Getting Dressage-y in 2023: January-February Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Getting Dressage-y in 2023: January-February Goals and Progress

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:04 am

I'm afraid my horse was "that horse" today--a cold, snowy, windy Monday.

He ripped the lunge line out of trainer's hands and took of around the indoor like a bat out of hell--being chased by the lunge line. He eventually came to a screeching halt next to me (I was guarding the door into the aisle.) Fortunately the three other horse that had been in there had just left and we had the arena to ourselves.

He went back to work, but was sufficiently up that I put the unbreakable working student on him to do the riding portion of his session. And yes, he got quite the workout. Little stinker. He was still very bright eyed and bushy tailed when I got him back on the cross ties, but relaxed and had a little doze under the heat lamps, while drying off.

Tomorrow is another day, and he apparently really needed to blow off some steam today. He's been a model citizen recently and a pleasure to ride. I was rather looking forward to today's ride!

Then I had a total butt-clencher of a drive home in driving snow and slush with cars sliding off the highway all around me. I'm so over this winter and it's not even the middle of January yet.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:20 am

Mountaineer-- that sounds a) harrowing and b) intense. Both the weather and Potters' reaction to it (which, from this weak-blooded southerner: totally fair).

Meanwhile back in the mid-70s and sunshine, I've remembered that I promised my dad he could drive Queso in an upcoming parade... and that I have not done any work in months to actually train Queso to drive. Luckily, he's composed 90% of goodwill and the other 10% is just solid Good Boy, because we went on our first solo (no side-walker as back-up) drive and he was foot-perfect aside from getting slightly crooked when we passed the barn ("Is it time to go back in now?").

Look at this Good Boy (who isn't quite this downhill in real life; terrible camera angle but absolute Best Boy so here we are):

He's also been great in the ridden work-- had a series of 5 3-tempis the other day which I enjoyed despite the fact I was really just going for a straight centerline.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:42 am

I'm not having a good week so far.

We've been feeling rather pleased with ourselves that we have finally got him to relax through the spooky corner and past the door, and with the arena gloriously empty of contractors, we have been able to make full use of the whole of the ring.

Today, as I'm trotting across the diagonal towards the spooky corner two enormous roofalanches came down, one in the spooky corner and one diagonally behind us.

We actually survived that and went back to work. But I got overambtious and tried the corner again. He was doing great and then he just disappeared out from underneath me and I went off over his shoulder.

I got back on and finished out my ride but I'm a bit stiff and sore. Heading for a hot bath! While very grateful for the soft new footing I appear to have it in every orifice including my eyelid creases.

But I'm sad that as far as he's concerned he was right about that end of the ring, and is now even more reluctant to go anywhere near it. Working student got on after I was done and worked with him and got him through it, but im pretty sure its going to take a lot more than that to get him over it again.

I'm supposed to be riding in a clinic next week. Not sure its worth it if all we can safely do is ride a 30 meter circle.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:39 am

Moutaineer. How disappointing.
safest horse ever had a roofalanche scare. I'm sorry you to a tumble. I despise those hard crackling roof noises and I sympathize with horses. It tookTeddy quite a long time to get over it but I truly believe spooky horses get over scares quicker than quiet horses. It's like they have had all kinds of practice getting over it so it's just another thing. I'm hoping to give you a positive though about it all.

I had a disappointing day too. Horse I have for consignment sale did not do well in the PPE. Now the owner wants to cut his losses and send him to an auction.

On a better note I managed to get flying change every three strides on the circle with Saiph. She tends to anticipate and I thought it's hard to anticipate on a circle so we tried. I think I need to get my pivo out again.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:52 am

Oh man, Mountaineer, so sorry. We all know how disheartening that can be…on top of the physical pain. Shoot. I had just read your post about about the crazy lunging episode, then I was smiling big after seeing Lynx, (((Darla))), and the melty cheese! (Really sweet.) And then I got to your post today…

After just 10 days into the new year and I need to simplify my my already simple goals. The exercising 2 X a week isnt going to be happening. And riding Rocky twice a week doesnt look good either. Mom’s got to have some extensive dental work done, I broke a tooth yesterday that will require a few trips to the dentist, plus all the usual stuff. I am however managing to ride Besa every day and have videod most or our rides. I love this horse.

If I had the patience I’d post a pic of Rocky and Besa together. They really like each other. They groom each other over the fence, and nicker to each other when one gets out of sight.

I read a very interesting article on training Iberian horses, “The Ferraris of Dressage”, in the latest USDF Connection. So much of it resonates with my experience with Besa. She really is a delight. Rocky has a very similar temperatment, which appreciate, but dressage is difficult for her. Besa, on the other hand, takes to it naturally. Of course, Besa has had very good training, but in spite of me being a real amateur who makes lots of mistakes, I still manage to have a LOT of fun on her.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:26 am

Oh ouch, Mountaineer! I hope you had a nice relaxing evening with a glass of wine. unplanned dismounts are the worst. Poor horsie dude too. Sliding snow is freaky. And in the already scary corner? Ugh.

I manage to video most of our rides too, demi. The pivo is handy. But in terms of usefulness for myself, I’d far rather have mirrors for real-time feedback. Unfortunately, that’s not a possibility at the current place. OTOH, I can go back and critique every frame with the pivo.

Maia and I had a much more productive ride today — lengthening, simple change, shoulder in, and leg yield. The "look to the outside" when asking for a canter tip Straightforward shared really clicked with us. We're no longer having any misfires. Woot!

Now if I could just remember to step into the right stirrup every single time we canter right :roll: Poor girlie has been giving me flying changes and cross canter because I've had her all out of balance. Today was good, just need to build on that!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:56 pm

I'm so sorry for your troubles this week Mountaineer. Feel better and I do hope Potters learns to feel safe again in the scary corner. What a bigger that that all happened right there!

I do find what Chisamba says about spooky horses to be true, at least for some. Lynx is spooky but he's not emotional about it and gets over it quickly. Partly because he's spooking at things that typically pose no real harm.

Chisamba, shame about that sale horse. That's very sad and I'm sure hard on you too.

Queso is looking very handsome. How awesome to let your dad use him in a parade!!

Demi, glad you are enjoying your rides. Hopefully life slows down for you.

Lynx looked great on the lunge the other day although spicy. He was good but you could tell he wanted to play. I went out the next day and let him loose in the arena. Obviously I don't want him on the lunge very much and definitely not acting up. He doesn't really get being that loose in the arena and kind of sticks near me. Lol but he did let loose a bit more in a bigger area although he lets me maintain "control" and I have to tell him to go on and play. He looked great then too.

We introduced the Equicore band, just 5 minutes in hand walking. Even that had an effect! I'll gradually use it in hand to strengthen him.

I might try getting up on him on Thursday. Probably walk only for 10 minutes but we will see.

Best wishes everyone!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:43 pm

Just because I suggested maybe starting to ride again, the weather has been anything but cooperative. Today is beautiful and sunny but wind is 30+mph and 33F. The roads, pasture and my arena are all trapped in a glaze of ice because it snows, then rains, then snow/rains every other day. I walk every- where with my wading stick to 1) maybe keep my from falling and 2) test for slick spots. When I throw hay over the fence I have to throw harder than normal to compensate for sliding backwards (one of Newton's laws I believe). Oh, and just to seal the deal, I had to let my son drive my pickup to Northernn Idaho because his new used car is still being repaired, 3wks and counting for an allegedly simple, scheduled repair. (We bought it with a crumpled hatchback that the owner had already arranged to replace and paid for). I'm with Moutaineer...kinda over this weird winter already :lol:

Sorry about the loss of your consignment horse, Chisamba and your fall, Moutaineer. I'm sure Potters will be a star in the clinic however.

Good news too, though. They theoretically caught the creep who killed those 4 kids in Moscow, Idaho. My son attends school there and is happy to return to a campus where everyone is no longer on edge.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:55 pm

Sue B wrote:
Good news too, though. They theoretically caught the creep who killed those 4 kids in Moscow, Idaho. My son attends school there and is happy to return to a campus where everyone is no longer on edge.

I have been following this case closely. Didn't realize your son was a student there, how scary that must be for the whole campus community.

Ugh Mountaineer, hope you are not too sore today and the next days. I think you should definitely do the clinic--they might be able to help you with corner fear if it's still an issue for Potters.

Ponchi, Queso looks amazing in his driving gear! What an absolute angel for picking it up so quickly!

LSP glad to hear Lynx is looking and feeling good after his time off. I am personally a big believer in time. Strength training/physio is of course important too. But bodies are designed to be self healing and sometimes they need time to do just that.

I have been doing fitness sets with MM on days she's breathing well and long hacks on days she's having more trouble. Currently our good day fitness is 6 min trot, 2m right lead canter, 2m left lead canter, and 6m trot (with walk breaks in between). Our medium day set is 2 6min trot sets. And our not so great day plan is 30-40 minutes of active walking.

I had a few fussy rides with RP. He is so sensitive that when he's like this sometimes it means something is bothering him and sometimes it means that I am crooked,twisted/etc. So, I put him on the lunge Sunday to remove myself from the equation and see what was going on. And he was very fussy/defensive cantering left and started out a bit stiff on the right hind but worked out of it. Usually when he's like this it's one of three things: 1. he's body sore somewhere; 2. his teeth are bothering him; 3. his stomach is bothering him. So, I'm giving him a few days off first and then will lunge again. If he's still fussy will start ulcer treatment (he responds pretty quickly if that's the culprit). And if no difference there, he'll get an appointment with the dentist

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:26 pm

Thanks for all the sympathy, my friends! Not feeling too bad today... a bit stiff and sore in places, but I'll live. And who knew how much sand could fit in an eyeball? It's still feeling scratchy after multiple flushings, and my eye was a sandy, stuck together mess when I woke up this morning. I think I may have to retire my helmet. I must have hit it if I've driven that much sand into my face.

I think the quantities of Ibuprofin are making me feel worse than anything.

Day off today anyway. Back to it tomorrow. I'll make a decision on the clinic after that. I'm not going to try to force the issue with Potters. He's not trying to be naughty, he's genuinely worried about it. I can't see being able to demo a third level ride if we can't get to that end of the arena, and there are auditors, and it is Melissa, who isn't the most patient of souls. There's a pretty healthy waiting list for slots, so I won't feel like I'm letting anyone down.

Ridiculous quantities of snow and rain again overnight. Sue B, I have to say that much as I usually miss my little ranch, I'm not feeling it right about now!

I do love Queso. You have done such a great job with him, Ponichiwa.

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Chisamba! We'll chip away at it. Sorry about the consignment horse. That's hard.

Glad Lynx is doing better, LSP! I agree with Blob, sometimes things just need time, and he's so young.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:37 am

Darn Mountaineer. Are you able to ‘bribe’ him a bit in that corner. Just hang out, unmounted with some tasty treats and make that corner a happy place? Then carry a few treats with you while riding and feed him one in that corner every once in awhile. I don’t know if it would help or not. I hate it when I fall off because that scares Kyra more than whatever made her teleport in the first place. Something really hard to (especially for us of the older persuasion) to practice.

I had a lovely ride tonight. Ms. Kyra was just mellow, relaxed and cooperative. Did a bunch of power walking for warm-up and did some trot sets. Her self carriage is better than those first couple of rides and I have been pretty happy with it. Also did a square with 1/4 TOF then immediately trot off then back to walk at the next corner and rinse repeat. I even did a stretchy circle at the end which was lovely. She took what I gave her and didn’t jump yank her head down and dump on the forehand. We did a couple walking sets up the hill and called it a day. She was very quiet in the mouth and had a lovely positive tension,

I have been worried about the feeding situation (no hay nets) and subsequent tummy issues but I think she is weathering the change pretty well. Is is ideal…no but the B.O.’s husband is just not physically able to net hay for 27 horses by himself never mind cleaning all the stalls. Anyway, thus far, she is much more relaxed than the same time last year and I hope it continues into Spring. She is shedding pretty heavily already so I can make like a yeti for the next 5 months.

Susan

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:09 am

There is a *lot* going on in our various worlds! I was thinking of you in Idaho----did not know that was so close to home, Sue.

I have to fan-person at Queso. What a solid, special beautiful fellow. Well done!

Kyra's mom, I love mixing in TOF with different exercises that require "that leg" to activate. I'm glad Kyra is adapting well. Our older grey mares are so special!

Saiph sounds pretty darn awesome, Chiasamba. I am glad you are not very hurt, M., but Mr. Potters, please take care of your wonderful person! Since I ride a mare that spooks multiple times, every ride, I have some sympathy and feeling for this. Luckily, she has not yet dumped me (come close so many times over the years). Every time she comes close, we have a discussion about the fabulous retirement that is ahead, pending not dropping me (which is not of course true...).

In Emi news, we actually did some canter work this week which ranged between working canter, hand gallop, and semi-collected canter in nice arena footing. She is feeling better! And, my abs are sore, riding a "real" ride again :lol: . And, Emi is shedding the minimal hair that she grows...I do not clip her because there is not much there and she is a true Florida mare who thinks 55 F requires a sheet...

p.s. Demi, I am delighted by your delight in Besa!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:37 am

Great to read all the happenings here. We went to a working equitation practice session yesterday evening! It turns out there is quite an active group about 45 mins trailer ride from our place, and what a welcoming bunch they are. Bonus that one lady is our near-ish neighbour, and another has her horses about 10 mins from our place. It was a pleasantly unorganised session, 6 'obstacles' set out, and people (about 15 in all) just mosied around with their horses, either leading them, walking around, or trotting the various obstacles. Our two boys coped very well, though Connor was very anxious when his buddy moved away from him, I pretty much managed to keep his focus, and it was just a good experience for us. Will look forward to the next one!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:13 pm

Queso looks so cute as a driving pony!

Moutaineer, sorry you came off. Ouch!

KM, glad you're able to get some rides on Kyra again now that the weather is being a little nicer to us.

SueB, hope the wind dies down out there so you can get back to riding.

Piedmont, sounds like Emi is making a great comeback with your diligent care and conditioning!

I am continuing to be stunned by how much the kinesiotape is helping T. Rode in the jumping saddle to check if that was contributing to her sucking back at the grid day. We were outside after dark, no snarkiness when saddling, no naughtiness at the mounting block, and she was forward and swinging right away from the first (did stop two times, but she wasn't really dug in, and let it go quickly). I got up in 2-point and cantered her forward as much as I thought was safe in the fairly wet arena, and she was quite soft and obedient, ears up and happy. In the cooldown she seemed looser and softer in her back than usual. I have her signed up for a jump chute clinic at the end of the month, and it is looking like Carrie Harnden will really come for a clinic this time at the end of March (I think it's been scheduled and canceled 3x over the past year or two), so we'll ride all three days. Might take A if there is space at the last minute, but trying to decide how to allocate my pennies, as I'd really like to go to World Cup too.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:15 pm

Lesson this morning was interesting and of course just underscored where our weaknesses are. We are supposed to have rain starting Sunday and all of my classes on that day are outside. So far the future of our show weekend doesn't look all too positive but as usual we'll take it as it comes. Focus for Junior who shows tomorrow (and outside thankfully) will be to maximize the points we can get in our trot work, walk pirouettes and canter half passes. The rest will be left to whatever we can pull off especially since I won't be heading over the venue until tomorrow and after the show starts. While Junior has definite ponytude which is what is affecting our flying changes, I am blessed that he is so easy to handle and manage since I will be going it alone. Molly's test is exactly the same time as mine in one of the indoor arenas; so, it's unlikely that I'll get any video or pictures. It's too bad because his mediums and extended gaits this morning were so good.

I'll be taking Brandon over Saturday morning. Both of our tests are early and then we're done for the day. The downside is that we're in the indoor which is known to be scary. I won't have time to get him into it before the show starts so we'll see just how 'unflappable' this Morgan is when faced with a brand new (to him) venue. The second class is outside. With rain predicted for Sunday, I'm not sure we'll be able to give First level Test 1 a go as originally planned. Focus for Brandon will be to just give him confidence. We'll just have to see where the scores land, not expecting that my other goals in that regard will be met.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:39 pm

exvet--You can do it! Every time the weather or something makes a show seem a mess, it often turns out the best for me, probably because I'm just so glad I managed to do anything, I'm relaxed. I have a show a week from Sunday and the unending rain is supposed to stop for a few days on Saturday, so I'll just be happy not to warm up in a downpour! (The show arena is covered.) And since it's going to be such a mess, I have zero worries about cleaning them up!

I'm going to be playing with the best color combinations to ride in. Last show I had the blue breeches and black pad, which everyone seems to like, so I'm going to try that inside to see if it eeks out a few more points.

(Man, I had to compress this six times before it was small enough to attach! And, ugh, please put finger over my face. I'm going to work on making a bluer necktie that covers more for this show.)
Attachments
Untitled (1).jpg
Untitled (1).jpg (85.52 KiB) Viewed 43741 times

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:17 pm

Love the picture, Tanga. That mare looks so good! (You too, of course!). Is that Quilla?

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:22 pm

Thank you for the support Tanga and I agree with demi, you two look fab.

Unfortunately, though the weather has been great today, Junior and I failed to impress the judge with anything but a very short back supposedly tense Welsh cob. I say supposedly because he didn't feel that tense to me and honestly his mediums and extended gaits felt like there were most definitely there. The judge simply disagreed, and I don't have a video to sort through it all. I will say that there were several disappointed people from the comments I heard around me; but such is showing. I have the link from my test (first time I've dealt with escribe) which shows that Junior without the flash does open his mouth though I think it's improved over the years. I clearly didn't get a qualifying score, so I'll be looking at showing him either in April or June which are the next recognized "local" shows. Hopefully I can improve on the connection, seems like we never seem to get that part right.

Now was there any good that I can eek out of this? But of course! I love my pony. We hauled in fresh without having schooled at the venue the day before and he was absolutely obedient, calm (which is why I'm scratching my head about the 'tension') and though his first flying change was absolutely ugly it wasn't late and it was in the air, the left to right which is always the more difficult side. As the judge said the other change wasn't in the air but it wasn't the skip a change; so, as Molly says, it's the wrong answer but at least it's a new wrong answer. This means that change (hopefully for the better) is possible. I also must giggle because the judge gave me a higher mark on the extended canter..................not typically where we score higher; so, maybe we are getting better ;) I went by myself without any help so I'm grateful, so grateful to have a safe pocket rocket. I was overhearing all the people who have to drug their horses for this or that and worried about being tested. My pony just followed me around quietly seeking handouts from anyone who passed as I carried all of my tack, grooming trunk, buckets, hay bag and of course the lead rope somewhere in all that mess LOL......

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlo ... reserved=0

Not sure it will get any better tomorrow with Brandon, but he is a different mover; so, perhaps.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:14 am

Nice pic, Tanga.

I'm sorry today's outing didn't go according to plan Exvet. Judging can be a headscratcher sometimes.

I'm feeling pretty much back to normal, though I keep finding different and interesting bruises. My poor left hand is black and blue again and my right hip is a range of colorful shades..

I have not been back on yet--was geared to today but WS was warming him up for me and he and trainer got deep into the weeds on something that need addressing, and then it was obviously time to stop on a good note rather than me getting on and confusing the issue. So probably Monday.

But, it's all good stuff. Basically trying to ameliorate the panic response to being asked to do harder things than he thinks he can do or thinks he wants to do. Certainly some of it is anxiety, but some of it is also an evasion. We've been pushing that envelope recently and doing quite well, but we have reached a point that I don't have the riding skills to work through. It takes a chillier seat than I have to work on this stuff and not make it worse. I'm grateful to have the calm, kind and systematic help that I have, and am confident that it will work out.

And spring will come.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:41 am

Sorry about the judge, exvet. This is what I have been seeing as I posted about. The judges are just scoring lower even though you know it feels/looks better than it was. It's like a notification went out to lower all scores half a point, and don't give an 8 to anything but but super expensive horses. Do you mind sharing which judge it was?

demi wrote:Love the picture, Tanga. That mare looks so good! (You too, of course!). Is that Quilla?

Thank you. I'm hoping they will be much better next weekend. That is Quinn. I get them confused fairly regularly and have to look twice!

What do you think of the black pad versus white? I think maybe the black pad is better. This is with grey breeches and white pad. (Quinn again.) The TD who I see at all of the shows said she likes the black pad and blue breeches best. Luckily I have been able to buy five pair of blue full seat breeches new on FB marketplace for about $25 each.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 6.32.27 PM-min.png
Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 6.32.27 PM-min.png (99.59 KiB) Viewed 43708 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:37 am

Tanga wrote:. Do you mind sharing which judge it was?

Joan Darnell, it's on the score sheet. She did our intro to the new tests symposium, and I thought she was even harder on the rider scores for the non fancy warmblood demo horses.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:51 am

Ooh. Yeah. She's on the low end. She did the AA champs here and the scores were way low, and she was the higher judge! (Roth was super low.)

demi

Postby demi » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:02 am

That explains it. I was disgruntled to see the judge gave exvet 6.5 for rider position and seat. I didnt see the ride but, 6.5?? I don't think so!!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:43 pm

Thanks again y'all; but this is what one expects to deal with when you ride what I ride, no apologies and no regrets. The fact is that Junior will never move like a warmblood and tension/power is the Welsh Cob mantra. It's my job to make it look less tense and I didn't succeed in this judge's opinion. I clinic with a judge very, very similar to Darnell and when I've showed under her she's scored me similarly with purebred Welsh Cobs. She's also given me scores in the 70s when I've shown my Welsh Cob x TB crosses because they did move more naturally over the back and their canters were more like their TB dam's canter which was really nice. She is also the one that helped me earn my silver on Monty and get the stinker pony to PSG; so, there's tradeoffs. My greatest take away is that I need to figure out a way to bring out Junior's power but have him softer in the jaw and accepting the hand at all times. He does so much better accepting the hand now but like many Welsh Cobs he pulls your pants down the instant it ain't perfect. Junior still has a stiffer side, weaker hind leg etc so that's usually when the mouth gaps - when I'm asking him to work through those weaknesses. I do think it's ironic that I was told repeatedly that he needed more engagement which is usually the opposite. This guy gets so far underneath himself that he gets stuck and doesn't know how to lift his forehand up and forward while coming over the back. It's that overriding nature of instinctively using the base of the neck that so many harness bred horses have that I must get him over. As to whether or not the judge realizes that THAT is the real issue, not needing more engagement, I dunno.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:37 pm

Thank you for all the encouragement regarding Lynx guys. We tried the equiband, just in hand at the walk for 5 minutes. It definitely made him use his core more. After it was off it seemed he moved straighter. I'm going to continue using it at the walk in hand, just a few times a week for 5 minutes at a time. That is in addition to other stretches and exercises from Jec Ballou's program (which is similar to what any vet has told me.)

He had his first ride back the other day. The dressage trainer hopped on because I hurt my rotator cuff. We decided that since Lynx hadn't been ridden in awhile, it was best for her to hop on this time. She probably was on him for 10 minutes. Mostly walk but a little "jogging" mixed in just on the straight. He looked like he enjoyed it. The trainer said he felt kind of excited as if anything were to happen (like snow falling or something) He might explode lol. But he didn't, he was trying really hard to think about what was being asked and listen. He looked different. Not sure how to describe it. It look like he was definitely having to work to use his muscles but not necessarily in a bad way. You can tell he hadn't been ridden in a while and he was working with just that 10 minutes.

So we will take it really slow and I will probably hop on towards the end of the week. Might just be a walk only ride. Fingers crossed we can get him fit slowly and carefully.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:54 pm

Well no qualifying score for Brandon either BUT for a horse that went in cold to a very noisy scary indoor arena (2 rings side by side) that he's never set foot in and to do a test we've never shown I was grateful that we managed to squeak by and stay in the 60s. He didn't really spook or do anything truly naughty, just tense and very mouthy/fussy. We actually ended up in fourth place and in the middle of the pack with a 60.69. Then we watched multiple horses spook, bolt, dump their rider while waiting for our next test which was where Junior showed yesterday. The arenas are side by side in the outdoor as well with tents and flags flapping and lots of stuff that obviously was hard for horses to accept. We didn't do much better in terms of scores, a 62 and change but we did get a 7 for our free walk and a 7 for our stretchy circle so at least we're doing some things right. I was so proud of Brandon when he did NOT spook at the announcer (trailer at E) with the lady leaning over the edge or at the judge who seemed to scare both horses in front of us. Again Brandon had no chance to go in before we started our test. Another day of making lemonade out of lemons because we came in first place in our second test and the exposure really let me know what kind of horse I have underneath me.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:48 am

Sounds like a challenging show Exvet. Seems like it makes us a stronger rider though.

We aren’t getting rain anything like California but I am really tired of wet. Poor horses are stuck in their stalls and it is not doing Kyra any favors for her weaker right hind. I had to take a day off from getting to the barn yesterday and today, her right hind “slipped” several times. I kept it to walk and trot and the footing was pretty heavy and wet (although the arena did get worked…whohoo). We only have the smaller approx 30m X 30m arena to use right now so in keeping it easy, we did cloverleafs at both walk and trot. I am going to check with the BO to see if she would mind if I build some cheap cavaletti. I did at the last barn but I left them there as other boarders had kind of worn them out. I use those landscape timers that are planed on two sides and mount them on a piece of 4 x 4. They are light enough for me to move around without killing myself. I need to get her working over some raised poles. I have been riding her up the hill on the property (about 1/4 mile). Trails are way too wet.

I have not been using her hoof boots because normally we only need them in the summer when things are super dry but she is squaring off the right toe pretty bad even with all the moisture in the ground. I need to get her to a vet to look at that right hind and see what is the issue…hock or stifle. I think stifle but at 21, it could be both? I am debating changing vets as the one I am considering is quite a bit closer but I am not sure. I just know I need to get her seen soon so we can deal with it.

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:41 pm

Yes it's been a challenging show and it's already raining. I don't ride until noon but that could change with whatever show management decides to do with the rain issues. I've been hauling back and forth and just paying for a day stall; so, it could be worse, I could be typing in a damp, drippy wet tack stall LOL. I'll be loading up in a couple of hours and heading down there to see what mileage we can gain today.

I rode Junior yesterday after getting home from the show. He felt pretty good and didn't gap his mouth more than once when he was resisting some requests to bring his left hind under more. I have found that if I time my releases just right he will keep his mouth shut. So, yes, Susan it does make us a better rider ;) As stated earlier, Welsh Cobs will pull your pants down every time for all to see your bare ass faults. He felt great in the mediums, half-pass and collected canter. Not too surprising since we were riding at home; but I'm relieved I'm not imagining that he can deliver and missed that another 'issue' developed. He's also getting the concept of leaping into the air to do the flying change...........only 18 months to get here but there it is.

I also lunged Brandon yesterday since he's been stall bound with his braids, slinky and blanket and not too happy about it. He trotted and cantered reaching over his back and to the bit but not really taking the contact. He will meet it but not really take it and accept it. I think he's going to be a horse that I have to ride with almost all seat and in some ways give up on the contact for now or work within his parameters of what contact is. I can get him to step under and raise the forehand in lengthening on just seat alone. Steering with seat and just the lightest of contact seems to be the only thing he'll accept. He looks positively lovely when left completely alone so I must get better at making it look like we have contact even when we don't have the degree of contact desired. Now having said that what really has me shaking my head with this guy is that he'll follow my hand down and out with great free walk and his stretchy circles especially when not tense are very, very good. So this does tell me that there is a level of hand/contact he does accept just not what I'm used to and can usually train.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:45 am

Tanga! you're right! The rain came. The weather was meh but at least my classes were between the rainstorms, and we did reasonably well. Yesterday I went with the idea of just giving Brandon an opportunity to build his confidence. So, I wasn't going to yank and spank or force him to conform to really anything but my requests to walk, trot, canter and halt where he was supposed to do so. We did that and he didn't spook or shy or refuse anything which I was happy about given the situation - new to the venue and no warm-up in the show arenas. Today we went and it was wet, cold and icky but we improved greatly in our Training Level Test 3 under one of the same judges yesterday. He gave us a 67.9. We didn't win but it's enough to get us into the Regionals so at least that goal was achieved. We then rode First Level Test 1. I have never ridden this rendition and Brandon has never performed a first level test, ever. We won with a 65 and change. Brandon is definitely one of those horses that will get better as we move up the levels. There's still lots of holes in our training that we need to fill in before going much further; but I think I have a plan that will get us there. So happy for my two pony/hony types, no drama, no trauma or muss and still able to play with the big boys. Also, so very grateful to have an adult kid who still gets it and likes to play groom. It doesn't hurt that she is falling for Brandon, either.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:03 am

Tanga that picture of you and Quinn is lovely! I prefer the black pad, it looks very slick and put-together.

Exvet - Always love your show updates. There is nearly always something I identify with and can take away.

Today was my first ride after 3 weeks away. I just did some exaggerated suppling work at trot, and cantered in light seat. Fresh forward horse, jumping lesson tomorrow is going to be fun...
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:55 pm

I had an interesting day yesterday working on a 20m cone circle. Last year, I would usually have to abandon all hope of riding a marked pattern with Tesla, but now she is much more cooperative and I need to start working on her accuracy. Cantering the marked circle seemed especially good for her, and it took a few circles to really feel her meld into the proper bend and shape. At the end I got brave and put the wrist band on, and got a rude awakening about getting control of her right shoulder when we're going left. She was also a bit freer in front and stretching into contact with a longer neck suddenly, so she seemed to like it. I put videos of riding in my "handcuffs" in the video thread. We also used the cones to practice accuracy in the LY by LY from centerline, then going forward through the cone gate and LY the rest of the way to the wall. I've also just figured out that most of my breeches are a bit loose, and with the silicone full seats, I was struggling to sit her trot because the breeches would stick to the saddle and I was bouncing up independent of my pants. Now I'm only wearing my breeches that are one size smaller and suddenly sitting trot is going much better.

Annabelle seemed to be struggling a bit yesterday, but we still had a good ride (and did better in the cuffs than with T). It may just be that she's a little stuck and behind the leg from working in the small indoor and not getting turned out much the last few weeks, but I'll be keeping a close eye on her, and getting her in to the vet if needed.

This afternoon I'm going to try a bit of jumping with both of them. It might be the motivation A needs right now.

And just 'cos, here is a screen grab of a moment when T really engaged in her trot.
Uphill trot 011523 cropped.jpg
Uphill trot 011523 cropped.jpg (106.81 KiB) Viewed 43515 times
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:58 am

I also enjoyed your show reports, Exvet. Thank you for sharing. And also, your description of Brandon and the contact sounds familiar with what I am experiencing with Besa. I needed to learn the things my trainer has taught me 5 days a week for the last 6 months, and it required my just “pushing through” if that makes sense. Now that I have Besa home, I have backed off and am just getting the feel for the kind of contact allows her to relax and enjoy the work. It’s tricky keeping her very round and also keeping the hind end coming under but when I watch the videos, I can see that when I start out the ride just feeling for where she wants the contact while in a round frame, I can then request that she stay round and at the same time allow me to bring her hind legs under with my seat. I’ll see if I can get a video clip from today and post it on the videos thread.

Tanga, I like the black pad best, too.

SF, wow. You need Tesla are looking great!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:19 am

Thanks for the consensus on the black pad. I like it too, but you just sometimes can't see it! Well, the show Sunday was canceled because there was so much damage to the grounds where the show is (from SO much rain.) I'm OK with it, though I do like to start early on a champs. year. I already entered for next month, and hopefulIy I won't have to leave a half hour to walk through the mud to get the horses by then, and hopefully the road will hold up enough to have at least one lane left! I'm thinking of changing Quilla's freestyle because she gets so honed in on the music she can just wind herself up, and she knows the test and is anticipating. So, how to change up the choreography and music without having a court to do it in. H,,,/

Exvet, glad you had good rides. You just never know!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:20 pm

Tanga wrote:Thanks for the consensus on the black pad. I like it too, but you just sometimes can't see it! Well, the show Sunday was canceled because there was so much damage to the grounds where the show is (from SO much rain.) I'm OK with it, though I do like to start early on a champs. year. I already entered for next month, and hopefulIy I won't have to leave a half hour to walk through the mud to get the horses by then, and hopefully the road will hold up enough to have at least one lane left! I'm thinking of changing Quilla's freestyle because she gets so honed in on the music she can just wind herself up, and she knows the test and is anticipating. So, how to change up the choreography and music without having a court to do it in. H,,,/

Exvet, glad you had good rides. You just never know!

Ok guess I am the outlier. I think she is too dark for a black pad and would like to see a blue on her .

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:25 pm

exvet, it wasn't until solid 2nd level that Rudy truly sought out contact. Prior to that, he was very soft in the rein and ridden 99% off of seat and legs. I had several bnt's give very good advice on how to establish a more "solid" contact but in the end, really it was simply a matter of time, his strength, and him understanding of how allowing more contact helped him perform at a higher level. Tio was, of course the opposite, hehe Each horse, as you well know, starts his/her own way. I knew Joan Darnell 30 years ago, nice then, not a fan now. As sf implied, she was not kind to "normal" movers, and has clear disdain for any horse she thinks is not a warmblood. Otoh, if you score well under her, you've really done something :D

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 pm

Tanga, I prefer a white or blue pad with blue breeches. Black and blue never quite work together in my mind.

Potters is making solid progress in his lessons,

I am still somewhat sidelined. My back is quite sore. it would seem that yoga is not for me! This too shall pass.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:17 pm

Lol. I normally prefer a light colored pad on a dark horse, and wouldn't ever purposefully combine two dark tones, but I actually really like the blue and black combo on Quilla(?). The white is too loud on her. Maybe a denim blue pad? Or 60-80% grey tone?

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:51 pm

I also don't love the black pad, makes everything so dark: dark horse, dark shad, dark breeches, dark pad. I don't think you need to go stark white with any of it, but some contrast of light and dark is nice!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:47 am

Potters with his friend Justin...

20230117_173348.jpg
20230117_173348.jpg (136.52 KiB) Viewed 43392 times

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:30 am

Potters and Justin...so handsome.

We have had our January thaw so I have been able to ride pretty consistently. I am only getting between 30-40 minutes/ride but I feel she has been making progress. However, we are supposed to be back to snow by Thursday with freezing temps at night so it might be back to hand walking? Such is the life with no indoor.

The last few rides, she has had quite a bit of "slipping" on the right hind. That has always been her weaker hind but at the other barn, she had the ability to move more 24/7. I am pretty sure that a lot of the current issue is from standing in her stall. With BO's surgery, she isn't getting the turnout she was but today, they let them have access to their runs again. Just for kicks and giggles, today, I put her hind hoof boots on. She has been squaring off the right hind hoof significantly and the boots prevent that so I slapped them on. Downside, yucky wet sand to clean off of them. However, she did NOT "slip" once today. It isn't like she is leaving big furrows in the sand dragging her feet she just doesn't seem to fold her leg enough to clear the footing. Once in awhile in the wet heavy footing, she catches her toe which messes up the normal timing of the gait. Maybe the boots give her a bit more support?

At any rate, she worked very nicely. Worked some voltes at the walk into SI and when we got to trot, worked on transitions W-T-W-T. Same in canter with C-T-C-T. She was lovely off the leg and thus far has been fairly soft into the hand. Last fall, I put her back into the Fager titanium mullen mouth Baucher and she has been pretty accepting of that. I will save my bastard double bridle until later spring when she is fitter. We finished with a couple reps up the hill to work those stifles well.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:32 pm

It was an unseasonally warm day so I ride on the outdoor. Darn horses you would have thought they had never been out. Every one of the boogers threw in a buck from time to time. Even Saiph!! The good news is that I did not meet the earth and my hip held out well.

We have out first clinic of the year on Sat the 21. My goal this year is to make showing at fourth feel easy. Ha! Ha!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:32 am

A little gem from Melissa Creswick today...

"Learn to create, not just to cope."
Last edited by Moutaineer on Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:25 am

Belated but oof to mountaineer, sorry about the fall. I had a horse who I really would have considered bombproof but there were two things that completely unglued him - cows, and ice/snow sliding off the roof.

I'm settling into Florida and enjoying the change of pace working with a new trainer, such a different style than I am used to but also effective in a different way. I'm feeling like we are coming to a breakthrough in our contact which then allows him to really work over the back and become more laterally supple as well but maybe I have rose colored glasses. I also feel like it continues to sink in that at the levels we are working now (hoping to show 4th soon) that we build the engagement and impulsion from slowing down, not chasing him forward.

Back in December we had a bit fitting done and they recommended different bits for him but I'm dragging my feet on that. $1000 to get the 3 bits we'd need and would it really make that big a difference when just better riding from me would help? Or maybe better tools would make it even that much easier. I'm torn.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:06 am

So Potters and Justin had an impromptu session with Melissa during the lunch break today. It was supposed to be 15 minutes and turned into 40... He bought his full bag of tricks with him and was basically a complete asshole (but to be fair, so were quite a few of the horses today. It was bitter cold and raw and windy out and both humans and horses were pretty much over it by the time they got in the arena.)

The overall takeaway was don't buy into his nonsense, just ride through it and carry on with the work rather than letting him derail it and get out of doing the work. Keep him straight and through and keep him busy. Take any emotion out of it, don't pick a fight, you pick the tempo and stick with it through thick and thin.

So Justin will stay on him for a little bit under the auspices of our trainer and they will just work it out and get him more accepting of the important role of humans in his life. She thinks its something that can be worked through, at any rate. (From her interactions with other clinic participants, she is very obviously not a blower of smoke, so I'm actually pretty happy with this assessment and prescription.)

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:13 am

Moutaineer wrote:The overall takeaway was don't buy into his nonsense, just ride through it and carry on with the work rather than letting him derail it and get out of doing the work. Keep him straight and through and keep him busy. Take any emotion out of it, don't pick a fight, you pick the tempo and stick with it through thick and thin.

Does this bring back memories? I finally figured this out with Kyra. Man did I continue to buy into her drama for way too long. I really had to work on this because not only would I buy into the drama but then I got mad. No place for anger in riding which I know but the DRAMA! I have always found keeping MY tempo pretty hard with Kyra when she is in drama mode but that Is what I try to do. We often end up going back to walk (with lateral work…not just taking a break) because it is so hard to get any relaxation at trot or canter. If I can’t get the relaxation back, we are done. Luckily, she has been pretty mellow since summer so fingers crossed WE stay mellow. So far, so good on the few rides I have been able to get in.

Our snow is back…boo. It is wet snow and now the temps will drop to the teens so I imagine we will be hand walking until it warms up again. Sometimes, I throw a long rein on her and ground drive her. It will depend on the footing. Today, while it was still soft, I did lunge her a bit. I have been working on changes of direction at trot and getting the correct bend in the new direction then cantering off. That is getting better. When I started trying this, she just twirled and cantered off on the wrong lead or cross firing when going from right to left. We have that smoothed out and she is less frantic and quicker to change the bend so I am getting some nice canter transitions. I also did some w-c-w transitions that were quite nice.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:49 am

Moutaineer wrote:A little gem from Melissa Creswick today...

"Lear to create, not just to cope."

Thanks, I summoned this riding T in a breezy 33 degrees and 4" of snow tonight. Once she got over the sucking back, she was charging all over the place and I managed to mold it into something fairly good. Didn't do a lot yesterday or today as we're on to taping her loin, and also didn't want to overdo it working in the snow. This round of taping seems to be freeing up that funky RH though. First thing I noticed last night was how polite she was for picking out the back feet. She is often too strong in the titanium mullen, so I'm hoping the Bombers Lockup snaffle I have on the way will be the Goldilocks bit that will get us to the right level of contact.

A got her hocks taped and is getting the week off, maybe a bit more with things freezing up again.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:42 pm

Mountaineer--I TRY to always keep the attitude when they are energetic that they are just asking for a more challenging question and need something more to do. :)

I had a show on Sunday, but it got cancelled because the show grounds were damaged from the rain (like so much else, not that we're complaining!) I already entered another on the 12th, and I just decided I want a new GP freestyle, so I'm going to see if I can find music and put one together by then, maybe with an actual arena to practice it in (if it dries out) or not. Like I said, sometimes stuff that should set you off makes it all so much better.

I am now on a bent dying everything white for shows. I dyed my stock ties blue. I got one pair of white breeches to come out a lovely blue. I'm working on another and another shirt and a white pad to see how they come out. :) I can play with trying a blue pad and see what happens. I agree, Mountaineer and Heddy, the black with the blue may be a bit much (though i think better than white.) I'll show ya'll pictures when I get them. Maybe I have a new business I can start--dying everyone's hated, useless, stained (if you're like me) white show gear to the color they want. :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:08 pm

First clinic of the year done and dusted. Despite needing more work in the canter tour Andrea encouraged me to go out and get my tails. Ilia says they should sell velcro on tails , ha! He remembers my immense difficulty in buying my last set all those years ago.

Saiph is a spooky easily distracted horse ( referencing Moutainers comments) and as she feels better and stronger and turns on the power her distractions become a bit more dramatic. I have found that keeping the back feet quick and stepping into the outside rein not only cures everything, it also improves her ride ability and readiness. So honestly it's all about the basic acceptance of the aids

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:47 pm

Chisamba wrote:Saiph is a spooky easily distracted horse ( referencing Moutainers comments) and as she feels better and stronger and turns on the power her distractions become a bit more dramatic. I have found that keeping the back feet quick and stepping into the outside rein not only cures everything, it also improves her ride ability and readiness. So honestly it's all about the basic acceptance of the aids

I do so get it. Having taken my test comments to heart and my daughter's comment at the show, "Mom! Once you get Brandon stronger and more engaged at the canter, he's going to have a canter to die for and your scores will skyrocket."

So, I worked Junior this weekend over fences, over poles, demanding more forward, off the leg and connected without backing off/sucking back. I used the trail today to my advantage. We crossed paths with a couple of riders while out in the preserve. Junior wanted to follow, and I held him back. They were going our direction home, but I wanted to use 'that' energy. So, once they were just topping the hill and almost out of sight, I let Junior 'go' with only one demand and that was he stay engaged, through his back and stepping his hind feet into my hands. We had some of the most awesome sets of medium to collected to medium trot ever with some real extended trot that remained lifted up through the withers........no muss or fuss because he wanted to get to 'those' horses. LOL, they went right, and we went left after about 1.25 miles.

With Brandon I lunged before riding each day. I also worked him over poles and cavallettis. On the lunge while on the flat I required more contact and moving him with more power into the side reins. He actually settled in rather well once he got over himself the first time and wasn't as fussy in his mouth, accepting and maintaining the contact. It was easier to repeat the same under saddle.

I think I have a better plan to work on the acceptance of the aids in ways that won't frustrate my horses or keep us 'stuck in a rut'.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:43 pm

I certainly understand about upping the power and getting dramatic results! Rip’s drama was legendary lol. He was one of those horses who went best worked twice a day. Joplin is interesting because she is not dramatic at all for the most part. But has no trouble responding to the power requests and actually will offer that power and activity herself. I think it’s that bull fighting Lusitano lines. Brave powerful quick horses that can keep their heads about them.

We are having a very wet winter. Hard to get much accomplished with sloppy mud everywhere. Heck just the walk to the arena requires waders and cleats. Sigh. Had to put Joplin back on insulin wise because she’s gained weight not working as much.

What I’ve got in the books this year is
March Jillian Kreinbring course 2 hosting it
May first of 4 Cedar clinics
In between hoping to host another WE clinic
Then June Cedar
September Cedar
February going to go school at poplar place
March maybe show depending on weather schooling show
May schooling show maybe
May DS college graduation. Whoop no more college funding!!
He’s hoping to go on to grad school. Applied to 3 waiting to hear back.
Vacation with DH. Not sure where we will go this year.

Return to “Dressage Training”