Are internet BBs still relevant?

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chancellor
Site Admin

Are internet BBs still relevant?

Postby Chancellor » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:06 pm

I am not noticing a lot of activity here on Definitely Dressage. I'm sort of wondering if people are actually coming here anymore.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Re: Are internet BBs still relevant?

Postby SnowHorse » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:54 pm

I'm here! I like to read other people's stuff even when I rarely post anywhere but my bobcat thread.

I also participate on other BBs (photography) elsewhere.
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:54 pm

I'll be honest. I thought that by now, I would be able to maybe get some advertising budget to offset the $600 dollars a year I'm paying for this. I mean, it isn't that much money but still it is money!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:29 pm

I’m not involved in a lot of technological sites (ie Facebook, ticktock etc), but I enjoy coming here and to the other board :D . Mostly I just read, but I thoroughly enjoy reading. I’ve come to feel like I know most of the people who contribute here. I also like that this is a much friendlier board than the other board. I hope you won’t decide to close it down. However I do understand the financial aspect. I too have noticed less participation but hoped it was due to a busy season. Thank you for what you have done with this board.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:47 pm

I do check in here regularly. Haven't been posting much because I have a lot more going on with sheep than horses in my life right now LOL!
I would spam everyone with sheep pictures but it's a bit tedious to post pictures on BBs vs other kinds of media. If finding it tedious means I'm doing it wrong, someone please enlighten me!

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby blob » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:15 pm

The monthly training thread is definitely the most active, but it's also something I very much look forward to reading daily

demi

Postby demi » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:48 pm

I like the training thread, too. DDBB dressage training forum is unique in that if one really follows it, it’s possible to see the progress over time, of some good horses and very competent riders. I, too, find it tedious to post pictures, but the pictures are a big reason I like to follow the training forum. On the other board, people talk about their progress but the continuity is missing. On this training forum, there is continuity, plus, it is verified by pictures. The videos are usually even more helpful, and they are easier to post than still pictures.

It takes some effort to write good descriptions of the training processes we are going through, and the people on this board are good at it. I appreciate that. We also get USDF show results of the horses AND good clinic reports of our riders and horses that have participated with some very well known and respected clinicians.

All that being said, my life has turned upside down and I have not had the heart to write about my dressage journey, or even follow the others. That is changing, though, and I am close to getting back to participating.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:02 am

Quelah wrote:I do check in here regularly. Haven't been posting much because I have a lot more going on with sheep than horses in my life right now LOL!
I would spam everyone with sheep pictures but it's a bit tedious to post pictures on BBs vs other kinds of media. If finding it tedious means I'm doing it wrong, someone please enlighten me!

I would love to see pics of your sheep! Linking to a Flickr album might be an easy way to do it.

I realize that BBs are not seen as THE way for communication any more, but the conversations here (and even TOB) are more meaningful and useful to me. I'm in some horse-related FB groups and the format makes it impossible to follow a thread or have a meaningful discussion. I know, Chancellor, that you've said before that you don't want to charge or take contributions for this board, but I get value out of it, and would be happy to chip in accordingly. I also feel like I know the frequent and long-term posters here and it's great to follow their progress, ups and downs over time. In the social media world it seems like people want to present only their success, or use it for their soapbox and soundbites. This feels much more like real life.
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:15 am

Agree, SF, that this board does feel much more like real life. Also, I would be happy to contribute to support this board.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:27 am

Chancellor maybe a Patreon account? I'd kick in $20 a month, I'm sure a few others would as well. Then at least you wouldn't be out of pocket.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:09 am

I like the BB’s much better than other forms of SM. Of course, I am old, not technologically savvy and don’t want my life splashed out for all to see or meddle in.

I too would be happy to kick in some $$ to keep this low key and helpful BB.

Susan

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:14 am

I'd love sheep pics!! And I'm a huge fan of our low-drama board. I've cut out a bunch of SM — ahem, Twitter, and much of Facebook — because the drama was just too invasive.

Would you consider a subscription, Chancellor? I'm happy to contribute either monthly or annually.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:30 pm

Oh wow! Ok. If you guys are getting value out of this board, then so be it. Again, the money is not that much. But I didn't want to continue the board if no one was getting value out of it.

And Quelah, I need to hear about sheep. I am a handspinner and I ALWAYS want sheep pictures.

Let me talk to DH about maybe a subscription. Like $10/year? I want to make it easier for those of you who do pay for the subscription to do stuff like post pictures etc. So, let me see what we can come up with.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:49 pm

Late to the discussion but I too have found this board to be very constructive, supportive and one I visit daily, part of my routine. I too would be willing to pay for a subscription. I agree completely with all the points that demi makes regarding what makes this board so helpful. While it's not as 'active' as the other board I too find that it's far easier to follow and read, thus getting true value out of the information.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:00 pm

I think this BB on the training thread is genuine, helpful and fairly unique in its track of progress and mutual respect. I would hate to lose it.

Kirby's Keeper
Novice

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:08 pm

I post very infrequently, but I do check in to see what is going on. I follow the training threads even though I'm not riding currently. I like the diverse approaches to problems. I always learn something new. I've also gotten few great recipes :D
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:09 pm

I come here frequently to see if there are new posting. Unfortunately, not a lot of activity. I read thru the majority of the topics.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:26 pm

I prefer BBs to other forms of social media. I would gladly pay a subscription to be a member of this board.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:24 am

I also post infrequently these days. But I’m here and usually check the board at least once a day, sometimes more. I’d be happy to pay some sort of subscription to keep it going. I’ll also attempt to post more often to help liven things up.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:49 am

I enjoy the training threads and would love to see more people on it.I'm always in to have a read. I'll pull my finger out and post more, but unfortunately I feel the FB/instagram stuff has taken over BBs.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:01 am

Flight wrote:I enjoy the training threads and would love to see more people on it.I'm always in to have a read. I'll pull my finger out and post more, but unfortunately I feel the FB/instagram stuff has taken over BBs.

I feel like the instagram/FB thing have taken over as well. However, as others have noted, I also feel that it is much harder to follow along.

Fzybtfrm
Greenie

Postby Fzybtfrm » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:53 pm

OMG, Yes, I definitely get something out of this board! Every day off I check my bank account, read COH forums and come directly to this board to see what new insights I might glean from all these crazy people who are as fascinated by the dressage journey as I am. I keep my horses at home so do not have a "barn community" to interact with, and while I rarely post, I have learned so much from reading on this site, and have learned that I am not the only poor soul who has life, work, and family complicating their desire to become a Dressage Queen and how they have made it work! I have checked out many other dressage training sites and they mostly are advertisements for some trainer's method or books, or DVD's. I HAVE an instructor, but for those of us who like to (or must) train our own there is nothing like hearing about other people's difficulties, tips, and WOW moments to keep one inspired to get out to the barn and keep at it! THANK YOU so much sponsoring this board and Yes, I would gladly pay a small stipend to keep it up!

khall

Postby khall » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:18 am

I rarely visit tob this I visit every day. The training thread is a highlight for me. It’s great to see the progress of all and I’m happy to share here. Tob would never! I do participate a bit on FB but here is the most useful to me other than my clinics.

$10 year subscription is very fair.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:52 pm

Late to the party, but yes, I find this board a very valuable resource that I would be happy to contribute to financially.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:59 am

OMG how did I miss this for a few days??! Agree with everyone else, I love this board, visit daily, try to post semi-regularly, and very much feel part of a community here. Would be happy to pay for the privilege.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:29 am

I'm here regularly although I don't always post. But I love reading along. I'd pay a small fee.

I'd be so sad to lose this forum. Thank you for all you do.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:17 pm

I enjoy checking in here. I'd be happy to pay a small amount to help cover your overhead.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:30 pm

Agree with everyone. This is a valuable board. There are many boards, but the ones with SO many people are not worth replying to because you're just talking to yourself. Here the number of people is low enough that you feel you know most of them and can actually have conversations, not be lost because the reply is 500 posts later. I would be happy to contribute, too.

The niche of DD is the numbers are lower so you know people, but the knowledge is higher. On reddit there can be a lot of people replying with NO clue, and the less you know the more you know syndrome, and they really like to get offended when they get their crap responded to with facts. Coth is, well, you know.

musicdoc
Greenie

Postby musicdoc » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:46 am

Chancellor, I have just come back after several years. i am so happy to see names I used to engage with on the old board. If you need subscriptions, then I'll happily contribute. I hope you're enjoying Wien!! My favorite place in the world, 2nd is Davos, Switzerland, where we watched a show jumping competition in the snow!!

Musicdoc

Return to “Dressage Training”