Getting Dressage-y in 2023: January-February Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Getting Dressage-y in 2023: January-February Goals and Progress

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:52 am

Or just lose anothet 20 lbs . :)
I know you are being helpful but it's beginning to feel like you are harping in my build so I'm just going to put these pictures here and tell you I know I'm still large but I am who I am and am ready to change the subject.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230220_195709_Photos_240x320.jpg
Then.
Screenshot_20230220_195709_Photos_240x320.jpg (74.08 KiB) Viewed 38445 times
Screenshot_20230220_195508_Gallery_240x514.jpg
Now
Screenshot_20230220_195508_Gallery_240x514.jpg (91.83 KiB) Viewed 38445 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:03 am

When one is up, the other is down. Isn't that the way?

I had a great ride on T Friday night, then Saturday she stopped on me a couple times and was a bit difficult to get cantering, but got with the program eventually. Gave her yesterday off, and today she really doubled down on stopping and I could not keep her in the canter. I'd warmed her up on the lunge and she was moving just fine, so I went and changed saddles to see if that made a difference. It only did in that I could lock in and drive her forward more in the saddle with the bigger blocks. I'm thinking maybe she is coming into heat and is uncomfortable? So I'll lunge her for a couple days and then try riding in the jumping saddle and see what happens.

However, A seemed to be feeling quite good today. She also got a lunge line warmup, and then went to work nicely without the balking and head twisting she has been doing. So fingers crossed the Adequan is doing what she needs. I ordered her some BoT hock boots, and will probably add MSM to her supps (she is already getting the JointFlex HA/Silica). Hopefully that will do the trick, but we'll see what the vet thinks when I bring them in for dentals and shots next month. I think I'll keep the work a little on the light side for the rest of this week and then see how she does with a little more of the collection and lateral work.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:19 am

Sorry, Chisamba. I never thought of you as large, just my sized. I just wanted to make sure I put out all ideas. I wasn't trying to harp.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:30 pm

Tanga wrote:Sorry, Chisamba. I never thought of you as large, just my sized. I just wanted to make sure I put out all ideas. I wasn't trying to harp.

I'm over sensitive. I really like a narrow twist. I rode and showed short backed Arabians for decades . I quite probably have spent so much time in snug saddles that i prefer it from much. On a few client horses I do ride in 19 ( two friends have draft x) and I actually find it really uncomfortable. I tend to take the knee rolls out on all my client horses that have removable rolls. I rode a clinic once with a trainer who really wants a looser seat and honestly I hated the way she flopped around on her GP horse. No names.
Let's just go with the idea that I'm sensitive to the topic and not particularly open minded in that area. My fault not yours

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:24 pm

Unpleasant attack of intestinal distress going on here. Not sure if i ate something or its some sort of virus. DH of the iron constitution is perfectly fine, of course. That, and the fact that its already snowing like hell has me staying home again today. Ugh.

Chisamba, you've done an outstanding job changing your body. I'm very glad the new hip is working so well for you! Everyone tries to get me to ride in a larger seat size, but I'm happier a bit snug.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:18 pm

Moutaineer in so sorry about your gut. I was happy to hear of your nice ride on Potters, now this. Ugh

staightfirward good luck worth Tesla

Exvet do you find you have to ride Junior just a bit deeper to get the base of his neck? Caliburn is like that.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:31 pm

The last two weeks have been low on riding--work + weekend travel. So, hoping to really get some good horse time in this week because next week I'm traveling again.

We're having a bit of a spring teaser right now--temps in mid 70s up to 80 tomorrow. I'm feeling bad for MM who is still very fuzzy, though she is shedding.

RP's food situation has gotten thrown off again. He has a very sensitive stomach and when he gets gassy he becomes almost unrideable. While I never narrowed down the exact culprit, I worked with a nutritionist and we were able to realize eliminating all pelleted feeds and supplements seemed to do the trick. So, for some time he's been on just beet pulp, a vit/min powder supplement, and flax. I put him on tri-amino this winter, but suddenly he seemed to be having sensitivities so I tried removing everything and adding back one by one. Tri-amino seemed to be the culprit. And we had a bit of a good stretch. But now he's gassy again. So, i'm not sure what is going on. It's a frustrating thing because it's a night and day difference when he's gassy v. not and it can really throw our training.

In other news, my trainer is moving. He will still be within driving distance, but further enough that taking a lesson will take nearly all day. So, I really need to try to figure out my virtual lesson option this weekend to see if I can supplement with virtual lessons and then do in person lessons more spread out. Hopefully he will also be happy with that option!

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:40 am

Chisamba wrote:Moutaineer in so sorry about your gut. I was happy to hear of your nice ride on Potters, now this. Ugh

staightfirward good luck worth Tesla

Exvet do you find you have to ride Junior just a bit deeper to get the base of his neck? Caliburn is like that.

Yes I do. It really bothered me at first but it's really only way to achieve the necessary goal. Plus, it's really easy to get him up and open. Now I just have to teach him to sit and stretch up and out to the hand all at the same time :o :shock: :roll:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:13 pm

A little deeper as a means to a good end doesn't strike me as the crime of the century.

14" of heavy, wet snow overnight, flurries today. Very cold and the roads are a bit of a mess, and my innards are still not entirely sure they are happy about eating and drinking, so another day at home for me today. Don't fancy getting caught in a traffic jam feeling like this. I don't recommend this as a way to lose a few pounds!

I'm going to the barn tomorrow if I have to drag myself there. Margo sent me a bunch of video snippets of Potters and Justin yesterday which were lovely and just made me mad. (Madder? Apparently, I'm cranky as well as uncomfortable. Must learn to bite my tongue better.)

demi

Postby demi » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:33 am

Im enjoying playing around with Besa. Im happy to be experimenting on my own and I think we are becoming a team. I had a lesson last week and even tho I hadn’t ridden a lot in the previous two weeks ( serious bad weather one week and then necessary appointments all the next week….) Besa was so cooperative. She was easy to get round and light and she stayed that way for the whole lesson. We talked about plans for the upcoming show season and I think I just want to keep working on connection without having to change the program to prepare for showing. The connection has improved a lot in the last 6 weeks. My trainer has noticed and she agrees that maybe i should wait a bit to show so that I can continue the program Im on at home.

I love hearing about Joplin! She is such a good horse. I feel like I know her because she sounds so much like Besa. Besa has only been to a few shows but she has behaved like a seasoned show horse each time. She might get a little startled at times, but she regains her composure very quickly with no shenanigans.

Interesting about riding Jr. deeper. I am interested because my trainer always rode Besa deep but still very light. I had no problem with it but didnt do it myself because I don’t feel I have a strong enough core to ride her that deep and still keep her light on the bit. Then I read an article about training PRE’s and it said even tho a trainer might feel like they need to ride them deep to get them over the back, deep doenst have the same effect on PREs as it does on warm bloods. The article said to ride PREs up in front so they can come under from behind. I think I am feeling this with Besa. I’ve been slacking on videoing but I need to get back in the routine of videoing most rides. Lately it’s seems I wouldn’t have enough time to study the vids even if I took them.

Blob, I have been wondering about RP and the gas. I know you are working with a nutritionist and I think that’s a good thing. It sounds like he is on a very high fiber diet, and in people, very high fiber can cause gas and bloating. Don’t know if thats the case with horses but just a thought.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:28 am

Thanks demi! Joplin is such a joy to own and ride. Love my Iberian mare:). As for riding the Iberians deeper I’ve not found that to be effective with Joplin at all. What Cedar wants me to do is to have her up and open higher in the poll even to the point of using an aret to ask her to stay up. How I can keep the neck soft is to not act on the bars with the bit but make sure with my aids I’m acting on the corners of her mouth. She’s super sensitive about contact. Has no problem telling me when it’s not acceptable.

I’ve really been deep diving into the in hand work and neck placement with Joplin. Mark and Jillian both like a long more level neck for much of the work. That’s not the right approach for Joplin I’m finding. Especially in the lateral work. It’s not as big of an issue under saddle but in hand it’s very evident what she likes and does not appreciate. I’ll be interested in what Jillian says next month.

I did try something a bit different Sunday at the show grounds. Joplin can get a bit balled up especially right because of the piaffe work I’ve done. She wants to start offering piaffe instead of going forward. Typical over achieving Iberian mare! So I just slipped the reins and kicked her on trot and canter until I got her unbound. Then went back to contact and regular program. It really helped her. I do that more out in the fields than in the arena. Just go straight and forward where in the arena I tend to try to manage it more. Ive got to though have that forward always even if I sacrifice the contact for a bit at least for now as she is figuring out this next level of work. That’s why I went back to asking for piaffe at the end of the ride to check that we had it when asked not when she thought I was asking. We got it I gave her a long rein and stopped.

Memory popped up of Joplin in 2019 just starting under saddle with Cedar’s help. It was fall so she’s been seriously in work for just under 4 years now. Pretty happy with her progress.

It’s been a crazy week here. Gaila is slow to advance her follicle so it’s been vet trips. One dose of frozen means tight timing.

Blob have you done allergy testing on RP? I wonder if it would help?

Demi would love to see more video of you and Besa! She’s such a nice mare. Especially some FCs. I’m thinking those will be in our future this year with Joplin. Would love to see Iberian FCs!

Very warm here. Too warm for February. Makes me concerned for summer in Georgia. Blob poor Rip is so freaking hairy. I may have to do a bib cut just to keep him from sweating in this hot weather. He’s shedding but it will take him two months to lose what yak hair he has. I’ve got horses up during the day under fans already. Bleh

Hope no one is too affected by the big winter storm. Sounds nasty.
Last edited by khall on Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:37 am

Chiming in on the bloating topic I have two in my care that cannot be on pasture because the green grasses , especially in this bizarre early spring, cause horrible gas, to the point of bloat. They are on a largely hay diet, and the low sugar hay. Just to add to the arsenal of information.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:14 am

Wow, T was sore in her low back today. Hoping the latest taping helps her. She usually loves the Hands On Gloves and today did not want them around her loin area.

A was feeling good and we had a nice ride in the much improved indoor arena footing. It feels like I have my 2nd level horse back, though we need to polish the simple changes a bit.

Finally got the custom boots I ordered in August. So glad they fit. Chestnut boots to match the chestnut mares!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1677128752953.jpg
FB_IMG_1677128752953.jpg (174.36 KiB) Viewed 38296 times
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:06 pm

Love the boots SF! Am thinking of getting a pair that are similar since buying more taupe/tan pads/gloves/etc to go with my navy coat.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:00 pm

SF those boots are lovely, that brown is such a rich beautiful color.

re: bloat/gassiness: interesting about the grass and fiber. He's in a fairly low grass pasture because of MM's allergies but a true dry lot is very difficult in GA and not an option at my barn. In the past he's done fine on a much lusher pasture. But it could have changed. He's on very little beet pulp, just a vehicle to get his powdered supplements in. But I could try a different way to get him to eat his powders. Though all the ones I can think of are high fiber. One thing I want to try is that when my standard plan when I get to the barn is that I grab both my horses from their pasture, throw RP in his stall and ride MM first. The stalls are full of OA hay (outside they only have timothy and mine get OA with breakfast). And so while I'm riding MM, he eats OA just before I ride him. The next few times I will try riding him first and see if the additional higher protein/higher calorie hay before riding is playing a role. I know a lot of people say letting the horse eat alfalfa before you ride is good for ulcer prone horses (which he is), so it always seemed like a perfectly good practice. But, it might be too much of something...so definitely something I can test easily.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:00 pm

exvet wrote:Love the boots SF! Am thinking of getting a pair that are similar since buying more taupe/tan pads/gloves/etc to go with my navy coat.

These are Celeris, same brand as my navy patent laceups. They are really nice quality for the price, but the WAIT! I ordered them through a Dutch place, but next time would use Reiten-Leder in Germany instead. Reiten-Leder always has lots of samples, so it's worth trolling them occasionally to see if they have what you want (that is how I got my patent boots).

I ordered a pair of Cavallos from Hufglocken two months later and they are also in the mail, so their production time is much better right now. I think the Cavallos will be nice but they don't offer as many options as Celeris. What can I say, I was taking advantage of the exchange rates (and the Hufglocken % off sales). Salivating over a pair of sheepskin lined boots, but my old Ariat Bromonts are stubbornly durable.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:50 pm

Blob, it is possibly not diet related and a hypomotility disorder. There is a human drug they recently started using with horses.

I love your boots StraightForward.

We have had some drama, a rabid raccoon was struggling around the barn so I'm in the process of getting everyone vaccinated for rabies.

Between the uncooperative animal control/ state police and NJ rabies control it was a nightmare.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:30 pm

Chisamba wrote:Blob, it is possibly not diet related and a hypomotility disorder. There is a human drug they recently started using with horses.

That is interesting! Honestly, not something I'd considered previously. I don't know much about how hypomotility disorder presents in horses, but I will look it up and talk to my vet!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:56 pm

exvet wrote:Love the boots SF! Am thinking of getting a pair that are similar since buying more taupe/tan pads/gloves/etc to go with my navy coat.

Ooh, oooooh. I can tell you how to dye your white stuff! :lol: Just FYI, it's in the rulebook that gloves still have to be white or black.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:09 pm

Tanga wrote:

Ooh, oooooh. I can tell you how to dye your white stuff! :lol: Just FYI, it's in the rulebook that gloves still have to be white or black.

Interesting because I've been showing with the brown gloves for 3 recognized shows and NO ONE has said anything.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:25 pm

So today's lesson - controlling the outside shoulder in order to get a straight canter depart. Junior was NOT happy about the task at all because he absolutely doesn't want me to have control of that right shoulder but with much insistence, he did give me some engaged, withers lifted canter departs which felt awesome. Of course, this was more food for thought on our journey to correct flying changes. My homework is to Own the preparation for the change. I was told that if I can get the set up where when coming across the centerline on the diagonal in the canter I'm able to mobilize the shoulders [to the opposite lead/direction] by the time I get to 'X' and Junior is good in the hand/connection/base of the neck 5 rides (days) in a row, I can then attempt the change. Until then, I'm to ride the exercise and either continue in counter canter or ask for the transition to trot and if he does anything other than what is requested, it's a come to Jezuz moment. I at least have him understanding that he is NOT to give me a flying change unless I ask. I also succeeded in getting control of the shoulders. Having a much looser noseband without a flash is very eye opening too. When he's supple and good in the hand, no open mouth or tongue over the bit. When his mouth opens, I've lost the hind leg or legs. Quite the journey, this one.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:48 pm

Exvet, the clinician I worked with last year had several of the riders he was working with work on changes on the rail or on a circle going from true canter to counter canter in order to control the shoulder and get a straighter, cleaner change. He talked about it being his preferred way rather than going from counter canter to true canter or true to true canter because there was less anticipation and easier to keep the shoulder upright and straight.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:18 pm

Here is the glove rule:

1.7 Gloves. White or light colored gloves are recommended and any solid color is
permitted at Fourth Level and below. Black, brown, or white gloves are required in FEI
tests or levels.

So hot pink gloves if you want, just no patterns! :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:29 am

I came to write what StraightForward wrote. ( without suggesting pink) I usually match my gloves to the horse to encourage a seamless appearance from arm to neck.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:14 pm

Didn't know about the limits at FEI.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:10 pm

exvet wrote:
Tanga wrote:

Interesting because I've been showing with the brown gloves for 3 recognized shows and NO ONE has said anything.

I'm not up on USDF rules! But, I really, really, really want one of you guys to show i pink gloves!

Buuuuuut, just be aware that if someone doesn't say anything, doesn't mean it's not against the rules. I literally rode with a western curb chain, so it had leather around the actual bit instead of the metal because my horses are so sensitive. I had every TD take pictures and check with the officials, and they told me they discussed it at the symposium. Then Heidi Gaian, who has the eyes of an eagle and sees everything, called the TD. Months later I got an official letter from the USDF that I had violated the rules! Apparently, using pictures of my bridle, they had discussed this and decided it was illegal because it "altered" the original bit by taking off the curb hooks. Nevermind that it's OK to alter it by adding the little rubber covered hooks I bought. And the two TD's I see at all shows never told me about this. Ugh.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:41 pm

Tanga wrote:
exvet wrote:
Tanga wrote:

I'm not up on USDF rules! But, I really, really, really want one of you guys to show i pink gloves!

Buuuuuut, just be aware that if someone doesn't say anything, doesn't mean it's not against the rules. I literally rode with a western curb chain, so it had leather around the actual bit instead of the metal because my horses are so sensitive. I had every TD take pictures and check with the officials, and they told me they discussed it at the symposium. Then Heidi Gaian, who has the eyes of an eagle and sees everything, called the TD. Months later I got an official letter from the USDF that I had violated the rules! Apparently, using pictures of my bridle, they had discussed this and decided it was illegal because it "altered" the original bit by taking off the curb hooks. Nevermind that it's OK to alter it by adding the little rubber covered hooks I bought. And the two TD's I see at all shows never told me about this. Ugh.

Having been a ring steward more than once I realize that not being informed doesn't make it okay or 'legal'. However, for that same reason I ended up giving myself a target on my back because I did have the TD inform more than one rider (all the same trainer) that their students' spurs were upside down. Those riders would have/could have been disqualified if anyone else noticed (this was in the warmup and I'm pretty sure before their tests) once in the ring. I'm not sure they appreciated the notice. I've received letters from the USEF informing me of allegations of being a professional while showing as an amateur and informed that my awards were all going to be stripped. One year later the case was dismissed. The allegation was filed while I was heavily competing and took a while for the letter to reach me (all the while garnering some of my bigger achievements). My stallion and other horses were tested for 3 years consecutively at every show (not just at Westworld) because the vet testing knew who and what I was; so much for random (having been a tester in the past I know how it works). Never has any of my horses tested positive but you just never know when using supplements how some of the proprietary preps may hang you up, and not knowing isn't going to save you. Let's just say that it would seem that these violations/accusations of the same have a way of finding me even if it takes months. Fortunately, in this case the brown gloves won't haunt me. This is actually one reason why I often paid the extra to have a coach - not all are knowledgeable but considering most of my coaches have been USEF judges it has helped keep the vultures at bay and me 'honest'.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:04 pm

exvet wrote:Ugh! more rain! Not the best way to start off the new year with a 3-day horse show looming overhead. Goals for all 3 are basically the same as last go round. I hope to get qualifying for the regionals behind me with the upcoming show so that I can focus on improving the quality of the gaits and connection on both Brandon and Junior for the remainder of this period. I hope to stay on top of my fitness. As far as Ace goes, well, he's the sweetest pudge (fit fat) that will continue his trail jaunts once the weather improves which isn't going to be for another week at least. The next two months are usually our 'rainy' season and so it goes. At least it looks like we're guaranteed a beautiful late winter/early spring flower season.

Considering we're marching into the next 'segment' next week, it's raining today, and I work the next 3 days, I think I'll close out the first round for this year. We've seemed to have had a particularly wet season, but I really am not complaining. I did qualify Brandon for regionals at training level. Since we appear to be unlocking the mystery of connection and have found that we CAN work over our back, I may try to qualify him at first as well. We'll see. That is my main goal with him this next round - work on seamless connection, even in both reins and getting him to work over his back. He's doing very well with the in-hand training (there is definitely more than one benefit to rain in the desert). I'll let someone else start the new thread but I'm going to list out more specific plans/goals in how to get there once I have a chance to develop it in my mind.

The elusive FLYING changes - I sound like a broken record BUT working on the basics both in-hand and under saddle are paying off with both boys. Junior is getting stronger and perhaps we'll be able to qualify for regionals at third level with the show in April. We continue to work on the quality of gaits, mostly the canter and though it's not where I want it to be, it is getting better.

We went trail riding yesterday and the desert violets and poppies were just starting to show. As suspected, it looks like we'll have a colorful spring.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:54 pm

I wish I'd had my camera running yesterday. Tesla got a back taping on Wednesday, and I rode her Friday in my jumping saddle, and she was still not wanting to canter, but otherwise seemed OK. Yesterday I set up a small course of crossrails thinking that going over some jumps might get her cantering. She was actually jumping them OK (i.e. not plowing through them), but at best I'd get 2-3 canter strides on the other side and she'd grind down to a trot again, so I gave it up and focused on schooling in the trot. Eventually I got a nice strong trot and aimed her at one last jump just for the heck of it. I don't know if she thought we were going to go around it or what, but it didn't feel like she was going to jump, and then at the last moment she went into giraffe mode and I had a mane full of face as she did some ridiculous bunny hop over it. There was an airborne second where I thought we were about to have a wreck, but she landed on the other side in an actual canter, so I just got up in the stirrups and did a big canter about 5x around, crossed the arena and did about 3 laps on the other lead with lots of praise and called it a day. It was almost like she had to get shocked out of lockdown mode, and suddenly realized that she could canter and was not uncomfortable. Hopefully we still have the canter today, but who knows.

In the realm of bits, I've just swapped her over to a Fager Nils, which is much like a Myler 01 snaffle, but with a sweet iron mouth. So far it seems promising. The one I found on sale happened to be the Baby Fulmer style, so I might need to confer with a TD on its legality if it ends up being THE bit.

Did a bit of jumping with A last night too - she wasn't super into it, but was a good girl and did some 2' jumps despite my clumsy navigation. I am going to talk to the teen trainer who has a couple sales horses at the barn and see if we can arrange for her to school her over jumps once a week for the next couple months. She is a smaller and much braver jumper than me, so I think she could get A doing a 2'3' or 2'6" course without much trouble.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:01 pm

I had a very nice ride on a very well mannered, receptive and soft horse on Friday. He's really released in his back, and really everywhere else, especially through his shoulders. Such a joy when he's like that!

So now we are hunkering down for another huge winter storm. 10-20" of snow forecast between now and Wednesday evening. I won't be able to ride Thursday as I have been called for jury selection. Friday its supposed to snow and I have a client meeting. Sigh. If I get selected for jury duty it will be Monday-Wednesday the following week. The only days on the calendar with little suns on them.

It is what it is. Potters will be happy working with Justin.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:30 pm

Closing out February feels like a milestone for New England winter. We're on the homestretch even if we are supposed to get snow almost every day this week.

Goals:
So my goal this period is simply to ride. Whatever that looks like, and however frequently that ends up. Success. I rode and hacked when I could and when I needed to.

Motivation has been here and there due to just helping my mom. I did have a lovely ride up at the big arena hire about a week ago. Played around with canter half pass and was quite pleased with her progress. Once we get outside at home that will be much easier to work. It's a bit too small in our indoor to manage efforts and fixes on a line. Another spring thing to look forward to.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:27 pm

Here is my close out...

blob wrote:
Me:
Exercise out of the saddle, even if it is just walking yes! thanks to my walking treadmill this was a success
Cook/eat well
Find time to balance riding/barn time with other obligations work and travel has made this not a good riding period

RP:
Continue lateral work
Continue to work on lengthening, get more variation/distinction within gaits
Do lots of hills and poles to build booty strength
Figure out my PIVO and try a virtual lesson in Jan figuring out lessons/pivo needs to be a priority in next bimester

MM:
Continue to work on fitness/stamina
Do work at liberty or in hand a few times a month I did this at the beginning but then it fell off, partly because of rain making the footing not ideal for play
Plan ahead for spring allergies

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:43 pm

Ah. We're closing out February with heavy rain and nonstop rain in the forecast in CA (and of course snow at almost sea level, hail, and who knows what.) It usually warms up when it rains here, but it's staying in the 40's during the day, which, for you sturdier people with more metal, is freezing ass cold here! It's good because we need it, but the mud at the bottom of the pasture . . . sigh. I am so lucky where I am now that I have a covered arena with a mirror.

Another show on the 12th and and I am TOTALLY working on everyone's feedback. I am really working on a steadier connection, esp. with Quinn, even if it feels like a heavy hand to me. And I am going to sit and not override at the shows, which I think gets me and both of them too tense. They are fit. They know their jobs. I get nervous during p/p and over do it and throw Quilla off balance. And I can get WONDERFUL ones at home, and I damn well am going to get them at a show--more forward so she feels balanced, steadier in the hand, and NOT too deep into her back. Luckily I got that GP freestyle revamped a bit before the outside arena closed. I switched the piaffe music so it's not so heavy and will put the ones facing towards the judge instead of away, and make it up as I go if I forget what I am doing (which I did on the last one.)

Mud, mud. Let's see how much the hills slide again. They were already starting to come down again after just one rain after a lovely break to dry out some.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:03 pm

These two months went by fast!

Besa:
1) ride 5 days a week unless extreme weather prohibits.didn’t manage this but I did get a lot of rides despite the weather and life
2)video every ride unless extreme western, didnt manage to video either, but I am getting very interested in “seeing” how B is going lately as it feels quite nice
3) haul to trainer 1 X a week, unless extreme weather. Again, didnt fully manage this but managed 4 lessons in the last two months
4) work on getting my seat and hands coordinated. After watching today’s video I think I need to quicken my seat into a more relaxed hand. In other words, ride her up to receiving hands…and this is the best one. I feel that we are getting on the same page and B is figuring out what I want, and is happy to comply. I love how she is going for me. My trainer has been happy with all of our lessons since I brought B home. The video will tell…

I managed to trail ride Rocky once a week and she seems fine with that.

I didnt manage to lose 4 lbs but Im okay with that. Having my mom living with me is (and I feel guilty for even saying this, but) stressful. I am not eating well and I’m drinking too much wine because of the stress. If I could cut out the stress eating and drinking I might be thin, but I’d me a thin raving maniac.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:50 pm

Hard to believe it's already the end of February. Great close-outs, Demi, Tanga, blob, and Aleuronx (and anyone else I may have missed)!

It was a surprisingly accomplished Jan/Feb for me. Saddle fitting, clinic, show, rodeo & parade (seriously, my horse is a saint). Closing this month with a new set of x-rays and the knowledge that a hock is fusing, so starting out on hock injections and adequan-- and after a week, Queso is a terror in the pasture. Zoomies for days. Good to know the vet intervention is working!

Ponichiwa wrote:I do have a bit of a laundry list of goals this time around:

For me:
- Exercise every day (ride/walk/yoga/bike/other) 6.75 days/week on average, so I'm calling this a win
- Count calories (to re-lose those 5+ lb again) Ending these 2 months -7 from my Jan 1 weight-- painful, but a victory
- Ride 4-5x/week Had the last week off due to vaccinations & hock injections
- Plan 1 horse outing per month (show/clinic/other) Clinic in Jan, show in Feb

For Queso:
- Show 3rd level USEF & Level 4 WDAA end of January (& qualify for the championships) Not the scores I wanted-- trying again in March
- Off-property clinic And it was lovely
- Confirm canter squares w/ 1/4-pirouettes; work towards 1/3 or 1/2 pirouettes by end of Feb Left these alone post-January when my changes started getting kind of wonky
- W & T in harness with a cart by end JanuaryQueso successfully pulled a cart, driven by my dad, down a parade and in a rodeo and is worth his weight in gold

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:54 pm

demi wrote:These two months went by fast!

I didnt manage to lose 4 lbs but Im okay with that. Having my mom living with me is (and I feel guilty for even saying this, but) stressful. I am not eating well and I’m drinking too much wine because of the stress. If I could cut out the stress eating and drinking I might be thin, but I’d me a thin raving maniac.

Demi I'm afraid I have the same coping mechanisms, LOL, between work, my mom, my SO's radiation treatments recently starting et al. If I didn't have the horses and wine, I'd probably be in jail.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:25 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:It was a surprisingly accomplished Jan/Feb for me. Saddle fitting, clinic, show, rodeo & parade (seriously, my horse is a saint). Closing this month with a new set of x-rays and the knowledge that a hock is fusing, so starting out on hock injections and adequan-- and after a week, Queso is a terror in the pasture. Zoomies for days. Good to know the vet intervention is working!

Aw, I'm so pleased to here it wasn't something more sinister and you have the beautiful Queso on the right path. Love when they get sassy when they feel good!

khall

Postby khall » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 pm

Very happy with Joplin for January and February culminating in hauling out to show venue to school new test. She was excellent! The leather tree saddle seems to be the ticket. Holistic vet checked her and no whither soreness. Selling the Dynamic which is out on trial right now.
Gaila was bred over the weekend unfortunately for frozen the timing was not optimal. Dang it! Jingles there were some hardy swimmers still there for ovulation! Otherwise I’ll be tempted to try again in March. Ugh $$$.

I’m hot and heavy prepping for Jillian next month. Riding slots are full. Still have non rider for course 2 available. So been working the phone for those spots. Have first 2 Cedar clinics overflowing with rides in May and June. No WE clinic scheduled at this time. Difficult to find WE instructor that is reasonable.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:49 pm

Life changes. Lex sold ( still training him )

Honey Brook Beauty. Finally comfortable with the bit.

Able to be led without attempting to run circles around the leader.

Able to stand tied, stand for farrier and almost stand to be mounted. Going walk trot, haven't even attempted canter.

Saiph, prepping for PSG. Trying to get straight predictable flying changes. She is not fancy but the trot work is there.

Kimba. Back to work. She seems to have totally forgotten her flying changes with her foray into schoolmasterhood.

Me. Well I didn't lose weight but I am able to exercise more

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:44 am

Well, getting dumped 2 weeks into this period was not on my goals list. But, every cloud has a silver lining.

My trainer took it personally ("people do not fall off in my barn!") and took Potters away from me for 6 weeks while he went back to basics. He's learned to relax into the contact and connect the various parts of his body, developed confidence in himself and in us, and is really learning to control his emotions.

As a result, he's becoming very much safer and happier under saddle, is developing a very good topline, and the bonus is that his gaits have improved as well. He always was comfortable, but now he's just scrumptious. I've been back on him 3 or 4 times now and I'm just so happy with how he feels. I'm having to go back to the basics as well, which is absolutely fine by me.

He's not above a little whoopee, but he doesn't really have his heart in it in quite the same way!

I've been working quite hard on myself in the meantime. I'm a bit stuck on the weight loss, down 6lbs, but haven't quite made it to the next step yet. I need to be rigid about watching the alcohol consumption otherwise I'm inclined to hit the chocolate too, and I've let it slide a bit recently. The weather doesn't help.

I've been exercising every day on the rebounder, which has been immensely useful, as I've finally learned how to keep my hands quiet while the rest of my body does things. This is a complete halleluiah moment for me--I've always been uncoordinated and a bit on the rigid side--and has translated very noticeably to under saddle work. It's also improving my balance and flexibility as well as giving me a solid aerobic workout in 20-25 minutes a day. Who knew?

demi

Postby demi » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:23 am

exvet wrote:
demi wrote:These two months went by fast!

Demi I'm afraid I have the same coping mechanisms, LOL, between work, my mom, my SO's radiation treatments recently starting et al. If I didn't have the horses and wine, I'd probably be in jail.

Literally laughed out loud when I got to the part where you’d probably be in jail :lol:

demi

Postby demi » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:25 am

Nice reports so far, especially since Jan and Feb are not especially good riding months. Very happy to hear about M and Potters! Looking forward!!

Oh, and I want to see pics of Queso in the parade with “dad”!!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:07 am

demi wrote:Nice reports so far, especially since Jan and Feb are not especially good riding months.

That has been true here. I have gotten some riding in but the weather has been pretty crappy (no indoor). Nothing extreme like a lot of people are getting but blustery, cold and wet (alternating snow and rain). Such is life with no indoor.

As usual…we just continue working on basics when I can ride. She seems to be in that transitional heat time and is a bit more distracted than usual. Add in the wind and well…I still need to try her noise canceling bonnet on her.
She is very obedient but with much more tension than I want. Hence on the last ride we didn’t ever get around to canter. Neither one of our bodies needs that discomfort. Today was simply a hand walk as the arena was like cold soup…standing water where there wasn’t snow. However, I made her do a few things on our walk like leg yielding up the hill (the less steep part) and doing our back up sets up hill. We finished up with some Spanish walk so tried to work in some ‘therapy’ exercises.

The vet is coming out on March 9th. Her right hind seems to be working fine now. I suspect some of the issue this winter was lack of exercise but at times, the footing is just too wet…or frozen…or…I am going to have him check it anyway as that is her weaker side and she is squaring her toe off on that side.

Susan

I finished my formal physical therapy last week and the hip is quite a bit better. I just have to keep up the exercises by myself. I have been trying to walk more and include steps and hills in preparation for my Iceland trip.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:55 am

Speaking of riding deeper I think I cracked the code on Ts recent non-cantering phase. I'm going to close out end of the week and then start the next segment after I get back from work travel on the 10th.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:17 am

demi wrote:Nice reports so far, especially since Jan and Feb are not especially good riding months. Very happy to hear about M and Potters! Looking forward!!

Oh, and I want to see pics of Queso in the parade with “dad”!!

Always dangerous to show even a glimmer of interest in Queso pictures!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:38 am

Such a handsome cheesy dude :D

Maia and I solved our [99% mine] canter problem, and spent the last few rides doing simple changes. I love when everything clicks! When our Masterson bodyworker was out this past week, she complemented Maia's prominent abdominal oblique muscles.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:16 am

LOVE the pic! He really is a golden boy. Your dad looks so proud!

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:55 pm

Ponichia very cool!!!!! I've ridden in parades and I've driven a LOT but the thought of combining the two gives me shivers, well done! And in a snaffle to boot!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:53 pm

Yeah Queso has a home for life. Pulled my non-horsey dad through some very dramatic rodeo and parade moments like he'd been doing it his whole life. Dad got to feel like a master horseman, and I got to breathe a sigh of relief and then stuff Queso full of molasses cookies for being such a good boy.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:09 am

What an utterly frameable photo, Ponichiwa. Cherish the both of them.

Return to “Dressage Training”