Pixem vs Pixio etc

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Quelah
Herd Member

Pixem vs Pixio etc

Postby Quelah » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:03 pm

I think this was the right forum to put this in...

Those of you who use Pixem or Pixio or similar for remote lessons, which do you have and how do you like it?

Why did you chose the one you did and are you happy with your choice?

I'm not interested in recording my rides, this is just for remote lessons. One thing I haven't quite grasped is how you communicate with your instructor? Seems simplest would be to call them and keep the call going during the lesson and wear an earbud or am I oversimplifying it?

I know there's a FB group for P&P but that seems to be mostly troubleshooting. Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Pixem vs Pixio etc

Postby Flight » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:36 am

I've used PIVO for remote lessons and it's worked well. Just need longer ranged bluetooth earbuds/headphones, although some people just stay a bit closer to their pivo if they have standard ones.

I haven't used Pixio/Pixem. I'd say Pixem might be easier than pixio because you use a phone. I Pixio uses a camcorder so you need to link that back to a laptop. Or you used to when I looked into it a couple of years ago.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:26 am

I use PIvo for remote lessons too. It has a video call feature built into the app so you just send your coach a link to the video call. They can remotely control the camera from their view if needed, if anything is off with the tracking. The auto tracking should work well, as long as you are the only rider in the arena. If not then you may want to turn auto tracking off and then the coach has to pan and zoom themselves.

I use Apple Airpod earphones and they work up until about 55m so if I'm riding in a real full size area they may cut out a bit at the far end. I tried to put the camera in the middle once (E or B) to prevent that but my coach made me move it back - prefers it at A or C. So I either deal with the cut out or just don't ride all the way to the other end of the arena. I think this will be an issue regardless of which system as bluetooth headphones in general will top out at 50ish meters.

I think the benefit of one of the other systems would be better tracking as one (or both?) of them uses an armband to track. If you are regularly riding with other horses in the arena when you will be taking a video lesson then one that will more reliably track you without your coach having to manually control the camera is probably better for you.

One downside of Pivo is they are moving to a subscription, so if you don't already have one, you would have to get a monthly or annual subscription. I can't remember how much it costs. Not outrageous, and they do keep improving the software and app, but it's a factor to consider.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:30 am

Those that have used pivo for a lesson.... Do you need a head set like cee coach to be able to talk back?

Do you need to use zoom or just the pivo app?

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:01 pm

I'll add to Blob's query, I've used cee coach during lessons and find the cord to be annoying, why don't we just call cell phone to cell phone and use a wireless earbud?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:06 pm

Quelah wrote:I'll add to Blob's query, I've used cee coach during lessons and find the cord to be annoying, why don't we just call cell phone to cell phone and use a wireless earbud?

Quelah, outdoors, we use the cellphone and Bluetooth solution with Bluetooth sunglasses. So much easier, especially as you've got to wear sunnies anyway, and the extra earpiece is a bit of a nuisance.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:36 pm

You just use earbuds/phones for PIVO, try and get the longer range (class 1 bluetooth) ones. And just the PIVO app

blob

Postby blob » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:47 am

Flight wrote: And just the PIVO app

How do you call/provide a link via the PIVO app? Sorry for being so clueless!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:12 pm

blob wrote:
Flight wrote: And just the PIVO app

How do you call/provide a link via the PIVO app? Sorry for being so clueless!

When you start a Pivo Meet (video call) in the Pivo app, it generates a link and then you text or email it to the other person. Here is their help center article that reviews how it works.

https://support.pivo.ai/hc/en-001/artic ... %20session.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:14 pm

Quelah wrote:I'll add to Blob's query, I've used cee coach during lessons and find the cord to be annoying, why don't we just call cell phone to cell phone and use a wireless earbud?

I've found using my phone there is much greater delay, often 2-3 seconds, in the audio as compared to using CeeCoach. I either run the headphone cord through my bra strap or wrap it around my helmet straps so that it isn't loose/waving and so that it doesn't get pulled out of my ears.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:16 am

zevida wrote:

I've found using my phone there is much greater delay, often 2-3 seconds, in the audio as compared to using CeeCoach. I either run the headphone cord through my bra strap or wrap it around my helmet straps so that it isn't loose/waving and so that it doesn't get pulled out of my ears.

OK thank you, that's a good reason! A lot can happen in 2-3 seconds!

Return to “Dressage Training”