Great video lecture

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Great video lecture

Postby Tanga » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMEXvcFdkPc

This was done by our chapter and is very cool. It is so much of what I believe and am disheartened with in dressage with these supposed "great uphill movers" that are functionally incorrect.

Quelah
Herd Member

Re: Great video lecture

Postby Quelah » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:54 pm

Tanga thanks for sharing, I didn't realize you are in the East Bay, whereabouts are you?

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:35 pm

Pretty good info Tanga, it's stuff that I've been taught for a while now with my instructor. It's getting it out there for more people to understand which is great. However, there still isn't much change yet is there.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:00 am

Are you in the east bay, too, Quelah? I live in Hayward, horses in CV.

Agree, Flight, it's basics. What gets me, is it used to be "out there" as a standard. Of course the back needs to be lifted and moving, muscled and the top of the neck. The problem is now we see some of the top horses in the world with no necks flat, straight up being pulled back into "collection," so everyone is on the leg flinging is collection bandwagon.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:21 am

Yes Tanga, we're on the backside of Mount Diablo, between Clayton and Brentwood, AKA The East Bay Fire Factory :lol:

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:43 am

Thanks for sharing this, I'm just over halfway through. I'm not terrible at conformation, but not so practiced at evaluating muscles and posture. The detailed evaluations are really helpful.

ETA: While I can see the ropy neck muscles clearly, I am hesitant to judge it based on one picture, because it might just be because of how the horse is asked to stand or position at the time of the picture. Indicators like the dip in front of the wither or lack of muscle behind the wither is much easier to judge from a picture.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:51 pm

Thanks Tanga, I found some time to watch it last night, and found it interesting! I am surprised she didn't talk about DSLD with the hypermobility, but there is a lot of ground to cover.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:35 am

Quelah--oh boy, you are put where it's hot.

Mari--She says over and over it's just a picture, but is just teaching you to look. Some of the pictures I wouldn't have known why, but would never have thought those horses were trained in any way correctly.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:51 am

Ja, I heard her say that. What I really found interesting was the one or two pictures of horses that, when looked at with a "soft eye", actually looked really good to me on first glance, but then she pointed out the lack of muscle on the back, which wasn't obvious to me at first. Very useful.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:16 pm

Tanga wrote:Quelah--oh boy, you are put where it's hot.

:lol: Yes we are! There's a reason the Brentwood magazine is called 110 degrees! Oregon calls to me quite often.

Return to “Dressage Training”