight weeks was my home schedule. some horses did very well with it and some did not, however when i was not home they were out 24/7 in huge pastures ( the pastures at home were bigger than most farms here) with hilly terrain and uneven footing. Our main horse pasture was about fifteen acres, with a large valley in the middle.

since i have moved to the USA and have had the horses much limited by human property lines, i do not rest them for large periods of time. I believe that horses are designed to move it keeps their feet, stomachs and minds happier to be able to move. not always in an arena, but also not in a paddock that you can cross in ten seconds. Anyway, because most of the farms i have been on since i have been in the USA tend to limit the natural movement of horses, i do not rest them for long periods of time, unless they are injured and require rest. If I had the space i would more inclined to allow horses larger chunks of time off.

i am not as inclined as some veterinarians to go to stall rest for some injuries either, based mostly on experience.

On a side note i am with Amity Bee on this one, i am not fond of broad brush generalized comments whether they are tongue in cheek or not.

Shadowfax
Greenie

Postby Shadowfax » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:35 pm

I don't think horses lose fitness as fast as some people think, and a couple weeks off during the holidays when the rider is too busy with other obligations, or a few weeks off in the dead of winter isn't going to do any harm. I know that I don't get good rides when I can't feel my fingers, and when I'm stressing about the holiday or work I don't have the patience I need to ride well.

I fretted and worried about conditioning my mare for a short intro to endurance ride in the spring after having several months off during the winter from hell. She trotted into the finish with her ears up and passed her vet check with flying colors. I on the other hand, needed to be scooped off the ground.

ProudHorse
Greenie

Postby ProudHorse » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:40 am

I know this system. In France for example some clubs send horses out to pasture for 6 weeks in summer when owners are on vacation so the horses can relax and have "horse time". I know Colonel Carde's Junker went on such vacation but also some of the Golden Gate horses in SF. If a horse goes from a stall and limited to no turnout to being able to graze and move around in a grass pasture, there is limited loss of fitness and conditioning. The horses come back relaxed. There is a re-introduction period. Personally, I think horses physically/mentally can use time off from riding.
Compassion is not a four letter word.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:52 am

I believe in this system, particularly for younger horses (<8) but I would probably recommend a longer break, and in winter rather than summer (at least in Canada).
For the better part of 10 years I boarded at a barn without an indoor arena which in this climate means schooling from Christmas until March or April is limited to daylight hours and totally dependant on how much snow or freezing rain has fallen. Needless to say it generally means that for those months we hack on weekends weather permitting with little to no schooling. I found that by March my mare was excited to start schooling and came back from the break having synthesized skills we may have been struggling with in the fall, and mentally refreshed. As for injury, she has never been lame in the 12 years I have owned her, so from my experience taking winters off has been great. Of course the downside is that our progress through the levels has been a tad bit slower than someone who has schooled year round. The upside is I have a horse with almost no resistances who loves her job. As she got older I don't think the winter off was necessary, but until she was about 8, I really think the time off was good for her mental wellbeing.

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Horses definitely hold their condition a lot longer than people. Their muscles work differently.

After a month of stall rest, there is some loss of oxidative enzymes in the muscles, but this has little effect on performance. However, after six months of rest, horses have more difficulty completing a standard exercise test—

I've read you can go up to six weeks of no training with very little impact on the horse. But not standing in their stall. I find it very, very beneficial to allow horses some time off on pasture every year. It allows time for little aches and pains to heal. It allows young horses time to grow and older horses time to rest. But mostly, horses seem mentally refreshed and ready to work again. Having the time out on a field can also help with many more serious injuries and lamenesses, at your vet's directive.

Not all horses appreciate it. My 31 year old goes feral with too much time off.

Return to “Dressage Training”