Springing into May and June - Goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
mari
Herd Member

Re: Springing into May and June - Goals and progress

Postby mari » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:59 am

Moutaineer - The "so much trotting" made me laugh in a meeting :lol: Well done for getting through it, the next will be better I'm sure.

StraightForward - The circle of death makes frequent appearances in our lessons. We call it the same thing too! My horse, when he was young, would be so impossible that we would knock EVERYTHING down, poles and standards. He wasn't wild, just completely unfazed and uncaring. Luckily he is now a pro at it.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:23 pm

Moutaineer you also had me laughing at that comment! Good job on getting out there and ripping off the bandaid to go do it. I think most of us do better the more runs down centerline. Onto the next!

SF that video is definitely showing progress. Tesla seems to be a tough start but I believe you that it will pay off.

We pivoted this weekend to the detriment of my wallet only. The recognized venue I was meant to strut down centerline got dumped with rain and per trainer and others the arenas were solid puddles and slick. So we scratched that. But I was able to wrangle a very kind secretary into letting me pop in a slot at a schooling show the following day in other locale. It was worth the fees and finagling as we had our first clean test where Kora was active, listening and forward, no mistakes. Feels good to get one under our belts to meet our goal of show ring rideability for the year.

Our walk work from hell is clearly paying off.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:03 pm

This is so weird. My account went back to signing me out every time I went away. Today I'm signed in even though I wasn't last time I was here.

I agree, "so much trotting" is such a great comment. It's rough as a judge to try to do your best when the rides aren't so good. I like Mike Osinksi--I've really come to appreciate him over the years, and it doesn't hurt he was a good friend of an old friend. Like a lot of judges who do CDI's and international judging, he doesn't spend his time marking down every little bobble, but Iooks at it more holistically, and everything is usually one of three or four comments--balance, tempo, engagement, etc.--the pyramid. I finally figured that out after scribing for him so much. I'll have to remember that for Saturday. I have a show to judge on Saturday that is actually pretty full already--42 rides a few days ago. Rated shows aren't getting that many rides!

I've been all over the place with showing. I'm just really confused with a lot of these newer judges and what they consider correct. I am now back to, whatever, I'm just going to do it for myself and my horses and enjoy it and do one last champs. as is.. I'm going to do my freestyles, always, and have been tweeking them to maximise. I'm getting really good at Garageband. I'll just do two more local shows where I don't have to drive far for, and see what I qualify for. Luckily, the last one is Osinksi, who I at least trust his opinion. Right now both are qualifed for freestyles for both at I-1 and GP, USDF PSG, I-1, and I-2, and we'll see how many we get for CDS (you need three scores versus 2 for USDF) for PSG, I-1, I-2, and GP. Because of scheduling I always have to drop one of the classes anyway at champs.

I have been really working on massaging Quinn and working on her back and her bracheocephallus, esp. behind her ears, and it really seems to finially be making a difference. I think whatever she did 3-4 years ago pulled something, and it had a cascade effect, so I keep trying to focus on her like I focus on all of my tightness and sore muscles and how I deal with them. I have also been going to bribery big time on all three and teaching them to piaffe just off a verbal signal and get treats from the ground and in the saddle. Hopefully Quilla will be so brainwashed by the show, she won't get stuck and stop in e passage and we can go back to getting 63-64% at GP.

And I am still working on the idea of transitioning and doing limited mini-clinic lessons on GP schoolmasters and then maybe letting someone half lease Quilla to ride and maybe show. I was thinking Sustainable Dressage would be the idea, but that was taken, so maybe Attainable (Sustainable) Dressage. Maybe make a website and just put all of my ideas there so I can share with anyone who is interested. Things are way harder to attain than they used to be, but at least put out ideas about how people can keep their horses barefoot and trim them themselves and in pasture, do their own body work, use the trails for fun and conditioning, as well as focusing on how our bodies get so stuck in one way we really do interfere with these poor horses. Every time I think I finally have it, I discover I don't, and I need to try new things. That's one thing I notice in a lot of people everywhere, and in my barn--riders are doing really obvious (to me) things with their bodies that is interfering with what they are trying to do, but the trainers aren't correcting them. I know some do, but I see it a lot.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:24 pm

Tanga, how about "Hands-on Dressage," "Integrated Dressage," or maybe "Accessible Dressage?" Just some ideas.

Tesla has been better and better each ride this week. I have a very interested buyer coming from eastern Washington to meet A tomorrow. I talked to her on the phone yesterday and she sounds great. Fingers crossed!

Also, I found a Master's Saddlery close contact saddle and have it coming on trial next week. Really hoping it works as it ticks all the boxes and didn't cost a million dollars. I was thinking of springing for a custom-made L&R, but this will leave money for a spanking new dressage saddle should my Vinici need to be replaced at some point. Doesn't make much sense to spring for a new saddle that will get used once a week.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:30 pm

Tanga wrote:And I am still working on the idea of transitioning and doing limited mini-clinic lessons on GP schoolmasters and then maybe letting someone half lease Quilla to ride and maybe show. I was thinking Sustainable Dressage would be the idea, but that was taken, so maybe Attainable (Sustainable) Dressage. Maybe make a website and just put all of my ideas there so I can share with anyone who is interested. Things are way harder to attain than they used to be, but at least put out ideas about how people can keep their horses barefoot and trim them themselves and in pasture, do their own body work, use the trails for fun and conditioning, as well as focusing on how our bodies get so stuck in one way we really do interfere with these poor horses. Every time I think I finally have it, I discover I don't, and I need to try new things. That's one thing I notice in a lot of people everywhere, and in my barn--riders are doing really obvious (to me) things with their bodies that is interfering with what they are trying to do, but the trainers aren't correcting them. I know some do, but I see it a lot.

Tanga, how about "Hands-on Dressage," "Integrated Dressage," or maybe "Accessible Dressage?" Just some ideas. I really like the column Suzanne VonD does/did on position, but of course those are just based on a single photo. It seems like feedback like that based on video, if not in person, could be really valuable. We have a biomechanics type person here who I keep intending to schedule a session with. And I know exactly what you mean; there are people at my barn I would love to help with some position tweaks, but I don't give out unsolicited advice.

Tesla has been better and better each ride this week. I have a very interested buyer coming from eastern Washington to meet A tomorrow. I talked to her on the phone yesterday and she sounds great. Fingers crossed!

Also, I found a Master's Saddlery close contact saddle and have it coming on trial next week. Really hoping it works as it ticks nearly all the boxes and didn't cost a million dollars. I was thinking of springing for a custom-made L&R, but this will leave money for a spanking new dressage saddle should my Vinici become insufficient at some point. Doesn't make much sense to spring for a new saddle that will get used once a week.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:29 pm

Tanga, I hear you. Both with the scratching the head regarding dressage scores and the value of having access to FEI horses and advice as you describe. It's hard to know these days where one fits in when it comes to finding 'your' place in dressage, since the advent of 'qualifying' the medal scores - imo it elevates those with better moving horses as compared to those of us on mediocre mounts. I came to a similar conclusion in the hunter/jumper world but at least had a plethora of C rated shows to keep me busy and somewhat engaged with my 'shit bag' quality of horses. In other words, I knew my place in that world. I will continue to show [dressage] because my goals I think, barring any unforeseen injuries/infirmities to horse or rider, should be attainable; however, I will be the first to admit that my scores will continue to be borderline 60s. THAT is where modern dressage has decreed my Welsh Cob is and forever will be. Since moving my guys up to higher elevation, they have been far more forward with less effort; so I think my behind the leg issues will improve. Unfortunately the tension issues still abound which will keep me at that ceiling. Per Molly this is all on me (the gait scores could be a 7 per her) and I don't disagree but after 3 decades of Welsh Cobs I'm not sure I will ever find the key to total relaxation on the ever ready, over achieving, completely sure "I've got this but I've got this my way" types LOL. At least I enjoy riding my guys and feel safe on my collection of low to mid 60s scorers.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:40 am

How about Attainable, Integrated, Accessible Dressage? :D I'll have to make a feedback post when I start putting together a website.

I am REALLY needing a transition. I just found out because of VS, not only do we have to do temps and a check, we have to get a health certificate from a vet to go to a show! Ahh! So, costs for two horses doing two FEI rides each is about $420. The first vet I called? $450 to get certs. on two horses! I found another one that is "only" going to be about $275 for two horses. Man, this is too expensive.

I get you, exvet. No matter what we do, with the horses and resources, there is only so much we can do. So, I'll do what I can. I'm redoing my freestyles to maximize coolness and have become super good at Garageband. Let's see if we can bump those scores up a bit. I've been pretty much getting 65-67% on both horses, so maybe I can nudge it a little higher.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:42 pm

My problem is that Saiph should probably go to a busy show every other week to just get over the tension and show better, but that is ridiculously expensive. I might be blighted to stay home and school until I feel like I can get a reasonable score even when she is tense and hard to ride.

I've vacillated between showing every week to get show miles and why the heck should I spend all that money. Lol.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:53 pm

Chisamba, could you take her off property to ride very regularly? It's not quite the same as a show environment, but might still help with some tension that comes from traveling, new place, etc.

I have been reading everyone's updates with interest.

Last weekend MM had a colic scare that took up most of my physical and mental energy. Last friday she started turning down food. I got her walking, kept an eye on her, took vitals, etc. And ended up staying at the barn from 3pm--11pm waiting for her to pass manure. She did, but obviously only one pile of poop in that span of time is far from ideal. It was a weekend, but the vet on call at the clinic happened to be our regular vet, which was great, and she and I stayed in close contact via text through the weekend. MM never escalated to show real pain symptoms but she is also so stoic. But her system was clearly not moving correctly. By sunday she seemed much better--pink gums, normal gut sounds, showing more appetite. But still kept a very conservative approach and only started introducing hay back slowly on sunday. Since then she has seemed like she is ok, not sure what might have triggered it. But she is in a very sparse pasture, so I'm wondering if it's related to that. This week, I'm running a round of sand clear.

Work has been busy so i have not yet built up to canter with RP, but have kept the walk trot working going

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:13 am

I no longer have the type of access I once did; but, I would take my younger horses to 'blue ribbon' shows. These were open, all-breed multi-discipline shows that were relatively low-key but still had many horses, multiple trailers and all sorts of distraction. I would enter walk-trot or english pleasure classes and ride. I wasn't there to compete, just get my horses exposed. At the time the classes were $15-$20 each. Now, though the number of shows has dwindled significantly, they are $35 a class. Chisamba, do you have anything similar in order to give Saiph 'show exposure' at a lower cost?

Well we had a huge scare yesterday. My SO and I were trail riding before I had to haul Brandon and Junior down to the Valley to see my farrier and get a lesson from Molly. We were pretty much done with our 1.5 hour ride and heading to the house when crossing a driveway with a cement bib, Juniors back feet slipped out from under him. He went down on top of me. I was able to break my fall with my elbow so I didn't hit my head but I ended up with road rash (I was riding in long sleeves) on my elbow/forearm and a huge bruise on my hip. Junior amazingly came through it unscathed though bewildered. I ended up putting aluminum shoes on him this morning to give him better traction and will avoid crossing the driveways that are cement at all costs. His shoes (8 weeks out) were very, very worn and slick. My farrier indicated that even with one week on grass, both Junior and Brandon have softer (not bad) souls on their feet. Usually in the desert environment they are rock hard.

At my lesson, on Junior, this morning, we worked on canter quality and Junior's ability to sit and push (engage with power). We started by working on suppling at the trot - figure 8 ten meter and 15 meter circles and demanding he yield to my leg and to do so in less than 3 strides or consequences would be unleashed. It didn't take him long to figure the exercise out so then we moved on to cantering 20 meter circles going from pirouette canter to a longer canter stride keeping roundness and suppleness the priority initially then asking for forward and when the first two pre-requisites were lost going back to more of a collected, not slower trot, rinse and repeat. He received distinct consequences if he sucked back or swallowed the broom and tuned me out when asked to move forward. Instead of making the aid 'louder' I was to do anything, absolutely anything else other than the aid he just blew off, to get his attention on me and then repeat the request (original soft aid). It was another quick lived come to Jesus moment that he figured out. Basically my homework with this one is to not shout louder when Junior blows me off but throw the eraser at his head as old time teachers would when kids would doodle at their desk and fail to hear their name called. So far this seems to work with Junior. The next to last exercise was to canter a 10 meter circle getting Junior to engage and work over the back, then go down the long side asking for him to maintain coming over the back and remaining supple, then add leg to get that bigger bascule, rinse and repeat. We had some nice moments. Finally we ended up on trot work. I was to get Junior soft, supple over the back as I trotted through the short side and proceeded to the quarter line. I was then told to half pass with a soft angle, then go to a steeper angle and back to the soft angle (keeping Junior supple) as we went down the length of the arena. If Junior swallowed the broom or backed off at all OR FAILED to yield to my leg I was to leg yield him away from the leg and in the direction he was stiffening in and to do so in a dramatic way - think side pass, then repeat the half pass. This was another way to help him understand that he is to respond to my aids/requests in the moment without sucking back or getting tense through the back. On the note/idea that Junior struggles with sitting and pushing at the same time - instead he likes to stab his forelegs into the ground with requests to power up and use his forehand to pull himself along (as I used to explain, use the base of his neck to develop power) Molly explained that I need to break things down like they used to do on sesame street when teaching children how to sound out the word cat. First came the 'C' sound then reading and stating the word 'at' as two separate components, repeating them over and over shortening then eventually removing the pause in between the two components so that the children were reading and understanding that they just learned the word 'cat'. This is how we're breaking down the mechanics of the canter so that Junior eventually strings together consistently the strike off of each canter stride with cycling the energy over his back, lifting his wither, staying round and soft and then carrying it through from stride to stride - realizing that he can do this without stabbing his forehand down on the ground, sucking back or swallowing the broom whenever I apply leg or ask for more power. We're getting there, very slowly getting there.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:28 am

That's scary, exvet! I'm glad you're just* scuffed up. And good on Junior for not freaking out! That could have gone far worse.

*Can we ever say "just" when we have a horse land on us?? I still have bruising and scars from Maia landing on me hoof-first.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:02 am

heddylamar wrote:That's scary, exvet! I'm glad you're just* scuffed up. And good on Junior for not freaking out! That could have gone far worse.

*Can we ever say "just" when we have a horse land on us?? I still have bruising and scars from Maia landing on me hoof-first.

Well, it was scary but my greater concern was Junior and his well-being once I knew my feet were free of the stirrups. I am very, very lucky that Junior is so bonded to me and rolls with the punches. I've had worse injuries from horses landing on me but to be honest, like other unplanned dismounts I reacted so automatically that I didn't realize the true severity of it until well after it was over and done. I think to a degree that has been my salvation. Of course it's nothing I'd recommend and do everything I can to avoid putting myself in such situations; however, it just goes to show that it doesn't matter how experienced one is or how well behaved a horse is, the sport is dangerous. I do LOVE my pony.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:52 pm

Yikes, Exvet!

And yes, I see safety stirrups being a purchase in my not too distant future.

A lovely week of riding post-show here. Much productive work on getting in front of my leg at all gaits. Its hard work for both of us, my body is happy to take the weekend off and I suspect he's feeling the same way.

He's so much easier to ride when he's taking responsibility for the forward motion and hind end engagement and I can focus on directing the steering and movements! We just have to be able to normalize that relationship so we can take it into the show ring.

I bought him a new double bridle in the Lumiere sale last week. I was expecting it to take forever to ship from Australia, but discover that they now have a warehouse about 40 minutes away! So I should get it early next week. It will be nice to have something that is cushy and fits him properly around the ears, and with luck their reins won't rip my hands apart.

So I'm going to spend the weekend working in my garden :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:54 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Yikes, Exvet!

And yes, I see safety stirrups being a purchase in my not too distant future.

Ditto the yikes and glad you're mostly ok ExVet!

I put the Acavallo Arena safety irons on my jumping saddle when I started jumping T and really like them. Just discovered that my SafeStyle irons aren't technically legal from r showing, so I tried the Acavallos on my dressage saddle this week and was pleasantly surprised at how well they worked
I didn't miss the weight z and like the wider cheese grater footbed. So a pair of those in black are in my future.

Hope you enjoy the new bridle
I've had that brand on A for about two years and have been very happy with it.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:39 pm

I'm hoping our new 'digs' is giving me an opportunity to work on the tension Monster on both boys. I worked Junior today in the large (roping size) arena and we worked through the exercises to help with him connecting sitting, forward and elasticity without becoming stiff as a board. Our changes were better too because there was some wind, cooler temps and some incentive from me to not get behind the leg. Overall I think he's still making progress in the correct direction.

I plan to show in a schooling show at the end of July. The judge is a USEF 'S' judge who I've worked with on and off for many years. It will be fantastic to get her feedback on both Junior and Brandon. I haven't ridden with her in over a year; so, we'll see.......and I'm toying with riding third 3 and fourth 1. Since it's a schooling show I don't think it will be too much since the purpose of fourth 1 is to just 'ride' the test.

I rode Brandon yesterday in the same arena. He threw a shoe a week ago so he had some time off and yesterday was the first day 'back'. He was VERY anxious which of course manifests in his mouth. I was able to ride through it and get him a bit better in the mouth by the end. His canter is really starting to become better balanced. Today the plans with him is to trail ride. We'll see if he's as tense as yesterday.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:26 pm

Well, I had a very interested buyer drive seven hours to see Annabelle on Friday. She had evented up to prelim in the past, but had only been riding lightly recently. She was older than I expected (70 maybe?) and probably about 100# soaking wet. She just didn't have the strength to ride A, even though she felt perfectly light to me when I warmed her up. She'd planned to come ride again Saturday morning, but texted and said after sleeping on it she realized it was not going to work. Tomorrow I have a semi-local pony club instructor coming to see if she might work as a step-up horse for her 13 year old daughter. Even if that doesn't work, at least she is someone with lots of contacts. Simultaneously wheeling and dealing saddles; I'll be happy when everything is more settled. Last night I got her sharpened up and gave her a day off today so hopefully she'll be on her game tomorrow.

This morning I had the audacity to pull T from her morning turnout to work. She was OK until coming around the corner where she would see her girls in the pasture, and then she'd slam on the brakes. Well she got wholloped plenty for that. Pretty sure a certain onlooker thinks I'm a psycho horse abuser. But she got over it and went on to have a pretty excellent ride. After that I went over and watched some 2-3 tests at this weekend's show. It's great with the new site/app showing the scores right away. There were only three rides, but they all cleared 70%. I've got my work cut out for me, but I think if things fall into place we might be in the mix next year, and this gave me a good sense of what I need to ride towards.
Last edited by StraightForward on Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:02 pm

At least your potential buyer recognized her limitations before she got in over her head. My dear 80 year old 4'11" friend bought herself a new horse in the Spring. Its not working out, and I feel so badly for her and the horse, TBH.

Summer arrived yesterday. I've just got back in from a broiling but successful lesson.

I'm getting a handle on how much forward and jump I need in the collected canter to get the work done. It does turn him into a bit of a fire-breathing dragon so I also have to remember to breathe and not anxiety tighten through my hips and seat too much.

But, to paraphrase Chisamba, the way to improve the canter is to canter more... so here we are, cantering more!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:54 am

Well today was awful. Mom and daughter came to see Annabelle, daughter fit nicely on her and they were about 20 minutes in having a good ride and popped over a couple crossrails. Instructor showed up and I turned things over to her. She had the girl pushing her quite forward, which wasn't terrible, and they did OK jumping a vertical at the upper end of the arena. Then she had her come around to a small vertical at the lower end of the arena, and I didn't see the whole thing unfold, but I think she had her going too fast and flat, and poor A did her best to jump, and got her front end over, but hung her hind legs on the fence and went down on her knees hard. Luckily the girl was not injured, but Annabelle's knees are torn up. She is on three weeks of stall rest, antibiotics and previcox. There was nothing to stitch, I am just hoping that the scars on her knees aren't too bad, and she isn't scared to jump after this. I feel terrible that she was put through this when she was trying her best to do what was asked. Ugh. The mom apologized in person and via Messenger (which I screen shotted). The poor girl was shook up and felt terrible, but she was just trying to follow instructions too. So tonight I'm online trying to delete all of her ads. What a giant crap sandwich.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:39 am

Oh, no SF, what a shitshow!

Poot Annabelle. I hope the trainer is showing due contrition also.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:04 am

I told the mom that everyone at my barn is appalled and suggested that the trainer should help with the vet bill, but no response so far. I don't have any leverage, but it's kind of like taking a car for a test drive and taking to responsibility for crashing it. The trainer helped get her hosed and bandaged, but did not apologize as far as I can remember.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:45 pm

So sorry SF. The only thing I hate worse than saddle shopping/selling is horse buying/selling. I've had people come out despite phone conversations of a very frank nature that were turned away after a few minutes of 'chit chat' on my property because I wasn't willing to take the liability of an obvious mismatch. I started to have people sign a liability release when they would come 'try' out my horse and that included those not yet under saddle. I have even stepped in and ended a PPE NOT because I thought the 2 year old had any issues but the demands of the potential buyer that she was having the vet do to my horses were going to damage/injure my 2 year old (inappropriate types of lunging to check for x,y,z). I, fortunately, do not ever remember having a horse injured as a result of a trial ride. I think I would have gone beyond postal - on the trainer. The worst thing I've had a trainer do was lease out a horse I owned that I had in training with her to another person without my permission. That got the trainer sued (I won) and due to her dubious nature with multiple clients including writing bad checks, jail time. That was decades ago (I was in college at the time which is the only reason I had the horse in training - I was competing in hunter/jumper at the time) but it also taught me to never, ever turn over a horse to a trainer without direct oversight. The only other 'lesson learned' was leasing my daughter's horse to a mom and daughter pair only to have the ex-husband confiscate the horse and take off with the horse and girlfriend. When I tracked down the horse he had a BCS of 2/9. I was able to provide proof of ownership and got back the horse. Once he was healthy again, the next person I leased him to was an employee who kept him next door where I could always keep a direct eye on him. I just hope I never ever find myself in a position where I have to sell or rehome a horse again = probably an unrealistic hope but mishaps like yours just makes me wish harder. Hoping A heals quickly and has no permanent mental scars.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:22 pm

Yeah, the mom and daughter take dressage lessons with my regular instructor, and the mom had taken my Appy mare, Maya on a short trial several years ago, which all went fine, so I had a level of trust there. The mom also teaches pony clubbers, so it wasn't like I was just turning her over to a couple of yahoos. The jump was only about 2'3". I would have said something if they were trying to raise the jumps or something. Just got back from checking on A this morning. She was bright-eyed and happy to see her breakfast. It looked like she'd enjoyed the extra bags of shavings I put down for her last night. I'm scheduling a massage and Bemer session for her in the next couple days; it's the least I can do as I'm sure she'll be body sore aside from the knees.

And yeah, I've been saying I really hope this is the last time I ever have to sell a horse, but it's turning out even worse than I'd expected.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:25 pm

oh, SF, I'm so sorry, what an absolute mess. I'm glad to hear that A seemed ok this morning despite everything.

Sounds like the trust factor with mom and daughter is maybe still valid, since it does seem like the issue was the trainer and both Annabelle and the daughter were simply trying to do what the trainer wanted even when it ended up being the wrong thing. Sending you hugs and healing wishes to sweet Annabelle.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:04 pm

Oh no. Poor sweet A. What shitty luck. And what an awful, horrible thing to have happened. She’s going to be a sore girl for a while.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:31 pm

Oh. SF. So sorry. I had that happen once on the one horse I sold. He was a saint and loved to jump, and the trainer kept pushing the rider to turn into jumps unprepared. The saint just jumped them. I would have never let him go to that situation. I'm sure she'll heal up just fine.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:36 pm

Oh my SF. Jingling that Annabelle heals quickly. I had a horse that went down to his knees on pavement (just at a walk) :shock: . His knees looked like hamburger but they healed up well. I didn’t even call the vet. Just flushed the abrasions well and kept them clean.

I have been following along when I can. My riding sessions are very few and far between due to elder care. Not working on anything in particular. I get her warmed up and we do a bit of trot and a bit of canter then do the loop up the hill on the property and call it good. Oh, I am working on Spanish walk undersaddle. I have been working it in-hand for about 3 years (not terribly consistently) and decided we need to transfer to under saddle. She is really trying. I don’t do more than 3-4 steps on each side as she is not very fit but basically asking for some try…and getting it :D .

Mom (93) ended up in the hospital for 9 days with blocked bile duct. She is home but it will be a long road for her to regain her strength…if she can. I thought it was a really weird presentation of COVID (which I gave her after my trip to Iceland) but finally realized there was something else going on. My sister usually helps but she is crippled at the moment so I am kind of on my own. I may have to hire a sitter 2-3x / week so I can get to the barn and go shopping. Her progress is pretty slow but thus far there is progress.

The barn I board at has been sold and I think they close this Friday so that will be an interesting transition too. I want to get up there a bit more often during the transition…I may have to put Mom in the car and take her with me for a short check-in. I hope I don’t have to add in barn shopping to the load I already have.

Susan

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:35 am

I've been following and thought I should contribute!
Blob, sorry about RP. Good that you've found the likely issue though, guess it's just figuring out if it can be managed?
Good to see you back LIpsmacker, hope your husband is doing ok too.
Cool to see pics of Potters, Moutaineer and it's been good to read people's showing experiences. Chisamba, its great that you're getting back into it too. It's so hard to get it all right.
SF, urghh thats no good with Annabelle's fall. Hope her knees heal up fine.
I hope everyone else is doing ok too.

I took the big horse to a working eq comp that's held in the big indoor arena. It is a spooky arena, with cafe down one end etc. Norsey is such a good boy, he was scared, couldn't stand still but he just tries to be the goodest horse. I'm fortunate that he has that nature otherwise I think I would be falling off a lot.
Here's a vid of our speed round. I am holding onto him too tightly, I was unsure of our brakes and I really should trust him more. He did a great job.

https://youtu.be/XSqWGDXWtRs

My instructor moved back to Europe, but I managed to have a live PIVO lesson with her yesterday. I've forgotten how much attention to detail she has, even doing it via video. It also highlighted just how much I practice the wrong things, and give up a bit too soon on the stuff that's hard.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:56 am

Quick update, life has been nuts. Dealing with health, work, travel... and first and foremost, horse.

We have met a lot of our goals set earlier this year, did our first recognized show last weekend, spent the night and competed for 2 days. FL T2 and FL T3. I had a very challenging schooling a few weeks ago but the horse I have in my lessons came out this past weekend and we had a wonderful time. We scored a 71.2 on our F2 ride and 65.9 and 67.7 on our F3 rides. I only realized Monday evening that I am okay riding into a show ring and totally focused on my horse.

We've been training second level and even tried Second T1 at a schooling show and came out with a whopping 58.8, that was the challenging show. Thank goodness for schooling shows.

We did a couple of 2 week stints at my trainers and have been working hard. I just love this horse!! I'll come back to read everyone's updates but off to work and trailering to my lesson today.

I hope all is well with everyone!
Attachments
DSC07165.JPG
DSC07165.JPG (183.02 KiB) Viewed 20102 times
Trot F3.JPG
Trot F3.JPG (164 KiB) Viewed 20102 times
DSC07067b.JPG
DSC07067b.JPG (129.35 KiB) Viewed 20102 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:33 am

Great pics Chantal and congratulations on not only the accomplishments but the awesome scores.

Flight, loved the video clip. Looking at going to a working equitation clinic next month.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:22 am

I always love seeing Mikey pics!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:33 pm

Mikey is a handsome dude! You look good together.

I hope Annabelle is healing up, SF.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:44 pm

Good to hear from you Chantal and Mikey looks great.

SF how is dear Annabelle?

I am both incredulous and sad that we are wrapping up June. The Northeast summer is painfully short, but we are making the most of it.

Kora: Flying change prep (straightness, shoulder mobility and access everywhere) Yup, this is every ride and improving. End of next session will be flying changes proper delve.
2 schooling shows already scheduled for May, one this coming weekend to bop around 2nd 1 Success! Both schooling shows were solid efforts with different minor mistakes but well on track for ring rideability.
1 rated show in June Rained out but was able to pivot to another schooling show the following day and rode our first clean round!
Lessons!! As much as feasible w/schedules Started off strong but trainer has been busy with competitions and clinic travel. We are hooking back up this weekend.

Me: Keep on weight loss challenge. Incorporate biking? Done 10lbs, would like another 10. Slow progress is still progress.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:05 pm

StraightForward. awful about Annabelle . For the record I never turn a horse over to trainer and rider. I helicopter for good reason.

Exvet. And Moutaineer, may canter become your best gait. From PS,G On its the most important

Flight. So glad you updated. I miss you when you do not post

Kmom. So sorry to hear about the stress work your mothers health. Jingles.

Tanga. How is your business promotion progressing?

So, I made a mistake and wish to redress it and opinions please. I was so happy with Saiphs progress I brought her out at fourth level. Her first show ever. She scores sixties on better classes and a high fifty when she is super tense, but my trainer says it's my fault
I ships have come out at first, second, third and gradually upped the difficulty as her brain relaxed. So when I mentioned going back down the level and starting over some people were horrified at how unfair it would be to ride lower levels on a trained horse. But I'm pro. I'm not depriving some sweet amateur of her potential win. So I do not see it anything wrong with it.

However if appreciate opinions. I feel.like maybe I stressed her by skipping the easier stuff.

Thx in advance

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:47 pm

Chisamba wrote:StraightForward. awful about Annabelle . For the record I never turn a horse over to trainer and rider. I helicopter for good reason.

I was in the arena, but I'm definitely not an instructor, especially not for kids I've never seen ride before, plus I'm not really a jumper, so I'm even less able to instruct someone on jumping. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and I should have required them to schedule a lesson with the BO, who I'm certain would have kept everyone safe.

Her knees were looking a bit better when I changed the wraps yesterday, but I forgot to take pics. The person at the barn who tapes T is out of town for a few days and generously loaned me her Bemer, so hopefully a few consecutive days of treatments will get her body feeling better.
Keep calm and canter on.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:12 pm

Pardon as I felt I over responded....

SF - I am sorry to hear about Annabelle's injury and dealings with the instructor. My interpretation is A is still a greenie jumping and pushing her for speed over fences like a 'jumper' was not fair even if accidents can happen anytime. Enough said. Wishes to A to feel better and for a speedy recovery.

Chisamba - I know you always do what is best for your horses so I would never question your judgement in training decisions. Seriously - I would TOTALLY ignore the peanut gallery / rail talk and carry on with your training / show agenda. If you feel a step back will help Saiph - then by all means do it. You clearly care for your horse - not about the ribbons. I would not concern myself about the other riders and their opinions or feel any guilt over it.

(Background - many years ago, I got a lot of hurtful crap from people on the side lines - no tolerance for it now.)
Last edited by Josette on Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:07 pm

Thank you so much Aleuronx, Moutaineer, SF and exvet :D

SF-I'm so sorry to hear about A. She will heal and you are a good owner. We can't control everything.

exvet, your boys are looking good. You are constantly improving and working on them. Sorry to hear about the recognized show. Upward and onward.

Moutaineer-Potters is eye candy! We are working on our canter too and having so much fun with it. I'm thinking you are a different level than we are but still, working on the collection and jump. Mikey's canter is a dream after all these years. Now building more strength and working on getting those legs really under him.

Aleuronx-Kora looks amazing, maturing really does something for these animals. I love it!!

Chisamba-I think easing off for the good of your horse is a good thing. And I think most people aren't brave enough to do it.

Hi to everyone, I did peruse the board. I see lots of good work going on and lots of stuff going on. Jingles to all who are dealing with human and horse hurts.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:25 pm

Chisamba, in my world you do what the horse needs to do in order to be comfortable and happy. I see that as being an overriding concern of yours too. The horse will thank you for it.

And to be perfectly honest I think the vast majority of actual competitors have their heads so deeply in their own concerns at a show they aren't noticing what other people are doing and at what level. And if there are railbirds, they aren't the ones out there doing it, so their opinion is of no concern to me.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:40 pm

Chisamba--100% do what you feel is right and who cares what anyone says. I ended up doing that with Quilla. For some reason I thought she was older than she was a few years back and started GP at 11. She actually did OK and got better scores than we did now, but was stressed about the ones. When I figured out she was 11, not 12, I brought her back down to give her more time to get stronger. Of course, since then there seems be a big shift in lowering scores, so we're doing worse score wise, even though she is much better. Do whatever YOU think is right. No really cares. Mountaineer is 100% right.

I have not done anything with promoting the business. Just still thinking it through. I need to talk to the BO, but I think she'll be fine. It really will be mostly like having another leasor or two. I just need to make sure I'm set on insurance and what I am comfortable with, so ALL of this time is good for me to feel comfortable. I'm sort of down to thinking it really will be only one or two people at a time, but you never know. The person I used to compete GP against all of the time sold her horse because she has a new young one, and I saw her at a Janet Foy clinic. The woman who bought her couldn't even comfortably post the trot. I guess the trainer talked her into it. I can't imagine putting that much money into a horse you can't ride (don't know how much she sold for, but guessing over $100 k? She gave Sabine Schutt Kerry one of her the mare's eggs, so . . . ) but I guess there are a lot of people out there who have the ability to pay for that. I might have to up what I think are insane price expectations. This is down the street from us--basically a low level school horse. Quilla can do all of that jumping, too! https://www.bayequest.com/listing/schoo ... arn-lease/

It has gone from way cooler than normal here (not seeing the sun until noon most days) to pretty hot for a few days, and then back to cool on Monday. So of course I have a show Sunday. Eh. We'll be fine as long as I drink my electrolyte powder. I'm not worried about the horses. The ride times are early enough it shouldn't be too bad, I'm pretty much riding a test and then a freestyle almost back to back both times, so it makes it easy on us, and I'm back to my happy place of riding freestyles, and who cares. I spent a lot of time retweeking both freestyles, the GP esp. to maximize what they both do best and points, so hopefully there is a difference. And I have been bribing both of them with treats nonstop, asking them to work and giving a little verbal cue which they know means a treat, so hopefully if either get tense, I can cue them to refocus on a treat, and Quilla won't get all in her head and decide to stop in the p/p. Now with all three, mom included, I can just stand there in the halter and cue them to piaffe, and they all will, knowing there is a treat at the end. Ah. bribery!

SF, I'm glad Anabelle is doing better. She'll be OK!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:15 pm

Chisamba…tell the peanut gallery where to go…I deal with tension a lot with my horse. You have got to get them to a place of relaxation to get quality work. If that means backing up the level..so be it. Do what you need to do for the horse ;) .

SF, glad Miss A is looking better.

Chantal…Mikey looks great. What bridle are you using?

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:54 am

Thanks all - T enjoying the Bemer last night too, and maybe it was a coincidence, but had a fab ride on her today. Did a RideiQ lesson with circles in SF. Now left lead is her worse lead, but I think the canter is getting much less lateral.

A was able to do some hand walking and not start tugging at her knee wraps, so yay. I think we might start tack walking next week. I have the say I jumped T on Friday night and cantering that line where the wreck happened is quite tricky; T is more collectible and we still broke down to a trot to stay balanced as it's a short approach on a downhill turn.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:21 am

Well, I have to say I'm pretty happy with my progress in the last couple of months. I'm riding independently, feel much more confident and I'm having fun. I've sorted out some medical stuff which has helped my energy levels and physical fitness quite significantly.

I've spent much more time in the saddle, and I made it to a clinic and to a show, and learned a lot from both.

And Potters is healthy and happy, so life is good!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:12 am

Kyras_Mom wrote:Chisamba…tell the peanut gallery where to go…I deal with tension a lot with my horse. You have got to get them to a place of relaxation to get quality work. If that means backing up the level..so be it. Do what you need to do for the horse ;) .

SF, glad Miss A is looking better.

Chantal…Mikey looks great. What bridle are you using?

Susan

Agree with going backwards to get back to relaxation, we did that with Mikey before the last show. No 2nd/3rd level work, only 1st and he showed how happy he was at the show. Now we are back to harder work and he is happy. For now

And thank you Susan! It's a PS of Sweden Pioneer. He loves it. Their nosebands run big so he's in a full size with a cob noseband

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:37 pm

Thanks Chantal. I have a PS of Sweden (can’t remember which one) but it isn’t that one. Kyra is a bit of a hard fit. Some of her dimensions are cob and some are horse. Then like everything else where there is no standard, the brands vary so much. That bridle lays nice and flat…it fits him very nicely.

I have mostly been riding Kyra in the LTJ roller bit. It is a much more enjoyable ride for both of us. I rode in the Myler mullen mouth last time and although she wasn’t horribly resistant, the ride just had so much more negative tension and heaviness. Today’s ride was so pleasant. She was super responsive and light. I am getting so little ride time currently that we aren’t really working on anything specific. I am just trying to get her some exercise but in a manner that she is using the right muscles. In light of how she is working in the LTJ bit and that over time that she seems to more and more protest any kind of snaffle, I think I will keep working her in the LTJ. I ride it one handed…she has actually learned neck reining fairly well and I work really hard to ask and get her to maintain proper bend. It actually makes our rides quite pleasurable and with all the elder care issues, that is all I want when I can get to the barn. I am just not into heavy duty training at the moment.

Susan

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:29 pm

Kyras_Mom wrote:Thanks Chantal. I have a PS of Sweden (can’t remember which one) but it isn’t that one. Kyra is a bit of a hard fit. Some of her dimensions are cob and some are horse. Then like everything else where there is no standard, the brands vary so much. That bridle lays nice and flat…it fits him very nicely.

I have mostly been riding Kyra in the LTJ roller bit. It is a much more enjoyable ride for both of us. I rode in the Myler mullen mouth last time and although she wasn’t horribly resistant, the ride just had so much more negative tension and heaviness. Today’s ride was so pleasant. She was super responsive and light. I am getting so little ride time currently that we aren’t really working on anything specific. I am just trying to get her some exercise but in a manner that she is using the right muscles. In light of how she is working in the LTJ bit and that over time that she seems to more and more protest any kind of snaffle, I think I will keep working her in the LTJ. I ride it one handed…she has actually learned neck reining fairly well and I work really hard to ask and get her to maintain proper bend. It actually makes our rides quite pleasurable and with all the elder care issues, that is all I want when I can get to the barn. I am just not into heavy duty training at the moment.

Susan

You're welcome. I really like this bridle on him, more importantly, he's happy in it.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:45 am

Whoop Whoop. Feeling better. It was easily over 100 today at the show, but I ignored it, kept hosing me and the horses off, drank about two gallons of electrolytes, and took it easy. Quinn was really good and got a 66% at I-1 and a 71% on the I-1 freestyle! I feel like I've had this same I-1, PSG ride on her in most of my rides the last year and randomly have gotten 54 to 67%.

I rode Quilla at noon when it was really hot, so of course she was all wired and raring to bounce and cause trouble, but I did my verbal signal for a treat, and that did the trick. Not perfect, but no stops! We got a 62% at I-2 and 61% on the GP freestyle. I got off my music because the arena I was making it in is too small--I need to fix some things-- so we messed up some things and the judge wasn't sure about my walks (and asked me about it) so I need to rework it and make it VERY clear. I'm pretty happy.

I'll post some videos when I download them. Unfortunately, I didn't get one of the 71% ride!
Last edited by Tanga on Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:08 am

Yeah Tanga! I am super impressed because
1) you rode 4 tests in a short time frame
2) you rode 2 horses that both needed warmups
3) you do this solo
4) THE HEAT!!! I hid inside today with the A/C. Yesterday, I almost fainted during my lesson. I couldn't even drink from my water bottle until I got my heart rate to go down. We are just not used to it.
GO GIRL!!!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:34 am

Thank you, goldhorse! I am impressed, too! I didn't get heat exhaustion or stroke. Still getting some hand and leg cramps, but still drinking nonstop until I recover.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:48 am

Congratulations Tanga! It's long deserved. So, glad you persevered and hoping for a quick recovery from the heat.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:06 am

Way to go Tanga! I can see how developing a freestyle in a non-standard arena would add difficulty, but I'm sure you'll get it dialed in.

I have tomorrow off, so I'm taking T out to school where we might be showing in August. They don't usually allow haul-ins, but I bartered with the BO since she's buying a bit from me. After that we're swinging by the saddler's and she'll hopefully be buying my Patrick and we'll see if she has any jumping saddles that might work for us. I've got some possibilities bookmarked as well. I was conveniently able to sell my Albion GP to someone at my barn, so I'm hoping to find something else soon.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:18 am

Return to “Dressage Training”