Of fly spray and soaked saddle pads: July and August goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Of fly spray and soaked saddle pads: July and August goals and progress

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:14 pm

Here we are on the 4th of July without a new thread yet!

Annabelle - get those poor knees healed up, and probably get back under saddle at the end of July, see where we are with everything in August.

Tesla - Try to get her off property weekly. That is probably a stretch goal, but really what she needs. I was able to haul her out yesterday to the barn where we might show in August, and she was really stuck behind my leg and took SO MUCH work to get cantering. Ugh. Back at home this morning she was fine. At the end of July I'll ride a couple tests at the horse trials/schooling show, and then maybe sign up for opportunity classes at the recognized show the following weekend.

Keep improving the canter. This morning I got her more long and low in the canter, and with more honest bend through her body. I could feel her hind legs working more effectively, and I think the penny is starting to drop.

Consistency in the contact - during parts of the ride she offers really nice contact, and then gets kind of "chattery" not just in the mouth, but she's sort of not through in her body and it's impossible to find a place to sit. I have a couple lessons scheduled this weekend, so I'm sure we'll make some progress with this. I'm also going to try putting her back in her Novocontact bit and see if her opinion of it has changed in the last six months.

Jump once a week. I sold my AP saddle to someone at the barn, and just plunked down my credit card for a used Black Country QuantumX forward flap, so hopefully that will arrive next week and be the Cinderella slipper for my long femurs and Tesla's wide body. I got a forward flap saddle to try from my fitter and my knee was still creeping off the front of the flap when I pulled my knee up into jumping position.

Finally finish DRT3. I'd gotten halfway through and then decided to restart from week 1, and am now back up to week 7.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Re: Of fly spray and soaked saddle pads: July and August goals and progress

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:45 pm

Thanks for starting another thread, and boy oh boy do I feel your contact consistency goals.

June was misery: 20+ consecutive days of triple-digit temperatures, 60-80% humidity, no rain and no reprieve. The horses are on night turnout, but even staying indoors under fans can only do so much. So goals fell from "get better!" to "just survive-- and try not to backslide too much."

But, thanks to an online show, I've discovered a hole in my contact that I've been riding around-- effectively, letting him stay very straight through the body and not truly bent. And I decided, foolishly, that it's time to address that. So now nothing is feeling good but at least we're getting to the root of things... I hope.

Goals this time around:
- Maintain: diet & exercise; try to at least not gain weight when trapped indoors
- Online show: aiming for 65+% at 3rd
- Address this connection issue by 1) lessons, 2) actually addressing it every working ride (vs trailrides, which we need for our sanity and to just survive the heat)

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:53 pm

This will be a quiet 2 months for me as it's the middle of winter here. Normally that's ok, but it's been quite wet. We tend to be dry here but we've been getting that mizzly misty rain stuff where you end up soaked through by the end of a ride.
I've also got a bit going on with work, filling in a few other roles.
Then I'm coming to America! Riding holiday! Looking forward to that at the end of August. Never been to the US before.

I watched a clinic recently, and ended up having a lesson. The instructor has the legerete/french classical background. I was a bit concerned that I would be riding around with my hands up high, but it wasn't like that. I was really impressed with the shapes of the students horses, that had been riding with her for a number of years. They had beautiful toplines and necks. No dip in front of withers etc.
I was riding my little black horse, she said he's not strong enough behind and thats why he's climbing and struggling in piris and gave me some exercises to work on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:20 am

I'm looking forward to the next two months. I feel like I've finally got my Mojo back. Potters is being a joy to ride and I'm having fun.

Of course I do have that feeling of impending "waiting for the other shoe to drop" doom one gets as a horse owner when things are going well.

I have a show in 3 weeks time where I will ride 3.1. Twice. Its recognized, but local, which is nice. We all get to sleep in our own beds.. Its actually 2 shows over 2 days, so if the stars and my brain align, I could maybe get my final scores for my bronze.

So I'm diligently working away at the pieces and parts of that as well as working of forward with collection. I'm really pleased with how the canter work is coming along and now I can get him more connected, the changes are becoming much more obediently when I ask and not a stride later. They are always clean but have been a bit randomly placed in the past!

I've been working some in the indoor with the mirrors so I can watch my lateral work and make sure I'm working both sides of his body. This has been really helpful with improving the shoulder in and the half passes.

Next up is some more work on the extended gaits, now that the landscapers have almost finished rustling around in the bushes around the big arena--that can make them a bit hairier than I altogether enjoy :)

We are planning to maybe go to Estes Park for a show in mid August. Depends on what the rest of the barn group wants to do. If not I may do a somewhat more local one in the same time frame, or I may just decide its too hot and stay home!

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:52 am

Nothing major or new on our path. We'll be working on contact and being supple and through with both boys. Getting ready for regionals, hoping to find the magic key to tension, realizing it's likely me (as in I'm the cause). I have two schooling shows before the regionals, both with rated judges. I'm planning to make the most of each opportunity.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:00 pm

Flight you may not be having fly spray but sounds like soaked saddle pads for other reason. We've had similar cold mizzly rain and periodic downpours the last month or so. Hay harvest is looking grim for first cut.

I am excited to put parameters around the next two months. That sounded as nerdy in my head as it was to type. :lol: The thing I'm most hopeful for is a successful re-presentation at the Keuring for Kora to get the Ster designation. She looks so much different than a gangly 3 year old that I think she will score better. As much as I want it for her it's really about the dam and her breeder that I'd love it for. I will be requesting all the jingles and crossed everything the end of Aug.

Section Goals:
2 clean tests at recognized shows for July
Increased flexibility and submission in positioning at canter leading to...
Flying Change Hell starting in August
Ster designation at the Keuring

Me: Start tackling those last 10 pounds

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:05 pm

June was a doozy--MM had a colic scare and a bad respiratory flare when the canadian smoke and texas heat all came to GA at the same time. And RP has been in rehab/uncertainty mode. And my trainer's new barn situation/location has made it obvious that i will need to find a new trainer. So, hoping I can make realistic goals that are also achievable and get us back on track.

Me:
Husband and I are going to try to commit to cooking 4 days a week in July, let's see if we can do it
Start using walking desk gain
Get my butt up early to ride before work
Find/work with new trainer

MM:
Get her jumping more
start playing with more advanced canter work again

RP:
Continue rehab: hills, poles, lunging, long and low
Get a chiro + shockwave session scheduled

In more fun news, a local eventing trainer who also works at the barn I board at has asked if I have any interest in showing one of her sale horses while RP is out of show form. She'd love for him to get some straight dressage scores and thinks we will get along well. He is ALSO a sensitive red roan, ha.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:10 am

We are in the dog days of summer right now. After a long cool spring summer hit with high humidity and heat. Extremely difficult to get much done when it’s difficult to move and breathe. Does not help I caught a cold that hit me hard ( not Covid I tested 3 times) but having not been sick at all for over 3 years karma caught up to me. I did not pass it on to my mother thankfully though DH did catch it:(

So with the weather so difficult humidity and RAIN! Not sure how much I’ll get done especially in July. DH and I also go on vacation for a week which we are both looking forward to. August is usually even worse weather but will wait and see. I’m trying to do light stuff either lunging work in hand or riding when it’s not sweltering. Just not advancing very much.

Next Cedar clinic is end of September so have some time before then.

One big news is it looks like as long as the ppe does not turn up anything drastic Chex has a new home with a friend and Cedar rider. So still get to see the cutie or as she calls him fancy man. My boarder just never warmed up to him. Ah well.

Other news is hay looks to be very difficult this year. So much rain hard to get it cut and dried. We’ve cut one field but mostly round baled it. The other is too wet and it won’t quit raining. Hopefully will get 2 more cuttings. At least need to fill my barn for my horses.

Stay cool all and happy riding

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:39 am

Flight wrote:This will be a quiet 2 months for me as it's the middle of winter here. Normally that's ok, but it's been quite wet. We tend to be dry here but we've been getting that mizzly misty rain stuff where you end up soaked through by the end of a ride.
I've also got a bit going on with work, filling in a few other roles.
Then I'm coming to America! Riding holiday! Looking forward to that at the end of August. Never been to the US before.

I watched a clinic recently, and ended up having a lesson. The instructor has the legerete/french classical background. I was a bit concerned that I would be riding around with my hands up high, but it wasn't like that. I was really impressed with the shapes of the students horses, that had been riding with her for a number of years. They had beautiful toplines and necks. No dip in front of withers etc.
I was riding my little black horse, she said he's not strong enough behind and thats why he's climbing and struggling in piris and gave me some exercises to work on.

If you are coming anywhere near my party of the huge US of A please contact me. If live to meet you.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:42 am

Moutaineer wrote:I'm looking forward to the next two months. I feel like I've finally got my Mojo back. Potters is being a joy to ride and I'm having fun.

Of course I do have that feeling of impending "waiting for the other shoe to drop" doom one gets as a horse owner when things are going well.

I have a show in 3 weeks time where I will ride 3.1. Twice. Its recognized, but local, which is nice. We all get to sleep in our own beds.. Its actually 2 shows over 2 days, so if the stars and my brain align, I could maybe get my final scores for my bronze.

So I'm diligently working away at the pieces and parts of that as well as working of forward with collection. I'm really pleased with how the canter work is coming along and now I can get him more connected, the changes are becoming much more obediently when I ask and not a stride later. They are always clean but have been a bit randomly placed in the past!

I've been working some in the indoor with the mirrors so I can watch my lateral work and make sure I'm working both sides of his body. This has been really helpful with improving the shoulder in and the half passes.

Next up is some more work on the extended gaits, now that the landscapers have almost finished rustling around in the bushes around the big arena--that can make them a bit hairier than I altogether enjoy :)

We are planning to maybe go to Estes Park for a show in mid August. Depends on what the rest of the barn group wants to do. If not I may do a somewhat more local one in the same time frame, or I may just decide its too hot and stay home!

I used to live the Estes Park shows when I was in Colorado. Are you talking about the same Estes Park? can be windy.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:54 am

My goals.

Kimba, start under saddle walk rehab. I'm working on light flexible contact since we are just straight line walking.

Saiph. Bring down a couple of levels and develop show quality at shows.

Flei. Well, wait him out when he starts bucking and them go on as if nothing happened.

Honey. Progressing really well,quote super really. Find a feed she actually likes and get some weight on her.

I have a "take the horses with and go camping trip. " planned. A group of us are going. I'm quite excited. Been putting my camping gear together. This is for August and is in the lake Luzerne area on New York State.
Attachments
63544.jpeg
63544.jpeg (241.65 KiB) Viewed 173829 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:59 am

Chisamba wrote:I used to live the Estes Park shows when I was in Colorado. Are you talking about the same Estes Park? can be windy.

Yes, same Estes Park. The weather is notoriously awful for this show which is one of the things that gives me pause. That and the long trailer ride, the lousy stabling, the fairly rubbish footing, and the difficulty of finding a decent place to stay. And yet, they manage to put on fun shows that people want to go to... Go figure.

I rode badly today. Potters was saintly under the circumstances. Oh well. Every day can't be rainbows and kittens.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:55 pm

Horse camping, how fun!

Tesla was really soft in the NovoContact this morning; not really going to the contact, but also not getting into that stiff/stuck place. Maybe we'll alternate between this and the Fager. She had one little sticky episode where I got her cantering, and then about halfway around she was like "hey, I didn't agree to this!" Yes, well that's why I wore spurs :twisted: After that we had some nice work, and some steps of really soft, over the back 3-beat canter. I can see her brain working trying to coordinate the hind legs, but she is getting it, as long as I only push the envelope that certain amount. Tomorrow and Sunday I'll be getting up at 4:30 for 6 am lessons; worth it to beat the heat I suppose.

For anyone who is curious, link to how Annabelle's knees were looking yesterday. https://flic.kr/p/2oMUKoN. I'm optimistic for the left knee, not sure how scarred the right one will be, but the Manuka honey seems to be doing its job as it all looks like healthy clean tissue. When I was visiting the saddler on Monday, she lobbed an ArcEquine unit (microcurrent device) at me, and I started using that yesterday. Kind of a PITA since she is supposed to wear it three hours a day for six weeks, but it seems to be in the "can't hurt, might help" category. I also got a tube of Zarasyl ointment from a fellow boarder. She used it on her mare when she fell, slid and severely skinned her forearm. I haven't looked at how that healed, but apparently it looks much better than anyone was expecting. That will be more for when the wounds close up. Other than being sad about not getting turned out, she seems to be doing well and not showing any signs of lameness. We've been walking down the canal bank and around the pastures the last couple days and she hasn't gotten too wild yet.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:50 pm

Ouch! Poor Annabelle. Glad she’s sound. So sorry she had to go through that. Funny how I used to love to jump now it just worries me to no end. And Joplin is rather good at it. Not sure I want to school her or have anyone else school her over fences though.

I did ride this morning. Man was it humid but bless Joplin she has no stop to her! At one point I was schooling some mediums and added a couple of taps with the whip. Wee! She just adds in more power. Such a pleasure after Rip’s power meant might get explosion.

Need to start working more on canter walk transitions. Any advice?? Walk canter is good. Some helpful exercises would be nice.

Stay cool all! And good luck at the shows!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:31 pm

Working on 2nd/3rd level work minus tension. If we have tension, we go back to lower level stuff. A little tension is okay to work through, new stuff is hard. But the tongue out, not cool. Richard Malmgren has a theory on that though as he did it on the longline too. Just the last little fight before doing the harder work. Because hard work, and he is smart and I've let him get away with not doing it.

Schooling show this weekend - trying Second Test 1 again, hoping less tension this time. Recognized show first weekend in August to hopefully get another qualifying at First Test3 for GAIGs in Oct.

Work on my position. I realized I was leaning too far forward. Can anyone guess what I'm doing now? :lol: Gah, it's never right in the middle with me, I gotta go to extremes. For example, I post a lot or not at all. That's also one one of my goals, to post just enough and not disappear. It's hard with travel to see my daughter. That exhausts me.

Hmmmm, reminds me of my new nickname for my horse, Little Bear. Can't be too much rein or too little rein, has to be just right. Can't be too tight or too loose, has to be just right. Saddle has to be just right. Noseband has to be just right... and so on. Little Bear it is.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:03 pm

SF - Annabelle's knee pics look scary but great news that she is comfortable walking around with you. Time and care will mend those knees. Thanks for posting the name of the Zarasyl ointment as I am dealing again with summer time scabby leg sores (too much rain). I found the Zarasyl on AMAZON and there are several BEFORE and AFTER wound pics. The post healing pics look wonderful! I'm going to order this ointment to try on my guy. Sending more jingles for healing Annabelle's knees.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:17 am

Chisamba wrote: If you are coming anywhere near my party of the huge US of A please contact me. If live to meet you.

I think I'll be on the opposite side of the country if you're in New Jersey! It's only a 2 week visit, it's hard to be away from home for too long with the horses and dogs. It's a looooong trip from Aus, which makes it feel like 2 weeks isn't worthwhile, but hey I can only do what I can do. I'm looking forward to a trip away again though. Just starting to think of what clothes I need to take and how warm/cold it might be.

Have a great time camping! I haven't done a trip to the mountains in quite a few years now, but it was great.

Poor Annabelle's knees. That was deeper than I expected. Looks to be healing well, which must be a relief.

Khall, practice that collected canter to get good canter - walk trans. I find people dont realise they need a canter that's a short as a walk to make a nice trans down.
Chantal goodluck at your schooling show this weekend with your Little Bear :D

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:22 am

You are bound to be near one of us, Flight!

Ouchie, Annabelle! I'm glad she's sound though.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:45 pm

You know its hot when you take your boots off after a ride and your shins are sweating...

I warmed up and ran through the 3.1 test this morning.

I'm pretty happy with the canter work but I seem to have completely lost the ability to ride a trot half pass in either direction. I think I'm trying too hard.

Oh well, trainer returns from Vacation on Monday. I'm sure she will sort us out. We have 2 weeks.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:39 am

I have a schooling show in one month so I worked Junior through parts of Fourth 1. I'm not sure we're going to convince anyone we're able to perform at that level but I didn't think it was too bad. It was actually easier to keep him supple and forward doing the three changes across the diagonal than going for a single change. I also found the half-pass canter to counter canter to flying change not to be too daunting either. Of course it could have all been beginner's luck. Brandon was a complete fuss budget due to the winds picking up and all sorts of activity going on around the neighborhood so trail riding is all we did. No point in working each other into a frazzle when it's clear from the beginning that we're seeking every ghost around each rock, each corner, etc.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:57 am

SF--OMG! That's horrible! Is she on antibiotics? Any scratch I've ever had on a joint that could possibly get into it, I've had to give antibiotics just to be paranoid.

Is everyone just having weird everything? Man. So weird here. Lots of bizarre things happening at the barn. And I was there until almost midnight last night because my older mare got choke which didn't resolve on it's own. Two vets spent over an hour tubing her to get into the stuff blocking her esophagus right in front of her stomach. It was all well chewed, so why it all blocked up is just bizarre. Our weather went from over 100 on the weekend to cold and 60's during the day, so who knows. She is great, though. As soon as they got it out, she peed and started looking for food. She's great today, but on banamine, sucralfate, and antibiotics because the tubing left her poor esophagus pretty raw and we saw some blood.

Flight, if you're in the SF bay area and want to come for a ride, you can play on a GP horse and I can experiment on you.

Progress: I went to a show and got the scores I felt, good and not so good. And I did my freestyles, which makes me happy (and an all time high score for one.) I think I've finally really made some progress in Quinn's stiffness and tightness with focusing on the brachecepahulus massage and stretching, and doing a hyoid release by just holding onto the jaw. It seems all of her tightness issues are originating here as it's making a much bigger difference than working along her back (though I always do everything.)

Goals: One more show in August (hopefully they have the vesticular stomatitis sorted by then) and I'm just going to do the close one both days with Osinski--I pretty much trust and believe scores from him, and he judges all over the world. I am going to redo the GP freestyle completely with the softer music. Why not, eh?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:00 pm

Tanga wrote:SF--OMG! That's horrible! Is she on antibiotics? Any scratch I've ever had on a joint that could possibly get into it, I've had to give antibiotics just to be paranoid.

Yes, two weeks of antibiotics. The vet did say joint infection was the biggest risk. The wounds have healed a ton in the last 48 hours. I was pretty amazed when I changed the wraps yesterday. I do wonder if the ArcEquine is in fact speeding healing since she's had three days with that. No way to know, but I'll keep using it. I can really tell the Tranquility supplement has kicked in, so I can walk her all over without explodey behavior. Someone who does a lot of the barn management said yesterday that she's been taking lots of naps.

Lesson on T yesterday was a mixed bag. She started off really stuck, even on the lunge, and I knew it was going to be one of those days. She actually warmed up US in a nice loose trot, but I told Danielle I wanted her there with the lunge whip the first time I asked for canter. With the assist, she still ground down to a stop, but then realized her predicaments, so I was able to keep things more organized and get her cantering rather than having to cowboy through the first one. Towards the end we did some ToH to canter transitions, and with the ground whip assist, she really stepped under and rounded up. So there IS a good canter in there, and we are figuring out how to access it. We're also trying to incorporate HP a little more, which I think will help her loosen up behind the saddle and learn to balance on her hind legs a little more.

Today my new/used jumping saddle should be delivered. Pretty confident that it will work for both of us, but fingers are crossed!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:32 pm

20230708_132224.jpg
Friday at the barn... The Magnificent Six :)
20230708_132224.jpg (175.87 KiB) Viewed 173649 times

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:38 pm

Fingers crossed for Annabelle’s poor knees! Mom’s old gelding had an eerily similar-looking knee injury many years ago, daily antibiotics, plus cleaning, and lots of wraps. He recovered perfectly — no scarring.

Maia is going through her own health thing right now. I’ve got the vet coming out Monday, finally. It started out with what presented as sunburn on her muzzle. Then she started coughing, huge sores all over her face, swollen face, and swollen eye. Between the holiday, and other emergencies delaying the vet, I’ve thrown everything at her. The winning combo has been a human prescription fungal shampoo + chlorhexidine, biozide gel, and zyrtec plus the eye routine of clear eyes and terramycin. Much to her horsie delight, she’s in during the day until it clears up and the vet weighs in. I think she’s probably allergic to something out in the pasture since this all came up when she was out 24/7 in the crazy heat. I’m most concerned about the (less) irritated eye and the coughing. We’ve already had one bout with pneumonia. CVS has been pestering me to get boosted ... I wonder if they will give my horse a pneumonia vaccine too? Lol.

In the meantime, once I re-arranged the bridle to miss all the raw spots, we had some fabulous rides. I need to schedule some lessons with my barn owner.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:17 pm

Oh dang, I hope you can get Maia feeling better. So frustrating when something blows up like that out of nowhere. Poor thing!

Moutaineer, looks like a fun group to hang/ride with!

This morning I experimented with a different warmup routine: hopped on T and went for a little hack (because she's a big girl and can do that now), then warmed her up in a stretchy trot in the arena, hopped off and put her in side reins (I use Lauffer/running reins) and did some t/c/w/c transitions to convince her that she can and will step up and go forward to the bit. After that, hopped back on and was able to have a really solid ride with little to no sucking back. She's still not quite going to my hand in the NovoContact. I might put her back in the Fager (Myler style mouthpiece) with a regular bridle instead of the Micklem. It seems like we need something just in between as she gets a little stiff and locked on the non-collapsing bit, but won't quite take the jointed bit forward to the connection. However, now we can do things like trot SI down the long side, canter a 15 m circle at C, then HI to HP on the next long side, and canter out of it on the other lead.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:53 pm

I'm taking a lesson with a new instructor tomorrow and i'm both eager to get back in a more regular cadence with someone. But I am also a bit nervous.

I also don't know which horse to ride!

Where I think I need the most help is with RP. I do feel like he and I are at a critical cross road and I need to make sure I am rehabbing him/building him up correctly if there is a chance of us making it through this SI stuff. But I'm worried about bringing a horse that is not able to consistently canter on both leads and is basically in rehab to a new instructor. An established one, of course. But a new one feels a bit risky.

My other option is MM, which is perfectly good/fine option. But I do think at this stage, where i don't have very focused goals other than happiness and health, it's less of a 'need'. So, I keep flip flopping back and forth on who to ride.

Either way, I hope it's successful and provides a good option as my beloved trainer who i've been working with for many years has become difficult to schedule lessons with from a logistics stand point (our schedules, his new location, etc)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:25 pm

Blob, I think I would be inclined to take MM so the new instructor can assess you more as a rider without throwing more of a wildcard in with RPs issues. Next time you can take RP. I hope the new instructor works out for you!

Jingles for Annabelle - her right knee was warm and swollen this morning. We are going to the vet this afternoon to get it checked out and get a bit of proud flesh treated. I'm hoping it just needs to be debrided so it can drain a bit. She didn't seem lame this morning when I walked her back and forth to the washrack, but I didn't spend a lot of time since I'd had just stopped by on my way to work.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:14 pm

Oh SF, give us an update on A when you can. Sending more healing jingles!

And jingles for Maia too

Blob, I agree with SF. For a new instructor I would take MM for the reasons she suggested. Hope it goes well whoever you take!

We had a great schooling show yesterday and completed our second Second Level test, Test 1 with a 68%. We earned a 58.8% on the first one we rode about a month and half ago, and I thought the judge was kind. First Level T3 is what we are hoping to ride at GAIGs and that keeps getting better with each show and our learning from the judges comments. We got a 70.5%. It was quite hot when we rode so I felt like he was a little sluggish and I see it in the videos. I'm so pleased with my boy.

Stll trying to get more forward in the lengthenings, one of the judges suggested that he's tight in his shoulders so I'll see what my trainer says. We have a little head wagging on the last 1/4 of our 10 m canter circles, I'm thinking we need more forward and I need to make sure I'm not pulling my inside hand back or blocking with the outside. I also think the forward and him building more strength will help with that. And overall he wasn't forward enough so he looks inconsistent on the contact at times.

And due to comments from our last tests, I worked on our LY to the right and that score was amazing, but apparently now I need to do the same with my LY to the left :lol: (which I completely felt ugh, not well-prepared -and I knew exactly what I would get)

I feel like I've finally gotten over my show nerves and now I can focus on riding my horse, that's huge for me. It's only been 35 years or so.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:15 pm

I tend to agree to take MM Blob. Only because you really want to assess the instructor to make sure they are what you want. I've become more fussy as I've gotten older as to who I get lessons from. They really have to suit you and your horses.
RP - if in rehab, you want an instructor that understands or has good background in rehab.
My opinion only, do what you feel is best for you!!

Mountaineer, great pic! Ooh blue sky, i'm missing it right now :)
Poor Maia, that doesn't sound nice. Same for Annabelle, hope that it can be tidied up ok.
Nice scores Chantal! So good to have improvement like that. Congrats.

I visited the stud where my little black horse is from. They breed friesian x knabstruppers. I'm very tempted by one that is half brother to my black horse. He's a bit smaller than I'd like though. Maybe 15.1hh ... but is built very solidly. Arghhhh but I want him!! :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:20 am

Annabelle is Ok. She got the thin layer of proud flesh scraped off and sent home with some special proud flesh ointment. The vet thought rebound swelling since her wraps had fallen off her knees overnight. Now we start daily knee mobility exercises and may need to treat for proud flesh again. Horses, they drive me to drink! (Except I don't need a hangover for my jumping lesson in the morning).

A Friesian Knab would be interesting!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:14 am

Good news about Annabelle!

Yes, I am in a good place with a bunch of fun and supportive like-minded people. It really is great.

I'd find a Freisian Knab quite hard to resist. (Theres a nice looking Knab youngster for sale just down the road from me at a very reasonable price. Sadly I neither need or want or could remotely afford another horse...)

However, I'm really enjoying my horse :)

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:50 pm

I am just following along. No real goals except to enjoy my horse when I can see her.

I have been riding her in either her LTJ roller bit or my bastard full double and she has seemed quite happy and agreeable. Soft in the connection, relaxed and forward. Heck...that is a good place to be in. I have been working on lateral work in hand and now that she seems happier and better relaxed, we will get back to lateral work under saddle.

SF, I am glad Annabelle is on the mend. heddylamar...don't you just hate it. I had a mare I went to the barn to find horridly swollen from her chest down the insides of both front legs. She was oozing serum from around her chestnuts and around the top of her hoof! I decided she had had multiple stings from a hornet nest on the side of her shed that I hadn't noticed. The vet was afraid to give her steroids due to the serum coming out around the coronary band. She wasn't sure she wasn't going to slough her feet :shock: .

I am back to volcano watching. Iceland has another eruption near Reykjavik. Darn it...missed it by 58 days.

Susan

blob

Postby blob » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:22 pm

So glad to hear Annabelle is doing ok and on the mend.

Flight, what is Ding's non-fresian half? Is he also a knab x?

Chantal-- sounds like a very successful schooling show! Getting over show nerves is a big one and something I struggle with still when i'm riding anything above first level.

I had my lesson yesterday and despite all the very good advice, I ended up riding RP, ha. I feel like I am at such a critical crossroads with him and if I don't get some help fast then I am liking looking at having to rehome him as a non-riding companion horse within a few months. Even with help that might be the case, but I need to feel like I really did everything as right as possible -- correct riding, proper supportive care, etc and know that even with all the correct steps he still can't canter. I explained to the instructor that it might be more of a remedial lesson that this was a horse successfully competing at first level and schooling most of second and now cannot really canter a successful circle. And I need help.

Overall the lesson was good--we spent time working on really getting him off my my legs correctly-- a sharper LY, a clearer rib-cage bend in the trot. We did an exercise where I would LY from rail to centerline then walk, do a TOF off the same leg to 180 degrees and then trot off and continue LYing off the same leg. Off the right leg we could do this easier than the left leg, yet when working on bending lines, i had a much harder time keeping him bent correctly right without him falling on the right shoulder. So, that was helpful. The trot work we did set me up for a somewhat successful left lead canter. It felt unbalanced like a much greener horse but the gait was 3 beat and he didn't swap behind. Going right, it felt worse, but better than it has been on my own. She admitted that she wasn't exactly sure what to make of the right lead canter issues and the best solve. But we talked through some exercises to help better get him off my right leg and softer in the right rein without me getting hangy in it. She said that I should try that for a week or so and let's see how those exercises help and then we might have to adjust/try different things. I have a harder time keeping my body to the right, so that doesn't help. But I will try to practice what we worked on and see if it improves things. I think it is worth it for me to do a couple lessons with her in fairly short succession to see if she can help us get through some of this canter stuff and then asses whether i think it's a good fit and also go back to my ideal lesson cadence (1-2x a month).

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:15 am

Sounds like a good start blob. It does take a few lessons sometimes and figuring things out. I don't think you could have gone wrong taking either horse. Good for you!

I got pics from the photographer from the recognized show. I'm still on cloud 9 with my guy. Lots of stuff to work on but enjoying the good stuff.

We played with half passes today, trot and canter. He could only hold the canter for 4 strides or so, but it was our first try. Trot half=pass is easy for him, not perfect, but fun!!
Attachments
Just keep cantering.jpg
Just keep cantering.jpg (181.92 KiB) Viewed 173402 times
Almost done centerline.jpg
Almost done centerline.jpg (180.89 KiB) Viewed 173402 times
Stretchyish trot.jpg
Stretchyish trot.jpg (251 KiB) Viewed 173402 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:42 am

Great pictures Chantal!

Blob, I think I mentioned it before but Monty, who earned my silver for me, did have canter issues when he was 5. He all of a sudden started swapping leads in the back and cross cantering. I got a lot of 'bail out' recommendations from many people; but, we persevered and worked on teaching him how to use his body properly. It obviously worked. By the time he was 6 we were showing first level and earning great scores. Sometimes, whether due to injuries that resolve, hoof issues or something else, challenges with balance can develop and habits then form and, well, you go back to square one to more-or-less rebuild as I know you already know. I get you on wanting to explore all possibilities. Good luck.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:53 am

Great pictures Chantal - I think Tesla might be Mikey's evil twin :mrgreen:

Blob, glad the lesson went well. I hope it continues to be helpful for RP!

Yesterday I had a jumping lesson with the BO and Tesla was quite a PITA. I needed ground assistance with the lunge whip more than once to get her moving, and we had to put the jumps up to verticals because she was just ignoring me and charging through the ground poles and crossrails. I chalked it up 90% to Annabelle being in the little paddock next to the arena minding her own business. This morning I put her one paddock over, and did the warmup/lunge in SRs/back to work routine, and she was really good. I wish I could have stayed on longer, but had to get to work. Tomorrow I'm taking a couple hours off to haul her out and ride in another arena. We'll try the same routine and see if it helps with the sucking back.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:50 am

SF-I agree, T and Mikey could definitely be twins :lol:

Last pic, not sure if you can tell how happy I was with him.
Attachments
Good boi.jpg
Good boi.jpg (180.98 KiB) Viewed 173371 times

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:05 pm

Lovely pictures Chantal. I especially like the canter picture.

I got in a short ride this morning and it was nice. She did get a bit of extra tension because we did some rapid fire trot-walk-trot transitions. It sure doesn’t take much to wind her up :roll: . I did a few TOH and I got 2 (1 each direction) that were super. Marching and she was able to keep it small. We went on our usual around the property cool down and the sticks were moving :shock: . Sticks aka snakes.
She didn’t lose it but sure gave the moving snake the side eye and a few snorts.

Susan
Last edited by Kyras_Mom on Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:39 pm

Love the inspirational photos, Chantal! You and Mikey both look like the ideal happy athletes the directives are looking for!

Me, not so much. I'm wilting. We did get a bit of a respite in the heat last week with highs only in the mid-90s instead of 100+, but the rain has moved out and the heat's back on us. Rudely, humidity is also high (40-60%) so it's like a sauna outside but without the reprieve of being able to leave.

So Queso and I are doing lots of walking. Still getting some baby progress in the bend department, thankfully, but mostly just trying to stop the backslide vs. make any material progress.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:30 pm

The vet was out today — finally, after a reschedule! Despite a big coughing fit in the barn aisle, he declared Maia's lungs infection-free. He had a neat blood testing stable lab gizmo and tested her blood. And, yes, to an infected eye, but no scratched cornea. And he was all for my skin treatment plan — it's clearing up now, not spreading. So we're treating for allergies and more medicated eye goop, fly masks, and back out 24/7 until he's back out in 4 weeks.

Fly masks? Oh joy. Maia is not a fan. I ordered a bunch of different very bright colored fly masks so I can find them ... I need to find one that stays on for more than a few minutes /sigh

Great photos @Chantal! Was that R4L? I used to scribe there every June.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:15 pm

Boy its been hot riding the last couple of days. Exhausting. And its going to get worse.

And while all the new landscaping etc around the barn looks very smart, next to the new asphalt, using black lava rock as mulch would not have been my choice. Its simmering all the newly planted vegetation (and us) quite nicely. But its not my money and no one asked my opinion.

We've all been a bit "off" in the barn, headaches, upset stomachs and gut pain. Trainer was much worse than the rest of us, got tested and has an e-coli infection. I'm hoping we aren't all sharing that joy.

We are just working diligently away at stuff prior to our show next weekend. We seem to have got over ourselves with the shoulder in and half pass mental block-stopping getting uptight about it and hanging on his face and just humming to myself as we go about it seem to have helped quite a lot!

Getting through a fairly rigorous warm up and then riding the test out in the late morning sun just about finished me off today. Thank goodness the show warm up is inside, and I should get a reasonably early ride time, with any luck. I remember now why I stopped trying to ride 2 tests in one day!

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:51 am

Felt like I made some good progress with Junior's tension/broom stick issues. He has had four days off due to being too sick to ride on Sunday and then working Mon - Wed. Got up early enough to ride him at six 'cause all of Arizona is experiencing a heat wave (so glad to be out of the valley). He was forward and after a relatively short warm up (which included walking the mile to the arena) is was soft most of the time. The few exceptions were brief moments watching a young coyote playing out in the field next to the arena. He would run, jump, pounce, race around and repeat. Not sure if there was actually any prey involved but he seemed to be having such a good time and after about 20 minutes decided to trot off. Brandon, however, was an entirely different story. He wasn't too bad walking down to the arena, certainly looked and shied more than Junior; but, he was determined to be high headed, uptight, unyielding, etc. I worked hard to slow the tempo in walk and trot down, the opposite of what he wanted and threw in several different leg-yielding exercises and finally just went to the canter. Ended up riding for longer than I had planned and we both were soaking wet by the time I felt he was listening well enough I could quit. While the move has clearly been great for Junior, I'm having second thoughts on if it was the best thing for Brandon. Tomorrow is another day.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:10 am

I had a lovely hay field hack and a bit of work today. Was nice to finally get out of the arena. Hay has been cut and it’s dry enough now to ride in. The only downside is we are stifling with our humidity. Have not had triple digit actual temperature but over 80% humidity day and and day out is no fun. So I’m working some but not pushing too much.

We are also heading out for vacation next week though I do have friends coming to lunge Joplin in the band which btw between the band and the ground exercises has definitely tightened her stifles up. Vet/friend was very happy with her yesterday now to increase the time in the band judiciously.

Lovely pictures chantal!

Good luck at the shows all who are going

Stay cool and happy riding!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:19 am

I'm venting, but I decided to step back for Saiph and am preparing for a show with a lower level of difficulty. Well. I think now it's a giant easier of show fees. I moved a couple of things in the indoor because I'm grooming and leveling the footing. Saiph was , to put it politely, a completely unrideable twit regardless of how easy the work was. I'm ridiculous if I think I will ever have a sensible rideable horse at a show. If I cannot move the mounting block in the indoor workout her becoming unglued, how the duck am I supposed to show her. Big sigh.

Please understand she doesn't just spook. She stops won't go forward rears if I insist. And then when I finally get her moving she shits off slows down stiffens or Twista every single time four the whole ride. If I change angle, ie try to shoulder in, or h alf pass or go across the diagonal it's a If it's a whole new thing.

I have ridden so many spooky horses. I mean a life time of showing Arabs, and even Rose, my hardest horse ever, and poor Deneb, would not hang onto tension so much for so long.

Showing is hard enough, I really don't need the added ridiculousness anymore.

I feel like scrapping the show and throwing the money away.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:52 pm

Chisamba I don’t blame you if you decide to step back from Saiph. I do not regret retiring Rip at all. He was a holder on of spook tension as well along with other issues. Don’t miss it. That has become my measuring stick for horses I ride now. Can they spook and then forget it. Within reason. Joplin absolutely can. As little as she’s shown or been hauled off to ride she is and will always be one to count on to be steady. Heck Rip had to have the day before to get his stupidity under control Joplin can step off the trailer and go to work. Showing is too expensive and too time consuming to not have a horse you can count on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:53 pm

That is frustrating Chisamba. Is she that bad at shows? I had a mare who was actually excellent at shows, hated change in her home place. If the water level in the trough next to our home arena changed, she would spook at it every pass for the entire ride, but the water truck roaring by spewing water, or a kid literally climbing the show arena rail 2' from us didn't even get a glance. I just wonder what goes through their heads sometimes!

On the theme of going places, I hauled Tesla out to ride yesterday morning. She was a little excitable coming off the trailer, but I hopped right on her in the indoor and had a productive warmup and was able to canter without getting off and doing the sidereins routine first. Then we headed to one of the outdoor arenas and I put her right back to work. She was a little looky, but overall went right back at it and did her cantering without sucking back. I think it was some of our best canter work; it is usually feeling 3-beat and she is learning to lift her shoulders up more and allowing me to shape her a bit. We finished up with a little more work in the indoor so I could use the mirrors to check our baby halfpass. Sunday and Monday my instructor is back in town so we'll have a couple lessons, hopefully first thing in the morning since it's supposed to be 105 on Sunday.

Rebandaged Annabelle's right knee last night and it is looking quite good. She has been getting a little limited turnout, and I think we'll start tack walking next week.
Keep calm and canter on.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:34 pm

Oh Chantal how you not be smiling?! Just lovely.

We've been doing our monsoon training pre-show on Sunday. Thunderstorms forecasted so hard to say what will happen but we'll pack up and go. Our Vermont venue got washed out in addition to most roads on the route to it so it's very TBD for the end of the month. Kora feels good and workable so we'll either get to show or start flying change hell early.

Regardless I made sure to get some puddle training in today just in case :lol:

https://youtu.be/ryXXGDIJfkU

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:51 am

She is worst at shows. But not ever dangerous just ridiculous tense and sucked back. She doesn't like being alone. So she can relax in the busy warm up and then just tense up ad she realizes she is alone in the ring. She's be a good hunter pleasure horse

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:52 am

Ponichiwa-thank you :D

heddylamar-yes, R4L, this was the last year after 20 years. It was one of my goals and we finally made it, yay!!

Good luck at your show moutaineer

exvet, i missed the part where you moved. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment for Brandon, or a phase of his training.

Thank you Khali and Aleuronx :D Aleuronx-Kora looks great, your puddle work looks great. She's lovely and so steady.

Chisamba-I wish I could help. Mikey was that way at the schooling show before our recognized show. I was beside myself. I forgot the last bit of my test and got an error as I was working so hard to try to ride the horse under me, sucked back, looky, just not paying attention to me. Wishing you the best.

SF-sounds like A is healing, sending more healing jingles

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:26 pm

Lovely pics Chantal! It's nice when the horse and rider look happy :)

Blob, Ding is friesian x thoroughbred. Sounds like a good lesson and I totally understand that you are at that critical point with RP. If you get to the point that you can't find anyone to help you, I highly recommend Belinda Bolsenbroek (can google her) for rehab stuff. She is in europe but you can send her vid or she does live online lessons. Can let you know more if you get to that point.

Chisamba, I hear your frustration. It's hard with all the effort of training and going to a show and then it's a disaster. Has she done many shows? Maybe it's a matter of getting her out a lot more? Time and effort and $ I know.
Norsey sucks back, the first few times I couldn't even touch his mouth. I've got these floppy reins and my horses head is curled in, it was shit. It's getting better now, but that's his go to thing when he's nervous.

I finally realised I had to do something about Norsey and his scary corner of the arena. It's scary because my neighbour has an old shed and piles of his stuff and my arena is close to the fenceline. Also, his dogs (Staffies) periodically hunt rabbits in amongst it all. But I've been riding in about 1/2 my arena because of it and he'll slam the brakes on or scoot off, and I'm just a bit sick of it.
I first tried the Warwick Schiller destination addiction thing, he was attracted down to where Ding was in the paddock. But the poor thing, he got to the point where he stopped and would think about going back to Ding and go 'nope, can't do that" and then closer to the corner and 'nup, too scary" and I'd just essentially trapped him. I felt mean.
So stopped doing that! And then I just waited for him to be ok, and as soon as he stepped off my line, I stopped and let him look and waited. If he sped up or slowed down near the corner, I just stopped and let him look. It's boring as hell, but you know the first day only took about 20 mins before I could trot and canter around the corner. I shouldn't have cantered it that day, that was a bit much too soon.
The second day (yesterday) it was very windy, and he started out going nowhere near it. Did a couple of decent shies too, but my Pivo kept disconnecting so I missed it. I thought I was in for hours of sitting and waiting. But after a shorter amount of time he was going around the corner by himself. Still with an ear on it but I'm not having to make him do it.

I did some vid... i've sped it up so it's not quite as boring to watch. I'll have to see how is today.

https://youtu.be/3GU0xefCJ4w

Return to “Dressage Training”