Mary Wanless books

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Mary Wanless books

Postby blob » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:12 pm

Has anyone read any of her books? Do you find them helpful?

I think it would be valuable for me to spend some time focusing more on rider biomechanics/equitation this year. I know a lot of folks love Mary Wanless (and others don't, of course). But curious if anyone has used her books and whether her teachings translate well into book format?

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Re: Mary Wanless books

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:25 pm

I have most of her books and have audited a clinic with Mary plus several with her direct students. (Most auditing many years ago.) I think most of the controversy about Mary Wanless has to do with her personality not so much with her biomechanics. I find her books and diagrams very useful. The clinics helped to demonstrate what exactly she meant and how it looks. I’m not riding much any more for health reasons but I still read her books. I also like Suzanne Von Dietz’s books. Basic knowledge of human anatomy helps in both cases. Suzanne is a gentler version.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:13 pm

Blob - I have the books Srhorselady mentioned. Mary Wanless and Suzanne Von Dietz’s books with a DVD. PM me if you want them free - just cover shipping cost.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:25 pm

I sent you a PM, Josette!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:54 am

I have Mary Wanless videos (on VHS!) and yes it helped a fair bit of my riding, however I did overdo a few things that I later had to undo. So, if you're doing it without and instructor video yourself and double check what you're feeling and seeing match up.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:10 pm

Yes, they are all very good. However, its definitely better to get a trainer to walk you though things on the horse and use the books as a supplement.

Return to “Dressage Training”