Springing into May and June - Goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Springing into May and June - Goals and progress

Postby Tanga » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:44 am

Quilla I-2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3jRKfIddJg
freestyle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6xB6X5RUE (from Slumdog Millionaire)
Styling the cheap looking cooling vest, but, I didn't get heatstroke! (One GP rider did three movements and retired, too hot.)

7.5's for both horses on pirouettes and half passes.
BTW, yes, Quilla can halt and walk and we've been working on it and she's been great at home.

Would LOVE feedback on freestyle. The judge said the music didn't really enhance her. Which of the two types of music do you like?

This is the other music from Paul Leonard Morgan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVintwo09kI

I need to redo the choreography again, so no passage into/out of first halt, or canter out of so I can get a halt. Maybe passage in and start with a walk and break up the walk. I think this one, though I like it, has too much p/p. I need to cut back. I added another HP sequence to it, which I think is good. Maybe take out some p/p and add double pirouettes. The pirouettes and p/p have coefficients of 2, so I need to emphasis them. I really like coming out of canter (when I'm not behind the music) and doing extended trot because that's usually when I get the best from her, and it's super easy to go from that to piaffe. Maybe rework with a canter, ext. trot, piaffe, passage piaffe. Maybe double one handed pirouette at the end? The halt in this one was from a piaffe one handed, and she usually does it well.

Seriously, all feedback welcome. I will enter a show in a month and do both days and have time to rework Quilla's whole freestyle. Quinn's is right where I want it now.

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:00 am

Congrats on your scores, especially in the heat! Thanks for sharing vids, always good to watch. I was wondering what you get for your piris, they are something I'm struggling with now.
By the way Attainable dressage would be a good name. I'm actually seriously thinking about doing some coaching, well more letting friends/people I know have some lessons on my horses so they get a chance to feel a horse with a bit more training than theirs. I just have to look into insurance. People are always dropping hints about riding Ding!

As for freestyle music, I like the Paul Leonard Morgan one (I dont know who he is, I'm very non-musical) but your horses are quite fine and prancy looking so I think they need finer music. They're not solid stompy horses, so might suit lighter more musical sounds. If that makes any sense at all!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:45 am

Thanks, Flight. I appreciate the feedback. Paul Leonard Morgan just composes music for everything--I got hooked on him when I heard a piece of music that was used in a Chevron commercial, of all things, I could never get out of my head. Unfortunately, it does not fit the horse! I will look at her to that music again and rethink it!

I think most of my pirouettes are generally very good and have been very frustrated the last two years with getting 6's on ones that look like this, where I always got 8's before.

I'm liking Attainable Dressage, too. I totally think you should use your horses to let people pay you to feel cool things! Don't get talked into doing it all for free, like it's been for me!
Last edited by Tanga on Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:46 pm

I lean towards flight's suggestions with the music Tanga and thank you for the videos, always helpful to watch. I think whatever name you go with for your service/offering will be good but I do like Attainable Dressage. I had two friends I was very close with while living and showing horses in KC, MO. They both let me ride their upper level horses in clinics with a S judge we would fly in to help us once a month during the more hospitable weather months. The opportunity to do so was invaluable. Monty at 24 continues to give riders the opportunity to feel/ride the flying changes. I'm not sure what his owner charges for that but I know it helps pay for his feed bill.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:03 pm

It's past time to close out. Suffice to say this period did not end the way I was hoping, but that is life with horses.

Annabelle was doing great and I was getting serious about finding her new person, then disaster struck. :(

Tesla - I think we've made some good progress, though it's always two steps forward, one step back with her. It was lucky that the last time she really decided to dig in and quit on me happened to be when I had three consecutive days of lessons scheduled. So we snuffed that out and were able to move forward. We did manage to go out at TL and nail all of our canter work (well it was lateral, but she was obedient and went forward).

I was kind of in a dewloop about halfway through DRT3, so I restarted from week 1 and am back up to week 7 now. I keep tweaking my seat and am feeling pretty good about it. I sat all the trot work in sail TL tests and managed to get 7's both tests on rider position.

Annabelle
Continue on her jumping progress
Get her back up to snuff on the 2nd level work
Get serious about finding her new person

Tesla
Getting in front of the leg quicker - no more 45 minute warmups!
Get cantering earlier in the ride so we can actually school in canter
Jump once a week
Keep working the trot adjustability and start incorporating that into the canter work as well.
Get her off property a few times (first will be next Saturday jumping x-rails)

Self
Finish up DRT3
Keep working on small adjustments to get my seat more dialed in.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:52 pm

Congrats, Tanga!

I'm closing out on a not very successful bi-mester and hoping the next set is better...

blob wrote:Self
Make time to ride even as work picks up
Keep using walking treadmill desk
Eat better

MM
Bring more lateral work into the routine, including HPs
Keep fitness sessions up
Take a jump lesson

RP
Figure out what's going on and get him back on track
If he's back on track, make it to a show?

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:01 am

I accomplished what I had wanted with just a few blips in the first Cedar clinic of the year when Joplin was dealing with her eye and I had to pivot and ride Chex instead. Second clinic was fantastic. Could not have asked for it to go any better.

Me my fitness and diet have suffered a good bit. Various reasons but need to get back to it.

Return to “Dressage Training”