Getting Dressage-y in 2023: January-February Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Getting Dressage-y in 2023: January-February Goals and Progress

Postby StraightForward » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:59 pm

Tesla was looking sound yesterday morning, so I rode her last night. She had a few sticky moments where I had to remind her that yes, we go forward always. Time off never suits her well. She is having to stay on SMZs for a few extra days, but overall should be back on track.

Friday I was giving A a quick warmup for the girl who is trying her. A was really stuck and wanting to invert. Put her on the lunge, and she looked sound, so I got back on, and same thing, I was going to have to really lay on the aids to get her to canter and I didn't want to do that. Since she looks sound, and the girl probably weighs <100#, we put her on and did a W/T lesson. The BO looked on, but had me do the lesson for the most part, which was interesting; in hindsight I thought of several better ways to explain things, but hey, I'm not an instructor and didn't have time to mentally prepare. The girl is a good little rider but has a lot of the typical green on green habits of pulling the horse's head the direction she wants to go, so we worked on TOF and spiraling out on the circle to show her that A really will travel in the direction she wants without being pulled around. Overall, they were really cute together. Since the family has seen A working plenty of times before, they knew it wasn't a typical day for her, and they are going to give her another try. Last night as I was putting the saddle on, she scraped the wall with her teeth, so I took it back off, used the laser, which she really seemed to like along her back, and then put her in the Equilibrium massage pad and her Back on Track while I rode T. After that she was a wild woman on the lunge, and gave me a really nice ride in the outdoor, so I heaved a sigh of relief that she is fine. I'm guessing the big effort she put in at the jump chute clinic last week, followed by lots of standing around in cold weather did it, and the hard packed footing in the indoor didn't help.

Horses. Always a rollercoaster.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:21 pm

I signed up for a Patricia Kottas clinic. I have never ridden with her or seen her teach so it's a bit of faith in the hostess that prompted me. Now I need to stop stressing about being perfect for the clinic. Lol.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 pm

Thanks Sue B, I will keep that in mind for her. So far she's been doing well with eating little bits through-out the day. Sorry to hear of your migraine struggles, I sometimes get cycle related ones and even that is the pits. I can't imagine dealing with it more often.

Thanks exvet, you are so right about the determination and a bit of sass.

Kora made it through the arctic blast with unlimited amounts of hay. I have a feeling she thought she died and went to heaven with no work and more hay than she could eat. She was perfectly fine. Once we got down to the -40F wind chill blast my dog on the other hand had to be carried out to the woods to go potty and carried back. That was my work-out of the day, 1. getting dressed/undressed in a mountain of clothes to go out and 2. Carrying 35 lbs of dog.

Do the clinic Chisamba, nobody's scored a 100% in dressage yet!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:17 am

I’m not doing dressage the way I’d like due to weather and aging parent care. Still, I am enjoying Besa. Every time I get on her she seems to be trying to understand what I want. She is a blessing. So is Rocky. It’s nice to have two safe horses at my age.

I think of all of us that are taking care of aging parents. I took mom to Costco today. It took half a day. I am stiff and sore from being tense the whole time. Mom hit a guy with her scooter!!! Fortunately, he was young, athletic, and very kind. He wasn’t hurt. Sheesh. Mom is happy and playing video games on her tablet. I am drinking wine and planning my day tomorrow so I can ride both Besa and Rocky. And then drag broken branches (from the ice storm) to a burn pile. Some of the branches are so big I’ll have to chain saw them down to a manageable size. I am thinking about teaching Rocky to drag them, then I wouldn’t have it cut them down to size. In years passed, we used the bucket on our big John Deere, but I sold that a few years ago. Life changes. Change isnt always easy but if I roll with it, it isn’t such a bad thing….

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:37 am

OMgosh, I hear you demi. I agree that having dependable horses is a godsend. Even though I didn't do quite as planned at the last horse who I wouldn't trade my guys for anything. They are all so solid and perfect for this independent amateur. They deserve my upmost respect and gratitude for what they do for my personal therapy and link to sanity.

As for the family challenges. Yes, caring for aging parents seem like things are coming full circle but nothing like we had bargained for and then some. I feel guilty and righteous all in the same breath and then pennant. Gosh, why can't it be just straightforward? I am constantly on the ready and have an apology in hand when my mother walks in front of somebody or is unknowingly rude to an unsuspecting and unknowing bystander. Then I feel guilty because she knows not what she does, etc. And then I feel even guiltier....... for the fact that I'm fulfilling a promise to my father. My mother has always, repeatedly and still tells me she loves me because I'm her daughter but doesn't like me. She's resentful because she thinks and feels that my competitive nature and quest to finish first causes my brother not only harm, but robbed him of his birth rights, and is the reason why he's in his 'poverty' situation today. My father didn't trust my brother, especially to NOT rob his mother blind; so, he made me promise to do what is right for the family. So, I walk the tightrope constantly. This in addition to taking care of my mother's health needs. That's just my small piece of daily conundrum. My heart goes out to all that are in this position. I realize that some are honored, some are accepting, and many are just coping. I love my parents and gladly in many ways assist them as they helped me (father now deceased but who always coached me on what needed to be done and what was expected); but it's not always rainbows and puppy dog tails. It's obvious that we're all doing the best we can and sincerely try to do not what's only right but honor the wishes of those we're helping. I have no right answers; but am grateful for this group to be able to share a passion. Your support and willingness to just read and 'listen' is priceless. You know I think one of the greatest things horses teach us is how to be adaptable. They force us to think on our feet and be ready to have more than one plan in place. This helps us in our personal lives. I think this board actually serves not only as a wealth of support and resources of training ideas but as a safe haven.

I refuse to work my horses when I'm not mentally there. It's not fair to them or to me. With age I've realized and recognize when I am capable of being a positive influence on my horse(s). Then nights like tonight (bad day at the office) that the best I can do is just take care of them, reassure them that they're appreciated, and then call it a night. Not too different from taking care of the two-legged family members, including aging parents.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:45 pm

A friend of mine is struggling with an aging parent and its not even a brother. (Some internet " friend" had talked her into selling her house and giving him the money to prevent him from killing himself. ) of course she had to wrestle financial guardianship to protect her mom but now she is labeled a thief by the parent who will now involves friends and neighbors in her accusations. The sad thing is that you cannot even be logical because the dementia has robbed the parent of logic. My brother has largely the care of my mother and she will often have quite a different perspective on stuff from him. I think it's very difficult because on knows a child is illogical but when a parent becomes child like there is the whole respecting versus deteriorating mental understanding. It's difficult

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:21 pm

I've had more than my share of dealing with the care of aging parents and relatives. Mom who is now age 96 admitted to nursing home early 2020 before the COVID lock down in these care facilities. Sometimes she is bed ridden while some days she is able to sit in her wheel chair. Dementia issues for sure but medications have helped control her prior anxiety attacks trying to chew her fingers off. I feared for infection and possible amputation. So there she resides for the past 3 years... My father lingered for 5 years in a nursing home after multiple strokes.

Now I'm trying to assist my 87 year old uncle after his recent COVID illness and hospital stay - now in rehab. Waiting for his discharge soon when he will return home - lives alone. I'm hoping he will be cooperative to allow some in-home assistance. Cooperative being the critical KEY.

So there are some days where I do not feel mentally fit to ride as my pony will likely channel my anxiety. Better for us to stay safe and get through the winter weather. He is hairy like a yak - looks like a wild mustang. He gets his daily hugs and stretches with mints so he is not feral. Daily long walks with the dogs hiking at local park trails is keeping me sane. Speaking of dogs - my little stinker got into some dark chocolate 2 weeks ago. Ate a toxic amount for his small size. Lucky DH caught him in the act and called vet poison control who strongly advised taking him in. This stuff always happens on a weekend. Fortunately there is a 24 hr vet hospital nearby and he was successfully treated with an over night stay to the cost of $2100. He is doing very well now after this event but DH credit card took a hit. Very glad he loves our pets.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:22 pm

I am definitely walking in those shoes of parenting the parent. My sister has made this an even bigger challenge than it should be. Dad has been gone almost 3 years mom is deteriorating mentally but thankfully she is still mobile and otherwise healthy and as kind as she always was. My wonderful horses that I still work are such a joy and my DH has been my rock. Even dealing with his overwhelming law practice he still has been such a huge help with my mom and the farm. We’ve spent the last 2 weekends replacing rotten fence posts. I do have caregivers 6 days a week otherwise I could not keep mom here on the farm. She needs too much minding these days. Mom is so appreciative of all that is done for her. It took me a bit to not resent that our roles have changed that I am the parent now but DH and our long time caregiver sure helped me to see how to meet mom where she is right now. Mom is aware that her brain does not function as before and it is sad to see her not comprehend even basic issues but she is cherished as she is and I’m thankful to be able to have her here on the farm through Covid and Dad’s death. She and Dad were wonderful parents giving so much to our entire family both of their time and monetary. She deserves to live these last days in comfort with family. My sister visits maybe once a month and brings her 2 daughters and granddaughter usually. It’s been a rocky road with them for various reasons. I had to draw some very serious lines over mom’s estate ending up in court having mom declared incompetent and me established as conservator.

We’ve been having some gorgeous weather this week spring is springing. I’m getting Joplin worked but still not as much done with Gaila who I hauled in to check where she is breeding wise. She has active ovaries so hauling back next week and checking Juliet’s eye that has deteriorated. I don’t think she has any sight in her right eye at all. She’s handling it well though. My boarder works her on the ground only and really enjoys her doing so. Chex is coming along. He is so cute!! But he’s a sensitive ride in that he follows whatever you do with your seat more than any horse my boarder has ever ridden so it’s been an adjustment for her. Me I prefer that type of ride. Why I enjoy Joplin so much.

Joplin is going well though still in saddle hell. The Spanish saddle suits her the best. Unfortunately I can’t show in it. The dressage saddles even the new leather tree slide back. Ugh. Going to reach out to the hildago rep see if I can use a shim pad to help. Could not with the dynamic and was having the same issue with it. The Spanish saddle has bigger panels and does not slide back. Sigh.

Jingling for a long spring here! And maybe just a bit less rain. We are wet wet sloppy wet. I admire those on this board so much. Just good people and it’s been such fun to follow all on their riding journey. Happy riding all!

blob

Postby blob » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:27 pm

After a lot of wet we're having a stretch of spring like days -- 60s and sun and sadly work is making it so I can't ride much this week. A real bummer!

MM has been doing well. We've been continuing fitness and then last weekend I put her in the arena for some dressage work and it was really nice to see glimmers of the horse I had before all her respiratory stuff started. Definitely not the same level of strength (yet?!?), but she was feeling very good. It was a really nice feeling and made me hopeful for the future, though still realistic--we take it one day at a time in terms of what we can do. Our fitness days are up to either 3 5min trot sets or 2 6min sets that are a mix of canter and trot.

RP had a weird backslide, which I think I have finally figured out. We went ahead and got his teeth done (he is sensitive about his mouth and tells me when he needs his teeth done, usually ends up every 5-6 months). And that definitely helped but then after that he just got a little over excited and scooty. Well, he'd been on tri-amino all winter, but the recent shipment of orchard/alfalfa hay is heavy on the alfalfa and with some grass coming in, I think the perhaps he was getting more protein that than he needed, so I pulled the tri-amino for a few days to see if that made a difference and it seems to be the ticket. I'm starting to think ahead to spring shows with him. We definitely need more time at first level and I must admit I still feel like our trot lengthenings are not what they should be/could be. But I do think many of our other pieces have improved since december.

My trainer has extended his time in FL, so I'm happy he's having a blast, but I am ready for him to come home!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:21 am

Interesting on the Tri-Amino, Blob. I've never thought of that!

My trainer is in Florida this week, attending the Kyra Kyrklund master class, and taking lessons with Jan Ebeling. She'll be Hell when she gets back :)

Potters and Justin and I are working with the assistant trainer, who has some slightly different ideas, so it's interesting. Potters is being a good boy.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:52 am

I finally got back on Maia and we had a good ride. Well, minus my inability to ride at the canter. Something fell apart for me back in December, and out right canter has been a disaster ever since, with small moments of improvement. Fortunately my trainer was riding at the same time and reminded me about my sneaky shoulder before Maia got fed up :roll:

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:38 am

Yes, I certainly know bout parenting the parent duties. My barn time is on the clock. If I am not home by the perceived time limit, I hear about it.
That is OK…at least thus far, I can still make it to the barn.

I had a couple rides over the weekend. It was somewhat windy so both days lacked the really nice relaxation I like but we had forward! We are still mostly in conditioning mode so not trying anything too fancy yet. Sunday, we worked on halt, reinback then trot off. After 3-4 reps, she really gave me her back :) .

My trimmer mucked up her elbow and she was supposed to trim her Monday. Well that didn’t happen but the barn farrier showed up today and so I had him trim her. He said she was good. His trim wasn’t as ‘finished’ as Julie’s but she was walking fine so as long as the basic balance is correct, the cosmetic doesn’t matter. I did give her some bute Sunday (and again Monday) so either that helped the right hind issue she has had the last 2 trims or she was just good. Julie is very meticulous…and slow…so Kyra has to hold her feet up longer. I think I will still have the vet evaluate it as she is squaring that toe off more than the left. Her right lead canter is a little stiff and is normally her better lead. I want her as good as she can be before I start ramping up the work.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:43 pm

A continues to be just fine. I popped her over some jumps (wow, I needed the practice more than she did) Tuesday night and I had a delightful dressage school on Wednesday night. Our outdoor footing got groomed and has been pretty nice. She has gotten five of her Adequan shots and I think that is starting to take effect and she is feeling good.

T is also looking pretty good, though I'm afraid she's making noises about her saddle. The last two rides I used the jumping saddle and she was happier. Now that she is leaner I think I will try the Black Country on her just to see. The chiro vet was out yesterday and made some good observations about what she thought was going on with her body vs. the saddle. Overall nothing terrible, but I've got some things to try and to keep an eye on for the moment. I have to say I am really liking using this chiro because it is affordable access to a vet I can ask all sorts of questions (she doesn't charge farm calls to my barn because it's so close to her home base). Sunday she'll get a thoracic sling taping again to hopefully release some tension found in her wither and shoulder region, and I have homework to do to with her stretches.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:37 pm

Gifted myself a Pivo as a birthday present and still fitzing around with best settings and placement. Kora was wired this morning with snow/ice coming off the roof of the indoor so I figured just use it to kick her up to the hand best we can.

I was very pleased with this sequence, we haven't done rein-back in months and I felt like it was right there to ask. Happy for everyone's thoughts, she's about as through the back as she can be in this indoor. I cannot wait to get back outside.

https://youtu.be/CfHSfUp8kp4

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:33 pm

That is a really nice snippet Aleuronx.

I would like to get a PIVO…maybe by later in the summer. Right now, everything is going to my May vacation.

I got in a ride yesterday and boy, she was nice. A bit tense…it was cool and breezy and I feel she knows Spring is coming…but otherwise lovely. Plenty of forward and we got to work in the larger arena for the first time since early November. Right lead canter was nice but left lead a bit heavy and tense but she was listening to half halts and tried. I was going to try her sound deadening bonnet but it was in the car and I drove the truck to the barn :roll: . Maybe today. I am interested if it cuts down on the distractions.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:17 pm

It's been the most lovely February days. Warm enough to ride outside so I've been schooling in the full size dressage arena. It was such a nice day friends left work early and kept arriving to ride with me. Lol.

It was just lovely.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:17 pm

My heart goes out to everyone dealing with the struggles of caring for an aging parent. My parents are not there yet and hopefully will not be for long time, but I was the main caretaker of my grandmother for about 7 years while also raising my young daughter. It was exhausting. I remember going grocery shopping with her and my daughter and just being spent. It always took like 5 hours. And later on she too ran into people with her electric scooter. One time she ran into a big stack full of glass gravy jars... That was embarrassing.

Alueronx, thanks for sharing the video! What a trot! She looks wonderful.

Lynx is still in very very light work. Even lighter the last week because my daughter had the flu but trainer worked him a little. He continues to look better and better so we are staying on this path of light work for now with fingers crossed. The only time I think he looks funky is after a bit of work he has moments where you can see tension in his glutes... Like he's really working to use those muscles and they get fatigued. Which makes sense he tends to be weaker in that area. We just take a walk break when we see you / feel that and then he feels better after. I think the longest he's been worked so far is about 15 maybe 20 minutes. So nothing too hard.

I'm hoping I can actually get consistent with the equiband but I do think he just needs strength at this point but we will see.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:34 pm

Some lovely updates!! Aleuronx wow!! Lsp glad Lynx is coming back even if it’s slow progress.

I never thought I would have to care for my parents (dad died 3 yrs ago this month) especially considering that DH and I were looking at empty nest with DS graduating in 2018 and leaving for college. Then building and moving my parents in to their apartment here on the farm in fall 2019. Neither could drive and dad had many doctors appointments I took him to. Of course covid impacted so much for so long and we are still extremely careful because of it. It took DH a bit to come to grips that caring for my parents here on the farm was our future. Not anything he had anticipated but once he came onboard he’s been wonderful.

Chisamba we’ve had gorgeous weather this week too. Very spring like. I’ve ridden out in the hay field a bit as well as the arena. Got a good accomplished this week before a very rainy cold weekend.

I think I’ve found Joplin’s Goldilocks bit:). She’s been in the myler comfort snaffle for awhile but it was a loose ring. She’s ok but could still have some fussiness. So I bought the eggbutt version and wow how much different she felt! Little to no fussing and felt way more through. That and still happy with the hildago leather tree dressage saddle and some rides in the awesome Spanish saddle good week. Played with piaffe under saddle and the canter. My friend was helping and she set up poles not to go over but to ride through. I highly recommend trying this technique! We of course walked the trotted
then cantered between the poles asking for canter as we entered. Wow how that elevates Joplin’s canter! Forces me to ride with precision. Great fun.

Now rain for the weekend and colder. Sigh

Hope weather cooperates for all and happy riding all!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:11 am

Sounds like with the coming spring lots of positive steps have been made for many. Really like the video clip Aleuronx. Warning my post is going to be LONG; sorry, but I've been kicking myself and apologizing to both my horses for several days and I believe Ya'll will understand the why.

Brandon scared the crap out of himself while I was Un blanketing him on Monday, raced around like a chicken with his head cut off as he tore it to pieces and has swelling in both hind fetlocks with mild heat. He's not lame but I'm giving him the rest of this and next week off from riding. I did do in hand work with him yesterday and today. He appears to be very willing to learn the piaffe and the Spanish walk. I plan to continue the in-hand work during his 'break' from riding so that I can continue his education on connection. After all I just bought a new show pad for him so darn it, I am hoping I can get him passed this injury after his uncharacteristic moment of panic.

I had a lesson yesterday with Molly and more things really came to light after I talked to her about my experience with long lining Junior and working him over jumps and the 'perfecting the corners exercise' the past 2 weeks. I realized that even on the ground Junior really did not want to truly bend in his ribcage on the right side OR move his shoulders away from me when I was on the right. It was like he had a metal rod driving right through or near his right shoulder from the wither down and there's minimal mobility except the darn stinker has equally impressive half passes both directs (one of the many things that have confused me in regards the the where and why we're stuck). So, Molly had me do some exercises using low set cavalettis. Molly saw what I'd been trying to tell her - Junior (a) holds his breath when negotiating jumps and/or raised cavalettis in sequence (b) He also holds his breath when attempting to perform the flying lead changes (mostly left to right). (c) He is also very reluctant to raise and step down when negotiating anything 'different' like a jump or moving from the left lead to the right lead with his right fore, in other words, he will manipulate himself and change his posture in order to step forward preferentially with his left fore and stab down with the right fore instead of mobilizing his shoulders in unison which is particularly evident when he's asked to do the flying changes or negotiate cavallettis at the trot. There are times when he will use the right fore properly and not get himself all balled up but it's not his first choice or his nature. So, Molly stated that even though he's completely sound there must be an adhesion or something somewhere in his right fore that has supported and helped develop this preference. It explains the trouble I had with the counter canter on the right lead going on the left rein SO MUCH (now mostly resolved). It also better explains Junior's preference for the skip a change. Molly even mentioned that possibly something happened at foaling or how he was positioned in utero. Well, I was quick to comment that nothing happened at foaling since I was present and delivered him. What did happen though was when he was five or six months old, I came home to a gash on the medial aspect of his right cannon which I presumed likely happened from rolling under my fence and getting 'cast' for a while. He was sound and not obviously shook up, no swelling, edema or other contusions though I had a laceration to treat. He did develop exostoses as a result of granulation tissue in that area while it was healing - summer time, I was going through a divorce and not able to have another 'vet' out or take him to the clinic. In an ideal world I might have removed the granulation tissue surgically and put a cast on him to ensure no future problems (assuming that I could control post op care) but NONE of that was in my scope at that time. I remember my ex coming over to pick up some things and discuss selling the ranch and commenting when he saw the healing injury that my decision to name Junior, Annwylid Dare to Dream was karma putting me in my place and the injury would likely be career preventing which I deserved.

Now, 8 years later, it's more PT time for Junior, and what better PT than DRESSAGE ;) I have a plan and with Molly's help I have hope we can convince Junior that this whole concept of bending in the rib cage and move both shoulders to the right and left at any and every gait is doable. I also will be working him over randomly placed low cavallettis and poles (already started) to get him over his need/fear/apprehension to hold his breath. No more flying changes for a while. This all works well with Molly's insistence to work a million 'set ups' to the flying change without doing the flying change. I also am still with mindful accounting of how often and when, so not to overdo it, working on the walk pirouette exercise into the canter departure both in the saddle and on the ground to help him connect the dots. I've gone back to training him to do the Spanish walk and stretching exercises focusing on lifting and extending the right fore and placing it in front of his center of gravity. I dare say that he did relax as we worked over the randomly placed single sequence poles on the ground at all three gaits today. Today also showed me that he definitely understands the footfalls for the canter depart as well as the bend and positioning of the shoulders in the walk pirouette to canter pirouette - yes to read it right. I've been working on this canter half passes and since flying changes are out for a while, I've been working them from center line to long wall - 2/3 of the arena and then turning towards the fence 6 meters out to head back up the long wall towards where we started, rinse repeat. I have good faith that his half canter pirouettes will easily be there for fourth level and PSG. Molly said he wouldn't be the first horse able to score into the 60s at fourth because everything else has advanced/developed except the flying change. I'll also likely long line him doing half pass right (obviously both directions), shoulder in to the right, etc....all movements to encourage proper bending to the right, mobilizing the shoulders and stepping forward and right with that right fore. I observed yesterday and today that in the saddle I must, must, must without question sit up and back and use my thighs with clear distinction of positioning of my seat to get his barrel and shoulders to be in the position I want when on the right rein if I'm going to get him to mobilize his shoulders. My connection also has to be perfectly timed too in order to reward him at the appropriate instant so that he 'gets it' and to keep him light and stop muscling him. I realize too all of this has so much to do with my difficulty getting him into the right rein - he doesn't want to move his right fore/shoulder/etc into my right hand - but that has been coming along and improving too with my more specific/sophisticated awareness of where in his body (and between the ears) his resistances are stemming from and with Molly's help how to break it all down into tiny pieces and gradually string those pieces together.

Lots of work to do, feeling guilty but encouraged at the same time. Thus, has been my life with horses. They are always teaching me something and am so grateful for the horses I have.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:37 pm

I had some pictures come up on my facebook feed of Junior and I competing at a show 4 years ago this weekend. I pulled up some pictures from our last schooling show from this past fall for comparison. I thought the changes were pretty evident and figured I'd share in this and the next post.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:39 pm

Here are some more recent pictures

I think there's a little bit of progress/change ;)

demi

Postby demi » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:04 pm

Nice improvement, Exvet. It’s been so enjoyable, and educational, to watch Jr’s progress. Thanks for sharing. Reading through your post, I was reminded of how much we all go through on our dresssage journeys. We all have our “stuff” and most of it isnt obvious to the casual observer. You inspire me to keep on trying with my own journey. Thank you :)

I need to report my own progress. I have to make myself clean house first….

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:04 pm

Aleuronx, nice to see a video of you and Kora. Looks like you're coming through winter well with the training!

Exvet, Jr. sure has chunked out; what a thick boi! With your new hypothesis on his stickiness in the shoulder, it might be worth trying some taping. I know I keep going on about it, but it's made a difference for Tesla. I think for the larger muscle groups it's pretty safe to do it yourself, especially considering that you're a vet and all. I think T has some similar challenges. There is just no way to know what sort of injuries might be lurking and causing certain restrictions. She has been a little stuck in front lately, so last night I remembered the exercise we were doing with A to overbend and do the "sloppy leg yield" to the long side in canter. T is at the point where she can handle this now, and I think it was good for helping her free up a bit in front. Last night I put her in my Annabelle's saddle with a shim on the right front and she seemed quite happy. It is juuust wide enough for her with the shim, so we'll see if it continues to work. Even though it's not as deep seated and has smaller/softer blocks than the Patrick, I was surprised at how well I was able to sit her trot. I think she was happier so her back was softer, plus the twist is narrower.

Now I need to go gather bridle parts and see if I can assemble a plain snaffle bridle to fit her. Somehow this seems hard and I've been putting it off.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:02 pm

Aleuronix Aren't Pivo's great? You have a perfect arena for it. Nice lengthen trot. Hint on RB--don't lean forward. Lean back if anything--soo much easier for the horse.

I wish I could even complain about an aging parent. I assume my mother is alive. Evil ($@&^$%*(! half sister at 45 never had a job has been bleeding her dry for decades, then basically stole, sold two houses in the bay area (worth well over $2 million) so she could have all of the money. I can't even go there.

Show tomorrow. Not raining or muddy, which is good. I did a new GP freestyle, so we'll see how it goes. I think I finally figured something out. I have had some issues with both horses swapping behind in the canter. They are not huge, and I am not small. Whatever I look like, I weigh about 190 (haven't been on a scale since before Covid, but probably right, or above that) and when I sit deeper, I think it's too much for them. So I have been working on tucking my tailbone for collection, but not deeper, and it seems to be working. Hopefully I can keep it together for the show. I will share pictures of my newly dyed blue looks!

blob

Postby blob » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:17 pm

Exvet, Jr is looking good and definitely some clear gains! And thanks for sharing the work you're doing with him in such detail. I find it very helpful, as a lot of the things you are working through with him are similar to things my two need as well.
Aleu, thanks for sharing the video--you guys look great! I really need to start using my pivo
Chisamba, glad you're getting some nice weather up there.
LSP, glad to hear Lynx is doing well.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:38 am

Good luck Tanga!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:16 pm

Thanks Tanga, I will definitely be adding in rein-back and will play with the balance now that I can feel when it’s there for the taking. Such a fun ride when they are in the contact and you can just play.

How did the show go??

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:33 am

Tanga I misread and thought you had died your hair ( locks) blue.

As a heavier rider on smaller horses I think I've probably explained on this board at least a dozen times how I do not sit deep, don't drive with my seat, and use less seat aid in the canter. Most of the time people just disagree, but by goodness. Thank you for expressing that thought.

How did the show go. How was the new freestyle?

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:31 pm

Did our first show of the year and I've got... mixed feelings. Queso was, as per usual, a super star. Best boy. Peerless. Basically, the paragon of a show horse.

Showed 3rd level for the first time and the work felt really good: changes were clean, shoulder in actually had bend in it, half passes were clear and straight and flowing sideways. I have been experimenting with my half-halts this last month, working on rebalancing more frequently in some of the work-- and to Chisamba's and Tanga's point, it's possible that I'm pushing too hard here.

Anyway, got my tests back and scores were much lower than I thought they'd be-- 58-59-- with comments about irregularities in the gaits. "Maybe hock/stifle?" - in the collective remarks. Have never seen that before (it's possible that the half-halts are too big, and he tries too hard immediately, which disrupts the rhythm slightly).

Anyway, vet is coming out later this week for annual shots, so we'll tack on a lameness exam too. Just. Not the post-show high I was looking for.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:32 am

:D Hey Chisamba, Well, I HAVE dyed my hair blue before, but I prefer purple. Right now it's grey. And yes, I think not sitting deep has made a difference with horses, scores not withstanding.

Here is the blue I was referring to. Pad, breeches, stock tie and shirt are all dyed blue. the tail coat is a dark blue I got for $50 new at a tack sale.

I was really happy with both girls at the show and got all qualifying scores. I'm still a little disheartened no matter what I do, the scores stay about the same. I got pretty good feedback from bystanders I asked and talked to the judge after (and tried to explain to her how to do freestyle music on her computer) with Quilla's new music and choreography--it's from Slumdog Millionaire, and I used it on her mother. The piaffe music came off way weirder than on my phone and has been the thing I need to keep working on the most. A friend suggested it needs to be higher, which is probably it. I need to scrap that and use something in the higher range and not so low and booming--it just does not sound good on speakers.

Here are the rides so you can see how they look and check out the blue!
Quinn I-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fjv5eQfHqQ
fs
https://youtu.be/tLAXpIAxVEc

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:32 am

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:09 pm

Gah…winter is back. When I left for the barn yesterday is was 48 degrees. By the time I left the barn (<2 hrs) it was snowing. Only about an inch but I am over winter. It started really early this year.

I have been having very pleasant rides…working on basics with lots of transitions and am starting to add in SI. I am riding her in the Fager mullen mouth and she has been very steady in that with little fussiness and no pinching at all.

With the storm coming in, I just lunged her yesterday but keep stumbling across different little exercises that look like they have a big impact on her self carriage. I started in the big arena with (the) one ground pole and was having her side pass over it. After she was warmed up I was going to elevate it and have her walk over it then transition to trot or canter. Well that lasted about 3 minutes when the owner wanted to work it and close it before it stormed so we retired to the little arena which has no poles. So, I had her halt parallel to the rail but about 6-8 feet away from it. Then asked for walk and LY back to the rail then immediately trot off. She was really pushing off nicely. Even her Spanish walk is improving…she is actually getting the walking idea and I noticed that her neck is becoming nicely draped. In the early days, she was just inverting the neck to get the mobility to lift her shoulders. Just fun things to ‘play’ around with. I am pretty sure that is where my riding/working with my horse is going to be…playing around (with a heavy dressage bias) ;) . I just don’t see myself having the time necessary to try working up the levels (again). We will see.

Susan

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:32 pm

I can't believe it's halfway through Feb which means about halfway through my winter in FL (I am trying to stretch it to mid-April-ish but entirely at the whim of when transport will be available for the horse back to CA).

I'm so excited by how well our lessons are going and the new perspective I'm getting. I love my trainer at home, but the fresh eyes and new take on things has really unlocked some things. For one our warm-up is entirely different. I start with collected walk and asking for halfsteps. This really gets him stepping under and pushing into the bit evenly on both reins. Then we progress to small trot focusing on the same thing - pushing into the bit. A steady connection has always been a problem for us and this new warm-up and we are so much better.

We are targeting moving up to 4th and showing 4-1 sometime in March - can't leave Wellington without at least one or two shows. We ran through the trot work of the 4-1 today and it didn't suck lol. And even tips like holding the bucking strap during the medium trots so that I keep a steady connection and he stays pushing into the bridle helped improve those. Yesterday we were practicing the very collected canter movement and again getting him evenly pushing into both reins made a huge difference in him staying round and connected in the collection. But that took some tricky riding. Cantering to the left I had to have almost a baby renvers thinking - think shoulder-fore but with a bit of flexion to the outside and then he was actually straight and using both hind legs instead of falling out to the right as I overbend inside. My trainer is really good at diagnosing what's going on and having a way to ride to address it and get us back to neutral. She expects me to be able to feel these things but I don't and it's hard! I mean, I can feel that it didn't go well but I often struggle to feel why and especially to feel what's wrong and be able to correct it in the moment.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:10 pm

I enjoyed the videos , Tanga. I like the blue looks. I'm still in admiration for you having two mares in FEI. Especially a home bred. That's truly green to grand prix. I think Quinn possibly doesn't score higher because of her occasional head tossing. I know it's momentarily but I suspect judges ding her overall on submission for it.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:10 pm

Thank you for sharing the videos, Tanga. I am also a HUGE fan of the blue. I agree with Chisamba though there are plenty of nice moments too. I only dream of the day of having at least one at FEI again. Weather isn't cooperating here but then neither is my work schedule, oh well. Looking forward to the weekend and hopefully some ride time.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:03 pm

Apparently I will be getting back on my horse Friday or Saturday. I can't wait. He's done really well in boot camp, now I have to see if I can maintain it.

The rest of the indoor arena mirrors are being installed today and tomorrow and some woodstaining is taking place, and the weather is brutally cold. The combo of men at work, fumes and windchills below zero is more than I can stand, so we are having a couple of days off!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:52 pm

Chisamba wrote:I enjoyed the videos , Tanga. I like the blue looks. I'm still in admiration for you having two mares in FEI. Especially a home bred. That's truly green to grand prix. I think Quinn possibly doesn't score higher because of her occasional head tossing. I know it's momentarily but I suspect judges ding her overall on submission for it.

Thank you. I like the blue, too. I agree with you on any movement of the head seems to get dinged. I see horses cranked in with their noses (in general not this show) against their neck and not really doing anything or being correctly impulsed and through, but "quiet" in the head do surprisingly well. That has always been my issue--I never have a hard grip on the reins to hold them in. And I don't wear them down before a show so that, while she was calm there, she gets a bit nervous in the ring and does that. At the last champs, doing two rides a day, as she was getting more tired, the scores went up and up. Sigh. Maybe next show I'll do more of galloping up thee steep hill several times as a warm up the week before.

I still think I may be done with keeping on keeping on after the champs this year. There is only so much I can do. I'm exploring the idea more and more of giving lessons on my FEI horses for a lot of money because no one else does that. I can put anyone on any of the three and have them piaffing and passaging in no time. And Quilla and her mom are great at playing western pleasure horse, but will come right up in a super nice, collected frame if you ask them. They charge $95 for 45 minute lessons on up down ponies at my barn. Maybe even lease Quilla where I am so someone else can have the experience and show. Don't know. Just a lot of thinking. All feedback welcome on this. From experience, I have to be very careful about ripping myself off and letting people take advantage of me. I 100% know I can't let my horses be in anyone else's hands because I would not be OK with how they live or are taken care of.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:33 pm

Thanks for sharing your vids Tanga. It's a big achievement getting to that level. I wonder too about the submission thing, I don't hold my horses in either so any wobble does get noticed more.
There is definitely a market for lessons on higher level horses. I can put anyone on Ding and select riders on Norsey and I regularly have people asking me to give them lessons on my horses.
People will take advantage so don't rip you or your horses off. I've let friends have the occasional ride to feel a flying change, piaffe etc and then they do want more rides! But I'm still actively competing mine so I've decided not to go down that path yet. The time that other people are riding them, means you're not doing the training.
Insurance was another thing for me (that I dont have).

blob

Postby blob » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:44 am

Tanga, I think the opportunity to lease one of your horses would be a really great one for a rider who wants to learn from a seasoned, but sane, horse. It's hard to find leases for FEI horses! But if you do a lease, I would suggest you only do it with someone you know and at your barn so you can keep an eye on things. If it's not someone you know well or not something you're sure about you could start with a partial lease, you can always move to a full lease if you and the leaser are feeling good about the arrangement. I would also definitely make a contract (even if it's someone you know well), including who is responsible for which types of vet bills and also include that you can terminate the lease at any time for any reason.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:58 pm

I think maybe this is the first video I am showing since my hip replacement. I believe I am able to sit her more forward and active . Positive and kind helpful criticism with intent improve me invited. I am getting ready for PSG.

My focus has been back to front riding and basics. Saiph is a very anxious distracted ride and she stalls when worried. By stalling I mean slows down, baulks, becomes tense,and even chatters her teeth. The focus on basics has been to keep her hind feet active into a forward contact, ( long neck but on the bit) .

My positional faults are still evident, slightly improved but till cringe worthy lol.

https://youtu.be/D0a9_4QscuE

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:57 am

Cringe worthy? Are you daft? Of course, you're not, and I think not only do you look remarkable after major surgery just a short time ago, but your seat is also still very much there! I rather liked the video. Good on ya.

My lesson was quite a bit along the lines of what you're working on with Saiph. Junior's way to demonstrate his anxiety is to gap his mouth, suck his tongue and/or get his tongue over the bit. Molly and I were talking this morning about the fact that I have found the greatest challenge with all of my welsh cobs has been getting them to relax and use their backs because it all starts with how tight they are between the ears. So, Molly had me work this morning on having Junior let go of his underneck by getting him to lower his head and more importantly the middle part of his neck so that the base of his neck is/was the widest part. Sounds like a duh moment right? Well that wasn't the duh moment, it was breaking the basics down to the point that I had Junior focus on following my hands and rewarding him when he did so without using any leg or asking for any impulsion. He was allowed to go as slow as he wanted in the trot and canter.......all he had to do was maintain the true gait and release the base of his neck, reach down and forward to the bit - the result was him raising and using his back and hind legs. Then once he was 'nice in my hands' I could use leg and demand impulsion. Every time I use leg and demand impulsion he would tense through the back and things started to spiral south. ......the story of my life........so now the goal is to get him to reflexively respond to my request to lower his head and soften in the mouth and use his back and hind end properly so that he's not pulling himself around using his front end all the time..............once this is mastered then we'll add the demand of impulsion along with it but before then it's working on both but separately. So we went back and forth between having him first just respond to my hands - requesting that he lower his head and neck and get soft.......then one polite request for more energy followed by a HUGE demand that he go forward, back and forth, rinse and repeat in the trot and canter. By the end of our lesson he was definitely using and swinging through his back more. It's a start to getting him not to get all wadded up about what he's being asked to do and prevent him from anticipating in the wrong way and through rote memory, anticipating in the right way and thus using his hind end to push and carry and go forward.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:39 pm

Tanga, I would pay some good money to swing a leg over a GP horse. Maybe next time I'm forced to go to CA I could make a side trip. :D

Chisamba, great to see you back in the groove. Some lovely halfpasses there. I see what you mean about the stopping - the video is a little grainy, but I wonder if you can still sit light but have the shoulders a little back so you can catch her when she does that? I totally get the sitting light; I have to do that with A as I am not a featherweight either. My Black Country saddle seems to have a little more forward balance point than the Patrick and I was having to be a little more diligent about riding T's haunches forward last night as she was doing something similar. It is tricky when they sort of drop you suddenly like that; I'm sure you'll figure it out!

I had a conference Sunday through Wednesday and was totally wiped afterwards. There were about 1,500 people registered and I think I knew at least 10% of them, including people I've been working with over Zoom and had never met in person before, and people I hadn't seen in several years. Definitely a shocking amount of socialization after three years of virtual living.

But anyway, I scraped together the energy to get out to the barn last night and had a pretty nice ride on T. We have had some struggles the last couple weeks with producing a true bend to her hollow left side, so I decided to try addressing that. What Exvet is working on resonates with me again - yes, you need to let go a little and allow the energy to come through to a soft neck. We ended up doing some SI and CSI, the moved the CSI onto a circle, and then sort of rotating the haunches out to make it more of a renvers on a circle. I was really happy with how T stayed with me and gave it an honest try. At the end we got once nice circle that was probably lacking bend, but with the LH stepping under, neck soft and right shoulder not drifting out, so that was enough for me. We will keep this up for a week or two before I pull out the credit card and start ordering other bits (though I do have my eye on another Fager with a Myler-type mouthpiece).

A got another day off, and her last Adequan shot. She is still seeming to struggle a bit with her LH, so I am keeping the work light, and will probably have the vet take a good look at her in a couple weeks after I get back from work travel.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:36 pm

I definitely could and should sit taller and hold my head straighter without making the seat harder/heavier/ stronger. Agree.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:32 am

Chisamba-- I think your saddle is too small. As a similarly sized rider, it makes things hard if you can't sit. To me it looks like it's kicking you in the tailbone. I got that 19" Barnsby that is super flat a few months back and I think it makes a big difference. It took me years of every single judge mentioning it before I stopped using my 18" Wintec Pro that is very comfortable, but was just not right enough to make me lean forward to give my back a break. The old 18" Albion made a huge difference, giving me a place to put my behind. I think the Barnsby is even better because it gives me more room. I remember 25-30 years ago Denny Callin explaining to me why Kathleen Raine (who is taller than me) rides in a 19" saddle even though Avonteur was not a big horse. She needed a place to sit.

Also, I can share my half pass revelation! Esp. to the left. You're straightening that leg and making it harder. A few years ago I progressively lost my, esp. left half pass on both horses--obviously my fault. Chelsey gave me a revelation. She said it looks like the horses are too down on the inside shoulder. So what she had me do was lift up the rein and pickup that shoulder, which at the time felt like me pulling both hands to the outside. It fixed things eventually. If I get too forward feeling, I lose it. I have to feel like I have really shortened the frame and am pushing them over with the outside leg from the hind end into that hand that keeps the inside up and light to get good ones. I got an 8 on my GP half passes last show.

From everyone's feedback, including you guys, I am now on a new venture in riding where I REALLY work on not over riding and sitting too deep, but really concentrating on staying really soft in my hips and back and working on a much steadier connection, hoping it stays there for a show!

And thanks for the feedback on lessons. Flight, I am so with you on people taking advantage. A friend was visiting and asked me if her daughter could have a lesson. I agreed, saying they charge $95 for 45 minutes on ponies at my barn that are safe (and the "big" event trainer is $95 for 30 minutes on your own horse.) I worked with her daughter for two hours, showed her the difference between western pleasure Quilla trot and GP Quilla trot, showed her how to fix her stuck hip, and she did passage and piaffe. Not only did she not offer to pay me, she wanted me to do it again a few days later, setting aside my whole day again. Yeah. I did not answer the text. And everyone says, "I want to go ride your horses." No. I've got until at least next fall to think about it, but this is helping me feel better about it. Thinking something like $300 for 1 1/2 to 2 hour lessons, at least the first time, because it takes forever to explain things and you have to take people out on the trail and go downhill so they can feel collection the easy way. Straightforward, you would, of course, get the special DD rate. :D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:50 pm

Yeah well, unfortunately Saiph"s back is so short the saddle fits her. Kimba"s saddle and my one i had on caliburn are an inch bigger. My saddle fitter has nixed anything longer and sadly Saiph agrees with the saddler not me.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:13 pm

Tanga, I’d fly to CA pay 300 to have a lesson from you on either of you mares!!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:22 pm

I had a lovely ride this morning! He was a relaxed, happy, comfortable in his body and brain horse,. It felt so good to be back on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:17 pm

It was a gorgeous day for riding yesterday. I rode Junior in the am focusing on canter quality, lowering the base of the neck and overall light connection. I think he did pretty well and is coming into the hand softer and sooner, doing better to maintain it over poles and in both directions. I also worked both boys in hand making some progress with our Spanish walk and half-steps (Junior more true piaffe). Then, in the afternoon, my daughter and daughter-in-law came over to go trail riding. We rode about 5 miles taking all three boys out and it was fantastic weather. It was funny because I told everyone that Junior had already worked hard so we were going to take it nice and easy. I guess Ace had already decided on that because not only did he assume his usual drag position in the line up, he absolutely would not jog or trot for my DIL. He just didn't see the point unless I had Junior behind him prodding him along. It didn't really matter we were simply soaking in the sun and enjoying the peace and quiet. Today is a little cloudy but hopefully the clouds will burn off (it's the Arab show right now so one never knows and history tells one to be prepared for almost any weather extreme LOL).

khall

Postby khall » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:28 am

Hauled Joplin off for a ride at the show grounds today. She was a total gem:). Self loading got off saddled her up did a bit of in hand around the arena then popped on and schooled her before running through 1 st 3. I had planned on running through 2 nd 1 as well but she went so well I just stopped. She even pooped while cantering a first for her. Self loaded and hauled home like the smart girl she is. So happy with my buckskin girl!

Then Chex decided to colic. He had done so earlier in the week but came out without vet intervention but this time had vet out. Large colon impaction. Not drinking enough. May have to make some changes to his diet.

And should breed Gaila tomorrow! Jingles for her to take. With a buckskin filly:))

Tanga I’ve been blessed to be able to lesson and even show trained to FEI horses over the years. Definitely is a wonderful thing to sit on horses with that much training in them. It’s also why I traveled to Spain and Portugal to ride specifically Iberian horses trained to higher levels. Definitely don’t sell yourself and your horses too short!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:28 pm

demi wrote:Tanga, I’d fly to CA pay 300 to have a lesson from you on either of you mares!!!

Thank you. This is helpful in getting perspective. I have LOTS of time to think about it. There are so many ways I can do this. I always sit on the other horse when I teach, so, depending on how fit a rider is and how much they want to do, I can switch horses and have them feel it on a different horse. Even three if they are light enough. Their mom is such a good teacher, too--she feels like a lame old school horse if you don't ride, and a fire breathing wild mare who can piaffe/passage forever if you ask right!

I am working towards the next show on the 12th, and with the feedback from you guys and a friend, working on a super stable connection and being a very QUIET rider, keeping my seat and back relaxed and letting them do the work. They are in shape and know their job. I need to let them do it and not get anxious at shows and over ride! If I drank alcohol, I would probably do better to be tipsy at shows to relax. Some of my best riding has been when I was so sick at shows I couldn't have a tense muscle anywhere. But then I had to remember the test! :D

Chisamba--One more thought just to throw out. Is there a flatter saddle you can find that is the same size, but gives you more room? I finally figured that out. The same size saddles with slightly deeper seats do not fit me at all. This 19" Barnsby (I rode in the show in it) is bigger and flatter than anything before, so I think it fits me better (even though I am shrinking a little.)

Return to “Dressage Training”